** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20

Evo-Stik Northern Prem Saturday 20 August 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Burscough v North Ferriby United (15:00 BST) 2 13/5 6/5 106.57 %
maximize.gif Chorley v Buxton (15:00 BST) 4/6 11/4 7/2 107.60 %
maximize.gif FC United of Manchester v Chasetown (15:00 BST) 4/7 14/5 9/2 108.19 %
maximize.gif Hednesford Town v Chester FC (15:00 BST) 8/5 12/5 13/10 111.35 %
maximize.gif Matlock Town v Kendal Town (15:00 BST) 13/8 13/5 6/5 111.26 %
maximize.gif Nantwich Town v Bradford Park Avenue (15:00 BST) 13/5 13/5 11/10 103.17 %
maximize.gif Northwich Victoria v Frickley Athletic (15:00 BST) 8/11 14/5 10/3 107.20 %
maximize.gif Rushall Olympic v Ashton United (15:00 BST) 6/5 5/2 7/4 110.39 %
maximize.gif Stocksbridge Park Steels v Stafford Rangers (15:00 BST) 7/5 13/5 7/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Whitby Town v Mickleover Sports (15:00 BST) 7/5 13/5 7/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Worksop Town v Marine (15:00 BST) 13/8 13/5 11/8 107.89 %
Evo-Stik Southern Prem Saturday 20 August 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif AFC Totton v Swindon Supermarine (15:00 BST) 2/5 10/3 5 111.17 %
maximize.gif Barwell v St Albans City (15:00 BST) 7/5 13/5 7/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Bashley v Banbury United (15:00 BST) 8/11 11/4 11/4 111.23 %
maximize.gif Brackley Town v Bedford Town (15:00 BST) 4/11 10/3 6 111.43 %
maximize.gif Cambridge City v Stourbridge (15:00 BST) 4/6 14/5 3 111.32 %
maximize.gif Chippenham Town v Chesham United (15:00 BST) 6/5 13/5 13/8 111.33 %
maximize.gif Cirencester Town v Oxford City (15:00 BST) 13/8 13/5 6/5 111.33 %
maximize.gif Frome Town v Arlesey Town (15:00 BST) 4/5 13/5 13/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Hitchin Town v Evesham United (15:00 BST) 4/6 14/5 3 111.32 %
maximize.gif Leamington v Weymouth (15:00 BST) 8/13 14/5 10/3 111.30 %
Ryman Prem Saturday 20 August 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Aveley v Kingstonian (15:00 BST) 2 13/5 1/1 111.11 %
maximize.gif Billericay Town v Leatherhead (15:00 BST) 10/11 13/5 5/2 108.73 %
maximize.gif Canvey Island v Carshalton Athletic (15:00 BST) 13/10 13/5 6/4 111.26 %
maximize.gif Hastings United v Wingate & Finchley (15:00 BST) 5/4 5/2 7/4 109.38 %
maximize.gif Hendon v Concord Rangers (15:00 BST) 7/5 13/5 7/5 111.11 %
maximize.gif Horsham v Bury Town (15:00 BST) 3 14/5 4/5 106.87 %
maximize.gif Lowestoft Town v Lewes (15:00 BST) 6/5 5/2 7/4 110.39 %
maximize.gif Metropolitan Police v Harrow Borough (15:00 BST) 6/5 13/5 13/8 111.26 %
maximize.gif Tooting & Mitcham United v East Thurrock United (15:00 BST) 11/8 13/5 6/4 109.79 %
maximize.gif Wealdstone v Margate (15:00 BST) 1/1 13/5 11/5 109.03 %

Re: England > Midweek > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Bury Town away at Horsham (4/5 Corals) The initial price of 10/11 - highlighted on the other thread - has come in, but I have to say that even now the price is too high about the away side. Bury are credible top five candidates, and in all honesty with a fair wind they are probably good enough to win the title, though their attacking style will be their let down against more clinical side. One thing they can do with aplomb is pick off weaker oppenents (they put five past a fancied Ryman 1 side Leiston in their last friendly). Given that Horsham have spent the summer wrestling with a tiny budget, it's no surprise that most of last season's squad have departed and the past six weeks have been spent rifling through the lists of triallists in an attempt to get a competitive side. I saw one of these games a few weeks ago, and while the miscellany of players that wore Horsham shirts (and was second best to a bog-standard Combined Counties outfit) won't have much relationship to the XI that start on Saturday, it did illustrate just what Horsham are up against. Bury are a confident team, with one or two additions to an already healthy squad; Horsham are a bunch of strangers, with a squad still some way short of being completed. Have to wish new boss Justin Lutchford the best of luck; he did a great job at Faversham Town but as things stand at the moment there isn't a weaker squad in the section.

Re: England > Midweek > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Wingate & Finchley away at Hastings United (7/4 Corals) To a lesser degree, this is version of the game above: a progressive away side up against hosts who are struggling with a reduced budget. Things had been looking a wee bit brighter for Hastings at the end of last season, and full marks to boss Jason Hopkinson for making something of the ruins of Tony Dolby's squad, but it has not been an easy few months. Though some of the improving squad from last season remain, he's lost Tim Olorunda and is still some way off getting a competitive squad in place. Pre-season results have hardly been morale boosting. W&F should have some promotion momentum, though I have to confess that David Norman's squad looks a touch overweight - with half-a-dozen new signings supplementing all of last season's successful side. But pre-season has been decent; apart from a 3-2 defeat to a useful Dulwich Hamlet side, they have beaten Hemel, put eight past Uxbridge, and had a bonding session in Spain. I make them slight favourites for this, so 7/4 is good value.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Skybet's list is finally up - the bookies are certainly the slowest they've been in my eight seasons of this lark. They are way out of line with Hitchin Town at 10/11 at home to Evesham United. Evesham are battling hard and they've a better starting XI this Saturday, but at home Hitchin are going to be a tough nut to crack this season. With John Frendo back in the side, and Mitchell Cole getting up to speed, Hitchin look to have too much for a side that did little of note in losing their first two games 1-0. It's also odd they go 4/5 about AFC Totton against Swindon. The home side are not invulnerable, but they have attacking intent throughout the side, and defence is where Swindon are weakest. Big price that.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 North Ferriby United away at Burscough (6/5 Coral, Skybet) The visitors look far better equipped in this one, although it has to be admitted that the defence has looked a touch suspect. Even so, they can overpower a ropey looking Burscough side who've managed to be competitive for only short spells. Provided Ferriby don't score any own goals or give away any pens they have enough in attack to win this.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Chesham United away at Chippenham Town (7/4 Skybet) The injury crisis at Chippenham has been dogging them for a week now, and to be fair they worked hard in the Evesham win, showing a lot of spirit. But they haven't faced a side as good as Chesham, who were unlucky to come home pointless from Brackley, outplaying the home side for long spells. They are having a bit of trouble converting, but Simon Thomas is already among the goals and I won't be surprised if he gets well into the 20s this season. On a normal Saturday they are a touch better than Chippenham, I think; with half the Chippenham first team out, I have to take this decent price about Chesham. Elsewhere, there is plenty to tickle the fancy, and I quite fancy Marine to continue their good start at Worksop, who've signed Luke Beckett to ease their injury crisis. Harrow Borough could also surprise Met Police, who have had a very disrupted pre-season and may be a fortnight away from getting up to speed. I underestimated Mickleover Town last week, and I'm tempted to make amends by backing them against a Whitby Town who weren't at the races midweek. I'll leave those for now though.

Re: England > Midweek > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20

Wingate & Finchley away at Hastings United (7/4 Corals) To a lesser degree, this is version of the game above: a progressive away side up against hosts who are struggling with a reduced budget. Things had been looking a wee bit brighter for Hastings at the end of last season, and full marks to boss Jason Hopkinson for making something of the ruins of Tony Dolby's squad, but it has not been an easy few months. Though some of the improving squad from last season remain, he's lost Tim Olorunda and is still some way off getting a competitive squad in place. Pre-season results have hardly been morale boosting. W&F should have some promotion momentum, though I have to confess that David Norman's squad looks a touch overweight - with half-a-dozen new signings supplementing all of last season's successful side. But pre-season has been decent; apart from a 3-2 defeat to a useful Dulwich Hamlet side, they have beaten Hemel, put eight past Uxbridge, and had a bonding session in Spain. I make them slight favourites for this, so 7/4 is good value.
Hopkinson said in the paper last week that he would have liked another 2 weeks of pre-season really as the side is yet to be finalised, pre season results have been rotten and as has been said previously they have bugger all money..pitch is beatiful though! One of the best anywhere, and if any free flowing sides come down they will love it..not going to pretend to know much about this level but I imagine there are plenty of better sides than United who survived by the skin of their teeth last year and have now lost most of their decent players.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20

Kingstonian have strengthened during the close season and are going to make a huge effort for Conference South status this season. I like them at 1/1 at Aveley. (Stan James.)
I won't put you off if you strongly fancy it, as they have an edge over Aveley, but my feeling is that Kingstonian still have a bit of work to do. They are not as sure-footed going forward as they were last season, where Traynor/Wilson-Denis provided a valuable smash-and-grab combination. And for most of the season they had Dean Lodge, who really gave them something different and won matches on his own; Michael Gordon has been signed to perform that role but he joined late in pre-season. They are solid at the back with Gary MacDonald and Tom Hutchinson as good as it gets in the centre at this level, but Tom Bird's future is uncertain. They have some good midfielders but I sense a bit of uncertainty as to their best formation. They have made one very good signing in Jack MacCleod, though he's yet to find the right position. Alan Dowson is a good manager who I rate highly and I think he'll definitely be fighting at the right end of the table, but they don't yet feel like the finished article.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20

I won't put you off if you strongly fancy it' date=' as they have an edge over Aveley, but my feeling is that Kingstonian still have a bit of work to do. They are not as sure-footed going forward as they were last season, where Traynor/Wilson-Denis provided a valuable smash-and-grab combination. And for most of the season they had Dean Lodge, who really gave them something different and won matches on his own; Michael Gordon has been signed to perform that role but he joined late in pre-season. They are solid at the back with Gary MacDonald and Tom Hutchinson as good as it gets in the centre at this level, but Tom Bird's future is uncertain. They have some good midfielders but I sense a bit of uncertainty as to their best formation. They have made one very good signing in Jack MacCleod, though he's yet to find the right position. Alan Dowson is a good manager who I rate highly and I think he'll definitely be fighting at the right end of the table, but they don't yet feel like the finished article.[/quote'] Thanks Ships, I know that they brought in Ian Selly to add a bit of experience. I've had a little look anyway.:hope

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Ships, as you are highlighting odds with coral, I assume that you still have an account with them? if so , I'm surprised, as mine has been closed! I was unable to log into my account last week, which I hadn't visited since the end of last season, when I withdrew most of my winnings, so I phoned their helpline, only to be told that my account had been closed "as a trading decision", they didn't even have the decency to let me know! I did not make a fortune last season (less than £1k), that's why I'm surprised that your account is still open! It's a bit of a blow, because as you know coral regularly offered the best odds on non league matches last season. The irony is that I was logging in to back Maidenhead, so I guess I can say I had the last laugh!

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Interesting blog here from a Hendon fan which has his preview of the Ryman season. http://whitmarshwhiskers.blogspot.com/ Thoughts of my own... Wingate and Fichley to beat Hastings United at 7/4 Corals, as highlighted by Ships above, has serious appeal. W & F have the momentum going after a cup double and play-off victory to end their season, while Hastings surived on goal difference. Also quite like the look of Ashton United to beat Rushall Olympic which is 9/5 Paddy Power and Sporting Bet. Rushall, newly promoted, have come from behind to draw their 2 games so far 1-1. Ashton were apparently impressive in seeing off Matlock 3-0 on the opening day before drawing 1-1 at Stocksbridge mid-week.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Ships has mentioned the Met Police and there was a little bit of info in todays Independant. It said that the riots have caused a very disrupted preseason and it meant that a couple of friendlies were meanlingless as the manager didnt have the firsts, seconds or thirds available. It said they are dangerously under-prepared for todays game against Harrow. Harrow are available at 13/8 in a few places.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Cheers to Ships for pointing out Wingate as I followed him on that and thankfully North Ferriby managed to get a 2nd goal as well. Bury hacked up as well for those of you on at the short odds.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 Happy with the weekend's efforts. Hitchin and Chesham failed but wins for Bury, Wingate & Finchley, Ferriby and AFC Totton brought home some decent bacon today. Have to say Met Police were a touch off the pace today, although they were fortunate to come up against a side that looked equally undercooked in Harrow Borough. Decent first half but not much of a game after and the Police's penalty was just reward for a slightly more coherent second half. The most noteworthy aspect of the game was the appearance of Christian Nanetti for Harrow, who had a great first half on the right but faded in the second when given a wide left role in a front three. He's got the lot: dodgy haircut, unnecessary step-overs, then mesmerising runs past three past defenders, which usually ends up with him falling over. He's the Ronaldo of the Ryman. They announced at the game that next Saturday's Wingate/Met Police match has been postponed and the Monday Leatherhead game bumped to the Wednesday - a carnival needs policing in town.

Re: England > Weekend > Evo-Stik Northern, Southern & Ryman Prem Aug 20 The reason why I held of on Harrow until this afternoon was the fact the manager said on the radio on Monday he hadnt seen them play for two weeks and I think he said hed only seen them play 3 friendlies. Sounds like that has made a difference for them as well