** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Rugby World Cup 2011

Spankyf

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Not sure on the Italy game myself. They can never be relied on to cover big handicaps yet have individuals who can tear apart sides like Russia, Romania, USA etc. One for me in another match though..... Wednesday: Tonga vs Japan 3/5pts Japan (+9 points) to beat Tonga - Evens with Bet365 1/5pts Japan to beat Tonga - 3/1 with SkyBet For a +9 line i think the price is far too big for this match. Based purely on performances so far in this tournament i would have had Japan as favourites for this as they have impressed me far more than this sluggish Tongan side. Tonga got battered by New Zealand and could have lost by a lot more if it wasn't for so many Kiwi mistakes whilst they also got beat by Canada. Against Canada they were average, not using their power to the best effect and certainly not causing enough problems in the opposition 22. When in promising positions they made wrong decisions and that could cost them again here. Japan have impressed me. They caused France a lot of problems first time out and the eventual scoreline didn't do them enough justice in my opinion. James Arlidge was fantastic and he returns here after sitting out of the hammering from the home nation. John Kirwan said before the New Zealand game that the priority for them coming here was to be the most improved 'small nation' so they will want results against Canada and Tonga. In the backs they have genuine threats and in Kosuke Endo have a player who has proven he can score tries at international level. Against France they spent a lot of time in the opposition half, especially in the second half, and if they play to a similar level here they will be in with a brilliant chance of taking the win. I can't find many past results between these 2 nations other than an overall record that shows they have won and lost a similar amount of games when facing each other. Japan beat Tonga in both the 2011 and 2010 Pacific Nations Cup so that will give them extra confidence. Japan targetted these games prior to the tournament, have beaten Tonga in the last couple of years and have performed better so far this tournament. I think they are well worth a small interest to win the game outright and definitely worth getting involved with on the positive handicap line.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Japan are bet priced at 2/1 now with some places only going 6/4 for the win and using a handicap line of +/- 4. Hopefully they will do the business. Getting involved in Thursday's match..... Thursday: South Africa vs Namibia 2/5pts South Africa (-55 points) to beat Namibia - Evens with Bet365 I can see Namibia getting an absolute pasting here. The only time the sides have met previously is back before the 2007 World Cup and on that occasion South Africa won 105-13, and it wouldn't surprise me if they ran in 10+ tries again here. Against Wales they were far from impressive yet managed to just get the win whilst i thought against Fiji they put in a really good performance. There are no signs of the coach taking this game lightly as he has named a strong side and i suppose he was always going to with there being an 8 day rest before they tackle the Samoan's. Bryan Habana coming back in after injury is a good sign and the camp have already said that they are looking to be ruthless once again so if on top form they should be well out of sight by half-time. Namibia are way behind South Africa in every department. Most of their players play in the lower European leagues and they are ranked below the likes of Russia, USA and Romania in the IRB table. They are yet to get off the mark this campaign and although they have scored tries against Samoa and Fiji they have still been soundly beaten. They won't get as many try-scoring opportunities in this match. This is a huge mis-match. Probably the biggest we will see this tournament and i can't see South Africa taking their foot off the pedal. This line is well within their reach so i am happy to get involved at a nice price.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Did anybody else see the France team to play All Blacks.They named Parra at fly half and 2 other players out of position.Yachvili said they dont want to win it and he's playing at 9! Obviously a defeat for the French would mean a probable quarter against England and semi against Ireland should they make it that far.The All Black fans are going nuts as the tickets for this game averaged at $400 each.They named their weakest team possible and I cant see any other result than a big All Blacks victory. My pick New Zealand -14 Boylesports

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 South Africa (-66 points) to beat Namibia - 2.5s with Ladbrokes On Thursday they’ll go close to a 100 against Namibia, last time they played 4 years ago the score was 105-13. Namibia have improved since then but not by much. South Africa have named a powerful lineup, and will be ruthless, this or Australia Russia will be the highest scoring game of the cup

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Annoying game this morning. Japan's tactics were very naive at times i thought and cost them the match against an on-song Tonga side. Trying to pass their way out of their own 22 was criminal at times along with their inability to cut down the needless penalties given away. Some easy kicks were missed aswell. Happy with the call i made but frustrated by the performance from Japan.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 I cant have Australia at that sort of handicap vs a team that ran Ireland close and will not finish bottom of the group. There are a few major differences between todays mauling and tomorrows game. USA haven't just been smashed by two lesser teams. There are actually 7 world ranking points LESS between these two teams and SA and Namibia. USA +60.5 Willhills @ evens

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 USA have made a whole host of changes as they will be concentrating on their remaining games and Aus have fielded the strongest possible team they can. I expect a backlash after the performance against Ireland and although it is high, at over evens I am definitely interested.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011

I cant have Australia at that sort of handicap vs a team that ran Ireland close and will not finish bottom of the group. There are a few major differences between todays mauling and tomorrows game. USA haven't just been smashed by two lesser teams. There are actually 7 world ranking points LESS between these two teams and SA and Namibia. USA +60.5 Willhills @ evens
Don't ignore the fact that Namibia had their top side, USA is playing a B team, so the A team is fresh for Italy

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 One standout bet for me today Australia vs USA - Aussie to score more than 9.5 tries @ 1.88 from betfair Was thinking between -59.5 or this bet but decided to play safe and go for this instead . Time for an aussie backslash after an ireland defeat ? Sounds like a decent time to do that against a B team USA side .Fancy another one sided game just like the Saffers did yesterday . Aussie just arent going for too many penalty kicks in front of goals , hence most of their points has to come from tries and conversions .

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 I've been avoiding the large handicaps so far this world cup, but tonight I'll have a pop on the Aussies. Australia (-61.5) v USA @ 1.95 Sportsbet I simply think the Aussies will be too good, and should have enough to cover the line. They have put out a very strong squad and will be looking to bounce back after the dissapointing outing against Ireland. USA have put out a weaker side then usual, to help them focus on 'winnable' games (in the words of the commentators!). First Tryscorer - D Mitchell @ 6.00 Sportsbet To Score 2 or More Tries in 80 min - D Mitchell @ 1.72 Sportsbet I've also had a little bet on Drew Mitchell. No sound reasoning, apart from the fact that he is a very good player and should be on the end of a number of backline raids tonight. He is also returning from injury and will be looking for a huge performance to give himself the best chance of securing a birth in the side as the finals get deeper.

I've been avoiding the large handicaps so far this world cup, but tonight I'll have a pop on the Aussies. Australia (-61.5) v USA @ 1.95 Sportsbet :cheers I simply think the Aussies will be too good, and should have enough to cover the line. They have put out a very strong squad and will be looking to bounce back after the dissapointing outing against Ireland. USA have put out a weaker side then usual, to help them focus on 'winnable' games (in the words of the commentators!). First Tryscorer - D Mitchell @ 6.00 Sportsbet :@ To Score 2 or More Tries in 80 min - D Mitchell @ 1.72 Sportsbet :@ I've also had a little bet on Drew Mitchell. No sound reasoning, apart from the fact that he is a very good player and should be on the end of a number of backline raids tonight. He is also returning from injury and will be looking for a huge performance to give himself the best chance of securing a birth in the side as the finals get deeper.
The boys eventually covered the handicap with less then 5 minutes to go. It could have been secured a little earlier if Beale and Cooper had their damn kicking boots on! Also, Drew Mitchell was quite unlucky not to secure the two tries. I counted at least 3 occasions in which he could of scored the second try, but his team mates decided to take it themselves or chose another option. A shame really, but not overly dissapointed in my bet.

I cant have Australia at that sort of handicap vs a team that ran Ireland close and will not finish bottom of the group. There are a few major differences between todays mauling and tomorrows game. USA haven't just been smashed by two lesser teams. There are actually 7 world ranking points LESS between these two teams and SA and Namibia. USA +60.5 Willhills @ evens
middled on this after about 15 minutes of the second half when it looked like USA were flagging. Was quite surprised to see anyone struggle that bad against that australia front row, cant help but think these easy games will be their downfall when they turn up undercooked for SA.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Was quite a sweat as US played well and aussies poorly in a first half . Total aussie tries = 11 . Nice result in the end but the aussie performannce in the first half got me concerned . Dun think they'll be rwc winners at this stage .

One standout bet for me today Australia vs USA - Aussie to score more than 9.5 tries @ 1.88 from betfair Was thinking between -59.5 or this bet but decided to play safe and go for this instead . Time for an aussie backslash after an ireland defeat ? Sounds like a decent time to do that against a B team USA side .Fancy another one sided game just like the Saffers did yesterday . Aussie just arent going for too many penalty kicks in front of goals , hence most of their points has to come from tries and conversions .

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Can't wait for the New Zealand - France game in the morning. The French team line-up makes me want to back the Kiwi's on the handicap but i can't help but think the French are capable of surprising everyone still. Should be a cracker. Going to take on for the England game though..... Saturday: England vs Romania 3/5pts England (-52 points) to beat Romania - Evens with Victor Chandler I fancy England to really up their game for this match. Last weekend they made far too many errors in the first half and it was refreshing to see the likes of Haskell coming out and being honest about the performance. Johnson has picked a strong line-up for the game although, to be honest, any team he picked would beat this quality of opposition. The backs are, in my opinion, our strongest 7 whilst the forwards will have enough to put the Romanian scrum under pressure and therefore nullify their only real strength. Argentina put these away comfortably last time out and i would put England a level above them when it comes to running in tries so we should be good enough to get more points than they scored. Romania come into this playing a very weak side compared to what is normally their first choice line-up. They are concentrating on the Georgia game and with the weakened side they shouldn't put up too much of a challenge here. England won't make as many errors here as they did last week against a side who they have previously scored over 100 points against. Whilst Romania have improved since their last meeting they are still a poor quality team comapared to England and are a step below Georgia, who England beat well last week.

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 I was also liking the look of England on the handicap but I've been put off by the weather forecast. So far as I can see it's for strong winds and rain, that could well mean it's the forwards rumbling up the middle and the superior skill and pace of the backs will be negated. Will wait and see what the weather is like at kick off, if it's dry then I'll go with England.

I'm no rugby expert, but surely France shouldn't lose to New Zealand by more than seventeen points? What do you lads think of France +18 @2.00?
Personally i can see New Zealand winning by 25-30 points... Either that or France will win the game!! You get 2 sides to France, either absolutely fantastic or absolutely horrendous... I think New Zealand will feel like they owe France a hiding after 4 years ago and i can see New Zealand battering them

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 A couple of very tough games to call today first up we have England against Romania with the handicap currently +/-55 @bet365 like the Aus game yesturday I think England will beat the spread but it wont be a comfortable bet for this game i'm going to stick with most points scored in the second half @1.66 with an understrength Romanian team i'm hoping come the 60min mark like yesturday England should run away with it. France Vs All Blacks an incredibly tough game to call and one I wont be putting any bets down before the game (maybe a cheeky inplay bet) anything could happen in that game All Blacks could easilly beat the spread but then its not inconcievable for the French to win I think you'll have to be a brave man to have punt on this one

I was also liking the look of England on the handicap but I've been put off by the weather forecast. So far as I can see it's for strong winds and rain' date=' that could well mean it's the forwards rumbling up the middle and the superior skill and pace of the backs will be negated. Will wait and see what the weather is like at kick off, if it's dry then I'll go with England.[/quote'] The Stadium in Dunedin is covered, so there will be no weather to compete with. england handicap looks tasty

Re: Rugby World Cup 2011 Let the weekend of sport begin! and lets start with my first two bets. England v Romania (+55.0) @ 1.92 Sportsbet I think the line is just about right, and I think it will be a comfortable victory for England, but from what I've seen of them so far this World Cup, I can't honestly see them beating Romania by more then 55. I'll happily take the line today. New Zealand (-18.0) v France @ 1.92 Sportsbet Comfortable victory for the All Blacks here. They are a phenomenal side and should have enough in the tank to overcome the -18 mark. Plenty of depth and talent across the park, and a home ground advantage (granted that may not add much weight, but for it's worth, NZ are rarely beaten at home and generally turn it on for their home fans). France are still a decent side and I expect them to put up a fight, but the All Blacks will eventually win the arm wrestle and hopefully put a few late tries on. GL All.

Let the weekend of sport begin! and lets start with my first two bets. England v Romania (+55.0) @ 1.92 Sportsbet :@ I think the line is just about right, and I think it will be a comfortable victory for England, but from what I've seen of them so far this World Cup, I can't honestly see them beating Romania by more then 55. I'll happily take the line today. New Zealand (-18.0) v France @ 1.92 Sportsbet ;) Comfortable victory for the All Blacks here. They are a phenomenal side and should have enough in the tank to overcome the -18 mark. Plenty of depth and talent across the park, and a home ground advantage (granted that may not add much weight, but for it's worth, NZ are rarely beaten at home and generally turn it on for their home fans). France are still a decent side and I expect them to put up a fight, but the All Blacks will eventually win the arm wrestle and hopefully put a few late tries on. GL All.
Small loss, honestly didn't expect England to be so good.