** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May Seems United odds have dropped, sure they were around 4.5 when prices were first out. Barcelona above even money now to win in the 90 minutes, decent price? If they bring their A game they're on another level to any team....but United seem to find a way more often then not. ;)

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May At least United won't have Ronaldo or Tevez sulking like little girls this time around :ok I think the odds look fair to me. Barcelona could easily tear United a new one, but both are extremely experienced at this level, so you can't discount what Fergie may have up his sleeve.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May really fancy barca here - they are by far the best team i have ever seen - dangerous from so many different areas and they have the best player in the world in messi. for me the deciding factor that won man u the league this year is that fact that the core of team have been together for a good few seasons and know how to play with each other but the same can be said about barca so no advantage there when you compare the individuals i would think that only vidic would make the barca starting team the only positive for man u is that its played at wembly but i dont see that being enough hopefully man u will have a go though and if they do we are sure to be in for a few goals and a crackin match

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May I think I'd find it hard to oppose Barca here. I think this United side is exceptional, no matter how many detractor's there are, but I still can't see it being enough. Does Wembley count as an ''away'' game for United? I know it's a neutral venue, but it isn't Old Trafford, and they've been poor away from there this season, whereas Barca's ''away'' form, I think, may have even been slightly better than their home. Obviously, United already played a competitive game at Wembley once this season, and it didn't go so well...

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May Barca is out of this world, in my opinion; that's a team we might still talk about in a decade or two. United is very good, but they don't outclass their opponents as Barca do. I'm happy with the @2 price on Catalans, as far as I'm concerned. Medium stakes.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May What do people think the odds are going to do this week? Ive already put quite a bit on Barca at 10/11 thinking that was a good price, since then they have drifted quite a lot. I am going to back Barca again but im not sure whether to take the price now or wait as the odds are only going one way at the moment.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May

I would expect the money to come for Barcelona next week. They are 2.06 on the exchanges at the moment. I'd be surprised if they stayed above evens all the way up until kick off. But who knows. There will naturally be plenty of support for the English team in the markets and that can always keep a price artificially high. I also think Barca will win. Their midfield should wipe the floor with what Man Utd has to offer in the middle. And I'm looking for Messi to make his mark here in a big way. But I'm less confident about Barca than I would have been a few months ago when they were playing out of this world. Their form has definitely dipped as the season has worn on, and I think some of their key players have been showing signs of fatigue. Hopefully their opportunity to take it easy through the last few league games and rest players has helped. But I definitely do have a niggling doubt at the back of mind that Man Utd may grab a famous upset. So I'll be playing it careful with my positions. :)
Barca might come in a bit but don't think there will be much change in the prices. The key to the whole match will certainly be Messi imo. Ferguson will play tight in midfield and in Park and Fletcher have players that can hassle for 90mins, the quality is certainly with Barca in the midfield but I would write United off at your peril.. Might sound strange but I don't think there are many goals in this Barcelona side, since Christmas Pedro and Villa especially have been poor and the onus is massively on Messi, I'd question if Villa even deserves a starting spot currently. Messi is the player that will make the difference and if he is on form then Barca will work, if he isn't they won't. Barca won the league before Christmas and haven't dazzled since, think United are catching them at a good time. Barca have also been rotating players massively, this could be an important thing in my eyes as I think that if you are performing well you don't rotate the team, the first choice XI hasn't played together since the 8th against Espanyol and while most will view this as an advantage because the line-up will be fully rested and ready to go, I think they haven't been firing for a while and particuarly in goalscoring areas they are not in form. The only bet I would go for currently is under 2.5, I don't see goals in this at all and don't see the extravagance of football that many are hoping for. I think it will be cagey, and a closely fought midfield battle, and I wouldn't fancy picking a winner..

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May BREAKING NEWS: Manchester United team to face Barcelona in saturdays Champ league Final Van Der Sar Rafael Ferdinand Vidic Evra Valencia Carrick Park An Un-named Premier League Footballer (who has won it 12 times btw) Rooney Hernandez

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May

Barca might come in a bit but don't think there will be much change in the prices. The key to the whole match will certainly be Messi imo. Ferguson will play tight in midfield and in Park and Fletcher have players that can hassle for 90mins, the quality is certainly with Barca in the midfield but I would write United off at your peril.. Might sound strange but I don't think there are many goals in this Barcelona side, since Christmas Pedro and Villa especially have been poor and the onus is massively on Messi, I'd question if Villa even deserves a starting spot currently. Messi is the player that will make the difference and if he is on form then Barca will work, if he isn't they won't. Barca won the league before Christmas and haven't dazzled since, think United are catching them at a good time. Barca have also been rotating players massively, this could be an important thing in my eyes as I think that if you are performing well you don't rotate the team, the first choice XI hasn't played together since the 8th against Espanyol and while most will view this as an advantage because the line-up will be fully rested and ready to go, I think they haven't been firing for a while and particuarly in goalscoring areas they are not in form. The only bet I would go for currently is under 2.5, I don't see goals in this at all and don't see the extravagance of football that many are hoping for. I think it will be cagey, and a closely fought midfield battle, and I wouldn't fancy picking a winner..
Disagree with a lot of this post. First of all, Barcelona are so much more than a one man team and the key to this game will not come down to one player and is an insult to probably the greatest ever spanish central midfielder in Xavi and others like the genius of Iniesta and the rest of their team. Xavi makes them tick, and in Messi we know what were going to get with his amazing level of consistentcy. Agree about Villa though. His performances have been getting steadily poorer as the season's progresssed, and with the Barca fans not being on the shy side, i think he's struggling to handle the pressure. As for Pedro though, i'm sorry but you are way of the mark there. Poor since Christmas? I don't know if you watch Barca games or not but you'll need to explain that one to me. He was out for the best part of a month since around the middle of March, but up untill then he had been exceptional and he's easily had his best season as a Barcelona player. He's slowly been eased back in, and even though he isn't scoring as many goals as he was back at the start of the year, that's easy to undersand why as he has been recovering from injury, isn't a striker and hasn't had as much game time. As for Barca rotating player massively? In the last two games yes after the league was won @ Levante, but certainly not before. It's all part of the modern game and considering the amount of games they've had to play this season it makes sense and imo it would be total madness to keep playing their best X1 with them already looking tired and with the risk of injury to key players. A two week rest for their top stars will help them big time, and come saturday i'm convinced we won't be seeing a tired looking Barcelona side and if so they should have too much for Utd. As for the last piece i highlighted mate, considering you think it will be tight and that you wouldn't fancy picking a winner, surely the way the odds are set you will be laying Barcelona as that is what it's all about, odds no? Just started to look into the game myself and wondering if there will be much movement in the odds as i must say i'm tempted to put in a back of the Catalans @ 2.08 with betfair as i doubt if they do drift, it will be much bigger than they are now and if anything, i would predict they will go the other way although only slightly. As for the game itself and as a spectacle, i would love to see hernandez play as i think he linking up with Rooney could give the Barca back line a lot of problems. Certainly lots to think about and although i've had a quick look, if anyone could confirm or post a link with any decent info with regards to Puyol starting or not it would much appreciated :ok

Disagree with a lot of this post. First of all, Barcelona are so much more than a one man team and the key to this game will not come down to one player and is an insult to probably the greatest ever spanish central midfielder in Xavi and others like the genius of Iniesta and the rest of their team. Xavi makes them tick, and in Messi we know what were going to get with his amazing level of consistentcy. Agree about Villa though. His performances have been getting steadily poorer as the season's progresssed, and with the Barca fans not being on the shy side, i think he's struggling to handle the pressure. As for Pedro though, i'm sorry but you are way of the mark there. Poor since Christmas? I don't know if you watch Barca games or not but you'll need to explain that one to me. He was out for the best part of a month since around the middle of March, but up untill then he had been exceptional and he's easily had his best season as a Barcelona player. He's slowly been eased back in, and even though he isn't scoring as many goals as he was back at the start of the year, that's easy to undersand why as he has been recovering from injury, isn't a striker and hasn't had as much game time. As for Barca rotating player massively? In the last two games yes after the league was won @ Levante, but certainly not before. It's all part of the modern game and considering the amount of games they've had to play this season it makes sense and imo it would be total madness to keep playing their best X1 with them already looking tired and with the risk of injury to key players. A two week rest for their top stars will help them big time, and come saturday i'm convinced we won't be seeing a tired looking Barcelona side and if so they should have too much for Utd. As for the last piece i highlighted mate, considering you think it will be tight and that you wouldn't fancy picking a winner, surely the way the odds are set you will be laying Barcelona as that is what it's all about, odds no? Just started to look into the game myself and wondering if there will be much movement in the odds as i must say i'm tempted to put in a back of the Catalans @ 2.08 with betfair as i doubt if they do drift, it will be much bigger than they are now and if anything, i would predict they will go the other way although only slightly. As for the game itself and as a spectacle, i would love to see hernandez play as i think he linking up with Rooney could give the Barca back line a lot of problems. Certainly lots to think about and although i've had a quick look, if anyone could confirm or post a link with any decent info with regards to Puyol starting or not it would much appreciated :ok
Good I like a good argument ;)..Yep I watch Barca plenty, Xavi and Iniesta are an important part of the team obviously, but will they win the final for them? I very much doubt it, too often this side has been relying on Messi for magic to create the vital breakthrough in games they have been otherwise struggling in, he is the creative element that this side relies on. It will be to United's advantage to be the underdogs going into this if they go into it confident with two up front they could easily get picked off by leaving too many gaps in midfield, if United can stop Messi they will go a long way to keeping them out.. I've little interest in what Pedro did before his injury the fact is that was months ago and has no bearing on this game at all, he has scored two goals since January and his near month long injury he missed just two games and since then there have been 13 games and he has only started a handful of them, easing him back in? Don't think so, he has just been poor in the last 3 months or so, like Villa, after a blistering first 5-6 months of the season. The simple fact is they are struggling to break teams down lately, they have only scored more than 2 goals once in the last thirteen games. Maybe they have just become more laid back since the league has been won in the last few months, but I don't think you can just turn form on and off. I will be interested to see how much fresher Barca's rested players appear, my comment about them massively resting players was a bit off I agree, any manager would do the same but I'm not sure they will just be able to go to the form of 4 months ago just because they have had a couple of weeks off. As I said I see this as tight and cagey and I think United will be comfortable to be the underdog and wait for the opportunity to counter attack, Ferguson has reinvented them this season and they don't have the star names they used to but this game is likely to bring out the best in them imo. Barca have only Messi in form from an attacking sense I don't think there are many arguments on this point. I would argue that United DNB (2.96 betfair) with small stakes is a good value bet, but certainly under 2.5 (1.84 paddypower) is the play here.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May No offence to anyone here, but why are a lot of peeps going on about the odds changing? What difference does it honestly make if Barca drop from say 2.05 to 1.95? :lol

No offence to anyone here' date=' but why are a lot of peeps going on about the odds changing? What difference does it honestly make if Barca drop from say 2.05 to 1.95? :lol[/quote'] A ten tick movement in the price can make all the difference mate. Getting on at the right price is half the battle - add all those ten ticks up over the course of a season and that's a lot of profit down the drain.

No offence to anyone here' date=' but why are a lot of peeps going on about the odds changing? What difference does it honestly make if Barca drop from say 2.05 to 1.95? :lol[/quote'] It makes a massive difference if you've got on at the higher price. Presently on Betfair you can get 2.06 for Barcelona in 90 mins which probably decent value. At 1.95 I wouldn't go never it. You need to price up matches on your own, before looking at a bookmakers, then look to see where differences and therefore value exists. Really, this is punting 101.

No offence to anyone here' date=' but why are a lot of peeps going on about the odds changing? What difference does it honestly make if Barca drop from say 2.05 to 1.95? :lol[/quote'] To add to the informative posts above, it tells me where all the money is going, which often send me the other way because these public bets have a habit of biting us in the backside. Not so much in this case though because I think the world and his wife will obviously be in on Barca.

A ten tick movement in the price can make all the difference mate. Getting on at the right price is half the battle - add all those ten ticks up over the course of a season and that's a lot of profit down the drain.
It's not really a battle though, is it? Prices always drop, because it's a simple bookmaker trap, to try and get people to back before they have all the necessary info, like for example team news, which is crucial. I remember the time I learnt to never place a bet before seeing the teams. Man United lost at Bolton, and left Ronaldo out. I wouldn't of taken that bet had I known that. Would I of risked it for say £1, had I a tenner on, or £10, had I £100 on? (if the drop was like I originally used as an example, 2.05 to 1.95) Of course not, that's ridiculous.
It makes a massive difference if you've got on at the higher price. Presently on Betfair you can get 2.06 for Barcelona in 90 mins which probably decent value. At 1.95 I wouldn't go never it.
:rollinYeah, 1.95 are joke odds. Sorry, but imo, that's taking the concept of value to crazy levels.
You need to price up matches on your own, before looking at a bookmakers, then look to see where differences and therefore value exists. Really, this is punting 101.
And does looking and games and actually trying to pick which side will win ever come in to things? :unsure Sorry, know this is off topic and I'll quit now, but I really think the concept of value is overplayed on this site. I'm starting to look at value a bit more now, as I'm trying out playing different bets, but seriously, if you only ever played games that you thought were perfect ''value'', you'd take about three bets a season :lol Bottom line, for me anyway, is if you pick enough winners, have a high enough hit rate, points differences like I used as an example here are completely irrelevant. Let the flaming begin :(

Good I like a good argument ;)..Yep I watch Barca plenty, Xavi and Iniesta are an important part of the team obviously, but will they win the final for them? I very much doubt it, too often this side has been relying on Messi for magic to create the vital breakthrough in games they have been otherwise struggling in, he is the creative element that this side relies on. It will be to United's advantage to be the underdogs going into this if they go into it confident with two up front they could easily get picked off by leaving too many gaps in midfield, if United can stop Messi they will go a long way to keeping them out.. I've little interest in what Pedro did before his injury the fact is that was months ago and has no bearing on this game at all, he has scored two goals since January and his near month long injury he missed just two games and since then there have been 13 games and he has only started a handful of them, easing him back in? Don't think so, he has just been poor in the last 3 months or so, like Villa, after a blistering first 5-6 months of the season. The simple fact is they are struggling to break teams down lately, they have only scored more than 2 goals once in the last thirteen games. Maybe they have just become more laid back since the league has been won in the last few months, but I don't think you can just turn form on and off. I will be interested to see how much fresher Barca's rested players appear, my comment about them massively resting players was a bit off I agree, any manager would do the same but I'm not sure they will just be able to go to the form of 4 months ago just because they have had a couple of weeks off. As I said I see this as tight and cagey and I think United will be comfortable to be the underdog and wait for the opportunity to counter attack, Ferguson has reinvented them this season and they don't have the star names they used to but this game is likely to bring out the best in them imo. Barca have only Messi in form from an attacking sense I don't think there are many arguments on this point. I would argue that United DNB (2.96 betfair) with small stakes is a good value bet, but certainly under 2.5 (1.84 paddypower) is the play here.
I agree they have relied on Messi at times to break teams down, but more so as the season has neared its end and as Barcelona have looked rather jaded, but remember they league was pretty much won a long time ago and i believe this would certainly have effected their level of intensity. I don't believe that will be the case on saturday. Messi is obviously their most creative and dangerous player, but to say you very much doubt Xavi or Iniesta can win the cup for them is frankly laughable mate. Fair enough if you don't care about what Pedro done before his injury, but i have to go back to your comment that he has been poor since Christmas because it's bollocks. From the week before Christmas untill the end February he scored his 11th goal in that period ending with a wonder goal against Mallorca. He still started the 4 recent games against Real Madrid which tells it's own story and has been given a rest in some of the less imortant games. I don't know if your basing your argument that he has been poor on his recent lack of goals?, but whatever, we'll have to disagree on this one as from what i've seen his performances certainly couldn't be classed as poor. As good is Messi is, i think it's naive of you to basically say the game comes down to one player and whether Utd can stop him. This is not a love in for Barca, but they have so many players that can hurt you and along with Sacchi's Milan team they are easily the best two teams of my generation, and Barca have the chance to better that and possibly become the greatest club team of all time. As i already mentioned i think the rest the Barcelona players have had will do them a power of good and they should have too much for Utd although a Utd win wouldn't surprise me. It's Manchester utd afterall who can never be written off especially being managed by one of the all time greats. Personally and i'm not sure many will agree with me, would be for utd to start Henandez up with Rooney with the latter dropping off a little to help the midfield rather than packing the midfield. I certainly don't think one up top is the way to go for them. The Barca team pretty much picks itself, but it will be interesting to see Fergie's first X1 and how he will set them up. Any news on Puyol anyone please? His last game was on the 3rd against Madrid. Is he just being wrapped in cotton wool for this game after his long injury lay off as i can't find much about him.

It makes a massive difference if you've got on at the higher price. Presently on Betfair you can get 2.06 for Barcelona in 90 mins which probably decent value. At 1.95 I wouldn't go never it. You need to price up matches on your own, before looking at a bookmakers, then look to see where differences and therefore value exists. Really, this is punting 101.
This for me mate. I think the value talk has been done many times before and will continue to do so, but i don't think this is the thread for anymore value chat.:ok

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May Fancy United in this one, Wembley is a big advantage in my eyes and i think fergies decision to play a few first teamers at the weekend is a bonus. Barca rested many for their last game and im going with united if park and valencia are playing. they are no Xavi and Iniesta but they work like no other wingers and make the middle of the park ALOT more difficult to play in. Also Paddy Power are doing money back if Barca win in 90 mins (correct score, 1st/last goalscorer and scorecast) so if anyone has an account and is betting on united in any of these it might be worth a bet here.

I agree they have relied on Messi at times to break teams down, but more so as the season has neared its end and as Barcelona have looked rather jaded, but remember they league was pretty much won a long time ago and i believe this would certainly have effected their level of intensity. I don't believe that will be the case on saturday. Messi is obviously their most creative and dangerous player, but to say you very much doubt Xavi or Iniesta can win the cup for them is frankly laughable mate. Fair enough if you don't care about what Pedro done before his injury, but i have to go back to your comment that he has been poor since Christmas because it's bollocks. From the week before Christmas untill the end February he scored his 11th goal in that period ending with a wonder goal against Mallorca. He still started the 4 recent games against Real Madrid which tells it's own story and has been given a rest in some of the less imortant games. I don't know if your basing your argument that he has been poor on his recent lack of goals?, but whatever, we'll have to disagree on this one as from what i've seen his performances certainly couldn't be classed as poor. As good is Messi is, i think it's naive of you to basically say the game comes down to one player and whether Utd can stop him. This is not a love in for Barca, but they have so many players that can hurt you and along with Sacchi's Milan team they are easily the best two teams of my generation, and Barca have the chance to better that and possibly become the greatest club team of all time. As i already mentioned i think the rest the Barcelona players have had will do them a power of good and they should have too much for Utd although a Utd win wouldn't surprise me. It's Manchester utd afterall who can never be written off especially being managed by one of the all time greats. Personally and i'm not sure many will agree with me, would be for utd to start Henandez up with Rooney with the latter dropping off a little to help the midfield rather than packing the midfield. I certainly don't think one up top is the way to go for them. The Barca team pretty much picks itself, but it will be interesting to see Fergie's first X1 and how he will set them up. Any news on Puyol anyone please? His last game was on the 3rd against Madrid. Is he just being wrapped in cotton wool for this game after his long injury lay off as i can't find much about him.
I've read that Mascherano will probably team up with Pique in central defense as Puyol has ongoing problems with his knee.

There is a difference between monopolising possession in the oppositions half and actually hurting them. Xavi and Iniesta are great players there is no argument, their passing is very good but will they win the game for them? Iniesta is more of a goal threat than Xavi but neither of them I would call potential danger men to grab a goal, that is on Messi, Pedro and Villa as the sides offensive players.

As for Pedro, Christmas, end of January who cares? It's still months ago whichever way you look at it! 2 goals since then tells it's own story for a offensive player in a superb team like this one, and he is subbed virtually every game, if he does start at all..

Pedro Since Beginning of Feb potentially 23 games -

90 minutes completed - 3

Substituted - 9

Substitute brought on - 7

Assists - 1

Goals - 2

You can't argue with that can you!? Thats what I'm basing my argument on, and as stated previously he only missed 2 games through injury so I don't count that as much of a factor. Won't go into that much detail for all their attacking players but Villa has 5 goals in 23 games over the same period which is obviously poor and contrast this with Messi:

Messi Since Beginning of Feb -

23 games

15 goals

7 assists

Its undeniable for me that he is the major threat and if they can stop him playing there is a good chance of stopping Barca scoring. There is no argument that Barca are a great team but I don't think offensively they are in good form. POTENTIALLY Villa could win the game for Barca but there is NOTHING in recent form to suggest he will, Pedro I am not yet convinced by, but even if he is potentially the best player on the planet, his recent stats would make Stuart Downing blush.

As for the United line-up I agree it will be interesting, Rooney will obviously start and maybe as you say Hernandez will also, this will be a big responsibility on his defensive capabilities and United will need to defend as a five in midfield imo. Ferguson will have noted that sides have been able to stop them playing by limiting the service to Messi's feet just outside the box and crowding them out in this area, given his close relationship to Mourinho and the fact that he said he would be speaking to him about the match I am confident he will have formulated a decent plan to close down space in the areas Barca are overly dangerous, and in Fletcher and Park they have players who can easily cover the ground required, I don't expect them to go as defence as Madrid did against them but they certainly won't be gung-ho. Under 2.5 is still my call on this one.

No offence to anyone here' date=' but why are a lot of peeps going on about the odds changing? What difference does it honestly make if Barca drop from say 2.05 to 1.95? :lol[/quote'] It depends on how much you bet? If your putting a tenner on then you might laugh, thinking the difference is only a quid or so. I personally will be putting a big three figured number on this game which means the diffence between 2.05 and 1.95 is going to be more than £50, so yeah i think it does make a difference. I took 10/11 about a month ago, thinking they were cracking odds. I personally would take Barca on anything above 4/7. IMO the current odds make Barcelona the bet of the season. All opinions though :)

There is a difference between monopolising possession in the oppositions half and actually hurting them. Xavi and Iniesta are great players there is no argument, their passing is very good but will they win the game for them? Iniesta is more of a goal threat than Xavi but neither of them I would call potential danger men to grab a goal, that is on Messi, Pedro and Villa as the sides offensive players.

Guess you're not a dutch man ;). Strongly disagree with this comment. Iniesta and Xavi are possibly the two most creative players in the world. They may not score lots but they are involved in almost every goal Barca score. Look at the three goals they scored against Arsenal. Iniesta with a ball through to Messi for the first, Iniestsas jiking run and then Xavi finishing off for the second. Xavi with the ball through to win the penalty. They create so many chances for the front three. Definate match winners for me

It depends on how much you bet? If your putting a tenner on then you might laugh, thinking the difference is only a quid or so. I personally will be putting a big three figured number on this game which means the diffence between 2.05 and 1.95 is going to be more than £50, so yeah i think it does make a difference. I took 10/11 about a month ago, thinking they were cracking odds. I personally would take Barca on anything above 4/7. IMO the current odds make Barcelona the bet of the season. All opinions though :)
Not meaning to be condescending, but putting that sort of cash on the match puts you in the minority of punters here, mate ;) Regards that second statement, thank God for you Messi didn't do his hamstring in the preceding weeks :lol

Guess you're not a dutch man ;). Strongly disagree with this comment. Iniesta and Xavi are possibly the two most creative players in the world. They may not score lots but they are involved in almost every goal Barca score. Look at the three goals they scored against Arsenal. Iniesta with a ball through to Messi for the first, Iniestsas jiking run and then Xavi finishing off for the second. Xavi with the ball through to win the penalty. They create so many chances for the front three. Definate match winners for me
The key part. It's alright having creative players if you have others who can finish the chances. I'm not saying Xavi and Iniesta aren't great players, they are, and can penetrate most defences but if the forwards aren't doing the business they aren't going to be able to do it all on their own. I stand by my overall viewpoint, as Barca are currently if you stop Messi you stand a good chance of stopping Barca. Read the rest of my post.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May I enjoyed reading the conversation that has been going on between yourselves, 'theboybroon' and 'HastGill1'and would like to share my opinion if you dont mind. HastGill1, reading through all your posts on this forum regarding the champs league final, on one you said 'the key to the whole match will certainly be Messi imo'. I dont think that is the case. I asked myself how can you base the outcome or how the match will go from one player? but I see you are taking a keen interest in current form of players leading up to this match and there is my answer. I am a massive fan of Messi and he is undoubtedly in my eyes the best player in the world at this current time but I dont believe he is the only key in the game which will decide how this one goes. Messi's form and how well he plays is determined by the workrate and input of his team mates although there's no denying he can make something out of nothing on his own which im sure is what you are getting at when you think of him as the key to the whole match. It is the players around him who set up his goals. Yes, he has scored the majority of goals for Barcelona this season and has made Villa and Pedro look like they off-form, if you like, but they are still key players in Barcelona's success. Obviously Villa and Pedro would have liked to have scored more this season and as forward players you would look at their stats for this season and they are not great. Being a regular viewer of Spanish football and Barcelona I have seen most, if not all of their games this season which Sky has covered and I have to say that due to Messi's outstanding goalscoring record this season he has got more of the spotlight and scoring the amount of goals he has, has somewhat overshadowed Villa and Pedro making them look as if they are under-performing. In your first post you said that if Messi is on form then Barca will work, if he isn't then they won't and another statement 'Xavi and Iniesta are an important part of the team obviously, but will they win the final for them? I very much doubt it'. I totally disagree with these statements as Xavi and Iniesta are the key to the majority of Messi's success minus the unbelievable individual work which he creates all alone such as his goal against Real Madrid at the Bernabau. I believe if Xavi and Iniesta perform well and create space for themselves, retaining possession then they are the key which will set Messi free and I have no doubts they can and will do that as I dont see any players in the world at this time capable of stopping them. I see you are thinking more along the lines of scoring goals but Iniesta and Xavi are more than capable of scoring goals, Iniesta more than Xavi yes but also on that note, every player on the pitch is more than capable of scoring. The main point I would like to make is current form, and goalscoring stats goes out the window when it comes to any final. Yes, with regards to current form, if a player is performing badly enough and retains his starting position he would surely still misfire but despite your stats on Villa and Pedro I have seen no evidence to suggest they do not merit their starting place and will not undermine their importance to the Barcelona side, importance to playing alongside Messi and ability to score despite any stats there is. I stand by what I mentioned above with Messi's amount of goals overshadowing Villa and Pedro, thus being misguiding, making them seems as if they are under-performing. I think myself and 'theboybroon' are coming from the same direction with our views on Barcelona as I agree with the majority of what he has says in his posts. It has already been says by 'theboybroon' with regards to Barcelona's rotation of players but I also disagree with you on that, as Pep uses virtually the same starting 11 at every opportunity he can except in cases this season such as the injury to Puyol, Pedro and Abidal for examples. It has only been in the last two league games which we have seen rotation and huge rotation at that drafting in youngsters and B team players as the league was officially won. This was to also rest his key men a whole two weeks before the Man Utd match, keeping them fresh and preventing burn out before the big game. I acknowledge you says you were a bit off about them massively resting players but this rest will be of major importance to the freshness and spring in the step of the Barcelona team. You have pointed out that they have struggled to break teams down but I do believe it is tiredness being a factor and motivation. Yes, many will agree, the league was unofficially over/won a while ago and you dont think you can just turn form on and off but it is due to the lead on which they had in the league their motivation levels will have dropped during games where they have began to feel tired, this tiredness from using almost the same squad game in game out. Only Messi is the one oozing with 'extra' energy if you like, to his team mates. Players can find it easy to slack off thus creating less and not breaking teams down who rise to the occasion as they are playing Barcelona and although Messi can do a lot on his own, he cannot do it all, every game. This is the conclusion I have came to while watching them all season. I believe the two weeks rest to key players and the majority of the starting 11 will be of a great boost to Barcelona's concentration and overall performance. 'I think it will be cagey, and a closely fought midfield battle, and I wouldn't fancy picking a winner'. Wise choice to sit on the fence haha. I agree with you though, I believe Man Utd will be better prepared this time around and will make a closely fought midfield battle as you said and it will be the fine details that make the game. If plan A fails, I also believe Man Utd will have a plan B and possibly C. I have tried to be as fair and open minded as I can about this game but if you didnt already know.. I am a HUGE Barcelona fan and will now be biased. Dont think the above was all biased, it is just personal opinion from watching them this season and previous years. I refuse to back against the team I support and have watched all season. I and everyone else know what they are capable of and believe they WILL find a way through despite what Man Utd make of it in the opening stages. No matter how many plan's Man Utd have to revert to, I believe they will somehow still be undone. I think Man Utd will pack the midfield trying to contain Barcelona's movement and space to pass but Barcelona are very very good in these situations and will cut Man Utd open. With Barcelona's undoubted high percentage of possession they will tire out players and eventually gaps will form. With Rooney and Hernandez however they remain very dangerous on attack and it will be up to Man Utd to make most of their attacks. I believe Hernandez could be a major factor if Man Utd were to cause damage but I will stand behind my team. Viva el Barca !!

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May Hernandez to score 4/1 Hernandez first goal 9/1 on betfair but will look on paddy power obviously! Definately going to be mega dangerous for barca defenders to keep from having at least one decent chance. Sure it will be hard for utd to build good attacks but they will. I can see rooney playing well and creating chances with passes through and over the top also giggs is class with movement and passes. Bit speculative but still cant decide on main bet as i think utd could pull through... Barca are tired and use squad less for sure but still thinking

I enjoyed reading the conversation that has been going on between yourselves' date= 'theboybroon' and 'HastGill1'and would like to share my opinion if you dont mind. HastGill1, reading through all your posts on this forum regarding the champs league final, on one you said 'the key to the whole match will certainly be Messi imo'. I dont think that is the case. I asked myself how can you base the outcome or how the match will go from one player? but I see you are taking a keen interest in current form of players leading up to this match and there is my answer. I am a massive fan of Messi and he is undoubtedly in my eyes the best player in the world at this current time but I dont believe he is the only key in the game which will decide how this one goes. Messi's form and how well he plays is determined by the workrate and input of his team mates although there's no denying he can make something out of nothing on his own which im sure is what you are getting at when you think of him as the key to the whole match. It is the players around him who set up his goals. Yes, he has scored the majority of goals for Barcelona this season and has made Villa and Pedro look like they off-form, if you like, but they are still key players in Barcelona's success. Obviously Villa and Pedro would have liked to have scored more this season and as forward players you would look at their stats for this season and they are not great. Being a regular viewer of Spanish football and Barcelona I have seen most, if not all of their games this season which Sky has covered and I have to say that due to Messi's outstanding goalscoring record this season he has got more of the spotlight and scoring the amount of goals he has, has somewhat overshadowed Villa and Pedro making them look as if they are under-performing. In your first post you said that if Messi is on form then Barca will work, if he isn't then they won't and another statement 'Xavi and Iniesta are an important part of the team obviously, but will they win the final for them? I very much doubt it'. I totally disagree with these statements as Xavi and Iniesta are the key to the majority of Messi's success minus the unbelievable individual work which he creates all alone such as his goal against Real Madrid at the Bernabau. I believe if Xavi and Iniesta perform well and create space for themselves, retaining possession then they are the key which will set Messi free and I have no doubts they can and will do that as I dont see any players in the world at this time capable of stopping them. I see you are thinking more along the lines of scoring goals but Iniesta and Xavi are more than capable of scoring goals, Iniesta more than Xavi yes but also on that note, every player on the pitch is more than capable of scoring. The main point I would like to make is current form, and goalscoring stats goes out the window when it comes to any final. Yes, with regards to current form, if a player is performing badly enough and retains his starting position he would surely still misfire but despite your stats on Villa and Pedro I have seen no evidence to suggest they do not merit their starting place and will not undermine their importance to the Barcelona side, importance to playing alongside Messi and ability to score despite any stats there is. I stand by what I mentioned above with Messi's amount of goals overshadowing Villa and Pedro, thus being misguiding, making them seems as if they are under-performing. I think myself and 'theboybroon' are coming from the same direction with our views on Barcelona as I agree with the majority of what he has says in his posts. It has already been says by 'theboybroon' with regards to Barcelona's rotation of players but I also disagree with you on that, as Pep uses virtually the same starting 11 at every opportunity he can except in cases this season such as the injury to Puyol, Pedro and Abidal for examples. It has only been in the last two league games which we have seen rotation and huge rotation at that drafting in youngsters and B team players as the league was officially won. This was to also rest his key men a whole two weeks before the Man Utd match, keeping them fresh and preventing burn out before the big game. I acknowledge you says you were a bit off about them massively resting players but this rest will be of major importance to the freshness and spring in the step of the Barcelona team. You have pointed out that they have struggled to break teams down but I do believe it is tiredness being a factor and motivation. Yes, many will agree, the league was unofficially over/won a while ago and you dont think you can just turn form on and off but it is due to the lead on which they had in the league their motivation levels will have dropped during games where they have began to feel tired, this tiredness from using almost the same squad game in game out. Only Messi is the one oozing with 'extra' energy if you like, to his team mates. Players can find it easy to slack off thus creating less and not breaking teams down who rise to the occasion as they are playing Barcelona and although Messi can do a lot on his own, he cannot do it all, every game. This is the conclusion I have came to while watching them all season. I believe the two weeks rest to key players and the majority of the starting 11 will be of a great boost to Barcelona's concentration and overall performance. 'I think it will be cagey, and a closely fought midfield battle, and I wouldn't fancy picking a winner'. Wise choice to sit on the fence haha. I agree with you though, I believe Man Utd will be better prepared this time around and will make a closely fought midfield battle as you said and it will be the fine details that make the game. If plan A fails, I also believe Man Utd will have a plan B and possibly C. I have tried to be as fair and open minded as I can about this game but if you didnt already know.. I am a HUGE Barcelona fan and will now be biased. Dont think the above was all biased, it is just personal opinion from watching them this season and previous years. I refuse to back against the team I support and have watched all season. I and everyone else know what they are capable of and believe they WILL find a way through despite what Man Utd make of it in the opening stages. No matter how many plan's Man Utd have to revert to, I believe they will somehow still be undone. I think Man Utd will pack the midfield trying to contain Barcelona's movement and space to pass but Barcelona are very very good in these situations and will cut Man Utd open. With Barcelona's undoubted high percentage of possession they will tire out players and eventually gaps will form. With Rooney and Hernandez however they remain very dangerous on attack and it will be up to Man Utd to make most of their attacks. I believe Hernandez could be a major factor if Man Utd were to cause damage but I will stand behind my team. Viva el Barca !!
Thanks for your post very well written, well up until the fact you reveal your a Barca fan and biased! :lol To be honest we are going through matters of opinion to death and essentially getting nowhere! To go over it again I think Xavi and Iniesta are great players. But they are not a real goalscoring threat, Barcelona will need to score to win this game unless it goes to penalties. The reason I am continuously pointing out the form of Pedro and Villa is because they are supposed to be, along with Messi, the main goalscoring threats in the side, but neither are in goalscoring form, or any sort of form to be honest, as the stats show. So the emphasis falls on Messi by default, and he is more than capable of carrying the goalscoring burden, but if United can neutralise his threat I think they carry a decent chance. I understand why Barca are favourites and if they do win then fair enough but I think it will be close hence why under 2.5 goals would be my choice (price dropped like a stone btw from the 1.84 I originally to 1.71 now best on the exchanges to 1.6ish elsewhere and prob carries little value now).. Your comment 'form goes out the window because it's a final' is nonsense imo, if we can't go on current form what do we go on!? Villa's form in October perhaps? Take you'll be sticking a tidy wager on him scoring if we are disregarding form over the last few months, as he has good goalscoring pedigree. Your paragraph about them resting players in interesting as you admit a lot of the team has looked tired in the final third of the season and I agree resting players is perfectly logical and understandable as I noted, I'm just not sure a couple of weeks rest will result in the side performing at the levels they were 4-5 months ago, although Pep has done all he can in the hope it will. 'Messi's amount of goals overshadowing Villa and Pedro, thus being misguiding, making them seems as if they are under-performing' isn't really a strong point. Pedro isn't starting games, isn't finishing them, isn't scoring or providing assists in what is a prominent attacking position in the side, so he definitely is under-performing as the stats I provided show. Everyone who is interested in the Spanish league knows Villa has been under-performing for the last few months as he has hardly scored and that is how an striker, of his type, is judged. Think I am going over what I have previously stated so at the risk of boring the casual reader to tears ('too late!' they cry) I'll leave it there..GL in the final mate, I personally don't care who wins.

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May I think i have the holy grail Messi is amazing but cant win every game himself..he aint zizou! Xavi is amazing and is involved in 1 of ever 4 barca passes so will be influential no matter what Iniesta is amazing and finds little space for himself and passes and team mates to exploit so will always be a danger..world cup anyone!? Barca defence never exposed to such attacks as man u..esp hernandez compared to real/valencia etc. Its all down to ferguson tactics as there is no doubt he is cleverer than pep in one off games. Pep has his tactics from barca heritage. Fergie makes them for each game. And theres no ronaldo to go gungho and not work for team this year. Thats the big difference this year for sure Also if mascherano plays defence he will be exposed

Re: UEFA Champions League Final: FC Barcelona v Manchester United - Saturday 28th May wow eryone got diffrent views, majority looks like there backin barca, a few who are on the fence and one or two who are backing manutd, now let me have my say i read erything wht eryone has got to say, u may all be right in your own, i agree with wht most people say, anyway IM a huge manutd fan,im tempted to back Manutd to lift trophy or manutd dnb @williamhilll, but this is Barcelona, so i gotta look at the bigger picture, pros 1-worlds best footballer right now, he has iniesta and xavi to feed him, 2- there passing movement, 3-there play acting can give them free kicks and such in dangerous areas which can change a game instantly and which can also lead to red cards and ill be more of advantage to barca 4- dont count pedro out he can be v dangerous on the run if he does play in the starting line up, underrated imo 5- hard to get ball of em, once they get in there grooove cons/weak-points- 1- messi might have a weak game, might be cramped by the lack of space, even tho he can make space but night be effective 2- messi weak on english soil, 3- barcelona won utd in rome 2 yrs bk, but utd wernt mentally prepared as of wht barcelona can do if u dont take chances imo, 5- messi goals against english team, yes messi torn arsenal appart come on lets be honest anyone can score against arsenal even the local pub team can,, he scored against utd in the final tht was when utd really lost belive u could tell they were no way near utd once the first goal went in, messi scored when utd were mentally gone when messi scored, tht happens in games, u people might disagree but oh well 5- there backline aint as solid as most thing, real madrid cant break em down easy as they got too many indivdual players who play for themselfs not as team,, where utd play as team , so any of utd front 5 can score, such as Park ji sung little sprint 6-pique lack of form- since he been humping shakira, who know i hope hes humped the night before so he doesnt play good, anyway i can say utd pros and cons but we all know there weakness and positives no need to go over it, but in some way form or shape ill be backin utd on dnb or to lift trophy and maybe anytime goal scorer, and i hope rooney turns up