** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25

Saturday 23 July 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Rangers v Hearts (12:30 BST) 1.41 4.93 9.5 101.57 %
maximize.gif Aberdeen v St Johnstone (15:00 BST) 2.16 3.5 4 99.87 %
maximize.gif Motherwell v Inverness CT (15:00 BST) 2.22 3.48 3.6 101.56 %
Sunday 24 July 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Hibernian v Celtic (12:30 BST) 8.83 4.89 1.44 101.01 %
maximize.gif Dundee United v Kilmarnock (15:00 BST) 1.93 3.6 4.5 101.69 %
Monday 25 July 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Dunfermline Athletic v St Mirren (19:45 BST) 2.34 3.4 3.34 102.09 %

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Very un-original bet for me this weekend, but one which I feel is as safe as you are likely to get on the first game of the season and that is a Celtic and Rangers double. Rangers play Hearts first tomorrow lunchtime and though I think Hearts have signed some decent players and will do well this season, I expect Rangers to have too much for them tomorrow. Hearts have lost Lee Wallace to their opponents and Kevin Kyle is also out, two big blows. I wouldn't read too much into Rangers' pre-season form either, their players have been there and done it and I expect them to step up beginning tomorrow. Also, Rangers have not dropped points in their SPL opener since 2004. On to Celtic on Sunday and I also expect the Hoops to have no real trouble at Easter Road. I look at Hibs and I'm convinced that manager Colin Calderwood doesn't really want to be there, he's been linked with Forest and Birmingham but that doesn't look like it's going to happen so he is stuck at Hibs. His record was very unimpressive last season and can see Hibs having another average/poor season starting on Sunday. They also only have one fit striker on Sunday in Garry O'Connor so goals may be a problem and I cannot see them keeping out the likes of Commons, Stokes and Hooper. The double pays roughly evens generally and I think that is a more than fair price. Selection: Rangers/Celtic double @ 2.04 with Betfair - 5 units

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 My money is on Aberdeen this weekend! A lot of expectation in the highlands for Craig browns team! A fee good signings and are always good at home! St Johnstone are almost a derby match but the experience of Craig brown will shine through! My gamble of the week is dunfermline they are a very pacey attacking team and first game in spl will be a cracker and st mirren are poor and haven't strengthened enough for me. Expect goals and a dunfermline win!

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Right, let's get going again... The SPL kicks off with little fanfare, being spread over three days, and then interruptions the next two weeks for "glamour" friendlies, but nevertheless it's good to be back. Small stakes to begin with. Most of the teams have had large turnovers in their squads, so it'll take a month or so to figure them out. Aberdeen v St Johnstone: Under 2.25 goals @ 1.855 with Pinnacle (3/10) Really impressed with the work St Johnstone boss Derek McInnes has done in the transfer market. Losing Michael Duberry and Danny Grainger were big blows, but he's done some shrewd shopping, bringing in Frazer Wright and Calum Davidson to his backline. In midfield, for me, he pulled off one of the signings of the summer in David Robertson from Dundee United. He's a player I reckon could easily play in the top half of the English Championship. Cillian Sheridan, the ex-Celtic player and Irish international, has just joined on loan from CSKA Sofia and he's a player I've always rated highly. Aberdeen, meanwhile, have lost several experienced men; Zander Diamond, Paul Hartley, Derek Young and Chris Maguire have all moved on. Craig Brown hasn't been as active in the market as I expected. Chris Clark, Isaac Osborne, Youl Mawene and Kari Arnason all have a pedigree, as does new keeper Jason Brown, while fellow stopper David Gonzalez was on Man City's books. I'd have thought he would have added more. Anyway, on to the match itself, and I'm expecting a cagey affair. Both sides look stronger in defence than they do in attack, so for that reason I don't see the net bulging too often. I did think initially of St Johnstone on the plus handicap, but I reckon with so many new players bedding into their respective sides, both might be a little disjointed and struggle to produce their best. Craig Brown's sides are always well organised, while St Johnstone had few defensive problems last season, and their new-look back four seems every bit as strong. Low-key start to the season at Pittodrie, I reckon. Motherwell v Inverness CT: Motherwell (-0.25AH) @ 1.87 with Pinnacle (3/10) The difference between these two sides, on paper at least because that's all we've got in the locker at this stage, is what they've got up top. Both sold last season's main strikers in the summer; Well losing John Sutton to Hearts and Caley's Adam Rooney joining Birmingham. The Fir Park men, however, have replaced their talisman, Michael Higdon joining from St Mirren. He's always scored goals in the SPL, with 14 last season and I expect him to handle his big move no problem. Caley, meanwhile, have brought in Gregory Tade from Raith. He's bounced about the SFL for a while, and this is finally his big break. He's known as a workhorse, a guy who'll chase down lost causes all day long, but when it comes to putting the ball in the onion bag, he's not so hot. Jamie Murphy will also grab goals for Motherwell, as will the likes of Chris Humphrey and new signing Nicky Law, who I hear has impressed in pre-season. Caley will rely on wide man Johnny Hayes to fire in the occasional 25-yarder and Richie Foran, who's good for 6-7 goals a season, but is by no means prolific. Well haven't lost anyone of note other than Sutton, while ICT boss Terry Butcher's May clearout of guys like Grant Munro, Chris Hogg, Chris Innes, Russell Duncan and Roy McBain could come back to haunt him. Butcher himself said this week his squad isn't ready for the SPL and that he's still got a lot of shopping to do. They could be caught cold at Fir Park tomorrow. Good luck all who play! :ok P.S. Kosher - Think I'll have a nibble on your double, good spot! P.P.S. I've started a weekly SPL Lucky 63 in the Glory Hunters' Forum, if anyone fancies a look. Cheers.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25

My money is on Aberdeen this weekend! A lot of expectation in the highlands for Craig browns team! A fee good signings and are always good at home! St Johnstone are almost a derby match but the experience of Craig brown will shine through! My gamble of the week is dunfermline they are a very pacey attacking team and first game in spl will be a cracker and st mirren are poor and haven't strengthened enough for me. Expect goals and a dunfermline win!
Really don't want to criticise people, mate, but two things... Aberdeen is not in the Highlands, and St Mirren really have strengthened. Lots of people saying they could sneak into the top 6 this season. Good luck with your bets though :ok

one bet for me to-morrow' date=' aberdeen v st johnstone.goal line.OVER 2,2.5.
Why? If you don't put your reasoning up, then nobody will know why to follow, and ultimately, this post will be deleted.

My money is on Aberdeen this weekend! A lot of expectation in the highlands for Craig browns team! A fee good signings and are always good at home! St Johnstone are almost a derby match but the experience of Craig brown will shine through! My gamble of the week is dunfermline they are a very pacey attacking team and first game in spl will be a cracker and st mirren are poor and haven't strengthened enough for me. Expect goals and a dunfermline win!
Again i'm not one to criticise other punters but cmon mate. As said before Aberdeen is NOT in the Highlands and as for St Johnstone nearly being a derby to us? It couldn't be further from the truth. Anyway my opinions of this game are that it could either way really. Aberdeen is always buzzing in the first game of a season and we usually put up a good show for the first 3 or so SPL games until we start dreaming and then all of a sudden become a mediocre team again. This should be a NO bet game at all costs as Ive been to Pittodrie too much to know that really anything can happen in this match.

one bet for me to-morrow' date=' aberdeen v st johnstone.goal line.OVER 2,2.5.
st johnstone have had a lot of success at pittodrie since returning to the S.P.L.derek mcinnes has strenthened his team with his summer signings and expects a good show to-morrow,aberdeen have also made some decent signings including kari arnason.expect goals ATCO hopefully.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Cannot be touching Rangers at 1.36 on the opening game of the season, will be keeping an eye on this match to see how they look under McCoist before putting money on them, Hearts are more than capable of making things tough for them. Good luck to anybody betting on the game.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Yeah, definitely agree with that. The Jambos always tricky opposition for any of the old firm on a level playing field. M.coist wouldn,t have picked this one for his first game if he had a choice. Walter Smith will be a hard act to follow and I have my doubts about M,coists managerial capabilities. Certainly not a gimme. I would avoid the skinny price on Rangers and look for better value elsewhere. :sad

Cannot be touching Rangers at 1.36 on the opening game of the season, will be keeping an eye on this match to see how they look under McCoist before putting money on them, Hearts are more than capable of making things tough for them. Good luck to anybody betting on the game.
Got to agree with you here mate, I won't be going anywhere near Rangers until I see what they are made of under McCoist. Especially not for 1.36.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Totally agree with not playing Rangers until we see what they are made of this season. I'm personally going to have a small dabble on Hearts or the draw at 3.3 (Paddy Power). I know nothing about either team really, but I think the odds give some value for the team expected to finish 3rd in the league taking something away from Ibrox. Plus its the first game of the season, no one really knows what's going to happen or what shape the players are in, so i'd rather be on the larger odds than backing Rangers.

Cannot be touching Rangers at 1.36 on the opening game of the season, will be keeping an eye on this match to see how they look under McCoist before putting money on them, Hearts are more than capable of making things tough for them. Good luck to anybody betting on the game.
Odds of 1.36 seem way too short - value is more likely with Hearts at those prices.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 I don't know, Hearts have a pretty poor record up at Ibrox. One win in their last nineteen visits and three draws. All draws came in the second half of the season. Rangers have risen slightly to make them more appealing. I usually find that when non OF sides gain in confidence they play more expansive football, allowing for their opponent to find more space.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Rangers will give a professional performance on the opening day of the season as they always do. I can see a 2-0 win for the home side with a solid performance to already put the pressure on Celtic at Easter Road tomorrow. Although I really deteste the Glasgow club, I really can't see anything but a home win so will definitely be lumping on the Home side along with a away day win for Dundee in there Challenge cup match at Arbroath. Dundee should sweep away Arbroath infront of a few good thousand Dundee fans as it's only a 20 or so minute trip on the train from Dundee. A fantastic Scottish double to get the season up and running.:p

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Aberdeen - St. Johnstone: St. Johnstone (DNB) @ 2.50 (Ladbrokes) 10/10 The guests have come away winners the last three times they visted Aberdeen. The hosts finished last season in a dismal way where they only won 2 out of the last 12 matches. Aberdeen managed to lose 5 out of the 6 last home matches without even scoring. The guests had an okay season in 2010-2011 and finished in 8th place. St. Johnstone plays a tight game and I see Aberdeen having trouble scoring and thus winning the match. The odds are very attractive for the guests's win with full cover for the draw and I think represents value here.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Stick your spare change on Peterhead. Alloa manager Paul Hartley says he may have to pull on the boots for Alloa despite his retirement from the game last season. Peterhead with Rory McAlister up top will be too much for a Alloa side missing SIX players. McAlister was linked with teams in the Spl and championship during the summer but stayed part time to finish his apprenticeship. Price should go down before kick off. 5/10 Peterhead 2.10 Paddy Power

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Similar to the Rangers non-bet really, I was in two minds whether to take Celtic at 1.40 away to Hibernian but I'm just not sure enough. Both teams will still be rusty and finding match fitness. There's a good chance Celtic could walk all over Hibs, but I don't think Hibs can be as bad as they were at the end of last season and it's too risky for me. Same to be said with Dundee United Vs. Kilmarnock really. Dundee odds-on, no thanks. I think just watching the first round of fixtures is the best way to go here, just look at today's fixtures, very tight games Motherwell's victory aside. Good luck to all who are braver than me! :p

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 as the previous poster said you have to tread careful on these early games,i think if dundee utd come out the traps like they did mid-week killy wont live with them,ime going for small stakes on dundee,2-0,3-0.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Hibernian v Celtic After running Hibs home form and Celtics away form from last season through my Pullien calculator, a few bets stand out as value; 9 or less corners @ 2.92 (Betfair) - Pullien Odds 2.35 Last season numbers also highlight that 53% of Hibs home games and 53% of Celtic away games included 9 or less corners. 9 or more booking points @ 2.36 (Betfair) - Pullien Odds 1.75 Last season numbers also highlight that 42% of Hibs home games and 58% of Celtic away games included 9 or more booking points.

Re: Weekend > Scotland > Clydesdale Bank Premier League > July 23-25 Dundee UTD v Kilmarnock Dundee UTD at 10/11 My reasoning for this choice is: Dundee UTD have a strong squad with no major injuries coming into this game today. Kilmarnock has lost Eremenko and their new summer arrivals have minor injuries and wont be starting today. Dundee UTD done well in the Slask fixture scoring twice very early on in the game, just a shame they got a bit too complacent and conceded 2 which put them out of the Europa League on away goals, but they still got the win at home. I think they can learn from that match coming into this game and try to go ahead then be a bit more careful on the ball to avoid any season opener upset.

Hibernian v Celtic After running Hibs home form and Celtics away form from last season through my Pullien calculator, a few bets stand out as value; 9 or less corners @ 2.92 (Betfair) - Pullien Odds 2.35 Last season numbers also highlight that 53% of Hibs home games and 53% of Celtic away games included 9 or less corners. 9 or more booking points @ 2.36 (Betfair) - Pullien Odds 1.75 Last season numbers also highlight that 42% of Hibs home games and 58% of Celtic away games included 9 or more booking points.
Full time score: Hibs 0 Celtic 2 Corners: 0-6 = 6 Cards: 1-0 = 1 Saw a little of this game, and followed the in-play corner/card stats. From what I saw, Celtic largely controlled the game, scoring a goal in each half. Celtic dominated the corner count, and I know they tend to keep possession much better than most of the other Scottish sides - meaning the others struggle to get corners. Once Celtic had scored their first goal, there were few corners, possibly because Celtic controlled possession. Surprisingly, there was only one card - for Hibs in the last minute. Although one of your bets lost, the good odds mean you still had a healthy profit :ok

Aberdeen v St Johnstone: Under 2.25 goals @ 1.855 with Pinnacle (3/10) Motherwell v Inverness CT: Motherwell (-0.25AH) @ 1.87 with Pinnacle (3/10)
Aberdeen 0-0 St Johnstone - WIN! Motherwell 3-0 Inverness CT - WIN! Good start to the season. Also ended up swerving the OF doubler, so happy days. Not ruling out something for tomorrow night's game, but will give it some more thought. :ok