** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July

Saturday 30 July 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gifSt Johnstone v Rangers (12:00 BST) 8 4.5 1.53 100.08 %
maximize.gifInverness Caledonian Thistle v Hibernian (15:00 BST) 2.4 3.45 3.2 101.90 %
maximize.gifKilmarnock v Motherwell (15:00 BST) 2.54 3.5 3.1 100.20 %
maximize.gifSt Mirren v Aberdeen (15:00 BST) 2.75 3.4 2.67 103.23 %
Sunday 31 July 2011HomeDrawAwayBPP
maximize.gifHearts v Dundee United (15:00 BST) 2.07 3.55 4 101.48 %

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July After running last seasons and the opening day results through my Pullien calculator I've found the following value bets; Inverness to bt Hibernian @ 2.28 (Betfair) - My Odds 1.69 Kilmarnock to bt Motherwell @ 2.32 (Betfair) - My Odds 2.17 St Mirren to bt Aberdeen @ 2.64 (Betfair) - My Odds 2.44 As you can see from the above the Killy and St Mirren games only represent slight value (if any at the mo when you take comision into account) but there is a huge difference in terms of the ICT game. Has anybody else compiled there own prices and come up with similar results to mine or can somebody offer an insight as to why they are priced so highly (In my opinion) For info- My prices are based on WLD from last season and the opening day

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July After some further research it highlights that ICT lost 10 players in summer and boss Terry Butcher claimed his side where not ready for the opening game. With that in mind that potential wager is scrapped and they'll go on the swerve list for a few weeks.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Kilmarnock are amongst the favourites to be relegated this year so I wouldn't get too excited about that either. Certainly don't appear to be the team they were last year. Hibs decline looks terminal so thanks for pointing out the Caley problems or that would have been a max bet. 6/4 looks about right for St mirren.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Probably worth opposing Hibs this weekend. They were totally outplayed tonight in Blackpool, and should be flying straight back to Scotland after the game. Unlikely they'll be able to put too much preperation into Saturday's fixture, as I'd expect Wednesday would mostly be a day of rest.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July If I knew more about the SPL, I'd imagine opposing Rangers this weekend is a must. McCoist clearly doesn't have a clue, and this looks to be one of those situations were it's gonna get worse before it gets better. Saints are also a fairly solid side, I get the impression? Like I say, not an SPL regular, but I'll be having a look at this one.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July

Probably worth opposing Hibs this weekend. They were totally outplayed tonight in Blackpool' date=' and should be flying straight back to Scotland after the game. Unlikely they'll be able to put too much preperation into Saturday's fixture, as I'd expect Wednesday would mostly be a day of rest.[/quote'] Hibs players have the day off today, they'll be back in training on Thursday and Friday. Although they were totally outplayed by Blackpool, they fielded a second XI, no Garry O'Connor, Matt Thornhill, Ivan Sproule, Victor Palsson and David Wotherspoon, and there were others. They've also just signed Junior Agogo. I'd be surprised, however, if he started at the Caledonian Stadium. Hibs have never won at Inverness and have only drawn once. Normally I'd be all over Caley but they have a totally different side to last year and were far from impressive against Motherwell. Hibs will probably look to counter attack and use Sproule's pace - their defence actually seemed okay at home to Celtic. Unders, therefore, has to be a big consideration.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Looks like I've just talked myself into this one ... Inverness CT v Hibernian - Under 2.25 goals @ 2.03 with Pinnacle 3pts It's been pretty well-documented how poor Hibs' record up in Inverness has been, so I won't bore you with all the stats. Had this Inverness team appeared a bit stronger at Motherwell on Saturday, I'd have bitten on the -0.25 line, but I'm not totally convinced they'll get the job done this weekend. The team has changed considerably from last year, with Eric Odhiambo and Adam Rooney, two key players, having left the club. I think that negates their attacking instincts somewhat. They lack a real goalscorer - I don't think Richie Foran or Gregory Tade can compensate for Rooney's goals - and their defence certainly looks weaker without Grant Munro or Chris Hogg. I feel they'll find it hard to break down Hibs. Colin Calderwood has them set up in a 4-5-1 formation. They appear extremely organised and have the guise of a team that could be involved in many 0-0s this season. Sean O'Hanlon, their new defender, will be out with a broken toe, so David Stephens will come into the side. He's a good player, although a bit less comanding than O'Hanlon. It's up top where their options are limited. Junior Agogo has signed, but whether he's match fit is a different issue. Garry O'Connor will be a very good signing for Hibs but they need to get more service to him, and the 4-5-1 fomation doesn't really allow that. I can see them battening down the hatches and looking to hit ICT on the break. Of course, an early goal could upset the applecart here, but I think neither will be that committal early on. At above evens, I like the look of this unders line, although the stake should be kept suitably modest considering this is only our second competitive viewing of each side.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Might take Rangers this weekend. Can they go 3 games without a win ? Will put McCoist under a bit of pressure and his players will know that. They came alive in the 2nd half against Hearts and did create enough chances to win the game. Against Malmo they had a fair few chances to but just couldn't put the ball in the net. This could be a case of getting worse before it gets better for Ally but with the pressure already on him I imagine there will be no chances taken against St. Johnstone

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Kilmarnock v Motherwell: Motherwell (0AH) @ 2.10 with Pinnacle (3/10) Despite last week's deserved draw at Tannadice, I still feel Killie are in for a long, hard season. Credit where it's due for that result, but I think they benefited from the fortune of circumstance, given United's tiring European exploits a few days earlier. Boss Kenny Shiels is still tinkering in the transfer market and admitted yesterday that he's a long way from knowing his first XI. He's also committed to silky footballl; fast, flowing, one-touch stuff that lit up Rugby Park last season. However, that was a much more achievable goal with the likes of Bryson, Taouil and Eremenko in the side. I don't want to write them off completely - because I admit their new signings are strangers to me, and they might prove to be world beaters - but given the backgrounds of the new men I think they'll struggle to hit the same heights. The fact Shiels wants to play an open, attacking game should play into Motherwell's hands. Chris Humphrey and - in particular - Jamie Murphy (who's attracting scouts from more English clubs by the week) are fast, skillful and clinical, and I can see them putting Killie to the sword. The backline looks impressive and strong in front of goalkeeper Darren Randolph, whose star shines brighter by the week. Hearts v Dundee United: Dundee United (+0.5AH) @ 1.862 with Pinnacle (3/10) Looking here for United to do to Hearts what Killie did to them last weekend. More specifically, to take advantage of European distractions. Hearts have started the season impressively, taking a point at Ibrox then coming away with a score draw in Hungary in their first Europa League tie. They're looking strong in all departments and as the season goes on, I expect them to pull away from all but the Old Firm. But this is early days as far as the season's concerned, and with the Paksi return leg coming up combined with their excursions over the last few days, there could be an element of physical and mental fatigue. When the first XI are out, United are probably as strong as Hearts. It's when you look at the bench and squad that you begin to doubt them. But they have no injury worries and will have enjoyed a full week's preparation. Up front, in particular, Goodwillie and Russell won't have to be asked twice to take advantage of any tired legs, while Daly can mix it with Hearts' sturdy central defenders. Midfield will be keenly contested, and while Hearts have a little more guile and creative spark, United have always proven themselves expert in subduing their opponents' strengths. If both sides play well, this could be a cracker, but I can't see United going home empty-handed. Good luck all who play this weekend! :ok

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July I feel the bet of the weekend has to Rangers at minus 1 in the handicap betting. Rangers have played poorly in their last 2 matches but I cant see anything other than a big win for Rangers here. St Johnstone were very poor against Aberdeen and were lucky not to lose. Rangers are also alot better than Abderdeen. With this bet being over evens I'm jumping on it as I feel its easy money. My Bets for this game are Rangers (-1) @6/4 Rangers to win to nil @7/5 Whittaker to score in a Rangers win @4/1 Lets hope for a profitable game.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Three more for me in the SPL this weekend ... St Mirren v Aberdeen - St Mirren 0AH @ 1.952 with Pinnacle 5pts I don't think it's been said too often that St Mirren are a more attractive side than Aberdeen, but that's my perception this season. Danny Lennon told his Buddies squad at the start of the season that he wants his team to be more easy-on-the-eye and play nice football, and personally I liked what I saw last Monday when they really should have beaten Dunfermline. I like the 4-2-3-1 formation with the attacking quad of Paul McGowan, Nigel Hasselbaink, Gary Teale and Steven Thompson. It's a creative front four and I can see them getting goals. It's their first home game of the season against an Aberdeen side I'd best describe as stuffy. Craig Brown needs to stop the rot at Pittodrie and has attempted to do so by bringing in strength and graft rather than skill. Yaoul Mawene and Isaac Osbourne are testament to this theory. I do think the Dons will be backable at times this season but they lack a goalscorer and someone who is going to split teams open. Rob Milsom seems to get lost in matches and Fraser Fyvie, however talented, is too young to be relied upon. Their record at this venue is poor and there seems to be a feel-good factor around St Mirren Park at present. All things considered, I feel they are worth playing with full draw cover. Hearts v Dundee Utd - Dundee Utd +0.5AH @ 1.862 with Pinnacle 5pts Fully agree with Lennox here and hard to add anything more to the good write-up he has done. Hearts are without Andy Webster, Mehdi Taouil and the suspended Jamie Hamill, while Ryan Stevenson is a major doubt. Normally that wouldn't be a big issue but I think Jim Jefferies will want to rotate his squad after the European game against Paksi on Thursday. Dundee Utd are no mugs and still have a solid side with a bit of verve and pace. Unlike some teams in this league, they won't be intimidated by Hearts' physicality and should be worth a point considering they are the fresher side. St Johnstone v Rangers - Rangers -1AH @ 2.04 with Pinnacle 4pts I'm sure there will be plenty of people opposing Ally McCoist's men after a draw at home to Hearts and a defeat to Malmo, but I think they'll be far too strong for St Johnstone. Rangers still have a lot of quality in the side with guys like Nikica Jelavic, Steven Naismith and Steven Davis, and they are players capable of really hurting St Johnstone. Dorin Goian is also due to make his debut with David Weir injured, and that should add a little more pace to the defence. St Johnstone are another very stuffy, well-drilled side. Derek McInnes has made them tough to beat but they aren't a side who you feel can come back from a goal down against the Old Firm. They will be far more effective, I think, against your Hibs and Kilmarnocks this season. Goals has been an issue for them for a wee while now and although Cillian Sheridan and Fran Sandaza have been added to the squad, I reckon it'll take a little while for them to bed in. The pressure is on McCoist and Rangers to get a win and I feel they've been given a good chance to do so here.

Should we be careful here of Rangers being in the middle of a European cup tie ? Is there any chance of players being rested at the weekend against St. Johnstone ?
No chance of Rangers resting players. Firstly, they don't have a big enough squad to leave anyone out. Secondly, they're already 2 points behind Celtic and in a league that's often decided by no more than 5/6 points, they won't take any chances.

No chance of Rangers resting players. Firstly, they don't have a big enough squad to leave anyone out. Secondly, they're already 2 points behind Celtic and in a league that's often decided by no more than 5/6 points, they won't take any chances.
Thats good news so. I just thought he might rest players because if they dont get the result in Sweden their gone, it's very early days in the season so they can make points back up

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Yeah, initially, I thought this may be a great opportunity to oppose Rangers, but I get the feeling they may be okay tomorrow. Perhaps playing away from Ibrox may help them. At the same time, I still feel McCoist has a lot to prove, so I'll be swerving it.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July I also think that playing away from Ibrox may help the team. Steven Davis was a great young player coming through at Villa (im a Villa fan) which we let go against alot of villa fans wishes. Steven Naismith puts himself into goal-scoring positions all the time against Hearts and im impressed with his attitude. He missed a few chances and, as we know, it can be a better option to hold your run rather that get in there to miss another chance. This guy has bottle to put himself at the mercy of 60000 glaswegens to get on the end of a chance, even if it does go wide. Rangers to win by a few goals is my call as I feel this sort of fixture is exactly what ally McCoist's men need at this time, an away game against weaker rivals. St johnstone are no mugs and will attempt to play on the counter but the class will eventually tell. My bets are 10pts rangers Draw ht/rangers full time 4pts 4pts Naismith anytime scorer 1pt Naismith first goalscorer Good luck all:hope

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Inverness - Hibernian: Draw @ 3.35 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Both teams started the season with loses. Inverness got clobbered at Motherwell (3-0) and Hibernian easily lost to Celtic (0-2). Both teams don't appaear to have found any footing going into the season and neither seems to be creative and effective in offense. It's a bit early to be able to separate these teams. I think we'll see a very tight match where the chances of a 0-0 or 1-1 stalemate are increased. Kilmarnock - Motherwell: Draw @ 3.40 (Pinnacle) 10/10 These teams finished the 2010-2011 season in 5th and 6th place with 49 and 46 points respectively. Kilmarnock got a good draw at Dundee Utd. (1-1) while Motherwell convincingly defeated Inverness (3-0). The season opener gives the impression that Motherwell is the more ready team and that may be the case. Kilmarnock has had a significant roster change and may still be looking for its footing. This didn't stop them from getting a good draw at Dundee. Furthermore, last season Kilmarnock defeated Motherwell twice (3-1; 0-1). So, I really can't jump at a win for either team and will settle for the draw and the nice odds. St. Mirren - Aberdeen: Draw @ 3.30 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 St. Mirren and Aberdeen both had poor seasons in 2010-2011 finishing in 11th and 9th places respectively. Both teams started the season with draws. St. Mirren played to a draw at Dunfermline (0-0) while Aberdeen played to a draw against St. Johnstone at home (0-0). A lot is being made of St. Mirren's performance at Dunfermline, but I would take it with a grain of salt since Dunfermline doesn't necessarily provide the best yardstick and we are only into the second round. Yes, Aberdeen didn't show anything remarkable against St. Johnstone, but they were able to hold on to the draw after going down to 10 players in the 65th minute. Aberdeen will probably play it tight and try to frustrate the home team and St. Mirren didn't necessarily indicate that they can overcome such tactics in the first match of the season. The draw provides a good percentage bet here, I think. Essentially, I can't separate the pairs at this point of the season to be able to pick a winner and the draw provides a good percentage bet in each match. One draw returns the total stake while two or three draws provides good profit.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July Although I strongly dislike Rangers I can't see anything but an Away win for them today. If they could pick an Away ground to go to today and try and pick up the 3 points then McDermid Park would be very high on there list, it isn't so long ago the home side had Cardboard cutout characters in there stands to make up the numbers :loon. It's a ground where the Rangers fans will basically get three stands and Rangers have a tremendous record there. I can see them starting well here (unlike there first two games) and will try and get that early goal. St Johnstone were lucky to go away from Pittodrie with a point last week and add that to the fact that Rangers will be staring at going three games without a win which will not happen. A definite away win for me and then they hopefully crash out of Europe in midweek!! :p :cheers

Inverness - Hibernian: Draw @ 3.35 (Pinnacle) 10/10 Both teams started the season with loses. Inverness got clobbered at Motherwell (3-0) and Hibernian easily lost to Celtic (0-2). Both teams don't appaear to have found any footing going into the season and neither seems to be creative and effective in offense. It's a bit early to be able to separate these teams. I think we'll see a very tight match where the chances of a 0-0 or 1-1 stalemate are increased. Kilmarnock - Motherwell: Draw @ 3.40 (Pinnacle) 10/10 These teams finished the 2010-2011 season in 5th and 6th place with 49 and 46 points respectively. Kilmarnock got a good draw at Dundee Utd. (1-1) while Motherwell convincingly defeated Inverness (3-0). The season opener gives the impression that Motherwell is the more ready team and that may be the case. Kilmarnock has had a significant roster change and may still be looking for its footing. This didn't stop them from getting a good draw at Dundee. Furthermore, last season Kilmarnock defeated Motherwell twice (3-1; 0-1). So, I really can't jump at a win for either team and will settle for the draw and the nice odds. St. Mirren - Aberdeen: Draw @ 3.30 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 St. Mirren and Aberdeen both had poor seasons in 2010-2011 finishing in 11th and 9th places respectively. Both teams started the season with draws. St. Mirren played to a draw at Dunfermline (0-0) while Aberdeen played to a draw against St. Johnstone at home (0-0). A lot is being made of St. Mirren's performance at Dunfermline, but I would take it with a grain of salt since Dunfermline doesn't necessarily provide the best yardstick and we are only into the second round. Yes, Aberdeen didn't show anything remarkable against St. Johnstone, but they were able to hold on to the draw after going down to 10 players in the 65th minute. Aberdeen will probably play it tight and try to frustrate the home team and St. Mirren didn't necessarily indicate that they can overcome such tactics in the first match of the season. The draw provides a good percentage bet here, I think. Essentially, I can't separate the pairs at this point of the season to be able to pick a winner and the draw provides a good percentage bet in each match. One draw returns the total stake while two or three draws provides good profit.
These are the 3 matches I 'm looking at as well. Agree re St.Mirren-Aberdeen. Both have very low goals per game stats, and Craig Brown is a defensive coach adept at organising teams defensively. A draw, or at least a 1-0 either way, is a value bet. I think Inverness 11/8 (WHill) will beat Hibs though. Latter lost both times at Inverness last year, and are weakened even further from last season. Calderwood is playing an incredibly young team which could easily slip into the relegation zone. They have lost some decent SPL players in the summer (Riordan, Nish, Miller plus Bamba in January) and replaced from English lower leagues. Must still be paying off the stadium. I also fancy Motherwell to win at Kilmarnock. Killie have been equally devastated by transfers out, and the 21/10 (Bet 365) is good value on an away win.

After running last seasons and the opening day results through my Pullien calculator I've found the following value bets; Inverness to bt Hibernian @ 2.28 (Betfair) - My Odds 1.69 Kilmarnock to bt Motherwell @ 2.32 (Betfair) - My Odds 2.17 St Mirren to bt Aberdeen @ 2.64 (Betfair) - My Odds 2.44 As you can see from the above the Killy and St Mirren games only represent slight value (if any at the mo when you take comision into account) but there is a huge difference in terms of the ICT game. Has anybody else compiled there own prices and come up with similar results to mine or can somebody offer an insight as to why they are priced so highly (In my opinion) For info- My prices are based on WLD from last season and the opening day
I'm with you on all 3 games you highlighted. My odds are slightly different, but I also favor home wins in all three games. My fair price for Inverness is much higher than yours (2.20), but odds offered by bookies still represent some value anyway. Kilmarnock fair price by my estimations is 2.13, so we have a match here. And St Mirren I have as 2.28. :ok

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July not much form to go on here,going for a law of averages bet here,3oclock k.o.two of the three games havent mustered a goal between them after the 1st round of games,motherwell will defo score at killy,so ime going for over 1.5 treble 180 wins 290 bet 365.

I feel the bet of the weekend has to Rangers at minus 1 in the handicap betting. Rangers have played poorly in their last 2 matches but I cant see anything other than a big win for Rangers here. St Johnstone were very poor against Aberdeen and were lucky not to lose. Rangers are also alot better than Abderdeen. With this bet being over evens I'm jumping on it as I feel its easy money. My Bets for this game are Rangers (-1) @6/4 Rangers to win to nil @7/5 Whittaker to score in a Rangers win @4/1 Lets hope for a profitable game.
As much I would love to see Rangers dropping points I just cant see it happening today although I imagine it will be a tighter game than -1 handicap bet. If they are fired up and really fighting for Sally then yes, it could come off but Rangers seem to be huffing and puffing a bit just now as its still early in the season. The outright at 8/15 is not a price you would have got last season so its worth a nibble To win to nil....hmmm.....their set up against Malmo was a more positive one that Watty used to have so in this respect St Johnstone could get a sniff at goal at some point in the game. ICT v Hibs - unless you have really strong information or a very good hunch it is worth leaving well alone although it has to be said that Hibs did trouble Celtic slightly last week at points in the game. If they could remain solid at the back Sproule is always a danger when running at defences at that speed.....free kicks, penalties etc. St.Mirren v Aberdeen - again another game which is tight but cant help feeling the Dons' summer signings are slightly better and all week Craig Brown will have been organising their defensive set up even more. Pre season wise Aberdeen have played some tasty opposition while St Mirren have just played local teams. At this early stage in the season fitness is important for grinding out results so in that respect I will be taking the best price I can find on an Aberdeen win which is looking like 9/5 with Hills Good luck all :hope

Re: Weekend > Scotland > SPL Saturday 30th & Sunday 31st July St. Mirren Vs Aberdeen - Under 2.5 - 8/13 William Hills Aberdeen are seriously lacking a cutting edge in the final third. I can see them setting out their stall to defend/frustrate St. mirren, looking to hit on the break through Pawlett, Mackie etc. Craig Brown is known for making his teams hard to beat first and foremost. I can see this being a very tight affair.

I feel the bet of the weekend has to Rangers at minus 1 in the handicap betting. Rangers have played poorly in their last 2 matches but I cant see anything other than a big win for Rangers here. St Johnstone were very poor against Aberdeen and were lucky not to lose. Rangers are also alot better than Abderdeen. With this bet being over evens I'm jumping on it as I feel its easy money. My Bets for this game are Rangers (-1) @6/4 Rangers to win to nil @7/5 Whittaker to score in a Rangers win @4/1 Lets hope for a profitable game.
2/3 :ok

Well done MP' date=' hope you made a good profit :clap[/quote'] Only a little in-play on this one, but I saw the last 30 minutes of the game, and it was clear that Rangers were very good value for their win.