** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

What do people think of Exeter's chances of a top 6 finish this comming season? They impressed me last year' date=' can they consolidate and push on? Leyton Orient had a strong second half last year, I think they could also be strong in 2011/2012, be interested to hear peoples views on this.[/quote'] I really like Paul Tisadle at Exeter - I think he's one of the best managers in the division and has done a terrific job there. He's done an excellent job at developing players and seems to be able to make the most out of his limited resources. That said, they've no longer got Ryan Harley, who was one of the best midfielders in the league last season as far as I'm concerned, and I think they'll miss him. But they have signed Guillem Bauza who should fit into their team well. They'll probably have a decent season, but I think they may fall short of the playoffs again. Would like to see them do well though. I don't know as much about Orient, but they seem to have kept most of their squad together. Russell Slade has a decent record at this level with smaller clubs. Were it not for a slow start last season, they probably would have made the playoffs (or the fact that they seemed to choke whenever they got close to Bournemouth). I think they've definitely got a chance of making the top six, considering that the league looks weaker and a bit more wide-open this season.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like Paul Tisadle at Exeter - I think he's one of the best managers in the division and has done a terrific job there. He's done an excellent job at developing players and seems to be able to make the most out of his limited resources. That said, they've no longer got Ryan Harley, who was one of the best midfielders in the league last season as far as I'm concerned, and I think they'll miss him. But they have signed Guillem Bauza who should fit into their team well. They'll probably have a decent season, but I think they may fall short of the playoffs again. Would like to see them do well though. I don't know as much about Orient, but they seem to have kept most of their squad together. Russell Slade has a decent record at this level with smaller clubs. Were it not for a slow start last season, they probably would have made the playoffs (or the fact that they seemed to choke whenever they got close to Bournemouth). I think they've definitely got a chance of making the top six, considering that the league looks weaker and a bit more wide-open this season.
Cheers for the info, good stuff. Orient have lost McGleish to Bristol Rovers, he is fairly ancient at 37 but got 12 league goals for them last year so he will need replacing. I think they have an outside chance of playoffs but it will take calamitous seasons from some of the bigger clubs if they are to sneak in there.

I think they have an outside chance of playoffs but it will take calamitous seasons from some of the bigger clubs if they are to sneak in there.
Could happen. Sheff United and Preston look there for the taking. Wednesday don't look to have improved that much. Huddersfield are touted for promotion each year and it never happens. All big clubs for this level that could come unstuck because, in the case of Preston and Sheffield United, they'll have to adjust immediately. And they will find it difficult playing against sides that will see you as a big scalp. Then there's the losing mentality that would have to be turned around.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season The problem with the "smaller" teams, such as Carlisle and Exeter, is the squad size. To be honest I haven't realy followed each teams ins and outs. So I had to have a look after AHughes had mentioned Carlisle and I agree they have made a couple of good signings in McGovern and Welsh and think they have quite a good starting eleven but as soon as they lose a couple of players through injury/suspension they will begin to struggle. This will be the same for many of the smaller teams, and a lot of the time when a lesser team does well it's due to them not picking up many injuries/suspensions but how can you pick that.

Could happen. Sheff United and Preston look there for the taking. Wednesday don't look to have improved that much. Huddersfield are touted for promotion each year and it never happens. All big clubs for this level that could come unstuck because' date=' in the case of Preston and Sheffield United, they'll have to adjust immediately. And they will find it difficult playing against sides that will see you as a big scalp. Then there's the losing mentality that would have to be turned around.[/quote'] Ofcourse, both the Sheffield clubs look vunerable at this momment in time and they don't come bigger than that in League One. I don't think Preston are "there for the taking" though, Brown is a strong manager at football league level and Clarke Carlisle is an awesome signing for them.

FL1 - Brentford @ 17/2 To Be Promoted 2011/12 - Sporting Bet 1pt Recently appointed Uwe Rosler takes charge of a team that finished in 11th place last season; 10 points off the pace for a play-off spot. His summer dealings have got me interested and I think they are a decent outsider for promotion in the upcoming season. Rosler has already added Clayton Donaldson to his squad along with Jonathan Douglas, Marcel Eger, Shaleum Logan, Niall McGinn and is also looking for another loan player in the coming weeks. He has retained the services of Karleigh Osbourne (so far) who is a massive player for the Bees and got his business done early doors. Brentford lacked a double figure striker last season and I think Donaldson, who netted 28 times in League 2 last season, can step up to the plate and deliver. The Crewe fans certainly rate him "He's quick, got pace and power and his finishing is top notch." The Brentford fans are looking forward to the new season so they obviously feel their squadg is decent enough for a promotion push. I'll join the bandwagon at a tasty price.
Hi. Bees fan here making my debut and you talk a lot of sense. Team just came back from a tour of Norway, Rossler seemed to be known by every Norwegian in the country, and all the new signings apparently really bonded well. Yesterday saw our first pre- season friendly and it was noticeable for several reasons. 1. We won 10-0! A very un brentford score. 2. Although it was only against Tonbridge Angels, interestingly we played against them last year under Scott and it finished 0-0. 3. Star signing Donaldson didn't score a single goal in his 45 min run out, so we don't seem to be relying on him. 4. Donaldson clearly has had an effect as the other 2 strikers McDonald's and Alexander scored 4 and 3 goals respectively 5. So much more creativity than last season. McGinn from Celtic and Jonathan Douglas appear to have the flair and know how we've been missing. And Logan, a full back on loan from Manchester City, looked sensational when on the attack. On top of this we have 4 quality centre backs and the feeling is Osborne is going nowhere. Also Rossler has stated there will be a couple more signings in a couple of weeks, when clubs get back from their pre-season tours including another quality striker. The horror football under Scott is long gone and with a genuine Bees fan providing financial stability for the next few years, and the squad looking strong in all areas, this is a genuinely exciting time at Griffin Park. Those odds of 17/2 may just look ridiculous come the end of April.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Brentford are really interesting as they have made some very good signings for League One, just couldn't part with my cash just yet as the manager is the thing that worries me. Although I have heard they have been playing brilliant football in pre-seasoin from a few people who have seen them so it might be wise to get on soon if people fancy it. No news with squad additions at Sheffield Wednesday, we have pulled out of deals for Neil Mellor and Chris O'Grady today. Still need a creative midfielder, a winger and a striker to make the squad complete. In our pre season games we have looked very solid at the back but we don't have many goals in the team if we go into the season with the current squad. So for that reason we are still nowhere near being a decent bet for promotion let alone the title.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I understand your concerns with Rossler as were we when he joined. But in Norway he achieved great things on limited resources and is a legend over there. We won our last match 6-1 and just looked full of goals. Highlight was when an opposition player put a nasty tackle in and Rossler strides to the edge of the technical area and shouted 'Don't worry lads, just pass them to death'. Stoke on Friday will be an interesting indication of where we are. If we hold our own I'm going back in on the 8-1 for promotion, and even 25-1 for title. I think its a classic example of odds being set by the bookies based on the team from the previous season.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I'd be slightly concerned still with Brentford that the transition from defensively solid to attack minded might not be so swift..... Just a slight concern, but I still think they're worth a shout for promotion because sides like both the Sheffield clubs, Preston and Huddersfield are purely being priced on name alone.

Bees boss Uwe Rosler will employ a rotation system with his first team this season in order to be successful on four fronts this term. The Griffin Park chief will go into the League One campaign with a streamlined 23-man squad and has been quick to try a number of combinations in pre-season already. Brentford played 59 games last season as they reached the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final and the fourth round of the League Cup last term. And Rosler, who has assured all players they remain important to his plans, insists his men must perform when called upon. "We have put a smaller squad together, but a good level of quality. That means I believe in all the players I have. I believe in the rotation system," he said. "We have six games in August. I don't think I'll start one of the games with the same team that played the game before. "I believe that is the only way to cope with 46 League games and three cup competitions, and to be successful on all fronts. "Everybody is important, everybody will get games and it is up to them, when they get chance on the field, to make sure they stay on the field."
Looks like squad rotation is the name of the game here for Brentford this season. Not sure it works too well in the English game as there is no consistancy :unsure

I really like Paul Tisadle at Exeter - I think he's one of the best managers in the division and has done a terrific job there. He's done an excellent job at developing players and seems to be able to make the most out of his limited resources. That said' date=' they've no longer got Ryan Harley, who was one of the best midfielders in the league last season as far as I'm concerned, and I think they'll miss him. But they have signed Guillem Bauza who should fit into their team well. They'll probably have a decent season, but I think they may fall short of the playoffs again. Would like to see them do well though.[/quote'] As a City fan I'd agree with practically all of this. I have seen 45 mins of Bauza in a PSF & he looked a bit lightweight. Harley was class - hope he does well at Swansea. There haven't been any great additions so Tisdale will have to improve the players to finish in the same position.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Anyone want to critique my projections for the end of the season? I did use some of the information in this thread so the standings shouldn't be too terrible.

Huddersfield
Charlton
Brentford
Preston
Sheffield United
Milton Keynes Dons
Sheffield Wednesday
Scunthorpe
Bournemouth
Rochdale
Colchester
Carlisle
Notts County
Chesterfield
Leyton Orient
Tranmere
Oldham
Hartlepool
Exeter
Walsall
Wycombe
Bury
Stevenage
Yeovil

FL1 - Brentford @ 17/2 To Be Promoted 2011/12 - Sporting Bet 1pt Recently appointed Uwe Rosler takes charge of a team that finished in 11th place last season; 10 points off the pace for a play-off spot. His summer dealings have got me interested and I think they are a decent outsider for promotion in the upcoming season. Rosler has already added Clayton Donaldson to his squad along with Jonathan Douglas, Marcel Eger, Shaleum Logan, Niall McGinn and is also looking for another loan player in the coming weeks. He has retained the services of Karleigh Osbourne (so far) who is a massive player for the Bees and got his business done early doors. Brentford lacked a double figure striker last season and I think Donaldson, who netted 28 times in League 2 last season, can step up to the plate and deliver. The Crewe fans certainly rate him "He's quick, got pace and power and his finishing is top notch." The Brentford fans are looking forward to the new season so they obviously feel their squad is decent enough for a promotion push. I'll join the bandwagon at a tasty price.
Loaded up some more on the 7/1 with the Tote, which is now the best price. They are looking in great shape in pre-season which I initially thought they would do but a trader for a top bookie was well impressed with their peformance vs a solid Stoke side and quickly cut their odds. Uwe Rosler's stint in Norway was an impressive one and I'm pretty sure he can carry his work on in England. Not too worried about the 'rotation' story as they have a solid 23 man squad.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Right then, I've been biding my time waiting to see what happens before I give my opinion on Sheffield Wednesdays prospects this season. On first glance I absolutely accept that we have no rights to be favourites this season. It is a very hard league to be consistent in though I note that Huddersfield are now level in price with us to win the league. They have made a very good signing in the form of Tommy Miller from us and I do expect them to be there, or thereabouts, again this year. The most obvious thing to start with is going to be the summer transfer activity. So far we have made 4 signings; Rob Jones (Centre Half who was with us last year, and will be our captain), David Prutton and Jose Semedo (two centre-mid players who will be shoring us what was our weakest position last year) and Julian Bennett. From what I hear, Danny Batth, Neil Mellor and others are "very close" to signing.. all of these players could well play at a higher level and although we haven't brought in the quantity that some other teams have, I would be happy if the above all come in, with the 'others' being a winger and another forward (We currently have some Irish bloke on trial who has looked good in pre-season, I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him, good movement). You can see from how we are playing in pre-season that a lot of our football is centered around keeping possession and frustrating the opposition. Clearly Megson wants us to be a team that don't give many chances away and are hard to beat (who can blame him, we gave something like 10 penalties away last season). We also seem like we are going to have two main plans of attack - Jermaine Johnson has been given a bit of a free role and has been told to run at the opposition - his pace really does frighten people and hopefully we will be able to exploit the space that he will create. The second is going to be set pieces - Beevers, Jones, Madine, Bennett are all good in the air and I do expect us to be looking for some arial bombardment this year - it is what Megson is known for after-all. Our first XI will probably look something like follows: Weaver Buxton - Jones - Beevers - Bennett Johnson - Semedo - Prutton - Sedgewick (?) Madine - Clinton Morrison (?) I have, of course, put question marks in the positions I expect us to make new signings. Add to this our bench is looking like: O'Donnell, Otsemebor, Daniel Jones, Giles Coke, O'connor, Reynolds, Nyoni, Modest.. We do look to have strength in depth, especially if we make the 3 or 4 signings that we are looking at. Virtually all of those names above have played at a higher level and are more than capable of changing a game at this level. I do not expect us to all get on board HMS pisstheleague like the bookies seem to be doing, but there is a strong case for us dominating matches and really having a go next season. Don't forget last season we were hours away from going out of existence, changed managers, lost our 'keeper and best player and centre half/captain to Championship clubs, tried to buy a new back-4 in January (disaster) and at one bit had an injury crisis where we were struggling to put a full team out. We still managed to hit some form at the end of the season and finish mid-table. I will stick my neck out and say we will not suffer any of the above this season. Also bear in mind that our off the field structure has been improved massively, training and medical facilities included, since Milan Mandaric came in. I expect a big improvement, so here are my speculative bets for next season. Neil Mellor top scorer @ 25/1 with William Hill. I fully expect us to sign him - he scored 20 for us last season without taking any penalties and even on the chance that he stays at Preston, I think the price is great. Sheffield Wednesday to be promoted @ 13/8 with Bet365. I do not want to put us to win the league at 6's but this does seem to be a much more feasible bet, especially if you are going to double it up with the winner of the Prem or someone to get promoted/relegated from another league. I may add more and update as and when we make any signings. Hope this is helpful?

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Nice post. Semedo will give you 100% every game but dont expect much attacking from him. I think you boys will be one the main rivals along with Charlton, Brentford, Scunthorpe and MK Dons. Leyton Orient and Colchester should be there or there abouts too.

Anyone want to critique my projections for the end of the season? I did use some of the information in this thread so the standings shouldn't be too terrible.
Huddersfield
Charlton
Brentford
Preston
Sheffield United
Milton Keynes Dons
Sheffield Wednesday
Scunthorpe
Bournemouth
Rochdale
Colchester
Carlisle
Notts County
Chesterfield
Leyton Orient
Tranmere
Oldham
Hartlepool
Exeter
Walsall
Wycombe
Bury
Stevenage
Yeovil
Looks pretty solid overall, Leyton Orient and Sheff Wed will be higher than you predicted. Just can't see how huddersfield can better last years third place finish without Pilkington and what is basically a weaker squad in a stronger league.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Personally, I think odds cutting on a pre-season friendly is premature. I can recall plenty of excellent pre-season performances and results and plenty of bad ones - IMO there is little correlation on to how the team will perform in the season. A lot of people are suspecting that Rosler will come and do a Gus Poyet, I'm pretty certain this won't be the case. Very good squad but I can see Brentford dropping too many points to be considered as serious contenders, but they do have one of the better squads, I think they will be in the play-off mix at best. Signings aren't finished yet - there is still time for some great ones to be made.

Personally, I think odds cutting on a pre-season friendly is premature. I can recall plenty of excellent pre-season performances and results and plenty of bad ones - IMO there is little correlation on to how the team will perform in the season. A lot of people are suspecting that Rosler will come and do a Gus Poyet, I'm pretty certain this won't be the case. Very good squad but I can see Brentford dropping too many points to be considered as serious contenders, but they do have one of the better squads, I think they will be in the play-off mix at best. Signings aren't finished yet - there is still time for some great ones to be made.
I agree that you shouldnt base too much on pre-season friendlies but Stoke did have 9 of the FA cup team in the starting line up plus it was an important game as they are preparing for UEfa Cup this week. Out of interest on what basis do yo usee us dropping too many points (I'm not saying we wont but I'm curious why you think so). One more thing I forgot to add, we have an 18 year old who has come through the youth ranks who has been playing out of his skin at central midfield pre-season called Jake Reeves, who plays like Wilshere. He may end up starting alongside Jonathan Douglas for our first league match, which is pretty amazing bearing in mind he played 30 minutes the whole of last season. I would like us to sign another forward and then I think we are superbly equipped for the season ahead. Home to Watford tonight...

Right then, I've been biding my time waiting to see what happens before I give my opinion on Sheffield Wednesdays prospects this season. On first glance I absolutely accept that we have no rights to be favourites this season. It is a very hard league to be consistent in though I note that Huddersfield are now level in price with us to win the league. They have made a very good signing in the form of Tommy Miller from us and I do expect them to be there, or thereabouts, again this year. The most obvious thing to start with is going to be the summer transfer activity. So far we have made 4 signings; Rob Jones (Centre Half who was with us last year, and will be our captain), David Prutton and Jose Semedo (two centre-mid players who will be shoring us what was our weakest position last year) and Julian Bennett. From what I hear, Danny Batth, Neil Mellor and others are "very close" to signing.. all of these players could well play at a higher level and although we haven't brought in the quantity that some other teams have, I would be happy if the above all come in, with the 'others' being a winger and another forward (We currently have some Irish bloke on trial who has looked good in pre-season, I wouldn't be surprised if we signed him, good movement). You can see from how we are playing in pre-season that a lot of our football is centered around keeping possession and frustrating the opposition. Clearly Megson wants us to be a team that don't give many chances away and are hard to beat (who can blame him, we gave something like 10 penalties away last season). We also seem like we are going to have two main plans of attack - Jermaine Johnson has been given a bit of a free role and has been told to run at the opposition - his pace really does frighten people and hopefully we will be able to exploit the space that he will create. The second is going to be set pieces - Beevers, Jones, Madine, Bennett are all good in the air and I do expect us to be looking for some arial bombardment this year - it is what Megson is known for after-all. Our first XI will probably look something like follows: Weaver Buxton - Jones - Beevers - Bennett Johnson - Semedo - Prutton - Sedgewick (?) Madine - Clinton Morrison (?) I have, of course, put question marks in the positions I expect us to make new signings. Add to this our bench is looking like: O'Donnell, Otsemebor, Daniel Jones, Giles Coke, O'connor, Reynolds, Nyoni, Modest.. We do look to have strength in depth, especially if we make the 3 or 4 signings that we are looking at. Virtually all of those names above have played at a higher level and are more than capable of changing a game at this level. I do not expect us to all get on board HMS pisstheleague like the bookies seem to be doing, but there is a strong case for us dominating matches and really having a go next season. Don't forget last season we were hours away from going out of existence, changed managers, lost our 'keeper and best player and centre half/captain to Championship clubs, tried to buy a new back-4 in January (disaster) and at one bit had an injury crisis where we were struggling to put a full team out. We still managed to hit some form at the end of the season and finish mid-table. I will stick my neck out and say we will not suffer any of the above this season. Also bear in mind that our off the field structure has been improved massively, training and medical facilities included, since Milan Mandaric came in. I expect a big improvement, so here are my speculative bets for next season. Neil Mellor top scorer @ 25/1 with William Hill. I fully expect us to sign him - he scored 20 for us last season without taking any penalties and even on the chance that he stays at Preston, I think the price is great. Sheffield Wednesday to be promoted @ 13/8 with Bet365. I do not want to put us to win the league at 6's but this does seem to be a much more feasible bet, especially if you are going to double it up with the winner of the Prem or someone to get promoted/relegated from another league. I may add more and update as and when we make any signings. Hope this is helpful?
Very interested to hear the thoughts of another Wednesday fan. I agree with the majority of the starting eleven but don't see Morrison starting even if we haven't signed another striker come 6th August, can see GM playing Madine up front on his own with a five man midfield. The squad still looks far too thin to sustain any sort of challenge for promotion, if Johnson or Sedgwick get injured (which with JJ's injury record it is highly likely) then we are struggling for anyone to play out wide, we saw how poorly Coke played out there the back end of last season. The defence looks very good as we have all the players listed above and also Reda Johnson who will deputise for either centre half if they get suspended/injured. My main worry is the amount of goals we will score, as GM seems a lot more keen on keeping clean sheets I think we could struggle to score the amount of goals needed. I still think we need at least a striker and a winger before even considering taking such a short price on promotion. In transfer news we had agreed a fee with Rochdale for Chris O'Grady and also agreed personal terms but he has turned the move down, plus we still have the offer for Mellor on the table but can't agree personal terms. We play Barnsley tonight and I shall be at the game so shall report back on anything worthwhile.

Personally, I think odds cutting on a pre-season friendly is premature. I can recall plenty of excellent pre-season performances and results and plenty of bad ones - IMO there is little correlation on to how the team will perform in the season. A lot of people are suspecting that Rosler will come and do a Gus Poyet, I'm pretty certain this won't be the case. Very good squad but I can see Brentford dropping too many points to be considered as serious contenders, but they do have one of the better squads, I think they will be in the play-off mix at best. Signings aren't finished yet - there is still time for some great ones to be made.
Pretty much said exactly what I was going to say. This pre-season we have beaten Blackburn, Wigan and Blackpool; do i think we will be pushing for promotion, no. A couple of seasons ago Leyton Orient hammered Newcastle Uniteds first team 6-1, Newcastle went on to stroll the Championship whilst Leyton Orient survived by 1 point. Pre-season games may have a bearing on the first few games, as it can give confidence to a team or one team maybe more prepared than an other but over a whole season I dont think you can read to much into pre-season games. I think Brentford will be pushing for promotion/play offs, but I can't see them getting automatics. IMO the best they could hope for is scraping into the play-offs and I wouldnt fancy them then as I believe there would be 1 or 2 stronger teams than them in there. (Wouldnt have them finishing third, as in the table above)

In transfer news we had agreed a fee with Rochdale for Chris O'Grady and also agreed personal terms but he has turned the move down, plus we still have the offer for Mellor on the table but can't agree personal terms.
Not sure O'Grady would be a hit with you guys, it depends on what type of football you play. He was with us when we had Sheridan as manager, Sheridan obiously liked passing football, playing from the back and he didnt fit in. We ended up letting him go and he has ended up doing great at Rochdale. I believe thats because they suit his game perfectly. Hes a big strong lad so his main role is a hold up player. Rochdale tended to get it up to him as quickly as possible, he would hold it up allowing more players to join in the attack. Not sure what type of football you play under Megson but i doubt it will be boot it upfield to one player, he holds it whilst the others join in. I think O'Grady will carry on well at Rochdale but im not sure a big transfer would be good for him. You shouldn't be too fussed if you miss out on him.

I agree that you shouldnt base too much on pre-season friendlies but Stoke did have 9 of the FA cup team in the starting line up plus it was an important game as they are preparing for UEfa Cup this week. Out of interest on what basis do yo usee us dropping too many points (I'm not saying we wont but I'm curious why you think so). One more thing I forgot to add, we have an 18 year old who has come through the youth ranks who has been playing out of his skin at central midfield pre-season called Jake Reeves, who plays like Wilshere. He may end up starting alongside Jonathan Douglas for our first league match, which is pretty amazing bearing in mind he played 30 minutes the whole of last season. I would like us to sign another forward and then I think we are superbly equipped for the season ahead. Home to Watford tonight...
You could just as easily argue that Stoke didn't want to get players injured for an important game; but I can't put too much into that. For instance, I'm not going to lay Stoke against Hadjuk citing that they lost their last match against League One opposition. For me, I feel that it's asking a lot at this juncture. I watched Brighton several times last season both live and on TV - they didn't have the best players, but certainly the best coach by a long stretch. Their system was adaptable and took into account their opponents which made them hard to play against. IMO this gave them a big advantage against the bigger sides like Sheff W/Charlton who had a certain arrogance (we have better players so we will play our usual way and that should win). Certainly Peterborough suffered badly for this despite having some of the best defenders and keeper in the division, but had one of the worst defensive records. Many games will be tight and concentrated on key flashpoints. A guy may have scored a great goal, but a manager might have known from past experience that he's all left foot and told his team to show him onto the right. Difference between a draw and a win, or a draw and a loss. Gus Poyet had the season before to watch League One and he had good experience from Leeds; he probably knew by watching, the strengths and weaknesses of most players at other clubs. Compare this to Rosler, and he won't have heard of many of the players he will be coming up against. I think Rosler has done well in Norway, but to get auto you need at least 85+ points, I don't see that happening here, but perhaps next season if the money keeps on coming in. I quite like Sheffield United in this case - no-one has really been talking about them, but they've got a good manager in charge who knows the division well. A lot will depend on who leaves but they still have some decent players there. Can't be on Wednesday with Megson in charge. I worry about his style of play - narrow, defensive football was what got Wednesday into the lower-half of League One in the first place, I think Megson will be too set in his ways.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I think its all about value. I would much rather be on a strong side with an outside chance at 19/2 then back a slightly more experienced side at 5/2 but then that's just me. The Football League is that unpredictable I would never ever back one of the favourites because they rarely back up the hype put on their shoulders. We will all have to agree to disagree but even if it doesn't materialise then I have only staked a mediocre amount on Brentford whereas people backing Huddersfield will have to lump on quite a lot of points to produce a decent return. That's just how I see it.

I think its all about value. I would much rather be on a strong side with an outside chance at 19/2 then back a slightly more experienced side at 5/2 but then that's just me. The Football League is that unpredictable I would never ever back one of the favourites because they rarely back up the hype put on their shoulders. We will all have to agree to disagree but even if it doesn't materialise then I have only staked a mediocre amount on Brentford whereas people backing Huddersfield will have to lump on quite a lot of points to produce a decent return. That's just how I see it.
I opened an account with the Tote to have a substantial bet at 7s. In the 3 minutes it took to open the price went to 5/1. This happens regularly!! Brentford are no longer value, value is everything. Hudds 6/4 for promotion is pitiful. Best two players have left, new, expected striker has not arrived and the 28 match unbeaten run was a freak as they were outplayed in half the matches. Huddersfield should be 10/1 the league.

I opened an account with the Tote to have a substantial bet at 7s. In the 3 minutes it took to open the price went to 5/1. This happens regularly!! Brentford are no longer value, value is everything. Hudds 6/4 for promotion is pitiful. Best two players have left, new, expected striker has not arrived and the 28 match unbeaten run was a freak as they were outplayed in half the matches. Huddersfield should be 10/1 the league.
I agree that Brentford are no longer value, but to be fair I ws banging on about it when we were 8/1. Its a valid point made earlier that Rossler has no experience of League 1 football, and If we get down to odds on during the season I will be laying off anyway and take a lovely profit if we go up. I cant stress enough how we are a completley different team /squad to the one from last year in terms of the way we play and getting rid of the dead wood. With the exception of Schlupp from Leicester none of our loan signings were any better than what we had. Gary Alexander though is like a new signing, I think he's lost about 4 stone and isnt knackered after the warm up.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season 0-0 last night. Seemed more of a match to give people match time than any great team plan or style of play. Reeves came on for last 20 minutes and the performance level of the team jumped. Beginning to get quite excited about the boy. Looks like we are going to be hard to beat if nothing else, conceding no goals against a premiership and championship side isnt too bad. Definitely need that speedy striker to be bought though. It was confirmed by managemnet last night at least that we are in for 1 or 2 mor players. We all hope its Schlupp from Leicester.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Just another tit-bit of information from Sheffield 6. SWFC Have today released their squad numbers and there is no number 8, 9 or 10. Neil Mellor is still in the pipeline and Chris Wood of West Brom is also being touted (Helped Brighton go up last season, anyone know much about this kid?). The winger is the lad from Huddersfield, Roberts, if he can pass a medical. I thank you..

Just another tit-bit of information from Sheffield 6. SWFC Have today released their squad numbers and there is no number 8, 9 or 10. Neil Mellor is still in the pipeline and Chris Wood of West Brom is also being touted (Helped Brighton go up last season, anyone know much about this kid?). The winger is the lad from Huddersfield, Roberts, if he can pass a medical. I thank you..
Better asking in here : http://forum.punterslounge.com/f27/whats-player-like-thread-118421/