** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 We saw alot of overs in this round and I expect the last game to be with similar outcome tonight. Blackpool boss Ian Holloway could also make wholesale changes for the first round tie. Seasiders trio Stephen Crainey, Craig Cathcart and Neal Eardley have been called up for international duty while keeper Matthew Gilks has suffered an ankle injury while training with Scotland and will be unavailable. Holloway will be giving his squad players a chance to impress, with Tom Ince set to make his debut. With such blows for Blackpool I cant see them with clean sheet for sure, on the other side we saw them as one of the most overish teams last season and with such offensive minded football, both to score and the over are very probable here. In their h2h record, Sheffield W. and Blackpool got 6 overs in their last 9 meetings over 2.5 goals 1.95 @ Interwetten

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11

Seeing as tonights match will be mainly made up of players who won't have played the league games' date=' do you think that statistic carries much importance? Also, a cup-game decided on the night in which neither team will want extra time is a completely different animal to friendlies and cagey, opening day league games?[/quote'] Well, statistics forms the basis of all if not most of my bets. Even if the squads are not going to be the same or completely different, statistics will and should provide an accurate gauge on how the squads will perform when at their best. I do see your point in regards to the defensive lines for both teams being weaker and hence there being a greater chance for goals, but the same argument can be taken for the attacking lines of each teams. They also may be generally weaker thus as a result chances of goals may be more limited. All in all any game can go either way, but basing my opinions on statistics is just the way I have always done things, and has worked out for me in the long run. Hope that clears things? Good luck for your bets also! :ok

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Worth adding that since my write up, SWFC have announced the signing of Daniel Uchechi from FC Dender on a 6-month loan deal and he will be eligible to play tonight - presumably he will play instead of Nathan Modest. He has been training with us for a short while apparently so will not be completely new to the squad.

Well, statistics forms the basis of all if not most of my bets. Even if the squads are not going to be the same or completely different, statistics will and should provide an accurate gauge on how the squads will perform when at their best. I do see your point in regards to the defensive lines for both teams being weaker and hence there being a greater chance for goals, but the same argument can be taken for the attacking lines of each teams. They also may be generally weaker thus as a result chances of goals may be more limited. All in all any game can go either way, but basing my opinions on statistics is just the way I have always done things, and has worked out for me in the long run. Hope that clears things? Good luck for your bets also! :ok
Absolutely, I wasn't suggesting your bet will not win, just wondering whether you take things and variables like that into account when using past matches as statistics. Hopefully we'll both win our bets tonight :ok

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Going overs tonight. A natural inclination for both teams to avoid extra time, and Blackpool's last four game in Carling Cup tell a Holloway story: 3-4 (AET) 2-1 4-1 3-4 Hard to call with squad rotation and can't really pretend otherwise, so just a half a point on over 2.5 at 10/11 with Coral. *Being good and no link today* :notworthy :p

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 i think knowing the line ups is key tonight in determining the number of goals. Megson has set up the team to not concede this season with a strong defense and 2 sitting midfielders. If the first choice defence is rested however which is likely wednesday will concede a couple and overs would be likely. Otsemobor is an attacking right back, reynolds has not been convincing and is probably out of position at left back and both johnson and beevers can be dodgy. If this is the back four wednesday will concede. Also prutton and semedo arev likely to be rested and if so the midfield will be less solid.

Sheffield Wednesday vs Blackpool Tonights televised game from Hillsborough provides plenty of opportunity for value, imo. Sheffield Wednesday will play a changed lineup from their 2-0 win over Rochdale last weekend. Some players who are looking to be offloaded will be in, plus some fighting for a place in the first team. Our back-four are likely to be Otsemebor, Beevers, R. Johnson and Reynolds. On paper they have all played at a higher level and posses dominance in the air, pace, power and a bit of ability with the football. However believe me when I say from my experiences of last season when you put them together they run around like there's been a bomb scare. Giles Coke, James O'Connor, Daniel Jones are likely to come into midfield and you might even see Liam Palmer playing. That would create a very narrow midfield and make things scrappy. Any wingers playing against us would probably get a bit of space, even with our narrow pitch. Up top, I'd probably expect to see Clinton Morrison and Nathan Modest. What you'll get from that squad is plenty of desire but in reality there are big flaws in the mechanics of the team and technically, there's big holes for Blackpool to exploit. I think we will be particularly susceptible on the break and any balls fired in at pace along the floor, across the box, are going to be an absolute nightmare for us - and own goals will be a worry. That said, there is plenty of engine in that midfield and it wouldn't surprise me if we also get at Blackpool in periods of the match. I'd be grateful for anyone with any knowledge of Blackpools squad, likely line-up etc tonight. I have seen that they are going to be playing the two younger lads they acquired from Liverpool over the summer, both of whom are highly thought of, pacey, explosive players. Taking the above into account and expecting the match to be somewhat end-to-end in parts but probably scrappy and 'keenly contested' in the majority.
Thanks for this post:ok Blackpool @ 2.70 (Pinnacle) Taking a small position in Blackpool for this game. On paper Sheffield would seem to have the better team but I really doubt their ability to get something from this game. The issue I have with "fallen stars", players who used to play in higher divisions, is usually one of motivation not talent and I dont see Megson being the kind of manager to inspire them to want to win.

Sport Football (England - Cups)
Event Sheff Wed vs Blackpool
Selection Under 3 Goals
Strength 10/10
Date 11/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.60
Reasoning Sheff Wed have played 6 games since the end of last season including one game in the League One. 5 out of 6 games have ended under 2.5 goals and one has ended with exactly 3 goals. On the other hand Blackpool have played 5 games since the end of last season including one game in the championship with 4 out of 5 games ending with under 2.5 goals and one ending with exactly 3 goals. Both teams' league games have ended under 2.5 goals. All things said, I feel this game should end under 2.5 goals. Just for added precaution, I will be backing the Under 3 Goals where my stake will be returned in the event the game ends with exactly 3 goals.
Bet won! :beer 0 goals in the game! :ok

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 well done slizorn apologies to anyone who listened to me i overestimated blackpool i thought sutherland very weak and clarke pitiful in his finishing i would get rid of both sharpish ince was unimpressive the goalie shite basham probably the best player the sub with the funny name shit also:D

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Truly shocking Football and I applaud any neutral who kept going and persevered watching that right until the end. I personally had to go off and watch some youtube clips of the Holland '74 World Cup Team to try to balance my souls footballing feng shui. I felt very hard done by, I predicted that Blackpool would find space to exploit but their forwards couldn't have hit a dartboard from 10 yards away, with a javelin. Also was one booking away from profit! But mustn't moan, that the name of the game. Important game against Bournemouth to prepare for tomorrow..