** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 28 February - 6 March

Slightly different this week compared to the last three. No main ATP tour event and Davis Cup makes a return ... WTA - Monterrey (international event - outdoor hard) - Kuala Lumpur (international event - outdoor hard) ATP Challenger Tour - Cherbourg (indoor hard, greenset) - Dallas (indoor hard) - Salinas (red clay) Davis Cup - Full programme from 4-6 March All the best :ok

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March

Sport Tennis
Event Del Potro vs. Mardy Fish
Selection Del Potro (-3) GH (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 27/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.98
Reasoning Well, here comes the semi-final of this tournament between two interesting players, bot with a different style of playing. Del Potro is the player who attacks as much as possible, he goes for the winners every time he has the chance while Mardy Fish is the player who is playing rather a deffensive style and try to keep the ball in play for to pressure his opponent to unforced errors. Well, when you're not at your best you can always have big problems against a layer like Mardy Fish, but speaking certain about our situation and here I mean about De Potro's form, well here I will say that Del Potro is at his best at the moment, he has improved by every single game that he has played and now his form looks clear very good. Del Potro is the better player than Mardy Fish without any doubts as the american player can't cope with Del Potro's attack Fish's defence is just not good enough. All in all, Del Potro should be all in control in this game as he possess all the qualities to dominate the points against a defender like Mardy Fish. Good Luck!

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Davis Cup is so ridiculous. 1st round is in a week or so with the final being played at the end of the year. Just doesn't make any sense to me really. Feel it should be done like a proper tournament with it lasting over a few weeks. Early thoughts are leaning towards Serbia due to current players form and their draw but due to the time break in between matches, really hard to call.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March He himself said he could barely move, and I'm pretty sure he decided to play mainly because Stepanek is out through illness. Seems like sour grapes because of his withdrawal, but sometimes you simply try to continue and you just feel you can't - well, there is over one week between his Djoko match and the DC, which is enough to recover, imo;)

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March I would agree that he could barely move, but usually this is called fitness problem, not an injury. I watched this match and he was perfectly OK in the decider to win 2 games ,and resigned only after he was broken to 2-4. You don't win 2 games against Djoker with unbearable pain in your thigh. I would not comment if he withdrew before the decider started, but this has been just too obvious.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March First bit of tennis action this week involving the women over in Mexico. Taken 3, one of which is tomorrow. Laura Pous Tio vs Anastasija Sevastova- Sevastova -4.5 handicap- 5/6 Bet365- (6/10) Fancy Sevastova to have a decent week or so over in Mexico. She made the semis last year and I don't see why she can't repeat this form looking at her potential draw. She hasn't played a great deal of tennis this year but when she has played, she's looked in decent shape and beaten some handy opponents. She beat Wickmayer at the AO which was a really good result for Latvian and the only players she's lost to this year are Wozniacki, Kanepi and Radwanska, all opponents who are on a completely different level to Pous-Tio who she faces today. The Spaniard is pretty decent on clay but on the hard courts it's a different story. She doesn't play much on the hard surfaces, mainly just clay but she has won her qualifiers in Mexico, all be it against lesser opponents to make the main draw. This wil be a massive test for the Spaniard who I'm not sure will be able to keep up with Sevastova. They've played once before which was actually on Pous-Tio's favoured clay but Sevastova won that in two comfortable sets, covering the handicap. This time it's on the hard surface and Sevastova should win this without too much trouble. Jelena Jankovic vs Lourdes Dominguez Lino- Under 18.5 games- 5/6 Bet365- (6/10) Pretty generous offer here on Jankovic to win this one in comfortable straight sets. She looks to be back to somewhere around her best recently, giving a couple of good weeks in Dubai and Doha, only losing to Wozniacki and Zvonareva. She looks be back to the Jankovic of the past and in truth she should take this one without too much worry. Lino is another player who plays her best tennis on the clay and on the hard courts against good quality opponents she doesn't really have the game to trouble players like Jankovic. She has played on clay for the last two weeks so I can only imagine she's playing this week to pick up some cash before moving back to the clay courts next week. Jankovic has won both meetings between the two easily, both back in 2006 but with Jankovic playing good tennis at the minute, would expect a similiar scoreline. Simona Halep vs Alize Cornet- Cornet -2.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Thought long and hard over this one but eventually decided that the handicap is within reach for Cornet. She looks to be playing some decent stuff this year on the hard courts which she must have worked on in the off-season as last year she could only produce on clay. Saw her match against Clijsters at the AO and she troubled the Belgian at times in that first set but she had that extra bit of quality to see Cornet off. She did however beat Kuzzy in the Fed cup and took a set of Pavlyuchenkova which is a pretty decent effort. She did lose to Arvidsson last week which considering the Swede's form was a bad result but hoping she will be up for this week. Halep has played a couple of matches on clay recently, both of which she lost so she may struggle to come to turns with the quicker courts after a little break. Even on the hard courts her results have been a bit of a mixture so not entirely convinced that she is in the right place at the minute to beat Cornet. Could well go the distance but I'd fancy Cornet to get the job done here, and feel if she does win the match she should cover the handicap providing she keeps her head in shape and doesn't have mental breaks.

Good luck mate, but it's in Mexico not Canada;) Don't think I'll be getting involved until Davis Cup, unless something really stands out.
Yep my mistake, thanks for pointing it out. Mind was on other things ;)

First bit of tennis action this week involving the women over in Mexico. Taken 3, one of which is tomorrow. Laura Pous Tio vs Anastasija Sevastova- Sevastova -4.5 handicap- 5/6 Bet365- (6/10) Fancy Sevastova to have a decent week or so over in Mexico. She made the semis last year and I don't see why she can't repeat this form looking at her potential draw. She hasn't played a great deal of tennis this year but when she has played, she's looked in decent shape and beaten some handy opponents. She beat Wickmayer at the AO which was a really good result for Latvian and the only players she's lost to this year are Wozniacki, Kanepi and Radwanska, all opponents who are on a completely different level to Pous-Tio who she faces today. The Spaniard is pretty decent on clay but on the hard courts it's a different story. She doesn't play much on the hard surfaces, mainly just clay but she has won her qualifiers in Mexico, all be it against lesser opponents to make the main draw. This wil be a massive test for the Spaniard who I'm not sure will be able to keep up with Sevastova. They've played once before which was actually on Pous-Tio's favoured clay but Sevastova won that in two comfortable sets, covering the handicap. This time it's on the hard surface and Sevastova should win this without too much trouble. Jelena Jankovic vs Lourdes Dominguez Lino- Under 18.5 games- 5/6 Bet365- (6/10) Pretty generous offer here on Jankovic to win this one in comfortable straight sets. She looks to be back to somewhere around her best recently, giving a couple of good weeks in Dubai and Doha, only losing to Wozniacki and Zvonareva. She looks be back to the Jankovic of the past and in truth she should take this one without too much worry. Lino is another player who plays her best tennis on the clay and on the hard courts against good quality opponents she doesn't really have the game to trouble players like Jankovic. She has played on clay for the last two weeks so I can only imagine she's playing this week to pick up some cash before moving back to the clay courts next week. Jankovic has won both meetings between the two easily, both back in 2006 but with Jankovic playing good tennis at the minute, would expect a similiar scoreline. Simona Halep vs Alize Cornet- Cornet -2.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Thought long and hard over this one but eventually decided that the handicap is within reach for Cornet. She looks to be playing some decent stuff this year on the hard courts which she must have worked on in the off-season as last year she could only produce on clay. Saw her match against Clijsters at the AO and she troubled the Belgian at times in that first set but she had that extra bit of quality to see Cornet off. She did however beat Kuzzy in the Fed cup and took a set of Pavlyuchenkova which is a pretty decent effort. She did lose to Arvidsson last week which considering the Swede's form was a bad result but hoping she will be up for this week. Halep has played a couple of matches on clay recently, both of which she lost so she may struggle to come to turns with the quicker courts after a little break. Even on the hard courts her results have been a bit of a mixture so not entirely convinced that she is in the right place at the minute to beat Cornet. Could well go the distance but I'd fancy Cornet to get the job done here, and feel if she does win the match she should cover the handicap providing she keeps her head in shape and doesn't have mental breaks.
WIN WIN WIN Nice to have a full house to start the month. Both handicaps came through easily enough with Jankovic covering the unders with a good second set.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Hi guys, 1 pick for today: WTA MONTERREY: JANKOVIC VS. BAMMER UNDER20games @2 bet365 Should be an easy win for Jankovic. Jankovic is looking great this year, on her way to top 5 probably. The head-to-head is already 8:1 to Jankovic and Bammer at almost 31 y.o. is not getting younger.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March One for me today, well tomorrow morning UK time, can't see much else to take atm, waiting for Davis Cup to kick into action. Jelena Jankovic vs Sybille Bammer- Jankovic -5.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Agreed on the Jankovic front but taking her on the handicap rather than the overs as Bammer is a player you have to be wary against. She has enough about her to not let Jankovic walk all over her like most of the Serb's recent opponents which is putting me off the overs as she could force a tie break or even pinch a set. Saying that, if you look at most of Bammer's results against the better players, even if she does take a close set off Jankovic, there is usually a tanked set thrown in there at some point which leads me to the handicap. Jankovic should be able to take at least one set in comfortable fashion which would put the handicap in good stead regardless of a 3 setter. Way I see it going is on one of two ways. Either Jankovic wins in solid straight sets or loses a tie break in one set but wins the other two in a convincing manner. Either way the handicap looks decent to me. H2H speaks volumes as well, something like 8:1 to the Serb, to which the handicap has been covered on most ocassions.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March I prefer to avoid guessing lines whenever possible, so I am on a parlay instead Dulko (to bt Wozniak) x Jankovic (to bt Bammer) @1.616 Pinnacle Dulko won her 8 last matches, including the Acapulco final last week, and seems to be in-form and on fire. Wozniak went easily through qualies in Monterrey, but this is only her second main draw presence this year, first being the loss in round 1 two weeks ago to Keothavong. In addidtion to WTA, she has scored one win over nobody Jovanovic and one loss to Bojana Jovanovski in CAN-SRB FedCup. The class difference here is to high to imagine that Dulko could lose this match. Not much to tell about Jelena Jankovic that could add something significant to what has already been said here. GL :hope

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March David cup Ivan Dodig vs Kohlschreiber 2.47 pinnacle sports Dodig must be favorite here or at least the chances must be equal. Croatian audience is great. On the same hall Dodig won few weeks ago ATP Zagreb tournament. He loves indor hard court, while this is the worst surface for the German. Dodig played only once for Davis cup team and won his match last year. Now he has a chance to prove himslef, that he is better then Ivo Carlovic, who is a substitute here.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Sport Tennis Event Groth v Morita Selection Morita Strength 10/10 Date 04/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Ladbrokes @ 2.75 Reasoning Morita looks a solid price here. She's a good player, and getting better. Looks in decent form and one to back in this part of the world. Groth on the other hand, I'm not sure about at the moment. She's struggled for a couple of rounds here against playwers she should have beaten more readily. I think this is a let down part of the season for her, after the season in Australia and finishing up with Fed Cup in Australia. Morita a very reasonable price here.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Sport Tennis Event Dodig v Kohlschreiber Selection Kohlschreiber Strength 10/10 Date 04/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.68 Reasoning I like Kolhschreiber at this price. He's a good Davis Cup player, and has good away wins in previous matches against Davydenko, Ferrer and Verdasco. He was poor last year away against Monfils, he played tense for a couple of sets and couldn't get into it. This is a big game for Dodig. First match for Croatia (I think, played some game before for a smaller country?) at home after his big results in Zagreb. Lot of pressure on him here, and a strong opponent against him in Kohlschreiber. Solid price I feel.

Hi guys, 1 pick for today: WTA MONTERREY: JANKOVIC VS. BAMMER UNDER20games @2 bet365 Should be an easy win for Jankovic. Jankovic is looking great this year, on her way to top 5 probably. The head-to-head is already 8:1 to Jankovic and Bammer at almost 31 y.o. is not getting younger.
great shout MATE :nana

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Hi guys, 2 picks for today: WTA MONTERREY: JANKOVIC VS. SEVASTOVA @1.36 pinnaclesports WTA MALAYSIA: BARTOLI VS. SAFAROVA @1.44 ladbrokes My second bet on Jankovic who is in great form. Sevastova plays aggressive tennis and counterattacking style of Jankovic will force Sevastova to hit many balls and to make a lot of unforced errors. Bartoli looks great last 2-3 weeks, losing just a few games in each match destroying peer, Kleybanova, Peng inDubai and losing 1 game per set in Malaysia. She has 3:0 record against Safarova who also looks to be permanently injured this year.

One for me today, well tomorrow morning UK time, can't see much else to take atm, waiting for Davis Cup to kick into action. Jelena Jankovic vs Sybille Bammer- Jankovic -5.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (5/10) Agreed on the Jankovic front but taking her on the handicap rather than the overs as Bammer is a player you have to be wary against. She has enough about her to not let Jankovic walk all over her like most of the Serb's recent opponents which is putting me off the overs as she could force a tie break or even pinch a set. Saying that, if you look at most of Bammer's results against the better players, even if she does take a close set off Jankovic, there is usually a tanked set thrown in there at some point which leads me to the handicap. Jankovic should be able to take at least one set in comfortable fashion which would put the handicap in good stead regardless of a 3 setter. Way I see it going is on one of two ways. Either Jankovic wins in solid straight sets or loses a tie break in one set but wins the other two in a convincing manner. Either way the handicap looks decent to me. H2H speaks volumes as well, something like 8:1 to the Serb, to which the handicap has been covered on most ocassions.
LOSS Unders would have been the better option after all as the she fell one game short of the handicap. Wins from the previous day keep me in good profit though.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Sport Tennis Event Cilic v Mayer Selection Lay Mayer (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 04/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 3.16 Reasoning Like Cilic in this match. Mayer beat him a couple of weeks back, but since then Cilic has had a better week where he showed some good form. Now at home leading his team I think he gets the job done. Mayer is suspect mentally and his form seems to go up and down wildly, and I wouldn't want to be trusting him in this match. Sport Tennis Event Hajek v Golubev Selection Lay Hajek (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 04/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 2.73 Reasoning Interesting match, Golubev has more class but struggled for form. He's really struggled since great performances in KL last year, but this being a one off different event he may find some form. He's better than Hajek anyway, so may not need to play great. Surface is rumoured to be slowish for indoors, just the KL courts were last year. This is a big deal for the Kazachs, first time in the world group of Davis Cup, and they have a chance to win this tie away from home, but they need to get off to a good start with a win here. Sport Tennis Event Isner v Capdeville Selection Lay Capdeville (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 04/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Stan James @ 3.16 Reasoning It's clay and away from home, but I can't see Isner struggling too much here. He showed last year against Serbia he can play on clay, and anything like that level will take apart Capdeville. Capdeville isn't the player he was a few years back, and Isners game just looks too big. Sport Tennis Event Monaco v Hanescu Selection Lay Hanescu (Lay) Strength 10/10 Date 04/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Boylesports @ 3.45 Reasoning Tough assignment for Hanescu here against Monaco in Argentina. Argentina are always good at home, and should win this tie 3-0. Monaco seems in OK nick and generally has a higher level on clay than Hanescu. Should be straightforward.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Sport Tennis Event Melzer v Chardy Selection Melzer -2.5 sets Strength 10/10 Date 04/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Paddy Power @ 2.00 Reasoning This looks solid to me. Melzer at home and now established as a top player I expect him to perform. He has a very high level and can produce great clay game. Chardy is average at best, struggling for form for a while now and can't see him getting close in this game.

I prefer to avoid guessing lines whenever possible, so I am on a parlay instead Dulko (to bt Wozniak) x Jankovic (to bt Bammer) @1.616 Pinnacle WIN
Not the biggest yield, but an absolute no-sweater, which is what I like. The Jankovic under was little bit in jeopardy, as Bammer in the second set almost broke Jankovic back to 5-5 ;)

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Malaysian open doubles Aoyama/Chan vs Safina/Voskoboeva Pinnacle 3.30 Asian duo beat in the first round number 1 seated Misa Krajcek/Malek then beat Rusian duo Bovina/Bratchikova. Safina must go to Indian Wells, where she will participate in qualifications. The match will be not so important for her. On the doubles we have a lot of Asian players. In the other semis we have 3 players from the continent. Seems they both are keen with the weather. In the doubles rankings Aoyama/Chan are in better position then Safina/Voskoboeva.

David cup Ivan Dodig vs Kohlschreiber 2.47 pinnacle sports Dodig must be favorite here or at least the chances must be equal. Croatian audience is great. On the same hall Dodig won few weeks ago ATP Zagreb tournament. He loves indor hard court, while this is the worst surface for the German. Dodig played only once for Davis cup team and won his match last year. Now he has a chance to prove himslef, that he is better then Ivo Carlovic, who is a substitute here.
Tailing u on this at 2.420 Pinnacle, mate. Dodig won his title on this very court, and Kohli was recently beaten by his compatriot Petzschner and shows signs of being out of form. GL :hope

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Taking couple WTA matches on my return here. Taking Dulko with handicap in Monterrey and overs in Groth and Safarova match in Kuala Lumpur. 1) Gisela Dulko -4 AH vs Ksenia Pervak. 1.94 @ Pinnacle (7/10) I think Pervak is overrated here only because she beat Hradecka yesterday. In all honesty she was all over the place. Serve was poor, she made 12 double faults and Hradecka has only herself to blame because she took only 2 out of 15 break point chances which is just not good enough at this level. Dulko is absolutely on fire atm and has won her last seven matches on tour. Comparing her tennis to that of Hradecka, Dulko certainly is a bit more solid from the back of the court and can force player like Pervak to make errors. Easy win for Dulko and 4 games should not be a problem. 2) Jarmila Groth vs Lucie Safarova. Over 21 games. 1.87 @ Pinnacle (6/10) This is a clear over when you look at it. Both players are big hitters, should hold easier than break and gerenally speaking neither is consistent enough to win in straight sets. Jarka has had overs in all of her 3 matches this week and Safarova generally plays long matches as well. H2H shows 3 matches played between these two. Couple of the matches have gon full distance whilst the other one was 22 games total. So no surprises there either. Overs is an obvious choice here and I'm having that!

Sport Tennis
Event Lucie Safarova - Jelena Dokic
Selection Jelena Dokic
Strength 10/10
Date 06/03/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.64
Reasoning Maybe I'm an optimist but I think that Jelena Dokic can win this match. She has won last match against Lucie Safarova. Jelena Dokic feels very good on hardcourt - it's Jelena's favourite surface. Dokic is really hard to break and I don't see many break points for Lucie Safarova. Jelena's tennis is on really good level in this tournament - for example she won against Francesca Schiavone in first match! Jelena looks very good here. I see close match with many games and propably with three sets. Jelena Dokic can't lost too many serve games. She can holding stronge serve and breake one/two times Lucie Safarova in this match. Safarova plays left-handed with a two-handed backhand and a high topspin forehand. Lucie's favourite surface is clay not hardcourt so I think that Jelena has more chances.

Re: Tennis - 28 February - 6 March Had Dulko last night on sports punter but couldn't post on here due to log in problems. Going for both games tonight Sport Tennis Event Jankovic v Hercog Selection Hercog +5.5 games Strength 10/10 Date 05/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.20 Reasoning Nice big number and a lot over evens and this looks good to me. Hercog is playing well this week, saw her yesterday and it was the best she's played for a long while. Think she can carry that into this game and at least keep it close. Jankovic has improved a lot the past few weeks, and in this tournament has looked fine, but I think this will be her toughest test so far this week. Sport Tennis Event Pavlyuchenkova v Dulko Selection Pavlyuchenkova Strength 10/10 Date 05/03/2011 Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.73 Reasoning Market going against her, but hell I like her in this match and it looks like a big price. Dulko has been on a good run, but comes up against more power here. Pavlyuchenkova won this title last year so should be up for this. Dulko possible over valued after easy score yesterday, but her opponent was awful.