** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20

Friday 19 August 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Lincoln City v Wrexham (19:45 BST) 23/20 12/5 2 109.26 %
Saturday 20 August 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Alfreton Town v Forest Green Rovers (15:00 BST) 23/20 12/5 2 109.26 %
maximize.gif Bath City v Barrow (15:00 BST) 21/20 5/2 11/5 108.60 %
maximize.gif Braintree Town v Mansfield Town (15:00 BST) 21/10 5/2 6/5 106.28 %
maximize.gif Cambridge United v Kidderminster Harriers (15:00 BST) 11/10 5/2 21/10 108.45 %
maximize.gif Fleetwood Town v Hayes & Yeading (15:00 BST) 4/9 3 11/2 109.62 %
maximize.gif Gateshead v Kettering Town (15:00 BST) 5/4 12/5 2 107.19 %
maximize.gif Luton Town v Southport (15:00 BST) 4/11 10/3 7 109.11 %
maximize.gif Newport County v Grimsby Town (15:00 BST) 11/10 5/2 21/10 108.45 %
maximize.gif Stockport County v Ebbsfleet United (15:00 BST) 4/6 3 4 104.88 %
maximize.gif Tamworth v Darlington (15:00 BST) 2 12/5 6/5 108.20 %
maximize.gif York City v AFC Telford United (15:00 BST) 8/13 11/4 7/2 110.62 %

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 Cant imagine any other team will get beat 5-0 by Braintree this season so it will be interesting to see how Grimsby react. My views on the management duo are well known and Im not sure they will get them to bounce back.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 NEWPORT TO BEAT GRIMSBY EVENS Bet365 Coral I cant understand why Newport aren't odds on. Newport are clearly one of the best sides in the league and will surely start at shorter odds in forthcoming home games. Grimsby on the other hand deservedly prop up the league and another hiding could be on the cards.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 Wrexham Draw No Bet @ 2.05 (Coral) Everyone knows about the recent upturn in morale at Wrexham, and I think the momentum their building will help them avoid defeat here. They should of beat Cambridge in the first match, and beat Bath 2-0 away in midweek. The Imps have had a very average start to life in the conference, drawing at Southport and losing to Kidderminster.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20

NEWPORT TO BEAT GRIMSBY EVENS Bet365 Coral I cant understand why Newport aren't odds on. Newport are clearly one of the best sides in the league and will surely start at shorter odds in forthcoming home games. Grimsby on the other hand deservedly prop up the league and another hiding could be on the cards.
Why do Grimsby deservedy prop up the league? They arent going to be there come the end of the season thats for certain. As I said above its always a fear when good teams get thrashed as to how they react in the next game.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 I'll just have one low-risk spread trade on the game tonight: Mark Creighton's player goal minutes at 2 to buy with Spreadex. This is based purely on the fact that he got into some good positions at set pieces against Bath, where - to be fair - Wrexham didn't win too many corners. Given that Lincoln have already shown the odd defensive lapse (which is not surprising given the fact that they are a new team), they may not have a proper drill for dealing with the likes of Creighton when the corners and free-kicks come in.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 That's a good spot on Creighton, Ships, and have joined you on that. He reportedly has gone close on several occasions for Wrexham, and I remember how effective he was at set pieces in his excellent days at Aggborough. There's no doubt Creighton will have a real tussle tonight with Mr Nasty (Kyle Perry), and I foresee a couple of yellow cards there perhaps. Already both Wrexham and Lincoln have each received 5 bookings in their opening two matches. Lincoln's manager, Steve Tilson, has expressed the view that his side must be more combative in midfield after their disappointing start. Tonight's referee is Richard Wigglesworth whose bookings stats are not particularly remarkable. His average make up in the Conference last season over 12 games was only 32.92 and the previous season was 42.27 over 11 games. However, a few low profile end of season matches arguably distort his performance a little. In the penultimate season he actually gave 5 red cards in his 11 matches. This evening is Wigglesworth's first match as referee this season. In his opening game last year (Kettering v Wimbledon) he showed 6 yellows. At 11/10 with Bet 365 I feel there is value in over 3.5 cards (red = 2 cards) being shown.

Why do Grimsby deservedy prop up the league? They arent going to be there come the end of the season thats for certain. As I said above its always a fear when good teams get thrashed as to how they react in the next game.
I base it on the fact my friend goes to every Grimsby match and he says Grimsby were abject against Fleetwood and Braintree. Even if his assessment is incorrect they deserve to be bottom because statically they have the worst record so far. I made no prediction on where they will be come the end of the season so don't really see the relevance. I maintain the odds are wrong however I may be wrong its just my opinion.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 addpea may be right about Grimsby's final position but any improvement will start after tomorrow. Newport for me. 5/6 with Stan James. Bath were ok on Tuesday. (Wrexham were worth their win) but still lack fire power. Nevertheless should be OK to beat slow starting and regular strugglers Barrow. 10/11 with Stan James.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 My view on the Creighton pick above...he is not as dangerous as he should be. I am stuck on a mobile with a crap signal at the moment so am not able to check the Spreadex site but, if the line was anywhere near Creighton's, I would far rather have a punt on Knight Percival, who is a far better centre back than any other position on the pitch, and has even scored more with his head for us than Beast has. He also goes up for set pieces so will have just as many chances, and is more likely to score with a shot as well. Come tonight we could be top...a bit more of a positive outlook than the doom we were facing a fortnight ago! :nana

My view on the Creighton pick above...he is not as dangerous as he should be. I am stuck on a mobile with a crap signal at the moment so am not able to check the Spreadex site but, if the line was anywhere near Creighton's, I would far rather have a punt on Knight Percival, who is a far better centre back than any other position on the pitch, and has even scored more with his head for us than Beast has. He also goes up for set pieces so will have just as many chances, and is more likely to score with a shot as well. Come tonight we could be top...a bit more of a positive outlook than the doom we were facing a fortnight ago! :nana
Point taken, BB, and I did look for him earlier but neither firm was quoting him, so I assumed he was out. I've asked Sporting to put him up and they've said he'll be there in half an hour. I'll do the same with Spreadex.

I base it on the fact my friend goes to every Grimsby match and he says Grimsby were abject against Fleetwood and Braintree. Even if his assessment is incorrect they deserve to be bottom because statically they have the worst record so far. I made no prediction on where they will be come the end of the season so don't really see the relevance. I maintain the odds are wrong however I may be wrong its just my opinion.
First of all given how big I am on Newport to win the league I obviously want them to win tomorrow. My point is though that to say any team deserves to be bottom after two games is rather harsh. To me you deserve to be bottom if you are the worse team in the league and its impossible to say that after two games. I fully accept they were poor on Tuesday night but I my feeling is that they will start winning at somepoint and given how bad they were on Tuesday they wont be that bad again I would have thought. My view is the price isnt much value.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 Alfreton v Forest Green Rovers FGR looked a decent team in the first half against Stockport and did well to hold on for a point at Luton on Tuesday, where Luton threw plenty at them to try and get a winner. Alfreton are struggling to get to grips with the Blue Square Premier so far, losing to Hayes on the opening day and drawing 0-0 with Southport on Tuesday. Those two sides are likely to turn out to be two of the weakest in the league and FGR should pose a much stiffer test. I can’t work out why Alfreton should be so short (odds on with Boylesports) to win this and FGR seem good value with Coral at 12/5 to gain their first three points of the season. Cambridge United v Kidderminster The home side are pretty fortunate to still be unbeaten after two games and given what’s happened in both matches they could easily have lost both. Wrexham were the better side last Saturday and United managed to sneak a last minute equaliser. They then hosted AFC Telford on Tuesday where AFC could easily have been 3-0 up at half time, but as can happen in football they didn’t take their chances and Cambridge took pretty much the one they had the whole match. I thought Cambridge could be dark horses this season and they still might be but it seems like the young side are still finding their feet and look vulnerable. I rightly opposed Kidderminster on the opening day of the season but they still performed well enough against Gateshead and followed that up with a very good effort to beat Lincoln on Tuesday 1-0, and it could have been more by the sound of it. Kidderminster seem to be playing the better of the two sides so far and the 2/1 that is generally available looks big to me.

Wrexham Draw No Bet @ 2.05 (Coral) Everyone knows about the recent upturn in morale at Wrexham, and I think the momentum their building will help them avoid defeat here. They should of beat Cambridge in the first match, and beat Bath 2-0 away in midweek. The Imps have had a very average start to life in the conference, drawing at Southport and losing to Kidderminster.
2-1 :)

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 Alfreton Town worth a look at 6/5 at Blue Square to beat FGR? Alfreton are generally strong at home, helped by their steep slope, with their Blue Sq North record over the last two seasons totalling at P 41, W 32, D 6, L 3, F 110, A 33. FGR, on the other hand, don't travel well, with their away record in the Conference over that period being P 46, W 7, D 10, L 29, F 50, A 95.

Cant imagine any other team will get beat 5-0 by Braintree this season so it will be interesting to see how Grimsby react. My views on the management duo are well known and Im not sure they will get them to bounce back.
Unfortunately I haven't heard those views, what is the setup like at Grimsby now? Are the management team poor in your eyes? I'm considering Newport tomorrow but as Ships mentioned it can be a bit sketchy banking on a team to loose more than 2 in a row.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 Good calls last night AlexC on Wrexham DNB, and by Labrador on cards. No joy on the Creighton trade last night, but it was set so low to not cause too much upset. One more for me today: a buy of total goals in the Gateshead/Kettering game, set at 2.9 with Sporting Index. With the for and against columns reading 6-3 and 3-3 there's a reasonable chance of goals. Kettering have been surprisingly dangerous and boast a decent attack, while neither side quite has the personnel to keep it tight at the back. The only other trade that really appealed was a sell of Tamworth's mini performance today. I said in the antepost preview that I thought Darlington would be a 0-0 side, and so far they've managed 1-0 and 0-0. It looks as if their whole season is going to progress in binary code. But Tamworth are set at 16 - a touch too low for me. Total goals also looks a sell, but I'm not a seller of this market in August, when all sorts of daftness can happen.

First of all given how big I am on Newport to win the league I obviously want them to win tomorrow. My point is though that to say any team deserves to be bottom after two games is rather harsh. To me you deserve to be bottom if you are the worse team in the league and its impossible to say that after two games. I fully accept they were poor on Tuesday night but I my feeling is that they will start winning at somepoint and given how bad they were on Tuesday they wont be that bad again I would have thought. My view is the price isnt much value.
Wow I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition when I used the word deservedly! No offence was meant to the fans or club. For the record it saddens me to see the Mariners struggle. However on the performances so far I think they deserve to be bottom. Its my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I don't want this discussion to degenerate so I wont be posting again.

Unfortunately I haven't heard those views' date=' what is the setup like at Grimsby now? Are the management team poor in your eyes? I'm considering Newport tomorrow but as Ships mentioned it can be a bit sketchy banking on a team to loose more than 2 in a row.[/quote'] I dont rate them at all although I know Ships does. Im very interested to what sort of reaction they can get out of the players this afternoon. I thought it was a very bad choice to get them in by Grimsby. Quick word on last nights game. I was at work so might not have seen it as closely as others but I thought it was a decent game which either side could have won. Im sure Lincoln will be off the mark soon enough and Wrexham looked good as well.

Alfreton Town worth a look at 6/5 at Blue Square to beat FGR? Alfreton are generally strong at home' date= helped by their steep slope, with their Blue Sq North record over the last two seasons totalling at P 41, W 32, D 6, L 3, F 110, A 33. FGR, on the other hand, don't travel well, with their away record in the Conference over that period being P 46, W 7, D 10, L 29, F 50, A 95.
Id be very careful about looking at previous form especially as its based on different leagues. Alfreton were one of the best teams in the BSN whereas FGR nearly went down both seasons. FGR should be much better this time around.

Alfreton v Forest Green Rovers FGR looked a decent team in the first half against Stockport and did well to hold on for a point at Luton on Tuesday, where Luton threw plenty at them to try and get a winner. Alfreton are struggling to get to grips with the Blue Square Premier so far, losing to Hayes on the opening day and drawing 0-0 with Southport on Tuesday. Those two sides are likely to turn out to be two of the weakest in the league and FGR should pose a much stiffer test. I can’t work out why Alfreton should be so short (odds on with Boylesports) to win this and FGR seem good value with Coral at 12/5 to gain their first three points of the season. Cambridge United v Kidderminster The home side are pretty fortunate to still be unbeaten after two games and given what’s happened in both matches they could easily have lost both. Wrexham were the better side last Saturday and United managed to sneak a last minute equaliser. They then hosted AFC Telford on Tuesday where AFC could easily have been 3-0 up at half time, but as can happen in football they didn’t take their chances and Cambridge took pretty much the one they had the whole match. I thought Cambridge could be dark horses this season and they still might be but it seems like the young side are still finding their feet and look vulnerable. I rightly opposed Kidderminster on the opening day of the season but they still performed well enough against Gateshead and followed that up with a very good effort to beat Lincoln on Tuesday 1-0, and it could have been more by the sound of it. Kidderminster seem to be playing the better of the two sides so far and the 2/1 that is generally available looks big to me.
1-3 and 0-2 at half-time, both looking very good calls! :clap

Id be very careful about looking at previous form especially as its based on different leagues. Alfreton were one of the best teams in the BSN whereas FGR nearly went down both seasons. FGR should be much better this time around.
And this turns out to be, if anything, rather an understatement. Will take more care next time! Great calls on both this one and Kiddy. :notworthy

And this turns out to be, if anything, rather an understatement. Will take more care next time! Great calls on both this one and Kiddy. :notworthy
Cheers. I was listening to the first half and it did sound pretty easy for FGR. I get the feeling Alfreton are struggling to get used to the league a little. From the sounds of it Cambridge put Kiddie under plenty of pressure but thankfully they held on.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 For those of you who backed Newport they missed a penalty but it doesnt sound like much of a game. Im a little concerned about Newport for the title but then there is plenty of time for them to get things sorted.

Re: England > Weekend > BlueSQ Bet Prem Aug 19-20 Great shouts Addpea :clap. I followed you on FGR having seen them the other night and meant to endorse your thoughts but I've been so busy the last couple of days I never got a chance (hence the short preview on our game in the Luton thread). Couldn't believe the difference in FG last year and this. Obviously that could be levelled out if they succumb to our bidding for Styche but if they keep him I wouldn't be surprised to see them top 10. As for Southport, if there's more than 2 teams below them at the end of April I will be massively massively surprised.