** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 13-19 June

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June

Romina Oprandi vs Kim Clijsters home +1.5 AH sets @ 5.50 with >William Hill Romina is in great form on grass and also usually plays great on this surface. Has already 5 wins on this srface and 2 defeats. Except the win with O'Brien, the rest 4 were in 2 sets. Clijsters won hard with Niculescu, but here will have trouble. She might end up eliminated. Will see ... The idea is that a good form like Oprandi, from a player that is not at all weak on grass, must be taken with a minimum risk.
Did you really get @5.50 from William Hill??? I just asked, because their site is down just now and the highest I found was @3.00 Sbobet...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Lleyton-Hewitt vs Olivier Rochus home -1.5 sets @ 1.72 with SBOBet The Australian is already playing on grass, while the Belgium played last game on clay. Hewitt played well on Halle, but lost unexpected to Kohlschreiber who finally won the tournament. Little Olivier will have trouble on grass. He lost also last 5 games he played on clay to not so great tennis players. The form and the value is on Lleyton side.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Kanepi vs Schiavone home win @ 2.20 with StanJames Hard game to call here, but I will give it a shot. Kanepi looks here with the value to me. She serves well, she is more mobile and she is more powerful than the Italian. She has good results on grass, better than Schiavone anyway. Schiavone leads 3-1, but IMO will have adapting problems here. Kanepi already played a game on grass and I think she will win tonight.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Tamira Paszek vs Na Li - pick: home +4.5 games AH @ 1.85 with NordicBet Tamira had good performances on grass lately, has already played 7 matches on this surface and has 5 wins already. Na Li is a perfectionist, plays well, but the fact that this is her first grass match I believe will slow her down a bit.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Zheng vs Hantuchova pick: home +1.5 sets @ 1.85 with Sbobet Hantuchova played very well in Birmingham, but lost the final to a very in form Lisicki. Has 4 wins and that defeat. Zheng also played well on grass, has 3 wins and 1 defeat so far. I think that this will be a very tough game, Hantuchova maybe is still affected by the loss in Birmingham and Zheng will fight to win at least one set here.

Sport Tennis
Event Tsvetana Pironkova - Serena Williams
Selection Tsvetana Pironkova
Strength 10/10
Date 14/06/2011
Bookmaker/Price Bwin @ 4.60
Reasoning Eastbourne WTA Premier (GBR) - Grass, Round of 32. Maybe Serena Williams should be a favorite in this match but odd 4,60 at bwin is big value for me! Serena Williams is better player but she played last tournament in the last year - Wimbledon - won 7 matches 2-0. She is very strong on grass. She won 59 matches on grass in her career, lost only 7 but Serena had many health problems. I watched an interview with her and she said that the most important tournament is Wimbledon for her. Tsvetana Pironkova can beat Serena because she likes play on grass. She defeated Venus Williams, Marion Bartoli on grass in the last year. We can see fantastic odd at bwin!

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Lleyton Hewitt vs Olivier Rochus 4pts Under 21.5 games - 4/5 with Bet365 I really fancy Hewitt to get the job done comfortably here today and i reckon this line should be priced at 4/6 rather than the 4/5 on offer. Hewitt had a couple of good wins in Germany last week, as expected, and there is no need for me to explain just how good he can be on grass when he is on form. He is fairly low down on the rankings list at the moment so will no doubt want to improve that at every tournament he plays in. The gulf in class between these 2 is big when both playing at their best and that has been shown on the previous 3 occasions when the Aussie has won every time. Rochus is coming into this game with no form whatsoever. It's his first match of the season on grass and in each of his last 3 tournaments he has been defeated in the first round so the lack of match practice is a major worry. Hewitt is a live contender to lift the title this week and he should be able to get his challenge off to a good start in this match with a comfortable win.

WTA s-Hertogenbosh R16 Clijsters (BEL) vs Oprandi (ITA): Oprandi @7,510 Pinnacle WIN Now this is the first bet of the (potential) martingaling serie aimed to get profit from Kim's loss [.. snip ..]
Now the only drawback of this BIG WIN is ... that I have nothing to play for the rest of the week :$

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Hewitt is awful here against Rochus. There is no aggression in his play, the serve is no threat and his movement is sluggish. The under 21.5 bet may be covered still, but not in the way i thought it would.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Hewitt retired through injury. It was obvious he was suffering when serving in that second set and not able to go for a Rochus return that was jut by his feet. So, my bet was void. Well done Homunculus on a great shout :ok

Ward vs Tipsarevic - Eastbourne ATP Ward 11/8 - Strength 7/10 - Paddy Power - Medium stakes

Current score is 1-1 and Ward was considerably unlucky to lose the first set according to reports, Ward's serve is firing on all cylinders and he takes charge of points whenever opponents miss first serves by chipping and charging or approaching the net and intimidating them, his baseline game on grass was a match for Wawrinka, so competing with Tipsy from there shouldn't be any different IMO. He's also serving first and has the British crowd behind him.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June good shout SYMIL, i backed Tipsarevic -3.50 pre game expecting a couple of breaks being enough to beat Ward. Ward did great last week but the hard work starts now winning week in week out or at least making the 3rd round etc... Tipsarevic is no mug and pushed Murray at times last week, the Serb is better on grass than Stan is and has a very underrated serve. Ive not read reports just seen the scoreboard and the 1st set was perfect for me but Ward served some 78% 1st serves in that second set meaning just 6 second serves in the ENTIRE SET! Think my asian bet is gone need another 6-3 set but with a fresh Ward serving like that it doesn't look good but who knows.... I think Ward is value to win especially given he's serving first which is always important for me BUT maybe the stop came at a bad time for him, he was obviously serving huge in possible bad-ish light and now he has to start again and re-find his rhythm against a top 30 player in the world. If i had to choose i'd probably rather be on Ward than my handicap bet but truth be told the best bet at this stage in running is no bet for me. either way good luck lets hope the Serb doesn't win 6-4 and we both lose :p

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June SYMIL did you take that bet without having watched any of the match?? Not sure where the logic is in that but good luck. Anyways I'm taking a few tomorrow to kick off my week ahead of Wimbledon. Will do the write-ups when the markets become available but already taken Schuettler for the win at 11/10 with Bet365. Just pointing this out now as the price is dropping and he will be favourite before too long if anyone wants to jump on that one. Will be back later though.

Berrer vs Giraldo - Berrer - 4/6 - ATP s-Hertogenbosch - Strength 8/10 - Paddy Power - Moderately big stakes

Berrer, a confidence player, a player who cherishes the grass, his massive serve and comfortability at the net is what separates him from his opponent here. Mentally they both cancel each other out, they're both susceptible to streaks in unforced errors and neither really play the big points well. Atm though Berrer's confidence is high and his form on the surface is reasonably good, he beat Almagro, whom although doesn't have much credentials on grass, is still a very tough nut to crack. Giraldo doesn't really possess many qualities to his game, he's definitely not good enough defensively to pose that much of a threat on Berrer's serve and doesn't really have anything that fills me with belief that he'll hold his serve without much effort throughout the course of a match. Giraldo's out of his depth here, grass isn't him.

SYMIL did you take that bet without having watched any of the match?? Not sure where the logic is in that but good luck. Anyways I'm taking a few tomorrow to kick off my week ahead of Wimbledon. Will do the write-ups when the markets become available but already taken Schuettler for the win at 11/10 with Bet365. Just pointing this out now as the price is dropping and he will be favourite before too long if anyone wants to jump on that one. Will be back later though.
No, but I watched him all last week @ Queens with hard-arse observation and the reports were he was unlucky to lose the first set to Tipsy who had a few lucky line calls.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June R. Schuettler vs K. Nishikori 3pts R. Schuettler to win - Evens with Paddy Power I reckon this price will drop quickly and would have him around the 5/6 mark personally. I was on Querry when he beat Nishikori at Queens and i am happy to oppose him here again. Schuettler is a solid player and is in the routine of coming through matches against this sort of opponent. He got through the qualifiers easy enough and put up a good fight at Queens when facing Querry, a lot more than Nishikori did. His returning should give him a good chance here as Nishikori's 1st serve percentage against Kirillov wasn't the greatest. Kirillov had 4 break points so if he can create opportunities, Schuettler can too. At these odds i am happy to take the experienced German to do the business for us.

good shout SYMIL, i backed Tipsarevic -3.50 pre game expecting a couple of breaks being enough to beat Ward. Ward did great last week but the hard work starts now winning week in week out or at least making the 3rd round etc... Tipsarevic is no mug and pushed Murray at times last week, the Serb is better on grass than Stan is and has a very underrated serve. Ive not read reports just seen the scoreboard and the 1st set was perfect for me but Ward served some 78% 1st serves in that second set meaning just 6 second serves in the ENTIRE SET! Think my asian bet is gone need another 6-3 set but with a fresh Ward serving like that it doesn't look good but who knows.... I think Ward is value to win especially given he's serving first which is always important for me BUT maybe the stop came at a bad time for him, he was obviously serving huge in possible bad-ish light and now he has to start again and re-find his rhythm against a top 30 player in the world. If i had to choose i'd probably rather be on Ward than my handicap bet but truth be told the best bet at this stage in running is no bet for me. either way good luck lets hope the Serb doesn't win 6-4 and we both lose :p
Haha. Yeah, I've put a considerable amount on this match, moderates @ 11/5 during the first set and moderates again at suspended 11/8... Ward is serving first and Tipsarevic isn't the best when playing under pressure, I also don't feel Tipsy would feel to fussed losing out here, the extra incentive is definitely there for Ward and I just feel he believes this is his breakthrough season and as a result will want this more. (As it will be another big scalp and further ranking points)

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Interesting selection with [url=http://www.oddscomparisons.com/tennis/aegon-international/round-2/nishikori,-k-v-schuettler,-r/match-result/]Schuettler, I took him on today with Stakhovsky (spelling??) and was stunned to see him win in straight sets. Even more so given the Ukranian won a grass court tournament last year. The German is one of those older players that I'm always more likely to lay than back, especially against younger, fitter, stronger players etc Nishikori is a decent player not quite sure how good he is on the green stuff mind with only a 10-9 career record on the surface. He did push Nadal last year at Wmbledon going down 6-2 6-4 6-4 which is decent enough. Looks a no bet to me, but curious to see your reasoning mate. :clap

R. Schuettler vs K. Nishikori 3pts R. Schuettler to win - Evens with Paddy Power I reckon this price will drop quickly and would have him around the 5/6 mark personally. I was on Querry when he beat Nishikori at Queens and i am happy to oppose him here again. Schuettler is a solid player and is in the routine of coming through matches against this sort of opponent. He got through the qualifiers easy enough and put up a good fight at Queens when facing Querry, a lot more than Nishikori did. His returning should give him a good chance here as Nishikori's 1st serve percentage against Kirillov wasn't the greatest. Kirillov had 4 break points so if he can create opportunities, Schuettler can too. At these odds i am happy to take the experienced German to do the business for us.
Just to follow up on this, I think this is an absolute cert, Nikishori has been out with injury for donkies months, he was taken apart by a mediocre Sam Querrey at queens and Schuettler as we all know is a grass court veteran, the guy reached the Semi Finals of Wimbledon not so long ago losing out to Nadal whom he also mustered a set off. Nikishori is too erratic and passive at this moment in time to even challenge a player as accomplished and secure on the grass as Rainer. Easy money.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June J-W. Tsonga vs R. Stepanek 1.5/5pts R. Stepanek to win - 17/8 with Boylesports Radek Stepanek is playing some good tennis at the moment and came through his first match here, as most expected, against Fleming and despite giving the Brit a few break points i still think he did ok. At Queens he showed the variety in his game is still enough to cause anyone problems with a good fightback against Ljubicic and then putting in a good showing vs Nadal. I reckon he will up his game against Tsonga as he will know he is in for a tough fight whereas versus Fleming he will have surely been in 2nd gear throughout. I watched Jo-Wilfred today and athough he won in straight sets i felt he looked tired, espescially in that 2nd set where i thought Istomin was playing the better stuff for long periods. He even said after the match that he only made up his mind to come here on Monday night se his body is definitely feeling the pressure of so many games in the last couple of weeks. Tsonga's fitness has been a worry throughout his career and with him admitting that he was considering not even turning up i feel an opponent as good as Stepanek is worth siding with. I expected 6/4 so to find a price of over 2/1 available is a pleasant surprise. The Frenchman is in good form overall so that is why the stake is fairly small but if there is a good line/price available for the handicap, i may get on Stepanek with a stronger stake. EDIT: Just added the bold, underline and colour to the top lines to make the selection stand out

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Dominika Cibulkova -3 vs Kristina Barrois. 1.93 @ Pinnacle (5/10) Cibulkova has won 12 games in a row in this tournament. She was 0-3 and double break down against Halep in round 1 but bounced back in style. Barrois will have tough time against the Slovak. Can't see her having much of a play on return. Cibulkova moves very well and with Barrois playing her dropshots and slices but not hitting heavy shots I can see Dominika chasing most of the balls down and winning the longer rallies. This match is Cibulkova's to lose. I think 3 games is a bit short here and it will be a bigger winning margin for the Slovak player. Cibulkova has won their only H2H match beating Barrois 7-5, 6-1 in a Challenger event final on indoor hards back in 2006.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June A couple for me tomorrow, may be more as the lines become available. I'm another in the Stepanek camp ... but like I said earlier in the thread, this isn't a week to go big on the stakes. The week before a Slam has a history of throwing up surprises for the punter. - Dmitry Tursunov (v Nicolas Mahut) @ 1.91 with Stan James small stakes I think this is the sort of event which is set up perfectly for someone like Tursunov. The Russian is desperate to climb up the rankings and has a winnable match against Mahut. Both men came through R1 in straights, although Mahut was in trouble in the opening set against Mannarino. I'd expect a serve-fest, plenty of aces, but for me, Tursunov has more off the deck. He's got a bigger strike on him and is a better returner for me. I don't quite get all the hype about Mahut - decent enough grass player but his game is easily undone, especially on the backhand side. Made the final of Queen's a few years ago but is generally a low-end 250 player and there are reasons for that - poor backhand, dodgy mentality and bottle. Tursunov is no angel himself but has undoubted ability and is decent enough on this surface. Beat the Frenchman in their only meeting a few years ago at Wimbledon (five-setter) and appears in decent shape right now. I'd expect this to be fairly close but Tursunov's the better man for me, and considering I had him priced at 1.70, I'm happy enough to take him in this encounter in s'Hertogenbosch. I'd suggest a bookie that refunds retirements though - Tursunov, who has had injury issues in the past, is one of those players who will retire if even the slightest bit hurt. - Radek Stepanek (v Jo-Wilfried Tsonga) @ 3.3 with Betfair very small stakes This could well turn into a back-to-lay job for me. I'm surprised to see Stepanek so highly priced. Yes, he was poor against Fleming in R1, but it appears the Brits are firing at the moment. I do fear for Tsonga a little bit, due to the aforementioned fatigue he's suffering from. He certainly wasn't convincing against Istomin today, he was fortunate the Uzbek is woefully out of form. Stepanek's a nasty bugger to play against when you're not at your peak fitness-wise because he's unorthodox and gets under the skin of opponents. He's adept at picking on frailties and I'd imagine he'll cause Tsonga problems. I can see this price tumbling if Tsonga starts the match poorly or loses the first set, and I feel 3.3 has enough juice in it to turn into profit whatever the outcome if the odds fluctuate. They've met twice before, Tsonga winning both, but he's not a man blessed with stamina, and the signs are there that he's starting to flag. Worth a shot considering the situation. I probably would have pulled the trigger on the +3.5 games too, had the price been closer to 1.90 rather than 1.84.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June im going for matches who i think will go to at least three sets Donald Young vs Andreas Seppi set betting 2-1 seppi 3/1 skybet this will be close it is hard to choose between them but i would choose seppi Grigor Dimitrov vs Kevin Anderson set betting 2-1 anderson 3/1 skybet two evenly matched players but i think andersen will come through Julien Benneteau vs Somdev Devvarmann set betting 2-1 benneteau 3/1 skybet it seems these sort of matches always goes to the last set

ATP 's-Hertogenbosch - Haider-Maurer to beat Dodig @ 2.95 (Pinnacle) - LOSS ATP 's-Hertogenbosch - Malisse -3.5 vs. Falla @ 1.83 (Pinnacle) - WIN ATP Eastbourne - Anderson vs. Slabinsky - Under 20 games @ 1.88 (Pinnacle) - LOSS
Poor day then, Dodig dismissing Haider-Maurer and Anderson going just over. At least Malisse pulled through on the handicap. Tomorrow's fancies: DOUBLE @ 1.85 (Unibet) - ATP 's-Hertongenbosch - Malisse to beat Huta Galung @ 1.3 - ATP Eastbourne - Anderson to beat Dimitrov @ 1.42 Malisse hammered Falla in 's-Hertogenbosch today and has points to defend as I mentioned in my previous post. Looking at the draw, he really ought to fancy his chances of taking home the title. I certainly don't envisage Huta Galung getting in his way. The Dutch wild card's powerful game is pretty compatible with grass and he holds a respectable 8-6 career record on this surface but most of those matches were in qualies and Challengers. Victory over Reister today was only his second at ATP World Tour level this season, and he made hard work of it considering the German's shoulder problem. Malisse likes to get his money's worth at times, but if he can continue his current form he'll be in for another straightforward victory. Anderson let me down with the overs bet today but I won't hold it against him. Wasn't exactly convincing against plucky Brit Slabinsky in his Eastbourne opener but got the job done in straight sets with minimal fuss. Dimitrov struggled past Evans in the first round and lost to clay courter Bellucci at Queen's last week. Pretty iffy results. He's an excellent shotmaker at times but very erratic and Anderson won't allow him any rhythm. I expect the big man's power to overwhelm him. Anticipate these two favourites progressing at their respective events and have taken them in a double. ATP Eastbourne - Stepanek to beat Tsonga @ 3.55 (bwin) Looks like I'm with the consensus on this one. Shocked as everyone else that Tsonga decided to play in Eastbourne this week after his exertions at Queen's. Very questionable decision with Wimbledon looming and if the Frenchman was employing a coach he'd surely be resting up right now. I managed to catch the tail end of his win over Istomin today and he did look knackered. Definitely wasn't serving at full tilt. Stepanek's a wily old campaigner. As Atko pointed out, he's a horrible player to face when you're not at 100% because he'll sharply observe any weaknesses in your game and find ways to exploit them. I'll be opposing Tsonga until he loses this week, because with every passing match he damages his chances of going deep at SW19. One ball bookie, of course.

Re: Tennis - 13-19 June Yeah as Atko said this week could throw up some shocks and I've taken 3 slight dogs for tomorrow. May take a few handicaps as well when they're out. As for the handicaps, Stakhovsky lost today but Malisse and Azarenka have decent draws so I'm hopeful for those 2. Michael Berrer vs Santiago Giraldo- Giraldo to win- 11/10 Bet365- (4/10) Despite grass not being Giraldo's favourite surface, he did show glimpses last year that he can play some decent stuff on the surface. In Holland last year he beat Troicki in the second round so he's got some points to defend tomorrow, but it's also a pretty decent result to beat Troicki. At the start of the year the Colombian was impressive on the quicker surfaces, making the quarters in Brisbane and the semis in Auckland. He's got a pretty decent serve and forehand on him and we've seen over the past couple of weeks how Berrer struggles to return with pace on the ball with Tsonga hammering him and Murray hitting winners on one leg in Paris. I secretly fancied Berrer to run Almagro close but that's more down to the Spaniard's inability to play on grass than Berrer's underlining quality. The German has played very little tennis on the grass in the past couple of years so I'm still not convinced about how he's going to play on the surface despite having some decent results on the hard courts this year. Giraldo's win over Russell should give him some confidence after a poor end to the clay season, and given his good form on the quicker courts earlier in the year, I'll back him to match his last year performance in the tournament. Kei Nishikori vs Rainer Schuettler- Schuettler to win- 11/10 Bet365- (4/10) Took this a couple of hours or so ago and since Schuettler has gone to odds on favourite so glad I jumped on when I did. Although the German killed one of my outrights today by beating Stakhovsky, I'm going to let him try and make up for it with a win tomorrow. These days Rainer struggles to put runs together in events but on grass he still remains a wily player and this week he's got through his qualifiers and first round match in straight sets so he'll be more at home than Nishikori who has only played two matches on grass in the past couple of weeks. An out of sorts Sam Querrey beat him comfortably, and although he beat Schuettler as well last week, the German provided a much stiffer task. Rainer just seems to be inspired on the grass given his history on the surface and I fancy the German to continue his love affair with the grass tomorrow with a win. One underdog for the women as well. Vera Zvonareva vs Serena Williams- Williams to win- 5/4 Bet365- (4/10) Price has actually drifted on Serena but I still feel I have to make the most of taking her as an underdog. Saw her match against Pironkova today and although she was tight and rusty in parts, mainly the first set, she did have moments of genuine quality which makes me see this one as more of a 50/50, regardless of Serena's lack of match practice, she is still one of the best in the WTA. Zvonareva historically never does much down in Eastbourne, losing in the first round for the past 2 years and although she was playing a Brit today, she really should have won by a greater margin. She was blowing hot and cold on the clay so I'm not overly convinced how she will adapt to the grass against someone of Serena's power. This should be fairly tight I'm thinking, but to have Serena as a dog is still a bit over the top despite her injury, so I'll back her to prevail in this one. She should be up for this one big time and today we saw her pumping herself during the latter points and I expect her to do the same today.

im going for matches who i think will go to at least three sets Donald Young vs Andreas Seppi set betting 2-1 seppi 3/1 skybet this will be close i cant pick who would win Grigor Dimitrov vs Kevin Anderson set betting 2-1 anderson 3/1 skybet two evenly matched players cant pick one Julien Benneteau vs Somdev Devvarmann set betting 2-1 benneteau 3/1 skybet it seems these sort of matches always goes to the last set
You don't know who'll win but you still choose a winner in 3 ?