** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season West Ham really stand out for me. So far they've bagged taylor (bolton) and Nolan (Newcastle) premiership class and have so far managed to keep hold of cole and parker etc... Ok Leicester have been spending but id say the players brought in have only been of championship level at best and Leeds fans werent to bothered losing schmeical which tells you they didnt have enough confidence in him tho being the son of a legend is some weight on ya shoulders. But beyond these 2 teams i cant see who else is up for the chase at the mo

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season hope some of you got on the 10/1 with skybet for Birmingham to be relegated,i recommended.Now down to 5/1 with the same firm .With the rest of last seasons players set to leave ,there wont be anyone left.Could even end up under administration !....automatic points deduction.....suppose i,ll have to go and support the moors:lol

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Is Parker definitely staying at West Ham? Also, has Fat Sam sorted their striker problem yet? I'd take them but I'm scared Sam will get his head turned if Mourinho leaves Real...:D
HAHA Think the big buzz bout big sam seems to be cooling these days. But see your point. But its a guessing game with every club until that deadline. Nolan will get goals and taylor got a good shot on him. They'l also have the hunger to bounce straight back to prem. Cant say the same for the other 2 relegated teams, think they'l struggle. Brum look like they r falling apart so good tip but may av missed the train for any value in that now

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Whats with the negative Birmingham jibes? Yes, they're all over the place at the moment in the boardroom but I think still they have made some shrewd signings in Marlong King, Adam Rooney, Chris Burke and Caldwell. All these players are far capable of coping with this league also add into the fact that the manager is Chris Hughton who also stabalized Newcastle when they went down and were expected to be in trouble.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Ahughes, the difference is, Newcastle had a top class squad to compete at this level, Birmingham havent, yep theyve made a few signings, but theres about 8-10 players who have left. If they get any injuries, like they did last year, they are going to struggle big time, i think they will without injuries anyway. At the moment they have only Rooney fit upfront, and playing a 451 formation

Appreciate that this is only 2 examples and it's only pre season but there may be a massive change in style employed by Barnsley this season. Some very nice keep ball played on that video.
Be interested to see how Keith Hill does there this season. Limited resources but he is rated quite highly, Palace were considering getting him in after Burley got smoked. South Eastern Ram, would like to know your thoughts on some kind of Birmingham LAY for the first game of the season, maybe Derby +0.25. From what I gather you have not had a great pre-season, what's your team like this year? I just get the feeling you will get at least a point from the blues game.

Be interested to see how Keith Hill does there this season. Limited resources but he is rated quite highly, Palace were considering getting him in after Burley got smoked. South Eastern Ram, would like to know your thoughts on some kind of Birmingham LAY for the first game of the season, maybe Derby +0.25. From what I gather you have not had a great pre-season, what's your team like this year? I just get the feeling you will get at least a point from the blues game.
I'd leave our game alone, a few new players, some key injuries and a lot of guess work as to what the starting line up will be. Shaun Barker is out and Jason Shackell is slowly returning from injury so is unlikely to be fully fit. Those two would probably be our first choice centre back pairing, Shackell may well start though. Our only defensive midfielder is also out, James Bailey, who's a decent young footballer. Our striking options are very limited, i think Clough will go with Tyson and Steve Davies. I dont rate Steve Davies at all, think he offers very little as a striker. Tyson has rarely been seen by all accounts as a striker at Forest so bit of an unknown as to how he'll get on. He's quick but im not quite sure what else he'll offer. The scottish lads we've signed, Bryson and Maguire may well feature but Brysons missed a lot of pre season and Maguires only shown bits and pieces. Based on our pre season form i wouldnt want to be backing us, losses at Crewe and Exeter plus an apparent boring 1-1 draw at Morecambe. Played Burton twice, with a decent side out we beat them but then lost to them with a much younger side. I know it's only pre season but we've shown a lack of attacking threat and goals, fans are slightly concerned. Very difficult to predict and to be blunt i havent a clue how we'll get on this season, pre season signals are suggesting to me that we'll struggle once again as long as Clough is manager, it's make or break time for him now, this is his squad and his excuses are wearing thin.

I'd leave our game alone, a few new players, some key injuries and a lot of guess work as to what the starting line up will be. Shaun Barker is out and Jason Shackell is slowly returning from injury so is unlikely to be fully fit. Those two would probably be our first choice centre back pairing, Shackell may well start though. Our only defensive midfielder is also out, James Bailey, who's a decent young footballer. Our striking options are very limited, i think Clough will go with Tyson and Steve Davies. I dont rate Steve Davies at all, think he offers very little as a striker. Tyson has rarely been seen by all accounts as a striker at Forest so bit of an unknown as to how he'll get on. He's quick but im not quite sure what else he'll offer. The scottish lads we've signed, Bryson and Maguire may well feature but Brysons missed a lot of pre season and Maguires only shown bits and pieces. Based on our pre season form i wouldnt want to be backing us, losses at Crewe and Exeter plus an apparent boring 1-1 draw at Morecambe. Played Burton twice, with a decent side out we beat them but then lost to them with a much younger side. I know it's only pre season but we've shown a lack of attacking threat and goals, fans are slightly concerned. Very difficult to predict and to be blunt i havent a clue how we'll get on this season, pre season signals are suggesting to me that we'll struggle once again as long as Clough is manager, it's make or break time for him now, this is his squad and his excuses are wearing thin.
Cheers for that, sounds like a rough start for the Rams, will probably have to steer well clear of that one then. Shame as Birminghams problems are well documented.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Mr Ram funny you should paste that link as last night i watched hihglights on Barnsley;s website of all there preseason games, god they are passing it about very well. What Hill did at Rochdale was amazing in my book last season as he sold his best striker Dagnell and still got his team pretty comfy in League 1. Ive got to pick 1 team from these in Championship to score most points and goals combined. Are you saying dont include Derby, if so who would you choose? I think if clough doesnt get it right by October, hes offski. Will Millwall be as strong without Morison? Bristol City Derby County Millwall Portsmouth

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I thought that last season when they had Haynes and they still got Jon Stead aswell, loads of options but do bugger all lol. Whos your pick then In Championship and an outside chance I fancy Leicester, Hull e/w and Barnsley just to more than hold there own and you? And anyone you dont fancy at all? Mines Blues for obvious reasons lol

Sir+Bobby+Robson+Memorial+Service+av_4d8sArHil.jpg

SamAllardyce.jpg

LEICESTER CITY

In – Neil Danns, Kasper Schmeichel, Sean St. Ledger, David Nugent, John Pantsil, Matthew Mills, Paul Konchesky, Michael Johnson (on loan), Lee Peltier Out –Robbie Neilson, Amen Verma, Tom Parkes (on loan), Cian Bolger (on loan), Luke O’Neill, Craig King, Ashley Chambers, Jack Hobbs, Michael Lamey, Adi Yussuf, Robert Ambrusics, Conrad Logan (on loan), Jorrin John Star Man – Michael Johnson

NOTTINGHAM FOREST

In – Jonathan Greening, George Boateng, Andy Reid Out – Dele Adebola, Kelvin Wilson, Robert Earnshaw, Nialle Rodney, Julian Bennett, Nathan Tyson, Paul McKenna, Mark Byrne, Kelvin Wilson Star Man – Lewis McGugan

WEST HAM UNITED

In – Matthew Taylor, Kevin Nolan, Abdoulaye Faye, Jordan Spence (loan expired), Jake Larkins, Joey O’Brien

Out – Danny Gabbidon, Kieron Dyer, Radoslav Kovac, Demba Ba, Anthony Edgar, Thomas Hitzlsperger, Manuel Da Costa, Lars Jacobsen, Jonathan Spector, Matthew Upson Star Man – Kevin Nolan

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/football-league-blog/2011/aug/02/championship-2011-12-preview-bloggers

You're in it :ok
Hah, thought that was just for bets rather than real discussion :p Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk EDIT: I meant the weekend bets specifically for the championship, it's early and I can only think about the weekend so I may need some slack ;)

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Scott McDonald top goalscorer @ $21 Despite an injury interrupted season last year, was still Boro's top goalscorer with 14. With both Lita and Boyd moving on he is left as the main striker in Tony Mowbray's attack-minded side. Had a good pre-season as well, is the fittest he's been i a while, most recently scoring two goals in Boro's 3-2 loss to PSV as well. At 27 years of age he is very much in the prime of his career, a quintessential goal-poacher, can definitely see him returning to his form of a couple of years ago at Celtic scoring 31 goals in the 07/08 season, 19 goals in the 08/09. Should be primed for a big year for this talented young boro side. BOL

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season it's here :nana Final pre-season round up on the city.... I'm still on the side of avoiding Cardiff season bets. We have lost 5 striking options who provided 61 goals between them last season and the replacements look adequate, but not exciting. Kenny Miller and Earnie have been brought in as our "first choice" pairing, with younger players Joe Mason (Plymouth) and Remi Gestade (Metz) brought in as bench players with future potential. The Bellamy rumour mill persists and will do so until he goes somewhere. Our midfield looks much improved than under Jones and, whils it make take a little gelling in the early games, looks to be a solid structure. Our defence appears reasonably good, although I continue to have some doubts over Heaton being our number 1 (a view not as much worried about by other other Cardiff fans, I should note). There is a belief that Malky will be looking to add another 2-4 players on top of those already in, with various names being linked. There is a belief that money is available but how much and whether this is for transfer fees and/or wages remains a topic of speculation rather than knowledge. Overall, I see this being a tougher division to climb up from than last season and I still think we are in transition atm. Dave Jones recently did a few reports stating how Cardiff fans would "expect promotion" and how Malky needs to improve the team blah blah. Jones always had a section of fans who disliked his dour demeanour and style of play but he risks alienating those of us who appreciated the work and progress he made. Jones has left a threadbare squad with little preparation for the future and Malky is now picking up the pieces as well as rebuilding. For me, West Ham and Leicester are justifiable favs - they have the money, the men at the helm with experience, knowledge and ability to attract bigger players and the depth in squad size to succeed. The pressure will be on both, but I very much doubt that, come May, oneif not both will be in the top 2. Of the other contenders, there are many naggin doubts about each one that opens up the rest of the division into the normal championship we see, where anyone can beat anyone else. Birmingham are going to be entertaining - they, for me, are the one team that could finish top or bottom! They are a big club but between shipping out more people than Poland, new manager (who I still believe is unproven), a european cup adventure (which looks to be short-lived) and backroom problems surrounding the main investor we have a team capable of shocking people, regardless what happens. Ipswich have spent well and will be interesting to watch out for - of the new signings, keep an eye out for JET (emmanuel-thomas) signed from Arsenal. He was on loan with us at the end of last season and there definitely seemed to be good potential there. Reading haven't really been active in the transfer market and, whilst being strong, aren't the surprise package that they were last year, now. Forest are another team who could finish in a wide margin. McLaren was always going to be a controversial appointment wherever he went. His forest side have potential for a promotion push but has his lack of signings led them to be worth dismissing or will it push their price out to give them more value... I'd be worried for them if he has a bad start. Tony Mowwbray's Middlesbro will be improved this year and I expect them to be beating the big boys here and there but I'm not convinced that they will have the consistency? Despite their loss to Blackpool last year, I still fancy Hull to be making a play off challenge this year. They quietly crept up on the play offs last year but faltered at the final hurdles but they have kept their squad together and brought in a couple of interesting signings. They'll be difficult to beat and may be the surprise package.

Re: Npower Championship > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season It's no longer quite ante-post, but I guess I should write here as it's a season-long bet. I've been laying Leicester for promotion at a variety of odds around 2.4. It's hard to blend a bunch of new players into a team, and I don't think Sven has the ability or the hunger to do it. I don't think their signings can be compared to West Ham's in terms of quality or leadership (e.g. Nolan, Taylor, Faye). I'm not sure any of Leicester's players would improve any Premiership XI. And even with the money spent, they lack creativity going forward. 8/11 or so that Leicester don't go up is a terrific bet.

Hah, thought that was just for bets rather than real discussion :p Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk EDIT: I meant the weekend bets specifically for the championship, it's early and I can only think about the weekend so I may need some slack ;)
http://forum.punterslounge.com/f6/england-championship-aug-5-7-a-119588/