** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Spain - La Liga - 21 May

Saturday 21 May 2011 Home Draw Away BPP
maximize.gif Málaga v FC Barcelona (17:00 BST) 3.5 3.4 2.2 103.44 %
maximize.gif Hercules CF v Real Sporting de Gijon (19:00 BST) 2.26 3.5 3.29 103.21 %
maximize.gif Real Madrid v UD Almería (19:00 BST) 1.16 9.8 22 100.47 %
maximize.gif Deportivo La Coruña v Valencia (21:00 BST) 1.54 4.2 7 103.03 %
maximize.gif Espanyol v Sevilla (21:00 BST) 3.1 3.55 2.4 102.09 %
maximize.gif Levante UD v Real Zaragoza (21:00 BST) 5.8 4.2 1.66 101.05 %
maximize.gif Osasuna v Villarreal (21:00 BST) 1.95 3 5.4 103.13 %
maximize.gif Racing Santander v Athletic Bilbao (21:00 BST) 3.1 3.5 2.4 102.50 %
maximize.gif Real Mallorca v Atlético Madrid (21:00 BST) 2.72 2.86 3.35 101.58 %
maximize.gif Real Sociedad v Getafe (21:00 BST) 2.44 3.45 3 103.30 %

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May Do any La Liga regulars think that it is worth opposing some of these relegation battlers who 'need' the points? It doesn't always work out like that but I don't know if any clubs maintain a friendly 'relationship'. Principally I'm thinking: Depor vs. Valencia - Valencia have a good away record overall, but they of course have nothing to play for in the sense that they have 3rd locked down and can't reach 2nd. Depor have a decent home record and need to secure La Liga status. They still have to come and win the game though and Valencia +1 (1.95 Bet365) looks like it could be appealing. Perhaps Malaga to get a result against Barca though I don't think I'd want to take the +0.25 line on offer. I'll have to look into teams news for the Depor-Valencia match and think further. Sevilla did tempt me, but they are shortening and I don't think I'm willing to take them at 2.25. EDIT - Scratch Malaga altogether as they are mathematically safe.

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May

Do any La Liga regulars think that it is worth opposing some of these relegation battlers who 'need' the points? It doesn't always work out like that but I don't know if any clubs maintain a friendly 'relationship'. Principally I'm thinking: Depor vs. Valencia - Valencia have a good away record overall, but they of course have nothing to play for in the sense that they have 3rd locked down and can't reach 2nd. Depor have a decent home record and need to secure La Liga status. They still have to come and win the game though and Valencia +1 (1.95 Bet365) looks like it could be appealing. Perhaps Malaga to get a result against Barca though I don't think I'd want to take the +0.25 line on offer. I'll have to look into teams news for the Depor-Valencia match and think further. Sevilla did tempt me, but they are shortening and I don't think I'm willing to take them at 2.25. EDIT - Scratch Malaga altogether as they are mathematically safe.
I think Deportivo will take those vital 3 pts which disappoints me a bit because as Valencia supporter (not a local fan but still one who follows all their games over the net/TV) I want to see them aiming for the win in every single game. Last week Los Che drew their match with Levante at home even though visitors went down to 10 men at 22'. Few weeks ago Bats lost their match to Osasuna showing absolutely no desire to get something out of that game which was the most apathetic performance I've seen during the season (may be because I couldn't get myself to watch them last week :lol ). It seems Valencia are generous to the teams involved in relegation battle. On the other hand La Coruna had an impressive performance at home 10 days ago when they hosted Bilbao. Finding themselves 1 goal behind Super Depor showed great spirit and turned the score around to 2-1 against a team fighting for Europa League slot. Valeron delivered some outstanding passes recalling his best times. I expect him along with Adrian and Riki to be the driving force behind the team on Saturday. I can't see past Deportivo here. La Coruna official website claims Lotina is planning to use the same lineup that defeated Athletic Bilbao. Guardado and Juan Rodriguez are coming back after they missed the game against Barca.
It is expected that Daniel Aranzubia will be at the goal, Laureano Sanabria ´Laure’ will cover the right-back position, Manuel Pablo will cover the left side at defense, and the central positions should be for Albert Lopo and Diego Colotto. At midfield, Guardado will be joined by Rubén Pérez and Juan Rodriguez; then Juan Carlos Valerón will be the playmaker in the formation, with Adrian López and Riki on the sides. The presence of Madrilenian Riki is one of the novelties compared to the previous game with Barcelona, this since Lassad Nouioui was the one that claimed the spot in attack during the visit to the Camp Nou.

Over 2.5 @ 1.22 Real-Almeria :lol Seems likely Ronnie will continue his hot streak, and to score first @ 3.10 may be worth a dabble.
I think the prices on Ronaldo to score are just horrible, I mean 1.25 with P Power - come on!! He has actually only scored in just over half of La Liga games this season. But of course with all the hype about the record, and despite him saying it is not that important, everyone knows the size of his ego. So a bet I did go with is each way on him to score first @3.4 with Bet366 (now cut to 3.1 but 3.25 still available with Hills). With 1/3 odds for a "place", this will pay 1.8. So nearly money back if he doesn't score first but scores later in the game. 1.5pts EW Ronaldo to score first @3.4 Bet366

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May :welcome to PL Ajedrez In this section you have to provide some reasoning for your bets. It does not need to be a lot, but some insight is required otherwise your post will be moved to the 'weekend bets' section where reasoning is not required.

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May Malaga v Barcelona Barcelona @ 2.10 (William Hill) This price is huge! Malaga are now safe in mid-table and like Barcelona have nothing to play for. I expect a load of reserve/fringe players playing for both teams however I do expect Messi to make an appearance at some point as he normally does to up his goal tally for the season - Ronaldo is a few ahead of him now in the race for the Pichici trophy but it won't stop Messi trying and I can't see Guardiola stopping him. The fringe/reserve players know this is their last chance to impress before the end of the season as they wont be playing in the Champions League final. I think Malaga will give it a go, but Barca will want to go out in style and keep spirits up for the final following a recent run of 'poor' (for their standards) results. Can't be refused at this price!

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May Malaga v Barcelona I am going to back Malaga with small stakes. They have a good momentum recording 5 wins and 1 draw in last 6 games. Baptista is in great form netting 6 in those 6 games. Hosts will want to finish the season in the best possible way - win against the champions Barcelona. Here are some news from catalans official website:

Pep Guardiola has decided to leave Valdés, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa, Puyol and Piqué behind for the trip to Malaga for the last league game of the season. Injured Gaby Milito also misses the game.
I think Malaga worth a shot here Malaga @3.20 with Bet365

Malaga v Barcelona I am going to back Malaga with small stakes. They have a good momentum recording 5 wins and 1 draw in last 6 games. Baptista is in great form netting 6 in those 6 games. Hosts will want to finish the season in the best possible way - win against the champions Barcelona. Here are some news from catalans official website: I think Malaga worth a shot here Malaga @3.20 with Bet365
Based on this news, I have decided to have look to get some exposure to Malaga and goals. As ValueHunter mentions, Malaga have been in good form of late, and have scored 14 in their last 6 games, and 8 in their last 3 homes. Baptista was tipped up here the other week for AGS, at 15/8 if I recall correctly, and duly obliged. He has 9 goals in his last 10 games, and 7 in the run of 5 wins and 1 draw mentioned above. On the goals front, Malaga are only 6/4 to score 2 or more. For me quite skinny when they are 2/1 to win the match. So I prefer the 15/4 on offer for them to score in both halves. 1.5pts Baptista Anytime Goalscorer @23/10 (BWin) 0.5pt Baptista to score 2 or more @16/1 (P Power) 1pt Malaga to score in both halves @15/4 (Boilsports) :hope

Based on this news, I have decided to have look to get some exposure to Malaga and goals. As ValueHunter mentions, Malaga have been in good form of late, and have scored 14 in their last 6 games, and 8 in their last 3 homes. Baptista was tipped up here the other week for AGS, at 15/8 if I recall correctly, and duly obliged. He has 9 goals in his last 10 games, and 7 in the run of 5 wins and 1 draw mentioned above. On the goals front, Malaga are only 6/4 to score 2 or more. For me quite skinny when they are 2/1 to win the match. So I prefer the 15/4 on offer for them to score in both halves. 1.5pts Baptista Anytime Goalscorer @23/10 (BWin) 0.5pt Baptista to score 2 or more @16/1 (P Power) 1pt Malaga to score in both halves @15/4 (Boilsports) :hope
Actually scrap all of this!! Just checked team news (before placing bets thankfully) and Baptista is injured!! Malaga also have some other important absentees - Rondon (attacker 30app/14gl) Demechelis (def 18app/1gl) Malgueno (def 11app/0gl) and a serious doubt on Mtiliga (def 19app/0gl) I am sure that with all the attacking talent that will be missing, there has to be some value somewhere in the goalscorer markets. I just can't see it at the moment :\

Actually scrap all of this!! Just checked team news (before placing bets thankfully) and Baptista is injured!! Malaga also have some other important absentees - Rondon (attacker 30app/14gl) Demechelis (def 18app/1gl) Malgueno (def 11app/0gl) and a serious doubt on Mtiliga (def 19app/0gl) I am sure that with all the attacking talent that will be missing, there has to be some value somewhere in the goalscorer markets. I just can't see it at the moment :\
Yeah did practically the exact same thing as you. Got excited about taking Malaga then realised that they were missing their key attacking players - Baptista and Rondon. My advice on the goal scoring markets is maybe to consider either last weeks scorer Recio or my personal favourite Duda. Well overdue a goal, dangerous from free kicks and my favourite stat of all, he scored in last years final game of the season, which was at home to Real Madrid 1-1. So maybe even worth a punt on correct score 1-1, FGS Duda. ;)

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May Hercules CF v Real Sporting de Gijon (19:00 BST) Real Sporting de Gijon..... .......Six took the mission from the second group, two or three will get the start, leaving many key hendecad other than Laura's, Baral! Not even traveled the defensive midfielder Egouren (30 / 1), who got a license before being incorporated into national Uruguay in Copa America, he also allowed the international with the hope of the average Portuguese East Castle (15 / 2), except the left stoppers Ib. Ernanteth (25 / 0), the leader fled D. Castle (28 / 9), the defensive midfielder Rivera (30 / 0), the midfielder Carmelo (18 / 0) and the Four Sangoy (19 / 2). Is punished midfielder De las Cuevas (37 / 6), the knockout was once Bilits (18 / 0), while long-term absence and Porter Kouegiar (13 / 0). Hercules CF @2.26

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May Real Sociedad v Getafe Big game between these two as one or the other could be relegated depending on results elsewhere. TEAM NEWS EDIT: Soon FORM Both teams come into this game with a form of W3 D0 L6 in the last 9 games. The key difference is Real Sociedad's home form, and Getafe's away form. Sociedad have a record at home W6 D1 L2. Getafe on the other hand have been atrocious away from home with a record of W0 D2 L7, losing the last 6 away games in a row. MY PICK I think the odds offered for a Real Sociedad win at 2.4 offered with William Hill is very nice and will be picking that with medium stakes. Another interesting pick for a more optimistic punt. Getafe have conceded at least 2 goals per game in their away defeats. In contrast Sociedad have scored at least 2 in their last 3 home wins. So with that in mind I will take Real Sociedad Over 1.5 Goals at 2.1 offered with bet365.

Sport Football (Spain)
Event Levante v Zaragoza
Selection Levante DNB
Strength 10/10
Date 21/05/2011
Bookmaker/Price Betsafe @ 4.55
Reasoning Around 8,000 tickets have been sold and I'm not talking about Levante fans. It's how many Zaragoza fans will attent this match, on the road, to support their team. A win and Zaragoza will play in La Liga for at least one more season while anything else will send them straight back to Segunda. As for Levante, they have already secured their presence in La Liga with a draw at Valencia last round, and on the paper at least, they don't have any stake for tonight. But the rumours are, Levante will get paid to not give it up. Other teams involved in this are suspected to have offered money to Levante to motivate them to get a result. Personally, I have my reasons to believe that Levante won't make any favours to Zaragoza even with no money at the stake. But if that's the case - it's even better for this bet. Being priced -0.75 on the road when you never got this spread the whole season - it does mean something. And I don't think struggling Zaragoza, who've been so poor so far, really deserve that. the motivation is on their side but there are several teams in that situation and not all of them will save up. Someone has to go down and Zaragoza has the best chance, in my opinion.

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May I think following the money may be the way to go in La Liga this evening. Using only markets that have over six figures matched, the sides who are stand out value bets are: Barcelona - 85% odds 2.1 Deportivo - 82% odds 1.66 Zaragoza - 90% odds 1.59 Sevilla - 70% odds 2.38 Sociedad come very close at 70% for a touch off six figures and odds of 2.44. The only other side attracting this level of support is Real Madrid - 98% of bets, which actually make the odds of 1.11 look like value :loon

I think following the money may be the way to go in La Liga this evening. Using only markets that have over six figures matched, the sides who are stand out value bets are: Barcelona - 85% odds 2.1 Deportivo - 82% odds 1.66 Zaragoza - 90% odds 1.59 Sevilla - 70% odds 2.38 Sociedad come very close at 70% for a touch off six figures and odds of 2.44. The only other side attracting this level of support is Real Madrid - 98% of bets, which actually make the odds of 1.11 look like value :loon
Depends how you look at it really, what you find safer; sticking a tenner on a Barca reserve side at Malaga, or a hundred on Madrid to beat Almeria. Know what I always prefer, but each to their own :)

Re: Spain - La Liga - 21 May Real Madrid v Almeria - (Wincast) Real Madrid and Ronaldo to Score @ 1.60 - Hills 10pts Ronaldo with 8 goals in his last 3 games to storm 7 goals clear of Messi in the goalscoring charts will look to increase his ego by reaching the 40 mark. Almeria are relegated and have nothing to lose but if Ronaldo scores then I would imagine RM win. Quite a decent sized bet on this.

Real Madrid v Almeria - (Wincast) Real Madrid and Ronaldo to Score @ 1.60 - Hills 10pts Ronaldo with 8 goals in his last 3 games to storm 7 goals clear of Messi in the goalscoring charts will look to increase his ego by reaching the 40 mark. Almeria are relegated and have nothing to lose but if Ronaldo scores then I would imagine RM win. Quite a decent sized bet on this.
Di Maria and Higuain left out of the squad, so hopefully Jose'll still start with a strong front four (I'm hoping Ozil, Kaka, Ronaldo, Benezema).

Depends how you look at it really, what you find safer; sticking a tenner on a Barca reserve side at Malaga, or a hundred on Madrid to beat Almeria. Know what I always prefer, but each to their own :)
Of course and, personally, I wouldn't touch a side at odds of 1.11 but what I was pointing out is that the only other side being backed in the way that the other four are is Real Madrid, who are, understandably short priced. If 98% of bets are coming in for Real and they are still (theoretically) value at 1.11 then the odds on the other four are incredible!

Malaga v Barcelona Barcelona @ 2.10 (William Hill) This price is huge! Malaga are now safe in mid-table and like Barcelona have nothing to play for. I expect a load of reserve/fringe players playing for both teams however I do expect Messi to make an appearance at some point as he normally does to up his goal tally for the season - Ronaldo is a few ahead of him now in the race for the Pichici trophy but it won't stop Messi trying and I can't see Guardiola stopping him. The fringe/reserve players know this is their last chance to impress before the end of the season as they wont be playing in the Champions League final. I think Malaga will give it a go, but Barca will want to go out in style and keep spirits up for the final following a recent run of 'poor' (for their standards) results. Can't be refused at this price!
WIN! 3-1 to Barcelona final result :nanaGot it at a good price too..it went down to 1.80 just before kick off with William Hill.

Real Madrid v Almeria - (Wincast) Real Madrid and Ronaldo to Score @ 1.60 - Hills 10pts Ronaldo with 8 goals in his last 3 games to storm 7 goals clear of Messi in the goalscoring charts will look to increase his ego by reaching the 40 mark. Almeria are relegated and have nothing to lose but if Ronaldo scores then I would imagine RM win. Quite a decent sized bet on this.
Ronaldo scored first and then the rest is history. :ok

I think following the money may be the way to go in La Liga this evening. Using only markets that have over six figures matched, the sides who are stand out value bets are: Barcelona - 85% odds 2.1 Deportivo - 82% odds 1.66 Zaragoza - 90% odds 1.59 Sevilla - 70% odds 2.38 Sociedad come very close at 70% for a touch off six figures and odds of 2.44. The only other side attracting this level of support is Real Madrid - 98% of bets, which actually make the odds of 1.11 look like value :loon
Barcelona - WIN Deportivo - LOSE Zaragoza - WIN Sevilla - WIN Was interesting to note the late Deportivo price drift and that they were the only team that didn't win.

I think the prices on Ronaldo to score are just horrible, I mean 1.25 with P Power - come on!! He has actually only scored in just over half of La Liga games this season. But of course with all the hype about the record, and despite him saying it is not that important, everyone knows the size of his ego. So a bet I did go with is each way on him to score first @3.4 with Bet366 (now cut to 3.1 but 3.25 still available with Hills). With 1/3 odds for a "place", this will pay 1.8. So nearly money back if he doesn't score first but scores later in the game. 1.5pts EW Ronaldo to score first @3.4 Bet366
Nice :dude