Announcements
** September Nap's Competition Result: 1st Boulder5111, 2nd Craig Bluenose, 3rd Barnsley Chop, 4th Zilzalian KO Cup: Bathtime For Rupert, Most Winners: Waggy**
**September Poker League Result : 1st Kevsul £75, 2nd Gemic £45, 3rd Barry John £30**
** Last Man Standing Result - Ivailobg/Cookro split 1st £125 / Larking22 1st Consolation Cup £50 **

Copa America > Tuesday 12th July

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July According to Goal.com, changes are afoot, for Argy, with this being the predicted line-up: Sergio Romero; Pablo Zabaleta, Nicolas Burdisso, Gabriel Milito, Javier Zanetti; Gago, Javier Mascherano; Aguero, Lionel Messi, Di Maria; Higuain. http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3710/copa-america/2011/07/10/2568589/argentinas-sergio-batista-to-drop-carlos-tevez-ezequiel Right away that looks a lot better, and a lot better formation. Love to take them on the outright, as they'd be much lower had they played better up to this point, but it's always hard to back a team out of form, so not sure yet.

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July I am no too sure thats going to be the team. No confirmation on who is going to play, but I do know Di Maria is probably a given, which is good for Argentina. Higuain also looks like he could get the go ahead. Cago is still a might, but I think it would be incredibly stupid to play him. How many games has Gago played this season? He was injured almost all season, and when he wasn't he didn't play anyway. Nothing player. Would be a huge risk to play him, hes completely out of form.

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July I suppose the formation change would make sense - why have 3 shit ball-players in midfield when you can lose one and gain an attacker? Still feels a bit like Argentina are cramming strikers onto the pitch but at least they'd be leading with a proper striker in Higuain. Quick transitions up to those 4 strikers should get them over the line. No way Gago will play instead of Cambiasso or Banega.

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July Batista confirmed that Gago, Aguero, Higuain and Di Maria will all start tomorrow. I think Di Maria is definitely going to offer something different to Argentina as well as Higuain and it should be positive, but don't expect the team to play well. A couple days isn't enough to change formation, players etc and expect the team to perform. Argentina is betting more on moments of individual brilliance than on anything else. As for the inclusion of Gago, I think its plain right stupid to include him in such an important game and way too much of a gamble. Cago has only played 214 minutes of football this season with Real Madrid. How can you play someone who has only about 2 games and a half of football played for his club all season long! Its incomprehensible to me. La Volpe today in a press conference said that Argentina is sleeping and he's absolutely right, and I agree, they have been for a long time now too. Not just this Copa America. What will it take for them to wake up? I don't know, a proper manager perhaps? La Volpe said " lets hope they don't wake up against us" and also pointed out how a amateur 19 year old from a University will be marking Messi tomorrow. Which I think was more of a stunt just to add pressure on Argentina. I mean if you can't beat a u22 team your in deep shit, right? Argentina have everything to lose here and Costa Rica have everything to win. Pressure is on Argentina and I reckon if they don't find an early goal things will get very nervy. Even more than they are right now. I believe this plays against Argentina. I think its going to be a tight match, we saw that Costa Rica can be Dangerous with Campbell, who is incredibly fast, and we also saw they can defend vs Colombia. Until the red card Colombia never looked dangerous and even 1 man down on the field Costa Rica remained composed and kept the scoreline 1-0. Meanwhile nothing really makes me say Argentina is going to be any different to what we saw in their first two encounters. They have not gone from bad to better, they have gone form bad to worse. Messi's body language vs Colombia was really shocking and I would worry if I were Argentine and they all are, believe me. Confidence and spirits are very low in the Argentine camp. La Volpe knows Argentina well and I'm confident that Costa Rica will not be a walkover. This game will be tight, though Argentina will probably win. If they don't deserve it and can't get it, I could see them receiving some "extra help" from the ref, but anyway I really like this handicap. Costa Rica + 2.5 @ 1.5 bet365

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July International Soccer 2011 Overall 10W-5L-5P +3.30 units (66.66%) Costa Rica +2 (-145) to win 1 unit @ 5dimes Bottom like Argentina just hasn't proved that they can win a game let alone win one by 3 goals. I'll take my chances here with a young Costa Rica team

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July I reckon the handicap should be fine, but I can't bring myself to do it, not even the +3.5. This Argy sides been poor, but with some of the players they have, I'm just not comfortable opposing them. Instead, for fun, I'll have a go at the 0-0 @ 17.00 (Bet365).

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July I like 0-0 too Alexc. I'm also laying Argentina heavy at 1.20 on Betfair because the way they are playing I wouldn't even back them at 2/5 (1.40). I have seen enough of Costa Rica to know they can frustrate the life out of the under pressure hosts tonight. They will sit deep and look for the draw they need to finish ahead of la seleccion. Argentina have hardly fashioned a chance in 180 minutes of football and they will be up against it tonight big time.

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July

I like 0-0 too Alexc. I'm also laying Argentina heavy at 1.20 on Betfair because the way they are playing I wouldn't even back them at 2/5 (1.40). I have seen enough of Costa Rica to know they can frustrate the life out of the under pressure hosts tonight. They will sit deep and look for the draw they need to finish ahead of la seleccion. Argentina have hardly fashioned a chance in 180 minutes of football and they will be up against it tonight big time.
In addition to this, I think if Costa Rica do succeed in keeping it tight then they could well nick a goal on the break as the game progresses. Joel Campbell was tremendous in the 2-0 victory over Bolivia, and his pace and movement could cause Burdisso and Milito lots of problems - the defensive pairing still seem to show a lack of understanding in the tournament so far, and neither are exactly known for their speed. With this in mind, I think the 275/1 that PaddyPower are offering on a Joel Campbell/Costa Rica 1-0 scorecast is an exceptional price, and shall stick a single unit or so on such an outcome.

It's 22.00 at Betfair' date=' so y'know, mate. Minimum bet is £2 though, which is a bit too bold for me :lol[/quote'] Yep I got a decent amount matched at 26s on the 0-0 at Betfair. :) Those laying such big prices will be sweating buckets tonight I am sure. With all the pressure on Argentina, I don't see them scoring early against a team that has already looked very solid defensively. I would love for this to be 0-0 after 60 minutes and I think we have every chance. :hope

In addition to this, I think if Costa Rica do succeed in keeping it tight then they could well nick a goal on the break as the game progresses. Joel Campbell was tremendous in the 2-0 victory over Bolivia, and his pace and movement could cause Burdisso and Milito lots of problems - the defensive pairing still seem to show a lack of understanding in the tournament so far, and neither are exactly known for their speed. With this in mind, I think the 275/1 that PaddyPower are offering on a Joel Campbell/Costa Rica 1-0 scorecast is an exceptional price, and shall stick a single unit or so on such an outcome.
It's gotta be worth a tenner to cover that possibility I agree. I'm with you on that assuming I can get a tenner matched with paddy. ;)

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July Mexico AH + 1.5 @ 1.58 (Bet365) Uruguay have underperformed, thus far. Poor against Peru, and could even of lost, with Guerrero missing an easy chance, and second best to Chile, where they spent the last twenty-five clinging on. Forlan is out of form, and I believe Cavani may also miss this one with injury. I think they may win, but I believe it'll be narrow, and I wouldn't rule out a 0-0. Mexico have done really well. Leading Chile with nearly only twenty to play, and going behind with only seven to play against Peru, although admittedly, Peru did hit the woodwork twice and miss a sitter. I think they can run Uruguay close too. Edit: Sorry, thought this one was on the Tuesday :)

Sorry if it's confusing, I am working on UK time so your game above will be in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Taking one in the game tonight. Highest Scoring Half - 2nd Half @ 5/4 Coral I agree with the general opinion that things could get nervy for Argentina tonight, I think Costa Rica have enough about them to frustrate this Argentina attack, which wouldn't be difficult on first two showings but the ability is there on paper. Given it's likely to take a while for Argentina to break them down I am basing part of this bet that there is at most 1 goal before HT. If Argentina go in at 2 up then we could well see there better side with the pressure off and i'd still feel this would have a chance, Costa Rica would have to look to attack and this Argentina side have the ability to pick you off when they're playing well. I think it's pretty likely we see more goals in the 2nd half here.

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July Argentina - Costa Rica under 2.5 @ 2.78 pinnacle Argentina have struggled to produce all tournament and though they have the quality to score quite a few goals here, their main focus will be just to win the game and finish second in the group, while Costa Rica, who have surprised many with the quality of their play, will be looking to get just a point and finish ahead of the Argentinians. CR lost 1-0 to Colombia and then beat Bolivia 2-0, so defensively they are pretty solid and will not make it easy for Argentina to break through, while the Argentinians themselves drew 1-1 with Boivia and 0-0 with Colombia, so while their attack has not produced, their defence has. While Argentina are the obvious favourites, for them, one goal is enough to not only win but also to achieve their goal from this game of finishing second, and doubt that they will go all out to get it, if they do score, while CR will be looking to hold them for as long as possible.

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July Argentina vs Costa Rica - (Asian Total Cards) Over 5 @ 1.90 - Bet365 2pts So, Argentina need a win but a draw will be enough for Costa Rica. This is the kind of game I like to get involved in the cards market for. I can't be having any of this "they have to win tonight and will" etc. They've been a right shambles from the get-go and the outright odds are ridiculous. Anyway, the ref for this game is Victor Huga Rivera of Peru and he isn't shy with his cards. I don't think there's been a game where he hasn't flashed a yellow. The lad upfront for CR is tricky and will give the Argentina absolute nightmares tonight. I think we will see at least 5 cards here with the stakes at play for both sides to qualify for the next round in 2nd place.

Argentina vs Costa Rica - (Asian Total Cards) Over 5 @ 1.90 - Bet365 2pts So, Argentina need a win but a draw will be enough for Costa Rica. This is the kind of game I like to get involved in the cards market for. I can't be having any of this "they have to win tonight and will" etc. They've been a right shambles from the get-go and the outright odds are ridiculous. Anyway, the ref for this game is Victor Huga Rivera of Peru and he isn't shy with his cards. I don't think there's been a game where he hasn't flashed a yellow. The lad upfront for CR is tricky and will give the Argentina absolute nightmares tonight. I think we will see at least 5 cards here with the stakes at play for both sides to qualify for the next round in 2nd place.
That is a cracking bet there soundingstylish. Watched Costa Rica's last game against Bolivia and every time a Costa Rican player was beaten 1 on 1 he would just stick out his hand and grab the Bolivian player. At other times they were sliding into tackles they weren't going to win. Clearly a sign that Costa Rica are playing above their level, but willing to do whatever is required to stop their opposition. Although I didn't see their first game, I expect that they did the same against Colombia - hence the red card. And Like you say Costa Rica also have a few fast and skilled players of their own, so will draw their fair share of cards against this dodgy Argie defense - noticeably the lad Campbell who is an excellent ball runner at just 19 yrs old. Have to agree with the posts above regarding the inclusion of Gago. Having played so little over the last season, how he comes into such a crucial game is beyond me. Think we could see an absolute boilover here in Argentina if they don't score early, and if it's still 0-0 by the 60th minute the stadium may start to turn against them. And in any case Costa Rica have the ability to strike on the break with their pacy attackers, so I think I'd rather risk putting a few coins on 0-0, 0-1, 1-1 sought of result then backing Argentina @1.16!!! Also the AH on Costa Rica +2.25 looks very nice. The money is just pouring in for Argentina, so I'm going to hold off till closer to kick-off and could get +2.5. :D

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July Just thought I would mention that Costa Rica are managed by an Argentinian. I don't know how much that would influence your bets if any, but is worth knowing anyway. As much as I would love to lay the Argies here considering how awful they've been, the question I ask myself is; can this tournament possibly afford Argentina not to qualify? I don't think so. It would be a huge disaster for everyone involved, including sponsors etc. Maybe I sound too much like a conspiracy theorist, but I can't possibly oppose Argentina in this situation and will probably look to the correct score market for some value. Recommendation: Back Argentina to win 3-0 @ 7.2 with Betfair

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July Davie Argentina don't need to win tonight. As long as Argentina doesn't lose tonight, Paraguay winning or not is what will decide who goes through to the next round. So I'd dearly love a draw here to immediately jump on laying a Paraguay victory for everything I have in my account. :)

Just thought I would mention that Costa Rica are managed by an Argentinian. I don't know how much that would influence your bets if any' date=' but is worth knowing anyway. [/quote'] From what I've read in reports and match previews, etc, many think that La Volpe has Batista's number. Costa Rica also drew 0-0 with Argentina in a friendly in March, albeit with a different squad, but the feeling is that it's not the players that matter so much as that LaVolpe knows how to play against Batista's sides. There's bad blood between the two of them, going back to comments Batista made back in 2006 and 2007 when La Volpe was managing at club level with Boca and then Velez.

Davie Argentina don't need to win tonight. As long as Argentina doesn't lose tonight' date=' Paraguay winning or not is what will decide who goes through to the next round. So I'd dearly love a draw here to immediately jump on laying a Paraguay victory for everything I have in my account. :)[/quote'] erm not quite sure what youre on about, paraguay arent even in this group as colombia and costa rica both beat bolivia, argentina need to win or theyre out

Sorry if it's confusing, I am working on UK time so your game above will be in the early hours of Wednesday morning. Taking one in the game tonight. Highest Scoring Half - 2nd Half @ 5/4 Coral I agree with the general opinion that things could get nervy for Argentina tonight, I think Costa Rica have enough about them to frustrate this Argentina attack, which wouldn't be difficult on first two showings but the ability is there on paper. Given it's likely to take a while for Argentina to break them down I am basing part of this bet that there is at most 1 goal before HT. If Argentina go in at 2 up then we could well see there better side with the pressure off and i'd still feel this would have a chance, Costa Rica would have to look to attack and this Argentina side have the ability to pick you off when they're playing well. I think it's pretty likely we see more goals in the 2nd half here.
:clap Followed this excellent piece of advice, went large and thought I was burst - Argentina had 2 excellent chances on the first half before scoring in injury time just before the break. Thankfully came out the traps strongly 2nd half. nice one. :clap

Argentina vs Costa Rica - (Asian Total Cards) Over 5 @ 1.90 - Bet365 2pts So, Argentina need a win but a draw will be enough for Costa Rica. This is the kind of game I like to get involved in the cards market for. I can't be having any of this "they have to win tonight and will" etc. They've been a right shambles from the get-go and the outright odds are ridiculous. Anyway, the ref for this game is Victor Huga Rivera of Peru and he isn't shy with his cards. I don't think there's been a game where he hasn't flashed a yellow. The lad upfront for CR is tricky and will give the Argentina absolute nightmares tonight. I think we will see at least 5 cards here with the stakes at play for both sides to qualify for the next round in 2nd place.
6 yellows. :ok

6 yellows. :ok
One in the 89th minute and one with the very last blow of the whistle :ok Good old Lavezzi. On the park five minutes and manages to hit the post, get booked for a stupid challenge in injury time and subsequently get himself suspended for the quarter-finals.

Just thought I would mention that Costa Rica are managed by an Argentinian. I don't know how much that would influence your bets if any, but is worth knowing anyway. As much as I would love to lay the Argies here considering how awful they've been, the question I ask myself is; can this tournament possibly afford Argentina not to qualify? I don't think so. It would be a huge disaster for everyone involved, including sponsors etc. Maybe I sound too much like a conspiracy theorist, but I can't possibly oppose Argentina in this situation and will probably look to the correct score market for some value. Recommendation: Back Argentina to win 3-0 @ 7.2 with Betfair
Good call.
I reckon the handicap should be fine, but I can't bring myself to do it, not even the +3.5. This Argy sides been poor, but with some of the players they have, I'm just not comfortable opposing them. Instead, for fun, I'll have a go at the 0-0 @ 17.00 (Bet365).
Bit surprised it was three, but that was the problem, it was always a possibility.

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July Chile have been a class apart from essentially every team in this Copa America so far. Peru have been their usual steady self; nothing much to shout about, but consistent and difficult to beat. Both teams have already qualified because of the ridiculous nature of this tournament where the two best third-placed finishers also qualify alongside the top two from each group. It is worth noting that whoever finishes second in this group will play Argentina in the Quarter-finals, so both teams have plenty of motivation to finish top of the group. For this reason, I expect the classier team to prevail, and will back them at odds of 8/11. However, if getting involved, I would recommend a small back of 0-0 to cover your bet. 3 of Peru's last 5 matches have finished 0-0 and they're unlikely to deviate from their normal way of playing tonight. They'll try to keep it tight and attempt to sneak a 1-0 win I suspect. Recommendation: Back Chile to win @ 8/11 with Coral, Small stakes back 0-0 @ 10.0 with Betfair.

Re: Copa America > Tuesday 12th July Chile - Peru draw @ 3.81 pinnacle Both sides are equal first with 4 points, with both teams drawing 1-1 with Uruguay, while they also beat Mexico (Chile 2-1 and Peru 1-0). Neither wish to finish 3rd in the group as they are likely to face one of the better sides in the next round, provided Uruguay win by at least 2 goals, so expect him to start conservatively and look to gain at least a point here. Neither side will be looking to lose the game, so can see this ending in a draw. Uruguay -1.5 @ 2.21 pinnacle Uruguay have drawn their first two game when much more was expected of them, while Mexico lost both of their games to Chile and Peru. Expect Uruguay here to step it up as they will be looking to firstly win this game, to finish at least second in the group, and if Chile and Peru draw in the earlier game, then they will need at least 2 goals to top the group, and thus avoid one of the stronger teams in the next round.