** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England: Premier League Aug 13-15

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Further Team news following on from my recommendation for Blackburn v Wolves DRAW Doyle looks set to be fit for the game, whether MM will go with him and fletcher up top in a 4-4-2 remains to be seen. He does tend to try and play 4-4-2 when he can until things turn bad and then get cautious and reverts to 4-5-1. Personally, i think wolves will do better going 4-4-2 as 4-5-1 would just be inviting pressure back on to us especially if Doyle wasn't the lone striker. However, regardless of the formation and whether Doyle does or doesn't feature i still believe the value lies in the Draw. Other news, Hitzelsperger looks likely to be signing soon. He had a look around Molinuex 2 weeks ago and apparantly liked what he saw. He then spoke to Qpr and Fulham before confirming he had chosen his preferred club and it wasn't in London. Most agents,reporters seem to believe it Wolves he's chosen and a deal is to be announced soon. Whether he'll make the Blackburn, i don't know, especially as he's had no pre season. But this will be a decent buy (free) for Wolves and i think along with O'hara in the middle, and other key players such as Johnson,Doyle,Fletcher and the wingers (jarvis but watch out for Hammill) we are gathering a decent squad and one to look out for over the season for decent value in matches. Good luck and I've gone in 7/10

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Newcastle v Arsenal Both sides facing tough seasons for different reasons, I think however Arsenals drift in price to above evens has made them backable here. Yes they haven't added much to the team yet but they are still at least a couple of levels above Newcastle who have lost Nolan, Barton (kind of) and looks like they will be losing Enrique too. I would price them around 1.8 so happy to take the evens on offer generally. This fixture also has a history of goals and with two weakish defences I think both teams will score, however i cannot see it finishing 1-1 so will also be backing over 2.5 goals. Selections: Arsenal to win @ 2.00 with Bet365 - 1 unit Over 2.5 goals @ 1.8 with Bet365 - 2 units

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Wigan v Norwich I think a lot of people jumping on the Norwich band-wagon here has pushed the Wigan price into one worth taking. I rate Martinez as a manager and although I think they will be near the relegation zone come May they are still an established Premier League team with plenty of experience and I think the price to beat newly promoted Norwich is too good to pass. Norwich have not added any quality to there squad I feel and will have to rely on there home form to keep them up this season. Selection: Wigan to win @ 2.2 with Bet365 - 2.5 units

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Liverpool will be very attacking this year - look at our pre-season results for more info. I was worried about our defence but we're signing Enrique and I think it was just that we didn't always have our first choice that made us concede so many in our earlier pre-season games, when we played mostly a first-choice team against Valencia we won 2-0. Suarez should play, Gerrard almost certainly won't. Liverpool to score over 1.5 goals @ 1.61 7 units Liverpool to score over 2.5 goals @ 3.00 3 units Carroll to score first and Liverpool win @ 6.00 0.5 units Suarez to score first and Liverpool win @ 5.00 0.5 units Man United are usually slow starters to the season. Their away form last year was terrible, and they haven't strengthened much this year so I don't think they'll beat West Brom by many. West Brom +1.5 Asian handicap @ 1.525 3 units I expect Chelsea to do well this year and they have a decent record v Stoke so Chelsea @ 1.66 3 units All bets with bet365 :hope

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15

Sport Football (England - Prem)
Event Newcastle - Arsenal
Selection Over 2.5 goals
Strength 10/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price 188bet @ 1.88
Reasoning Last season these 2 teams played one of the most entertaining games St.James' Park in a game ended 4-4 after Arsenal led 4-0 at half-time. Since than not much has changed in these 2 sides. Alan Pardew is still managing Newcastle, he didn't lose important players while adding more quality in midfield with the signings of Cabaye or Obertan. Demba Ba also signed with Newcastle after West Ham relegated, and this team doesn't like will be in the relegation fight this season. Arsenal of course still has Wenger as manager, they've kept Van Persie, Nasri or Fabregas at the club, and the only really missing is that of Clichy sold to Manchester City. Pacey winger Gervinho is their most notable transfer and he will add to Arsenal's scoring record. This team is built on scoring goals and on road trips last season they were more succesful on the road because they found spaces more easily. They also met Newcastle in a League Cup game last season, and they won 4-0 here. Over 2.5

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Event EPL
Selection Liverpool -1 AH
Strength 10/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.93
Reasoning First game back and the expectation is behind Liverpool to follow up last season's improvements and continue progessing. Last season was the easy bit, riding the crest of the wave but now we have to show an ability to when clear favourites against reasonable sides. Liverpool's pre-season has shown some doubts at the back but the final game versus Valencia appeared to show a more resilient back line, as would normally be expected. We appear to be able to pick from a stong squad with few injuries/resting players. Sunderland have made wholesale changes and have brought in some experienced players. However, they struggled to break teams down last year, drawing a blank in almost a third of their games. The main players brought in are defensive minded with Conor Wickham being more of a player for the future, based on a record of 9 goals in 41 appearances last year. Liverpool's home record was fairly impressive last year (the away record preventing a challenge to the top 4) and saw just 2 games where we failed to score and 9 clean sheets. Given the spending spree over the summer and the attacking options added since Kenny arrived, we now look a more dangerous threat. No beach balls, a stronger Liverpool attack, a poor Sunderland attack and away record suggests a home win. The straight 1x2 odds appear poor value but 1.93 sees money returned for a 1 goal win to Liverpool - and with the striking options available to Kenny, there should be a few goals scored to mak the intentions for the season.

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 My picks for the opening matches are; Blackburn vs Wolves – Wolves +0.5 AH 1.75 at Victor Chandler (4.5/10 units) Got to fancy Wolves to get something out of this game given that Blackburn have already lost Phil Jones in the transfer window and Samba and Nelson are likely to miss the game through injuries. Neither side are the most potent in attack but which such a depleted back line, Wolves must be able to nick a goal and that will probably be enough for the win, although this bet will also cover a draw. Wolves have added more steel during the summer in O’Hara and Johnson so will be a tough team for someone like Blackburn to break down. Liverpool vs Sunderland – Liverpool -1AH 1.91 at Victor Chandler (6/10 units) From what I’m hearing and reading there is a lot of optimism and excitement around Anfield at the moment after their recent spending sprees, both this summer and back in Jan. I think Adam and Downing will be excellent signings for them, with the supply they can give Carroll in particular, and Enrique will solve a problem position for them and should make them defensively more solid than there were under Kenny last season. Daglish will want to capitalise on this optimism and a home game vs Sunderland is the ideal opening fixture for them, and I expect a comfortable win. With Suarez rumoured to be in the squad that’s another attacking threat they have, and with some defensive concerns that Sunderland have I think Liverpool could get 2 or 3 tomorrow. Steve Bruce prefers Bramble and Turner as his CB pairing but both have struggled in pre season as they are still recuperating from injuries picked up last season so potentially it could be Wes Brown and Anton Ferdinand at the CB partnership which doesn’t fill me with confidence. Bruce is also unsure on his first choice goal keeper and I don’t think that uncertainly will help much either. They have lost Wellbeck as well so the attacking threat of this Sunderland team has probably decreased from what they had last season. Newcastle vs Arsenal – over 2.5 goals 1.80 at Victor Chandler (4.5/10 units) Both sides will want to go for the win here for differing reasons, and that will hopefully result in a few goals. Having lost Fabregas and Nasri (well pretty much anyway), as well as Clichy, Alan Pardew and his players may think that Arsenal are there for the taking and will I hope try and get at them and get them rumbled. It’s well known that Arsenal can get rattled quite easily, Newcastle will remember that from the 4-4 game last season and a couple of results in pre season in throwing away leads has done little to convince that Wenger has found a solution to this problem in the short term. However, it may just be that the Arsenal players are happy to move on from the constant speculation that’s been around Fabregas and Nasri all summer and prove they are more than just a two man team. They still have a load of talent even without those two player in the likes of Van Persie, Walcott, Ramsey, Gervinho, Arshavin and Wilshere (although he will miss this game) and its now time for those players to come to the fore, starting from tomorrow’s game. :hope

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 wolves info for anyone considering us o'hara rumoured to have injured his knee in training and almost certainly wont play doyle out despite mick saying he could be involved, he wont start anyway fancy us to go 4-5-1 now and play very defensively, as we dont have many attacking midfield players i expect to see something like: hunt--foley---henry---milijas---jarvis unless we go 4-4-2 they he will start with fletcher and ebanks-blake up front and foley drops back into the defence

A heads up for anyone backing Arsenal, place your bet at Ladbrokes on an Arsenal victory and should they take the lead and fail to win then they will refund upto £100. I don't intend on backing them but I would say that although 11/10 is around at other bookmakers it may be better to take the EVS with Ladbrokes given Arsenal's record letting a lead slip last season, especially the one here.

A heads up for anyone backing Arsenal, place your bet at Ladbrokes on an Arsenal victory and should they take the lead and fail to win then they will refund upto £100. I don't intend on backing them but I would say that although 11/10 is around at other bookmakers it may be better to take the EVS with Ladbrokes given Arsenal's record letting a lead slip last season, especially the one here.
For the sake of sacrificing the slight difference in odds, the extra insurance with the Ladbrokes bet is well worth it if backing the Gunners. Nice one.

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Wigan v Norwich - under 2,5 @1,95 with Bet365 Wigan in previous season was a team who played counterattack. It was so mainly because Latics hadn't got a good playmaker, and strikers and wingers predisposition, who were able to play very fast attack. Before the season, to Aston Villa moved N'Zogbia, who was a key figure in the tactic, many of his goals gave the points, also showed off assists. Wigan without him losing a lot when it comes to offensive play. The transfer window was neglected by Wigan and they have not bought anyone in the gap left by N'Zogbia and have not bought a good playmaker, which will continue the game came out poorly positional attack. And in a match against Norwich is difficult to expect that it was the visitors will dictate the pace of the game. This should please them 1 point. So their manager will set the counterattack. In short, I expect tomorrow clumsy attacks Wigan and low score. GL :ok

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Just to input on Wigan v Norwich from a Wigan fan trying to put a different perspective on some of the comments in this thread regarding our squad. Yes we lost N'Zogbia and yes he was by far our best player. However Moses finished the season brilliantly and has had a great pre-season - the hope is he will be this years N'Zogbia. Cleverley was in and out the team, had a few injuries and was often found missing so didn't contribute too much for us last year. That said, it doesn't mean he won't have a good year at Utd - better team and all that. His attitude was faultless. Tomorrow we will miss McCarthy who is rated at 10% chance of playing and Alcaraz (not match fit after Copa America). So could lack some midfield guile and solid defending as a consequence. Rodallega is very inconsistent and I would take anything over £5m for him tomorrow. Providing we spent it on someone. Connor Sammon also finished last season strongly - a proper centre forward brick shithouse who will cause problems if he plays regularly. So - Norwich will be well up for it - we are not 100% but in good mental form thanks to Martinez and no more dissenters (N'Zogbia handed transfer request in the day before the Blackpool humiliation last year) - and I would not be surprised with any result. Result - NO Bet Suggested Goalscorer Bets: Moses 1st Goalscorer 8/1 Various Moses Anytime Scorer 11/4 Skybet / Will Hill Good luck Peeps.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Event EPL
Selection Liverpool -1 AH
Strength 10/10
Date 13/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.93
Reasoning First game back and the expectation is behind Liverpool to follow up last season's improvements and continue progessing. Last season was the easy bit, riding the crest of the wave but now we have to show an ability to when clear favourites against reasonable sides. Liverpool's pre-season has shown some doubts at the back but the final game versus Valencia appeared to show a more resilient back line, as would normally be expected. We appear to be able to pick from a stong squad with few injuries/resting players. Sunderland have made wholesale changes and have brought in some experienced players. However, they struggled to break teams down last year, drawing a blank in almost a third of their games. The main players brought in are defensive minded with Conor Wickham being more of a player for the future, based on a record of 9 goals in 41 appearances last year. Liverpool's home record was fairly impressive last year (the away record preventing a challenge to the top 4) and saw just 2 games where we failed to score and 9 clean sheets. Given the spending spree over the summer and the attacking options added since Kenny arrived, we now look a more dangerous threat. No beach balls, a stronger Liverpool attack, a poor Sunderland attack and away record suggests a home win. The straight 1x2 odds appear poor value but 1.93 sees money returned for a 1 goal win to Liverpool - and with the striking options available to Kenny, there should be a few goals scored to mak the intentions for the season.
It is also worth mentioning that Liverpool has a 5-5-0 record against Sunderland in the last 10. I'll be having some of this one, too. Cheers

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Newcastle double chance @ 4/5 I dont understand why so many people are backing arsenal to beat newcastle, as an arsenal fan im not confident of our team at all going into this season. Newcastle aint the greatest of teams but this is not a game in which i expect us to win especially without the likes of fabregas and nasri who unfortuanatly look certain to leave the club. Wolves double chance @ 4/5 I dont rate blackburn that much and think they will struggle this year. They lost Phil Jones and heard that Chris Samba is struggling with injury. Wolves however i think will have a decent season, Jamie O'hara will prove to be a good signing and in Roger Johnson i feel there defence will be a bit more solid this season, i wouldnt be suprised if wolves won this game but will take the double chance for extra security. Double pays just over 2/1 :hope

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Liverpool v Sunderland Liverpool clean sheet @ 2.15 - Unibet (2.1 at bet365, Coral, Ladbrokes, VictorChandler) Right, I've not got much time, so I'm just writing this up quickly from some notes I took at work (woops). These odds are clearly due to Liverpool leaking in goals in pre-season, but there are two important points to look at here: 1) it's pre-season and 2) they were on the road. As soon as they returned home to their beloved Anfield, they beat Valencia (their toughest opponent in pre-season) 2-0 last week-end. And that's much like the story of last season, when they allowed 30 goals in 19 games away from home, and only 14 goals in 19 games at home. With the appointment of a certain someone as manager in January, we saw an improved defensive Liverpool side. Their home games under Dalglish were like so: 2-2 Everton 1-0 Fulham 2-0 Stoke 1-1 Wigan 1-0 Sparta Praha (Europa League) 3-1 Man Utd 0-0 Braga (Europa League) 3-0 Man City 5-0 Birmingham 3-0 Newcastle 0-2 Tottenham That's clean sheets in 7/11 games, allowing goals to Everton, Wigan, Man Utd and Tottenham, three of which definitely have a better offense than Sunderland. Worth noting that they beat Sunderland 2-0 away under Dalglish as well. With Welbeck and Henderson out (in addition to Bent in January), Sunderland sit back with a heavily weakened attacking force. Wickham seems an exciting purchase, but we can't really expect him to jump in and make a huge impact in his first Premier League game against Liverpool. They scored 20 goals in 19 away games last year, which isn't too awful, but not enough to push me away from this bet either. Sunderland have found it especially difficult to score against Liverpool as well. They hadn't scored at Anfield in six matches prior to the 2-2 game last season, and they've only managed to score against Liverpool once in the last five games at home. They drew 0-0 at Hibernian at the week-end, and have also failed to score against Burnley and M'gladbach in pre-season. I think Sunderland will go out defensively here, with Gyan as a lone striker, and they should be very happy to grind out a 0-0 result. Liverpool will be looking for a win, and if they do score a couple of early goals, I'm sure Dalglish will be out to properly set up his defense and won't be looking to allow silly goals if the game is out of Sunderland's reach. Overall, I think the odds are too high and overreacting to Liverpool's poor pre-season form. I think the chances of a clean sheet are close to 50%, actually.

Just to input on Wigan v Norwich from a Wigan fan trying to put a different perspective on some of the comments in this thread regarding our squad. Yes we lost N'Zogbia and yes he was by far our best player. However Moses finished the season brilliantly and has had a great pre-season - the hope is he will be this years N'Zogbia. Cleverley was in and out the team, had a few injuries and was often found missing so didn't contribute too much for us last year. That said, it doesn't mean he won't have a good year at Utd - better team and all that. His attitude was faultless. Tomorrow we will miss McCarthy who is rated at 10% chance of playing and Alcaraz (not match fit after Copa America). So could lack some midfield guile and solid defending as a consequence. Rodallega is very inconsistent and I would take anything over £5m for him tomorrow. Providing we spent it on someone. Connor Sammon also finished last season strongly - a proper centre forward brick shithouse who will cause problems if he plays regularly. So - Norwich will be well up for it - we are not 100% but in good mental form thanks to Martinez and no more dissenters (N'Zogbia handed transfer request in the day before the Blackpool humiliation last year) - and I would not be surprised with any result. Result - NO Bet Suggested Goalscorer Bets: Moses 1st Goalscorer 8/1 Various Moses Anytime Scorer 11/4 Skybet / Will Hill Good luck Peeps.
Very well put. I am a palace fan and Moses was unplayable and terrorised teams single-handedly towards the end for us and feel he will come very good for you this season after seeing some of his performances to the end of last year and in pre-season. Anytime g/s is a nice bet. As an aside, I hope we beat Crawley so we can welcome Victor home, along with one of my top 3 fave players of all time BOYCEYYYY.

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 Fulham - Aston Villa: Fulham @ 2.20 (William Hill) 10/10 Given the circumstances, I think this is a good price for Fulham to win. The hosts have better match readiness since they have already played competetively in the Europa Cup and have progressed to the next round. Aston Villa sold its best palyers and hasn't really brought in anything to replace them. The Villa fans are against the new coach and the climate isn't generally positive at Villa at the moment. Fulham is more ready than Villa in every respect and at home should get the win. QPR - Bolton: Bolton @ 3.45 (Pinnacle) 10/10 QPR is newly promoted and lacks experience at this level. The hosts' roster wasn't strengthened in any particular way for the beginning of the season. Impressions from QPR's pre-season weren't that positive. Bolton is an experienced Premier side that would have been higher than its 14th place (2010-2011) had it not been for a terrible end of the season. Bolton's weakness, last year, was the inability to win away (2-5-12). The team's 2 away wins came against West Ham (Relegated to Championship) and Wolves (almost relegated - 1pt above relegation). In the end, I think QPR is still probably a Championship level side and Bolton can play a click higher and win this. Blackburn - Wolves: Wolves @ 3.75 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 After finishing in 15th place (2010-2011) Blackburn sold its best player, Phil Jones, to Man. City and really hasn't added anything to the roster. The hosts will probably miss two important players (Nielsen and Samba). Wolves finished the 2010-2011 season in 17th place just 1pt above relegation. The guests will have probably strengthened their defense with the addition of Johnson. Wolves comes into the match without any real injury problems. Both of these teams will probably struggle to avoid relegation. But at the outset of the season Wolves seems the more ready team and in a position to take all three points. Liverpool should win with a better roster and the home field advatage against Sunderland, but @ 1.50ish I don't want to bother in a single. I'll be using Liverpool in a treble with Schalke and Dortmund to win from the Bundesliga.... Good Luck....:hope

Just to input on Wigan v Norwich from a Wigan fan trying to put a different perspective on some of the comments in this thread regarding our squad. Yes we lost N'Zogbia and yes he was by far our best player. However Moses finished the season brilliantly and has had a great pre-season - the hope is he will be this years N'Zogbia. Cleverley was in and out the team, had a few injuries and was often found missing so didn't contribute too much for us last year. That said, it doesn't mean he won't have a good year at Utd - better team and all that. His attitude was faultless. Tomorrow we will miss McCarthy who is rated at 10% chance of playing and Alcaraz (not match fit after Copa America). So could lack some midfield guile and solid defending as a consequence. Rodallega is very inconsistent and I would take anything over £5m for him tomorrow. Providing we spent it on someone. Connor Sammon also finished last season strongly - a proper centre forward brick shithouse who will cause problems if he plays regularly. So - Norwich will be well up for it - we are not 100% but in good mental form thanks to Martinez and no more dissenters (N'Zogbia handed transfer request in the day before the Blackpool humiliation last year) - and I would not be surprised with any result. Result - NO Bet Suggested Goalscorer Bets: Moses 1st Goalscorer 8/1 Various Moses Anytime Scorer 11/4 Skybet / Will Hill Good luck Peeps.
Excellent information provided and nice to read a balanced appraisal from a fan of one of the teams:ok Last season only two teams had home records that were worse than Wigan’s. Those teams were Blackpool and West Ham and we all know what happened to them. It was Wigan’s away form that kept them up, they finished a very respectable ninth in the away table just ahead of the likes of Fulham and Liverpool. Over the past couple of seasons Wigan have been very difficult to predict because one week they’ll beat a team of the calibre of Chelsea, the next get thumped by a struggler. What can you say about Norwich? Two successive promotions will do for a start with the joint best away record alongside QPR last season in the Championship. On paper they couldn't have selected a more attractive opening day away fixture to register some early points on the board. I’m reminded of opening day last season when Blackpool thumped Wigan 4-0 at the DW. I remember JK successfully recommending Blackpool -1 at 11/1. Well done again JK. I bet you wasn't expecting to hear praise on that one again;) It was a great shout though:ok Norwich look a more stronger proposition than Blackpool were. Certainly their points tally last season was far superior along with their away record when compared with Blackpool’s promotion season. Of course these are all statistics but at the beginning of a new season there is little else to go off. I ask myself can lightning strike twice on opening day? Well of course it can. A speculative punt has to be the order of the day. Norwich @ 11/4 Bluesq and 888sport Norwich -1 @ 17/2 Stan James

Re: England: Premier League Aug 13-15 English Soccer 2010-2011 38W-34L-14P -0.04 units (52.77%) Not a great year last year...lets hope I can do better this year Newcastle +0.5 (-123) to win 1 unit @ 5dimes Not really a lot to fall back on stat wise but you can obviously see Arsenal in some turmoil here with Cesc out the door and Nasri just about out the door. Even considering this, Newcastle played Arsenal well last year. They beat them once, and got a point with a thrilling 4-4 game. I think Newcastle is a solid home side , while Arsenal not that impressive of a road side. BOL This year

I agree on your Victor Moses bet - Unibet are offering 3/1 for him as anytime goalscorer (miles above anyone else), so I'm jumping on that :ok