** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: Friends Life t20

kevshat

With the County Championship and CB40 completely up and running now it's time for them to take a break and the 3rd and final domestic competition of the summer begin. The Friends Life t20 sees the 18 counties split into 2 groups of 9 - North and South. Both groups see all 9 sides play each other home and away and at the end of the league phase the top four in each group goes into the quarter finals with the semi final and final played on finals day as ever. Finals day this year is at Edgbaston on the 27th August. The tournament starts on Wednesday. Fire away chaps.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 2 outrights for me initially. 2pts ew Essex to win Friends Life t20 11/1 Stan James (1/2 1,2) It's always dangerous taking an outright in the ultra tough South group but I'm game as I really think bar a quality spinner which is a slight concern but only that, that Essex have everything at their disposal to win this tournament. With Bopara likely to open whenever he's not with England, Essex will have a middle order of Owais Shah, Ryan ten Doeschate, Scotty Styris and Graham Napier who's already shown his hitting skills this season. With the ball they have Napier, ten Doeschate, Bopara and Styris again as well as Masters who is in excellent nick and they've signed Tim Southee as well which isn't a bad signing. Essex were semi finalists last year where they were a bit unlucky Bravo was a sack of shit for them but this year I think they have all the tools to finally land this t20 tournament. 1pt ew Northamptonshire to win Friends Life t20 25/1 Betfred (1/2 1,2) Northants keep on getting under estimated for this tournament but I'm cool with that. They've actually qualified from their group in 5 of the last 6 runnings of this event and I think this year they have the best squad they've had in this tournament. Let's get the concern out of the way first. It's a concern Niall O'Brien will miss the start of the tournament with a broken hand but he expects to be back not long into the event. Even without him I still think Northants have enough runs in them. With the ball though I really like them. Andrew Hall is bowling well this term, Jack Brooks has come on leaps and bounds and Chaminda Vaas and Johan Botha are international bowlers who also add runs as well as wickets to the Northants side. Northants have played 5 won 5 in one day cricket this season and haven't been beaten in the Championship yet either. They are playing great cricket and at 25/1 I'm more than happy to take them in the North group where I think at least 3 if not 4 sides can be dismissed easily unlike in the South group. I'd have Northants around 14/1 for this so 25/1 is huge.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 2 more outrights for me ahead of the off. 0.5pts ew Leicestershire to win Friends Life t20 40/1 Skybet (1/2 1-2) I think this North group is wide open but for Northants and Durham who I see as certain qualifiers. That means there's two more spots up for grabs. Notts can't bat, ditto Lancashire although both have decent attacks, Worcester and Derby are massively out of their depth even in this competition, Yorkshire's batting is way too light and there's no overseas player like Gibbs to bat around. Warwickshire are entitled to be in the mix but won't be seeing much of Trott and Bell and with Woakes and Carter injured to begin with that's a heavy strain on a smallish squad. Therefore I'm going to chance Leicestershire here with the news they've signed Abdul Razzaq today. He'll give their batting line up a bit more beef and may even get a bit of swing over at Grace Road. Leicestershire have a decent enough bowling attack on paper now with Hoggard, Buck, Henderson, McDonald and now Razzaq while with the batting the likes of Jefferson, Taylor, Nixon and McDonald form a decent top order and with heavy hitters like White, Razzaq and Henderson to come there's grounds for believing the only multiple time winners of this event could go well again. They could bomb out totally but in a weak section at a lovely price I'll pay to find out. 1.5pts ew A.Thomas Top Tournament Wicket Taker 12/1 Ladbrokes (1/4 1-4) The great Alfonso is back from the IPL and ready to terrorise the South group batsmen. Thomas has been the leading wicket taker in this tournament for the past two seasons and arrives in T20 mode having played it for the past couple of months. When you think the current market favourite has been stopped from playing then this 12/1 is a very big price, particularly when he's going to be a heavy part of Somerset's bowling artillery with Kieron Pollard not coming over until half way through the tournament. Thomas picks up wickets with the new ball but his inswinging yorkers at the death can only be matched by Umar Gul who would've been a strong fancy but for Visa issues he's having. There's some strong contenders this year with Imran Tahir back at his original home, Murali at Gloucestershire, Vaas at Northants, Nannes at Surrey and now Langeveldt at Kent but with the form in the book I'll take Alfonso Thomas to lead the wicket charts again this season.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 Just one for me in tonight's opener. Difficult to know how Hampshire will line up now Afridi's been banned. 4pts Somerset Most 6's vs Hampshire 20/21 Boylesports We've seen all season that Hampshire are struggling with the bat at the minute and although they have Michael Lumb back from the IPL he's not exactly had much time in the middle while he was out there so what sort of nick he's in is open to debate. The rest of his teammates are going through a poor trot with the bat and their only other natural big hitters - Ervine and Mascarenhas - are both returning from injury and still searching for timing. Somerset don't have that problem though and they are boosted by the signing of Roelof van der Merve who can spank a ball too. In fact all of Somerset's top 6 can with the likes of Trescothick, Kieswetter and Trego being very explosive hitters of a ball. Aside from the match between the two on a damp, dodgy wicket here last year, the other two matches on proper wickets which this one will be on the opening night of a new tournament saw Somerset win 12-6 and 7-3 in 6's and I expect them to complete another 6's win tonight.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 Perfect start for me last night with Hampshire winning but not beating Somerset in the 6's battle. +3.80 overall going into night 2 tonight where it's fair to say I'm putting all my eggs in the Durham basket :lol. I'm off to the Surrey vs Gloucestershire match tonight so if anyone watching the televised Durham game could put the respective 6 overs scores up in here I'd appreciate it :ok. 5pts Durham to beat Warwickshire 8/11 Blue Square 5pts Durham Most 6's 11/10 Stan James 4pts Durham Highest 1st 6 overs 10/11 Blue Square I really fancy Durham to beat Warwickshire tonight. Durham have played some good cricket all season and although the loss of Ben Stokes to what sounds like a horrendously nasty injury on the eve of the event is unfortunate it's balanced out with the return to domestic action of Paul Collingwood. Durham's top 6 would frighten the life out of me if I was a bowler. Mustard, Blackwell, Coetzer, Benkenstein, Miller and Collingwood. Aye find someone else to bowl at that lot skip :lol. Warwickshire are missing 4 key men in Bell, Trott, Carter and Woakes all of whom would get into any side in the country and they are massive losses to cope with. Jeetan Patel takes on the overseas job but he'll have his work cut out against a rampant and confident Durham side who boast the likes of Graham Onions and Liam Plunkett with the ball. I've pretty much mentioned the Durham top 6 and they can all hit 6's and hit them but then there's Breese and Plunkett further down the order who are no mugs when it comes to wielding the willow. Warwickshire aren't really a six hitting side. They tend to score their runs in 4's rather than 6's and the absence of Woakes and Carter won't help their 6 hitting cause. Maddy and Clarke can hit a big ball but it's going to take more than them two to compete with this powerhouse Durham batting line up in the 6 hitting if Warks are going to get close here. Durham are likely to open the batting with Blackwell and Mustard tonight and both men score very quickly compared to Chopra and Porterfield for Warwickshire. Porterfield can get on with it but Chopra's more a touch player. Rankin opening the bowling for Warks can go for a few whereas Durham will be opening with Graham Onions and maybe even Liam Plunkett - an all international opening pairing. Durham's batsmen score too quickly for me to believe they will be behind after 6 overs here. 3pts Essex to beat Sussex Evs Blue Square Having taken Essex outright I'll take them here too at odds against. They possess a massive batting line up and with Tim Southee in to join the likes of Masters, Napier, ten Doeschate and Styris they have a decent bowling attack too. Sussex will be without Matt Prior tonight and Umar Gul hasn't got his visa sorted out yet. The Sharks will have Wayne Parnell available but Luke Wright is only 50/50 with injury. I don't think this Sussex side has the runs in it they once had with no Dwayne Smith this year so they will need the likes of Rana Naved and Parnell to turn up bigtime to win matches. Essex can win matches with their explosive batting or with their quality with the ball so at even money they are the call in their opening match tonight.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 Flipping internet has been down at my uni house all day so wasn't able to to post my selections. Both of them look dodgy now though with Durham on the brink of defeat and Sussex look to be posting a decent score against an Essex team that I backed. On the topic of the 6 overs scores Kev, not sure what Durham got but Wawickshire got 60 in their 6 so it's doubtful that Durham beat that. Just looks like a dodgy day for results today thus far.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20

Friday 3 June 2011 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Kent v Somerset (17:30 BST) 3 1.57 96.97 %
maximize.gif Lancashire v Worcestershire (17:30 BST) 1.57 2.8 99.35 %
maximize.gif Yorkshire v Warwickshire (17:40 BST) 2.1 1.91 99.98 %
maximize.gif Nottinghamshire v Derbyshire (18:00 BST) 1.61 2.65 99.64 %
maximize.gif Northamptonshire v Leicestershire (18:50 BST) 1.66 2.62 98.17 %
maximize.gif Essex v Gloucestershire (19:00 BST) 1.53 3.15 96.96 %
maximize.gif Hampshire v Surrey (19:00 BST) 1.91 2.1 99.98 %
maximize.gif Glamorgan v Middlesex (19:30 BST) 2.1 1.91 99.98 %

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 First bet for tonight. Will take at least one other but will get this up now as I've been busy all day and pushed for time and it's from the early starts. 4pts Warwickshire to beat Yorkshire 10/11 Stan James Having taken Warwickshire on last night I'm going to take them tonight. I thought they played very well last night once they got going and there was never a time where they weren't going to chase that total down. Neil Carter mysteriously appeared from somewhere but having him back is a huge boost with both bat and ball while the likes of Barker, Piolet and Patel bowled well. I think as long as Warks bowl well they'll go ok in this competition because the likes of Porterfield, Carter, Maddy, Troughton and Clarke will all score runs. Scoring runs is the issue I have with Yorkshire. I'm not sure they will consistently score enough runs unless one of their batsmen does something out of the ordinary. With the ball Yorkshire look fine but we've seen all season they struggle with the bat and it's for that reason that I like the Bears, who look solid with bat and ball now Carter is back, in this one.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 I started poorly yesterday so sitting on -9 at the minute after the Essex and Durham defeats. Hope to pull that back today in the televised game. 3 in total for me. Alviro Peterson vs Scott Newman- Peterson -2.5 handicap- 5/6 Ladbrokes- (4/10) Quite like this batsman match here and I'm back the South African to outscore his opponent here by at least a few runs. The Glamorgan skipper is a pretty decent player with the bat, and has a handy record which boasts a test century on debut, and 4 50s in his 14 one day internationals. He averages over 40 this year in the Championship, largely down to his double century against Surrey a couple of weeks ago, and his day one average is around the 35 mark which isn't a bad return in this Glamorgan side. Newman only has one fifty to his name this season in all forms of the game and his last 4 innings have seen him make scores of 15, 7, 5 and 1. He missed the recent match at Chelmsford so I'm not overly convinced at how confident he is in the middle at the minute. In the Championship match between these two teams a few weeks ago, Petersen outscored Newman in both innings by a fair amount and I'll back him to do the same again later on. Glamorgan over 10.5 4s- 5/6 Ladbrokes- (4/10) Middlesex over 10.5 4s- 5/6 Ladbrokes- (4/10) Taken this bet on a few times this year with mixed success but tonight I see both teams covering the overs. Line just look a tad low to me, on a pitch that has International standards now, with the conditions benefitial to the batsman to a heavy degree. It's a blistering day, and the batsman should be able to hit some runs and hopefully pepper the ropes on numerous occassions. Both teams have some good strikers of the ball, with the likes of Cosgrove, Peterson, Allenby and an in form Rees for the Dragons, whilst Middlesex have the likes of Malan, Rodgers, McLaren and Stirling who are all capable guys who can score runs quickly and fine the boundaries. Those names on top of the likes of Dalrymple, Crook and Wallace just swing me in favour of the overs for both sides here.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 5pts Surrey to beat Hampshire 11/10 Betfred I've seen both these sides over the last two nights and although I wasn't totally impressed with Surrey with the ball there's no doubt that Steven Davies and Rory Hamilton-Brown are in superb form with the bat. Surrey do have Jade Dernbach making his way to the Rose Bowl now after he was left out by England so he'll probably replace Linley I would expect so with Arafat, Nannes and Dernbach they'll have a decent seam attack. Batty and Schofield know this format with their spin too. For me Hampshire are still a batsman light. Wood is also a bit too expensive with the ball so the Afridi situation isn't helping us at all. It remains to be seen whether Johann Myburgh will play here but all the indication are that Hampshire will be unchanged. I think Surrey have a strong enough bowling attack to control Hampshire's batting and then in Davies, Hamilton-Brown, Roy and Maynard have a top 4 to score big runs. Surrey for me.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 2 for me in the TV game. Came so close to taking the under 7.5 6's because I don't suppose this wicket is going to be any easier to score on than normal but at 4/6 I'll just about leave it alone. 4pts Glamorgan Highest 1st 6 overs 10/11 Bet365 I quite like Glamorgan here. Cosgrove and Petersen are free scoring international cricketers who will get on with the scoring early on while Glamorgan will open the bowling with Robert Croft I would imagine. Certainly that's been the plan in previous years anyway. He's pretty economical in this format of the game. Middlesex will most likely open with Newman and Malan so neither of those are natural free scoring players and I'm also a bit concerned that looking at this Middlesex side they don't have a spinner they can open with. Murtagh and McLaren are good bowlers but Cosgrove in particular loves pace on the ball and the big left hander can see Glamorgan clear after 6 overs. 1pt P.Stirling Top Middlesex Batsman 4/1 Bet365 Paul Stirling hasn't really nailed the county scene yet but he's a hard hitting young batsman capable of scoring all around the wicket. He comes into this match off the back of an ODI ton against Pakistan earlier in the week so he couldn't be in better form. He looked in good nick in the TV game against Worcestershire a couple of weeks ago. What I like most about him here is he's best scoring his runs down the ground which is by far the shortest boundaries at the Swalec. I'm not so sure this is Chris Rogers' best format and the dangers to Stirling aren't immediately apparent. Batting at 3 he's got the perfect opportunity to score well so at 4/1 I'll take the big hitting Irishman here.

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 Really good day from my perspective with all 3 bets coming through. The Middlesex boundary count just came through after the match was delayed due to the floodlights failing. Luckily Murtagh hit that all important boundary in the final over to bring the overs in. +10 today though, cancelling out the dismal start yesterday and gives me +1.00 overall.

And why's that? Think you'll find loads of the guys on PL who know their stuff about quite a few sports are some of the most profitable.
cos unless you do it full time you will have a day job and there not that many hours in the day to keep up with 5+ sports to bet on, spreading yourself way too thin

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 Good work tonight Fishy :clap:clap. Two poor nights for me. Shades of the County Championship with bad luck early making me play catch up. Davies plays on first ball tonight and then Lumb is dropped on 4 and goes on to make a quickfire 32 when a couple of early wickets would've put the frighteners up Hampshire's weak batting line up. Anyway that's 20 over cricket for you. -19.56 overall but I'm confident I'm not far off the mark in this so am happy I'll get that back particularly with a raft of TV games next week.

Sunday 5 June 2011 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Gloucestershire v Sussex (14:30 BST) 2.75 1.58 99.65 %
maximize.gif Leicestershire v Lancashire (14:30 BST) 2.26 1.77 100.74 %
maximize.gif Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire (14:30 BST) 1.66 2.54 99.37 %
maximize.gif Somerset v Middlesex (14:30 BST) 1.44 3.5 97.80 %
maximize.gif Warwickshire v Northamptonshire (14:30 BST) 1.62 2.56 100.79 %
maximize.gif Worcestershire v Durham (14:30 BST) 2.69 1.61 99.08 %
maximize.gif Kent v Hampshire (15:00 BST) 2.67 1.61 99.36 %

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 2 for me to relatively small stakes. 4pts Northants to beat Warwickshire 6/4 Betfred I can't help but feel that Northants have been written off a bit too soon with these odds. Warwickshire have won both their matches so far and won them well but I just wonder how well they will go were William Porterfield to go cheaply which could easily happen against this strong Northants bowling attack. Neil Carter took a shot to the jaw against Yorkshire on Friday night and while I've seen nothing to suggest he misses out this afternoon you would think someone like Jack Brooks would give Carter a bit of chin music. While Northants' strongest suit would be their bowling it should be said that their batting isn't all that shabby although admittedly having Niall O'Brien would be helpful. Northants' defeat to Leicester was their first defeat in all cricket this season and was all down to a sloppy first 6 overs with the bat but I would imagine they will find this Warwickshire attack easier to score off and as such that can lead them to their first win of the competition. 3pts Leicestershire to beat Lancashire 5/4 Stan James Leicestershire beat Northants on Friday night and that was a good win for the Foxes against the form side in the country. Lancashire come into this match having won one and drawn one but you'd have to say really they would expect to beat both Derbyshire and Worcestershire. Their bowling has been surprisingly easy to score off which would concern me were I a Lancashire fan because it's without a shadow of doubt their strongest suit. It was only the fact that Worcestershire are shocking players of spin that Lancashire came through against them on Friday night because while the seamers were on it was only going one way. Leicestershire in Taylor and Nixon have two excellent players of spin and that can lead them to good things here. What will have pleased Leicestershire most of Friday night was they won without Andrew McDonald doing much which is a good sign for the future. In an ideal world Leicestershire would have Abdul Razzaq available here but that's not the case but they have a fair batting line up which most of the components are in good form or have hit recent good cameos and they have a well balanced if a little young bowling attack and at 5/4 at Grace Road which is always a tough place to play cricket in this format, I'll take the Foxes to make it 2 wins from 2.

4pts Northants to beat Warwickshire 6/4 Betfred I can't help but feel that Northants have been written off a bit too soon with these odds. Warwickshire have won both their matches so far and won them well but I just wonder how well they will go were William Porterfield to go cheaply which could easily happen against this strong Northants bowling attack. Neil Carter took a shot to the jaw against Yorkshire on Friday night and while I've seen nothing to suggest he misses out this afternoon you would think someone like Jack Brooks would give Carter a bit of chin music. While Northants' strongest suit would be their bowling it should be said that their batting isn't all that shabby although admittedly having Niall O'Brien would be helpful. Northants' defeat to Leicester was their first defeat in all cricket this season and was all down to a sloppy first 6 overs with the bat but I would imagine they will find this Warwickshire attack easier to score off and as such that can lead them to their first win of the competition.
Massive price that. Great call too, winning comfortably:clap

Re: Cricket: Friends Life t20 Cheers mate. Was a bit concerned when they were 91/8 but no need in the end. Shame Leicestershire couldn't defend 173 but Northants coupled with a Hampshire win in the 5 over slogathon makes it a happy day for me. Back to -16.56pts going into the run of TV games from Wednesday.

Hey Guys, What are your picks for todays games? Also, anyone here who does live in play betting? Cheers
Take Essex at 9/10 tb Sussex, I got Evens on Monday but 9/10 is still acceptable for a team that have a 18-9 win record at Chelmsford the last 5 years and have a better team than Sussex even allowing for the defeat at Hove