** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season You are a true supporter, sir. You can see the positives where the critics can only see the negatives. I tend to disagree with your assessment of your keeper and the likelyhood that Kosicelny, Schillachi or Djourou will ever be the answer to your centre-back dilemma. The aforementioned duo looked woefully short of Premier League level at times last season. I would also question Wenger's ability to solve the issue in the defensive areas and your clear lack of a leader on the pitch and in the dressing room. Fabregas is an excellent player but he's no leader and without Vermaelen at the back you lack any organiser on the pitch. You will have your moments again next season but, at the moment, I can't see your side finishing in the top 3 without serious investment in the side.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Djorou hadn't lost a premier league game for 4 years before he was pushed back too quickly from his shoulder injury at the end of the season (and then subsequently looked severely lacking in form). Oh and Torres for top scorer :lol

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season

Djorou hadn't lost a premier league game for 4 years before he was pushed back too quickly from his shoulder injury at the end of the season (and then subsequently looked severely lacking in form). Oh and Torres for top scorer :lol
Oh I? Not a massive sample to go from is it? In the previous 3 seasons before the last he made a massive.........wait for it.......17 (4 as sub) appearances for Arsenal. In 2009/10 he made 1 league appearance for Arsenal, although they did avoid defeat.:nana In 2008/09 he made 14 appearances (3 of those as sub) losing once to Man City 3-0. In 2007/08 he was loaned to Birmingham for the majority of the season losing 8 times in the 13 Premier League appearances. We forgive him that. He also made 2 appearances for Arsenal (one as a 78th sub). Nice stat but I thought he was too good to be true. Mind you we all hope Wenger does believe he's the answer to your centre back problem.:cigar

Oh I? Not a massive sample to go from is it? In the previous 3 seasons before the last he made a massive.........wait for it.......17 (4 as sub) appearances for Arsenal. In 2009/10 he made 1 league appearance for Arsenal, although they did avoid defeat.:nana In 2008/09 he made 14 appearances (3 of those as sub) losing once to Man City 3-0. In 2007/08 he was loaned to Birmingham for the majority of the season losing 8 times in the 13 Premier League appearances. We forgive him that. He also made 2 appearances for Arsenal (one as a 78th sub). Nice stat but I thought he was too good to be true. Mind you we all hope Wenger does believe he's the answer to your centre back problem.:cigar
For a team as inconsistent as Arsenal a player having a 26 match unbeaten run in the premiership since, as you rightly said, the 3-0 loss to City, is something to take notice of. Why would you even bring up the fact that he played and lost a lot at Birmingham, a different team? Why do you believe I'm an Arsenal fan- because I am talking about an Arsenal defender? :unsure If you've bothered to read my posts or even know me on this forum you would know I've been particularly scathing of Arsenal, probably moreso than any other team last season. Maybe he is; maybe he won't be the answer. Wenger's supposed pursuit of two proven premiership centre backs in Samba and Cahill suggest Wenger thinks the latter.

Spuds imo won't be anywhere near the top four, they were very lucky in 2009/10 and if Modric or Bale leaves or gets injured then they'll fall behind. I don't rate Redknapp much either.
Why were Spurs lucky in 09/10? They finished with 70 points(including a meaningless last game) which would've been enough for top 4 in the majority of Premier League seasons, they were in the top 4 for most of the season and finished it off by beating Arsenal, Chelsea and City. But no, Spurs got lucky :unsure

Tomorrow the fixtures for the season 2011/12 will be revealed:clap
August 6th Season Start 8th (w/c) Carling Cup Round 1 22nd (w/c) Carling Cup Round 2 29th (w/c) Johnstone's Paint Trophy Round 1 The start date for the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League is Saturday 13 August 2011. The fixture list will be confirmed around the middle of June, with the first set of television fixtures announced approximately two weeks later. http://www.premierleague.com/page/FixturesResults

August 6th Season Start 8th (w/c) Carling Cup Round 1 22nd (w/c) Carling Cup Round 2 29th (w/c) Johnstone's Paint Trophy Round 1 The start date for the 2011/12 Barclays Premier League is Saturday 13 August 2011. The fixture list will be confirmed around the middle of June, with the first set of television fixtures announced approximately two weeks later. http://www.premierleague.com/page/FixturesResults
When will be the draws for the first Carling Cup round?

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Now that McLeish is in as Villa manager, I've got to fancy a small stake on Villa to be relegated at an attractive 25/1 (victor chandler). I know villa are a big club and really should be more towards the top end of the table, but I can't help but feel that McLeish is a terrible move for Villa. The fans don't want him, they will be on his back probably from the beginning of the season and as soon as they lose a match, he'll come under major pressure. Will the players want to play in that kind of environment where their own fans are against them? We know that Young is almost certainly moving, Downing might also go, and while Bent has settled in well and normally scores plenty of goals, he isn't going to get the same kind of service as he enjoyed last season, so I don't think he will be so prolific. Even without the Mcleish saga, Villa have got some problems to sort out. They need a new GK after Friedel left, a replacement for Young and possibly Downing, and at least one more striker for me. There is plenty of time for Villa to bring in new players to replace Young etc, but McLeish is a defensive minded coach and i'm not convinced he'll be able to get the best out of this Villa squad, especially when it comes to the attack. I really can see Villa struggling this season, and feel that 25/1 on Villa being relegated is value. Its a bit of a long shot so very low stakes but I hope they give me a run for my money.

For a team as inconsistent as Arsenal a player having a 26 match unbeaten run in the premiership since' date=' as you rightly said, the 3-0 loss to City, is something to take notice of.[/quote'] Is it? Bale went 20 odd matches without winning in the Premier League. Does it make him a bad player? No. This comment about unbeaten runs bears no relevance to the players talent. That is what I was getting at.

3 posts moved into 2 threads in sports banter: please keep the replies to posts applicable to this thread folks - it'll be here for a good few months' date=' so lets keep the quality up :ok[/quote'] 2 more posts moved into banter. Please keep it relevant ladies & gents. :ok

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I think the top 4 last season will remain the top 4 this season, maybe a bit too early for Liverpool yet to break into the top 4, and Spurs will be there or thereabouts again. Out of the new boys I think QPR and Norwich will survive, and Swansea, Wolves and Wigan to hit the drop.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season I think Hernandez is a good bet as Top Scorer for the Premiership this season @ 8/1 with WillHill. Hernandez had a good first season for his club, Manchester United, and now he has had a season to bed in, he should be even better and is likely to start, in my mind, at least 80% of games. I think he will play more than Berbatov and so will go for him as my first bet ahead of next season.

- Premier-league Top Goal Scorer - Robin Van Persie @ 10/1 with Paddy Power (5/10) These odds are unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable. Van Persie at one point last season, went on to score in every game for several games in a row, I can't remember the exact number, but it was high. Considering he'd bee out with an injured for half the season, his end tally was pretty impressive. I fully expect Van Persie to be there or there abouts come the end of the season along-side the likes of Rooney, Hernandez and co...

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season First post on this forum. Hills are offering 25/1 for Mcleish to be first manager to leave post. I think thats generous! Also on Bent (16)/ Dzeko (30) and Balotelli (30) to be top goal scorer. 6/1 on QPR to finish bottom was another that took my fancy as well as 25/1 Aaron Ramsey to be player of the year. Any thoughts?

First post on this forum. Hills are offering 25/1 for Mcleish to be first manager to leave post. I think thats generous! Also on Bent (16)/ Dzeko (30) and Balotelli (30) to be top goal scorer. 6/1 on QPR to finish bottom was another that took my fancy as well as 25/1 Aaron Ramsey to be player of the year. Any thoughts?
:welcome to PL :ok I presume you think Villa will struggle under Mcleish? Be interested to hear your thoughts on that ;) Could be a decent shout if they're near the bottom three come Xmas, but I have a feeling Mcleish will sort their defense out, and he has a fair bit of money to spend following the sale of Ashley Young. Aaron Ramsey - depends how much he plays, and whether he can remain injury free. Never a near certainty with any Arsenal player. Q.P.R. - could be a decent shout, but I fancy their home form to do what it did for Stoke when they first came up. Add to this the fact that Neil Warnock should make them very difficult to beat. Whether the board can get over themselves and release enough cash needed is another issue - if they can do that, then they should have the finances available to do a decent bit of business. Adel Taarabt could potentially be their Charlie Adam too. Ultimately, what do you think? :ok

:welcome to PL :ok I presume you think Villa will struggle under Mcleish? Be interested to hear your thoughts on that ;) Could be a decent shout if they're near the bottom three come Xmas, but I have a feeling Mcleish will sort their defense out, and he has a fair bit of money to spend following the sale of Ashley Young. Aaron Ramsey - depends how much he plays, and whether he can remain injury free. Never a near certainty with any Arsenal player. Q.P.R. - could be a decent shout, but I fancy their home form to do what it did for Stoke when they first came up. Add to this the fact that Neil Warnock should make them very difficult to beat. Whether the board can get over themselves and release enough cash needed is another issue - if they can do that, then they should have the finances available to do a decent bit of business. Adel Taarabt could potentially be their Charlie Adam too. Ultimately, what do you think? :ok
Cheers Jase. I think Villa may struggle and the Villa fans are going to be straight on his back if they lose a couple of games. I agree he will sort their defence out but a couple defeats and goalless draws and the Villa fans might even stop turning up then Randy will be forced to act! Ramsey I agree is a risk but I think if fit he will play a lot more especially if Fabregas goes. There is also the story of the courageous young brit coming back from injury which is bound to win him some votes. I watched a bit of QPR last year and Taraabt was good but had a tendency to try and do too much when they had a big game and it was almost as though he was putting himself in the shop window. I actually think he may even go before the season starts. They are good at home so will pick up some points but whether they will score enough goals to win games is the issue for me.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season :welcome dan. I agree with your point about the Villa fans. They aren't a patient bunch at the best of times and I think McLeish could find himself under huge pressure if they hit a bad run at any point. However, I'm not sure Randy Lerner will be too quick to pull the trigger and admit his mistake if things do go badly. Firstly, I can't see him being that keen to go through the process of choosing a new manager again and secondly, he showed with Houllier that he's not afriad to back an unpopular manager, even in the face of a relegation battle. I honestly believe that if Houllier hadn't fallen ill again, he'd still be at Villa park, despite the fans obvious antipathy towards him following the Liverpool game and then his team selection for Man City in the cup. 25/1 is a decent price though. I see you can get Neil Warnock at 6/1 with Victor Chandler. Personally, I think any chance of mind-blowing investment at Loftus Rd disappeared with the Mittals and Warnock is likely to have a modest budget under Ellestone and Briatore. I also don't think they'll be shy about showing Warnock the door if QPR look like getting involved in a relegation battle. Given the turnover of managers since Briatore pitched up at the club, I wouldn't be surprised to see an early change if they don't start well.

:welcome dan. I agree with your point about the Villa fans. They aren't a patient bunch at the best of times and I think McLeish could find himself under huge pressure if they hit a bad run at any point. However, I'm not sure Randy Lerner will be too quick to pull the trigger and admit his mistake if things do go badly. Firstly, I can't see him being that keen to go through the process of choosing a new manager again and secondly, he showed with Houllier that he's not afriad to back an unpopular manager, even in the face of a relegation battle. I honestly believe that if Houllier hadn't fallen ill again, he'd still be at Villa park, despite the fans obvious antipathy towards him following the Liverpool game and then his team selection for Man City in the cup. 25/1 is a decent price though. I see you can get Neil Warnock at 6/1 with Victor Chandler. Personally, I think any chance of mind-blowing investment at Loftus Rd disappeared with the Mittals and Warnock is likely to have a modest budget under Ellestone and Briatore. I also don't think they'll be shy about showing Warnock the door if QPR look like getting involved in a relegation battle. Given the turnover of managers since Briatore pitched up at the club, I wouldn't be surprised to see an early change if they don't start well.
Cheers mate. That's the one sticking point for me as well. Lerner might be reluctant to admit a mistake of it turns out that way. I just get the feeling this is a lot worse than the Houllier situation, I can genuinely see fans staying away if it goes wrong and if that happens it might force his hand. 16/1 last week for Warnock so obviously been backed or the firm offering (can't remember who) have adjusted to bring into line with everyone else. I agree he should probably be favourite and 6-1 still represents value for me. What's your thoughts on the top goalscorer market?

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Ramsey would be a better bet for Young Player of the year (I think he still qualifies?). Before he got injured, I'd say he was at least as good as Jack Wilshere is now. Hopefully his injury wont hinder his comeback too much.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season The one bet I surely would not take is Man.United to win the title. My main reason is that they did not find a replacement for Van der Sar. When Schmeichel retired they struggled to find a good replacement and were dropping points due to some goalkeeper mistakes. I think the good bet is Chelsea to win the title @ 3.50-3.75 since they were very close last season and if it was not for injuries which resulted in losing some valuable points. Also they good coach and enough money and I believe they will improve they squad as well. I personally won't be placing any outright bets since I can't wait for entire season.

16/1 last week for Warnock so obviously been backed or the firm offering (can't remember who) have adjusted to bring into line with everyone else. I agree he should probably be favourite and 6-1 still represents value for me. What's your thoughts on the top goalscorer market?
Blimey, wish I'd seen 16/1 on Warnock. Would be all over that like a rash. :loon I don't really get involved in top scorer markets, but I don't fancy Dzeko or Balotelli much. If Tevez stays at City, he'll be their main threat again next season and if he goes then I fancy they'll spend big on a replacement. Dzeko just hasn't looked the part in England and whilst there's no doubting Balotelli's talent, he's just such a cock that it's hard to see him being a consistent goalscorer. He's bound to be suspended, injured, dropped for disciplinary reasons, sulking etc etc for a fair bit of the season. I quite like Funky's call on Van Persie at 10/1 actually. As AK said, the injuries are a problem, but if RVP could stay fit for an entire season then that price would look pretty generous as he's bound to be there or thereabouts.

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Boylesports have a market for the highest finisher w/o top 6. Fulham are 14/1 and for me thats where the value is. Martin Jol is a good manager and I think there must be money available otherwise he wouldn't have joined them. They looked good under Hughes and my only worry is the long Europa League campaign but it all depends on Jol's priorities. Everton aren't going to improve IMO and will probably have their usual bad start. Villa and Sunderland not for me with the managers they have.

The one bet I surely would not take is Man.United to win the title. My main reason is that they did not find a replacement for Van der Sar. When Schmeichel retired they struggled to find a good replacement and were dropping points due to some goalkeeper mistakes. I think the good bet is Chelsea to win the title @ 3.50-3.75 since they were very close last season and if it was not for injuries which resulted in losing some valuable points. Also they good coach and enough money and I believe they will improve they squad as well. I personally won't be placing any outright bets since I can't wait for entire season.
De Gea looks a good keeper but struggled with crosses a bit at Atletico so may take him some time to adapt if they do sign him. Wouldn't surprise me to see Van Der Sar hang about for another season to help him adapt. I fancy Chelsea to win the league but 11/4 best price still looks a bit skinny to me so I probably wouldn't get involved in a single bet although I might double it up with another league winner (maybe PSG or Ajax).

Re: Barclays Premier League > Ante-Post 2011-12 Season Some good points mentioned above, and I think I'll be backing Warnock and McLeish for the first to go. There have been rumous about QPR getting rid of Warnock as they possibly saw him as a man to get them promoted but not necessarily keep them in the Prem. These rumours may be unfounded but I'm thinking no smoke without fire on that one and if they don't get off to a good start then he could be in trouble. Re: McLeish, I do think he's a decent manager and the Villa fans are calming down about his appointment (what other option do they have whilst no games are being played?) but McLeish has about zero good will which some new managers can often depend on. A lot of Villa fans (under the illusion that they're a bigger club than they are?) aren't exactly known for their tolerance and whilst I accept the point made earlier about Lerner not being afraid to back his decision he has made a u-turn of David Cameron proportions by refusing to see Steve McLaren when he was apparently his first choice. Plus, if things go wrong early on then the Villa fans will not hesitate to demonstrate their disapproval. In terms of McLeish's job I think the bottom line is that fans will think: When Villa win, it's the players, when they lose it's McLeish. A shame to see the odds come in before I could get the 25/1 but Hills still offering 20/1 so that's what I'm putting my overtime money on! Will also put a decent wager on Warnock. Roll on August :eek