** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Looks like the investors at Plymouth are doing what many have done to Pompey. Stalling over finances :eyes They have defender Robbie Williams from Rochdale, and defender Durrell Berry, released from Villa lined up to join once the takeover is completed. With a couple of young forwards on trial too released from United and Norwich in the close season. All in all, hardly inspiring. The clock is ticking with a month until the new seasons starts.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Hopefully for Gills fans the signing of Fish from Dover will bring plenty of SOLE to the squad :drums
:lol You should go on the Gillingham messageboard, there is a thread with about 45 posts with various plays on his name!..think his nickname's going to be fingers :$

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season We have just signed Charlie Lee from Peterborough also for an undisclosed fee. Squad is now looking very decent and the signings so far have exceeded all expectations from the supporters, I'm quite staggered we have been able to get players of the quality of Lee, Whelpdale and Kedwell (hopefully in Kedwell's case) on long term contracts considering they turned down moneybags Crawley..if we can get a another decent striker probably on loan we might well be in business. Not getting too carried away though as everyone seems to be tipping their own sides for promotion on the various threads! :lol

I did note that in my original post addpea. ;)
I was away for a while so missed a few postings so I didnt see it my fault. I think he would be a solid signing for you, he might not be a big scorer at this level but there is more to his game than scoring goals.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Very interesting that there are many tips for relegation in this division as there are for winning it. Just goes to show the amount teams who are struggling at this level. One team nobody has mentioned as of yet for relegation is Crewe. 20/1 with Coral is a huge price according to an Alex supporting mate of mine. With the main threat from season Clayton Donaldson gone and Byron Moore the only striker left at the club Dario Gradi will have his work cut out. Money is tighter than ever and they be once again putting all thier faith youth, not too many olds pros to back it up this time though.

Very interesting that there are many tips for relegation in this division as there are for winning it. Just goes to show the amount teams who are struggling at this level. One team nobody has mentioned as of yet for relegation is Crewe. 20/1 with Coral is a huge price according to an Alex supporting mate of mine. With the main threat from season Clayton Donaldson gone and Byron Moore the only striker left at the club Dario Gradi will have his work cut out. Money is tighter than ever and they be once again putting all thier faith youth, not too many olds pros to back it up this time though.
I think personally the price on Crewe is huge for a reason.....last season they were the Blackpool of League Two. They were on the end of a few thrashing's, but dished some out too. If they play like that with real attacking intent, I doubt Crewe will have too many problems, regardless of playing staff. Also, if I'm putting any money on one particular club throughout league football surviving on just the youth, it has to be Crewe. Dario and Crewe don't have a bad record bringing through the youth ;)

I think personally the price on Crewe is huge for a reason.....last season they were the Blackpool of League Two. They were on the end of a few thrashing's, but dished some out too. If they play like that with real attacking intent, I doubt Crewe will have too many problems, regardless of playing staff. Also, if I'm putting any money on one particular club throughout league football surviving on just the youth, it has to be Crewe. Dario and Crewe don't have a bad record bringing through the youth ;)
Their best striker has also left the club

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Despite premature reports he had gone to Swindon, Gillingham have today signed Adam Birchall from Dover for an undisclosed fee on a three year deal, to play alongside Kedwell next season..fair to say we have been the big spenders of pre-season so far. Not sure whats going on with the money side of things as we have shelled out quite a bit overall and according to notes for the forthcoming AGM, the stadium might be being transferred back to the ownership of the club. Might be some outside investment, nobodys sure as yet..

In my opinion Birchall was the best striker still left in non-league and I think that is a massive signing for you. If those two gel that could be a hell of a partnership.
Potentially I agree. Fans are getting over excited as they do! Is a big gamble though to go in with two strikers unproven at league level, we don't have much back-up up front..Young lad Rooney, who didn't get much of a look-in last season, could be one to watch this season, plays in the free role really behind the front two and has 4 in 3 pre-season games, would be good to see him given a decent chance this time around if he can add more discipline to his game, got a hell of a shot on him.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season James Constable Top Goalscorer E/W - 25/1 William Hill Tom Craddock Top Goalscorer E/W - 25/1 William Hill Both play for Oxford United, they hit 15 each last season at their first season at this level so they have experience at this level now, so I expect them to hit more now this season. Added to the fact of a new creative player at Oxford in Peter Leven could certainly help aid these two. 12 people did finish above these two in last seasons golden boot however interestingly only 4 of those will be playing in this league this season. Its an outside bet so I will take with small stakes. Any views on this ?

Anyone fancy Bristol rovers?...The pirates are 10/1 in places' date='they have a few handy frontmen in the form of Zebroski,McGleish,Kuffour and Harrold.....I might go 5/2 on promotion....[/quote'] Think they have to be considered one of the favourites, have a decent squad with a few good strikers as you mention, the supporters seem very confident although I pay little to no attention to that as all supporters are optimistic until the first ball is kicked, one repeated theme is that they now have strength in depth and players that can come on and change games. They have changed virtually the entire team though so I would wait a few weeks to see how they settle down before parting with cash..Supporters seem to think the starting line-up will be; Bevan Smith, Anthony, Virgo, Sawyer Zebroski, Gill, Stanley, Carayol McGleish, Harrold A few of those players are familiar to us, Zebroski can be great if his heads right, Gill is a good player and Virgo should be great at this level. McGleish is a quality player and Harrold is an old school centre forward, needs to kick on for me, big season for him. Saying that I think 5/2 is pretty lousy, I would be pretty certain they will go longer than that during the season..they would be one of my favourites alongside Crawley and probably Shrewsbury. Good luck if you take the plunge.

Can anyone tell me why Accrington has not bought a few players.Many players have departed the club but they have signed just one player.Do they have financial problems?
They have had financial problems for years, their attendences are not enough to compete financially with the top sides, losing players like Jimmy Ryan is obviously only going to weaken them. They were one of, if not the, best footballing side in the league last year but as players have left they are unable to replace them like for like. Look at a friendly they played the other night, 15 trialists! Not the sort of situation you want to be in..they had an unexpected season last year getting into the play-offs but with the league looking stronger this year and them losing key players I would suggest it might be beyond them this time around..

They have had financial problems for years' date=' their attendences are not enough to compete financially with the top sides, losing players like Jimmy Ryan is obviously only going to weaken them. They were one of, if not the, best footballing side in the league last year but as players have left they are unable to replace them like for like. Look at a friendly they played the other night, 15 trialists! Not the sort of situation you want to be in..they had an unexpected season last year getting into the play-offs but with the league looking stronger this year and them losing key players I would suggest it might be beyond them this time around..[/quote'] It was the same last season for them though and John Coleman managed to bring the right players in to get them competitive. A very good manager and i wouldnt put it past him to do the same again. Play offs may be a step too far this year but i think they'll survive.

Adam Birchall has had it confirmed today that he's done his cruciate ligament so will obviously be on the sidelines for a fair while. Massive blow for him and us.
Only just seen this and I feel very sorry for him.

James Constable Top Goalscorer E/W - 25/1 William Hill Tom Craddock Top Goalscorer E/W - 25/1 William Hill Both play for Oxford United, they hit 15 each last season at their first season at this level so they have experience at this level now, so I expect them to hit more now this season. Added to the fact of a new creative player at Oxford in Peter Leven could certainly help aid these two. 12 people did finish above these two in last seasons golden boot however interestingly only 4 of those will be playing in this league this season. Its an outside bet so I will take with small stakes. Any views on this ?
With Smalley, Pitman and potentially one other striker coming in (liam boyce on trial) im not sure whether these two will be first choice every week. One could even be sold.

Is anyone expecting big things from Oxford this season? 4th favourite for the league' date=' kept their two top scorers and made a bunch of signing.[/quote'] Big year for the club and manager. We are one of the more high profile sides and some high profile signings mean the price includes a premium. 14/1 too short for me - we were 20's a month or so ago but that value is long gone now.

I can't understand the price for Bradford at 22/1. They were crap last season and they've signed 3 players on free transfers while selling 3 times as many.
I don't think we have added enough quality and could struggle again. We might be an outside bet for relegation rather than promotion. We have a very young looking side but no doubt the excuse will be "they need time to gel". We have got Ross Hannah from Matlock Town, Mark Stewart from Falkirk I think, Scottish Div 1 top scorer last season and Nialle Rodney from Forest who seems quite well regarded by their fans. We have Ritchie Jones (ex Man Utd) in midfield but the rest of that area lacks class. At the back we got Guy Branston but our right back (Ramsden) spent all last season injured and is already injured again after 2-3 pre season games. We have been unable to offload players, wanted rid of about another 5 players I think but no interest and already over our wage bill. I'm not totally convinced with Jacko as manager either, lovely bloke but we could have got better. I'd rather have spent more on a good manager than on the players.

Anyone fancy Bristol rovers?...The pirates are 10/1 in places' date='they have a few handy frontmen in the form of Zebroski,McGleish,Kuffour and Harrold.....I might go 5/2 on promotion....[/quote'] I'd agree with Hastgill's post, but I think 5/2 isn't that bad a price to go up. I think manager Buckle was already jumping ship from Torquay to join the Gas at playoffs stage. He's nabbed some of their betters players too. He'll have a much larger budget & has made a lot of changes but he's done well with Torquay, so I think he'll get the Gas to bond. 8/25 Exeter fans predict the Gas to win the league. Anyone got any views on Swindon? De Canio has made quite a few far flung transfers in.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Morning all, i was wondering does anyone know much about Crawley, is all the hype justified in there price for the league, or are they really too short a price? I really fancied Port Vale last year i thought with both the Richard's upfront they would do well and they did until Micky Adams left. They have sold Justin Richards, can Micky pick them back up from where he left off? Who is everyones pick to win the league and an outside bet? Im staying away from Rotherham if they sell Adam Le Fonde i think Cheers All

I'd agree with Hastgill's post, but I think 5/2 isn't that bad a price to go up. I think manager Buckle was already jumping ship from Torquay to join the Gas at playoffs stage. He's nabbed some of their betters players too. He'll have a much larger budget & has made a lot of changes but he's done well with Torquay, so I think he'll get the Gas to bond. 8/25 Exeter fans predict the Gas to win the league. Anyone got any views on Swindon? De Canio has made quite a few far flung transfers in.
Paolo has bought in a lot of unknown quantities this season and it's difficult to tell how the season will pan out. The fans are (as fans do) jumping on the bandwagon and saying we're gonna walk it but we heard the same last season and look what happened. I think another (proven) striker with a bit of a presence about them is needed before the title can be considered. Saying that Esajas (whos currently injured) and Ritchie should be two of the best wingers in the league! Both Oxford and Rovers worry me as much as I hate to say it. If Levin stays fit he'll be a very important player for Oxford.

I really fancied Port Vale last year i thought with both the Richard's upfront they would do well and they did until Micky Adams left. They have sold Justin Richards, can Micky pick them back up from where he left off?
I wouldn't bet on The Vale with a Stoke fans money mate. :( :cry I posted a thread last season that highlighted our problems before the bookies wised up, and the problems continue...sort of. The board were looking dead and buried the day before an EGM to remove them and put things in place for Mo Chaudry to take over, with a Birmingham based sports lawyer to take over as CEO (Kevin Harper James) with a name like that I know he'll be trouble though :p. However they dubiously bought £50,000 of shares from a single shareholder in order to cement their position. They thought that would be enough to stop the protests against them but if anything it has alienated them even more. The result of the EGM also meant that Vale were without an operating board resulting in Micky Adams becoming a Director, a move which has damaged the messiah-like status he enjoyed in his previous spell. There will be an anti board march against the board on Saturday and fans have signed a pledge to "Starve Em Out" and are boycotting buying anything from the club. As a result the club have suffered a shortfall from the pledges alone of over £250,000 although many believe the end could be closer to £500,000 as ST sales are thought to be around the 3,000, down by more than 50% on 2/3 yrs ago. The SEO pledges have agreed that they will support the club away from home under the banner 'Morons on Tour' (as a swipe at the Chairmans wife, who called us Morons for protesting last year.:eyes I think that Vale are close to admin, although I think that the board will resign and allow a takeover before then because they leave themselves open to legal action from shareholders for allowing a business to go into admin while a valid offer is on the table. That being said, a local non league club (Nantwich Town) has had to go public over Vale failing to pay a bill for the use of 3G facilities, and also cancelling a pre-season friendly that was part of the transfer agreement when Vale signed Richie Sutton. Vale fans are so embarassed by our club that plans are being made for us to go to Nantwich for a game to prove that the scum of our club is restricted to the boardroom.:@ There are whispers however that we could see a change in the next couple of weeks, and under Mo Chaudry and Kevin Harper James with MA I could see us blowing all (including Crawley) away.