** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Everton to win @ 3.5, just had a bet on that... Everton should score at least one goal in the second half, can see QPR slipping up again.. Was also tempted with the 4.9 about Wigan but left that alone... Everton to come back and win, they need to bring Saha on though..

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August

Tip Detail
SportFootball (England - Prem)
EventChelsea v West Brom
SelectionChelsea
Strength10/10
Date20/08/2011
Bookmaker/PriceWilliam Hill @ 1.28
ReasoningChelsea will be to good for West Brom. They need to get there season going so should comfortably win. We are looking at a side who will finish in the top 3 against a side who will want to avoid relegation.

Sunderland - Newcastle: Sunderland @ 2.20 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 The odds are more than fair for Sunderland's win against Newcastle. Both teams started the season with a draw. Sunderland got a 1-1 draw at Liverpool which, given the odds for the match (Liverpool was at 1.50ish), should not have happened. So, the hosts will be coming into the match some confidence. Newcastle hosted a somewhat depleted Arsenal team that had an important CL match coming up and drew 0-0. The real difference is that Sunderland played reasonably well at Liverpool whereas Newcastle was probably lucky to catch Arsenal at a bad time. Newcastle didn't produce any creative football and will probably go into this match trying to avoid defeat. Arguably, Sunderland has a better quality roster and this a great opportunity to get a win against its arch rival in the North. Newcastle has the H2H in its favour (7-5-1) but it may just be time for this to be altered with a second win for Sunderland. Arsenal - Liverpool: Draw @ 3.25 (Bet365) 10/10 This is a big match between two teams which are favoured to compete for the top 4 places in the Premier. Much has been made about Arsenal's roster issues with players like Fabregas departing, others waiting to leave and some players out due to injury. Furthermore, Arsenal has to think about a CL qualifying match next week at Udinese. The hosts started the season with a lackluster 0-0 draw at Newcastle. They defeated Udinese 1-0, in London, but their win was less than convincing. Much has also been made about the potential of Liverpool this season. However, this was not confirmed in the first match against Sunderland where they drew 1-1. Despite Arsenal's roster issues I think they can put together a very competitive team for this match at home. Liverpool's roster has certainly improved on paper but it may take a bit of time for them to properly gel and produce results. In the end, it is very early in the season and both teams come into this match with a few question marks. In the last 6 h2h matches between them they have played to 4 draws including 2/3 in London. Given the circumstances the draw provides a good percentage bet, I think. Swansea - Wigan: Draw @ 3.40 (SkyBet) 10/10 Potentially, this could be a 6 pointer between two teams which may struggle to avoid relegation. Swansea, newly promoted, is the number one favourite to drop from the Premier League. The hosts were clobbered in the first match at Manchester City (4-0) which was expected. Last season Swansea was very strong at home, but that was in the Championship League and I think the perceived home strength will be compromised this season in the Premier League against teams with remarkably better rosters. Wigan managed to avoid relegation last season but only by three points. The guests started the season with a 1-1 draw against another newly promoted team, Norwich, which wasn't a great start. Wigan will probably struggle again this season, but it has more experience in the Premier League and is probably half a click better than Swansea at the moment. The encounter resembles the QPR - Bolton match and I would have been inclined to take Wigan as winners here had they won against Norwich. Swansea will have some extra pressure and nerves given that they are playing the first Premier match at home. I think the hosts will be careful and not push too much forward since they really don't want to lose 2 consecutive matches at the start of the season. Wigan will play for 2 results (X2) but judging from the performance against Norwich I don't think they will get more than a draw. The draw provides a good percentage bet here and the odds are good. Good Luck...:hope
Not very good....but +4 units profit nevertheless....

RE: Swansea V Wigan.... Not that I'll be taking it, but you couldn't go far wrong backing the unders @ about 1.78/1.79 - Betfair. I agree I think the odds on Swansea seem a little bit lacking in value currently, considering they face an....established??:unsure ..... Premier league side. Allbeit a Wigan Athletic side that seem destined for another relegation scrap. However, even this early in the season, both managers will be aware this is very much a six pointers, and we don't really know how Swansea will perform on their own turf in this league, especially after experiencing a 4-0 demolition job last weekend. That's probably something this side won't be used to....i.e. winning one week, drawing the next, then getting absolutely stuffed for the next three games, and having to win a six pointer just like that. Wigan have never been particularly big scorers in this league, especially away from home, and I expect Swansea to have the lions share of possession, with possibly a slight lack of cutting edge, as Wigan will be desperate not to lose I think.
60% possession says it all really :\ Swansea remind me of England. They really need to devise a way of getting the ball through midfield to create chances, and sort their movement out :(

What to people think of: Everton QPR- QPR AH + 1 @ evens Betfair QPR were indeed awful last weekend, especially individual errors at the back. The score line somewhat flattered Bolton, especially after QPR bossed the 1st half and conceded a stunner with the last kick of the 1st half. This will be Everton's first home game of the season and will be looking to make a good start. However, for whatever reason, Everton always start off the seasons badly, it has become a recurring theme for them to steamroller their way through the 2nd half of the season after being in the lower half of the season till XMAS. The crowd will be quick to jump on the back of them without a good start here, especially as they assume it could be a cakewalk due to QPR's poor performance last week. Everton more often than not will win, but I think QPR could be a bit more dangerous away from home on the counter, with speed merchants Campbell and Routledge being cause for concern. The bet provide leverage even with a narrow Everton win and I believe it would be surprising to see them win by more than two, so bet this appeals. I don't expect the price to come in so will wait till nearer K/O
Nailed this one :beer

Everton Vs QPR: I'm going to stick my neck out here and go for QPR DNB. I think 5.50 is nice value here. I very rarely bet in favour of Everton at the best of times, I find them far too unpredictible and too many times they draw when they should be winning. QPR i feel have been marked up because of their opening result, and thats fair enough, but with a new takeover may bring some renewed optimism. Everton without Arteta (fitness test) do tend to lack abit of spark and if it's still 0-0 after 60mins I see the fans getting at them abit. QPR DNB (5.50) Bet365
:ok

60% possession says it all really :\ Swansea remind me of England. They really need to devise a way of getting the ball through midfield to create chances' date=' and sort their movement out :([/quote'] Really? They created a lot of chances and they got the ball through midfield well. The trouble was the final product wasn't good enough. I was open minded about Graham but from what I've seen he isn't Prem quality. Nothing like England imo.

Really? They created a lot of chances and they got the ball through midfield well. The trouble was the final product wasn't good enough. I was open minded about Graham but from what I've seen he isn't Prem quality. Nothing like England imo.
I watched the game and I felt they had lots of half chances, nothing really testing, a few long shots. The England reference was to do with the pace of the passing at times, the way in which Swansea were happy to just knock the ball about without any real driving force, and occasionally they seemed to run out of idea and play a direct hopeful pass. It just reminded me of England...

Everton Vs QPR: I'm going to stick my neck out here and go for QPR DNB. I think 5.50 is nice value here. I very rarely bet in favour of Everton at the best of times, I find them far too unpredictible and too many times they draw when they should be winning. QPR i feel have been marked up because of their opening result, and thats fair enough, but with a new takeover may bring some renewed optimism. Everton without Arteta (fitness test) do tend to lack abit of spark and if it's still 0-0 after 60mins I see the fans getting at them abit. QPR DNB (5.50) Bet365
Really pleased this came came in for you. Great shout:ok

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August A Stoke win tomorrow for me. Will be a real welcome to the premiership game for Norwich against a very physical team who will be on a high from their win in europe in the week. Can't see Norwich having enough quality to break down the Stoke defense and can see Stoke eventually wearing down Norwich, most likely a low scoring Stoke win IMO.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Wolves v Fulham - Goal Before 32:00 @ 1.83 - B365 2pts Just stumbled on a stat that looks solid enough to back this. Wolves at home are usually quick out of the blocks in terms of attacking play. In their last 10 home matches (from last season) this would have banked 9 times, some quite comfortably. Everyone knows that Wolves can be got at in the other direction so I feel this has some value but I'm not going crazy with it. Last two meetings: 23 April 2011 - Wolves 1-1 Fulham - First Goal 22' 20 Sept 2009 - Wolves 2-1 Fulham - First Goal 18'

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August English Soccer 2011-2012 1W-3L-0P -3.04 units (25.00%) Norwich pick -118 to win 1 unit @ 5dimes Stoke terrible on the road, they haven't won a game on the road since last year in December. I'm sure people will be hoping all over them after an impressive goalless draw against Chelsea. But this team is completely different on the road!

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August AGurv, I would be careful about your reasoning. Stoke have won both of their Europa League games away from home against, in my opinion, better teams than Norwich. Ok they have not won in the prem since last december but on the form they have shown this term so far I will be doing Stoke double chance as I cant see them losing to Norwich. Just have to wait on team news. Good luck with your bets

AGurv, I would be careful about your reasoning. Stoke have won both of their Europa League games away from home against, in my opinion, better teams than Norwich. Ok they have not won in the prem since last december but on the form they have shown this term so far I will be doing Stoke double chance as I cant see them losing to Norwich. Just have to wait on team news. Good luck with your bets
No offense, but I also think Stoke should be priced higher to back them. Regardless of who plays who, this is EPL, and surprise results are here often enough. ...And just how big of a surprise will a Norwich Home Win be after QPR yesterday going home with all 3 points? I've seen some good picks by AGurv here, he sees value in Norwich, and I wish him luck...This game is NO BET to me.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August I don't know why anyone needs to get heavily involved this early in the season. Norwich V Stoke is impossible to call. Simply because we don't know how Norwich will perform in front of their own fans for their first time back in the top division. We also can't discount the fact that Stoke are usually not the best equipped away side in the league....having said that, I believe they did improve away from home last season. We also don't quite know how they will cope with European football midweek followed by a league fixture at the weekend. I personally would be wary jumping on Stoke because they will have had no time to prepare for this fixture, considering they were in Switzerland on Thursday, and now find themselves in Norfolk today. Personally I don't see either how Split and FC Thun could be considered better sides than Norwich because there's no comparison. It's like chalk and cheese. Under 3 for Stoke though does look quite skinny, but I can't help but feel that one side will win quite comfortably :unsure Elswehere Wolves V Fulham....similar scenario.....Fulham are probably going to be a different beast under Jol away from home, so it's tough to know how they will set themselves up. I think they'll be slightly more aggressive as they shouldn't really have much to fear from Wolves. Bolton V Man City.....bit of a coin toss really as to whether City will get out of bed this week or not. Which makes anything less than two just not worth it. Probably one to watch in-play.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August My bets for today's games. Wolves v Fulham Over 2.5 @ 2.17 Sportsbet I fancy Wolves in this fixture, but am finding it very hard to discount Fulham. Instead I'll jump on the overs and see how we go. Wolves certainly have a style of football they play at home that'll ensure at least 1 or 2 goals are scored, and they have a couple of players who have genuine ability to score - Jarvis, O'Hara, Fletcher, etc. Fulham on the other hand are coming of a decent win midweek in the Europa League, and will be full of confidence (granted against poor opposition but a win still boosts morale ) and I can't imagine they'll be taking this fixture lightly. I think they'll want at least a point out of it, and may shut up shop early on to grind out a draw. I doubt this well be enough to keep Wolves at bay. If Wolves get one early I'd say the game will open right up. I'll be looking for Dempsey and Zamora to have a real crack. Might be completely wrong, but It's my reasoning and I'll have a go :ok Norwich v Stoke DNB @ 1.96 Sportsbet Risky bet considering Norwich are an unknown threat in the prem league, but I think Stoke have the quality and experience to get something here. They looked good against Chelsea last week and are excellent defensive outfit. At the very least I expect them to get a draw, hence the Draw No Bet. Bolton v Man City @ 1.70 Sportsbet Really do fancy Man City to challenge for the title this season. They have the players and the backing to do so, and they looked fairly impressive against Swansea last week. Aguero could well be the spark they need to pick up extra points this season, while the likes of Dzeko and Silva are looking a hell of a lot more confident this time around. I certainly don't think Bolton will be a pushover, but I think City will want this more then them, and they'll realize that these type of fixtures are a must win. All small stakes bets, more to make the fixtures interesting then to make profit. I'm still reasonably confident though. Gl all :hope

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Team news from BBC. Norwich will assess centre-back Zak Whitbread, who was forced off against Wigan because of a knee problem. He could be replaced by Daniel Ayala, who joined from Liverpool on Tuesday. Stoke trio Jonathan Woodgate, Jermaine Pennant and Asmir Begovic are likely to start after being rested for the Europa League game against FC Thun. Jonathan Walters is expected to play despite suffering a head injury and gashed shin on Thursday, but Rory Delap is a doubt with a hamstring problem. GL with your bets on this game, whoever you choose!

thanks mate! so this convinces me in backing Liverpool on Sat much has been said about that already in the thread, and my reasoning is pretty much the same. I'll go for Liverpool goals, as I think this Arsenal defence is really leaky, but still the Gunners have some attacking potential so a straight Liverpool win is not as probable as some goals for the Reds. Liverpool goals >1.5 @2.75v7/10 pts :) Liverpool goals >2.5 @7 2/10 pts :eyes Liverpool goals >3.5 @21 0.5/10 pts :eyes
Aston Villa - Blackburn The home side has a very good record h2h against Blackburn - 8 out of 10 won 1 draw and a loss. Statistically, no other team conceded more goals than Kean's men away from home last season - as many as 43 goals. Added to that defensive issues they have - Samba, Nelsen, Emerton and Givet were all rated doubtful for the game. But even if they feature, I think that Aston Villa attacking force is too much for them. They may have lost Downing, but captured N'Zogbia to replace him and we all know how good he is. Blackburn were poor last week against Wolves at home, and deservedly lost. And if they perform at home better than away, I'm really worried for them. Aston Villa played a decent game at Fulham, had their chances but didn't score. I think it will change on Saturday and that we'll see a convincing home victory, similar to those recorded last season (4-1 league, 3-1 both fa and carling cup). I think Blackburn will be in trouble come May. My selections for the game: Aston Villa -1 ah @2.3 9/10 pts ;) Aston Villa goals >2.5 @3.5 5/10 pts :) Aston Villa goals >3.5 @8 2/10 pts :eyes Aston Villa goals >4.5 @21 0.5/10 pts :eyes all bet365
Chelsea - WBA Chelsea have a nearly full squad to choose from and after a draw at Stoke, they will be motivated to take all 3 points at home against WBA, whom they beat 6-0 last season. In fact, Chelsea have won all 5 last h2h matches against their today's rival, without even conceding. They will be without Petr Cech today, so that is a kind of a boost of WBA chances to score. However, with Torres looking good, and the attacking potential they have, I think that Villas-Boas men will win the game comfortably. Chelsea -1.5 ah @1.975 7/10 pts :eyes The other area I'll be looking at is card market. The game's ref will be Lee Mason, who averages 3.94 cards shown per game. Last season he was in charge of 2 games at Stamford Bridge - against Aston Villa and Newcastle, and showed 9 and 6 cards respectively. He was a ref of 1 WBA game - against Everton, and that one produced 4 cards. Therefore I'll have a go on over 3 asian cards @1.85 ;), with small stakes all bets with bet365 cheers
38 pts staked, 67 returned, pretty nice although I'm disappointed with Chelsea result ;)

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Sport Football (England - Prem) Event Wolves vs Fulham Selection Over 2.5 Goals Strength 10/10 Date 21/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 2.25 Reasoning Fulham come into this game having played an Europa game mid-week which they won convincingly. Wolves started the season with a 2-1 win over Blackburn. On the other hand Fulham drew 0-0 versus Aston Villa. 7 of the last 8 home games for Wolves last season went over 2.5 goals. Given how Fulham's away form last season was dreadful, how Wolves' home form was good and how Fulham must be tired after the mid-week game. I expect goals in this fixture.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Sport Football (England - Prem) Event Norwich vs Stoke City Selection Clean Sheet - Stoke City Strength 10/10 Date 21/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price Victor Chandler @ 3.20 Reasoning Ridiculous price on Stoke City to keep a clean sheet. Stoke City's attacking threat is not exactly great/ideal given that their 1st choice striker is not available due to injury. Stoke drew their opening game vs Chelsea 0-0 and won their Europa league game 2-0 mid week. Given how Stoke may be potentially tired given their mid-week game, I still expect them to be able to keep a clean sheet against promoted side Norwich. Norwich opened the season with a 0-4 loss vs Man City. I think Stoke will be too much defensively for Norwich.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Norwich v Stoke - Over 3.5 Goals @ 10/3 William Hill 3pts Not much reasoning to back this up but I just have a hunch for goals between these two, Norwich scored plenty at home last season in the Championship and I can see them being quite a threat at home this season. They haven't had a 0-0 here in a league game since 2009 and whilst Stoke aren't high scorers away from home they'll fancy their chances of bagging a goal or two here at a team that's just come up. I can see either side winning this by a couple of goals, hopefully 3-1 either way. Bolton v Manchester City - LAY Manchester City @ 1.82 Betfair 4pts Liability I don't like this price at all for an away victory, I could be wrong but I fancy Bolton to get at least a point here. Both sides come into the 2nd game of the season on the back of 4-0 victories, Bolton's win over QPR looks impressive given QPR went to Everton yesterday and won. Bolton will pick up points off the bigger teams they always do, they were beaten at home four times last season but two of them were in the final games of the season and usually they are a difficult side to beat on home turf. City did run out easy winners in the end against Swansea but you'd expect that, they didn't look to clever against Manchester United in the Shield and will see what they are made of here, its a tough place to go and at around 4/5 its lay material.

Tip Detail
SportFootball (England - Prem)
EventNorwich v Stoke
SelectionStoke under 1.5 goals
Strength10/10
Date21/08/2011
Bookmaker/PriceLadbrokes @ 1.50
ReasoningStoke dont play that well away from home and I think Norwich will really want to put on a display at home and will be desperate for a result here. I am hoping stoke will defend for the majority of the game hoping to pick Norich off on the break so I cant see them scoring more than 1 goal.
Close Window