** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August

Saturday 13 August 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Barnsley v Southampton (15:00 BST) 3.05 3.4 2.58 100.96 %
maximize.gif Birmingham City v Coventry City (15:00 BST) 1.82 3.65 5 102.34 %
maximize.gif Crystal Palace v Burnley (15:00 BST) 2.86 3.4 2.7 101.41 %
maximize.gif Doncaster Rovers v West Ham (15:00 BST) 3.7 3.65 2.12 101.59 %
maximize.gif Ipswich Town v Hull City (15:00 BST) 2.1 3.55 3.9 101.43 %
maximize.gif Leeds United v Middlesbrough (15:00 BST) 2.2 3.5 3.65 101.42 %
maximize.gif Leicester City v Reading (15:00 BST) 1.95 3.7 4.3 101.56 %
maximize.gif Millwall v Nottingham Forest (15:00 BST) 2.52 3.4 3 102.43 %
maximize.gif Portsmouth v Brighton & Hove Albion (15:00 BST) 2.52 3.4 3 102.43 %
maximize.gif Watford v Derby County (15:00 BST) 2.06 3.65 3.9 101.58 %
Sunday 14 August 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gif Blackpool v Peterborough United (15:00 BST) 1.84 3.75 5 101.01 %
maximize.gif Cardiff City v Bristol City (15:00 BST) 1.75 3.95 5.8 99.70 %

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August As much as I don't like short priced away favourites I'm taking West Ham at Doncaster nice and early. Donny had 7 players out before their trip to Brighton, with a rather susceptible looking defence. With the injuries picked up for Hayter and Sharp looking serious they couldn't be facing the Hammers at a worse time. West Ham 11/10 Corals

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Just took the same bet myself Rockettman so encouraged somebody else is thinking along the same lines :ok Doncaster vs West Ham - West Ham 11/10 @ Corals As pointed out, Doncaster were dealt a double blow with both first choice forwards Hayter and Sharp being ruled out for a considerable time during the Brighton match, which leaves them relying on Brown, who is yet to make his debut and his fitness does not come guaranteed. The other likely replacement Barnes also looked short of match fitness during his cameo vs Brighton. As the tail end of last season proved, Doncaster without Sharp tend to lack a touch of belief and are a much easier prospect for visiting teams. However, even without the double injury I feel I would be backing West Ham. I was very impressed with some of the passing during their opener, they were the best team in my opinion. They also defended reasonably well and on another day could have won the fixture. If anything they lacked a touch of creativity in the final third, but I doubt a moment of craft or subtlety will be required this coming Saturday. Doncaster have a very obvious achilles heel in being unable to deal with crosses into the box, long balls forward and in particular set pieces. This appears to play into the hands of a team who has the excellent delivery of Taylor, partnered with the aerial presence of Nolan and any combination of Cole, Piquionne and new signing Carew. It is also important to add how successful Allardyce was when last visiting the Keepmoat, his second string Bolton side dismantling Doncaster via direct ball forward and set plays. I was also very impressed with the way Bolton stifled the attractive possession play which is the hall-mark of Sean O'Driscoll's side. I cannot imagine Doncaster being able to repel West Ham, especially with the large gulf in physical attributes. I expect a strong, physical game, with West Ham running out comfortable winners with at least one goal from a set piece! I may be interested in a small stakes punt on Winston Reid first goalscorer, but cannot find any bookie that has priced this market up yet, so will have to review that later in the week. Taking all of the above into account, I am delighted to be able to take a price of 11/10 currently with Corals, personally I'd price the away win up nearer 8/11 and I expect to see the price shorten throughout the week.

Re: Scotland > Weekend > SPL > 13-14 August

Sport Football (England - Cham)
Event Leicester v Reading
Selection Draw
Strength 10/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 3.60
Reasoning this game will be very tough as the reading i know will not settle for a defeat in this game as they are more powerful in defense when it comes to playing games ta away and i think they will onlt wanting to settle for a darw in this very game while the home team will too want to take their chances as they did in their opening game last weekend in they won with a loan goal which i think they suppose to draw but this time around they will not have a choice as the away team will force them to a draw.

Event Ipswich v Hull
Selection Ipswich
Strength 10/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.00
Reasoning Ipswich with a win over Bristol City at away in a game they ended 3-0 i think they are really ready for the championship and i don't think the awat team will have a word in this game after 90 minutes as Ipswich are more better and play better even when they play games at home and i think they will win this game.

Event Barnsley v Southampton
Selection Southampton
Strength 10/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Sportingbet @ 2.45
Reasoning Southampton are a good sides and with what they play last i think this team still have their form intact as they did in last season in their last 4 games of last season in which they won ,they are a team that create alot of goal scoring chancing and they take their chances they scre in all most all their games and i think they can overshadow the home team in this match.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Birmingham-Coventry under 2,5 1,78 2pts 12bet Birmingham misses out on King,Jerome and Zigic.These 3 strikers are their best,Rooney and new sigling Wood are not that good.The Blues will defend and relay on their defense and then making one or two goals to win. Coventry misses striker Eastwood and midfielder Deegan as well as defender Wood.Their team is much worser than last season.They bought no one expect 2 keeper which is far to less to remain in the league. Blues to win 1:0. GL:ok

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August We're down to 1 fit centre back at the moment, and he's a youngster with very little experience although by all accounts has looked good, including Saturday when he came on. We've got Riggot, Anderson, Leacock, Barker, Buxton all definitely out and Shackell carrying a knock but may make the game. Our left backs include Kilbane and Roberts who are both sh*te, at least we've got a decent right back in Brayford.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August And to give a view from the other side of that match, south_eastern_ram... We (Watford) are at full strength, missing only Steven McGinn (long term). Our game against Bristol Rovers was postponed and although the lads travelled up there they should be feeling far fresher. Against Burnley we put in a great performance, although the first 30 and last 15 were poor. Our new boys seem to have settled in well and unfortunately for you guys I can't see you threatening too much. I would go for the home win, although be wary as it's "Kids for a Quid" day - a fixture where we often disappoint. I am finding it hard not to follow my heart on 2.15 offered by Will Hill. Watford to beat Derby @ 2.15

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Crystal Palace V Burnley Doom and gloom set in after only one game last week amongst the Palace notso faithfull. I for one believe in Freedman as a manager, we only need to look as far as our un-beaten record at Selhurst last season under his stewardship to see it's a bit of a nightmare for teams to come down Selhurst and take all 3 points. Burnley went into extra time mid-week against Burton Albion and I am hoping this will be more of a hindrance than a help to them. Palace had no game as the home match V Crawley was cancelled due to the troubles. In fairness I think some of our players were really lacking match fitness last week and 90 minutes V Crawley could have been usefull to us. New signing Glenn Murray is rated 50/50 for this match and fellow striker Steffan Iversen is still a couple of weeks away to returning from his hamstring injury. Despite the dissappointing loss to Peterborough I don't envisage Freedman making wholesale changes and the Palace lineup will probably look like this: Speroni, Ramage, Davies, McCarthy, Parr, McGivern, Dikgacoi, Wright, Ambrose, Scannell, Easter A low scoring draw is likely here, my projections are as follows: Palace: 35% Draw: 45% Burnely: 20% If I had to bet on this game: Under 2.5 @ 10/11 (William Hill) Crystal Palace DNB @ EVS (Paddy Power) Feeling saucy: Darren Ambrose anytime goalscorer @ 7/2 (William Hill) Correct score 1-1 @ 6/1 (Betfair) Correct score 0-0 @ 11/1 (Betfair)

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August

We're down to 1 fit centre back at the moment' date=' and he's a youngster with very little experience although by all accounts has looked good, including Saturday when he came on. We've got Riggot, Anderson, Leacock, Barker, Buxton all definitely out and Shackell carrying a knock but may make the game. Our left backs include Kilbane and Roberts who are both sh*te, at least we've got a decent right back in Brayford.[/quote'] So backing over 2,5 is a good idea,isn't it?

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Watford/Derby Over 2.5 @ 4/6 From what was said above, Derby have defensive issues, whilst Watford have an excellent record of throwing away goals for fun. Watford went over 2.5 more than any other team in 2009/10, and went over something like 60% of games last year (I may be slightly out on exact numbers, but the point is there). I can see this being over 3.5 if you are feeling slightly braver.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Sport Football (England - Cham) Event Doncaster - West Ham Selection West Ham Strength 10/10 Date 13/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 1.95 Reasoning Second round of England Championship West Ham is one of the candidate to make promotion to Premier League, strong team, not concended too many players before this season. West Ham in first round played against dangerous Cardiff, unlucky lose - concended goal in extra time of the match. Doncaster? This is not West Ham level, any chances for promotion, propably fighting about safety position at the end. In first round lose 1:2 on away against Brighton. West Ham players are hungry win and make it! Sport Football (England - Cham) Event Watford - Derby Selection Watford Strength 10/10 Date 13/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 2.10 Reasoning Second round of the England Championship. Watford in first round of the new season played on away against Burnley, match ended with draw 2:2, but Watford been better team on the pitch. Players looked good and at home can be more stronger. Derby is home team, like always, in first round make good result, won 2:1 at home against Birmingham, but not show better football than Watford in first round. Watford in last season won 3:0 at home against Derby Sport Football (England - Cham) Event Leeds - M'Boro Selection Leeds Strength 10/10 Date 13/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 2.25 Reasoning Second round of the England Championship. Leeds in my opinion can make better result in this season than Middlesborough, more potential in squad. Leeds in first round played against one of the biggest candidate to promotion - Southampton - on away and lose 3:1. In wednesday played in Carling Cup at home and won 3:2. Players can feel good after win. Boro in first round of the season played on away against Portsmouth, match ended with draw 2:2. Boro defense look really shaky. Sport Football (England - Cham) Event Ipswich - Hull Selection Ipswich Strength 10/10 Date 13/08/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.09 Reasoning Second round of the England Championship. Ipswich in first round of the new season show great stuff - strong defense and effective offense. Destroy Bristol City 0:3 on away. Chopra score two goals. Hull in first round of the new season played at home against Blackpool, but not looked good - don't have big offense weapons. This team can have goalscoring problems in this year. If Ipswich keep level from first round win this match without big problems.

Have you any sites where i can find starting lines for saturday matches?! :unsure
:welcome to PL. Usually starting lineups aren't announced until right before kick off. http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm should have lineups as soon as they are announced :ok
i think barnsley vs sotton could end a draw game considering their last match stats.
:welcome to PL also.... Which match stats are you refering to? :unsure Please have a read of the UK & Irish Football Forum rules :ok

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Few I like.

Event Barsnley vs Southampton
Selection Southampton
Strength 5/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.40
Reasoning Nice juicy odds for Southampton to win. They won their opening match 3:1 and followed that with a 4:1 win in the carling cup. Barnsley on the other hand drew their opening game 0:0 and won their carling cup game 0:2. I feel that with the recent results being in Southampton's favor, I fancy to continue on their momentum and to go on to win this match.
Event Watford vs Derby
Selection Over 2.5 Goals
Strength 7/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Blue Square @ 1.80
Reasoning Since 2004, these two teams have met a total of 6 times in this exact fixture. Out of these 6 times, Over 2.5 Goals has come through 5 out of 6 times. Watford's first game ended Over 2.5 Goals with the score of 2:2 whereas Derby have won their first game with the score of 2:1 and lost their Carling cup game with the score 2:3. All of these recent games indicate to me that this match should be a high scoring one, with both teams' defenses being weak and their attack being relatively strong.
Event Ipswich vs Hull
Selection Ipswich
Strength 5/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Victor Chandler @ 2.05
Reasoning Ipswich won their first game in convincing style with a score of 3-0 over Bristol City. On the other hand Hull lost at home to Blackpool. All in all based on the performance put in by Ipswich in their 1st game, I expect them to win this with the momentum they got going for them at the moment.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Portsmouth v Brighton - Portsmouth @ 2.58 with Betfair Interesting test for Brighton here, facing a side that's full of Championship (& Premier League) experience away from home. I don't expect Poyet's side to be in any danger of a return to League 1 this season, but I don't quite buy into the theory that they are serious promotion contenders either. Their away form was good was last season (11-7-5), but if you delve a little deeper they only managed 1 win (at Peterborough) and suffered 3 defeats (at Huddersfield, MK Dons, & Bournemouth) to teams that finished in the top 6. Portsmouth were under the cosh at times against Middlesbrough last week, but showed their battling qualities to come away with a decent point. With such a small squad, they remain vulnerable to injuries and suspensions, but their first eleven looks a match for most sides in the division. David Norris never quite won the Ipswich fans over, but he scores useful goals from midfield (11 last season) and should help Pompey to improve on their poor tally of 53 goals in total last season. With Lawrence likely to be fit for this game, and only new signing Jason Pearce unavailable, I think Pompey are overpriced here and the value lies firmly with the home win.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Ipswich fan here I like the fact the 3 people that think we'll definitely win have backed us. HOWEVER, the main issue we have for today's game is at CB. Our only GOOD CB Ingirmarsson is out, and the other who started at Bristol City Delaney is also 50/50. He will play, however he's quite shocking when not lead and if he's 50/50 could be a disaster. I was at the Bristol City game, and I thought 3-0 flattered us frankly. We only had 4 shots on target, yes we were the better side and passed the ball around better than City, however had it not been for David James twice it would have been a different game. Also, in my opinion we will be MUCH more suited to away games this season with the players and system we have. Not sure we'd particularly dictate games at home necessarily..... away on the counter I think we'd do quite well... Hull have started badly, however will be desperate for a result. Lost both games at home, HOWEVER last season they went unbeaten away for a lonnng lonnggg time. Again, they could be better suited to playing away. I don't see this game as a forgone conclusion whatsoever, would be delighted with the 3 points. I have Hull down to do well this season.

Portsmouth v Brighton - Portsmouth @ 2.58 with Betfair Interesting test for Brighton here, facing a side that's full of Championship (& Premier League) experience away from home. I don't expect Poyet's side to be in any danger of a return to League 1 this season, but I don't quite buy into the theory that they are serious promotion contenders either. Their away form was good was last season (11-7-5), but if you delve a little deeper they only managed 1 win (at Peterborough) and suffered 3 defeats (at Huddersfield, MK Dons, & Bournemouth) to teams that finished in the top 6. Portsmouth were under the cosh at times against Middlesbrough last week, but showed their battling qualities to come away with a decent point. With such a small squad, they remain vulnerable to injuries and suspensions, but their first eleven looks a match for most sides in the division. David Norris never quite won the Ipswich fans over, but he scores useful goals from midfield (11 last season) and should help Pompey to improve on their poor tally of 53 goals in total last season. With Lawrence likely to be fit for this game, and only new signing Jason Pearce unavailable, I think Pompey are overpriced here and the value lies firmly with the home win.
Agree we do look overpriced :ok All I'll add is that I don't think we've really changed or improved on last season. We were being priced up fairly similar a lot of the time at home, and barring our mid season run, were struggling for goals. So, I think this will come down to whomever takes the lead first. On a positive note I believe we will see an above average performance today from us following our 1-0 home loss midweek to Barnet, in the cup. It could have been a lot worse by all accounts, and the players were kept locked in the dressing room for an hour afterwards, so I can't see Steve Cotterill accepting as bad a performance.

Event Barnsley - Southampton
Selection Southampton
Strength 10/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.40
Reasoning This will be a very balanced game for sure, but Barnsley didn't satrt well the season and they couldn't yet won any game or score any goal in all official games they played this season. They started with a goaless draw and they played badly, not giving me confidence on them. Southampton started the season on great form, with two wins and seven goals scored on the two games. They also beated the record of consecutive wins in their history and they will try to extend it to eight.

Event Doncaster - West Ham
Selection West Ham
Strength 10/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price William Hill @ 1.91
Reasoning West ham is one of the biggest names in this Championship. Everybody agrees they are one of the great contenders to promotion this season. After hiring Sam Allardyce this summer as new coach, followed by the signing of Nolan, one of the best midfielders in the Premier League, West Ham is one step up the other Championship clubs. Doncaster is only expected to fight hard against relegation. Anything can happen on a football game but i don't believe West Ham will loose points here today.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Portsmouth vs Brighton - Brighton DNB 2.12 (Betfair) Don't really take much notice of 1st couple weeks of games but this one is a good one to me. Brighton are full of attacking flair and positivity and have goals in them. That feel good factor is very strong in their club and I think they're more than capable of winning here. Saw them against Doncaster and they were in control for most of the game and I just feel there's a spirit of positivity and real belief there which will see them do very well. IMO. The bet here is good value.

Ipswich fan here I like the fact the 3 people that think we'll definitely win have backed us. HOWEVER, the main issue we have for today's game is at CB. Our only GOOD CB Ingirmarsson is out, and the other who started at Bristol City Delaney is also 50/50. He will play, however he's quite shocking when not lead and if he's 50/50 could be a disaster. I was at the Bristol City game, and I thought 3-0 flattered us frankly. We only had 4 shots on target, yes we were the better side and passed the ball around better than City, however had it not been for David James twice it would have been a different game. Also, in my opinion we will be MUCH more suited to away games this season with the players and system we have. Not sure we'd particularly dictate games at home necessarily..... away on the counter I think we'd do quite well... Hull have started badly, however will be desperate for a result. Lost both games at home, HOWEVER last season they went unbeaten away for a lonnng lonnggg time. Again, they could be better suited to playing away. I don't see this game as a forgone conclusion whatsoever, would be delighted with the 3 points. I have Hull down to do well this season.
Yes Hull's away form last season was excellent. It's a bit too early to start getting carried away by a couple of early performances so I'm with you on tempering the early season enthusiasm. I'm not sure I'll be touching this game yet but Ipswich seem a little on the short side for my liking.

Crystal Palace V Burnley Doom and gloom set in after only one game last week amongst the Palace notso faithfull. I for one believe in Freedman as a manager, we only need to look as far as our un-beaten record at Selhurst last season under his stewardship to see it's a bit of a nightmare for teams to come down Selhurst and take all 3 points. Burnley went into extra time mid-week against Burton Albion and I am hoping this will be more of a hindrance than a help to them. Palace had no game as the home match V Crawley was cancelled due to the troubles. In fairness I think some of our players were really lacking match fitness last week and 90 minutes V Crawley could have been usefull to us. New signing Glenn Murray is rated 50/50 for this match and fellow striker Steffan Iversen is still a couple of weeks away to returning from his hamstring injury. Despite the dissappointing loss to Peterborough I don't envisage Freedman making wholesale changes and the Palace lineup will probably look like this: Speroni, Ramage, Davies, McCarthy, Parr, McGivern, Dikgacoi, Wright, Ambrose, Scannell, Easter A low scoring draw is likely here, my projections are as follows: Palace: 35% Draw: 45% Burnely: 20% If I had to bet on this game: Under 2.5 @ 10/11 (William Hill) :cigar:cigar:cigar Crystal Palace DNB @ EVS (Paddy Power) :cigar:cigar:cigar Feeling saucy: Darren Ambrose anytime goalscorer @ 7/2 (William Hill) :@:@:@ Correct score 1-1 @ 6/1 (Betfair) :@:@:@ Correct score 0-0 @ 11/1 (Betfair) :@:@:@
Palace manage to get the win here despite the missing personnel, I might stop suggesting correct scores with our games. Will try and cook up something for Coventry mid-week. Shout-out to 'FCP' who's making some great calls in the Championship so far.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Blackpool v Peterborough: Over 3.5 goals: 7/4 with Stanjames. Hoping for better luck than I got in the Premier League yesterday. This bet is simply an extension of the obvious Over 2.5 but those odds aren't great and bookies obviously on to the fact that this 2 attack minded teams playing today. Both teams missing a key player from last season (Charlies Adam and Craig Mackail-Smith) but hoping their attacking principles remain the same. Now the teams will hopefully be playing with a bit more freedom than teams tend to allow each other in the opening games of the season, I'm chancing my arm that they can nudge over the 3.5 mark.

Blackpool v Peterborough: Over 3.5 goals: 7/4 with Stanjames. Hoping for better luck than I got in the Premier League yesterday. This bet is simply an extension of the obvious Over 2.5 but those odds aren't great and bookies obviously on to the fact that this 2 attack minded teams playing today. Both teams missing a key player from last season (Charlies Adam and Craig Mackail-Smith) but hoping their attacking principles remain the same. Now the teams will hopefully be playing with a bit more freedom than teams tend to allow each other in the opening games of the season, I'm chancing my arm that they can nudge over the 3.5 mark.
I definitely think there'll be goals here, but I think asking for four may be a stretch. Blackpool'll still be attacking this season, but I think it'll be less so than last season, down to personnel, really. I don't think it matters that Mackail-Smith has gone for Posh, as they still have plenty of goals in them, and a poor defence. I'd reckon 2-0 to Blackpool, maybe 2-1, but hopefully I'll be wrong and it'll be your four.

Re: England > Weekend > Championship > 13-14 August Going to stay away from the city game today. I'd imagine the line up will be pretty similar to that of the west ham game but there's too many ifs buts and maybes here. I think we are favourites, but dont think that the price on us is value at all. Its Malkay's first proper home game, it'll be many players home debut in a competative match but it's also the severnside derby, Bristol sit bottom of the table and Malkay has never won his first 2 games in any coaching or managerial capacity. I watched the West Ham game last week and found it difficult to really measure how we did. We faced what was, effectively, a lower Premiership side on their own turf but, again, they had a new manager and a weight of expectation. I thought we held firmly at the back but we also rode our luck too - a point we could have argued that may have deserved, 3 points we definitely did not. At home to Bristol, I would expect that we would press more ourselves and try to take the game to them but will wait to see if that leaves gaps in defence. Only Talylor has been added to the back line (depending on whether he plays in defence or midfield), so I feel we have some stability there, but how we attack will determine this game. I think there are going to be goals in the Cardiff side, but so many new faces in midfield and attack leaves an expectation that we will need time to be fully functioning and may rely on mistakes (as seen at West Ham) to nick most of our early goals from. We should win, but Bristol are not light years behind us and if they get their tactics right, could force a low scoring draw or even a one goal margin win. No bet for me.