** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season As a Charlton supporter I would like to put a small recommendation forward for the 14/1 currently available on us to win the league. There are plenty of question marks following last season’s flop and none more so than the ability of rookie boss and club legend Chris Powell, who looked tactically naive at certain times during our woeful 8 match losing run towards the end of last season. However the 14/1 is only represntitive of that and I do believe he will learn from his mistakes. Add to that the fact he inherited a poor squad of mainly free transfers and was forced to make rash loan buys which didn’t gel at all. The main reason for this recommendation however is the investment in players that is happening right now. Under the new regime of Slater and Jimenez there is clearly money to spend and from the interviews I have heard from these guys they don’t intend staying this league for long. Is time last year our then chairman Richard Murray said the best we could possibly hope for was to finish in the play offs and that was reflected in the players we bought, this year Slater has stated the only goal is win the championship. We have already bought 6 players including Xabi Alonso's Brother Mikel from Tenerife, Danny Hollands who was one of Bournmouth's main catalysts last year in their unexpected play off charge and Paul Hayes who has been promoted twice previously in this league and should prove to be a perfect foil for Bradley Wright Phillips. Powell has also stated that we should expect another 6 players this summer and money is no object should the right player be available. Apparently we have recently had 400k bid for Danny Green from Dagenham accepted. Overall the future looks bright at the Valley this season and after 7 years on the bounce where we have finished lower in the league pyramid than the previous season this could finally be the season when we start to make some steps back to where we belong. Charlton to win league 14/1 2pts e/w

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Is Powell good enough then? I had money on charlton on the handicap list year so still unhappy with his swan dive out of contention. Does he have the ability to improve that much, particularly gelling almost a new squad, by the sounds of it...

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Hi Aliando, The answer to your question is a great big question mark, however I have the feeling how won't be given much manoeuvrability by this board. What I do know is we have owners, who seems to want to get out of the division at any cost and for that reason the 14/1 can only be a good thing. Of the others Huddersfield look rock solid and as long as they their best players such as Rhodes, Peter Clarke and Antony Kay stay put and replace some of the ageing defenders as they have done already they should be difficult to beat under the promising manager Lee Clarke.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Totally agree on Charlton. I wanted to wait till all the signings had been made before taking any ante-post bets but I thought the price of 14/1 was too good (sorry for after-posting, but somebody already tipped it so its alright ;)). Still available at 12s which I still think is a good price and I think it may drop after they announce their two new signing tomorrow. They are expected to announce the signings of Green (as already mentioned by Socky) for £400k from D&R and Dale Stephens from us for £375k. Two very good signings at this level. They are realy starting to build a very good team for the new season and with BWP upfront I think they will be a serious threat. They still need a few signings in defence (central) but im sure Powell is well aware of that and will get hat department sorted

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Rhyce Wiggings, Danny Green and Dale Stephens all signed in the last few days for a total of around a million pound:clap:clap. All looking very promising and they are going to a full pre season tour in Spain to bind them together.12/1 starting to fade fast.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Totally agree about Powell, but as Ive said I dont think he will be given too much leway should things go wrong early and if that is the case they we learn by theiir mistakes and bring in an old head.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I like the look of Preston. They have a manager in place that joined and started to do some good work albeit too late to avoid relegation. Phil Brown has managed at all levels and will be keen to get his Preston side back up again at the first opportunity. Brighton won the league last season and have a profile of a club that is well run, well funded and have a nice new stadium. There is a similar parallel to Chesterfield, league 2 winners last time out. I'm really amazed that Sheff Weds are favs and feel Sheff United have some rebuilding to do with Danny Wilson now in charge. Before last season we saw the league won by relegated teams for the 2 seasons previous, Norwich and Leicester. So i see a return to that form line and expect Preston to come out on top. As with Bournemouth this season I expect Chestefield to go well following promotion and may make the playoffs - i doubt they will win the league though. Chris Powell in my view does not come up to the knowledge or ability of Danny Wilson or Phil Brown so I will be discounting Charlton from my final selections. Its a bit early for me to place a bet but its Preston for me.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Just a small word of warning for anyone thinking of taking any the 3 relegated sides from championship, wait to see what happens in the transfer market. Sheff U are apparentley in deep do do moneywise and as the likes of Leeds, Southampton, Sheff Wed and Charlton have discovered bouncing back at the first time of asking is a tough ask. Of the three relegated sides I actually fear Scunthorpe the most, dont mean to be rude to the previous poster and certianlly not saying this out of spite but I couldnt back Preston with stolen money and would be willing take 1/1 match up against Charlton for as much money as you are willing to put up. I actually think the 20/1 for them to be relegated is worth a couple quid, you need more than a good manager to do well in this league. Only an opinion though and I could well be wrong.All Im saying is they seem to be selling more than buying and if the likes of St Ledger and Mellor leave to add the players who not signed new contracts already they could be looking very threadbare and from what Ive heard have a very small wage budget this year.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Agree with Scunthorpe, Barcham and Ryan could potentially be decent signings. I like Knill as a manager and think he's very capable of taking Scunthorpe back up. Saw they signed the lad Robertson, who was in prison for death by dangerous driving. I remember him being rated earlier on in his career, not kept on by St Johnstone isnt very inspiring, anyone know how he got on there?

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season After a cracking couple of seasons, AFC Bournemouth are not obvious relegation candidates, but 7/1 at Hills for the drop is a bit of value for me in percentage terms (VCbet have already trimmed them from 8s). They were a touch unlucky not to end last season in the play-off final, but that momentum is in danger of being lost as key elements in their impressive squad have moved on. They are certainly going to miss Jason Pearce and Rhoys Wiggins, and I wouldn't be surprised by more departures. There are gaps to be filled and this should be just the talent-nurturing club to at least hold station next season, but off the field there have also been departures, as chairman Eddie Mitchell - who won few popularity contests (or, for that matter, football matches) in his time running Dorchester Town in the Conference South - has seen the highly successful head of youth development depart and the chief scout resign. Though they probably have the means to be safe, there is a danger that they could be in for a troubling season, and in those circumstances I think 7/1 is far too high. I think they are much closer to the 11/4 mark.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Danny Hollands have moved to us too as well as Wiggings. Speaking to a Bourmouth fan at work who thinks they could struggle too. The only downside is that there are maybe 10-12 teams who could drop this year and a lot will depend on injuries and luck. But as you say they will be there or thereabouts at the bottom so 7/1 looks like a bet that should be layable very early given a tough looking start to the season.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season FL1 - Brentford @ 17/2 To Be Promoted 2011/12 - Sporting Bet 1pt Recently appointed Uwe Rosler takes charge of a team that finished in 11th place last season; 10 points off the pace for a play-off spot. His summer dealings have got me interested and I think they are a decent outsider for promotion in the upcoming season. Rosler has already added Clayton Donaldson to his squad along with Jonathan Douglas, Marcel Eger, Shaleum Logan, Niall McGinn and is also looking for another loan player in the coming weeks. He has retained the services of Karleigh Osbourne (so far) who is a massive player for the Bees and got his business done early doors. Brentford lacked a double figure striker last season and I think Donaldson, who netted 28 times in League 2 last season, can step up to the plate and deliver. The Crewe fans certainly rate him "He's quick, got pace and power and his finishing is top notch." The Brentford fans are looking forward to the new season so they obviously feel their squad is decent enough for a promotion push. I'll join the bandwagon at a tasty price.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season To be relegated - Rochdale 10/3 @ Bet365 As stated above there are quite a few teams that could be drawn into a relegation battle in League 1, but my choice is last years overachievers Rochdale. They have lost Keith Hill to Barnsley and replaced him with a rookie manager in Steve Eyre, adding to this Scott Wiseman and Matty Done have also jumped ship for Barnsley. There are also rumours that Chris O'Grady is on the move to divisional rivals Sheffield Wednesday, this then leaves them very light on players. I know Eyre will use his contacts to sign a few players but I think it will be tough for them to stay up with all the rebuilding they have to do. As per a comment above regarding Sheff Wed, I am fan and I think the price on us to win the league is ridiculous. We have only signed 4 players in David Prutton, Rob Jones, Julian Bennett and Jose Semedo whilst Tommy Miller, Micheal Morrison, Paul Heffernan, Neil Mellor, Tommy Spurr and Gary Teale to name a few have left the club. We also only have 2 recognised strikers in Gary Madine and Clinton Morrison, one of which Megson is trying to get out of the club so we still need a lot of players in before I would even consider having a punt on us.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

To be relegated - Rochdale 10/3 @ Bet365 As stated above there are quite a few teams that could be drawn into a relegation battle in League 1, but my choice is last years overachievers Rochdale. They have lost Keith Hill to Barnsley and replaced him with a rookie manager in Steve Eyre, adding to this Scott Wiseman and Matty Done have also jumped ship for Barnsley. There are also rumours that Chris O'Grady is on the move to divisional rivals Sheffield Wednesday, this then leaves them very light on players. I know Eyre will use his contacts to sign a few players but I think it will be tough for them to stay up with all the rebuilding they have to do.
Interesting shout on Rochdale, and I'd probably have agreed with you after Hill went - he is certainly a hard act to follow. But Steve Eyre has done a very decent job in the early horse-trading, bringing in - amongst others - Marc Twaddle and Ashley Grimes and somehow keeping Gary Jones on board. Given the squad he's putting together, I think they'll be closer to the play-offs than the bottom four, and they'll most likely represent a decent punt on the handicap.

With regards to Sheffield wed... Is mandaric making money available? I've got wed on my shortlist and I think one of the things in their favour is the ability to bring players in through the season either being bought or on loan. They are a big club and would be able to attract some names that would not go to most other league one clubs. But, from memory, mandaric tends to run clubs business like rather than driven solely for promotion.

With regards to Sheffield wed... Is mandaric making money available? I've got wed on my shortlist and I think one of the things in their favour is the ability to bring players in through the season either being bought or on loan. They are a big club and would be able to attract some names that would not go to most other league one clubs. But' date=' from memory, mandaric tends to run clubs business like rather than driven solely for promotion.[/quote'] He's told Megson there are funds available, we have bid for Neil Mellor from Preston who is pretty keen to come to us again after last season but we are haggling over the price at the minute. GM is also talking to Lloyd Dyer from Leicester who would be a brilliant addition but some Championship clubs are interested. As previously stated we are also set to launch a bid for Rochdale's Chris O'Grady this week and Manadaric seems pretty confident on getting him. Megson has stated in the local media that he is keen to sign players he has worked with previously which led to us being linked with Jason Koumas but he has said he'll only sign if he can't get a deal with a Championship club. We could be a decent bet in a few weeks when the squad starts to take shape but I can't see any value at the minute.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Perhaps one of the most concerning aspects for Sheffield Wednesday at the moment if the fact that Neil Mellor and Tommy Miller aren't at the club anymore (although Wednesday are trying to get Mellor back), leaving a 30 goal hole which hasn't been filled. The moves currently made in the transfer market will undoubtedly make Wednesday a lot more resolute defensively, but there is a worrying lack of creativity and goals in the team at the moment. Even in the lower leagues, teams who are able to retain possession and play with pace tend to do better than those who play direct or long-ball football. Wednesday are devoid of any pace (apart from Jermaine Johnson, who will probably spend half of the season injured anyway), the players aren't entirely comfortable with the ball at feet, and Megson's managerial philosophy is rooted in direct football. At it stands I'd anticipate as lot of low-scoring games involving Wednesday next season, and would be reluctant to recommend them for automatic promotion. Although I do think the division is weaker this year than last, and it is quite wide open for the top two places.

Perhaps one of the most concerning aspects for Sheffield Wednesday at the moment if the fact that Neil Mellor and Tommy Miller aren't at the club anymore (although Wednesday are trying to get Mellor back), leaving a 30 goal hole which hasn't been filled. The moves currently made in the transfer market will undoubtedly make Wednesday a lot more resolute defensively, but there is a worrying lack of creativity and goals in the team at the moment. Even in the lower leagues, teams who are able to retain possession and play with pace tend to do better than those who play direct or long-ball football. Wednesday are devoid of any pace (apart from Jermaine Johnson, who will probably spend half of the season injured anyway), the players aren't entirely comfortable with the ball at feet, and Megson's managerial philosophy is rooted in direct football. At it stands I'd anticipate as lot of low-scoring games involving Wednesday next season, and would be reluctant to recommend them for automatic promotion. Although I do think the division is weaker this year than last, and it is quite wide open for the top two places.
I agree with the lack of creativity comment but the squad is a long way from finished, with the rumours of transfers it looks like Megson is trying to address that. Miller not a massive loss really as I think he only scored 2 from open play last year with the majority coming from the penalty spot. Mellor on the other hand would be a major loss if he didn't come back but Mandaric seems pretty confident of sealing the deal. We still need some significant signings but could be up there come the end of the season, the division isn't as strong as last year and the teams that did well last year have been significantly weaked.

Perhaps one of the most concerning aspects for Sheffield Wednesday at the moment if the fact that Neil Mellor and Tommy Miller aren't at the club anymore (although Wednesday are trying to get Mellor back), leaving a 30 goal hole which hasn't been filled. The moves currently made in the transfer market will undoubtedly make Wednesday a lot more resolute defensively, but there is a worrying lack of creativity and goals in the team at the moment. Even in the lower leagues, teams who are able to retain possession and play with pace tend to do better than those who play direct or long-ball football. Wednesday are devoid of any pace (apart from Jermaine Johnson, who will probably spend half of the season injured anyway), the players aren't entirely comfortable with the ball at feet, and Megson's managerial philosophy is rooted in direct football. At it stands I'd anticipate as lot of low-scoring games involving Wednesday next season, and would be reluctant to recommend them for automatic promotion. Although I do think the division is weaker this year than last, and it is quite wide open for the top two places.
As a Forest fan, I'd like to voice a certain amount of concern on your behalf with Gary Megson. When he was at Forest he seemed to buy defender after defender with a sprinkling of defensive midfielders. We were short upfront and the few strikers he did buy were not great. He seemed to have an obsession with centre backs. I think we started one game with 6 centre backs in the starting 11. The man was depressingly defensive. He's not the kind of manager I'd want at a club that are a big fish in a small pond. Apologies if I'm overly negative. Would be nice to see you back in the Championship. But I wouldn't even touch Wednesday if they were 10/1 with the way they are at the moment. I suppose for league 1 I'm looking at Charlton. They're making some good signings and I reckon could do well this season. Only slight doubt is the manager.

Re: Npower League One > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season What do people think of Exeter's chances of a top 6 finish this comming season? They impressed me last year, can they consolidate and push on? Leyton Orient had a strong second half last year, I think they could also be strong in 2011/2012, be interested to hear peoples views on this.

I agree with the lack of creativity comment but the squad is a long way from finished, with the rumours of transfers it looks like Megson is trying to address that. Miller not a massive loss really as I think he only scored 2 from open play last year with the majority coming from the penalty spot. Mellor on the other hand would be a major loss if he didn't come back but Mandaric seems pretty confident of sealing the deal. We still need some significant signings but could be up there come the end of the season, the division isn't as strong as last year and the teams that did well last year have been significantly weaked.
I didn't realise that Miller only got two from open play last year - not such a big loss then. Although he was one of few attacking minded midfielders in the squad, and I'd have much rather have seen him stay on instead of James O'Connor. I'm hoping we can get Mellor back, as he really is a key player for us and a great player at this level. I know we've been linked with O'Grady at Rochdale, but from the limited amount I saw of him last season he seems like a similar player to Madine - hard working and links-up play, but not prolific. And as I say, we desperately need some pace in the team. At times last season, Wednesday were so slow at attacking and struggled to hit teams on the break. When we hit it long, the strikers often found themselves isolated because the midfield were so far behind play.
As a Forest fan, I'd like to voice a certain amount of concern on your behalf with Gary Megson. When he was at Forest he seemed to buy defender after defender with a sprinkling of defensive midfielders. We were short upfront and the few strikers he did buy were not great. He seemed to have an obsession with centre backs. I think we started one game with 6 centre backs in the starting 11. The man was depressingly defensive. He's not the kind of manager I'd want at a club that are a big fish in a small pond. Apologies if I'm overly negative. Would be nice to see you back in the Championship. But I wouldn't even touch Wednesday if they were 10/1 with the way they are at the moment. I suppose for league 1 I'm looking at Charlton. They're making some good signings and I reckon could do well this season. Only slight doubt is the manager.
Hi. I remember how badly Megson did with Forest at this level, and it is a concern. Megson's supporters point to his achievements at West Brom (and he did do well with them), but this was ten years ago and football has moved on. Like you say, all of our signings have been defensive, while none of our attacking players have been replaced (yet). With three weeks to go we only have two strikers and two wingers! Chalton look to have one of the strongest squads in the division, but Powell is a managerial rookie. They weren't great after he took over last season, but he has got a stronger squad to play with this time. It'll probably be easier to assess them 10 games or so into the season.