** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

England: Championship Aug 5-7

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7 Coventry v Leicester 7 new signings start for Leicester today and that puts me off. It's difficult for any team to start a new season with that many new players, however good they are. Coventry have a very average squad and will struggle this season but they've got some good solid Championship level players in midfield who will fight hard. I'm also not sure Sven is the sort of manager who can get his troops rallied up for an opening game away to Coventry. Add to that Coventry havn't lost on the opening day of the season and I'm happy to take the 4/5 on Coventry +1 handicap. Coventry +1 (MH) @ 4/5 - 2.5pts

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7

I actually rate those 'meaningless' stats he brought up as the most useful info in the whole thread. I'd better rely on stats in the first round rather than building my prediction on pre season performance' date=' news, expectations.[/quote'] Guess you must of made a handsome profit on Blackpool yesterday then?

Coventry v Leicester 7 new signings start for Leicester today and that puts me off. It's difficult for any team to start a new season with that many new players, however good they are. Coventry have a very average squad and will struggle this season but they've got some good solid Championship level players in midfield who will fight hard. I'm also not sure Sven is the sort of manager who can get his troops rallied up for an opening game away to Coventry. Add to that Coventry havn't lost on the opening day of the season and I'm happy to take the 4/5 on Coventry +1 handicap. Coventry +1 (MH) @ 4/5 - 2.5pts
a runs gotta stop sometime. lets hope leicester can hold onto there lead

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7 Brighton vs Doncaster Rovers - Both teams to score @ 5/6 with Coral Agree with the other contributors, today is probably a day for caution. Only taking one bet today... Last season Doncaster could be relied upon to produce goals away from home, mainly down to a dismal defence. O'Driscoll hasn't really addressed this over the summer, but has added extra fire-power in the shape of Chris Brown, Kyle Bennett, Giles Barnes. Holding onto Billy Sharp was another big plus, which strengthens my view Doncaster can score away from home today. It is difficult to imagine a potential centre-half partnership of George Friend and Richard Naylor keeping a clean sheet this afternoon, against the likes of Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins. I think over 2.5 could be worth a shot, as is correct score bet of 2-1, however i'm happy to take my chance with both teams to score.

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7 West Ham v Cardiff 8pts West Ham @ 17/20 VCBet 2pts West Ham @ HT 6/4 Betfred 1.5pts West Ham -1 H'cap @ 21/10 Bet365 Both teams turn up with new managers for the start of a new season, I fancy the hosts will have a better season then Cardiff and expect them to bounce back under Allardyce, the fans might not enjoy the football but he'll do the job. West Ham still have the likes of Green, Parker and Cole on their books and whilst they may be on their way, they are still West Ham United players and therefore could play in tomorrow's game. Allardyce has said himself that he will be fielding his strongest team available and has stated that the only player out is Faubert. I think in Kevin Nolan he has found the perfect player to take them back up and Matty Taylor will be more then useful in this league. Cardiff missed a golden chance last season to go up and they could well struggle to deliver a challenge this season under Malky Mackay, there strike force of last season has gone and replaced with Kenny Miller and Robert Earnshaw, they're decent enough but will need to be convinced during the season that its better than what they had. For me, Cardiff will need to add more before the window's out to think about promotion, this league looks really tough as always and the three that come down from the Premiership look fairly strong. It's a tough start for Cardiff to come down here and pick something up and I don't see them doing it.

Nottingham Forest - Barnsley: Barnsley +0.5 (AH) @ 2.27 (10Bet) 10/10 The odds for the home win are ujustifiably short, I think. Yes, the hosts were in the playoffs for promotion and the guests ended the season in 17th place, but both teams haven't strengthened their rosters and both have new coaches. Last season, the match ended in a 2-2 draw (Barnsley went up 0-2!). At home, Nottingham dropped points in about 45% of its matches (13-8-2). Barnsley's away record, last season, was weak (3-8-12) but it did manage to get at least a point in 48% of the matches. In the end, there is enough here to make Nottingham's win very short and therefore the value is with Barnsley.
OKAY.....!:clap

Peterborough V Crystal Palace Difficult to see either side comming away with 3 points here, Palace's away record was woeful last term but the Posh will find it hard to replicate last years home form in the blood bath that is the Championship. Mackail-Smith is indeed a loss for Posh but I still expect them to play their brand of attacking football and Fergie Junior has bought in some young talent from Fergie Senior both loan and permanent. I expect Peterborough to have the lion share of the possesion here with Palace sitting back and countering with their superior quality. I don't expect either defence to keep a clean sheet, Peterborough being fairly vunerable at the back and Palace with a patchwork back 4 with Clyne and Moxey injured and suspended respectively. Probable Palace lineup: Speroni, Ramage, Davies, McCarthy, Parr, Wright, Dikgacoi, Scannell, Ambrose, Murray, Zaha If I had to bet on this game: Both teams to score @ 7/10 (Victor Chandler) :cigar:cigar:cigar Glenn Murray anytime goalscorer @ 9/4 (Ladbrokes) :@:@:@ Feeling saucy: Sean Scannell anytime goalscorer @ 7/2 (Betfair) :cigar:cigar:cigar Correct score: 1-1 @ 13/2 (Betfair) :@:@:@ Correct score: 2-2 @ 15/1 (Betfair) :@:@:@
Fair play to Peterborough, Palace sat back way too much after taking the lead - fatal. Neither side keeping a clean sheet as I suspected and the Posh weigh in with 63% of the possesion. We went on the offensive after going behind but couldn't quite make that 2-2 scoreline. Scannell on the scoresheet @ 7/2, expect good things from him this year. Will try and produce some bets for Burnley at home next week.

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7 West Ham v Cardiff @ 1.75 Sportsbet Nolan First Goalscorer @ 7.50 Sportsbet I really fancy West Ham in this fixture, I understand that it's the opening round of the season and upsets are quite often seen, BUT I beleive the difference in experience and ability will see the Hammers across the line. They had a reasonable squad last season, and have only improved upon that with a couple of decent signings. None more important so then Kevin Nolan, he played out of his skin for Newcastle last season and quite often found himself on the scoresheet. I simply can't understand why Newcastle would let him leave? That club consistently confuses the hell out of me. Anyways, I'm backing West Ham to produce the goods and probably bounce straight back up to the Premier League. I'll also have a small punt on Nolan to grab the first goal. GL All.

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7 West Ham v Cardiff - West Ham @ 1.9 with Betfair I wasn't going to get involved with this game, but the price on the home side has drifted somewhat this morning and now looks very backable. With Parker, Green, and Cole still at the club (for the moment at least), their squad actually looks stronger than last season with the additions of Nolan, Taylor, Faye, and O'Brien. All 4 of those new signings have played under Allardyce before, which suggests they won't need much time to bed into his style of play. Cardiff have had a summer of upheaval, with a new manager and numerous comings and goings in the playing squad. Earnshaw and Miller look like a good combination at this level, but the overall impression is that the team has been weakened by the departures. I think they could struggle to get a grip on the game in the middle of the park today and find themselves under a lot of pressure as a result. At around the 10/11 mark, the Hammers look decent value here.

Yeah really surprised to see this price rise this morning' date=' albeit just a little bit. Have posted my thoughts already, bet of the day for me.[/quote'] I was quite confident in backing West Ham, and then I read your post and your thoughts certainly helped seal the deal for me. C'mon the Hammers! :hope

West Ham United: Green, O'Brien, Ilunga, Reid, Tomkins, Noble, Parker, Nolan, Sears, Taylor, Piquionne Subs: Boffin, Faye, Collison, Barrera and Cole

Cardiff City: Marshall, McNaughton, Taylor, Hudson, Gerrard, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, Cowie, Conway, Miller, Earnshaw Subs: Heaton, Quinn, Parkin, Mason, Gestede

West Ham United: Green' date= O'Brien, Ilunga, Reid, Tomkins, Noble, Parker, Nolan, Sears, Taylor, Piquionne

Subs: Boffin, Faye, Collison, Barrera and Cole

Cardiff City: Marshall, McNaughton, Taylor, Hudson, Gerrard, Whittingham, Gunnarsson, Cowie, Conway, Miller, Earnshaw

Subs: Heaton, Quinn, Parkin, Mason, Gestede

Very strong side for the Hammers. Looking forward to seeing the likes of Taylor, Nolan and Parker linking up.

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7 also a bit surprised. Opening day can spring surprises but West Ham are essentially a premiership side and we're in transition. What may stop a home win is our approach. There is uncertainty over how we will shape our side - 442 looks likelyto be our general formation but for games like this we may turn out a 451 line up with miller up front alone. Our defence looks stable, with Marshall appearingto be favoured over Heaton, between the sticks. McNaughton, Hudson, Gerrard and Taylor at the back seems reasonable, but perhaps lacking a little pace? A 4 man midfield should see Cowie and Gunarson in CM with Whittingham and Conway providing width for Earnie and Miller. However, there is a possiblity that Joe Mason may play a free role from midfield, in place of Earnie. Either way, I'm expecting us to attempt to block the hammers out and attack down the wings on the counter. My concern for us, is that if its not happening, we dont have a great deal on the bench as yet. The hammers, however, have more resources having not sold on everyone they have expected to yet (fingers crossed some may not put 100% in so as not to get injured... :unsure) Likely to be a low scoring game but with the usual unexpected results, I'm still not taking the odds on offer. Expected result: HT 0-0 FT 1-0

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7 I actually think this may be high scoring and I'm tempted by the Overs. Both sides got goals all over the pitch but not the greatest defences. Allardyce has already said he wants to see lots of goals this season and Cardiff naturally will attack. Over 2.5 goals @ 4/5 - 2.5pts (Stanjames)

Re: England: Championship Aug 5-7 Frustrating game in the end. I thought West Ham showed some real quality in their passing at times, but their finishing and, at times, the final ball were poor. Ilunga still looks a bit of a liability. Cardiff were outplayed for long spells, but they defended well and Marshall was excellent. As long as the game stayed 0-0 they were always likely to nick one with Miller and Earnshaw up front, and so it proved. Overall, West Ham had enough chances to win it, but probably didn't deserve to. Cardiff look like they'll be tough to beat, but it'll be interesting to see how they do with more of the play, as their midfield didn't really see enough of the ball today.

I actually think this may be high scoring and I'm tempted by the Overs. Both sides got goals all over the pitch but not the greatest defences. Allardyce has already said he wants to see lots of goals this season and Cardiff naturally will attack. Over 2.5 goals @ 4/5 - 2.5pts (Stanjames)
Not the greatest start to the Championship :\ Both teams had chances but Cardiff were more solid at the back than I expected. Some interesting games this weekend though.

Brighton vs Doncaster Rovers - Both teams to score @ 5/6 with Coral Agree with the other contributors, today is probably a day for caution. Only taking one bet today... Last season Doncaster could be relied upon to produce goals away from home, mainly down to a dismal defence. O'Driscoll hasn't really addressed this over the summer, but has added extra fire-power in the shape of Chris Brown, Kyle Bennett, Giles Barnes. Holding onto Billy Sharp was another big plus, which strengthens my view Doncaster can score away from home today. It is difficult to imagine a potential centre-half partnership of George Friend and Richard Naylor keeping a clean sheet this afternoon, against the likes of Mackail-Smith and Will Hoskins. I think over 2.5 could be worth a shot, as is correct score bet of 2-1, however i'm happy to take my chance with both teams to score.
:cigar Pretty pleased with the way I read the game, played out exactly as I expected. Little disappointed not to have tried my luck with the correct score but cannot argue with a winner. Also, probably a wise decision to swerve match result betting with a number of surprising results on the opening day, might be something to consider for the opening month or so. Decent start, onwards and upwards! :cheers