** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets

Don't judge teams by the friendlies they play before the/a tournament. They are usually lacking motivation which will be there once they have something to play for.
Isn't one reason for friendlies to try out different players before a tournament? If so, the players will be motivated to do well in the hope of being picked.

Colombia's team was their first team otherwise I wouldn't have posted it.
Well, their subs didn't seem to be very motivated at all when they came on. But that's besides the point. I think that the most important thing I have seen from Colombia is that there is no chemistry whatsoever. Midfield links up terribly, 0 creativity, and the attack looks very isolated from the midfield. Only way they ever got to the opponents area was through some awful crosses to Falcao who was usually surround by Mexicans yesterday. I think this Mexican team they faced was awful, both in attack and defense and that says a lot about Colombia. Colombia vs Chile also failed miserably and looked terribly disjointed, same as yesterday. They have some good players, but as a team they aren't good at the moment, and I'm very pessimistic about them improving enough in that aspect in just one week. Hopefully they are good enough to beat what should be a very weak Costa Rica team though. I'm going to watch them vs Zenegal tomorrow. Hopefully they will have improved a bit.

Re: Copa America 2011

I don't think this bet is available but I will be very interested to see what will be offered for Falcao to become top scorer. He did great for Porto this season and I guess can score many goals here.
That will be my bet, but only with small stakes. Falcao Top Goalscorer @ 15.00 Ladbrokes

IMO everything is set for Argentina to be champions one more time. They lost in the final against Brazil last years and right now I don't know how they could lost it. Brazil won't show their best squad, Uruguay and Chile are good candidates but none of them with a good record against argies. México is no candidate considering their priority is Gold Cup (:spank) and I don't see any other with chances. Argentina @ 2,25 in a few bookies good value to me.
Brazil are bringing the Squad its just that its a new manager and he is leaving out the old guard (ronaldinho and co) but the squad is brimming with talent with the likes of ganso an Neymar and many other stars. The only way i can see Argentina not winning this is if they meet Brazyl before the final. My beloved Colombia have a good squad but i just saw them draw against a under 22 mexico ni nil and win over a depleted senegal but colombia look like they will build for the qualifiers. Chile could make it far and Uruguay but i cant see them taking it off Argentina.

Re: Copa America 2011 Yes he can be but im telling you look up hes record fr scoring with Colombia, the problem is that this Colombian team is not gelling just now so its hard for him to receive the same sort assists he gets from the boys in Porto

Colombia as low as 20/1 with Stan James & Skybet now' date=' some support![/quote'] Spooner we are playing really crap at the moment not sure if we will go to far. We are the chokers of South America

Colombia as low as 20/1 with Stan James & Skybet now' date=' some support![/quote'] Colombia should make it past the group stages, but I can't see them getting any further. 20/1 seems like a joke to me. Should be a lot higher. Colombia wont win this, no chance. Like I've said before they have a couple good players, but overall are an average side that has no chemistry. They lack goals and especially creativity in midfield. Their coach already said that he's thinking more about the Eliminatorias for the World Cup than this. Basically saying this the Copa America is more of a preparation for that for Colombia. Colombia should get past the group stages thanks to being paired with both Bolivia and Costa Rica arguably the two worst teams of the Copa. However, I think it'll be very hard for them to get past the next stage, Falcao will most likely play a couple games less then the teams that reach the final. He can maybe grab some goals vs Bolivia and Costa Rica, but don't expect to score too many goals with the midfield he's got to back him. Falcao is the type of player that needs his midfield to provide for him, and in Colombia he's got very little service.

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets Today 8 Mexican players were dropped and sent back home due to an incident that occured prior to their Friendly with Ecuador in Quito in a scandal involving prostitutes. Israel Jiménez, Néstor Vidrio, Jonathan dos Santos, Marco Fabián, Jorge Hernández, Javier Cortés, David Cabrera and Néstor Calderón will not partake in the Copa America. Edgar Pacheco, Alan Pulido, Alvarez, Emilio Orrantia, Antonio Gallardo, Ulises Davila, Diego de Buen and Oswaldo Alanis will replace these players. Most of these young players come from the U20 team. Most noticeable absences for the Mexicans will definitely be Jonathan dos Santos and Nestor Vidrio Giovanni dos Santos, Nestor Vidrio, Javier Cotes, David Cabrera and Israel Jimenez all played for Mexico in their recent friendly victory over Ecuador. This comes as a huge blow for the Mexicans and I'm sure this is awful news for many, but for me this is great. No doubt this will have a huge effect on the team. This makes a Chile win even more likely.

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets Cheers for that Chuck. I have been against Mexico for a while now, and have availed of the early 2.1 on Chile to beat them, and some 4.5 on Chile -1 EH. But one market that I don't think bookies have reflected the "weakness" of Mexico is in the group winner market. They have remained as short as 4.0 for the last month or so, and it is only Chile and Uruguay can be dutched to win the group at 1.26. Not normally a price I like to play, but I really can't see Mexico or Peru winning the group. I have been toying with this for quite a while now. Just not sure I trust SA football enough to have the large stake on this bet that the price requires.

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets There is no way one of Chile or Uruguay won't win the group Kiddo, I can assure you of that. I think its more a case of which one of these two will win it, rather then if it will happen. Because the way I see it is inevitable. Peru is looking pretty good defensivly, but offensivly have almost nothing to offer without Pizarro and Farfan. They already had trouble scoring with these two, just imagine without them! Meanwhile Mexico, I've already said how I feel about them many times. They should be no problem for Chile or Uruguay. 1.25 looks solid to me for this bet.:ok

Cheers for that Chuck. I have been against Mexico for a while now, and have availed of the early 2.1 on Chile to beat them, and some 4.5 on Chile -1 EH. But one market that I don't think bookies have reflected the "weakness" of Mexico is in the group winner market. They have remained as short as 4.0 for the last month or so, and it is only Chile and Uruguay can be dutched to win the group at 1.26. Not normally a price I like to play, but I really can't see Mexico or Peru winning the group. I have been toying with this for quite a while now. Just not sure I trust SA football enough to have the large stake on this bet that the price requires.
I took the plunge on this, and not before time. Bookies seem to have fed the Mexico news into the group market today (did they read the forum??). Mexico now pushed out to 7/1. So my bet: 16 pts Uruguay or Chile to win Group C @1.25 Made up of: 8 pts Uruguay to win Group C @2.5 (B365) 8 pts Chile to win Group C @2.5 (B365) A big bet for me. Hoping Chile get the win against Mexico in the first game to set me on my way.

I took the plunge on this, and not before time. Bookies seem to have fed the Mexico news into the group market today (did they read the forum??). Mexico now pushed out to 7/1. So my bet: 16 pts Uruguay or Chile to win Group C @1.25 Made up of: 8 pts Uruguay to win Group C @2.5 (B365) 8 pts Chile to win Group C @2.5 (B365) A big bet for me. Hoping Chile get the win against Mexico in the first game to set me on my way.
Took this bet as well. I think there is great value in this. I also think there is good value in Argentina winning their group even at 1.2 Argentina should easily win all of their games.:ok

As the dust settles on the first round of games, this bet is looking good. In hindsight I probably had too much riding on the Chile Mexico game last night, and to be honest I felt ill when Mexico scored. But looking back, it is clear that Chile were much the better team. Given that Chile play Uruguay next, then this group may still hang in the balance going into the last round of games, but I am confident that one of these will secure top spot.

As the dust settles on the first round of games' date=' this bet is looking good. In hindsight I probably had too much riding on the Chile Mexico game last night, and to be honest I felt ill when Mexico scored. But looking back, it is clear that Chile were much the better team. Given that Chile play Uruguay next, then this group may still hang in the balance going into the last round of games, but I am confident that one of these will secure top spot.[/quote'] Yeah, I think Peru and Mexico have surprised, but it'll be one of your teams that wins it, I reckon Chile. Mexico look better than we all anticipated, but I think their inexperience will cost them important goals. Peru look solid, but I think Farfan and Pizarro's absences will be too much. Good luck :ok

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets Argentina just looked awful, couldn't believe the chances Colombia missed in the first half. anyone else watch it? VC go 10/11, that has to change surely in the morning.

I thought we could all add some opinions on the teams we think have a chance of winning the Copa America 2011. Colombia are my value pick at 34/1 (General)' date= and here's a little reason why.
If anyone followed, you can now lay on Betfair at 11/1. I will be riding on mine a little longer as I have been really impressed with their peformances and with Falcao now finding his feet they have a chance of winning this Copa America.

If anyone followed' date=' you can now lay on Betfair at 11/1. I will be riding on mine a little longer as I have been really impressed with their peformances and with Falcao now finding his feet they have a chance of winning this Copa America.[/quote'] I'd stay with it too. Argy and Brazil look a mess; the former could even go out tomorrow, stranger things. Uruguay have disappointed. I like Chile, I think they have a good chance. Colombia impressed me yesterday. The defence doesn't mess about, and will be hard to crack, and Falcao looked good yesterday, as did his back-up, Rodallega.

Re: Copa America 2011 - Outright Bets Given how light my stake was I'm happy to let it ride and see if Colombia can go all the way. On the whole though I'd back the views given for holding off on laying just yet anyway. Right now they are the side I've been most impressed with. They seem very well structured and balanced. The players look like they are all on the same page, which is more than can be said for Argentina and Brazil. Optimal lay time would probably be if they managed to get past the next round because facing Argentina will be a tough match.

Chile win to seal the group. A few hairly moments, but bet won :cigar

• 2 weeks later...

Sport Football (S.America)
Event Uruguay - Paraguay
Selection Paraguay
Strength 1/10
Date 24/07/2011
Bookmaker/Price 5Dimes @ 4.04
Reasoning The final that not many people could predict, after a shame of Brazil and Argentine, for me is s just final, both team have played good football and I'm not agree with all bookies for makeing favorite the team of Uruguay, for a match like this one is hard to predict a winer but I like more the game of Paraguay and the motivation is huge, I'll take Paraguay! 1-0 Good luck!