Announcements
*** Punchestown Festival Competition: Well done to 1st. Craig Bluenose, 2nd. Lee Grays & 3rd. Carole Dawney ***
** May Poker League Result : 1st McG, 2nd muttley, 3rd GirlyWirly **
** Football Tipster Competition Result : 1st CertiF, 2nd PercyP, 3rd adamross, 4th Joelavfc, 5th Chris P **
** May Naps Competition Result: 1st Internetmails, 2nd Rug, 3rd Rolandcooper, 4th Adamross. KO Cup Winner: Xtc12, Most Winners: Mickyftm32 **

Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers

These began on Saturday and continue through until the start of next week. As with the tournament itself all matches are the best of 19 frames and played over two sessions. Some decent prices have been found in the qualifying this season and with the recent cut off in the rankings I would imagine there will be a few this week too.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers One for me this afternoon. 3pts S.Pettman to beat B.Woollaston 5/4 Skybet Stuart Pettman is in pretty rotten form at the minute, winning just one of his last 9 competitive matches and I understand he's to take time out of the game at the end of this season but I think he can go out with a last hurrah here. Ben Woollaston laboured to a win over Jamie O'Neill last night eventually beating him 10-8. He begun the match with a 92 and a 67 but then for the next 16 frames his highest break was just 55 which highlights how much of a struggle it was for Woollaston. Although Pettman isn't in great form, Woollaston isn't a great deal better formwise. Pettman's slipped down to this level but when he's on it he's a good deal better than this level and as long as motivation isn't an issue, and I don't see it being for the world championship potentially for one last time, this I would expect Pettman to have enough about him to win a match of this length.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers I'm at work and haven't had time to check rules and regs e.t.c, if this isn't allowed I'm sure Kev or somedody will remove the link.... But I think it could be a valuable tool, especially for un-televised qualifiers... For anyone using Twitter... I stumbled across somebody who posts live updates on snooker from the venue... quite good 'commentary' on how players are playing, breaks being made even down to their head-shaking and reactions... could be of use anyway... it looks like he writes a blog aswell... I have no affiliation or even know the fella.... but like I say... could help... he is @ProSnookerBlog GL

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Nice start for Pettman, Kev. Hope he finishes it off tomorrow:hope. Missed out on one today so will just have to go for the other 2 I fancy, kicking off tomorrow morning at 10am. P.Wallace to beat R.Lawler, 3pts @ 5/4 Betfred If you're expecting this one to reach a speedy conclusion, then think again. 2 of the slowest players on tour but an intriguing clash all the same. Rod Lawler is some decent form at present, winning 6 of his 9 matches in 2011. However, I do feel he's vulnerable in this longer format against Pat Wallace who excels over the 2 session matches. He reached the televised stages of the last 2 session event, the UK, where he lost 9-5 to Shaun Murphy. During qualifying, he had 3 9-4 wins and a 9-1, never under pressure in any of those. He's taken that form into this too, winning his opening qualifier easily, 10-2. To be fair, that was expected but his scoring wasn't; 3 tons and 5 more over 40 is top scoring and, if he can reproduce that, he's a cracking odds against bet against the favourite, Rod Lawler. D.Gilbert to beat B.Pinches, 3pts @ 6/5 Bet365 I like Gilbert here. He's 3-0 to the good against Pinches and therefore I find it surprising he's odds against to make it 4. In decent nick at present, with his best run being at the 2 session, longer format UK where he got to the final qualifying round before succumbing to 'all you can eat buffet' favourite, Stephen Lee. Amongst that run of 3 victories was a comfortable 9-4 victory against todays opponent, Barry Pinches. Gilbert looked in ok nick in his opening match, beating Morris 10-8 after being 8-6 down. Pinches, meanwhile, is on a bit of a slide in the rankings with his form dipping quite badly. Was brilliant in the PTC events, but his ranking form since has been awful. Lost his first game in the UK, German Masters, Shootout and Welsh Open, whilst a 5-3 win over Liam Highfield was needed to halt that win. However, it didn't last long with Rory Mc beating him 5-2 in the next round. Recent form and H2H record all point again to the outsider so I'm a Gilbert fan in this.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Cheers mate. Winning those last 4 frames was massive. Hopefully he sees the job through tomorrow. I'm taking 2 as well. 3pts P.Wallace to beat R.Lawler 5/4 Stan James I'm with Russ here. Wallace is a massive price especially when you throw in his scoring power recently. Not only did he hit 3 tons and a couple of 50's in his opening match but he also made it to the UK Championship which is the other long match tournament. In his first round match there he lost to Murphy but scored heavily so he's found a burst of scoring recently which could be the difference here. Lawler and Wallace are evenly matched. Both will bore the pants off a nun but with Wallace's extra scoring power which Lawler definitely doesn't have he could well win this. Either way we won't be paid out until the day before the tournament starts for real which will be when these two get through 19 frames :lol. 4pts X.Guodong to beat J.Robertson 3/4 Sportingbet Xiao Guodong came through a belting match with Kurt Maflin in the opening round. That match had 4 centuries in it and a few other big breaks too so to come through that, against an opponent who qualified for China the week before and hit 4 centuries in the process. There's no way that Jimmy Robertson is going to play as well as that here. Not unless he gets his brother Neil in for him anyway :lol. Xiao is a good up and coming talent and having come through the belter he won in the opening round I very much see him beating an out of form Robertson in this second round.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Jack Lisowski and Kuldesh Johal started their 2nd session 4.5hrs after Lawler and Wallace kicked off. Lisowski and Johal played 8 frames and it still finished ahead of the Lawler vs Wallace 1st session :rollin. 15 minutes away from Lawler and Wallace passing 7hrs for their opening 9 frames. With it going to be 5-4 either way they are in for a very very long night :lol.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers

Lawler and Wallace passing 7hrs for their opening 9 frames. With it going to be 5-4 either way they are in for a very very long night :lol.
5-4 Wallace. 2 hours break and then another 7 hour session:eek:eek:eek

5-4 Wallace. 2 hours break and then another 7 hour session:eek:eek:eek
7hrs? They've got 10 to play tonight mate not 9 :lol. Great shout with Gilbert so far mate. Hopefully we're collecting on 3 winners tonight to go with Pettman who won 10-5 this afternoon :hope

Nice start with both winning comfortably. Puts me at +7.35pts. Good winner on Pettman too Kev, as well as Wallace:clap
Missed out myself, gonna have to rise earlier to catch these juicy worms!! Great stuff Russ & Kev, unlucky with Guadong.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers +3.50 so far. One for the morning. 4pts J.Burnett to beat L.Wenbo 7/5 Sportingbet I like Burnett at this price. I mentioned when I took Wenbo on at the Welsh Open qualifying against Dave Harold that he's having a shocking season. He lost that match and things haven't really improved for him. Since then he's lost to Nigel Bond in the China Open qualifying. He did run up a bit of good form at the Championship League last week but the amount of times that form stands up in the proper events seems to be very little. Burnett beat a dangerous James Wattana in the previous round and knocked in a couple of tons along the way as well as a host of 50+ breaks. Burnett has made tournaments regularly this season despite the fact he has to play 2 rounds of qualifying at the minute. When he's got to these tournaments he's generally done ok. Runner up in Shanghai at the start of the season pisses all over any form line Wenbo has this season or even last season and so at odds against I'll take the Scot here and hope he's not been attracted by Liang's price before the match begins :lol.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Quite like Burnett too Kev but, as you say, worried about how much Corals have restricted him to:lol. I'm taking 2 for the morning. R.McLeod to beat M.Davis, 3pts @ 5/4 SportingBet Quite simply for me, Rory is the one to back without the cameras but the one to avoid with the cameras. Makes the venue more often than not but then folds when the bright lights are on him. The sort of player that will grind you into the ground and that won't suit Mark Davis here. Beat Wilson & Wenbo to reach the venue of the only other long format tournament, the UK, but proved my theory when getting stuffed 9-1 by Neil Robertson. By all accounts, he looked in decent fettle earlier this week when easing past Kyren Wilson 10-3, with 7 40+ breaks. What impresses me about McLeod is that he always seems to win the tight frames but is capable of knocking in a few decent breaks too. A player like that is hard to break down. Davis, meanwhile, is a player that has disappointed me as I expected bigger things from him. Reached the final stages of the first 3 ranking events but has made just 1 of the last 3. That form isn't the best and there's no way I'd make Rory an odds against chance so I'm happy to get on at a best priced 5/4. R.Milkins to beat M.Gould, 3pts @ 6/5 SportingBet This one will not last long, 2 of the quickest players around so we should see big breaks and open play aplenty. Generally, that means it will go with the one who's most at comfort with his game and, to me, that's Rob Milkins. Since that PTC's, he's reached 2 venues beating the likes of Mark Davis & Andrew Higginson along the way, missing out on 2 (no shame in losing to Matthew Stevens in 1 of those) and, most impressively, reached the final of the Shootout beating Ford, Day, Trump, Ronnie & todays opponent, Gould, along the way. Add to that a very comfortable 10-4 opening qualifying win against Jogia where he was never extended, winning 6 of the last 7 frames. In that same period, Gould has figures of 2 wins / 4 losses and an opponent of Milkins quality is no help to improve that. He's edged past Wattana 9-8 and beat Dunn 5-2 (neither of those are results to write home about) but has been beat by all the better players; Dott, Swail, Lisowski & Milkins himself. Not sure what the thoughts of the Crucible will do to Gould either. Remember his match against Robbo last year! No surprise if that plays on his mind too and, if it does, I can see Rob Milkins taking this comfortably.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Good start for Rory mate. One more for me this afternoon. 4pts J.Trump (-2.5 frames) to beat D.Gilbert 5/6 Skybet David Gilbert has shown the form he has in his locker so far this week but he steps up in class here I think. Gilbert has beaten seasoned pro's in Barry Pinches and Peter Lines but I don't think he'll beat Trump. The fact Gilbert has played three qualifying matches already this week shows the level his game is generally residing at right now. Trump is one of the better players in the qualifying tournaments now and whereas he used to be unreliable he's making tournaments a lot more consistently now. I can't believe he's not been to the Crucible since 2007 and that is a concern but in the three years he's lost in the qualifiers he's lost a deciding frame to Joe Swail, 10-8 to Stephen Lee and then walked into a Tom Ford who was potting them off the lampshades last year. He hasn't got an opponent as strong as any of those three here so I'll take the Bristol hotshot to win this and win it no worse than 10-7.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Aye, Rory's going well as is Burnett but Milkins has thrown at least 3 of the first 5 against Gould. Cheering Judd & Jamie on for you, as are Corals;). One more for me, and only the handicaps look any good this afternoon. M.Stevens (-2.5 frames) to beat F.O'Brien, 4pts @ 5/6 Skybet Seeking his first Crucible visit in 3 years, I'm all over the Welshman, Stevens, to secure his place here. Has been playing some real decent stuff this term and his class should be way too much for Fergal here. Since the PTC's finished, he's reached every venue but has been unlucky with the draw, losing in the last 32 to Ding twice & quarters to Higgins (after beating Smurf & Day). Has a slightly easier match coming up at the China Open versus Stephen Hendry though. In all his qualifiers, he's been pretty comfortable with a 9-5, 5-3, 4-2 & 5-1. Fergal's not been in great form although came through 10-4 vs Davison in the last round after starting poorly. Since the PTC's, he's been rubbish beating only Couch and Jamie Jones, 2 players nowhere near as good as his opponent today. His other 4 matches have seen heavy defeats, losing by 6 to Pinches in a best of 17, a 4-0 whitewash at the hands of Lisowski and a couple of 5-2's. A continuation of this form for both players will render this bet a good one and, at a shade of odds on, I'll take Stevens to win 10-7 or better.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers A bit more profit tonight with McLeod winning comfortably but Milkins letting the side down. Up to +8.10pts now. Great call on Burnett, Kev, and Trump looking good too at 6-3 up:clap

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers 2.30 mate. Cheers Russ. Good shout with Rory and Stevens looking good too. +9.10 for me overall and I'm taking one more alongside Trump. 3pts D.Harold to beat G.Greene 11/10 Blue Square I don't think there's too much between these two players overall but I do think Harold should be the favourite here. He's had a consistent season without doing anything spectacularly out of the ordinary. Greene's qualified for the last two events but I don't think there's a lot that can be read into it. Harold has scored consistently throughout the season and that's good for the Stoke man because his tactical game will always keep him in matches. He's a solid all round match player who is tough to beat at any time. Even though he's made the last two tournaments I don't believe Gerard Greene is on top of his game and if he isn't on top form in this match then I would expect Harold to win and book a place at the Crucible.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Deliberated over this bet overnight and it's not something I'd normally do but going with a double. Not going mad on stakes and I haven't just thrown in 2 very short ones, I hope this doesn't come back to bite me on the arse. B.Hawkins to beat A.Hamilton, 4/6 Skybet K.Doherty to beat J.Robertson, 4/11 Skybet 3pts double Paying a shade over 5/4, I'm happy to take these 2 today. First up, and in theory the risky one of the 2, is Barry Hawkins. Whilst over a shorter format, this would be a 'pick em', I strongly fancy the chances of Barry over the Sheriff over a best of 19. Hamilton seems to struggle over this longer format and was disposed easily in his only qualifying match for this over the last 2 seasons, to Walden & Ford. Did come through against a talented Michael White 10-7 in the last round but this is a step up and he'll have to up his game to take Hawkins out here. In his other long format match this term, Rod Lawler beat him 9-3 in the UK. Hawkins meanwhile is a frustrating character but seems to do better the longer he plays. Has made 3 of the last 4 venues too including the UK where he took out Fergal O'Brien 9-3. Has made the Crucible in the last 5 seasons and I'll take him to extend that run today. In the other match, I'll take former champ and old timer Ken Doherty to have too much know how for young pretender Jimmy Robertson. Jimmy has come through 2 matches by the narrowest of margins, beating Xiao Guodong and Tony Drago but won't find it anywhere near as easy against Ken whose tactical know how will surely be too much. Facing qualification last year, Ken won 2 matches for the loss of just 4 frames and also made the venue at the UK this year. Long matches are no problem to the Irishman. Robbo, meanwhile, is a decent player but this is a completely different class and the price on Ken is actually a bit generous, even at 4/11, so I'll throw this in to the double.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Unlucky with Ken there Russ. Losing 7 on the bounce is pretty sick :puke. Wouldn't mind a stewards there to check it was Jimmy who came out in the 2nd half and not Neil :lol. Harold kept me waiting but he eventually won and Trump covered the handicap with no major problems. +15.74pts for me overall. Got these qualifying gigs covered it seems, I just need to transfer that to the events itself starting with Dublin on Wednesday :nana.

Re: Snooker: World Championship Qualifiers Superb performance Kev, can't argue with that sort of profit:clap:clap Profit for me, but only just after Ken & Matt Stevens let the side down. Old buggers:lol. +1.10pts but better than a minus number.