** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series

kevshat

After their pounding by England in The Ashes over Xmas, Australia prepare for their first test series since then with 2 T20 matches and a 5 match ODI series against Sri Lanka who they face in a three test series next month. The whole tour is being shown on Eurosport for those of us in the UK so there should be plenty of betting opportunities in what could be a competitive series. Schedule:

Sat Aug 6 13:30 GMT | 19:00 local 14:30 BST 1st T20I - Sri Lanka v Australia Pallekele International Cricket Stadium
N/A
Mon Aug 8 13:30 GMT | 19:00 local 14:30 BST 2nd T20I - Sri Lanka v Australia Pallekele International Cricket Stadium
N/A
Wed Aug 10 09:00 GMT | 14:30 local 10:00 BST 1st ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia Pallekele International Cricket Stadium
N/A
Sun Aug 14 09:00 GMT | 14:30 local 10:00 BST 2nd ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium, Sooriyawewa, Hambantota
N/A
Tue Aug 16 09:00 GMT | 14:30 local 10:00 BST 3rd ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia Mahinda Rajapaksa International Cricket Stadium, Sooriyawewa, Hambantota
N/A
Sat Aug 20 09:00 GMT | 14:30 local 10:00 BST 4th ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
N/A
Mon Aug 22 09:00 GMT | 14:30 local 10:00 BST 5th ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia R Premadasa Stadium, Colombo
N/A

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series Going to be unavailable between now and the start of this t20 so getting mine up now. Only one to begin with: - 4pts Sixes Matchbet: Australia @ 4/5 [boyles] It's been said time and time before on this forum that Sri Lanka and sixes don't really go together in the same sentence. At the World Cup, despite getting to the Final, they hit less sixes than most other teams and their main players at the IPL also didn't clear the ropes with regular frequency. Australia on the other hand are completely different. Looking at the squad that theyve brought to Sri Lanka for these t20's then one would assume that this bet will be fairly comfortable. Warner, Watson, Haddin, Marsh, Hussey and White will probably all line up tomorrow and if ONE of those guys comes off then this is pretty much wrapped up, money in the bag, let's go for a pint. If Mahela and Sanga bat out the majority of overs for the Sri Lankans tomorrow, that will again limit the sixes and the absence of Malinga also vastly boosts the Aussies. There's not much assisstance in the Aussie bowling attack for the Sri Lankans. Mitchell Johnson, Brett Lee and James Pattinson will be hard to score off, however the plethora of spinners in the Sri Lankan side should give the Aussies some angle to clear the ropes. The IPL taught me that there are always potential upsets around the corner so not the most aggressive stake, however fairly confident the Aussies will take this.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series 3 for me. Just lost a proper post so will shorten write ups as the toss is soon. 3pts Sri Lanka to win 1st T20 Evs Bet365 Sri Lanka are in their own conditions and have a top notch batting line up. Their bowling attack should be a lot better in the slower conditions too. Australia's batsmen haven't played competitively since the end of May so they could be a bit rusty but the low and slow conditions won't help them or their bowlers. In home conditions Sri Lanka must be the call here. 4pts Under 8.5 6's 5/6 Skybet Tyler's touched on it and I've been a big preacher of it for the last 6 months but Sri Lanka don't hit a lot of 6's in any conditions especially the slow conditions of Sri Lanka and the biggish boundaries. Australia will have to hit a pretty large total to see this bet lose and barring some violence from Watson I don't see it happening. 1pt ew D.Hussey Top Australia Batsman 11/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) One of Australia's side who has played competitive cricket recently is David Hussey as he enjoyed a successful stint at Nottinghamshire earlier in the summer. He fits the bill nicely here as he plays seam well and spin very well. He places the ball well and is good at nudging and nurdling like his brother. He's got the powerful innings or the rebuilding innings in his game and at 11/2 with a few of his team mates potentially being a bit rusty I'll take Hussey here.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series I'm gonna have a quick pop at few different bets on tonights match. 5 pts - Australia to hit more sixes then SL @ 1.90 5 pts - Dave Warner highest bat for Australia @ 4.00 I've never known Sri Lanka to be a big hitting side, they are very methodical and disciplined. Australia have a couple of players who really like to let their arms go, especially Warner. My bet on him being the highest run scorer is obviously quite risky, but if he gets a good start anything is possible.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series

WIN - 4pts Sixes Matchbet: Australia @ 4/5 [boyles]
Six off the final ball brings this one in and brings me in +3.20 to start this series. Probably going to take that bet on quite a few times in the limited-overs matches as today showed there is six-hitting potential all the way down this Australian line-up whereas there's not alot going to come from the home side. It's not every match someone hits a 55-ball hundred in a T20i so unlucky in that respect on the sixes Kev. Nice shout on Warner though Watson. Good work.

Great shouts guys. -3 for me. Australia bowled so much filth it was untrue. I reckon I'd have managed 5 6's from the crap they sent down :eyes.
Sri lankans were sitting on just 1 six going into the 17th over too. Then Dilshan got going :\

I'm gonna have a quick pop at few different bets on tonights match. 5 pts - Australia to hit more sixes then SL @ 1.90 :nana 5 pts - Dave Warner highest bat for Australia @ 4.00 :nana I've never known Sri Lanka to be a big hitting side, they are very methodical and disciplined. Australia have a couple of players who really like to let their arms go, especially Warner. My bet on him being the highest run scorer is obviously quite risky, but if he gets a good start anything is possible.
Good night for me :D

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series Two for me in the second T20i. - 5pts Sixes Matchbet: Australia @ EVS [stanJames] No idea how this price has lengthened. If anything the match two days ago shows how this should've been shortened. Sri Lanka hit 200 runs in 20 overs the other day and they only hit 5 sixes. To make matters worse, all five of them came from one person. They were only on 1 six going into the 17th over and had it not been for the brilliant Dilshan going unbeaten to the end, they may not have got many more. Australia on the other hand hit 6 in their second innings chase where they only amassed 163. However, Watson, Warner, Johnson, O'Keefe and Hastings all managed to clear the ropes. Sri Lanka don't hit maximums as a general rule whereas this Aussie side has potential everywhere. As I said, they hit six last time out and that is with none from Marsh, Hussey, White, Haddin and a sub-par Watson performance. I'll chance my arm they produce again tomorrow at a tasty price. - 3pts Player Performance: Mitchell Johnson 28&Over @ 9/10 [Cricketbetlive] Some may look at this and think I am mad for picking this with some of the tripe he bowled the other day. However, with three very viable methods of scoring, I think this is a decent enough bet. Firstly, this can come in with the ball alone. He will bowl at the beginning of the innings and at the death which is perfect wicket-taking times. Nothing more needs to be said on that matter. What appeals to me though is the fact that he will more than likely get a chance with the bat to boost the numbers up here. A few of Australia's top-order were clearly uncomfortable with the conditions the other night and looked distinctly out of sorts. Perera finished Marsh, White and Haddin and Watson was struggling with Kula early up. If they are to have similar troubles tomorrow, Johnson at number 8 could get enough time to swing his arms and let a few go. He hit 22* off only 16 balls the other day which near enough brings this in alone with the bat. I actually hope (largely for the sake of my stronger bet) that the Aussie top order fires tomorrow and Mitchell doesn't require the willow to see this one over the edge but the batting potential is there for him. Always the unlikely chance of a catch too. If he is next to bowl, he may just find himself at fine leg and latch onto a miscued hook. Overs for me albeit tentatively.

Sport Cricket
Event Sri Lanka vs Australia 2nd T20 ODI
Selection Australia to have most sixes
Strength 10/10
Date 08/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 2.00
Reasoning Cannot see any reason why such odds are being given for Australia to win the most sixes matchbet when they managed to do so against a Sri Lanka side that hit 200 odd runs in their innings. It is going to be hard to replicate the 200 odd runs again and even if they do so, we know that Australia will and should beat them in the sixes matchbet when it comes to it. P.S can't add more to what Tyler has already said..

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series This is more of a cheeky bet for the top batsman for each team. Straightforward reasoning for my picks which is basically the best performers in the last T20 ODI match as well as who I think could and should perform well-ish. Dilshan was very impressive in the 1st T20 ODI and I expect him to perform in a similar manner in this match which is being played at the same stadium. When it comes to Australia though, I know DA Warner was top batsman last time around, but I feel SR Watson also has a very good chance at being the top batsman as well despite being bowled out early last time around by Kulasekara. Wouldn't advice anyone on following, as it is more for an interest sake more than anything. 0.5pts Double: TM Dilshan (Top Sri Lanka Batsman) & DA Warner (Top Australia Batsman) @ 15.00 bet365 0.5pts Double: TM Dilshan (Top Sri Lanka Batsman) & SR Watson (Top Australia Batsman) @ 15.00 bet365

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series 2 for me in this 2nd T20. 4pts Sri Lanka to beat Australia 10/11 William Hill I didn't see another wicket being prepared in Pallekele during the opening T20 so the assumption would be that this match will be played on the same wicket as the first game was played on which means there will be more turn and the ball will keep a lot lower - two conditions which suit Sri Lanka perfectly. Sri Lanka picked 4 spinners in the opening match but didn't need Jeevan Mendis to bowl but I fancy he'll twirl his arm for a few overs this afternoon. Putting it simply Australia as a collective can't play spin. We saw that with Graeme Swann in The Ashes and I saw nothing to suggest on Saturday that they had improved in that area. I'm prepared to accept some of the filth Australia bowled on Saturday was down to rust but I'm not sure 4 overs per bowler will have got that out of their system and even if it has Sri Lanka have Mahela Jayawardene up their sleeve who looked in fantastic form before a pearler of a yorker from Brett Lee got him. In these conditions I just think Sri Lanka are too good. Their spinners can strangle and ultimately kill Australia and so I expect the hosts to be too good once again. 0.5pts ew M.Johnson Top Australia Batsman 25/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Mitchell Johnson looks a big price here if the Australian batting line up fails to play the spin. This wicket won't be the easiest to bat on so someone with Johnson's pin the ears back and swing for the stars style might just be most effective here. He was the 2nd top scorer in the opening match and would've scored a few more had the overs not ran out. Being a left hander the likes of Mendis and Herath will be spinning it on to his pads which should allow him easier scoring opportunities with the slog sweep. Johnson can hold a bat and it won't be long before he's a better batsman than a bowler so at 25/1 I'll have a small dip into this market to see if he can recoup some of the runs he'll undoubtedly concede with the ball, with the bat.

Sport Cricket
Event Sri Lanka vs Australia 2nd T20 ODI
Strength 10/10
Date 08/08/2011
Reasoning Cannot see any reason why such odds are being given for Australia to win the most sixes matchbet when they managed to do so against a Sri Lanka side that hit 200 odd runs in their innings. It is going to be hard to replicate the 200 odd runs again and even if they do so, we know that Australia will and should beat them in the sixes matchbet when it comes to it. P.S can't add more to what Tyler has already said..
Good tip mate,bet won after only 5 overs of Australia's innings

Good tip mate' date='bet won after only 5 overs of Australia's innings[/quote'] Ta mate. Speculative punt on Top batsman not so lucky. Nevertheless 9pts profit on the day! Gratz to Tyler as well! :clap Edit: Hoping Sri Lanka will hold on for the win :hope

Going for one in-play. Australia require a run rate of 9 runs per over. Think this is too much to ask, backing 4pts Sri Lanka @ 2.20 hills
Boy oh boy I am lucky! Two wickets fall in quick succession right after I placed the bet :loon Sri Lanka wins so that takes my Overall Profit to: 13.8pts. Top notch bowling from Mendis!

WIN - 5pts Sixes Matchbet: Australia @ EVS [stanJames] LOSS - 3pts Player Performance: Mitchell Johnson 28&Over @ 9/10 [Cricketbetlive]
So close to being another full house but Mitchell Johnson got 27 points today, one short of the flipping 28 needed. Not all bad though, sixes came in sweetly to leave me +2.00 for the match and +5.20 for the series so far. Played Slizorn and well done Kev for being on SL.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series I literally just lost a fat post on the forthcoming ODI series which pissed me off. One outright. - 8pts Sri Lanka to win the ODI Series @ 4/6 [sportingbet] I think Sri Lanka will be very difficult to beat IN Sri Lanka. We saw in the T20i's that the Australian middle-order struggled hard against spin on these low, slow and turning tracks and to be honest, I don't think the rusty likes of Clarke, Hussey and Ponting will fare much better. Sri Lanka are a good ODI unit and are playing very well under the leadership of their talismanic leadership. Their batting is fully adept to deal with the likes of Lee/Johnson and the average spin options at Australia's disposal and I think over the five-match series they'll be too strong for Australia. Definitely. Now for the 1st ODI: - 4pts Sri Lanka to win the 1st ODI @ 9/10 [bet365] - 4pts Player Performance: Mitchell Johnson 35&Over @ 5/6 [bet365] - 4pts Australia Most Sixes @ EVS [stanJames] Not much to add to what's already been said really. On top of that, I am taking the same bets as to what I did in the 2nd T20i. I've already alluded to the fact that Australia will win the sixes matchbet more often than not and similarly Mitchell Johnson will also clear overs more times than not with three perfectly viable scoring methods. Apologise for the brief write-ups. I had longer ones but I unfortunately lost them. Eplanations on the latter two picks can be found earlier in the thread.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series 2 outrights for me in this ODI series. 6pts Sri Lanka to win ODI Series 4/6 Sportingbet I can't see beyond Sri Lanka for this series in their own conditions. They made the World Cup earlier in the year and now that Upul Tharanga is back at the top of their line up they look very strong with the bat and with Malinga returning at some point in this series they look very strong with the ball too. Australia have two issues here. Clarke, Ponting and Michael Hussey haven't played much cricket recently and Australia can't play these Sri Lankan spinners. At some point when the rust has fallen off Australia should be competitive in these ODI's but it's not going to be for a while and boasting a top 6 of Dilshan, Tharanga, Sangakkara, Jayawardene, Chandimal and Mathews I expect Sri Lanka to go well throughout. Sri Lanka won the series when these met in Australia prior to The Ashes and I expect them to repeat that here in their own conditions. 3pts S.Watson Top Australia Series Batsman 11/4 Skybet Shane Watson has been in excellent nick throughout 2011. That started in the Ashes where he hit loads of 50's, continued in the World Cup and then into Bangladesh where he had that bonkers innings and then the IPL. He also went well in the 2nd T20 too where he showed that if the spinners miss their length by a millimetre they'll go out of the park. Australia have a rusty looking middle order lining up here and given the dominance Watson has had on this Australian batting line up for the past 9 months I expect him to be their leading run scorer in this series when the 5 matches have been played.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series Got the makings of a series where bets pick themselves has this and I'd imagine most of us contributing to this thread will hit the same ones most of the time. With that in mind it's no surprise I'm taking the same 2 as Tyler. 4pts Sri Lanka to win 1st ODI 10/11 Bet365 There isn't a lot more to add to what I've wrote in the series write up really. This wicket is being played on for a 3rd time in no time so it's going to turn turn and keep on turning. Australia could name 4 spinners. One is a part timer, one is a shitheap, another is inexperienced but the best of the 4 in Doherty and then there's Clarke who notoriously has a bad back. I can't see the SL batting worrying too much about those 4 so it's SL for me here. 4pts Australia Most 6's Evs Stan James Following on from England where I took England to win this particular market against the Sri Lankans in most of the matches and so they did. I expect Australia to as well. Shane Watson is hitting 6's like he's looting them from a London shop but then there's Haddin, Ponting and both Hussey's as well as Johnson and Lee further down the order who can all clear the ropes. Tharanga returns to the top of the SL order but he's not a genuine 6 hitter neither is Sangakkara or Jayawardene and given that only Dilshan in the top 4 could be called one and even that would be loosely then I think Australia are a good bet here, especially if Watson gets going.

Sport Cricket
Event 1st ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia
Strength 10/10
Date 10/08/2011
Reasoning In the 1st two T20I, this bet has won. In the second T20I, this bet was won thanks to Watson in the first 5 overs of Australia's innings. I will be continuing to back this bet until something deters me. The fact that it is being played at the same stadium again this time around should bring this bet home.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series Not confident enough to back Sri Lanka now, but may do so after I have seen some of the match. One more for me for now. With kev on this one.

Sport Cricket
Event ODI Series - Sri Lanka v Australia
Selection Top Series Australia Batsman - S Watson
Strength 5/10
Date 10/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 3.75
Reasoning Going on this bet with medium-ish stakes. Based on the 1st and 2nd T20I matches, well mainly the second T20I, I was very impressed with the way Watson absolutely batted perfectly hitting a huge score in several overs. If he is able to keep up that kind of a performance over the series versus the spin bowlers of Sri Lanka, he should have no problem being the top batsman for Australia.

Sport Cricket
Event 1st ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia
Strength 10/10
Date 10/08/2011
Reasoning In the 1st two T20I, this bet has won. In the second T20I, this bet was won thanks to Watson in the first 5 overs of Australia's innings. I will be continuing to back this bet until something deters me. The fact that it is being played at the same stadium again this time around should bring this bet home.
Nice and easy! 11 Overs into the match, Watson hits his 4th six to bring this in :beer Up to 23.8pts profit now. Watson out for 69 runs, good amount of runs which hopefully he should build upon for the top batsman bet :ok

LOSS - 4pts Sri Lanka to win the 1st ODI @ 9/10 [bet365] WIN - 4pts Player Performance: Mitchell Johnson 35&Over @ 5/6 [bet365] WIN - 4pts Australia Most Sixes @ EVS [stanJames]
+3.36 for the ODI then as Sri Lanka failed to replicate their t20i success. Mitchell Johnson's six wickets means that that bet sailed in but annoyingly his performance line for the next match will be heavily inflated. +8.56 for the series. Played Sliz.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series Thanks Tyler! Well played yourself on the Mitchell Johnson performance bet. That cruised in. Going with two before the start of the 2nd ODI.

Sport Cricket
Event 2nd ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia
Strength 10/10
Date 14/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Victor Chandler @ 1.83
Reasoning Another identical max bet. Looks like Stan James have learnt their lesson with this bet being offered at 1.72 instead of the previous odds of 2.00. Watson has brought home this bet all by himself in the last two matches played. And I expect him to be a huge contributing factor in order for this bet to win, but Australia have other batsmen who are capable of hitting 6's. All things considered, going to back the bet that has reaped me the most profit again.
Sport Cricket
Event 2nd ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia
Selection Top Australia Runscorer - S Watson
Strength 4/10
Date 14/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 3.75
Reasoning I really shouldn't be backing Watson to be Top Batsman for the 2nd ODI having already backed him for the overall series top Australian batsman but I simply cannot help myself. His explosive start has been demonstrated in the last two matches in which he has scored the most runs in his team. If Sri Lanka do go on to post a similar or another low score, I feel this bet ought to come in with ease even if he gets bowled out early. If he can hang in for about 15-18 overs of the match, I feel this has great potential for coming in given the hard hitter that he is. I am happy to risk some of my profit on Watson delivering the goods again in the 2nd ODI.

Sport Cricket
Event 2nd ODI - Sri Lanka v Australia - Race to 10 runs - SR Watson vs BJ Haddin
Selection SR Watson
Strength 5/10
Date 14/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 1.70
Reasoning Another bet I like the look of. Coming straight to the point, with the explosive power that Watson has to hit boundaries, I feel Watson can easily win this race to 10 runs. Taking that into consideration, hitting one or two 4's will see him ease his way ahead of BJ Haddin. I will be backing this with medium-ish stakes.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series 2 for tomorrow. 4pts Sri Lanka to win 2nd ODI Evs Bet365 Sri Lanka did everything wrong in the opening ODI that they don't normally do. Players were throwing the bat and wickets kept on falling. If we look at the dismissals they pretty much all got themselves out playing attacking shots which just didn't need playing in the circumstances. Usually Sri Lanka's strength is if they lose a few wickets early they rebuild with their wonderful middle order and then go again at the end and you have to think with 4 days to reassess their performance that they will go better here. I don't see Mitchell Johnson taking 6 for again so Australia's spinners will really need to step up to the plate here and that's where my doubt lies with them. Their batting will score runs although they look like they'll have to deal with Malinga in this match which could keep Watson under check a little bit. All in all I still think Sri Lanka are the best side in these conditions and I'll give their batsmen another chance here especially as they've drifted to even money. 1pt ew B.Haddin Top Australia Batsman 13/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) I'm priced in here. For an opener to be this price I have to get on board. Brad Haddin has done nothing in this series yet but with Watson going ballistic at the other end Haddin has all the time in the world to get himself in and then he can start scoring. We've seen in the past that when he does get in he can really score big and sometime soon he's going to need to do that else he won't be in this side much longer with Tim Paine hugely popular in Australia. The longer the innings goes on the harder it will be to score against the spinners so Haddin with have the best of the conditions and at 13/2 he looks a very good each way bet for his batting position alone if anything else.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series Good luck with those guys. One for me tomorrow: - 4pts Sri Lanka No. of Fours: Over 20.5 @ 5/6 [Ladbrokes] This is not a market I usually venture into. Overs on fours is definitely something more Fishy-esque, however I like this market for tomorrows match and I'm willing to have a go. We've mentioned time-and-time again that Sri Lanka hit way more fours than sixes and it's for that reason that I am playing at this market tomorrow. The top four (Tharanga, Dilshan, Mahela and Sanga) are all brilliant stroke players. They will much often caress the ball to the boundary than go ballistic like say a Watson would and go over the top. They were very stuttery in the first ODI, yet still managed to hit 24 fours whilst amassing a meagre 191 runs. The track here at Hombantota is a decent one and with the pace expected to come onto the bat tomorrow from the likes of Lee, Johnson and Hastings, I expect a whole host of fours. Even Kulasekera down at #9 can hit a ball and there is mileage in the middle order from Mathews, Mendis and Lakmal. Overs with a smallish stake here.

Re: Cricket: Sri Lanka vs Australia - T20 internationals & ODI Series Australia to have most sixes @ 1.83 10/10 :nana Top Australia Runscorer - S Watson @ 3.75 4/10 :eyes Race to 10 runs - SR Watson vs BJ Haddin - Watson @ 1.70 5/10 :nana Got too greedy with the Top Runscorer bet, never in doubt with my maximum on Sixes Matchbet and with Haddin getting out in the 2nd over, Watson won the race to 10 runs with ease. Profit for the day: 11.8pts Overall Profit for thread: 35.6pts :beer

Sport Cricket
Event Sri Lanka v Australia 3rd ODI
Selection Most Sixes - Australia
Strength 10/10
Date 16/08/2011
Bookmaker/Price Coral @ 1.80
Reasoning Do not know what else to add to what I have said before. In the 2 T20 matches as well as in the 2 ODI matches and in all 4 of these matches, the most sixes bet has been won by Australia. Australia has players such as Watson, Clarke, Ponting and more who are capable of hitting sixes. Happy to be backing this bet with another maximum stake.