** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Golf: The Open 2011

kevshat

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Miguel Angel Jimenez third round leader 12/1 skybet has played well to be in this postion and the way he is playing he has got a great chance to win the whole thing Rory McIlroy third round leader 20/1 skybet well he has been in this postion before and he has still got chance to win so a good round would put him in contention and has confidence from his last tournament win Charl Schwartzel third round leader 12/1 skybet already won a major and he is being very consistent since that win and he looks good to go close again Thomas Bjorn third round leader 14/1 skybet great first round and he can do it again because he knows this course so well

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 J. day to beat bubba watson 5/6 (2 ball betting) looking at the outright betting and day is around 40/1 where as bubba is about 100/1 and with tomorrows weather picking up i can see bubba getting frustrated alot and i think the links course will suit day alot better 8/10 also noticed KIM is priced at 125/1 and is only 4 shots off the lead so have had a wee flutter on it 2/10 both with ladbrokes

Re: Golf: The Open 2011

I like the bet myself BB. You have the cushion of the "anyone within 10 shots of the leader" makes the cut as well as the normal cut zone. This is very helpful for such a bet unless someone shoots the lights out! Also the kind of bet to give you nervous moments given the terrain. Have a look at "To miss the cut" odds. I like to have a go at this for the fun factor on a hard course. without doubt there will be a few juicy priced fallers' date=' there always is. GL[/quote'] No sure wether you took my advice BB. 20 + of the fallers were evens or better. Some of the big prices were the likes of Lee Westwood 5/1, Luke Donald 9/2 and Nick Watney 5/2 bet 365.

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Looking like a real tight fight for this and looks near impossible to call should be a great two days ahead. Would dearly love Big Darren to win his first and what would most likely be his only major has a T2nd & T3rd in this and pray he can add a 1 to it but sadly i don't think it will happen. McIlroy is grinding away which is good to see and seems very confident he will be there about's come Sunday night. He needs a good round today and get with in a stroke or two to be a contender as imo i don't see anyone more than three three shots back come the start of the last day winning it IMO as it looks set to be tough weather conditions for day four wouldn't be surprised if there is three or four in a playoff. Garcia has got himself in good position a couple of times this week but has let it slip he can't afford to do that again or his tournament will be over. Good to see the young amateur Tom Lewis still in there fighting i hope does well and looks to have great potential. Going to throw a few quid at 3rd rd leader and i'm going for Russ p fancy to win it MARTIN KAYMER 6/1 SJ to be 3rd rd leader who is playing solidly and is one stroke behind the leaders. The German reminds me a bit of his fellow compatriot Bernard Langer who was always a threat come the last day if up with the pace was always a very solid player imo . Kaymer has one major win and only needs one more to match Langer which he will probably do at least at least in time.

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Going to add to my current bet on Kaymer with 2 more. Z.Johnson to win the Open, 0.5pts EW @ 100/1 William Hill (1/4 odds 1-4) Sits 4 shots off the lead but that's nothing, especially in the weekend conditions where par is going to be a good score. Zach is still a top player, a major winner and is in good form with 3 top 4's in his last 6 events. Has played pretty well too here at Royal St Georges with rounds of 72 and 68. The thing that I like about him this week is the fact the bogeys, in the main, have stayed off the card, with just 2 in his last 30 holes. He's also right up there on the US tour for scrambling this year, lying in 6th. If he continues to play bogey free golf, irrespective of how many birdies he hits, he will be bang there tomorrow afternoon. L.Glover to win the Open, 1.5pts EW @ 16/1 William Hill (1/4 odds 1-4) Currently leading the open but, again, is a major winner so knows what it's like with the pressure on. Glover is playing really well but, as with Zach, I want to player who can keep those bogeys off their card. Just 3 bogeys in his first 2 rounds which is excellent going and his scrambling's been pretty good, consider he's hit less than 50% off fairways. Drives the ball a long way which is another plus on this track, as well as some great putting. It's expected that the weather will ease off later on so it may just favour the leaders, and I'll therefore take juicy odds on Lucas to take the Claret Jug back across the water.

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 3rd round 2 balls Mcilroy vs Fowler selection: Mcilroy at 1.72 Bet365 The weather is going to play a huge part today and being from Ireland Rory will have more experience playing in the wind and rain.Fowler struggled off the tee yesterday finding just 2 of 14 fairways.If he drives like that today in these conditions it will be difficult to recover.I see Mcilroy winning the 2 ball comfortably.

Going to add to my current bet on Kaymer with 2 more. Z.Johnson to win the Open, 0.5pts EW @ 100/1 William Hill (1/4 odds 1-4) Sits 4 shots off the lead but that's nothing, especially in the weekend conditions where par is going to be a good score. Zach is still a top player, a major winner and is in good form with 3 top 4's in his last 6 events. Has played pretty well too here at Royal St Georges with rounds of 72 and 68. The thing that I like about him this week is the fact the bogeys, in the main, have stayed off the card, with just 2 in his last 30 holes. He's also right up there on the US tour for scrambling this year, lying in 6th. If he continues to play bogey free golf, irrespective of how many birdies he hits, he will be bang there tomorrow afternoon. L.Glover to win the Open, 1.5pts EW @ 16/1 William Hill (1/4 odds 1-4) Currently leading the open but, again, is a major winner so knows what it's like with the pressure on. Glover is playing really well but, as with Zach, I want to player who can keep those bogeys off their card. Just 3 bogeys in his first 2 rounds which is excellent going and his scrambling's been pretty good, consider he's hit less than 50% off fairways. Drives the ball a long way which is another plus on this track, as well as some great putting. It's expected that the weather will ease off later on so it may just favour the leaders, and I'll therefore take juicy odds on Lucas to take the Claret Jug back across the water.
GD shout m8 was just about tae post the 1 bout zach johnson got my £5 back for donald missing the cut with will hill so put 2.50 ew on zach johnson 100/1 for a guy thats playing well and hit a 68 in bad conditions yesterday is too big and appeals more than mcilroy at 7s

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Going for a few 2 balls too in this 3rd round. P.Mickleson to beat T.Lewis, 5pts @ 4/6 Stan James Former World No 1 and multiple major winner versus young British amateur. A complete mismatch for me and I think Leftie will win this comfortably. Tom Lewis posted a super 65 in the opening round but then struggled badly yesterday, hitting just 3 fairways en route to a 74. Without doubt, it's his putting that has made him perform so well this week. Mickleson, meanwhile, hasn't been holing many putts but has played well tee to green and that will be absolutely key in these conditions. A par round will be a super score today and I can't see Lewis managing that in this wind. Leftie is still in with a shout of the Claret Jug and I expect him to mount his challenge today. Should win this at a canter. J.Overton to beat R.Palmer, 3pts @ 20/19 Stan James I like Overton here. Both these players lie on -1 but Overton has much more in his favour today. Has hit 17/28 fairways, 24 greens and just 5 bogeys so far this week which indicates he's been pretty consistent. Palmer has 8 bogeys in contrast so is more of an up & down player. Generally, I think consistency will be important today and 'streaky' types will probably hate these conditions. That favours our selection here and I do feel he's the better player anyway. If Overton can stay out of those bunkers (been in 5 so far), then he should win this. MA.Jimenez to beat T.Bjorn, 3pts @ 21/20 Stan James Cigar smoking Spaniard, Jimenez, is a favourite of mine and is a big price too here to see off the Dane. Both these players have played well this week, right in the mix just 1 off the lead. Miguel has been in the better form this season and is the one I feel can stay up top of the leaderboard whilst, after a fantastic day 1, I think Bjorn will fall away. Jimenez has been putting well and only has 4 over par scores on his card. Bjorn's stats contrast so differently from day 1 to day 2, having 7 more putts yesteday than he did on Thursday. MAJ is said to be inspired this week by the memory of Seve and I'll take him to win here. The Dane won't be bringing home the bacon today.

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 what price anyone breaking par today, i cant see it at all, i expect they will all hit +3 upwards today in those conditions with 4 of the par 4 playing like par 5's so that 4 shots extra on the par, instead of being a 70, more lilke a 74 today been looking at the end of round leader but its a lottery!!Mcilroy at 20's if he goes round in level par may have a squeak on that market. I think level par could be the leader tonuight

what price anyone breaking par today' date=' i cant see it at all, i expect they will all hit +3 upwards today in those conditions with 4 of the par 4 playing like par 5's so that 4 shots extra on the par, instead of being a 70, more lilke a 74 today [/quote'] ....Woodland -2 after 9:ok

....Woodland -2 after 9:ok
Now +3 after a triple on the 14th. Just backed Steve Stricker at 36s on Betfair. Having won last week counts against him statistically, but he ranks 1st in scrambling, 1st in strokes gained putting, 1st in putting from 5-15 feet and 1st in GIR from inside of 100 yards. All of these look like they will be crucial factors today.

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Bit of an annoying day yesterday with Kaymer getting a share of a place but left a few shots on the course while McIlroy made a superb up and down from the bunker to deny me a half with Fowler. Hoping for better with a speculative bet today. 1pt ew J.Overton Third Round Leader 40/1 Bet365 (1/5 1-4) Jeff Overton goes into the third round one under par and he's gone along relatively nicely in the event so far. What I like about Overton here is he's proven in the UK over the last 12 months that wet and windy conditions don't worry him too much. He shot 69 in the second round at St Andrews last year, a day which was so bad they had to halt play for a time on that day and then in the Ryder Cup on the opening day of that event when the skies were sending everything including the kitchen sink down he went very well too along with his partner Bubba Watson. It's not just the wet weather he excels in, he was in the top 15 in this event in 2009 behind Stewart Cink as well so he can play links golf in the wet and the dry. I guess in many ways this price is because he's not a well known player with the casual fan but he's a very solid golfer, gritty competitor and he could shoot as good a round as any today. If he can find a 72 or better he won't be too far away when the final two reach the delights of the clubhouse tonight.

Any reason why' date=' Rob?[/quote'] yep sorry was in a hurry to post up before Fowler's shot on the 1st, 66/1 and mcilroy 20/1, both playing together and off same mark of level par, i noted fowler was about 20 yards further than mcilroy on the drives on thursday and this may count today, 46pts higher than mcilroy price, i think the bookies may have made a mistake here with this price especially only 4 off the lead.

Bit of an annoying day yesterday with Kaymer getting a share of a place but left a few shots on the course while McIlroy made a superb up and down from the bunker to deny me a half with Fowler. Hoping for better with a speculative bet today. 1pt ew J.Overton Third Round Leader 40/1 Bet365 (1/5 1-4) Jeff Overton goes into the third round one under par and he's gone along relatively nicely in the event so far. What I like about Overton here is he's proven in the UK over the last 12 months that wet and windy conditions don't worry him too much. He shot 69 in the second round at St Andrews last year, a day which was so bad they had to halt play for a time on that day and then in the Ryder Cup on the opening day of that event when the skies were sending everything including the kitchen sink down he went very well too along with his partner Bubba Watson. It's not just the wet weather he excels in, he was in the top 15 in this event in 2009 behind Stewart Cink as well so he can play links golf in the wet and the dry. I guess in many ways this price is because he's not a well known player with the casual fan but he's a very solid golfer, gritty competitor and he could shoot as good a round as any today. If he can find a 72 or better he won't be too far away when the final two reach the delights of the clubhouse tonight.
i have Jeff as an outright at 110/1 he has a decent record here three out of three cuts made and two top 20 finishes if he is in top 6 by end of play tonight that 110s will look massive

yep sorry was in a hurry to post up before Fowler's shot on the 1st' date=' 66/1 and mcilroy 20/1, both playing together and off same mark of level par, i noted fowler was about 20 yards further than mcilroy on the drives on thursday and this may count today, 46pts higher than mcilroy price, i think the bookies may have made a mistake here with this price especially only 4 off the lead.[/quote'] rickie posts up a -2 total after an excellent 68, lets eee what happens next, i need 4 or 5 now to drop some shots and conditions hsave slightly improved now

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 This is all set up for a fantastic day on Sunday. Going to take this one before the market settles down overnight. 1pt ew M.A.Jimenez to win The Open 18/1 Totesport (1/4 1-4) Miguel Angel Jimenez has played some wonderful golf over the opening 54 holes and if he had holed anything on Saturday he could be right up there with Clarke and Johnson. He's not one to get frustrated with that though. He'll go out tomorrow, hit good shots and give the putts another chance to fall and the way he's played this week if conditions are friendly enough he's definitely got a 66 or a 67 in him if the short stick comes hot again. I've had a feeling for Spanish players this week with the Seve tributes and stuff. Sadly Sergio caught the brunt of the horrible conditions on Sunday and looks a bit far back but Miguel is bang in the mix and if the leading two wobble he could easily be the one to capitalise on what promises to be a very exciting Sunday.

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Rickie Fowler to win open 15/2 , i had him as one of my original eleven (see an earlier post in this thread) and he was 80s then, but after today i thought he was the most impressive and showed maturitty beyond his years, he outplayed an over hyped McIlroy for the last two days and three rounds of 70.70.68 is Open winning form consistent and steady. Clarke for me has miseed the boat he had chance after chance today and let them all slip by a links course does'nt often give you those chances two days running!, Johnson must be scarred after his escapdes in majors last year, and he will be partnering Clarke again with a partisan crowd, so not for me the American and MAJ i reckon is too laid back he has'nt won on the tour for a while now can he still posess that winning mentality ok Fowler has no PGA wins, but Curtis, Hamilton, and Oosthuizen were virgin winners too for me if Fowler continues as he has been he is a real contender and 15/2 is a nice price ( glad i had him at 80s though)

i have a list of eleven i would like to whittle down to no more than 8 please help ! garcia 28, rose 50, poulter 66, P hanson 70, mahan 70, jacobsen 75, fowler 80, bubba watson 100, cink 100, overton 110, paul lawrie 150, an interesting stat about Jeff Overton made three out of three cuts and last two opens finished 11th and 7th so has to be value at those odds
luckliy i left all eleven and ricky was one

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Fowler gave me a right run for my money today and i was right to think he was well overpriced at 66/1 to be leader after today especially with Mcilroy only 20's (the bookies must think we are all mad!). I beleive that had the conditions stayed poor i might have won that bet today Ive been with Clarke in this position before, has he got 4 rounds in him ? i am not so sure, he wont have better chances than he had today. Duston Johnson hits the ball a long way and could set up loads of birdies especially on those par 5's. Of those sitting in behind, I am disappointed that my main bet Schwartzel dropped away today with a 75. That may have cost him any chance of being near the leaders now. Of the others, Kaymer could be the one at 18/1 to put the frighteners on. I was impresssed with his attitude today and he is the highest ranked player in the field now. EW terms of 1/4 odds for 1st 3 now make him a solid bet i feel. Lets have a play on him to finish in the top 3 : 3.5pts ew 18/1 1/4 odds for 1-2-3 (paddy power)

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Im tempted by Anthony Kim at around the 40/1 mark, he's gradually got better as this tournament has gone on and shot an impressive 70 today, putting very well. He's a player capable of shooting a very low score and seems to be handling the conditions well. 5 of the lead so a big ask but looks a decent interest bet at a big price imo.

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 Darren Clarke places 1-3 1.90@ Paddy Power A great value bet here in my opinion. Ball striking will be the most important thing tomorrow( not a putting contest like a pga tour event) and Clarkes ball striking has been off the charts, especially today. If his putter was hot he would have been out of sight. The weather tomorrow will again be inclement to say the least so the players notching up the gir's will be ones that will be successful. Clarke has a 4 shot advantage on 4th place and considering the above, a solid punt. Good luck Giz :ok

Re: Golf: The Open 2011 The Open. Phil Mickleson EW 20/1 b365 Big Phil has put in three good rounds so far and is in a fine attacking position, not that you would think it watching the BBC coverage, I think I saw two of Mickleson's shots in between him teeing off and walking up the 18th. Mickleson has vast experience of a Sunday battle in a major and will have his game plan ready. According to Gary woodland yesterday it was the perpetual rain that destroyed his round in the end. The leaders will be getting drenched today unlike yesterday, and this may prove a greater hazard than the wind. Presssure will be on for the leaders big time, down the stretch and in the forecast conditions we may well see some crashing and burning! Clarke melted in the final round of the Scottish Open last week shooting a round of 80. I have no great desire to see him win as he has cost me dearly over the years, unable to win a journeyman three ball on most occassions. This forum is after all about winning money not gooey sentiment. Mickleson the proven champion to come to the fore. GL

3pts Darren Clarke to win The Open 11/4 @ William Hill Think the big likable irishman will get the job done from here.His ball striking and the way he played yesterday was a exhibition on how to play a links golf course, ok so he left a few shots out there but that just shows how good his ball striking was.The forecast is much the same today with the wind maybe blowing a little stronger this afternoon than it did yesterday.This will play in to Clarkes hands because he has played so much in it recently,since moving back to Portrush,so I feel it will just bring his unbelievable ball striking to the fore. Sent from my HTC Desire using PL Forum

Clarke melted in the final round of the Scottish Open last week shooting a round of 80. I have no great desire to see him win as he has cost me dearly over the years, unable to win a journeyman three ball on most occassions. This forum is after all about winning money not gooey sentiment. Mickleson the proven champion to come to the fore. GL
Unlike your false coloured map you use for an avatar Jackie i'm true, honest and immensely patriotic to the core where sports people from my country Northern Ireland, are concerned call it gooey sentiment or what you like but it would be unbeliveable to have another Ulsterman win a major i'm more than happy to lose a few quid for that to happen obviously your different, money, self pride etc means more to you than say see the like of Padraig Harrington win. This forum isn't just about winning money its bigger than that imo. C,mon Big Darren:hope

3pts Darren Clarke to win The Open 11/4 @ William Hill Think the big likable irishman will get the job done from here.His ball striking and the way he played yesterday was a exhibition on how to play a links golf course, ok so he left a few shots out there but that just shows how good his ball striking was.The forecast is much the same today with the wind maybe blowing a little stronger this afternoon than it did yesterday.This will play in to Clarkes hands because he has played so much in it recently,since moving back to Portrush,so I feel it will just bring his unbelievable ball striking to the fore. Sent from my HTC Desire using PL Forum
I think this will be difficult for Clarke with a one shot lead and the conditions, pressure abundant. 11/4 is not great value. PS what is "HTC Desire"

Unlike your false coloured map you use for an avatar Jackie i'm true, honest and immensely patriotic to the core where sports people from my country Northern Ireland, are concerned call it gooey sentiment or what you like but it would be unbeliveable to have another Ulsterman win a major i'm more than happy to lose a few quid for that to happen obviously your different, money, self pride etc means more to you than say see the like of Padraig Harrington win. This forum isn't just about winning money its bigger than that imo. C,mon Big Darren:hope
As I said this is a betting forum as recent posts have said, we need more constructive veiws on the betting side of things and I will thankyou kindly to leave your sectarian abuse in the gutter.