** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Place Bet

Hi everyone, I really do not understand how place betting works at all, despite researching it! Would someone please be able to give me an estimate on what I would win if my place bet came in today? I've put a five bound place bet at Newton Abbot: Leg 1 - Ramses De Marigincy to place (Currently 3/1) Leg 2 - Bid Art to place (Currently 4/1) Leg 3 - Advancement to place (Currently 11/2) Leg 4 - Thunder Child to place (Currently 5/1) Leg 5 - Glan Lady to place (Currently 2/1) Leg 6 - Brilliant to place (Currently 16/1) I've only done those selections and put £5 on. Thank you everyone

Re: Place Bet Are these individual place bets or is this a placepot?? Because you have put leg 1 leg2 leg3 etc. I am gonna assume this is a placepot. Should all your horses get placed today there is no set amount you will win, it is not dependant on price at all its a pool bet. Basically everyones stakes get put into a pot, the tote take there cut and the rest of the pool is divided up amongst the winners, the return is always worked out to a £1 stake so if the payout was £20 you would get £100 back because you have £5 stake. Returns can be anywhere from a couple quid to thousands just depending on how many winners there are!

Re: Place Bet

Placepot
No offence but if you have only put one selection in each leg, you will not get it up. To £5, you will get five times the winning dividend, so if the dividend pays £100 you will win £500. The dividend relies on how many winning tickets there are in the pool. Best way to win the placepot is to perm it and do it to a maximum of 20p a line.

Ah right' date=' cheers. Surely it is affected by the odds of the horse though? The higher the odds the more payout? I just don't understand how[/quote'] To get big payouts on the placepot, the favourites and 2 favourites need to be out of the frame, or in 3 or 4 horse races you need the outsider to win. For £6.40 you could do two horses in every race and try a few big outsiders, if you got it up to one unit 20p you would get a fifth of the dividend. To win the placepot with only one selection in each race is a 95% losing bet. Saying that best of luck with your bet, hope it comes in for you.

Ah right' date=' cheers. Surely it is affected by the odds of the horse though? The higher the odds the more payout? I just don't understand how[/quote'] That's because the higher the odds of the horses the less people will have selected them (usually), meaning your slice of the pot will be bigger if you win.

Ah right' date=' cheers. Surely it is affected by the odds of the horse though? The higher the odds the more payout? I just don't understand how[/quote'] The odds have no reflection on the payout only like others have said is perhaps if outsiders get placed less people are likely to have tickets on them its as simple as that. Sometimes there arent many tickets on favourites because people place the bet in the morning and go with the paper favourite but if a gamble is taken place people dont have that etc. its a fun little bet hard to make decent money from though in my opinion.

Hi everyone, I really do not understand how place betting works at all
All sound replies so far, but I think the best advice would be - if you don't understand something don't bet on it. Ask the questions beforehand, and only risk your money once you have a grasp of it