** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 4-10 July

There's always a bit of a natural comedown when Wimbledon finishes, mainly because a lot of the top players hibernate for a month or two. Even still, the Tour goes on, and there are plenty of betting opportunities to be had. The women are in action in two events this week, on the clay in Bastad (international event) and on the clay of Budapest (also an international event). Bastad's got quite a good line-up, headed by Caroline Wozniacki. Finding out who's in Budapest is nigh on impossible - their website is brutal. I'd expect Agnes Szavay to be defending her crown and a plethora of eastern Europeans to be in attendance. The quirky event at Newport (250 series) is our only main offering for the men, which is played on grass. John Isner heads up a better field than normal for this event, although it lacks strength in depth. Plenty of Challenger events, however, in Pozoblanco (hard), Oberhausen (clay), Schveningen (clay) and San Benedetto (clay). Perhaps the best event takes place at the weekend: the Davis Cup quarter finals. The matches are as follows: - Sweden v Serbia (to be played on an indoor hard court in Halmstad) - Argentina v Kazakhstan (to be played on clay in Buenos Aires) - USA v Spain (to be played on an indoor hard court in Austin) - Germany v France (to be played on clay in Stuttgart) Good luck for the week ahead :ok

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would agree that the field at Newport is certainly much better than in previous years. Isner is the no 1 seed and favourite but I can't see him winning this despite the fact that I feel the top half of the draw is slightly easier than the bottom. Looking at the out-rights I like the look of both Kunitsyn and Karol Beck in the top half (current available at 23.00 and 34.0) and in the bottom half Rochus, Sela and 2nd seed Dimitrov are all strong contenders. Will wait for the first round results and reviews before committing to anything. The each way odds on Kunitsyn and Beck are very interesting to me at the moment though, assuming Beck can get past Isner tomorrow which I feel is possible. As for the first round matches just a couple of small bets from me; Berrer vs Haas - Total sets = 3. 2.20 at William Hill Its great to see Tommy Haas coming back to high level tennis. In his heyday when fit he was very good on the grass. Berrer is not the best on grass but he may have better fitness levels and I see a very even match up here. Will also be going with a double of Bogomolov Jnr and Ryan Harrison both to win 2.8 at Boyle Sports Harrison had a strong Wimbledon, getting through the qualifiers and then beating Dogdig and taking David Ferrer to 5 sets in the second round. I think Harrison has been very much on the rise over the last year or so and will be hoping to show the home fans what he can do. Clement is going on a completely different trajectory to his opponent and I don't feel he will be able to keep up with Harrison here. Zverev had a decent run at Halle in 2010 but since then has done very little on grass. Bogomolov on the other had has been more consistant and has progressed through a couple of rounds at his last couple of grass tournaments, beating the likes of Chardy and Chela. :hope Look forward to hearing other peoples opinions.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July John Isner vs Karol Beck 3pts J. Isner to win 2-0 - Evens with BlueSquare Big price for the straight sets win here. Karol Beck did well in London to get as far as he did but he never beat anyone of any real quality to get there. In fact, he hasn't had any wins this year that make me think he will have enough to cause Isner problems here and there aren't any big weapons within his game - nothing that i would have ahead of the American. Beck will do well to get a look-in when his opponent is serving so will be strugging to get a break nevermind win a set off him. I expected Isner to go further at Wimbledon than he did and i am sure he will have been disappointed with that loss against Almagro too. However, he is coming up against a very average player here and i expect him to have no problems brushing him aside. The stake would have been higher had this not been the week after a Slam but still, it is a strong on.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July

John Isner vs Karol Beck 3pts J. Isner to win 2-0 - Evens with BlueSquare Big price for the straight sets win here. Karol Beck did well in London to get as far as he did but he never beat anyone of any real quality to get there. In fact, he hasn't had any wins this year that make me think he will have enough to cause Isner problems here and there aren't any big weapons within his game - nothing that i would have ahead of the American. Beck will do well to get a look-in when his opponent is serving so will be strugging to get a break nevermind win a set off him. I expected Isner to go further at Wimbledon than he did and i am sure he will have been disappointed with that loss against Almagro too. However, he is coming up against a very average player here and i expect him to have no problems brushing him aside. The stake would have been higher had this not been the week after a Slam but still, it is a strong on.
Be very careful. This guy can play on grass. He reached the third round of Wimbledon this year aged 29, demonstrating his experience and expertise. These ''mickey mouse'' tournaments is where the lower ranking players make their living. I'm not saying Isner can't win, just be careful with the 2-0

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July They've now released the draw for the Budapest Tournament http://www.wtatennis.com/SEWTATour-Archive/posting/2011/578/MDS.pdf No Szavay this year so it gives someone else the chance to win. Its a decent if unspectactular line up. Roberta Vinci is the no 1 seed and having a quick look at the draw I cant see too many obstacles which would stop her getting to the final. One the other side there's 3 strong contenders in Hradecka, Medina Garrigues, Errani and possibly even Begu if she gets a run going. Hard to pick between them. Vinci e/w would be my only outright bet then, will see what the odds come out as first, but not sure how much value will be available given that she's 1st seed anyway. Don't see much to interest me in Bastad either. Wozniacki should have more than enough to see of any challengers here, Rezai, Safarova and Pennetta have all done well here in past but there form on clay this year is relativly poor. A couple of first round matches do interest me, although will require a bit more research before I commit. Martinez Sanchez vs Benesova - the odds seem quite high for Benesova considering that she is seeded 5th here, is 23 places higher in the rankings and has a no worse record on clay this year than her opponent. Can get odds of 2.8 at Boyle Sports for the Benesova win. Worth a small wager possibly ;) I also see the Lucic vs Cristea match up being a tight one. Both women are close to each other in the rankings and have had some decent success on clay this year, and in the two head to heads (both in the last 10 months) its 1 -1. Because of this I feel its well worth considering total sets =3 at 2.2 at skybet.

Be very careful. This guy can play on grass. He reached the third round of Wimbledon this year aged 29' date=' demonstrating his experience and expertise. These ''mickey mouse'' tournaments is where the lower ranking players make their living. I'm not saying Isner can't win, just be careful with the 2-0[/quote'] Yeah, he has an ok record on grass your right but i don't think he has the weapons to trouble someone like Isner for long enough periods. The wins at Wimbledon weren't against the greatest players and Beck hasn't got the best record when he comes up against the higher ranked men. He lost against Harrison in his first match at this tournament last year, 1-6 2-6. I appreciate what your saying but i feel the big man will have too much.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Hi guys, 1 pick for the WTA BASTAD: LARSSON TO DEFEAT KUDRYAVTSEVA @ 1.36 on betfred Playing at home Larsson should be motivated after Wimbledon and she is much more consistent player than Kudryavtseva who always makes a lot of unforced errors. Two easy wins for Larsson in two previous head to head matches.

Be very careful. This guy can play on grass. He reached the third round of Wimbledon this year aged 29' date=' demonstrating his experience and expertise. These ''mickey mouse'' tournaments is where the lower ranking players make their living. I'm not saying Isner can't win, just be careful with the 2-0[/quote'] actually considering the price for an Isner outright win I think value is with Beck.its a pity I dont like betting against players when they play in their home competitions otherwise I would be all over Beck.

Hi guys, 1 pick for the WTA BASTAD: LARSSON TO DEFEAT KUDRYAVTSEVA @ 1.36 on betfred Playing at home Larsson should be motivated after Wimbledon and she is much more consistent player than Kudryavtseva who always makes a lot of unforced errors. Two easy wins for Larsson in two previous head to head matches.
I agree, even Sofia the other swede should win her match but I hate betting against Russian women and the other thing for 1.36 in a WTA matchup that doesnt involve someone who is not in the top 10 is risky.I would double it or triple it with other bets and put low stakes!

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July One bet for me today ... stakes should be fairly modest in the early part of the week. Weighing up another but will decide later when to strike. - Alex Bogomolov Jnr -3.5 games (v Mischa Zverev) @ 1.806 with Pinnacle 5pts Good time to side with Bogomolov Jnr. He's in decent nick, having made R3 of Wimbledon, on the back of a successful spell on the American hard courts. It seems this is the year that he's found his confidence and form, and I think he'll be far too strong for Zverev. The German just doesn't seem to be able to get going at present. He's had a career blighted by injuries and can't seem to buy a win at the moment. I fear for him against someone like Bogomolov Jnr, who will dig in and make Zverev work for all his points. The German's been serving erratically recently too, and tends to save his best tennis for tournaments in his home country. He's also not one to put up a huge fight when the chips are down and if Bogomolov Jnr gets his nose in front, I can't see a way back for Zverev. :hope

Hi guys, 1 pick for the WTA BASTAD: LARSSON TO DEFEAT KUDRYAVTSEVA @ 1.36 on betfred Playing at home Larsson should be motivated after Wimbledon and she is much more consistent player than Kudryavtseva who always makes a lot of unforced errors. Two easy wins for Larsson in two previous head to head matches.
I also took Larsson @ 1.44 bet365 yesterday. The odd today have fallen to 1.25.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Decided to take a small punt on this one ... - Over 23 games AH (Dustin Brown v Matthias Bachinger) @ 1.99 with Pinnacle 3pts This ought to be a fairly close match. Both men know each other well having met three times, and both men come into it with the right attributes for an overs match. Brown's a big serve-and-volleyer, an awkward type of opponent who is hard to get a read on, especially for weaker returners, a category I'd class Bachinger into. By the same token, Bachinger's a decent grass court player. Did well against Monfils at Wimbledon, mainly down to a powerful game that should work well against someone like Brown, who won't dominate rallies. Last time they met, on carpet, they went three sets. Hard to pick a winner but I can see both men cancelling each other out, and therefore creating a long match. I had the line at over 23.5 games, so feel it's a little short in that regard. Small stakes but worth an investment in my eyes. :hope

John Isner vs Karol Beck 3pts J. Isner to win 2-0 - Evens with BlueSquare Big price for the straight sets win here. Karol Beck did well in London to get as far as he did but he never beat anyone of any real quality to get there. In fact, he hasn't had any wins this year that make me think he will have enough to cause Isner problems here and there aren't any big weapons within his game - nothing that i would have ahead of the American. Beck will do well to get a look-in when his opponent is serving so will be strugging to get a break nevermind win a set off him. I expected Isner to go further at Wimbledon than he did and i am sure he will have been disappointed with that loss against Almagro too. However, he is coming up against a very average player here and i expect him to have no problems brushing him aside. The stake would have been higher had this not been the week after a Slam but still, it is a strong on.
My friend, I've been watching the games this afternoon and advise you to reconsider this bet. Heavier favourites like Rochus and Alex Bogomolov have been taken to 3 sets so be please be wary. I'd rather be wrong and have you miss out on some money than be right and have you lose money. I hope you understand my concerns.

My friend, I've been watching the games this afternoon and advise you to reconsider this bet. Heavier favourites like Rochus and Alex Bogomolov have been taken to 3 sets so be please be wary. I'd rather be wrong and have you miss out on some money than be right and have you lose money. I hope you understand my concerns.
Tend to agree but one thing I would say is that Isner is mentally stronger than both of those players you mentioned. My personal preference would be for the handicap as Isner could lose a set and still cover the line (like Bogomolov Jnr) did today. However, my natural instinct is be to leave this one alone - 2.00 is not worth it for straight sets in an event like this. It might come up, but find it hard to see the value. Beck is no mug, and probably would be handier in the rankings if he hadn't messed up his career with doping offences.

Tend to agree but one thing I would say is that Isner is mentally stronger than both of those players you mentioned. My personal preference would be for the handicap as Isner could lose a set and still cover the line (like Bogomolov Jnr) did today. However' date=' my natural instinct is be to leave this one alone - 2.00 is not worth it for straight sets in an event like this. It might come up, but find it hard to see the value. Beck is no mug, and probably would be handier in the rankings if he hadn't messed up his career with doping offences.[/quote'] Great advice, much appreciated, Atko. I've had rotten luck on both the Wimbledon finals and have lost a considerable amount of money. I know how it feels and I wouldn't want any punter on here to throw their money away.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Might go for a double on the doubles tomorrow ;) In Bastad, Spanish duo Nuria Vives & Arantxa Parra Santonja take on Arantxa Rus and Anastasia Yakimova. Vives/Santonja have played over 30 games together including Fed Cup matches, where as there opponents are a new pairing most likely for this tournament only. Both the Spanish ladies have won a fair few doubles tournaments themselves (normally when paired with Maria Jose Martinez Sanchez), and should get an easy win in this match In Newport, Marcelo Melo and Andre Sa go up against Alex Bogomolov and Dustin Brown. Although I believe this is going to be there first match together since 2009, Melo and Sa have had plenty of successes together in previous years, and Melo has carried on having doubles success since the two split in 2009. They should have enough experience to see off another new pairing in Bogomolv & Brown. Double is 2.10 at William Hill Small stakes, as doubles always has the potential to throw up a surprise or two especially given the unknown nature of the opposition pairings :hope

Bets are taken and then posted on here so too late. Everyone has their own opinions, i certainly see things differently to the likes of Atko and Kevshat on here at times - sometimes i am right, sometimes wrong. For me i see the Evens as a bit higher than i would have had it. You may have wanted 2/1 before taking it, thats the beauty of everyone being able to have their own opinions :ok

Bets are taken and then posted on here so too late. Everyone has their own opinions, i certainly see things differently to the likes of Atko and Kevshat on here at times - sometimes i am right, sometimes wrong. For me i see the Evens as a bit higher than i would have had it. You may have wanted 2/1 before taking it, thats the beauty of everyone being able to have their own opinions :ok
Absolutely right mirage, and if you are confident about the bet then you should take it. Just because one person isn't completely sure on it doesn't mean it's not going to win. Isner has the potential to do it in straights - two breakers would do it - but I'd like a little bit more in the price. Seeing value in a bet is a completely subjective observation, however; often there is no right or wrong. I hope it comes in for you :ok

Yes, right you are! I hope it comes in! Good luck to you, Mirage and thank you for the informative write-ups on this forum.

Decided to take a small punt on this one ... - Over 23 games AH (Dustin Brown v Matthias Bachinger) @ 1.99 with Pinnacle 3pts This ought to be a fairly close match. Both men know each other well having met three times, and both men come into it with the right attributes for an overs match. Brown's a big serve-and-volleyer, an awkward type of opponent who is hard to get a read on, especially for weaker returners, a category I'd class Bachinger into. By the same token, Bachinger's a decent grass court player. Did well against Monfils at Wimbledon, mainly down to a powerful game that should work well against someone like Brown, who won't dominate rallies. Last time they met, on carpet, they went three sets. Hard to pick a winner but I can see both men cancelling each other out, and therefore creating a long match. I had the line at over 23.5 games, so feel it's a little short in that regard. Small stakes but worth an investment in my eyes. :hope
Well done, Atko! Your bet just hit! Very impressive capping!

- Alex Bogomolov Jnr -3.5 games (v Mischa Zverev) @ 1.806 with Pinnacle 5pts WIN - Over 23 games AH (Dustin Brown v Matthias Bachinger) @ 1.99 with Pinnacle 3pts WIN
+7pts for the first day, which I'm happy to take to bed with.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Great start to the week Atko, excellent choices.

A couple of first round matches do interest me, although will require a bit more research before I commit. Martinez Sanchez vs Benesova - the odds seem quite high for Benesova considering that she is seeded 5th here, is 23 places higher in the rankings and has a no worse record on clay this year than her opponent. Can get odds of 2.8 at Boyle Sports for the Benesova win. Worth a small wager possibly ;) I also see the Lucic vs Cristea match up being a tight one. Both women are close to each other in the rankings and have had some decent success on clay this year, and in the two head to heads (both in the last 10 months) its 1 -1. Because of this I feel its well worth considering total sets =3 at 2.2 at skybet.
Decided against taking either of these in the end. Due to my general lack of interest in the mixed doubles format it took me until yesterday afternoon to realise that Benesova had won at Wimbledon at the weekend. Given the lack of preparation time she would have had for this tournament and the different surfaces these odds seem about right in hindsight. I still like the look of the 3 sets in the Lucic vs Cristrea match up but its still early in the week so am going to save my £'s for other possibilities throughout the week, and stick with the three bets i've already got on for today. :hope

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July I'll take two bets today ... - Tobias Kamke -2.5 games (v Alex Bogdanovic) @ 1.862 with Pinnacle 8pts Bogdanovic has come through the qualifiers but I'm very unsure if he's got the quality to live with Kamke right now. The H2H is 1-1 but the last match was played in 2008, which Kamke won in straights. Since then, Kamke has really improved, and I think his game is too strong for Bogdanovic. He's a very adept man off the deck, with a strong backhand in particular, and I expect him to out-spar the Brit. Bogdanovic is a regressive player, a man ridiculed in his own country for not succeeding, especially at Wimbledon and the Davis Cup. He's a good server but his game is totally underpinned by that. Kamke plays well on the grass and doesn't make as many errors as I expect Bogdanovic to. The Brit may have come through the qualifying but I expect him to find Kamke too good. - Igor Kunitsyn -3.5 games (v Jimmy Wang) @ 1.99 with Pinnacle 7pts Interesting little match this. Wang has a remarkable 4-0 H2H record over the Russian, including a win at Wimbledon in 2007. It may seem a little surprising that I'm backing Kunitsyn, but most of those wins came between 2002 and 2007, when Wang was a much more prominent player on the Tour. He's limited now to playing Challenger events and loses pretty much every time he comes up against a semi-decent player. Kunitsyn's in better form than he has been for some time. He made the semis of Eastbourne and also R2 of Wimbledon. He likes grass, it suits his game. His level in 2002 and even in 2007 was pretty similar to Wang, but both men have gone in different directions since. Happy enough to take the Russian on the handicap despite the H2H. :hope

Sport Tennis
Event Corinna Dentoni - Estrella Cabeza Candela
Selection Estrella Cabeza Candela
Strength 1/10
Date 05/07/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.61
Reasoning Budapest WTA Int'l- clay, round of 32. Best of 3 sets. Estrella Cabeza Candela is my big favorite and she should win very easy. She can play very good on clay - she played in quarterfinal in Barcelona in this year - defeated many good rivals like Alexandra Dulgheru or Arantxa Parra Santonja. Dulgheru won two WTA titles on clay so she can play very nice on this surface. Estrella Cabeza Candela had to play in qualification here - she won three matches without big problems so motivation must be high. She likes play against Corinna Dentoni. The last match they played on grass in London two weaks ago and Estrella Cabeza Candela won very easy 6-2 6-0! Odd maybe is not too high but it's a very good option for me.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July i keep looking at Tommy Haas being a favorite and confused. I would have expected it to be mentioned here on multiple times already...am i wrong? the wager looks like it may be a nobrainer when you consider how Haas has been the past year. Is there any Haas news I may be unaware of?

i keep looking at Tommy Haas being a favorite and confused. I would have expected it to be mentioned here on multiple times already...am i wrong? the wager looks like it may be a nobrainer when you consider how Haas has been the past year. Is there any Haas news I may be unaware of?
Haas has been showing signs of improvement since his injury and will come here extremely motivated, as his ranking has plummeted. He is a more talented player than Berrer and should be able to beat if, if fit. That's the big sticking point though. Is he fit? Nobody really knows, hence the reason why I'm not getting involved in any way.

Re: Tennis - 4-10 July Very late one from me, sorry but I hadto think about this long and hard. John Isner vs Karol Beck 1st Selection: Karol Beck @ 11/4 with William Hill. 2nd selection: 3 sets in the match @ 19/10 with William Hill Reasoning: The grass at Newport plays very low and a big man like Isner who generally struggles with court movement will really struggle if his opponent tries sliced retruns and flat forehands/backhands. Isner hasn't played much on grass this year and the fact that he lost to a clay-courter, Almagro in the second round to Wimbledon doesn't strengthen his case. Beck is a wily campaigner and if he's up for it will try making the tall man run around court and force him to make errors. In any case this will not be a straightforward game for either player I think. Unfortunately my book doesn't offer handicap betting or total games betting for this game otherwise I would have taken a plus handicap for Beck with large stakes. Howver, there isstill tremendous value on a Beck win (maybe trade out in-play?) and the three set match selection can be viewed as cover if the orginal bet fails to win.

Well done! Most excellent capping and a confident punt! I went the total opposite of you but you obviously know your tennis! :ok

- Tobias Kamke -2.5 games (v Alex Bogdanovic) @ 1.862 with Pinnacle 8pts WIN - Igor Kunitsyn -3.5 games (v Jimmy Wang) @ 1.99 with Pinnacle 7pts LOSS
-0.10pts for the day. +6.9pts for the week. Minimal loss today, and disappointed it wasn't a full house because Kunitsyn served for the match and the handicap. Never mind, perhaps I should of read more into the H2H. Kamke wasn't bombproof either but did the job as the biggest bet of the day. Glad Isner pulled through for Mirage (nothing against TBWD, just good to see a man stick to his guns and get the rewards). Couple of surprises too in both men's and women's events. More than likely taking the day off tomorrow, no time to research the matches as spending the day with the good lady. All the best to all that play :ok