** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 4-10 July

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Sport Tennis Event Santonja - Lino Selection Santonja Strength 10/10 Date 06/07/2011 Bookmaker/Price 888Sport @ 2.20 Reasoning Two Spanish players at the court. Both are experience players, Santonja(82), Lino(81). Surface rating for Santonja is 0.71, for Lino is 0.70. 46 is the best position for Santonja in WTA rank, 40 for Lino. Very similar players, really. In this year Santonja played against Lino at the Acapulco clay courts and won QF in three sets, like today been underdog. Arantxa Parra Santonja has won 4 of last 5 when priced as Underdog ($2.00 to $2.999). Santonja have more stable serve than Lino and maybe this is key for the win. Faird odds here is 1.75 or something. --------- Sport Tennis Event Young - Kamke Selection Young Strength 10/10 Date 06/07/2011 Bookmaker/Price Bet365 @ 2.10 Reasoning Why Donald Young is underdog in this match? I don't understand it, wrong odds. Ok, Kamke is better in ATP ranking in this moment, but ranking not playing at the court. Young have more advantages before this game. Young is from USA, play at home, take big support from the crowd, no doubts in this. Kamke is not good player on grass courts, I see first match in this tournament for Germany and don't looked good. Home boy win!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July

Might go for a double on the doubles tomorrow ;) In Bastad, Spanish duo Nuria Vives & Arantxa Parra Santonja take on Arantxa Rus and Anastasia Yakimova. In Newport, Marcelo Melo and Andre Sa go up against Alex Bogomolov and Dustin Brown. Double is 2.10 at William Hill :hope
Disappointing from Ryan Harrison yesterday thought he would have taken this good opportunity to progress at a home tournament. Generally poor service game from both men, but 6 double faults from Harrison is way too much in a two set match. No luck in the Haas match either, a strong two set win for him. Thankfully my doubles bet came in so only a small loss for me overall in first round matches this week. Will try and make that up going for the following today; Bogomolov Jnr to win – 1.83 at William Hill Ruben Bemelmans win against a higher ranked opponent on Monday was a good start for him, but I’m not sure he’ll be able to up his game again to get past Bogomolov. Having a look at his history on grass he generally struggles with players higher in the rankings. Bogomolov has been consistent enough this year on the grass and I’m hoping he’ll have enough here, although it may be tight. Alona Boderenko to beat Kucova 2-0 1.91 at Stan James - took at these odds but now see they have fallen slighty Boderenko was ruthless in beating her first round opponent 6-0 6-1, and I anticipate another straight sets win here. Kucova is not a terrible clay court player and her win against Mathilde Johansson was impressive but I feel that Mondays win may be a real kick start for Boderenko on her comeback from injury as he looks to move back up the rankings. She was a top 40 player before she got injured at the end of 2010. Also like the look of Hercog vs Rezai and Rochus vs Mahut having 3 sets and Isner to beat Clement 2-0, but will take a bit longer to consider these before making a last minute decision whether to put on. :hope

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Agree with the Bogomolov Jr bet but have missed the price so will leave the 1.74 at Pinnacle alone. Gutted as he was as high as 10/11 when prices first came out... A story of missed opportunities for me so far with that and convincing myself not to pull the trigger on Clement and Ebden in 1st round matches :eyes

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Olivier Rochus vs Nicolas Mahut 1.5/5pts N. Mahut to win - 2.09 with Pinnacle When i first looked at this match-up i had Mahut down as Evens to win so getting a bit over is good enough to go with. This didn't need a great deal of research as both have been around long enough and we know they are both very capable on grass. Rochus has had some good matches lately but so has Mahut and i think the latter has been a bit unlucky with the draws - hence not getting very far at Wimbledon and Queen's. Isner is a lot harder to break down than Rochus when on form and Mahut met the American at Wimbledon when he was firing those big bombs in regularly. The same can be said for the Verdasco match. He faced an in-form Tursonov at the tournament in between and took him to 3 sets. Now, i think this is more in his favour. Rochus hasn't got the biggest serve or the most power from the baseline but he does mix it up well. That should allow Mahut to be much more comfortable and when in the longer rallies he won't have the problem of being blown off court by the likes of Verdasco, Isner and Tursonov. He's a good enough mover on grass to cope with the variation of Rochus and if getting first serves in should be able to pick up a lot of cheap points. He destroyed Decoud in the first round, returning well enough to get plenty of break points. Rochus was taken to 3 sets by a player usually less capable than Mahut so if both roll-up here playing the same type of stuff as their first round games i would favour the Frenchman. It should be close, hence the stake, but i am willing to side with Mahut at the prices.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Few selections for me as well, yet not getting involved that much until quarterfinals or semies. Olivier Rochus > Nicolas Mahut. 1.88 @ Pinnacle (5/10) Rochus has got 4-1 H2H record against Mahut (four matches have been played on Challenger circuit) and I can see where that is coming from. Mahut all about serve and with these two you have to feel that Rochus will have more chances to break if any only because he can return better and has got some baseline skills. Rochus was in the final of this event last year going down against Fish. Prior to that he took Djokovic to five sets in Wimbledon. Pick Rochus here. Caroline Wozniacki vs Sofia Arvidsson. Under 17.5 games. 2.00 @ Bet365 (6/10) I think this one will over in no time. Arvidsson has got powerful game which you think might trouble Wozniacki but this won't be the case. Arvidsson is error prone and can make lots of silly errors and her current form suggest nothing else. Wozniacki has covered this line in all of her last five matches against Arvidsson. The only time it was overs, was in 2006 in Memphis indoors. That's the favorite surface of Arvidsson and Wozniacki was nobody back then. 6-3, 6-2 will do and I don't think there will be more than that. Johanna Larsson > Vera Dushevina. 1.68 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Two braindead players in this one means better to stay away but I'll take my chances with Larsson. She's definitely a better player on clay whereas Dushevina prefers hard courts. With Larsson it's all about the right conditions and mood. She crushed Ivanovic at the French. Saw that one and Ivanovic was not playing bad tennis on that day. The reason I'm backing Larsson here is that she's playing at home and that is a huge thing for motivation. She destroyed Kudryavtseva in round 1 and the same thing has to happen against Dushevina as well.

Caroline Wozniacki vs Sofia Arvidsson. Under 17.5 games. 2.00 @ Bet365 (6/10)
Well, I'd say that this one requires rather brave heart :lol After what I have seen yesterday in Woz/Cornet match - Woz has been broken 4 times in the first and 3 times in the second set, result was 64 64, bookies' line was 17.5 games too - I would not touch it under any circumstance. Good luck with your bet, anyway. I'll follow Rochus-Mahut, which seems to be a no-brainer. :hope

Well, I'd say that this one requires rather brave heart :lol After what I have seen yesterday in Woz/Cornet match - Woz has been broken 4 times in the first and 3 times in the second set, result was 64 64, bookies' line was 17.5 games too - I would not touch it under any circumstance. Good luck with your bet, anyway. :hope
It was but Cornet doesn't wet pants as much as Arvidsson does. I can see 6-1 set easily in that match.

Olivier Rochus > Nicolas Mahut. 1.88 @ Pinnacle (5/10) Johanna Larsson > Vera Dushevina. 1.68 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Caroline Wozniacki vs Sofia Arvidsson. Under 17.5 games. 2.00 @ Bet365 (6/10)
WIN WIN VOID Almost perfect today! Both winners were very ugly matches to watch, Wozniacki looked terrible prior retiring with right shoulder injury. Still felt she would have won the 2nd set by at least 3 games

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July One for Thursday Lourdes Dominguez-Lino > Johanna Larsson. 1.85 @ Bwin (6/10) Watched Larsson against Dushevina on Wednesday. The Swede was really poor and won only because Dushevina was even worse. That was very tough match and would have taken a lot out of Larsson. Lino is very good clay court player and will be a massive test for Johanna. If she plays the same she performed yesterday, she'll lose. There has to be huge improvement which I can not see happening. Lino destroyed her in Aussie Open in January 6-2, 6-1 and should have an advantage on clay as well.

Bogomolov Jnr to win – 1.83 at William Hill Alona Boderenko to beat Kucova 2-0 1.91 at Stan James - Also like the look of Hercog vs Rezai and Rochus vs Mahut having 3 sets and Isner to beat Clement 2-0, but will take a bit longer to consider these before making a last minute decision whether to put on. :hope
Ended up taking all of these today with 3/5 of them coming in, just about giving me profit for the days play. :ok Had a look at tomorrows match ups and the only one that jumped out is the Dominguez -Lino win that Psycho mentioned above, so have taken that at odds of 1.83 with bet365 You can get 3.0 for a 2-0 Dominguez - Lino win which are very good odds given the result at the Austrailian Open, but i'm going to not be too greedy and just stick with the outright win. :hope

One for Thursday Lourdes Dominguez-Lino > Johanna Larsson. 1.85 @ Bwin (6/10) Watched Larsson against Dushevina on Wednesday. The Swede was really poor and won only because Dushevina was even worse. That was very tough match and would have taken a lot out of Larsson. Lino is very good clay court player and will be a massive test for Johanna. If she plays the same she performed yesterday, she'll lose. There has to be huge improvement which I can not see happening. Lino destroyed her in Aussie Open in January 6-2, 6-1 and should have an advantage on clay as well.
Dominguez is on Betfair @ 2.22 :loon

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July John Isner vs Alex Bogomolov Jr. 2pts J. Isner (-3.5 games) to win - 1.96 with Pinnacle Isner has played some good stuff already this week and i am happy to side with him once again here with a relatively small stake. I was expecting 5/6 for this so the price is nice. The American won an impressive 80% of his shots from his first serve against Clement and to win that match in straight sets is great form coming into this. That's because Clement is more than capable on grass and, although he is not as good as he used to be, the bandana-wearing veteran isn't too different in difficulty to todays opponent when it comes to trying to break him down. Isner got a good test there and came through it in style. Bogomolov has recorded good results lately but none have been against anyone as comfortable as Isner on grass or against anyone with a powerful, consistent first serve. He isn't the biggest server himself and that is where i see him having problems here because he can't afford to get into too many prolonged baseline rallies as, the way the big man is currently playing, he will probably be blown off court more often than not. I expect Isner to win this well enough but there is always the chance of a tie break with him so the stake has been lowered because of that risk.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July One single bet for me today, in the Davis Cup ... - Juan Martin Del Potro -9.5 games (v Mikhail Kukushkin) @ 2.06 with Pinnacle 5pts Massive ask for Kukushkin to come to Argentina, on clay, and compete with Del Potro. I think the Kazakhs are goosed in all their matches but this is the one that could be annihilation. Kukushkin's not got the weapons to really trouble Del Potro, nor the defence to deal with the Argentine's groundies. Clay is not his best surface anyway - he's more effective on a quicker surface indoors - and his season has been average at best. Playing Argentina away is a nightmare. It's always a partisan atmosphere and that won't change in Buenos Aires. I think there's even more significance with Del Potro making his return to the Davis Cup fray; he'll want to make a big impression. In terms of the dynamic of the tie, Monaco should beat Golubev, so we could be looking at a 2-0 lead for Argentina if results go according to plan. That's a big incentive for Del Potro to do the business. The Argentine showed signs of being back to his best at Wimbledon and at home, against a player who doesn't appear to have the necessary tools to cause him issues, we could be in for a bit of a thrashing. Good enough odds, so keep the stake low, as the line is on the big side. It's also on the surmountable side, however. :hope

Dominguez is on Betfair @ 2.22 :loon
Stuff like this happens. Had I not taken that one early would have definitely stayed away from Lino. The movement of odds was suggesting this match will be one you should not get involved with. And no surprises, really. Lino managed to throw it away in the end. Guess, even Larsson does not know herself how she was able to get out that. Billion chances for a double break in the decider for Lino, does not go for it and then predictably fails to serve it out. That's what you call perfectly managed match. So Lino gets in the famous b-list. :puke

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Unbelievable this Arvidsson vs Martinez-Sanchez match :lol. Arvidsson saving 6 matchpoints in the second set and winning in the tie-break of the 3rd set. No way Arvidsson could have won this match, no way. Yet she did. Unbelievable. I am really glad I did not touch this one.

- Juan Martin Del Potro -9.5 games (v Mikhail Kukushkin) @ 2.06 with Pinnacle 5pts WIN
+5.3pts for the day. +12.2pts for the week. Del Potro absolutely crushed Kukushkin. Argentina in cruise control for that tie.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Olivier Rochus vs Matthew Ebden 3pts O. Rochus to win 2-0 - 6/5 with Boylesports If this price is available come tomorrow afternoon i will be amazed. For me, it should be Evens so to see this was a nice surprise. Rochus came through a tricky match in the last round in straight sets and against Ebden i see him doing the same again. His form has been ok recently, nothing special, but in this tournament he hasn't been tested enough to have to up his game. Against a player like Ebden his mix of volleys, drop shots and long rallies should work very well as the type of opponent the Aussie is used to playing doesn't have that variation. The experience should also be a major advantage. The last time Ebden played anyone like Rochus was earlier this year when he was destroyed by Rainer Schuettler in straight sets. I have been left kicking myself after both of his matches this week as i convinced myself not to side with him in any shape or form but i reckon this is the end of the road. He will no doubt come into this with good confidence but facing Rochus on grass is a massive step up. Rochus has a good chance of going all the way here and i think he will go through to the next round with a 2-0 victory. EDIT: FORGOT TO ADD STAKE

Stuff like this happens. Had I not taken that one early would have definitely stayed away from Lino. The movement of odds was suggesting this match will be one you should not get involved with. And no surprises' date=' really. Lino managed to throw it away in the end. Guess, even Larsson does not know herself how she was able to get out that. Billion chances for a double break in the decider for Lino, does not go for it and then predictably fails to serve it out. That's what you call perfectly managed match. So Lino gets in the famous b-list. :puke[/quote'] Psycho, I didn't have work today so watched the match on my computer. Larsson played really poorly, Lino even poorer. First set to Larsson. Odds for Lino, in-play now 7/4 @ WillHill. I remembered reading here how poorly Larsson had been in the previous match so I thought of taking Lino in-play at 7/4 and just as I was about to pull the trigger, I realised the match was taking place is Sweden, Larsson is Swedish and something told me to stay away. The 2nd set was won by Lino and I was kicking myself for being what I thought was unnecessarily cautious and dogmatic. However, strangely enough even after winning the second set, Lino, who started as a heavy favourite was only 11/10 to win the match. I thought that was very, very strange. Anyways, Lino got the early break and looked liked she'd win the game and I was still chiding myself for not taking her when I had the chance when suddenly, serving for the match at 5-4, Lino gets broken, then broken again and loses the final set and match 7-5! Throughout the match I couldn't help but be horrified at how poorly Larsson was playing, yet she won. Now, I'm not one to bandy about the ''f'' word but two Swedes, both playing apalling tennis managed to reach the semi-finals of a tournament in Sweden. Maybe that's just the WTA or maybe we just like being naive.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Hi guys, 1 pick for the Davis Cup match today: MONFILS TO DEFEAT KOHLSCHREIBER @ 1.58 on pinnaclesports On faster surfaces it could of been an equal match but on clay its difficult to see how Kohlschreiber (who is struggling with injury and form) can handle Monfils in a 5 sets match.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Again not much to interest me today with the exception of one match in Budapest between Irina-Camelia Begu & Estrella Cabeza Candela. I think this will be quite an uneven match up in favour of Begu. Her game on clay is very strong shown by the fact that 10 out of the 13 singles finals she has ever got to have been on the clay, including most recently in Marbella in April 2011. She played Candela at that tournament in the second round and beat her 7-5 6-0. Estrella Cabeza Candela herself has also had successes on clay recently this year in Barcelona where she also managed to reach the qtr finals. However I think today she comes up against an opponant who has been very much on the rise over the last year and the gulf is likely to be too much as it was in Marbella. Candela to win under 10.5 games - 1.95 at bwin :hope

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Sofia Arvidsson +3.5 vs Johanna Larsson. 1.85 @ Bwin (4/10) Neihter Arvidsson nor Larsson should have got this far but they did because of incredible silly opponents. Larsson has been more lucky than Arvidsson I think and Sofia has got a bit more on serve. Both will be very tired and don't want to rule out three sets in which case this handicap should work. Anyway can't see Larsson with her current form to win by 4 games or more. Polona Hercog -3 vs Barbora Zahlavova Strycova. 1.79 @ Pinnacle (6/10) Out of these two Hercog is typical clay court tennis player. Zahlavova got this far due to lucky draw. Beating Pennetta is no big deal because the Italian is out of for for the whole year. Zahlavova really doesn't possess any weapons that would hurt player like Hercog. She's a tall girl, can serve which is not the case with Zahlavova. H2H is 2-0 and Hercog should improve these stats by getting 3d win. Chosing to play handicap here as 3 games is a doable thing for sure. :hope

Again not much to interest me today with the exception of one match in Budapest between Irina-Camelia Begu & Estrella Cabeza Candela. I think this will be quite an uneven match up in favour of Begu. Her game on clay is very strong shown by the fact that 10 out of the 13 singles finals she has ever got to have been on the clay, including most recently in Marbella in April 2011. She played Candela at that tournament in the second round and beat her 7-5 6-0. Estrella Cabeza Candela herself has also had successes on clay recently this year in Barcelona where she also managed to reach the qtr finals. However I think today she comes up against an opponant who has been very much on the rise over the last year and the gulf is likely to be too much as it was in Marbella. Candela to win under 10.5 games - 1.95 at bwin :hope
Have you got your opponents the wrong way around at the end there, i.e, should it not be Begu to win in under 10 from your description?

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July I dont think its possible to win a tennis match in under ten games. The bets for Candela to win less than 10.5 games in the entire match, i.e 6-4, 6-4 to Begu would bring the bet in. Begu breaks in the second game, good start!

I dont think its possible to win a tennis match in under ten games. The bets for Candela to win less than 10.5 games in the entire match, i.e 6-4, 6-4 to Begu would bring the bet in. Begu breaks in the second game, good start!
Ha! 5-0 as im writing. If she carries this form through into the second, its a foregone conclusion mate.