** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August

Saturday 20 August 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Brighton & Hove Albion v Blackpool (15:00 BST) 2.37 3.55 3.35 100.13 %
maximize.gif Bristol City v Portsmouth (15:00 BST) 2.41 3.45 3.2 101.73 %
maximize.gif Burnley v Cardiff City (15:00 BST) 2.54 3.6 2.87 101.93 %
maximize.gif Coventry City v Watford (15:00 BST) 2.59 3.5 2.9 101.66 %
maximize.gif Derby County v Doncaster Rovers (15:00 BST) 1.9 3.7 4.5 101.88 %
maximize.gif Hull City v Crystal Palace (15:00 BST) 1.92 3.6 4.6 101.60 %
maximize.gif Nottingham Forest v Leicester City (15:00 BST) 2.62 3.45 2.88 101.80 %
maximize.gif Reading v Barnsley (15:00 BST) 1.66 4.1 6.2 100.52 %
maximize.gif Southampton v Millwall (15:00 BST) 1.88 3.55 4.8 102.19 %
maximize.gif Peterborough United v Ipswich Town (17:20 BST) 2.6 3.5 2.88 101.76 %
Sunday 21 August 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif West Ham v Leeds United (13:15 BST) 1.77 3.8 5 102.81 %
maximize.gif Middlesbrough v Birmingham City (15:00 BST) 2.3 3.45 3.5 101.04 %

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August I'm taking up Brighton (DNB) at 1.62 .... good value for me on a team who are just a good footballing team. I saw Blackpool against Hull on the first footballing Friday and Blackpool looked a good unit and difficult to break down. I just fancy this Brighton team though to score goals. I'm also not sure Blackpool have the goals in them to put 2/3 into the net away from home. They lost Adam & Campbell .... therefore their current midfield 3 is Southern, Grandin and Ferguson - solid but lacking in creativity and goals. Upfront the goals will be between Taylor-Fletcher and Phillips but I'm not sure they will get as many chances this year. The full backs support the midfield well but I see Crainey was missing tonight .. injured? He is an important player for them. Brighton have bags of flair, enthusiasm, energy, creativity & goals in them .... Blackpool don't possess the same flair this year and I don't see them scoring many; therefore my tip is Brighton. I'm also mulling over DNB bets on Ipswich and Middlesbrough although I think I'll sleep on those two. Boro are looking strong to me and are scoring goals, in particular Emnes. Ipswich have got some decent midfield/attacking players on paper, just need to get their act together. I see value in both bets but will sleep over it.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August I've not finalised my bets yet (except wigan dnb) but on first sight i like the look of : Watford beating Coventry DNB Ipswich beating Peterboro DNB Mboro beating Brum DNB Brum play tonight in the europa league and will be focused on the return leg too if they're still within a shout, i'd expect. Mboro started the season decent. I'll do a proper write up when i've finalised my bets.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August I was thinking of backing Blackpool as i think they may be better away from home this season, they struggled against us last night due to us having a lot of players behind the ball and them not having the creativity to break us down. Brighton make the pitch big and this will be an open game, although they've won there first three there's been an element of fortune for Brighton, particularly in there first 2 games. I was hoping for a slightly bigger price on Blackpool but i think Brighton's price will shortern, may get bigger on Blackpool nearer the off.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August My first thoughts are....fcuk knows :lol You've got to be a brave man betting on this league.... Regarding our game, we have signed Norwegian striker Erik Huseklepp from Bari for a couple of million. Not sure why as we now have Kanu, Kitson, Varney, Benjani and this new guy up top. So long as Cotterill insists on playing strikers on the wing we should fit everyone in :\ We still lack in creativity as really we're playing two defenders through the middle of midfield. In terms of odds, I think they're fair, and this game could really go either way. I would be tempted to take us on a + 0.5 AH if the odds were agreeable though, because I think we have enough about us to cause Bristol City problems, and the impact Benjani's return has had on us was evident midweek because I thought we were much improved. (Admittedly I was not there)

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August Boro/Brum I have been winning backing my team to win and overs for the last 5 months. Mogga has transformed the team on peanuts. I have noticed some punters are starting to notice and the odds for Boro winning have come down at Barnsley and for Sunday. I am not taking 6/5 for Boro at home or evens on the overs for this game. I think Brum will come and try and stop Boro playing and crowd them out. Leeds tried it last week, but lost 2 players. I am going for unders at 10/11 as the value bet. There has been as many aways as homes in this league so I avoiding most homes at present. Don't fancy Brum to win neither as they have failed to score many goals of late and have most of their strikers out. Boro are keeping possession more - high 50s% at Leeds and Barnsley which has helped them to keep the goals conceded down.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August Derby v Doncaster Doncaster to win at 4/1 Victor chandler. Derby have won three out of three and Doncaster have lost three out of three. It looks a home banker on paper but there is no such thing in this league! Doncaster by all accounts have been unlucky to lose all three and have played some decent football. They have recently acquired Milan Lalkovic from Chelsea who is an exciting prospect and will add some flair to the attack. 4/1 looks a decent price to me.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August

Derby v Doncaster Doncaster to win at 4/1 Victor chandler. Derby have won three out of three and Doncaster have lost three out of three. It looks a home banker on paper but there is no such thing in this league! Doncaster by all accounts have been unlucky to lose all three and have played some decent football. They have recently acquired Milan Lalkovic from Chelsea who is an exciting prospect and will add some flair to the attack. 4/1 looks a decent price to me.
I tend to agree, we often do poorly at home to Doncaster as, lost to them a couple of times in recent years. There's been an element of fortune in all 3 of our wins, but watched the Blackpool game and we played quite well, was fairly comfortable if perhaps a draw being a fair result. Donny were quite unlucky to lose at Brighton and unlucky at Forest from what i've read. Typically Derby would lose this, games expected to win we're often bought back down to earth.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August Coventry v Watford Pick : Watford DNB @ 2.20 H2H 4 meetings since 2007 at Coventry and Watford have won 75% of them Most recent first 2-0 0-4 2-3 0-3 Coventry have lost all 3 opening championship games 0-1 v leicester 1-0 brum 2-1 c.palace Watford 2-2 Burnley 0-1 Derby 0-4 West ham Neither record looks promising however, Watford were unlucky v Derby according to the stats and reports?? Plus played very well away at Burnley. I think although a 0-4 home defeat isn't good it won't affect them too much as they weren't expected to get anything v a significantly stronger West Ham side. Meanwhile, i think all the pressure will be on the hosts here and i can see Watford picking them off. I think they'll be goals but early signs and H2H records indicate Watford have as good a chance as Coventry to pick up all 3 points. I woulnd't say it's a great bet but one worth risking with the DNB cover. I wont bore you with my calculations :lol but i get a 8% margin of error. A bet i'd pass on if times were harder but worth the risk now. I'd be hoping for about 10-12%.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August Hull V Crystal Palace Palace are comming off the back of two consecutive victories at fortress Selhurst. I must emphasise that these victories came against the papier mache Burnley and the bankrupt skeleton of Coventry, Hull will be much tougher. Kagisho Dikgacoi joins an extensive Palace injury list with Owen Garvan also now doubtful. Ambrose and Murray also unlikely to feature with Iversen, Clyne and Moxey still missing. Palace managed to nick a draw at the KC towards the end of last season but I cannot see a positive result for us there tommorow. Our away form is abysmal and although it will turn around at some point I don't think the Hull game will be that 'some point'. Hull on the other hand were beaten 4-1 by Leeds in their last match, winger Robbie Brady was missing for them in that game and he is a real talent. If he manages to shake off a virus and play tommorow I fear Peter Ramage could have a torrid time for Palace. Ramage is more natural in a centre back position and he could be exposed at right back when playing against opposition that isn't as limp as Burnley or Coventry. If Brady does play then I would suggest a Ramage anytime card bet. Hull will want to make ammends for the beating they took against Leeds and will also see this as an ideal opportunity to improve their home form against a diminished Palace team. Note: When asked about the Hull game during a Coventry post-match interview Palace boss Dougie Freedman tried to lower expectations by saying the fans need to realise we have a young team and we're gonna take knocks. I find more often than not when you hear managers make these sorts of comments they are half expecting to loose the aformentioned game. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, McGivern, Wright, Jedinak, Zaha, Parr, Scannell, Easter Hull should see a massive amount of the ball and this will eventually tell on a patchwork Palace defence. Expecting a Hull win, expecting a wealth of cards. If I had to bet on this game: Hull @ EVS (Coral) Over 3.5 cards @ Unknown Feeling saucy: Red card @ 7/2 (Unibet) Peter Ramage anytime card @ Unknown

Derby v Doncaster Doncaster to win at 4/1 Victor chandler. Derby have won three out of three and Doncaster have lost three out of three. It looks a home banker on paper but there is no such thing in this league! Doncaster by all accounts have been unlucky to lose all three and have played some decent football. They have recently acquired Milan Lalkovic from Chelsea who is an exciting prospect and will add some flair to the attack. 4/1 looks a decent price to me.
i read that Doncester have 8-10 absences...

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August Bristol City -0.25 V Portsmouth: 2.10 @ Bet365 I actually quite like the look of how Pompey are shaping up this year. Varney was a good signing, Benjani is a bit past it but a good addition at this level, and the latest addition Husekllep is very pacy and hs a good goal scoring record from the wings. But I think Bristol represent good value here. They possibly have the best striker in the division in Maynard who is in good form at the moment. They got a great result away at Leicester midweek and I fancy them to get something with the home advantage. Peterborough v Ipswich +0.25: 1.825 @ Bet365 Peterborough aren't a bad side but I think they will be battling against relegation this season. Mackail Smith is a massive loss for them and although they haven't struggled for goals so far, they willl no doubt miss him through the season. Ipswich are very hit and miss but they have some good players and on paper, they are certainly the superior side. This match certainly looks to have goals in it but the price is poor. Ipswich have lost their last 2 but I fancy them to get a result here or at least avoid defeat which makes this handicap very appealing. Brighton v Blackpool +0.25: 2.05 @ Bet365 Last season thee sides were 2 divisions apart but now find themselves up against each other.Of course, Brighton have now strengthend whilst Blackpool are weaker but this should be a close encounter. Brighton are sitting top of the league with 3 wins in 3, whilst Blackpool have won 2 out of 3. It should be a good game with both sides liking to attack and I fancy this experienced Blackpool side to come out on top. Again, the handicap is in or favour and I think Brighton will have their work cut out to make it 4 out of 4. Southampton v Millwall +0.75: 1.875 @ Bet365 I'm taking on another newly promoted side with this bet. Like Brighton, Southampton have had a cracking start to life in the championship and they are looking good. Milwall are a pretty average championship side but I think they could grind Southampton down and earn a draw here. The plus 0.75 handicap is just too big in my opinion and therefore it's one I will be taking advantage of.

My first thoughts are....fcuk knows :lol You've got to be a brave man betting on this league.... Regarding our game, we have signed Norwegian striker Erik Huseklepp from Bari for a couple of million. Not sure why as we now have Kanu, Kitson, Varney, Benjani and this new guy up top. So long as Cotterill insists on playing strikers on the wing we should fit everyone in :\ We still lack in creativity as really we're playing two defenders through the middle of midfield. In terms of odds, I think they're fair, and this game could really go either way. I would be tempted to take us on a + 0.5 AH if the odds were agreeable though, because I think we have enough about us to cause Bristol City problems, and the impact Benjani's return has had on us was evident midweek because I thought we were much improved. (Admittedly I was not there)
Hello Jase82 Just wanted to reply regarding Erik Huseklepp. I am from Norway and the city Bergen. I follow the team Huseklepp played for there called Brann. First i would like to say that this is a great piece of business from Cotterill. Huseklepp is maybe not so known for english fans, but what a player! And i know many people think he is a striker, but actually he is best playing wide. ( He was more a winger before he was forced to play striker because of a lot of things to complicated to explain here) He has got great pace and is a very good dribbler. And for your worry about creativity, worry no more! Huseklepp is Mr. Creativity! I only have one worry yet to see how goes. He is not the strongest player and will probably need a little time getting used to the physical side of english football. But Jase82! I have to congratulate you on getting a VERY good player!

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August Nottingham Forest v Leicester - Nottingham Forest @ 2.58 with Betfair I'll take any opportunity to oppose Leicester at decent odds right now and that's exactly what we have here. A stuttering victory at Coventry on the opening day has been followed by home defeats to Reading & Bristol City, with Eriksson still unsure of his strongest starting eleven. He even dropped record-signing and new club captain Matt Mills to the bench in midweek - never a good sign after just 2 league games. Forest have struggled to score goals under Steve McClaren so far, so there's the risk of them drawing another blank here, but I think the odds make up for that. They've been reasonably solid, keeping 2 clean sheets in 3 league games so far, and the additions of Matt Derbyshire and Ishmael Miller at least show that McClaren is trying to address the creative issues. It's a small stakes punt this early in the season, but given Leicester's shaky start the value is clearly with the home side here.

Hull V Crystal Palace Palace are comming off the back of two consecutive victories at fortress Selhurst. I must emphasise that these victories came against the papier mache Burnley and the bankrupt skeleton of Coventry, Hull will be much tougher. Kagisho Dikgacoi joins an extensive Palace injury list with Owen Garvan also now doubtful. Ambrose and Murray also unlikely to feature with Iversen, Clyne and Moxey still missing. Palace managed to nick a draw at the KC towards the end of last season but I cannot see a positive result for us there tommorow. Our away form is abysmal and although it will turn around at some point I don't think the Hull game will be that 'some point'. Hull on the other hand were beaten 4-1 by Leeds in their last match, winger Robbie Brady was missing for them in that game and he is a real talent. If he manages to shake off a virus and play tommorow I fear Peter Ramage could have a torrid time for Palace. Ramage is more natural in a centre back position and he could be exposed at right back when playing against opposition that isn't as limp as Burnley or Coventry. If Brady does play then I would suggest a Ramage anytime card bet. Hull will want to make ammends for the beating they took against Leeds and will also see this as an ideal opportunity to improve their home form against a diminished Palace team. Note: When asked about the Hull game during a Coventry post-match interview Palace boss Dougie Freedman tried to lower expectations by saying the fans need to realise we have a young team and we're gonna take knocks. I find more often than not when you hear managers make these sorts of comments they are half expecting to loose the aformentioned game. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, McGivern, Wright, Jedinak, Zaha, Parr, Scannell, Easter Hull should see a massive amount of the ball and this will eventually tell on a patchwork Palace defence. Expecting a Hull win, expecting a wealth of cards. If I had to bet on this game: Hull @ EVS (Coral) :@:@:@ Over 3.5 cards @ Unknown :@:@:@ Feeling saucy: Red card @ 7/2 (Unibet) :@:@:@ Peter Ramage anytime card @ Unknown :@:@:@
It seems Palace are happy to defy all logic here, my barometer isn't working, I must fix it - apologies.

Hello Jase82 Just wanted to reply regarding Erik Huseklepp.
Unfortunately Huseklepp only saw 4 minutes today :eyes Hopefully Steve Cotterill will stop using strikers on the wing and we can start trying to win games :hope

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August West Ham v Leeds - West Ham To Win To Nil @ 9/4 Coral 3pts Leeds often find a goal away from home so I'm not going to go mad on this bet but The Hammers have looked pretty solid so far, they've only seen one goal past them in their opening 3 matches. That goal did come here at home to Cardiff but it was a late winner that didn't look like it was coming, I think they'll win this match obviously after two good results away from Upton Park, Leeds picked up at home to Hull after two defeats, Hull don't look anything special though and this will be a much tougher test for Leeds, I can see the hosts keeping up their impressive defensive record and winning this match to nil.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August Like Spooner and others I'm also liking the look of West Ham at the minute. I think they have a brilliant squad this season and should do really well in the Championship. Defensively they look sound and offensively, well you just need to take a quick look at their line-up to realise how much potential is available. Despite the average odds I'll be sticking to a more conservative bet and take the Hammers to win @ 1.60 with Sportsbet. :ok

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 20-21 August Middlesbrough v Birmingham - over 2.5 goals @ 2.1 with Betfair I think there's a shade of value in the overs here. Tony Mowbray has transformed Strachan's plodders into a free scoring side: it's been 13 league games since they last drew a blank and they've scored 2 or more in 10 of those games. As befits a Mowbray side, they've also managed to keep a clean sheet just 3 times during that run. Birmingham have a striker crisis, with Jerome, King, & Zigic all likely to miss out today, which is a slight concern. They may try to set up quite defensively, but with Roger Johnson departed and Scott Dann struggling to be fit their defence has looked a bit shaky at times this season. If Boro can grab the first goal then Birmingham will have to come out of their shell and I can see the possibility of goals at both ends as a result. It's still early days so it's still small stakes for me, but at 2.1 I think overs is slightly overpriced here.

Like Spooner and others I'm also liking the look of West Ham at the minute. I think they have a brilliant squad this season and should do really well in the Championship. Defensively they look sound and offensively, well you just need to take a quick look at their line-up to realise how much potential is available. Despite the average odds I'll be sticking to a more conservative bet and take the Hammers to win @ 1.60 with Sportsbet. :ok
Arrrgh :@ so close. Hammers were up 2-1 until the 90th minute, and then conceded a late equaliser. Frustrating but fair play to Leeds.