** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11

Doncaster-Tranmere under 2,5 1,75 gamebookers 5pts Doncaster-Tranmere AH+0,75 1,76 ladbrokes 5pts Doncaster has to many absentees.Martis,Chambers,O'Connor,Woods,Stock,Lockwood and Wilson are already injured and now,since saturday,their best strikers Sharp and Hayter are also out and maybe for a long time,at least Sharp will be.They remaining players are not much better than Tranmere as they have just striker Showunmi rated as doubtful. All in all I don't see any difference in both teams now with Doncaster being without 9 players and most of them belong to the starting XI. GL:ok
GTFO :@

Doncaster - Tranmere: Tranmere (DNB) @ 3.25 (Stan James) 10/10 The odds offered for Tranmere are quite generous, I think. Doncaster is coming off of a disappointing opener to the season. They held a 0-1 lead at Brighton but choked in the end (last 10 minutes or so) and lost 2-1 with a goal deep into injury time. It revealed sloppiness and gaps in defense, I think. The hosts' confidence cannot be too high after such a loss. Reports indicate that Doncaster will be without quite a few regular players for this match. Tranmere managed a 1-0 win at home against Chesterfield and they go into this cup match with a positive frame of mind. Finally, in the last 7 H2H matches Doncaster and Tranmere have played to 6 draws and 1 win for Tranmere. At the beginning of the season in a cup match the odds for Tranmere's win, with complete draw cover, are just too attractive in spite of the difference in League level. Brighton - Gillingham: Draw @ 4.44 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Arguably, Brighton was a bit lucky to get a win at its new home stadium (2-1) against Doncaster in the season opener. They equalised at about the 82' minute and then won the match deep into injury time. Gillingham started the season on the right foot with a home win against Chesterfield so they go into this match with a positve frame of mind. Of note is Gillingham's last 11 away results where they have a 3-7-1 record that indicates a huge propensity for the draw (likely stems from their weakness in offense). Despite the league difference, I don't think the short odds for Brighton are justified and the draw provides a good value bet.
Disappointed about the Gillingham bet....a penalty allowed Brighton to edge the match....:\ The Tranmere bet was a disaster....:$

Accrington Stanley v Scunthorpe: Over 2.5 Goals - Evens @ Coral' date= Ladbrokes,PaddyPower,Stan James. If you remember last season, Stanley were known for their attacking football at the Crown Ground, going overs countless numbers of times at the back end of last season. I expect it to continue, their only friendly at home this season -against Blackburn- went overs. I also remember Stanley's game against Newcastle last season in the Carling Cup finishing 4-3 so they're no pushovers against higher opposition. Scunthorpe manager Alan Knill has come out and said " we will take the game to Accrington" Scunthorpe are also set to be unchanged.
0 - 2 :@

Much like others, fancy Scunthorpe to win at Accrington at 7/5 with the squads expected to play. I know Hull are missing plenty, but Macclesfield are hardly a tough ask and they will want to win after their (unfair) criticism on Friday. Stevenage are a team I went against on Saturday, and I'm back more with Posh. Should be good enough even with a changed squad - they will score enough to get past them. Fancy Shrewsbury at a big price at Derby. Good squad, should go with confidence they can compete and Derby lost to League 2 opposition last two seasons. 5/1 very tempting.
Very pleasing 6.4 points of profit on the night! Shrewsbury and Scunthorpe delivered even if Hull and Peterborough let me down. Go on you Shrews! :D

Wycombe v Colchester - Over 2.5 @ 2.10 - B365 - 3pts This is the first of a double header for these two when they both also meet in the league at the weekend. Wycombe drew 1-1 with Scunthorpe on Saturday and Gary Waddock has already stated how much more quality there is in L1 as opposed to L2. Scunthorpe had 11 shots on target and had they been more clinical they could have won by a comfortable margin. Colchester travelled to much fancied Preston and had a gameplan that worked extremely well. Their defence isn't the best but their counter attacking play was top notch. John Ward said that their major problem last year was scoring goals away from home but they have been working hard over the summer to improve on their goalscoring record. Looking at the stats it looked like an evenly balanced game. Being a cup tie and all, I fancy this to go over the line. Unders are priced up extremely low which is risky as teams go at each other more openly then a League game.
2-2 FT. :ok

Bournemouth Vs. Dagenham & Redbridge - 1.72 (Bet365) Bournemouth have a strong record against Dagenham & Redbridge in the past and can see them using this match as a way to get the fans on side for the coming season after a disappointing start away to Charlton. Also worth noting that Dagenham & Redbridge have never won a League Cup tie. Derby County Vs. Shrewsbury - 1.70 (Bet365) I was impressed with Derby's win over Birmingham at the weekend, especially coming from behind against a freshly relegated side, and I just think the class difference will show here, there are currently 58 league positions between the sides and with the home advantage, this should be a relatively comfortable tie for County. Exeter Vs. Yeovil - 2.20 (Bet365) Perhaps a more risky choice but I feel it's justified. Yeovil were well beaten by a very decent Brentford side at the weekend, and from what I've seen and read, they looked rusty. Exeter, on the other hand, managed to get a point away at Stevenage and could arguably have gotten all three if it were not for a dubiously not given penalty decision. I like the price on the home win. Nottingham Forest Vs. Notts County - 1.61 (Bet365) Should be a feisty contest between the two local rivals, but must fancy Forst to overcome their neighbours. Notts County made a strong start to their season with a away win against Carlisle, although I'd argue that that was more down to Carlisle's performance than County's brilliance. Forest failed to win at home in a match they should have in reality, but despite this there was evidence of McClaren's team beginning to gel. The only problem I can foresee is perhaps the risk of Forest not having Lee Camp in goal due to his international duties, but I'd still feel relatively at ease with his likely replacement Paul Smith. Preston Vs. Crewe - 1.66 (Bet365) Another game where I feel the manager will try to get fans onside by fielding a strong line-up, Phil Brown will know not to let the fans get on his back following a poor display at the weekend. Crewe were well beaten at the weekend by Di Canio's Swindon Town and sit at the foot of the football league. League One's Preston went down 4-2 in the opening game of the season, but the freshly relegated side will surely put that down to being one bad performance. I expect a thoroughly professional performance by the better team and a home win. Good luck to all betting! :ok
Bournemouth :D Derby :@ Exeter :D Forest :@ Preston :D Slight profit on the night, average all in all. Well done to winners! :ok

Cheltenham v MK Dons MK Dons to Qualify @ 4/6 (William Hill) Don't know why MK Dons are priced this highly, playing League Two opposition in Cheltenham. MK Dons have plenty of decent attacking players and had a decent Carling Cup run last year, going out in the third round to Birmingham City (who went on to win it). MK Dons have a lot of the same squad as last year and take this competition seriously - beating a full strength Blackpool in the second round last year. Tempted to take 90 minutes at 5/4 but will play it same with to qualify.
:nana

4/9 shot that you questioned ' date=' doesnt matter what you back you bet to win and make profit and thats what i've done :)[/quote'] I was making you aware that it wouldn't be their first team, that's all. Makes me wonder why I bother. Brilliant. You made a profit, don't spend your £4 all at once.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Don't think he was having a go mate - he was just pointing out that some of the first team would not be playing. Value doesn't mean you think necessarily a team is going to win or not but whether the odds are implying a bigger chance than what you approximate. You wouldn't like it much if someone came and posted the score with a smiley after you gave a tip which absolutely bombed - and there will be a time when that happens. IMO this kind of stuff is immature - we're all on the same side here, right?

Don't think he was having a go mate - he was just pointing out that some of the first team would not be playing. Value doesn't mean you think necessarily a team is going to win or not but whether the odds are implying a bigger chance than what you approximate. You wouldn't like it much if someone came and posted the score with a smiley after you gave a tip which absolutely bombed - and there will be a time when that happens. IMO this kind of stuff is immature - we're all on the same side here, right?
Exactly , At the end of the day anyone can pick a 4/9 shot and win i see his point luckily enough i dodged a few upsets last night , was just pointing out the main thing is profit we're all in it to beat the bookie at the end of the day :clap

Enough of the kindergarten stuff, points have been made, nothing more needs saying. Waiting for the cardiff line up tonight. We're already without several players through injury and call ups so a few youngsters will play some part tonight. Not sure how the oxford team is shaping up? Ex city player capaldi is out, shame...

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 I was thinking of playing over the goal line tonight. Cardiff are missing nine to Internationals which mean's they will be forced to change their full-backs who could be rusty and a few players will be playing in positions they don't usually play in e.g Whittingham in CM. Oxford's boss was disappointed with his side at the weekend and has said he will attack tonight and also on Saturday with a forward line of Deane Smalley, James Constable and new signing Lewis Guy in a three-pronged attack. I'll wait in play for the odds to rise a little, though.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 On board with those who think goals tonight. Oxford have talent to always threaten especially against a depleted Cardiff, while the visitors should still be able to create opportunities even without Miller and Earnshaw. 5/4 on Cardiff looks fair to me rather than value after I got burned by Hull last night, but 5/2 on Oxford isn't big enough to tempt me in. All three results on table. 5/6 both to score at Stan James stands out as value to me.

I was thinking of playing over the goal line tonight. Cardiff are missing nine to Internationals which mean's they will be forced to change their full-backs who could be rusty and a few players will be playing in positions they don't usually play in e.g Whittingham in CM. Oxford's boss was disappointed with his side at the weekend and has said he will attack tonight and also on Saturday with a forward line of Deane Smalley' date=' James Constable and new signing Lewis Guy in a three-pronged attack. I'll wait in play for the odds to rise a little, though.[/quote'] Just to shed some light on the team tht has travelled... Expected line up: Marshall, Quinn, Hudson, Gerrard, Naylor, Taylor, Conway, Whittingham, Taiwo, Gestede and Parkin expected subs: Heaton, Gyepes, Ibby farrah, Jon Meades, Nat Jarvis, Mamadou Diallo, Joe Ralls and Adedeji Oshilala First thing to note is that the back 5 who played, and kept a clean sheet, at west ham are all expected to start. I wouldnt be surprised to see Heaton and Gyepes start, to give them a run out and they would be strong replacements. Taylor looks set to move forward into midfield and Paul Quinn returns to the side, probably playing on the right of defence. I dont agree that players will be out of position - eg Whittingham is more than confortable playing on either wing or in centre midfield and no-one else looks set to play in an uncomfortable or unusual position. Taiwo is one of Dave Jones "why did he sign him" men, still with us, but should be decent enough for this game. Gestede has promise to him but looks raw, difficult to predict how he will fair. Parkin has another day release from the zoo and will cause trouble up front, perhaps without threatening goal himself. All in all, its not too bad a side that we look to be fielding (given that the above is accurate). I think we'll be fairly solid defensively and aware of Oxford's potential. Not enirely sure where our goals will come from, with Whitts the only one with proven scoring record. I'm not overly convinced that the 8 missing players (Rob Earnshaw and Darcy Blake (Wales), Kenny Miller, Kevin McNaughton and Don Cowie (Scotland), Joe Mason (Republic of Ireland), Aron Gunnarsson (Iceland) and Dekel Keinan (Israel)) will be as detrimental as what it could be in 6 months, say, as most are still learning each others names. Biggest problem for us will be if we go a goal down - our bench will be mainly filled by youth and academy players. Farrah, Meades and Jarvis have potential but are only here because others arent. The final 3 players are academyplayes and are likely to be bench warmers at best. Tbh, I'd be more inclined to go with unders here but I'm not betting with this cup - only the 2 managers really know how important this match is and I'm not parting with my money on a possibilty.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 cardiff are starting with Farrah and Evans from the youth set up, plus heaton in goals which means 4 changes to the back 4 including the inexperience of evans. whitts is on the bench, so I'd expect oxford to increase their chances, but if cardiff take th led we now have enough strength on the bench to keep hold of the lead...

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Is that correct? 1-1 30' and 1-1 ft... after 1-3 in extra time! I'm f hate cardiff, is second time when I lose on them on cup, I won't play them ever again!

Bet Confirmation - DT47054886F Time of bet: 10/08/2011 20:18:15 Print
Selections
No. Selections Event Event Date E/W Terms Odds Result
1 Hungary Hungary v Iceland (Fulltime Result) 10/08/2011 None 1.83 Won
2 Northern Ireland Only Northern Ireland v Faroe Islands (Teams to Score) 10/08/2011 None 1.66 Won
3 Over 2.5 Oxford Utd v Cardiff (Total Goals) 10/08/2011 None 1.85 Lost
4 Over 2.5 Austria v Slovakia (Total Goals) 10/08/2011 None 2.00 Won
5 Turkey -1.5 Turkey v Estonia (Asian Handicap) 10/08/2011 None 1.775 Won
6 No Goal (either team not to score) San Marino v Romania (Goal / No Goal) 10/08/2011 None 1.44 Won
7 Over 2.5 AEK Athens v AEL Limassol (Total Goals) 10/08/2011 None 2.05 Won
8 Portugal Portugal v Luxembourg (Full Time Result) 10/08/2011 None 1.05 Won
9 Under 2.5 France v Chile (Total Goals) 10/08/2011 None 1.61 Won
10 South Africa South Africa v Burkina Faso (Fulltime Result) 10/08/2011 None 1.61 Won
Multiples
Bet Type No of Bets Unit Stake Stake To Win Returns
10 Folds 1 15.00 15.00 2,427.16 0.00
Total Stake: 15.00 Total Returns: 0.00
and to have a complete day: 4'th league team, not to score, they scored in 79' at 0-4... ft 1-4
Bet Confirmation - GT16963526FI - Flash Time of bet: 10/08/2011 19:12:09 Print
Selections
1 Northern Ireland Only Northern Ireland v Faroe Islands (Teams to Score) 10/08/2011 None 1.66 Won
2 Hungary Hungary v Iceland (Full Time Result) 10/08/2011 None 1.61 Won
3 No Goal (either team not to score) San Marino v Romania (Goal / No Goal) 10/08/2011 None 1.44 Won
4 Over 2.5 AEK Athens v AEL Limassol (Total Goals) 10/08/2011 None 2.05 Won
5 No KSC Harte v FC Fredericia (Both Teams to Score) 10/08/2011 None 2.10 Lost
Multiples
Bet Type No of Bets Unit Stake Stake To Win Returns
5 Folds 1 93.44 93.44 1,470.90 0.00
thanks to portugal at the end!
Bet Confirmation - HT69062909F Time of bet: 10/08/2011 23:11:30 Print
Selections
1 (Current Score 3-0) Portugal -1.5 Portugal v Luxembourg (Alternative Asian Handicap) 10/08/2011 None 2.375 Won
Stake: 326.00 To Win: 448.25 Returns: 774.25
Total Stake: 326.00 Total Returns: 774.25
yesterday I lost a bet of 400 euro on petersbourg 2-2... I tooked 2 ft... no more bets in cup is the solution! GL ALL

Sport Football (England - Cups)
Event Sheff Wed vs Blackpool
Selection Under 3 Goals
Strength 10/10
Date 11/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.60
Reasoning Sheff Wed have played 6 games since the end of last season including one game in the League One. 5 out of 6 games have ended under 2.5 goals and one has ended with exactly 3 goals. On the other hand Blackpool have played 5 games since the end of last season including one game in the championship with 4 out of 5 games ending with under 2.5 goals and one ending with exactly 3 goals. Both teams' league games have ended under 2.5 goals. All things said, I feel this game should end under 2.5 goals. Just for added precaution, I will be backing the Under 3 Goals where my stake will be returned in the event the game ends with exactly 3 goals.

Re: England: Carling Cup Aug 9-11 Sheffield Wednesday vs Blackpool Tonights televised game from Hillsborough provides plenty of opportunity for value, imo. Sheffield Wednesday will play a changed lineup from their 2-0 win over Rochdale last weekend. Some players who are looking to be offloaded will be in, plus some fighting for a place in the first team. Our back-four are likely to be Otsemebor, Beevers, R. Johnson and Reynolds. On paper they have all played at a higher level and posses dominance in the air, pace, power and a bit of ability with the football. However believe me when I say from my experiences of last season when you put them together they run around like there's been a bomb scare. Giles Coke, James O'Connor, Daniel Jones are likely to come into midfield and you might even see Liam Palmer playing. That would create a very narrow midfield and make things scrappy. Any wingers playing against us would probably get a bit of space, even with our narrow pitch. Up top, I'd probably expect to see Clinton Morrison and Nathan Modest. What you'll get from that squad is plenty of desire but in reality there are big flaws in the mechanics of the team and technically, there's big holes for Blackpool to exploit. I think we will be particularly susceptible on the break and any balls fired in at pace along the floor, across the box, are going to be an absolute nightmare for us - and own goals will be a worry. That said, there is plenty of engine in that midfield and it wouldn't surprise me if we also get at Blackpool in periods of the match. I'd be grateful for anyone with any knowledge of Blackpools squad, likely line-up etc tonight. I have seen that they are going to be playing the two younger lads they acquired from Liverpool over the summer, both of whom are highly thought of, pacey, explosive players. Taking the above into account and expecting the match to be somewhat end-to-end in parts but probably scrappy and 'keenly contested' in the majority. My selections for this match are going to consist of the following (all with William Hill); Anytime own goal @ 8.00 (1pt) Over 45 Booking points* @ 4.20 (2pts) Match Action 71-80 Points** @ 4.75 (1pt) Match Action 81-90 Points** @ 6.00 (1pt) Gerado Bruna to score anytime @ 4.50 (2pts) Thomas Ince to score anytime @ 5.00 (2pts) Reda Johnson to score anytime @ 13.00 (1pt) * Points are 10 for a Yellow and 25 for a Red. ** Points are 10 for a Goal, Red card, Penalty. 3 for a Yellow card or a Corner. As usual, 10pts staked on the match in total so that I can calculate my level stakes profit/loss over the season. Hope this helps.

Event Sheff Wed vs Blackpool
Selection Under 3 Goals
Strength 10/10
Date 11/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.60
Reasoning Sheff Wed have played 6 games since the end of last season including one game in the League One. 5 out of 6 games have ended under 2.5 goals and one has ended with exactly 3 goals. On the other hand Blackpool have played 5 games since the end of last season including one game in the championship with 4 out of 5 games ending with under 2.5 goals and one ending with exactly 3 goals. Both teams' league games have ended under 2.5 goals. All things said, I feel this game should end under 2.5 goals. Just for added precaution, I will be backing the Under 3 Goals where my stake will be returned in the event the game ends with exactly 3 goals.
Seeing as tonights match will be mainly made up of players who won't have played the league games, do you think that statistic carries much importance? Also, a cup-game decided on the night in which neither team will want extra time is a completely different animal to friendlies and cagey, opening day league games?

Event Sheff Wed v Blackpool
Selection Blackpool
Strength 10/10
Date 11/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Unibet @ 2.55
Reasoning Blackpool are a good side with their performance in the premier league i think they have what it takes to overcome the home team this time around bcos for the past 5 years now the home team have been dominating most of their meeting with blackpool but today game will be total different with what blackpool played against the away team hull city i think they will do the same in this game