** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

'Favourites' at stupid odds

Nobody likes variance. Variance is what puts fear in your belly. You've back tested to the high heavens and found that season-long a profit is there, but, variance will make sure you have your down days, down weeks, down months, and that puts a dent in you, makes you doubt it all. How then, to tackle variance? Well, make bets with the lowest expected variance, of course! Which bets would those be? The bets on favourites. Of course, betting on what the book says is the favourite is a quick way to the poor house, but betting on overpriced favourites, according to your own calculations, can be profitable. So, I'll be posting selections here, all to be placed at level stakes, lets say a single unit, with odds from Betfair. I expect to see around a 50% strike rate, fingers crossed.:lol

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds Here's the picks for tomorrow. One point on each. Breda @ 3.25 Excelsior @ 3.75 Roda JC @ 2.48 Birmingham @ 2.22 Chievo @ 2.62 Beira-Mar @ 2.94 Nacional @ 3.5 Porto @ 1.65 Villarreal @ 1.83 Valencia @ 2.62 Eskisehirspor @ 2.76 :dude

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds The Results are in: Breda @ 3.25 LOSS: -1 Excelsior @ 3.75 WIN: + 2.6125 Roda JC @ 2.48 LOSS: -1 Birmingham @ 2.22 LOSS: -1 Chievo @ 2.62 WIN: +1.539 Beira-Mar @ 2.94 LOSS: -1 Nacional @ 3.5 WIN: +2.375 Porto @ 1.65 WIN: +0.6175 Villarreal @ 1.83 WIN: +0.7885 Valencia @ 2.62 LOSS: -1 Eskisehirspor @ 2.76 LOSS: -1 Strike Rate: 45.5% Profit: +1.3935 ROI: 12.7% Performed below expectations today, but can't really sniff at it. :\

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds: 11 bets, 23% ROI

Good start' date= V-Zero....... I would check your ROI..... 1.3935 units profit on 11 units stake = 12.7% ROI ;)
Indeed, why I divided by six I will never know. My mind was elsehwhere...

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds: 11 bets, 12.7% ROI

What is your definition of a "favourite" ? A football team at odds of 3.xx+ can hardly be called a favourite imo.
Any team I calculate to have a chance of winning of better than one in three. The odds do not always reflect the true favourite.

v-zero, sounds interesting. good luck. bet on asian handicap will increase your profit.
What grounding do you have for that? All of my testing suggests that handicaps reduce value.

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds: 11 bets, 12.7% ROI example Evian - Le mans : bookmaker : pinnacle ML --> 2.30 - 3.30 - 3.53 (payout = 97.89%) AH -0.25 --> 1.962 - 1.962 (payout = 98.06%) Expected return is better for asian. ER is higher on the minor league. so, if your testing suggests that AH reduce value... GL :)

example Evian - Le mans : bookmaker : pinnacle ML --> 2.30 - 3.30 - 3.53 (payout = 97.89%) AH -0.25 --> 1.962 - 1.962 (payout = 98.06%) Expected return is better for asian. ER is higher on the minor league. so, if your testing suggests that AH reduce value... GL :)
The overround of the bookmaker is not of importance to my system, but hedging, which is what asian bets do, generally reduces value.

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds: 11 bets, 12.7% ROI One from two tonight, and a very nice evening for me, with Norwich securing a premier league spot :loon Le Mans @ 3.8 LOSS: -1 Espanyol @ 2.7 WIN: +1.615 Strike Rate: 46.2% Profit: +2.01 ROI: 15.5%

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds: 13 bets, 15.5% ROI For anybody interested I have the Dallas Mavericks as having a 57% chance of taking the Lakers tonight in their first playoff game, and at odds of 3.6 they look pretty nice. Should at least cover the spread.

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds: 13 bets, 15.5% ROI

For anybody interested I have the Dallas Mavericks as having a 57% chance of taking the Lakers tonight in their first playoff game' date=' and at odds of 3.6 they look pretty nice. Should at least cover the spread.[/quote'] agreed. the odds seem a bit high for what dallas is capable of..

Re: 'Favourites' at stupid odds: 11 bets, 23% ROI

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_criterion You're calculating an edge when you're making these picks, flat betting isn't optimal. But agreed its easier. You're doing well so far, gl.
Flat betting is indeed not optimal. However, it is an easy way to see whether there is a true edge, which is important to those who haven't back tested like I have. I know there is an edge, a large one, but they cannot verify this themselves. The Kelly criterion is incredibly difficult to apply to simultaneous bets, involving multiples and all sorts of trickery.