** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Champions League > 16-17 August

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Champions League > 16-17 August

Some early thoughts... FC Copenhagen - Plzen Both teams seems to have good offensive capabilities. Over 2.25 for 1.94 @ 188Bet seems to be tempting. :hope Twente - Benfica I have sympathy for both teams and I rate Benfica one class above this Twente team. The only problem that Benfica might have is that they approach this away match with a lame-ass attitude. Since both teams are attacking minded and have offensive power and even though this is the first match in which home teams try to prevent an away goal, again over 2.25 for 1.98 @ SBOBET seems to be tempting. :hope Lyon - Rubin Kazan Rubin will play for a draw. They have already played many matches in the Russian premier league whereas Lyon has played only one match. I doubt whether Lyon have the creativity, passing game and the offensive power to win by a big margin. Kazan +0.75 for 2.06 @ Pinnacle Sports could be a good option. :unsure
FT: 1-3 :beer FT: 2-2 :beer FT: 3-1 :(

Re: UEFA Champions League > 16-17 August Arsenal game finished 1-0, so congrats to those who were on unders. Honestly speaking, I do not recognize this team. Without Fabregas and Nasri, with this defence that looks so inconfident, I'm afraid the Gunners have a really difficult season in front of them. I think I'll be on Udinese to progress, if they created so many chances at the Emirates, I'm worried they can beat Arsenal in the second leg. Interesting will be what the price is offered cheers

Twente - Benfica: Draw @ 3.40 (SkyBet) 10/10 The draw result has good chances here, I think. Twente started the season in a positve way. The hosts won the Dutch Super Cup against Ajax and in the league they have defeated Breda and Alkmaar. Twente is good at home generally and specifically in European competitions where in 8 matches they have only 1 defeat (4 draws; 3 wins) but with a propensity for the draw. Benfica has made some quality additions to its roster so they may be at least half a click better than last year. Benfica stumbled in its first league match at Gil Vicente (2-2) but the impending CL match could have been a distraction. The guests have a 7-7-5 record against Dutch teams and a 1-6-2 away record. In its last 4 matches against Dutch teams Benfica has played to a draw. The teams are pretty even in terms of quality and readiness. I think both will be careful knowing that the other has scoring potential. I think we could get a 1-1 or even 2-2 draw here. The draw is a good percentage bet in this match. BATE Borisov - Sturm Gratz: Draw @ 3.56 (Pinnacle) 10/10 There isn't much difference between these teams in terms of roster quality. Borisov is in 1st place in its league with a comfortable 8 point lead. Gratz hasn't started well in Austria (record: 1-2-1) but did manage to get a win this weekend against Rapid Wien (1-0) so confidence will be okay going into this match. Borisov is undefeated in its last 6 European matches but with a propensity towards the draw (2-4-0). Gratz hasn't won in its last 7 away European matches, but does get a good amount of draws (0-3-4). I can't see Gratz winning but I am not confident that Borisov will do its job and win either. This is likely to be a very tight match which increases the chances of the draw result and it offers value, I think. Good Luck...:hope
This went well.....:clap It would have been a grand night had the unders in Copenhagen - Plzen gone through since the GG in Twente - Benfica went through and Arsenal won allowing my treble to win....4 goals in the 2nd half after a 0-0 1st half.....:wall That's why bookies love accum. bets....they usually take your money..... Arsenal won, but they were not convincing against a mediocre Udinese team...... Anyway, +39.60 units is fine in the CL tonight......:ok

Bate Borisov : Sturm Graz

Bate could be well placed as favorites but the odds are not attracting me and instead I rather go for Sturm Graz. Bate might have more European experience but their current form is not at the top of the hill and a proof to that is the poor game on Friday when they lost to FC Minsk. Sturm Graz on the other hand is coming into this encounter on the back of a 1:0 win against Rapid Wien and that might be the morale boost they need for this 1st leg. Bate will be missing suspended playmaker Renan Bressan and Evgeni Kuntsevich, Alexsandr Pavlov which are injured. Also 5 more other players are threatened to miss the second leg if they pick up a yellow card. Sturm Graz has also few missings but they also stand on a 6 player threat in case of yellow card. The teams might try not to bruise each other too much and risk suspensions for the decisive leg in Austria and I expect a tight game with few chances for both sides. Odds are tasty for asian handicap on Sturm so I'll go for that and hope they will be at least go home with a draw. Plus, even if they would lose by 1 goal difference I'll still recover half of my stake. Selection: Sturm Graz +0.5,+1.0 @ 1,72 - 6/10

FT: 1:1 :clap Sturm Graz should have won this one.

Arsenal game finished 1-0, so congrats to those who were on unders. Honestly speaking, I do not recognize this team. Without Fabregas and Nasri, with this defence that looks so inconfident, I'm afraid the Gunners have a really difficult season in front of them. I think I'll be on Udinese to progress, if they created so many chances at the Emirates, I'm worried they can beat Arsenal in the second leg. Interesting will be what the price is offered cheers
Agreed, will def be backing Udinese to qualify/win (Not sure yet). Arsenal just looked to have no real cutting edge and wern't stringing passes together in their usual "Arsenal style" whilst also looking decidedly dodgy at the back, bar Sagna/Gibbs who I thought were excellent (especially going forward).

This went well.....:clap It would have been a grand night had the unders in Copenhagen - Plzen gone through since the GG in Twente - Benfica went through and Arsenal won allowing my treble to win....4 goals in the 2nd half after a 0-0 1st half.....:wall That's why bookies love accum. bets....they usually take your money..... Arsenal won, but they were not convincing against a mediocre Udinese team...... Anyway, +39.60 units is fine in the CL tonight......:ok
In that acca there were 12 possible outcomes. You picked 1 while bookies had 11, that's why they love it. I was also mad when there were 4 goals in the second half :@

Re: UEFA Champions League > 16-17 August I am interested in bookings in B.Munich-Zurich game. The Swiss side will most likely defense with their entire team and it will be very hard to defend against players like Ribery and Robben. So I can see plenty of cards here.

Re: UEFA Champions League > 16-17 August ...didt someone mention that robben is out for this match??? what do you think about Bayern to win with a clean sheet?? If everyone says that Zurich will deff with most of the team sounds like a safe bet imo odds are around 1,7 i think ;)

...didt someone mention that robben is out for this match??? what do you think about Bayern to win with a clean sheet?? If everyone says that Zurich will deff with most of the team sounds like a safe bet imo odds are around 1' date='7 i think ;)[/quote'] Odds are not worth it. Zurich scored 13 goals in theor last 6 games, so I think they will be able to score at least 1 goal tonight.

Event Odense - Villarreal
Selection Villarreal
Strength 10/10
Date 17/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 1.91
Reasoning Odense use to be the ideal opponent for the Spanish teams as they only won one time against them. But it was a historical and big win. They couldn't defeat Getafe, Osasuna or Villarreal (they faced on Intertoto in 2005), but they won at Santiago Bernabeu in 1995. That game is the biggest join of his history as they won 2-0 on that night against a Real Madrid who had as captain the Danish idol, Michael Laudrup. And they want to repeat history, getting a place on Champions League. They nerver played a Champions League game and they only participated one time, in 1975, being defeated by Levski Sofia. They play a physical and direct football. The only advantage they have is that they have much more rhythm than the Spanish as they already played five Danish league games, being fifth placed at the moment, and got their first defeat last weekend against Aalborg (1-2). Very few to avoid a team like Villarreal reach the Champions League.

Re: UEFA Champions League > 16-17 August Bayern Munich - Zurich under 2.5 @ 2.87 bet365 Bayern have not gotten off to the start they expected in the Bundesliga with a 1-0 loss at home to Borussia Mochengladbach and then an injury time winner (1-0) at Wolfsburg. Defensively they look much better than last year but in their attack, though they have some quality players, they have not produced what they are capable of. They are better than Zurich and should win, but the odds are pretty low. The under has much more value as Zurich will defend for as long as possible to keep Munich tied down and hopefuly frustrate them. Zurich drew with Standard Liege 1-1 on the road in the previous round of the CL, where they conceded an equaliser in injury time and then beat them 1-0 at home, and while they have a much tougher task here, defensively they looked decent enough to suggest that they could keep this scoreline respectable. Bayern will likely win this, maybe 1-0 or 2-0, but believe that Zurich will not that easily be beaten here Dinamo Zagreb -1 (EH) @ 2.75 centrebet Dinamo sees this as a great opportunity of progressing into the CL group stages, after a series of qualifiers where they get to this point and then have the misfortune of playing very good sides. Now they play a side that they are better than, and they should be able to expose them. Defensively they are pretty solid at the back and have conceded just once in their 8 games they have played so far, so like them to hold out Malmo. Malmo beat Rangers in the last round where they led 1-0 after the first leg which was played in Scotland, but at home, they managed to draw 1-1, and that was only after Rangers had a players sent off, they they scored and had another player sent off, before Malmo then managed to equalise in the 80th minute. They will face a tough task of trying to hold off a Dinamo side that will have a very passionate home crowd urging them on, and technically better game than what Malmo has shown so far. Like a fired up Dinamo side to prove too strong here as they look to take a healthy lead into second (away) leg. Maccabi Haifa - Racing Genk over 2.5 @ 2.29 pinnacle Going off these two teams have been scoring in their games to date, but also conceding, and like this trend to continue here. Maccabi beat Borac Banja Luka 5-1 at home but then lost 3-2 in the away leg, and then in the last qualifiers, they beat Maribor 2-1 at home and then drew 1-1 away. Genk will see this as an opportunity that they can progress against a side that is on their level, as they beat Partizan 2-1 at home and drew 1-1 in the away leg. They are coming off a 2-2 home draw with Zulte Waregem in the Belgian League, so this is another game where they have drawn and conceded goals. With reports that both sides are missing players in the defence, then the possibility of goals and this game going over then increases.

I think villareal will win tonight.. odense past over panathinaikos and the greeks are very weak this season.. what do you think guys?
panathinaikos was 1-1 in denmark and everybody in greece thought that they passed to the next leg then in athens the combination of stress and poor defensive abilities created a 3-4 win for odense panathinaikos is a very good team in europe, they beaten last year rome, they have also beaten werder and inter before 3 years(inside their home stadions in all 3 matches), they are very experienced however they managed to lose from the danish team, so me odense is very respectfull team the key thing here is if utaka will play or not if utaka play the most value bet is odense +0,5 @ 2,04 ----- they have lost to villareal with 0-3 back in 2004 in a similar encounter but i cannot see the history repeated since this time they have more matches in their feet and they are a much better team this year(the 2004 match was 3rd july, very early for the danish league)

panathinaikos was 1-1 in denmark and everybody in greece thought that they passed to the next leg then in athens the combination of stress and poor defensive abilities created a 3-4 win for odense panathinaikos is a very good team in europe, they beaten last year rome, they have also beaten werder and inter before 3 years(inside their home stadions in all 3 matches), they are very experienced however they managed to lose from the danish team, so me odense is very respectfull team the key thing here is if utaka will play or not if utaka play the most value bet is odense +0,5 @ 2,04 ----- they have lost to villareal with 0-3 back in 2004 in a similar encounter but i cannot see the history repeated since this time they have more matches in their feet and they are a much better team this year(the 2004 match was 3rd july, very early for the danish league)
Also OB Odense played 4-5 competitive games in their league and they haven't lost a single game yet. For Villarreal it will be first official game and they are considered favorites because of their name and recent European record.

Re: UEFA Champions League > 16-17 August Dinamo Zagreb - Malmo: Draw @ 3.94 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Great odds, I think, for the draw result in this match. I don't think there is any remarkable difference between these teams to justify Zagreb's short odds (1.60ish). The hosts may be a top team in Croatia but on a European level I would consider them average. The Swedish champions, Malmo, I believe play in a somewhat more competitve league. The guests are having a mediocre season in Sweden and stand in 9th place. The team's focus is certainly the CL. In its last 6 league matches Malmo has a record of 1-4-1 which reveals a propensity for the draw. Against Rangers, Malmo got a 1-1 draw in Sweden and won in Scotland 0-1. Seventy percent of Malmo's away matches in Sweden go under 2.5 goals which explains its propensity for draws in away matches (2-5-3 record). Dinamo may have the home advantage, but they will be careful, as will Malmo, given that this is the first match and Zagreb doesn't want to face the same fate as Rangers. Both teams will want to avoid conceding in the first match. Malmo will play it tight and aim to get a result for the reverse fixture in Sweden. The Swedish team is clinical and more than capable of getting a point in Zagreb. The draw result, at the given odds, provides great value, I think. Odense - Villarreal: Draw @ 3.70 (Pinnacle) 10/10 I think that Villarreal's odds are too short. Yes, the Spanish team has the better roster and it competes in a better league. But, Odense does have better match readiness and the home advantage. Furthermore, Villarreal wasn't exactly the strongest team in away matches in the 2010-2011 season in Spain (record: 5-5-9) where they couldn't defeat teams that were at Odense's level if not below that. Odense's last CL match, at home, was a 1-1 draw against Panathinaikos. I think Odense's home advantage and better match readiness (Villarreal's season hasn't started) will balance out with Villarreal's better quality and provide a draw result. The draw leaves the better team, Villarreal, quite happy and allows Odense a shot at a suprise in Spain. Good value, I think, for the draw result here. Wisla Krakow - APOEL: Draw @ 3.40 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 In terms of quality I believe these teams are similar. I think both teams will have as a priority not to concede a goal/s. Wisla is strong at home and has a 5-1-0 record in its last 6 home CL matches (over the last 6 years). But, APOEL is a well organised team that hasn't conceded a goal in its last 4 CL matches. It should be a very tight match with increased chances of the draw result. Good Luck....:hope

Re: UEFA Champions League > 16-17 August about dinamo: only missing alispahic, but to my surprise, kovacic won't play but callello instead. so leko on the right, badelj left. still, a very strong composition capable of convincing win. full stadium, positive atmosphere, but also big pressure from the public and media. i go with dinamo -0.75 for 3/10.

Maccabi Haifa - Racing Genk over 2.5 @ 2.29 pinnacle Going off these two teams have been scoring in their games to date, but also conceding, and like this trend to continue here. Maccabi beat Borac Banja Luka 5-1 at home but then lost 3-2 in the away leg, and then in the last qualifiers, they beat Maribor 2-1 at home and then drew 1-1 away. Genk will see this as an opportunity that they can progress against a side that is on their level, as they beat Partizan 2-1 at home and drew 1-1 in the away leg. They are coming off a 2-2 home draw with Zulte Waregem in the Belgian League, so this is another game where they have drawn and conceded goals. With reports that both sides are missing players in the defence, then the possibility of goals and this game going over then increases.
Important news! Genk have some important absents. Vandeborre and Anele are suspended. And Ogunjimi and De Bruyne are injuried. The suspended players are important defensive players. This would be the line up for Racing Genk. Limbombe will be on the bench because of problems with his pasport. RC Genk: Köteles, Durwael, Nadson, Joneleit, Pudil, Buffel, Hubert, Tözser, Barda, Kennedy, Vossen Maccabi Haifa: Davidovitch, Meshimar, Falach, I.Cohen, Tawatha, Vered, Boccoli, Amasha, Yahaya, Golasa, Dvalishivili I will follow your bet, with a little stake :hope

panathinaikos was 1-1 in denmark and everybody in greece thought that they passed to the next leg then in athens the combination of stress and poor defensive abilities created a 3-4 win for odense panathinaikos is a very good team in europe, they beaten last year rome, they have also beaten werder and inter before 3 years(inside their home stadions in all 3 matches), they are very experienced however they managed to lose from the danish team, so me odense is very respectfull team the key thing here is if utaka will play or not if utaka play the most value bet is odense +0,5 @ 2,04 ----- they have lost to villareal with 0-3 back in 2004 in a similar encounter but i cannot see the history repeated since this time they have more matches in their feet and they are a much better team this year(the 2004 match was 3rd july, very early for the danish league)[/quote

Dinamo Zagreb - Malmo: Draw @ 3.94 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Great odds, I think, for the draw result in this match. I don't think there is any remarkable difference between these teams to justify Zagreb's short odds (1.60ish). The hosts may be a top team in Croatia but on a European level I would consider them average. The Swedish champions, Malmo, I believe play in a somewhat more competitve league. The guests are having a mediocre season in Sweden and stand in 9th place. The team's focus is certainly the CL. In its last 6 league matches Malmo has a record of 1-4-1 which reveals a propensity for the draw. Against Rangers, Malmo got a 1-1 draw in Sweden and won in Scotland 0-1. Seventy percent of Malmo's away matches in Sweden go under 2.5 goals which explains its propensity for draws in away matches (2-5-3 record). Dinamo may have the home advantage, but they will be careful, as will Malmo, given that this is the first match and Zagreb doesn't want to face the same fate as Rangers. Both teams will want to avoid conceding in the first match. Malmo will play it tight and aim to get a result for the reverse fixture in Sweden. The Swedish team is clinical and more than capable of getting a point in Zagreb. The draw result, at the given odds, provides great value, I think. Odense - Villarreal: Draw @ 3.70 (Pinnacle) 10/10 I think that Villarreal's odds are too short. Yes, the Spanish team has the better roster and it competes in a better league. But, Odense does have better match readiness and the home advantage. Furthermore, Villarreal wasn't exactly the strongest team in away matches in the 2010-2011 season in Spain (record: 5-5-9) where they couldn't defeat teams that were at Odense's level if not below that. Odense's last CL match, at home, was a 1-1 draw against Panathinaikos. I think Odense's home advantage and better match readiness (Villarreal's season hasn't started) will balance out with Villarreal's better quality and provide a draw result. The draw leaves the better team, Villarreal, quite happy and allows Odense a shot at a suprise in Spain. Good value, I think, for the draw result here. Wisla Krakow - APOEL: Draw @ 3.40 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 In terms of quality I believe these teams are similar. I think both teams will have as a priority not to concede a goal/s. Wisla is strong at home and has a 5-1-0 record in its last 6 home CL matches (over the last 6 years). But, APOEL is a well organised team that hasn't conceded a goal in its last 4 CL matches. It should be a very tight match with increased chances of the draw result. Good Luck....:hope
Not sure about Wisla-APOEL game but I will follow you on the 2 other games and also will take them both in a Double @ 12.60 (1 unit) Ladbrokes

the key thing here is if utaka will play or not if utaka play the most value bet is odense +0,5 @ 2,04 ----- [/quote
is this Peter Utaka you're talking about? He played some years in Belgium (at Westerlo/Antwerp). I remember him as a very poor striker. Needed 6 chances to make (perhaps) one goal :lol