** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Copa America > Thursday 7th July

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July I think the pertinent question here is will the favourites underachieve as much in round two? Always risky opposing a side like Argentina, and maybe Aguero may provide the spark they missed against Bolivia. On the other hand Colombia are a solid side and AH +1.5 @ 1.68 may be just about acceptable. In regards to the other game, I think initially I'd be wary about backing Bolivia to win, as being a huge underdog, like they were against Argy, is one thing, but they may actually find it harder being the favourite. Unders would be my first thought here, with a 1-0 win to Bolivia the most likely outcome.

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July

The only change from the Argentina line-up vs Bolivia will be Zabaleta for Rojo. :ok
I think we'll probably see a few changes by Batista here. Would expect to see Lavezzi dropped and Di Maria brought in. Maybe even Aguero to start in place of Tevez. If Argentina thought breaking down Bolivia was hard, wait till they face Colombia. I expect to see plenty of bad fouls and potential red cards in this game :@ . Probably a 1-0 to Argentina, with a Messi free kick to win it or something. Won't be pretty...but think Argentina may do just enough.

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July I'm happy to take Colombia on the +1.25 line. They were far from imperious against Costa Rica but as with plenty of these sides in the tournament, they are perhaps not best suited to keeping the ball and patiently breaking down sides. When I watched them in their warm up matches they played quickly from back to front. They got the win they needed and with the draw in the other match will go into this match feeling more comfortable. Their style may well suit playing Argentina more as they can let them have more of the ball and try to strike on the counter. Personally I wouldn't be that scared about letting Argentina have the ball. Their midfield is not good enough to control and threaten effectively with the ball. They obviously have ridiculous options up front but Bolivia shut them down somewhat effectively. Colombia have good defensive options. I'm quite sure that with a focussed performance they can frustrate this Argentina side. Argentina carry all the pressure and must come out firing but this should also play into Colombia's hands somewhat. In sum I expect Colombia to play a focussed match based on counter-attacking. I don't really like the Argentina D and am quite sure Colombia can ruffle some feathers at that end. The counter-attacking play could in the end not pan out and Argentina may well get on their grind and 'click'. That's all ifs and buts. I do however fancy Colombia to get a result and will back them on an appealing line. Colombia +1.25 - 1.85 - 6 points - Bet365

I think we'll probably see a few changes by Batista here. Would expect to see Lavezzi dropped and Di Maria brought in. Maybe even Aguero to start in place of Tevez. If Argentina thought breaking down Bolivia was hard, wait till they face Colombia. I expect to see plenty of bad fouls and potential red cards in this game :@ . Probably a 1-0 to Argentina, with a Messi free kick to win it or something. Won't be pretty...but think Argentina may do just enough.
No. That is the only change.

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July After a disappointing round 1 of betting for me, I'm hoping to get on the right track in this competition with round 2. One thing we saw is that every team will fight and that the underdogs really proved to be great bets. Will things change in round two? We will see, I guess. One thing for sure is, no team should be underestimated in this Copa America. Bolivia vs Costa Rica: Very interesting match. I can see a draw definitely. I don't really know if Bolivia is favorites to win this one or not, remember they recently lost a friendly match with Mexico U22 1-0. Defensibly we saw that Bolivia was strong, offensively we didn't get to see too much from them vs Argentina. Costa Rica prior to the red card was looking very equal to Colombia and I thought also defended well throughout the match, even when they were down to 10 men. In attack they weren't too good either though, but again, they were one man down. Everything looks very equal between these two teams and I can see a low scoring match for sure. Maybe a draw or slender win for either side. I went with the two following bets for this game: Under 2.5 goals @ 1.61 bet365 and Costa Rica +1.5,2 @ 1.20 bet365 Argentina vs Colombia: Tough match this one for both sides. On one side we have Argentina who simply have to win this match. I think the pressure could work against them here, but they also have amazing players which can change the match in a second. No changes other than Zabaleta for Rojo in Argentina. I thought he would play Di Maria or maybe Aguero instead of Lavezzi, but I guess not. For me at least this is good for Colombia. Colombia could score on the counter if Argentina aren't careful and Argentina's defense really is anything but solid at the moment, meanwhile Colombia's defense is pretty good, but don't expect them to play like Bolivia, they will probably be a bit more open and this will favor Argentina. I'm hesitant to bet on this game, on the one hand I know Argentina can hurt Colombia and are capable of scoring a couple, but I also know Colombia could hurt Argentina and also have good defenders. I like think I'm going to go with under 55 points bookings bet. Only one game went over 5 bookings and it was due to Costa Rica being very dirty and also a referee that was very happy and eager to stick his hands in his pocket. Low stakes here though. Argentina vs Colombia = (card index)Up to and including 55 points

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July Colombia + 2 @ 1.70 (Sportingbet) It's weird to look at Argentina and not expect a comfortable win, but I don't. The Bolivia performance was poor, changes need to be made, but Batista has already said he's gonna give the same guys another chance, which I believe will cause big problems. Colombia have a good defence and if Argy aren't clicking, should be able to cope with their attack. I'd expect things to be level 'til late, then similar to the last game, Batista will utilise the plethora of benched talent he has to nick the win. Edit: Tevez last scorer and 2-1 @ 34.00 (Hills) :ok

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July Argentina should be desperate to win against Colombia in next match. Although they weren't impressive in first match could prove to be some kind of difference here. Still Columbia is much unknown after first match near-ow win with Costa Rica U22 team. Only real question is if Argentinian coach is capable to put his players in the mood to play like a team. Until now it is hard to say if he is the man for the job. On first glance it looks like Argentina to win at least but much depends on: will players be able to play like a real team...

Hmmm...very unusual that he would stick with Lavezzi here. I can understand giving Tevez a 2nd chance, but Lavezzi has never performed in the national team and was very poor against Bolivia. I am beginning to like Ultravires suggestion of Colombia +1.25 more and more.

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July International Soccer 2011 Overall 6W-4L-4P +0.30 units (60.00%) Colombia +1.5 (-131) to win 1 unit @ 5dimes Based on what I saw against Bolivia the other night...no reason to think they win Argentina wins by one. They've got some gaping holes in there defense so its possible they might give one up too.

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July Argentina -1.5 @ 2.25 pinnacle After their 1-1 draw with Bolivia, expect Argentina to come out firing as they need a win to stay on course to top their group. Look to see much more from Messi and Tevez as they were pretty quiet in the first game, and would not be suprised that Di Maria features sometime in this game as he has the skill pace to get in behind this good Colombian defence. Argentina were pretty rusty and their defence had some problems with the Bolivians, but now they should be more comfortable given what is at stake. Colombia did enough to get by a poor Costa Rica side 1-0, but they face a much better side here. With the home ground advantage, expect Argentina to attack from the start and put relentless pressure on the Colombians, and dount that they can hold them out.

Colombia +1.25 - 1.85 - 6 points - WIN
It was actually a very comfortable night for Colombia on the whole. It is unbelievable that they didn't score and definitely should have won the match. I thought they looked pretty tricky at times and it was certainly a positive performance. Argentina...:zzz

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July I'd like to ask you about your thoughts on 2 things. First (in general) - why you think almost all of them go down after the 1st half? i bet for total under 2,5 for Uruguay - Peru and was ready to face the poor destiny sending rays of diarrhea to the referees after the 1st half. But daaaaamn what was that in the 2nd? and all the other games maybe except Chile-Mexico (didn't watch it, mb Chile just got lucky to score twice). Second - what was that from Colombia tonight?. How come pro players can't score twice during an hour when the goal is empty? Did (actually didn't) they do that on purpose?

Colombia + 2 @ 1.70 (Sportingbet) It's weird to look at Argentina and not expect a comfortable win, but I don't. The Bolivia performance was poor, changes need to be made, but Batista has already said he's gonna give the same guys another chance, which I believe will cause big problems. Colombia have a good defence and if Argy aren't clicking, should be able to cope with their attack. I'd expect things to be level 'til late, then similar to the last game, Batista will utilise the plethora of benched talent he has to nick the win. Edit: Tevez last scorer and 2-1 @ 34.00 (Hills) :ok
Always surprising when such a big side continues to disappoint. Upshot though is they're surely nailed on to do away with Costa Rica. Right?! :loon

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July I was pretty pleased too. Argentina will surely have to change things around for the next match. Aguero is a banker to play instead of Lavezzi. It's the midfield that really needs shaking up because they aren't able to retain possession and apply pressure. So one of the midfield 3 could face the chop. D-wise they look so shakey. Burdisso and Milito provided two of the worst passes you'll ever see while under mild pressure but got away with it. There is no cohesion in their play and if Colombia were on it they could have won 2-0 comfortably. So do they stick largely with the same players and hope they pull their fingers out? Or shake it up and risk the new players not clicking straight away?

I was pretty pleased too. Argentina will surely have to change things around for the next match. Aguero is a banker to play instead of Lavezzi. It's the midfield that really needs shaking up because they aren't able to retain possession and apply pressure. So one of the midfield 3 could face the chop. D-wise they look so shakey. Burdisso and Milito provided two of the worst passes you'll ever see while under mild pressure but got away with it. There is no cohesion in their play and if Colombia were on it they could have won 2-0 comfortably. So do they stick largely with the same players and hope they pull their fingers out? Or shake it up and risk the new players not clicking straight away?
Aguero and Di Maria have to start for me. Everyone can see Lavezzi is not working and Tevez is just invisible - probably thinking about how he can get out of Manchester. I don't know what the solution is for Argentina in midfield. There really isn't a player in the squad that can solve the problems they have with distribution. What could help though is get Mascherano out of there. He is only good at destroying, and has never been good at passing the ball. At Liverpool he would just collect it then pass short to Alonso. At Barca he does the same with Xavi, but is often overlooked by the far more effecitive passer in Busquets. Maybe Masch could help bolster Argentina's defense as he has done on a few occassions for Barca. Certainly better then the error prone pair of Burdisso and Milito. Speaking of which how Milito is in this team I have no idea. He played like 8 times for Barca last season, and on the occassions he did, he was always giving the opposition good chanes to score. So many problems for Batista to solve, and no time to do it. Next games team sheet should be interesting.

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July International Soccer 2011 Overall 7W-4L-4P +1.30 units (63.63%) Costa Rica +0.5 (-132) to win 1 unit @ 5dimes I see these teams pretty even. Think this ends a 0-0 draw, but playing it safe, most CR will sneak one in. This has been a tournament of upsets so far. CR is a young team and has some heart. Bolivia is no juggernaut.

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July BOLIVIA Vs Costa Rica - Copa America stake on Bolivia win. Reason: Bolivia caused a upset versus Argentina on the teams opening fixture. Bolivia will not only be mentally boosted from their performance, they have a major advantage down to experience with Edivaldo Rojas causing too much of an attacking threat for a young unexperienced Costa Rica squad who due to having Randall Brenes sent off in their game Vs Colombia are now losing one of their most experienced players for this game. I see it being a very close affair but one Bolivia will come out of winning. 3 points today will see them qualify for the knockout stage so they should be up for it! Predicted scoreline - Bolivia 2 - 1 Costa Rica.

Re: Copa America > Thursday 7th July Bolivia - Costa Rica over 2.5 @ 2.21 pinnacle Bolivia achieved a good result in their first game of the Copa America with a 1-1 draw with Argentina as they showed some attcking intent which troubled the Argentinian side. Now with Argentina drawing again yesterday, they will be looking to get a win here and put themselves in a good position to go through in the last group game with Colombia. As for Costa Rica, though they lost 1-0 to Colmbia, they played much of the game with 10 men and had their chances to equalise, so they too will be much more attaking in this game, as they seek a win to keep their chances alive of progressing through. While all the games so far have gone under, with both sides in a position where a draw may not be enough, they like them to be less conservative and be more attack minded, which should open the game and see more chances, and even goals eventuate.

Bolivia vs Costa Rica: Under 2.5 goals @ 1.61 bet365 and Costa Rica +1.5,2 @ 1.20 bet365
Both bets won:beer Things got complicated after Bolivia went two men down, I was a bit worried Costa Rica would score another, and if they wouldn't have sat back and waited for the clock to run out they probably would have. Great day for me!