** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40

kevshat

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 That right there is why I think Saeed Ajmal is up there with the best spinners in the world. I know he's not bowling to the best opposition here but he has effectively won the game for the Royals. Massive collapse from Derby, unlucky Kev.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40

keep grinding away at this competition Kev' date=' you'll hit a big return soon, I'm convinced! :ok[/quote'] Cheers matey. There's a big return just around the corner in one of the competitions. Massive collapse from Derbyshire tonight but no damage done as handicaps are voided when overs are lost. Another TV game tomorrow which comes from Old Trafford.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Was hoping to get online sooner so in a bit of a rush. 2 for today. 4pts Gloucestershire to beat Lancashire 7/4 Stan James Gloucestershire's high scoring defeat to Lancashire at Cheltenham on Sunday has probably put paid to their chances of progressing in this competition but to their credit they've named a strong squad tonight even though they still have Championship promotion in their sights. Lancashire need to win pretty much every match from here on in if they are to reach the semi finals but I don't really see that happening. Lancashire have a couple of other things to concentrate on not least their T20 quarter final on Monday night and although they have named a strong squad here I wouldn't be surprised if they rested a few tonight. Lancashire needed exceptional innings from Horton and Newby to get them home on Sunday but the slower conditions should help Gloucestershire a bit more here. Horton and Newby certainly don't put in those performances every week. We've already seen this week that with the pressure off sides can play more freely and upset the side who supposedly have to win. Northants should've beat Surrey and Worcestershire did beat Derbyshire when the pressure got too much for the home side. Gloucestershire have good one day traditions so they'll want to perform on a pretty big stage and I think they are decent value at 7/4 in this one with Lancashire eyes maybe drifting elsewhere. 1pt ew I.Cockbain Top Gloucestershire Batsman 7/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Ian Cockbain is a big price here. He's sort of come from nowhere this season. I saw him at The Oval in the T20 last month and wondered what his game was but in the last few weeks we've seen him really come of age. He's top scored in two of the last three and he placed on Sunday with an unbeaten 50 when he ran out of time but with a few more overs that could've been a top score too. Only Taylor and Alex Gidman have scored more runs for Gloucestershire in this competition this season but with Junaid Khan and Sajid Mahmood around at the top of the order it would be no surprise if one or both of those get a good one early tonight. Cockbain bats at 5 and is beginning to become an excellent finisher of innings and at 7/1 he looks a top each way bet tonight.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 +13.05 overall for this competition now. One match tonight which isn't on TV but one side look a bit too big. 3pts Glamorgan to beat Nottinghamshire 2/1 Totesport Nottinghamshire still have an outside chance of making it through to the semi finals but I think it's fair to say it will have to be as the best 2nd placed side in this group because Somerset look away and gone really. Glamorgan can't qualify but we've seen over the last week or so that it's not necessarily a bad thing because sides can play with a bit more freedom, certainly when they bat. It's the batting that makes me take on Nottinghamshire again here. Alex Hales is away with the England Lions and he's a huge part of their batting and Adam Voges has not disappeared back to Australia. He's been replaced by Darren Bravo who is a class act but I don't recall him batting in England too often in the past which would have to be a concern especially as he was only signed yesterday. Glamorgan will be without James Harris but if Nottinghamshire's batting continues as we've seen it all season he shouldn't be missed that much and the likes of Wagg, Cosker and Allenby are all good enough with the ball. In many ways this should be fairly high scoring, similar to Sunday's T20 quarter final but I can't take Notts in a high scoring game because their batting isn't long enough. At 2/1 there's enough in this price for me to take Glamorgan who have a relatively decent batting line up with Wagg coming in at 8 if he's not shoved up the order.

Sunday 14 August 2011 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Derbyshire v Yorkshire (13:45 BST) 1.76 2.37 98.92 %
maximize.gif Durham v Leicestershire (13:45 BST) 1.47 2.94 102.04 %
maximize.gif Glamorgan v Somerset (13:45 BST) 3.25 1.43 100.70 %
maximize.gif Kent v Netherlands (13:45 BST) 1.35 4 99.07 %
maximize.gif Lancashire v Essex (13:45 BST) 1.83 2.1 102.16 %
maximize.gif Scottish Saltires v Hampshire (13:45 BST) 4.33 1.32 98.83 %
maximize.gif Sussex v Worcestershire (13:45 BST) 1.4 3.5 100.00 %
maximize.gif Unicorns v Gloucestershire (13:45 BST) 4 1.33 100.00 %

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Glamorgan looked to have that match in the bag until Chris Read came in. Was well worth a go at 2/1 but the end result is I'm back to +10.05 going into today. 4pts Lancashire to beat Essex 4/5 Boylesports Lancashire are very much in with a chance of the domestic treble now after Durham's defeat in the Chammpionship in the week and their one day form in recent times has been exceptional and there's no reason why that won't continue at Old Trafford this afternoon. Essex come into this match having lost their last 2 CB40 matches and that could've been 3 had the rain not come in against Glamorgan. They will have no Ravi Bopara for this match and he's been in good touch for them in recent matches so they will need to replace him. Essex have been thoroughly disappointing in one day cricket this season and with Lancashire still treating this competition seriously I don't see Essex's season improving here. Lancashire for me in this match. 3pts Yorkshire to beat Derbyshire 11/8 Bet365 I'm going to take a chance with Yorkshire here even though they are without Jonny Bairstow and Joe Root who are playing for the England Lions. They have Gale, Rudolph and a back to form McGrath as well as the likes of Brophy, Rashid and even Shahzad who can bat as well. Derbyshire slumped to defeat against Worcestershire last time out having not really played all that well against Middlesex in the game before. Yorkshire are resting Ryan Sidebottom for this one but there's still enough in their bowling attack to succeed here. Yorkshire's batting isn't their strength but they face a bowling attack with no demons in it in this match so with a confidence boosting win over Middlesex behind them on Wednesday I'll take the White Rose county to make it back to back wins in this one.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 They both failed to defend decent totals so my bad run in this continues. Need some good nights this week starting tonight. 6pts Surrey to beat Northants 8/13 VC The focus of these two sides is completely different now. Surrey are fully concentrating on silverware in this competition while Northants focus lies solely with the Championship and that tells in their squad selection tonight which excludes Chaminda Vaas, Mal Loye, Stephen Peters and Jack Brooks. David Willey will open the batting alongside Alex Wakely. One of Niall O'Brien or Rob White will also miss out depending on whether O'Brien passes a fitness test. If he does White won't play, if he doesn't White will. Surrey are at full strength apart from Stuart Meaker who is away with the England Lions side but with Jade Dernbach available he may not have played anyway. Surrey have been almost unstoppable in this competition so far and I think they can beat Northants this evening.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 2 for the TV game as well. 3pts Nottinghamshire to beat Somerset 6/4 Bet365 These two sides sit first and second in the group table but with Nottinghamshire running out of matches this is a must win for them if they are to qualify for the semi finals. Somerset come into this match still in full control of a very tight group now but with games in hand they are in the box seat still in terms of winning the group. They lost to Glamorgan yesterday though in a match which Marcus Trescothick missed due to an ankle injury and he's only 50/50 tonight too. Murali Kartik is definitely out and he's a real big loss because Alfonso Thomas aside this Somerset bowling attack doesn't look all that strong in his absence. Craig Kieswetter is available and he'll open with Peter Trego if Trescothick doesn't play. Nottinghamshire will be without Alex Hales but Darren Bravo fitted in nicely and should enjoy this wicket. Notts' bowling is at full strength and with extra motivation to win this having lost to Somerset in the T20 quarter finals last week, I'll take the Outlaws to win this one. 1pt ew J.Buttler Top Somerset Batsman 13/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Nottinghamshire must be sick to death of Jos Buttler. He produced a devastating cameo to beat them in the T20 semi final between the two last year and then in the first CB40 meeting between the sides this year he walloped 94 off just 56 balls then last week with Nottinghamshire looking in control of the T20 quarter final Buttler came in and swiped 34 off just 14 balls so this is clearly a bowling attack he enjoys facing. His 13/2 quote is a decent price regardless but if Marcus Trescothick doesn't play here then his price becomes even bigger. Trescothick has scored a large proportion of Somerset's runs this season so without him someone else will need to step up. Evidence against Nottinghamshire suggests there's no reason it can't be Buttler so I'll take the youngster here.

2 for the TV game as well. 3pts Nottinghamshire to beat Somerset 6/4 Bet365 These two sides sit first and second in the group table but with Nottinghamshire running out of matches this is a must win for them if they are to qualify for the semi finals. Somerset come into this match still in full control of a very tight group now but with games in hand they are in the box seat still in terms of winning the group. They lost to Glamorgan yesterday though in a match which Marcus Trescothick missed due to an ankle injury and he's only 50/50 tonight too. Murali Kartik is definitely out and he's a real big loss because Alfonso Thomas aside this Somerset bowling attack doesn't look all that strong in his absence. Craig Kieswetter is available and he'll open with Peter Trego if Trescothick doesn't play. Nottinghamshire will be without Alex Hales but Darren Bravo fitted in nicely and should enjoy this wicket. Notts' bowling is at full strength and with extra motivation to win this having lost to Somerset in the T20 quarter finals last week, I'll take the Outlaws to win this one. 1pt ew J.Buttler Top Somerset Batsman 13/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Nottinghamshire must be sick to death of Jos Buttler. He produced a devastating cameo to beat them in the T20 semi final between the two last year and then in the first CB40 meeting between the sides this year he walloped 94 off just 56 balls then last week with Nottinghamshire looking in control of the T20 quarter final Buttler came in and swiped 34 off just 14 balls so this is clearly a bowling attack he enjoys facing. His 13/2 quote is a decent price regardless but if Marcus Trescothick doesn't play here then his price becomes even bigger. Trescothick has scored a large proportion of Somerset's runs this season so without him someone else will need to step up. Evidence against Nottinghamshire suggests there's no reason it can't be Buttler so I'll take the youngster here.
Coral have paid out on Jos Butler even though he shared the top score of 34 with Nick Compton who was not out. Is this correct or have Coral made a mistake?

Coral have paid out on Jos Butler even though he shared the top score of 34 with Nick Compton who was not out. Is this correct or have Coral made a mistake?
Should be a half stake on the win (Shared with Compton) and full stake on the each way, i think. Wouldn't make any difference if Compton was not out and Butler was. Great shout again Kev and the Surrey Bet :clap.... (Just wish I had been on :wall)

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Cheers mate. I said to someone on MSN when Read got out that he has it in for me but luckily the big man came up trumps in the final over. Ani, I think Coral pay out in full on ties. It's the second one I've had this summer although off the top of my head I can't think of the other one although it could've been in a T20 somewhere. Very much a lucky one that with the umps coming off as soon as Buttler got out with the chances being that had they played one more ball Compton would've gone past him. Nice to be on the right side of some luck for once though :).

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 That was the sort of night I was talking about :cigar. All 3 bets paid out as full winners so +15.99 for the evening and up to +19.04 overall now with two TV games left this week which hopefully I can do more damage on.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Another TV game tonight. Hoping for another good night. I'm going with 3. 4pts Kent to beat Middlesex 11/10 William Hill Kent come into this match with no chance of progressing to the semi finals but this is still an important match for them as they are playing a rare game under their newly installed floodlights and will be hoping for a bumper crowd because of it. One day cricket is very important to Kent so this also gives them a chance to get players used to plans again and because of that apart from Rob Key who is being rested after a busy schedule, Kent have named a strong squad. Middlesex will be without Steven Finn tonight after he was called up to the England squad and their one day bowling attack in his absence looks a bit shabby as Yorkshire proved last week. There isn't anything wrong with Middlesex's batting but the Kent bowling attack is pretty decent especially now that Darren Stevens is bowling regularly again. Stevens will be key with the bat and I think he along with the other big hitters they have will have too much for Middlesex this evening. 4pts Over 10.5 wides 5/6 William Hill We saw in the T20 quarter final a couple of weeks back that Kent have the ability to chuck down an insane amount of wides and that continued on Sunday when they launched 19 wides against the Netherlands. I'm sure Wahab Riaz was a major culprit and if his radar is wrong he could cover this total on his own tonight. He'll get help from the likes of Mahmood, Murtagh and the spinners too. Middlesex have a lot of left handers with some right handers sprinkled in so the Kent bowlers will be having to change their line an awful lot. This doesn't look an overly high total between two sides who aren't the best disciplined in the field and I would be surprised if it's not covered this evening. 1pt ew D.Stevens Top Kent Batsman 9/2 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Normally I don't take a batsman when the place prize wouldn't give me a full refund but Darren Stevens is so far clear of pretty much anything else in this Kent side in one day cricket it's untrue with the exception perhaps of van Jaarsveld although he's got the captaincy issues to worry about. Stevens comes into the match having top scored against the Dutch on Sunday with 70 off 67 balls. We saw in the T20 that he's in excellent nick with the bat and when he's in he can hit it a long way and score quite quickly which is something van Jaarsveld isn't the best at doing. Azhar Mahmood would be a danger too but those 3 are pretty well clear of anything else so the worst I expect Stevens to do is come 3rd tonight but with 2 top scores in the last 3 CB40 matches with a third in the other I'll take Stevens for another top score tonight.

Cheers mate. I said to someone on MSN when Read got out that he has it in for me but luckily the big man came up trumps in the final over. Ani, I think Coral pay out in full on ties. It's the second one I've had this summer although off the top of my head I can't think of the other one although it could've been in a T20 somewhere. Very much a lucky one that with the umps coming off as soon as Buttler got out with the chances being that had they played one more ball Compton would've gone past him. Nice to be on the right side of some luck for once though :).
I'm not being a late poster more of a hard luck story, I had Compton as my top batsman in that game, quite frustrated in the end, had they just played one more ball :P, I'll get it next time :hope ...

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Just two for me tonight. 3pts Warwickshire to beat Surrey 13/8 William Hill Warwickshire look a touch too big here. Surrey have been fantastic in the competition so far but they still look a batsman light to me and I can't ignore that in what I expect will be a high scoring match here. Warwickshire may lack a genuine batsman but good quality hitters in Carter, Woakes and Barker can make up for that. In saying that I have heard a rumour that Jon Trott could be playing tonight so that would solve those batting issues. Warwickshire have a bowling attack which is capable of getting stuck into the Surrey top order and if they keep them under control then this match will be a lot more even than these odds suggest. Warwickshire are the defending champions of this competition so their 40 over pedigree isn't in any doubt even if their recent form in the competition has been patchy but in front of a decent crowd under their new lights I think the Bears can go well and take this at a nice price. 1pt ew R.Clarke Top Warwickshire Batsman 6/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Rikki Clarke has finally begun to show us the talent which once had people talking about him as the next Andrew Flintoff. This is a competition he's going well in with two top scores in the last 3 matches he's played, one of which was against Surrey. The boundaries at Edgbaston aren't big enough to contain him and I still feel there's a point to prove for him having not fulfilled the talent he has to the full. Clarke has 3 50's in the competition so far and is Warwickshire's 3rd highest scorer in the competition this season so at 6/1 for someone who will bat at 5/6 I think he's a decent each way bet. We've had a couple of players top score from 5 and 7 this week so it's perfectly possible so I'll take Clarke with the ew terms here.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 That was disappointing. Warwickshire were crap, no complaints there despite having the better batting depth but Clarke appeared to be cruising to the top score before Piolet parked his arse at the non strikers end and didn't sacrifice himself. -2.8pts for the night so back to +29.38pts overall now. Disappointing night but decent week overall.

Sunday 21 August 2011 Home Away BPP
maximize.gif Glamorgan v Lancashire (13:00 BST) 2.2 1.81 100.70 %
maximize.gif Derbyshire v Middlesex (13:45 BST) 2.18 1.8 101.43 %
maximize.gif Essex v Gloucestershire (13:45 BST) 1.53 2.96 99.00 %
maximize.gif Leicestershire v Surrey (13:45 BST) 3 1.45 102.30 %
maximize.gif Northamptonshire v Durham (13:45 BST) 2.74 1.57 100.13 %
maximize.gif Somerset v Unicorns (13:45 BST) 1.12 8 101.39 %
maximize.gif Worcestershire v Netherlands (13:45 BST) 1.46 3 101.83 %
maximize.gif Yorkshire v Sussex (13:45 BST) 2.94 1.53 99.23 %

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 3 for me today. Will do them in 2 posts as the toss for the Glamorgan match is at 12.30. 3pts Glamorgan to beat Lancashire 6/5 Bet365 Lancashire have rested a few players this afternoon which is no surprise given that they are as good as out of this competition now but very much in the other two competitions and with finals day approaching fast in the T20 they want their main men such as Keedy, Cross and Maharoof fully rested. Glamorgan are out of this competition too but given that they are playing at an outground they'll want to put on a good display and as such have named a pretty strong squad which includes James Harris who is back with them after being on England Lions duty. They have a decent batting line up on them which should go well on a smaller ground than the Swalec and given that Lancashire's attentions are elsewhere Glamorgan could come in here at a more than acceptable price.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 4pts Middlesex to beat Derbyshire 4/5 Skybet Middlesex aren't completely out of this competition yet and as such they've named a very strong squad for this match which I'm sure wouldn't have been the case had they given up with the event given that they have a huge Championship match coming up this week. Steven Finn is in the squad and as we saw in midweek that makes a huge difference to this Panthers side. Slowly but surely Derbyshire have found the pace too much this season and they are beginning to fall away. There's never much in their bowling attack to worry about and that remains the case here. With the likes of Malan, Dalrymple and Rogers all in good form with the bat and Steven Finn bowling well I think Middlesex look good things this afternoon. 3pts Netherlands to beat Worcestershire 2/1 Bet365 The Netherlands have played some excellent cricket in this competition this season which is fair play to them considering they are without probably their two best batsmen in Ryan ten Doeschate and Alexei Kervezee in this event. Nevertheless they've still won 4 games and produced a tie against Derbyshire as well so there's no reason why they can't end their campaign with a win over Worcestershire who surely have their attentions in staying in the top flight of the Championship. Saeed Ajmal has left New Road now to join up with Pakistan and while Kemar Roach is a fair signing when he arrives the slower wickets at New Road shouldn't suit him as well as Saeed Ajmal. There's nothing in this Worcestershire attack for the Netherlands to be scared of and with a capable attack themselves they can hold Worcestershire to a score below what they make and at 2/1 they are well worth backing this afternoon.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 I can't get a defining week in the CC at the minute but I'm glad I can in this. All 3 bets won today so +12.8pts for the day pushing me up to +42.18 for the competition overall now with 5 matchdays left in the competition. Hopefully I can keep on building on that and finish the summer off with some real profit :hope.

I can't get a defining week in the CC at the minute but I'm glad I can in this. All 3 bets won today so +12.8pts for the day pushing me up to +42.18 for the competition overall now with 5 matchdays left in the competition. Hopefully I can keep on building on that and finish the summer off with some real profit :hope.
Terrific work Kev in this :clap:clap:clap

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Cheers matey. One TV game tonight. I'm hitting it with 3 bets. 4pts Kent to beat Sussex 13/8 William Hill This is a pretty insulting price on Kent I think. Granted they will be without Rob Key tonight and there's no Wahab Riaz too but the latter only slings down a multitude of wides anyway. This is still a strong Kent squad who come into the match having ended Middlesex's hopes of winning the group last week. Now they will be looking to put a spanner in the works of the group leaders and I think they have every chance. Sussex come into the match having just lost to Yorkshire and I see no reason why Kent are so big other than the fact that they don't need to win like Sussex do. Not needing to win never stopped Kent last week and Key who is injured aside they have named their strongest squad now that Riaz is unavailable so they are clearly targetting a strong end to their one day season and I think part of that can be with a win over Sussex this evening. 4pts Kent Most 6's 13/8 Bet365 Just in case there's any delays I've taken this bet with Bet365 who gives us a bit of leeway with regards to a shortened game. I think Kent are a fantastic price here. In Darren Stevens and Azhar Mahmood they have two of the biggest hitters in county cricket and then the likes of Martin van Jaarsveld, Joe Denly and a couple down the bottom like Tredwell and Ball can all clear the ropes for the Spitfires. Sussex aren't massive 6 hitters. Ed Joyce is their bat through man and he's not a natural 6 hitter and you wouldn't say Yardy or Goodwin are either. There's no Luke Wright this evening or Matt Prior and Rana Naved has left so there's 3 genuine 6 hitters out of the equation and with that in mind I think it's well worth chancing Kent on the 6's battle. 1pt ew B.Brown Top Sussex Batsman 8/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Last time we saw Ben Brown on our screens he scored a rapid fire 50 against Yorkshire having scored a couple of tasty knocks in the T20 just before it. It's credit to him that he's been in the side even with Andrew Hodd available and he looks to have promoted himself to first choice when Prior is absent. He gives the ball a fearful crack and he can play the finishing role to an innings or the rebuilding nudging and nurdling role. He scored a ton in the Championship at Scarborough last week when Sussex were in a bit of trouble so we know he's in decent nick and 8/1 looks a bit big in a batting line up which I always feel is one real genuine batsman light.

Re: Cricket: Clydesdale Bank 40 Small 0.5pts profit last night so up to +42.68 overall now. 3 for tonight's TV match. 4pts Somerset (-3.5wickets/20.5runs) to beat Gloucestershire 5/6 Sportingbet Group C has really tightened up at the top after Somerset's defeat by Nottinghamshire last week but the Cider boys know that if they win their remaining two matches they will be into the semi finals and that gives them an even bigger incentive to win this game than they normally would have in this derby. Gloucestershire can't qualify from this group now but they would love nothing more than to dent their local rivals chances. I don't see them being strong enough to do that though, not on a seamers wicket. The likes of Steve Kirby and Alfonso Thomas should be too much for Gloucestershire's batsmen and Somerset's batting line up is always going to be tough for the young Gladiators bowling attack. Somerset will be without Craig Kieswetter but their batting is more than good enough to put up decent runs in his absence and with spinners not really faring too well at Nevil Road the absence of Murali Kartik won't be felt as much as it could have been. I think Somerset will win this and win it pretty comfortably. 5pts Somerset Highest 1st 15 Overs 8/11 Totesport I really like Somerset here. Trescothick scores so quickly once he gets going and Peter Trego swings from the hips without a care in the world. If he gets going Somerset will be well out of sight after 15 overs against a bowling attack which is all a bit samey until the spinners come into play but even then I expect them to go too. If either Tres or Trego falls early the chances are someone like Maschede will be shoved up to pinch hit so Somerset will be going hard up top. Gloucestershire have some capable batsmen at the top of their innings but Alfonso Thomas is never easy to get away at the best of times while Kirby and Gregory will be good back up to him in the powerplays. Somerset's approach to the powerplays is so positive that I can't see them being behind after 15 overs. 1pt ew J.Buttler Top Somerset Batsman 6/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Young Jos Buttler did the business for us against Nottinghamshire last week and there's no reason why he can't go in again tonight. With Craig Kieswetter absent there's every chance he will bat at number 5 this evening which is a perfect position for him to top score from as he'll have a few overs to get in before hitting the turbo button. Admittedly this is a strong Somerset line up but Buttler is one of the best young hitters in the county game and at 6/1 he remains a very good each way bet this evening.