** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August

Tuesday 16 August 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Barnsley v Middlesbrough (19:45 BST) 2.87 3.5 2.6 101.82 %
maximize.gif Doncaster Rovers v Nottingham Forest (19:45 BST) 3.1 3.45 2.4 102.91 %
maximize.gif Ipswich Town v Southampton (19:45 BST) 2.25 3.4 3.5 102.43 %
maximize.gif Leeds United v Hull City (19:45 BST) 2.3 3.7 3.58 98.44 %
maximize.gif Portsmouth v Reading (19:45 BST) 2.6 3.4 2.9 102.36 %
maximize.gif Watford v West Ham (19:45 BST) 3.4 3.5 2.25 102.43 %
maximize.gif Crystal Palace v Coventry City (20:00 BST) 2.12 3.4 3.5 105.15 %
Wednesday 17 August 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Cardiff City v Brighton & Hove Albion (19:45 BST) 2.15 3.45 3.46 104.40 %
maximize.gif Leicester City v Bristol City (19:45 BST) 1.57 3.95 6.89 103.47 %
maximize.gif Millwall v Peterborough United (19:45 BST) 1.93 3.5 4.3 103.64 %
maximize.gif Blackpool v Derby County (20:00 BST) 1.9 3.6 4.75 101.21 %

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Not sure if anyone noted, but Pompey re-signed Benjani on a year long contract at the weekend. I'll be taking the price on us as I think it will give us a lift, and his presence up front will make us a lot more threatening. Assuming he starts of course.... We were over priced against Brighton, but as with most our games for the last year it comes down to who scores first. We generally keep it very tight, and don't create much either. Here I think we are overpriced again, and should Benjani play I think we have a better chance than the odds suggest.

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Early thoughts are that the price on Cardiff looks very appealing. Brighton have been heavily tipped pre season to win the league, and are being priced up as though they are already Championship promotion contenders. I just think it's all early days and their price has been reduced to suit. They weren't that good against us, and had to stage a late come back on the opening day against Doncaster to reduce a one goal defecit.

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August

Not sure if anyone noted, but Pompey re-signed Benjani on a year long contract at the weekend. I'll be taking the price on us as I think it will give us a lift, and his presence up front will make us a lot more threatening. Assuming he starts of course.... We were over priced against Brighton, but as with most our games for the last year it comes down to who scores first. We generally keep it very tight, and don't create much either. Here I think we are overpriced again, and should Benjani play I think we have a better chance than the odds suggest.
The Pompey game interests me on Tuesday night but will probably take a Portsmouth DNB rather than outright. I thought it was a bit harsh you guys lost to the seaweeds on Saturday, a draw would have been more than fair. A couple of things do concern me for Pompey V Reading, 1. Readings strong away form and 2. The Cotterill interview after the Brighton game, there was some bewilderment and lines like "There are times when they're almost strangers to each other at the momment!?!?!?". Pompey are a team that has quality throughout and I am a fan of Cotterill but would you say you have too many 'central' players in the team? Do some players get played out of their natural positions often? Early doors and weird results aplenty but I think a Portsmouth DNB is do-able at the prices currently quoted. Would like to hear your thoughts Jase or anybody else who is pondering this fixture...

Pompey are a team that has quality throughout and I am a fan of Cotterill but would you say you have too many 'central' players in the team? Do some players get played out of their natural positions often?
I think there's a general lack of creativity in the squad still, with Laim Lawrence really our main player in that area. The only player that I think isn't playing his natural position is probably Ben Haim at right back. Other than that we have a very versatile squad of players, due to lack of finances we've had to sign players that can move about when required. Young Joel Ward for one was supposedly a defender, but is now being used predominantly in midfield, and to be fair he has done a job there. Very difficult to know really what his best position is. This is a personal opinion - I'm not a huge fan of this 4-3-3 we operate, because we have one striker up front that can become quite isolated at times, and we have a striker (Nugent last season, Varney this) ploughing the left side. If you're Chelsea then you can make it work, but we're not and don't have the players in that system to generate too many chances. It's used quite well to keep the score down. You couldn't go far wrong this season backing either 2-1 CS or the unders, when we are at home. I've not seen that comment from Cotterill, and I can only assume he was being slightly over critical. The majority of these players have played with eachother for a long time now, and should know eachother fairly well.

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Hull seems like a good shout considering Leeds' horrible form and the missing players they'll have tomorrow. Moreover, Hull were very strong in their away games last season and they already won against Ipswich on Saturday. I know it's kinda derby, but still I think Hull are overpriced.

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Leeds-Hull under 2,5 1,92 pinnacle 4pts Leeds has been poor so far,losing both of their previous matches and in the weekend,both striker Gradel and midfielder Howson were sent off.Therefore,they are going to miss this encounter.Theri strikers Paynter,Beccio,Somma and Grella have all been not in the swaud at the weekend but I don't know the reason.I can't imagine that all of them were injured.Leeds had no striker left on the bench. I think they will have some real problems this season if they continue to play that poor style. Hull have a scoring of 1:1 after the first two matches,losing at home and winning away from home.They have not the best offense but their defense isn't bad on the other side. I think they will continue to play a safe defense and try to make 1 goal to seal the victory. All in all I can't see many goals in this clash,Leeds have been poor and misses out on 2 players while Hull is no team with a big offensive power. GL:ok

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August West Ham 5/4 Skybet Seems a good price to me got off the mark against Doncaster and had many chances to score a few more. Watford for me are going to struggle a bit this season and I can see west ham with that strength they have in midfield Nolan, Parker, Noble being to strong for Watford.

Can one of you guys please tell me what Lay means when betting on a game? i see people lay a team but i have bever undersood what that means.
If you lay a team, you're saying that they will not win. Basically, it's a double chance. If you lay West Ham, you're saying that it will either be a draw or Watford will win. :ok

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August West ham 6/5 to beat watford paddy power :hope West ham got off the mark on saturday away to Doncaster and should have won by more than 1 goal and the week before they had enough chances to beat Cardiff as said above i agree watford will struggle this year they've only got 1 point in 2 games , west ham look really strong this year nolan parker taylor carew look like they have goals in them and these are the games which they need to win if they want to challenge for the league

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Right i see, thanks for the answer, would you say it is worth laying on some games? I'm thinking about the Boca Juniors game this morning and i may lay the opposing team NOT to win on pretty big odds, would it be worth it? Sorry about this not being about the Championship by the way.

Right i see, thanks for the answer, would you say it is worth laying on some games? I'm thinking about the Boca Juniors game this morning and i may lay the opposing team NOT to win on pretty big odds, would it be worth it? Sorry about this not being about the Championship by the way.
Depends if you think the lay is worth the risk. Remember you only win the stake you lay. If for example you lay Portsmouth at 2/1 for £10, your liability is £20 but you will only win £10 (£9.50 after deductions).

Right i see, thanks for the answer, would you say it is worth laying on some games? I'm thinking about the Boca Juniors game this morning and i may lay the opposing team NOT to win on pretty big odds, would it be worth it? Sorry about this not being about the Championship by the way.
Have a read of this - :ok http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betting_exchange#Laying There's probably a few threads on Punters Lounge to do with laying, so I would do a search, or put up a new thread here where I am sure someone will be along to assist as it's quite a huge area of sports betting to explain - Punters Tools & General Betting Help Forum

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Doncaster Vs Nottingham Forest Both are playing poor at the moment and not scoring goals, value is on the home side but I dont think Forest will lose again on the road. So unders (2.5 goals) and the draw looks like good value. Under 2.5 @1.66 bet365 Draw @3.35 bet365

Leeds-Hull under 2' date=5 1,92 pinnacle 4ptsTheri strikers Paynter,Beccio,Somma and Grella have all been not in the swaud at the weekend but I don't know the reason.I can't imagine that all of them were injured.
Paynter, Becchio and Somma are all injured. Grella is available on the transfer list after Simon Grayson told him he could leave. He clearly doesn't fancy him. We have however just signed Andy Keogh on a free transfer. He's a good striker at this level so Leeds' striker crisis isn't as desperate as it could have been. I'll probably be avoiding the match as a betting opportunity today but If I had a gun at my head I'd be on the OVERS @ 2.12. Everyone knows about Leeds' defensive problems and last year, 70% of their home games went over. On Saturday Leeds lost 0-1 and this low scoring affair probably had something to do with the ref sending 3 players off.

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Crystal palace to beat coventry even money paddy power :hope Coventry manager andy thorn has said he is 14 players off what he had last year lost all 3 so far this season including a loss to league one bury 3-1 victory over burnley at the weekend will give palace confidence and they should get the result over a team who have only won once in there last 13 away games

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Crystal Palace V Coventry Darren Ambrose joins the injury list along with Nathaniel Clyne, Steffan Iversen, and Glenn Murray, Dean Moxey is still suspended. I am unsure as to weather Jonathan Parr is on international duty with Norway but I will take a blind stab and claim he will play for us tonight. Ambrose missing won't be as big a blow as some people think as he has been under-performing for a long time now. He's still a match winner but not the force he was a couple of seasons ago. Many of Palace's new additions such as Tunchev, Parr and McGivern performed well on Saturday but the real headline was the performance of the much maligned Owen Garvan. Garvan is a player with un-doubted talent but has been slated by many at Palace, including myself due to some very light-weight performances. Against Burnley he ran the midfield with confidence and vigour but also got stuck in and tracked back which is vital if he is to be a success at our club, or anywhere else for that matter. The re-emergence of Garvan and Scannell will probably be massive for Palace this season. Despite these positives Palace are still a work in progress and caution should be applied before backing us to win tonight. Coventry may have lost their first two games but they are battlers, if nothing else, and ex-Palace defender Andy Thorn will be determined to get something from tonights game. I know that I have predicted draws for our first two fixtures but the midweek factor raises this probability another notch for tonights match. Another low scoring affair is likely and the match could well be decided on set-pieces with two dogged defences shutting down what little remains in the opposing teams diminished forward lines. As I stated earlier a good performance from Palace on Saturday but our side maybe a little too fresh to be winning consistently this early on. Injuries to some of our more experienced players may bite in this type of game. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Tunchev, McCarthy, Parr, McGivern, Wright, Garvan, Dikgacoi, Scannell, Easter If I had to bet on this game: Under 2.5 @ 3/4 (Betfair) Feeling saucy: Owen Garvan anytime goalscorer @ 11/2 (Bet365)

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Found an interesting treble that i am considering taking. West Ham to beat watford at 2.20 in my opinion cannot be ignored. Watford are not a bad side but with players such as Parker, Noble, Nolan, Cole et i think West Ham will be too strong for Watford. Crystal Palace at 2.00 to beat Coventry who are struggling and have a few injuries also cannot be ignored, Palace on the back of a good win against Burnley will feel confident. Finnaly this may seem a little risky but i am backing Arsenal on a handicap -1 against Udinese with odds of 2.20 as i think they will want to prove a point tonight that there is life to Arsenal after Fabregas. Udinese will most likely approach this game very defensively but i believe the pace of Arshavin, Gervinho and the finishing of Chamakh will prove too good for udinese. Wenger would prefer to win 2,3-0 tonight to concentrate on some big games coming up in the Premier league, therefore i am predicting that Arsenal will put on a show! Odds for this treble are 9.68/1 and in my opinion it is very likely to happen! Opinions?

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August I really like West Ham to win to nil at Watford @3/1 with Paddy Power. Big Sam's teams are always solid defensively, and their opponents have forged very few good opportunities in their opening 2 matches. Given Watford's rather blunt attack, the Hammers' overall superior quality and the fact that West Ham don't have to worry about the expectation of their home crowd to play attractive football, I think this is a very good bet.

Event Portsmouth - Reading
Selection Portsmouth DNB (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 16/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 2.25
Reasoning Both teams have full fit squad to this game at Portsmouth and looking to history we can't say the hosts are no favourite, as they won 20 of the 44 games they faced Reading, only loosing 10 of them. Portsemouth need to win as they are still winless this season, and we are talking about all the competitions. Reading is still unbeaten after two games in the Championship, gtetting a win and a draw. A third unbetaen game would surprise me as they are not a top team. And Portsmouth has a boosting return, with Benjani back to play in the hosts side, surprising everyone. He rejected the move to Blackburn and he will be a good help for Portsmouth. With him, Portsmouth will be more energic and will play with big heart. Reading is moralized but they for sure don't forgot yet the defeat they got last season, putting a end opoint on their play-off chances...

Found an interesting treble that i am considering taking. West Ham to beat watford at 2.20 in my opinion cannot be ignored. Watford are not a bad side but with players such as Parker, Noble, Nolan, Cole et i think West Ham will be too strong for Watford. Crystal Palace at 2.00 to beat Coventry who are struggling and have a few injuries also cannot be ignored, Palace on the back of a good win against Burnley will feel confident. Finnaly this may seem a little risky but i am backing Arsenal on a handicap -1 against Udinese with odds of 2.20 as i think they will want to prove a point tonight that there is life to Arsenal after Fabregas. Udinese will most likely approach this game very defensively but i believe the pace of Arshavin, Gervinho and the finishing of Chamakh will prove too good for udinese. Wenger would prefer to win 2,3-0 tonight to concentrate on some big games coming up in the Premier league, therefore i am predicting that Arsenal will put on a show! Odds for this treble are 9.68/1 and in my opinion it is very likely to happen! Opinions?
I agree on westham and arsenal but you never know with palace.Your only hope with regards to the palace game is that hopefully the win on Sat lifted them but so far nothing they have done in the last few weeks suggest they are the type of team to get back to back wins. Im surprised the odds on arsenal to win are as up as 1.5. Granted they have a lot of players missing but Udinese only just started preparing for the new season and have sold a number of their key players.Im certain Arsenal will win, its a pity I dont have a farm as I would put the farm on it(As the aussies say:lol) but as much as I believe the -1 will come through you just never know with Arsenal.They messed up 2 accumulators during pre-season while leading in both matches and its are just accident prone at the moment.

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Doncaster - Nottingham Forest : Under 1,5 (3,00) @ Bet365 Doncaster takes on Nottingham Forest at Keepmoat Stadium Both teams have startet the season anything but approved. Doncaster have lost both their matches of the season. First they where a head in 83 minutes but had to see Brighton run with all 3 points. The next round was followed by a defeat by West Ham. That games was lost as expected. All 3 points whent to West Ham by a narrow 0-1 lose. It actually succeeds Doncaster defensive, to keep West Ham from any big chances. Nolan's goal after the fifth minute, was West Ham's only shot on goal. Nottingham Forest lost last season's play-off matches, and had to settle for another season in The Championship. It was too much for the board who saw no other option than to sack Billy Davies. His replacement is the former England boss Steve McClaren. His start in Nottingham, has not created optimism around the Reds. After the first 2 rounds, there is only 1 point on the line with 0 goals to follow. In the previous 10 matches between these two sides, has only produced 17 goals-This gives an average of 1.70 goals per game. Doncaster. Sean O'Driscoll & Co. saved Doncaster from relegation by just 6 points down to Preston last season. The team was driven by their offensive players in the form of Billy Sharp and James Hayter. The two scored a total of 24 Doncaster 55 goals. The two are not included in today's squad, as both had to retire from the match against Brighton. They are just 2 of many, Doncaster players who are currently at the injury list. In defense are James O'Connor, Shelton Martis, James Chambers and Adam Lockwood missing. At the midtfield iare Martin Woods, Brian Stock and Mark Wilson are also absent. Overall 9 players around the start-up. Nottingham Forest. The Reds were last season the top 6 teams that scored the lowest. This has led the club to act transfer wise. Last season's second-top scorer Robert Earnshaw, are now at Cardiff. He is replaced by former Blackburn and Olympiakos striker Matt Derbyshire and the former West Brom attack reserve Ishmael Miller. None of them got their debut yet but both are in the squad for today's match. For Ishmael Miller's case, he came to Forest yesterday. He therefore supposed not to have trained with his new teammates yet. Steve McClaren must struggle to ignore midfielder Paul Anderson. He colleague at the midtfield Radoslaw Majewski is questionable but will be tested up to the match. :hope

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Leeds United v Hull City: Draw: 3.30 Bet365 Hull have an incredible away record! they won away at Ipsiwch on saturday in am impressive victory as Ipswich are expected to do well by many this year, they also actually dominated that match, Hull are actually undefeated in 19 away games in the Championship now. Leeds have a shortage of strikers due to injuries and suspensions, so they have signed Andy Keogh on a short term loan from Wolves. Leeds are fighting for their first points in the new season and they will come under pressure from the home fans if they do not perform here so expect them to go out all guns blazing! These 2 normally fight out tight affairs with 3 out of the last 4 being draws.

Re: England > Midweek > Championship > 16,17 August Crystal Palace v Coventry - Crystal Palace @ EVS - Ladbrokes Crystal Palace are a strong side at home; they keep things tight and nick a goal where they can. They started well but were eventually pegged back by Peterborough in their first game but followed up with a solid 2-0 victory over a decent Burnley side at home. Everyone knows of the troubles at Coventry but they will battle tonight. I fancy Palace to edge this, possibly by a single goal. Cardiff v Brighton - Cardiff @ EVS - Ladbrokes Okay, Brighton have started well but look at the teams they have played; Doncaster and Portsmouth (who I support). They even needed a slice of luck to prevail in both games with 10 minutes of extra time in their first game and a penalty miss against us. Portsmouth dominated for quite a fair bit of the game and if Cardiff can do the same they will get themselves in-front. Cardiff aren't fancied this year but I like the signings that they have made - expecially Conway and Earnshaw. Brighton's luck to run out here, for me. I know there are slightly better prices available but I placed these in a shop.

I really like West Ham to win to nil at Watford @3/1 with Paddy Power. Big Sam's teams are always solid defensively' date=' and their opponents have forged very few good opportunities in their opening 2 matches. Given Watford's rather blunt attack, the Hammers' overall superior quality and the fact that West Ham don't have to worry about the expectation of their home crowd to play attractive football, I think this is a very good bet.[/quote'] While I agree that West Ham are far and away favourites to win this match, I feel I should give you some warning on what you've said, seeing as I have seen us in the flesh and can hopefully advise better than the journalists that make their mind up from the stats. Away to Burnley we had (reportedly) the better of the game and but for a double-deflection would have walked away with a win. Possibly even a win to nil. At home to Derby we had 24 attempts on goal. Frankie Fielding played a mini-blinder. Yes, Derby were poor and at the end of the day here we are on 1 point close to the foot of the table, but to say our attack is blunt is somewhat... foolish IMO.