** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August

very surprised to see Tottenham at 5's' date=' with all the injuries.. :beer:beer:beer:beer:hope:hope[/quote'] United unbeaten at home last season, and United were tormented with injuries last season too!! Would not back Spurs if i was given free money, i would send it off to Ethiopia instead!! :cheers United wont lose!

United unbeaten at home last season, and United were tormented with injuries last season too!! Would not back Spurs if i was given free money, i would send it off to Ethiopia instead!! :cheers United wont lose!
You'll be laying Spurs with big stakes then I take it mate ;) I too think United will probably edge this one, although I may be tempted to back both teams to score. United have Vidic and Ferdinand missing, and with a new, shaky looking goalkeeper behind a young defence who have not had a lot of game time together I reckon Spurs will have a good chance of scoring. Middle to front last night against Hearts(I know, I know) they looked very sharp and was an ideal confidence booster ahead of their first EPL game of the season. United scored in every home match last season and have been scoring freely in pre-season. Odds are about 1.75 just now, one to mull over.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Took with Betfair today for reasons posted in my prior post: Arsenal vs Liverpool X @ 3.3 Everton vs QPR QPR +1 AH @ EVENS (and unit each on Arsenal Liverpool 0-0 @ 11, Wigan HT Draw FT @ 17, Swansea HT Draw FT @ 16) :hopeall

lol does anyone think that arsenal could actually win this match? :rollin
No, but a word of caution. In the scenario where there is an overwhelming feeling across the board that someone won't win, the betting gods usually spring up a surprise.

I'm suprised nobody has highlighted the Swansea v Wigan game. Everyone seems to be caught in Liverpools chances at Arsenal. What about Wigans at Swansea!? Wigan draw no bet is a fantastic price and imo far far better value than Liverpool at Arsenal. Reasoning : Both adopt an almost identical system as to be expected considering Martinez began it all at Swansea before moving to Wigan and implementing the same style. Wigan have played the system for longer with the same set of players. Wigans players are superior to swanseas. Wigan have alot more of an attacking threat. Wigans defence should cope fairly well with swanseas lame attack. Wigan should be able to penetrate swansea fairly weak defence. Wigan are renowned for picking up points away from home against fairly vulnerable home sides (wolves,villa etc..) The pressure is on swansea. Playing possession football at home in the prem wont be as easy as it was in the championship and they must commit men forward at some point. Do they have the positional skills when in transition? Imo no, and they will be exploited. Swansea often drew alot of games even in the championship. Swansea lost alot of players during the summer. Keeper to Wolves, Striker to Italy, Pratley to Bolton etc... For me all points to a Wigan win and i'd be suprised to see swansea take all 3 points. Wigan draw no bet @ 2.60 :loon That's the hidden gem in the prem this week for me.
Id be careful with this one. I think you underestimate Swansea, coming from South Wales there has been alot of focus on the jacks this year. Im not a Swans supporter but they play fast attractive football and they keep the ball well. The players that have gone do not affect the team, the keeper they brought in had an outstanding game last week and Pratley was never a regular in the team anyway.. they have bought attackers but with no proven quality. But they are capable of scoring... i cant see Wigan coming away from this with more than a point... The other incentive is Martinez returning... thats going to add spice to the game player wise and supporter wise..

You'll be laying Spurs with big stakes then I take it mate ;) I too think United will probably edge this one, although I may be tempted to back both teams to score. United have Vidic and Ferdinand missing, and with a new, shaky looking goalkeeper behind a young defence who have not had a lot of game time together I reckon Spurs will have a good chance of scoring. Middle to front last night against Hearts(I know, I know) they looked very sharp and was an ideal confidence booster ahead of their first EPL game of the season. United scored in every home match last season and have been scoring freely in pre-season. Odds are about 1.75 just now, one to mull over.
No, i am a Man Utd fan!! I shall get more satisfaction is just watching them beat Spurs.. :D I dont lay either by the way, not my style.. Im a backer.. I agree Spurs will make it a tight game, and 5/1 is probably a decent price.. But in saying that you just have to look at United's home form , i do agree with the both teams to score bet though!! 2-1 or 3-1 to United would be my bets if i was betting on the match!

lol does anyone think that arsenal could actually win this match? :rollin
I put it at Arsenal 40% Draw 35% Liverpool 25% Arsenal Dnb would equate to about 8.2% Profit long term. I'm seriously considering backing them now. I just don't see the hype around Liverpool. Not very often you get 2.62 for Arsenal at home. Making Arsenal Dnb viable. I'll be suprised see a Liverpool win anyway. Everyone keeps mentioning Arsenals weaknesses but are Liverpool good enough to take advantage? In my opinion, NO or it's too soon to judge.

Id be careful with this one. I think you underestimate Swansea' date=' coming from South Wales there has been alot of focus on the jacks this year. Im not a Swans supporter but they play fast attractive football and they keep the ball well. The players that have gone do not affect the team, the keeper they brought in had an outstanding game last week and Pratley was never a regular in the team anyway.. they have bought attackers but with no proven quality. But they are capable of scoring... i cant see Wigan coming away from this with more than a point... The other incentive is Martinez returning... thats going to add spice to the game player wise and supporter wise..[/quote'] I don't think they have enough backbone to get the results their possession football may deserve. Also, they will be expected to commit men forward, and unlike the champ they'll need more men in advanced positions to penetrate better defences. I think this will be their weakness. I don't think they'll maintain positional awareness when in transition from attack back to defence and get picked off on the counter. All conjecture of course but a few examples back that theory up. Wigan have proved several times that they are capable of pulling of victories in the prem away from home against vulnerable home teams. 2010/2011 season 0-1 spurs 0-0 brum 2-2 newcastle 0-0 everton 1-2 wolves 1-1 bolton 0-0 bolton (fa cup) 2-2 wba 1-1 liverpool 1-3 blackpool 1-1 villa 0-1 stoke They were undefeated in 11/19 away games! That's some stat for a team fighting relegation and highlights their home form as the problem as was proven again in the 1-1 draw v norwich last week. That for me is over-whemling evidence and you wont find a much better bet all season. Wigan DNB @ 2.60 is massively over-priced, it's beyond a joke.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Carroll to score has to be considered geess And thanks to profit prophet for the explanation but it's still baffling! I'm more a feelings punter I guess. Like betting on games I can't watch like ekrankas v hapoel! So close to 0-0 I was! But I do think maybe it's too easy to jump on luv and I am arsenals biggest critic ever just ask my work mates! But I really can see both to score so that's what I shall be doing. Waiting till tomoz tho to get odds off betfair but that's my strong bet Also villa+ bent to score seems nice probability. And maybe everton if I get good team news. But they so need to buy a bloody striker god damn!

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August There are rumors that Nasri could be in squad for a clash against Liverpool as Rosicky is having problems with injury... would be interesting to watch. For me personally... it looks like one part of the people who are thinking about Arsenal chances of winning are people who actually do not watch games but look at H2H stats for the past few years when Arsenal had a nice squad and don't consider the ACTUAL situation with this team.

No' date=' but a word of caution. In the scenario where there is an overwhelming feeling across the board that someone won't win, the betting gods usually spring up a surprise.[/quote'] I'd have to disagree. If it's something that even the casual punter is latching on to, then yeah, sometimes the public bet can be a curse. I usually find if the overwhelming feeling across the PL's boards are in favour of a side, there's a very good chance of it coming off, and I've backed stuff purely on that basis. I actually think this whole thing of people not posting a bet because a bunch of other people already have doesn't help anyone; the more people, especially the discerning punters on this site, that post, the more confidence.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Ill wait till closer to the event but my money is on Stoke. They are what i call a "working men's team", no style, just physical and get the job done plays and norwich is a team without much experience and is full of holes at the back. stoke is the typical side that will beat them.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Now its confirmed. Midfielder Tomas Rosicky (thigh) will be rested and Nasri is included in the squad. Will he play or not.... thats different question as the deal with Man city should be closed today/tomorrow

There are rumors that Nasri could be in squad for a clash against Liverpool as Rosicky is having problems with injury... would be interesting to watch. For me personally... it looks like one part of the people who are thinking about Arsenal chances of winning are people who actually do not watch games but look at H2H stats for the past few years when Arsenal had a nice squad and don't consider the ACTUAL situation with this team.
But your writing it up like Arsenal are going to put out a bunch of 1 legged dwarves! They will be fielding some of the best talent in the country in Wilshire and Ramsey. But my main point is why are Liverpool so special all of a sudden. King Kenny is over-rated, as is Adam as is Carroll as is Downing. I'm breaking my own rule alittle here but i've gone with Arsenal Dnb @ 1.83 Single and mixed in Doubles/trebles/4 folds/5 fold Wigan 2.60 DNB Watford 2.20 DNB Villa 3.30 Draw Carlisle 2.30 Win Ipswich 2.10 DNB That's it for me for this weekends english games. Good luck everyone :hope

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August This will be the arsenal team: Szezny- Sagna-Vermaelen-Koscielny-Jenkinson Frimpong-Ramsey-Nasri Arshavin-Walcott-Van Persie OR Szezny- Sagna- Koscielny-Squillaci-Vermaelen Frimpong-Ramsey-Lansbury Arshavin-Walcott-Van Persie Everything hinges on 2 things: a) Will he risk the fans wrath by playing Nasri who could leave permanently after the game b) Who does he trust more (or the least) the permanent error prone Squillaci or the rabbit in the headlights Jenkinson...gotta sneaky feeling who will opt for the latter as Wenger wouldn't want to break up the Vermaelen Koscielny central partnership. P.S. Either way the Arsenal midfield is terrible

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Swansea v Wigan - LAY Swansea @ 2.2 with Betfair I really don't see the justification for Swansea being 6/5 shots here. They played some neat football on Monday night and I don't think we can read too much into a 4-0 reverse at Man City, but they are being seriously overestimated at this price. Their home form was excellent in the Championship last season, but this is the Premier League and Wigan were a top 10 side on the road last season (they actually had the 9th best away record). On the negative side, the atmosphere could be quite intimidating with many Swansea fans still angered by Martinez's departure and Wigan's lack of away support, not to mention the euphoria of a first home Premier League fixture. That said, whilst I'd price Swansea up as slight favourites here, I'd have them nearer the 2.6 mark and this is a clear value lay for me.

Ill wait till closer to the event but my money is on Stoke. They are what i call a "working men's team", no style, just physical and get the job done plays and norwich is a team without much experience and is full of holes at the back. stoke is the typical side that will beat them.
I don't know about holes at the back. We've only played one game and got a draw :lol I'd hope Leon Barnett would play on Sunday, and he's a physical monster. We also have some other battlers in our ranks, like Crofts, Morison and Holt, so it won't be like we're Arsenal. Looking at this initially, I'd think nailed on draw, with Stoke not having enough to win, but enough to avoid defeat. Hopefully a Norwich win though :) (Norwich fan, by the by)

Swansea v Wigan - LAY Swansea @ 2.2 with Betfair I really don't see the justification for Swansea being 6/5 shots here. They played some neat football on Monday night and I don't think we can read too much into a 4-0 reverse at Man City, but they are being seriously overestimated at this price. Their home form was excellent in the Championship last season, but this is the Premier League and Wigan were a top 10 side on the road last season (they actually had the 9th best away record). On the negative side, the atmosphere could be quite intimidating with many Swansea fans still angered by Martinez's departure and Wigan's lack of away support, not to mention the euphoria of a first home Premier League fixture. That said, whilst I'd price Swansea up as slight favourites here, I'd have them nearer the 2.6 mark and this is a clear value lay for me.
Wigan gained 17 points on the road last year. Nzogbia and Cleverly directly contributed through goals to gain six of those points (indirectly you could argue they added more). With them gone, I think Wigan are a much weaker team.

Wolves vs Fulham. Both teams to score @ evens w William Hill. As a Wolves fan, and other fans will back me up I hope, I am happy with these odds. We (Wolves) always seem to score at the moment, yet we always seem to concede. With Fulham's infamous away form, I am confident of a Wolves goal, but I am also confident that Zamora and Johnson will cause our defense troubles and nick a goal at some point. Look at Wolves's home games towards the back end of last season - it speaks for itself. By the way I am genuinely trying not to be biased (although I fancy a 3-1 win!) Thoughts?
Hi Aber, I'm a wolf too, you going on sunday? I think that's a good shout especially at 2.00. I don't think i'd follow you on it myself as Fulham have been quite defensive in the europa league and last week v villa. Plus we've yet to see how Johnson gets on managing the defence...Big George at least! (Ward prob be left back). Suprised MM went with stearman at RB last week and i'd expect Mr reliable (foley) to come in. Hennessey Foley Berra Johnson Ward Jarvis O hara Henry Hunt Fletcher Doyle I'd say that defence is capable of keeping out Fulham. I'm gonna see how my sat bets go first, but Wolves Dnb and under 2.5 is my inital thoughts. I fancy 2-0 myself *Molineux is being developed at the moment and that may affect the atmosphere*

I'd have to disagree. If it's something that even the casual punter is latching on to, then yeah, sometimes the public bet can be a curse. I usually find if the overwhelming feeling across the PL's boards are in favour of a side, there's a very good chance of it coming off, and I've backed stuff purely on that basis. I actually think this whole thing of people not posting a bet because a bunch of other people already have doesn't help anyone; the more people, especially the discerning punters on this site, that post, the more confidence.
Like most people I immediately fancied Liverpool DNB when the odds were released. Nothing has changed my mind since, and after reading through everybody's posts I only feel more encouraged. I'll certainly be another jumping on the bandwagon. I also agree with you here, there are certain punters on this site who I love to follow. When you see these types of punters jumping on the same bet, you know it's got to be worthwhile ;)

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Liverpool DNB @ 2.00 Sportsbet I agree with the majority of punters on this fixture and really fancy Liverpool to get something out of it. I think the reasoning has already been well documented - Arsenal's current state of affairs, and Liverpool's potential revival with King Kenny. I may also take a quick look at Suarez anytime goalscorer.... It's hard to see him failing to get on the scoresheet, he finished last season so well and has picked up where he left off. :hope

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Every man and his dog is on Liverpool it seems. :lol If anything the price on Arsenal makes some appeal now. I'd have them priced up at 2.50 for this game. Everton, Sunderland, Chelsea & Man City are my fancies this week prices look too big for these sides in my view .

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Bolton v Man City @1.83 Bet365 There is nothing too original about this bet but it's one that I really fancy. Man City are a definite top 3 side for me this season but I don't think they are priced up as one here. Bolton had a very poor run in at the end of last season and a 4-0 win on the opening day won't change my opinion on them too much. Reo-Coker is a solid addition but they look a little light up front. They have lost Sturridge which is a real blow. Tuncay has come in but he's hardly prolific. Man City are still partly in transition and over cautious at times but things finally look like they are starting to come together. Their squad depth is impressive and Aguero looks like he could make a real difference. I think they will have far too much for Bolton here and I can't see the price on them lasting. I'm on it early and it's the only bet I fancy in the prem this weekend.

Re: England > Weekend > Premier League > 20-22 August Sport Football (England - Prem) Event Chelsea vs West Brom Selection Chelsea -1.5 (Asian-handicap) Strength 10/10 Date 20/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 2.02 Reasoning Chelsea drew their opening game 0-0 and to be fair they had 2 clear penalties not given by the referee. They were clearly the better team in that match versus Stoke. Chelsea also won all of their pre-season games. West Brom lost their opening game 1-2 versus United and to be honest were a bit unlucky not to get the draw. These two teams have met 5 times in this exact fixture where all 5 matches ended with Chelsea winning it, and they covered this handicap (i.e. winning by at least 2 goals) in 4 out of 5 of these matches. AVB will want to get his first home win under his belt and given how he has given thel league title the highest priority out of the possible titles he can win, I feel Chelsea should be much more convincing versus West Brom. Sport Football (England - Prem) Event Aston Villa vs Blackburn Selection Over 10.5 Corners Strength 10/10 Date 20/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price Victor Chandler @ 1.50 Reasoning Last season, Villa's home games averaged 13 corners (13.2 to be exact) whereas Blackburn's away matches averaged 13 corners (12.8 to be exact). When these two teams met at Villa there were 12 corners and the reverse fixture at Blackburn saw 13 corners. Happy to be on this line despite the low odds.