** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

NRL Round 1

Lahrio

The season is finally here! :loon A couple games tonight. 10pts South Sydney -3.5 PYOL @ 2.55 (Sportsbet) I am not convinced about the Roosters without Todd Carney. They really did ride to the GF last year on the back of his performances late in the year, after finishing only a few places higher than the Rabbits in the regular season. South Sydney have obviously got Inglis in the centres now, which bolsters the Souths back line to compete with the likes of Kenny-Dowall, and the halves pairings are fairly even in my opinion. Souths should be able to dominate the forwards, which is why I have gone on the side of Souths tonight. I really think the Roosters will miss Carney for the first couple of months until he gets back from injury. 10pts North Queensland +5.5pts @ 2.00 (Sportsbet) These Queensland derbies have traditionally gone in favour of Brisbane, with the Cowboys only winning 4 of them in their history, but when you take a deeper look you will find the strength of this Brisbane side has been dropping in recent years. After missing the Top 8 last year, and losing their coach only weeks before the season gets underway, I am not sure if the Broncos will be the powerhouse they have been in the upcoming season. Hodges and Hannant are two experienced heads who the Broncos will be missing, and to add to that they have lost Falou at the end of last year. This leaves a back line lacking in experience in comparison to the Bowens and Tongas that will be lining up against them. I expect a close game and will be taking NQ with the 5 and a half point start. Best of luck, and most of all lets enjoy the footy again! :ok

Re: NRL Round 1 So excited bout the new season aye... I agree with you on the bunnies pick... I'm leaning towards the Bunnies 1-12 @ $3.65 for abit of value... I reckon they win by 8... I see your a raiders supporter... I think they'll do well this year... I've had a small stake on em to win the comp... Good Luck with ya season champ... :D :D :D :D :D

Re: NRL Round 1 Going the other way. :\ Roosters -3.5 @ 2.05 centrebet Rabbitohs are too inconsistent for my liking as they showed in their preseason form that they are not ready yet, especially players like Inglis who look overweight. Forward battle sould be great as both sets of packs have some good players, but like the Roosters halves, with Pearce much stronger this year and any they do not lose much with Anasta coming in for Carney. Not too confident in Sandow and Sutton are good enough to match it with them as they tend to play every now and again, not as regularly as expcted to. Brisbane -6.5 @ 2.00 centrebet Like Brocnos to start well and especially with a refreshed Lockyer, like their young players, with a year under their belt, to play even better this year. The Cowboys look light and they have failed to do much over the last few years. The Broncos have beaten the Cowboys in their last 7 matches, with the Brisbane winning 4 of the last 6 game at home.

Re: NRL Round 1 It will mean one of us should make some money tonight Blackcrow. :ok I have a small wager on them as well Boydy5. :D It's been a while since Raiders have been competitive throughout the whole season so hopefully this is our season. :hope

Re: NRL Round 1 I'm also on the Rabbits. They've signed well and I expect them to go very close this season. Roosters aren't a bad team and if they'd been @ 2.2 instead of Souths I'd have been on them instead. Expect a tight game.

Re: NRL Round 1 Warriors-Parramatta Over 42.5 points @ $2.00 - Like the overs here, Warriors have alot of points in them and Parramatta have a tendency to just try and outscore their opponents rather then actually defend, although that culture may change with the introduction of kearney we shall see, still like alot of points in this one. Dragons -6.5 @ 2.00 - Fancy the Dragons to grind out a win, with the loss of Rogers for the Titans alot more pressure will be put on the shoulders of Prince, until they find a settled halves combination i think they will struggle, can't see them getting past the grinders. Manly @ $2.45 - I think Manly have the better team on paper and deserve to be at least even money, the Storm will be fired up to be accuring points again but they have had to let go of alot of experienced players last season and i think it will take them a few weeks to find their feet. Good luck all :)

Re: NRL Round 1 NZ Warriors 13+ @ 2.40 (Sportsbet) I really don't rate the Eels this season. Any chance they have of winning is down to a freak game by Jarryd Hayne. The Warriors on the other hand look better in almost every position. It's tough to do well in NZ, especially with inexperienced halves like the Eels have got this year. Melbourne Storm -6.0pts @ 2.10 (Sportsbet) So the Storm have lost a few players over the past year, but they are far from down and out. Any team with Slater, Cronk and Smith in it is still a quality team, and their young players definitely have the ability to step up to First Grade level. The Eagles had a poor end to last season, and while Stewart comes back in at fullback, I am not sure if they will be able to overcome this Melbourne side. St.George 1-12 @ 3.05 (Sportsbet) Games between these two sides have been close over recent years, with the ledger sitting at 2-2. However, the Titans worry me without Laffranci, Rogers and Minichello a chance of missing out as well. With the game being played at Skilled Park, I feel the Titans will keep up but will be pipped by the traditional fast start that Wayne Bennett coached teams seem to have. Best of Luck everyone. :ok

Re: NRL Round 1 I don't think we'll see the sought of 'throw the ball around' style the eels have been known for over the last couple of years. Kearney gained his coaching badges under the likes of Bellamy and Bennett and judging from the eels trial games, has instilled a similar philosophy to these coaches in his team. Taking out the first trial game loss to the Warriors 24-4, which was largely a makeshift side, the eels went on to record impressive trial wins 30-10 against the Tigers and 30-0 at CUA stadium against the Panthers. Accepted they are only trial wins, but needless to say wins against highly talented teams while restricting scoring at the same time. A lot of the eels players have been saying that they've hated preseason because they've been worked so hard by Kearney. This to me is an integral part of what makes teams coached by Bellamy and Bennett such a success - always extremely fit and organized - and clearly Kearney has done the same. With the weather in Auckland being hot and humid, I'm expecting a low scoring tight encounter, with possibly a slight advantage to the eels here as I feel like they may be the fitter side. Eels + 7.5 pts looks a really good play to me and am considering maybe playing the under 42.5 pts as well. Noticed on the tab website that it has already been hit pretty hard. Good luck everyone on the game.

Re: NRL Round 1 Roosters -3.5 @ 2.05 :D Brisbane -6.5 @ 2.00 :( Like Parra +7.5 in the early game. Dragons -6.5 @ 2.00 centrebet Thought the Dragons were pretty impresive in beating the Rabbitohs a few weeks ago in a competitive hit out, so they like to use this, and the fact that they are coming of a premiership winning season, this season should see them kick off with these talented players much more familiar with each other. The Titans are without Rogers, as well as Minichiello, Meyers and Friend from last year's side, so they will find it difficult to match it with this top side Sea Eagles +4.5 @ 1.92 centrebet Storm have too many players from last year's side as they look to shed their players who put them over the salary cap. With new players comnig in, it will take time for them to gel and adjust, and with Manly pretty much at full strength except for Matai, they have a large core of players who have been around for a long time. Like them to do enough to edge this, but will take a try as insure

Re: NRL Round 1 Parra +7.5pts and under 42.5 hit...just! Parra looked quite good, although were gifted alot of points on the back of poor mistakes by the Warriors - Vatuvei and the dropsies mk II. Warriors way off being potential contenders for the league this year.

Re: NRL Round 1

NZ Warriors 13+ @ 2.40 (Sportsbet) :( Melbourne Storm -6.0pts @ 2.10 (Sportsbet) :clap St.George 1-12 @ 3.05 (Sportsbet) :clap
2/3 coming in tonight. Got a bit lucky with the Titans try at the end though. :clap

Re: NRL Round 1 Raiders -7.5 @ 1.99 centrebet Neither side has been in good trial form, but they do both possess a good pack of forwards, but Canberra do have the home field advantage where they do tend to play very well, and in Dugan, they have a player who just gets better and better with every game. While the Sharks will not be the easybeats of this season, it is a tough ask for them to get over the Raiders first up, so take the Raiders here Panthers -5.5 @ 2.16 centrebet Newcastle have been strengthened this year with some more power in the forwards but the Panthers still out-match them. Think that the Knights are still light in some places, and a tough trip out west to start the season is not ideal for them. Panthers have been poor in their trials but coach Elliott will rev them up for this opening game

Re: NRL Round 1

How do you guys feel about West Tigers v Bulldogs? Im leaning Bulldogs 1-12
I like the Tigers here, i'm a Dogs supporter and i think we will need a few weeks to Gel with a couple of new halves and new personnel around the park, where as the Tigers are a tight unit they were 1 point off a grand final last year and will be keen to get off to a good start, the Tigers have fast become one of the most consistent teams in the competition so i won't subscribe to the slow starters tag here. I'm going Tigers -2.5 @ 1.90

Re: NRL Round 1 I like the Tigers but not sure if I'll take them. Dogs halves leave me unconvinced and Barba at fullback raises defensive concerns. Tigers steady at 6,7 and 9 with lots of flair should give them the edge over a strong Dogs pack. Like Tigers 1-12, mostly because 4 rarely becomes 6 when the Tiges are playing.

Re: NRL Round 1 Bulldogs -3.5 @ 2.85 centrebet Bulldogs preseason trial form was ok, but the Tigers were ordinary, and with the off field dramas around Marshall, question marks if he has put that behind him. In saying that the teams are pretty even, but have this feeling that the dogs are ready to start off well in the opener