** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

It's all relative to the price, fellas. I'm not doubting that the gap between League Two and BSP is smaller than L2>L1, but then you wouldn't see League Two champions at 4.5-5.5 the next season. The Munto Finance thing with Notts County resulted in them being very short for the League One title, not favourites, but something like 16/1, too short given that no-one what was going on. Akinde is good - 28 (10) for Ebbsfleet - so what did you think about Ashikodi 16 (11)? And what is he doing now? IMO just as many strikers have been hotshots in the BSP and then gone on to be mediocre in the League. To my mind, there probably will be some more expensive signings for Crawley, but the chances of them going into administration are just as likely as them winning the League. Unless someone can provide me with some more information on where their money is coming from.
The old debate about if good non-league strikers can make it in the League and always on the negitive side. Why dont you have a look at how Steve Morrison has done since he left Stevenage? Sometimes strikers have fluke seasons and score lots of goals I would say Fleetwood was one of those, but there are others like Morrision who are proven goalscorers season after season like Tubbs. For me Akinde offers a lot more than his goals and he was also only 18/19 when playing for Ebbsfleet and he is only 21 now which suggests plenty of scope for improvement. I think he made the mistake in leaving Ebbsfleet to soon but I think Crawley could be the perfect club for him.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I completely agree with Garyfinny. If I'm shelling out dosh on a 4/1 shot I'm going to want to know for certain that it's going to last the season and well we don't with Crawley do we? I think it's pretty certain it will go pop and end in tears at Crawley it's just when. I guess that'll be when someone genuinely looks into their finance but if the FL want to maintain their L2 salary cap that could easily be this season as there's no way Crawley would be falling under that cap and I don't see their crowds rising sufficiently to cover it either. What nobody has mentioned yet is yes Tubbs was by far and away the best striker in the BSP last year but he's tasted L2 football with Bournemouth and did absolutely nothing. Even allowing for the fact they've signed a couple of strikers you would imagine Tubbs would still need to get quite a few if Crawley are to be champions and that's another doubt. Over 46 games I'd be surprised if there isn't one side at least too good for Crawley but there will probably be a few more.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Think Tubbs is a better player now than he was then - remember he was playing for Salisbury then, I'm sure he's better prepared for the step up. Really, I have nothing against non-league strikers, but it has to be taken into context; it would be the same in any division, really. Would I tip a side for the Championship with a strike force of Mackail-Smith and Jordan Rhodes? No - there is no guarantee that just because they have bashed the goals in one League they will do it with another. Look at Aaron McLean. Of course, there will be players that have done it - but I have got my betting hat on here and I want to minimize my risks. You have two players that people are talking about (Akinde + Thomas) who even ardent fans would describe as 'raw'. Therefore there is going to be some variance in their performance. You have to say, look at Southend and Neil Harris - what a good signing and taking advantage of the fact that he lives local as well. Like Dougie Freedman and Shaun Goater before him, not only a great finisher but a clever player too. Don't think that's enough for me to have a bet on them though at this moment, they need more players.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season The Harris signing for Southend is a cracker but I'd be more inclined to back Harris for top scorer than to back Southend to get promotion. We went to Northampton in September and lost 2-0, having just the 1 shot on target and looking absolutely dreadful. Northampton were nothing special at their place but when they came to Valley Parade in March they were much improved and had plenty of shots on target, plenty of attacking play. The game was ruined by the ref, he awarded 2 penalties (theirs was never a penalty, not being biased, it was just a joke) 10 yellow cards and a red card but they looked very good. I expect them to look like a different side next season. In terms of non league strikers handling the step up our lad James Hanson came from Guiseley and had a good 1st season but was poor last season, always injured and apparently likes a drink (maybe a bit too much). The lad Ross Hannah we have signed got 52 goals for Matlock Town. Mickey Mouse league maybe but 52 goals is a bloody amazing return. We are getting rid of Jake Speight and that is a positive and there are rumours that Clayton Donaldson is talking to half a dozen clubs, us being one of them and he's Bradford born and was League 2 top scorer last season. Our lack of goals was embarrassing last season, awful goals for record on the road and we are addressing it but also need to sort out the defence. Donaldson, Hannah and Hanson up front would get goals but we have to stop them going in at the other end and like the Northampton fan's concern over their keeper we have the same problem, our keeper is not good enough. I have mentioned this name on the BCAFC message board but why has no-one at this level gone in for Roy Carroll? He has come back from playing in Denmark as it was affecting his family life, never seeing his kids etc. I'm sure people will say "high wages" but he is without a club, he can't exactly walk into a club and demand ridiculously high wages. He has had drink and gambling problems but seems to have sorted his demons out and would be a great signing at this level. I think he is still without a club unless someone has snapped him up.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Ive read plenty of good things about Ross Hannah and he deserves his chance at a higher level. If I was a manager of a League 2 club Id be very happy to have Tubbs/Akinde up front for me. I should say I have had an each-way double on Crawley and my fancies for the BSP in a bid to boost the returns.

Ive read plenty of good things about Ross Hannah and he deserves his chance at a higher level. If I was a manager of a League 2 club Id be very happy to have Tubbs/Akinde up front for me. I should say I have had an each-way double on Crawley and my fancies for the BSP in a bid to boost the returns.
I hope we win the league for you ;).

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Some good points and great to have fans views from as many clubs as possible involved. I think kevshat puts it best - Crawley are justifiable favourites but the bookies aren't dull and their odds are prohibitive. What that does mean is that we have good odds for an each way bet looking at second-third place. It'll give good value then if Crawley do slip up. It's a long season and plenty can change. I've kept an eye on Northampton for the past 2 years and the signing of Johnson at the helm is very interesting for me. I like the shout on dagenham too but I do have concerns about John still being poached which may end their hopes.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I think there are a couple of Torquay fans on here - what do you think of Guy Branston? We have just signed him on a 2 year deal, looked pretty good when I saw him at VP but would prefer an assessment over a season rather than the 1 game I saw him. We were in desperate need of an experienced centre back and for me that's a cracking signing.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season im a plymouth fan mowgli77. we had him years ago and then he has been at torquay amongst others, but yes a very good signing a commanding centre half at this level and should be a great signing for ya. a very commited player and a top pro by all accounts. could do with him back at plymouth:\

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Going to have a pop at Morecambe to be relegated at 5.5 Coral. They hardly set the world alight in the league last season and the season before promised so much as they finished in the play offs. They were very inconsistant which is why they finished very much mid-table. Sammy McIlroy has now left the club and defender Jim Bentley has took charge of the club. Bentley has no previous experience of management so that is already a negative, also his signings so far are not that exciting. He has signed up Kevin Ellison so far. However, there have been a lot of departures including influencial centre back Tony Capaldi and Chris Shuker. These players will obviously be replaced however will they be replaced with better players- I doubt not. Also keeping an eye on who Cheltenham bring in to replace Wesley Thomas who was by far their best player and top scorer last season. They may struggle to replace him.

Going to have a pop at Morecambe to be relegated at 5.5 Coral. They hardly set the world alight in the league last season and the season before promised so much as they finished in the play offs. They were very inconsistant which is why they finished very much mid-table. Sammy McIlroy has now left the club and defender Jim Bentley has took charge of the club. Bentley has no previous experience of management so that is already a negative, also his signings so far are not that exciting. He has signed up Kevin Ellison so far. However, there have been a lot of departures including influencial centre back Tony Capaldi and Chris Shuker. These players will obviously be replaced however will they be replaced with better players- I doubt not.
Sorry AHughes but I'm going to disagree with some of your opinions. I'm a Morecambe fan so may be biased in my views but hopefully I can share a different view on the situation. First of all I agree, we were crap last year. Moved into a new ground late, didn't have the pre season to gel a lot of new blood, had lost a number of influential players from the season before, and just didn't get it together. In my opinion Sammy lost the dressing room, their was a lot of unrest in the stands, and it was pretty touch and go if we'd stay up. Sammy resigned, was not pushed, however the choice to bring in Jim Bentley as player manager as got the place buzzing,more than if someone from outside had come in. Jim has been with the club a long time, got a lot of respect from the players and fans, was also reserve team manager last year, has already ensured that the quality players that were out of contract have been re-signed, the ones which were either past their best, under achieved ( Shuker ) or pushed ( Capaldi ) have gone. Aswell as new signing - Ellison and a bunch of lads who played for the reserves, there are others but apparently not allowed to be announced until July 1st. He's also brought in new backroom staff. We've got a full friendly fixture list ( listed below ) so expect to be a lot more prepard this year 28th June Pre season training starts Tues 12th July Raith Rovers Away 7.30 Sat. 16th July Blackburn Rovers Home 3p.m. Tues 19th July Carlisle Home 7.45 Fri 22nd July Derby Home 7.30 Mon 25th July Airbus Away 7.30 Wed 27th July Stewart Drummond Testimonial v Preston Sat 30th July Southport Away 3 p.m. Mon 1st August Manchester Utd X1 Home 7.45 so think will be a lot more prepared this year. I dont expect us to be runaway leaders but do think we will hold our own.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season P.S Further to my last post, there is one player we missed out on re-signing. That was Craig Stanley. IMO he was forced out by Sammy Mac, after approx 5 years at the club and went on loan to Torquay, where he helped them get to the playoffs. Jim Bentley did try to bring him back, but Paul Buckle who was in charge at Torquay but now gone to Bristol Rovers offered him a contract there within days of taking the new role. I think he will do a good job for them too.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Crawley continue, signing Hope Akpan from Everton after he was released, played in a couple of Europa League games for them and spent the end of last season on loan at Hull playing against QPR and Bristol City..Crawley apparently beat off competition from Championship and League One teams to sign him. Gillingham still don't have a goalkeeper or first choice striker :$

Crawley continue, signing Hope Akpan from Everton after he was released, played in a couple of Europa League games for them and spent the end of last season on loan at Hull playing against QPR and Bristol City..Crawley apparently beat off competition from Championship and League One teams to sign him. :$
Everytime I have seen Akpan play, albeit for Everton Reserves he has look jaded and struggled to get into the game.

Jase that is a very sensible post. Nice call on Plymouth as well who could very well do a Stockport. Thing is there is so much deadwood in this League it would be nice for two of them to go down. I think the only question with Crawley now is are they value at the current odds and my view is they are probably around the right price.
Doesn't get any better for Plymouth it seems....As Home Park and the surrounding land looks to have been sold off to these property developers. There are still lots of question marks.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Hi, Southend fan here. Unlike last season there are a lot of optimistic shrimpers fans ahead of the new season. Towards the backend of last season the team really started to gell (20 or so new players bought in a couple of weeks before the season started) Some of the chaff has been moved on leaving the nucleas of a decent if not spectacular outfit. Barry Corr did incredibly well to knock in 20 goals last season most of it with a back injury forcing him to miss games or be substituted early. The replacement strikers who came in for him could barely manage double figours between them. Corr twitterd that they would be signing two expereanced strikers with a proven pedigree in leagues above. Sure enough Bomber harris arrived shortly after and rumours going around that Scott McGleish will follow him in. The money problems appear to be resolving themselves with two new faces added to the board. Personally i shall be backing Southend on the handicap coupon if they are in receipt of 10 points or more. Apart from Chesterfield and Port Vale early season no team impressed me. A very poor league in my opinion. If Stevenage can get promoted theres hope for every team in league 2.

I see it looks like Gillingham are going to sign Danny Kedwell.
Would be surprised mate, we are going to have to sign players soon as we currently have a shadow squad but I think Kedwell might be beyond us as Don's will want a fee and we are essentially broke with a reduced wage budget. Latest rumour is Marvin Morgan joining but given that so far all rumours have led to nothing I would wait until everything is signed and sealed..

Would be surprised mate' date=' we are going to have to sign players soon as we currently have a shadow squad but I think Kedwell might be beyond us as Don's will want a fee and we are essentially broke with a reduced wage budget. Latest rumour is Marvin Morgan joining but given that so far all rumours have led to nothing I would wait until everything is signed and sealed..[/quote'] Said in the paper they had made a bid for him but AFC turned it down but it sounds like Kedwell wants to go there.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season After I got talked out of backing Morecambe for the drop I am thinking of backing Burton Albion to be relegated @ 9/1 Victor Chandler. Pesch is unhappy with his key players seeming to be on the move with Russ Penn gone and probably their best player in the 2nd half of the season in Jacques Maghoma leaving. They were uninspiring last season only just finishing above the drop and I think this season it will be harder to stay up. They're also weakening their squad and not strengthening at the moment. I would like to see if anyone has any thoughts on this ?

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season The following was highlighted on another football forum I follow http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Argyle-s-lead-administrator-gives-ahead-secretive/story-12813532-detail/story.html This is key for PL

Argyle are due to launch their League Two campaign against Shrewsbury Town on August 6 – but currently have no income, no kit, no sponsors and less than a dozen players. Senior members of staff – barely paid this year – have been forced to quit and some disenchanted supporters are calling for the formation of a new, non-League, side. Pre-season training has already been postponed by a week, until July 4, as behind-the-scenes work continues. Ridsdale said: "The amount that needs to be done is just unbelievable. "I have no kit at the moment, I haven't sold any advertising and we don't have any sponsors. We haven't got season tickets on sale yet, so at the moment there is no cashflow for next year. I've spoken to [manager] Peter Reid and he needs a team. We need [to have] 20 players."
Victor Chandlier currently offering Plymouth 12/1 to go down, might be a lot of value there

The following was highlighted on another football forum I follow http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/Argyle-s-lead-administrator-gives-ahead-secretive/story-12813532-detail/story.html This is key for PL Victor Chandlier currently offering Plymouth 12/1 to go down, might be a lot of value there
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11705_7006931,00.html New Twist in the story, Risdale has come out and says a flourish of players will be signing for Argyle.

Re: Npower League Two > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I honestly think it's too early to be putting these bets on. Players and managers have been on holiday and on the signings front I would only expect it to start hotting up from 1st July..Swindon, Plymouth, ourselves (and a fair few others probably) have hardly done anything on the transfer front yet and the current squads are not a fair representation of where they will be a couple of weeks before the start of the season.

Would be surprised mate' date=' we are going to have to sign players soon as we currently have a shadow squad but I think Kedwell might be beyond us as Don's will want a fee and we are essentially broke with a reduced wage budget. Latest rumour is Marvin Morgan joining but given that so far all rumours have led to nothing I would wait until everything is signed and sealed..[/quote'] I was wrong addpea was right. Danny Kedwell has signed today on a three year deal, his son plays for the youth team and he watched us as a kid. Could prove to be a great signing, time will tell.. New signings are to be announced soon, rumours are that Charlie Lee and Whepdale are next from Peterborough which would be major signings at this level, they turned our season around last year after arriving on loan, both turned down moves to Crawley earlier in the summer. Matt Fish is pretty certain to come in also from Dover, he looked a decent player when they played us.

Hi' date=' Southend fan here. Unlike last season there are a lot of optimistic shrimpers fans ahead of the new season. Towards the backend of last season the team really started to gell (20 or so new players bought in a couple of weeks before the season started) Some of the chaff has been moved on leaving the nucleas of a decent if not spectacular outfit. Barry Corr did incredibly well to knock in 20 goals last season most of it with a back injury forcing him to miss games or be substituted early. The replacement strikers who came in for him could barely manage double figours between them. Corr twitterd that they would be signing two expereanced strikers with a proven pedigree in leagues above. Sure enough Bomber harris arrived shortly after and rumours going around that Scott McGleish will follow him in. The money problems appear to be resolving themselves with two new faces added to the board. Personally i shall be backing Southend on the handicap coupon if they are in receipt of 10 points or more. Apart from Chesterfield and Port Vale early season no team impressed me. A very poor league in my opinion. If Stevenage can get promoted theres hope for every team in league 2.[/quote'] Having looked at the statistics I like the look of Southend. They are a team on the up, finished this season with roughly the same profile as Chesterfield the previous season and have a manager that has done this all before. Paul Sturrock took Plymouth up again with a similar profile to where Southend are now. Crawley for me are too short and no team has won the conference and then won the Lague 2 championship. Doncaster won League 2 in 03/04 and were promoted via the playoffs the previous season from the conference. Carlisle did the same in 05/06 after winning the playoffs in 04/05, until last season the last 4 sides to win the league 2 championship were teams relegated the previous season. For that reason I am also considering Bristol Rovers as they fit the profile of teams that have a tendency to yoyo back up the following season and have a new manager in Paul Buckle who took Torquay to the play off finals. I live in Plymouth (altho im a Torquay fan due to my birth place) - i would not expect Plymouth to do a Stockport and will probably be alright. They have some things in the pipeline apparently and if Peter Reid stays at the club i expect they will be fine, but probably wont go up either. So for me at this stage its Southend and Bristol Rovers however I will hold off on placing a bet until closer to the off. For me Crawley are way too short both for promotion and the championship - Bluesq were going 4/6 on promotion which is ridiculous!

I was wrong addpea was right. Danny Kedwell has signed today on a three year deal, his son plays for the youth team and he watched us as a kid. Could prove to be a great signing, time will tell.. New signings are to be announced soon, rumours are that Charlie Lee and Whepdale are next from Peterborough which would be major signings at this level, they turned our season around last year after arriving on loan, both turned down moves to Crawley earlier in the summer. Matt Fish is pretty certain to come in also from Dover, he looked a decent player when they played us.
Well there were actually 6 signings announced yesterday, Kedwell was joined by Whepdale, Montrose from Wycombe which should be a good signing, Frampton from Millwall who their supporters have said nothing but good things about, and Flitney and Fish from Dover..a good start in my opinion, need 2 or 3 more players though.