** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 21-27 February

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February It's been pretty slim pickings this week. Loads of ATP matches but I think the bookies have been cannier than usual, forcing many out of handicaps. In saying that, I've found a bet for today's action ... - Adrian Mannarino -2 games (vs Alejandro Falla) @ 1.943 with Pinnacle Mannarino takes on Falla in a battle of two lefties. The handicap of the talented Frenchman is being offered at -2 games and I think, at 1.943, that's a very good offer. Falla has been very poor this year, even by his own standards. He's departed most events in either R1 or R2 and still has mental breakdowns at key moments. I don't see any scope for improvement in him, but I can't say that about Mannarino. He's certainly having his breakthrough year and is a player with imagination and an array of weapons. He choked against Hewitt last week but I was heartened to see him fight back from a 6-1 first-set loss to Mayer and then close out the match. It shows he has some balls. Good chance for him to make the quarters against an opponent who (a) entirely beatable and (b) out-of-form. He benefitted from getting Hajek in R1 - everybody's dream draw at the minute - and he'll need to step it up considerably to beat Mannarino, which I can't see him doing. Two games is definitely achievable for the Frenchman, and at decent odds to boot.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Hi guys, 2 picks for today: ATP DELRAY: DEL POTRO TO DEFEAT GABASHVILI 2:0 in SETS @1.5 betfair WTA ACAPULCO: ARN TO DEFEAT LARSSON @1.59 pinnaclesports Del Potro is looking great this year - almost back into his pre-injury form of 2009. His game is great for US hard courts. Gabashvili is actually playing similar style to Del Potro - big serve and hard shots from both sides from the baseline but Del Potro is a couple of levels above him. Just 10 days ago in San Jose - an easy 6:3 6:2 win to Del Potro. Arn is a very solid player great on clay court, very consistent and her form this year is good - already won a title in Auckland defeating Sharapova, Wickmayer, Goerges.

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Hi guys, this week been really tough for us all, full of surprises, but I guess thats the way it is some weeks, at least we are approaching the end of the week with some more clear matches...maybe... What is your opinion about Giraldo - Almagro? The odds seems quite high on Almagro as he comes from two winnings on clay, is it fatigue or is he injured that drives the odds up? Giraldo is not bad of course but still he really shouldnt be able to match an in-form Almagro? Neither as a outright nor with handicap or am I missing something?? Hope somebody can give some info on this match...

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Almagro is on fire....maybe people are expecting him to have a down after winning 2 titles in the last 2 weeks....seems to be flying still though, no signs of fatigue in his matches this week. Odds look fair to me, Giraldo can be dangerous. Gonna have a couple of small ones for interest in Acapulco. Dolgopolov to bt Wawrinka @ 2.10 (Pinnacle:2pts) Not convinced by Stan in the last few weeks....seems to be struggling in every match while Dolgopolov is very dangerous on his day and I think in good enough shape to take this one down. Kubot +4 games AH over Bellucci @ 1.885 (Pinnacle:2pts) Dont trust Bellucci on these big handicaps at all...very inconsistent, tends to dip in matches, throws in loose games here and there. Dont think he's consistent enough to clsoe matches out easily against alot of players.Kubot is not one of my faves at all but I believe he can compete here

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Yes mate, been considering Dolgo to bt Wawrinka for some time already. Have seen Wawrinka yesterday against Fognini, and it was all about bad serve and UE's. Had Wawa not been able to deliver a superb one-handed backhand winner now and then, and had Fognini had better serve, Wawa would be gone already. Dolgo very dangerous on clay - his best surface - and will not allow Stan the luxury of making too many bad shots. Tailing u @2.100 Pinnacle

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Not going over the top this week like most as there doesn't seem to be much value about. Taken 2 for today though. Adrian Mannarino vs Alejandro Falla X Jelena Jankovic vs Klara Zakopalova- 2.14 @ Bet365- (5/10) Think this double is an attractive price for two players who I think will take their respective matches but not entirely sure about their handicaps. Mannarino has shown he can play with the big boys this year and has beaten some pretty handy opponents, whilst getting to an ATP semi a few weeks back. Falla is a strange on for me. He's not been great by any standards this year but the weird thing for me is that a couple of weeks back he went off to play in a clay challenger tournament before returning to the hard courts. That has got to interrupt any player's game on the hard courts after playing on the clay as the speed is completely different. He's won 4 straight matches now at Delray Beach after coming through qualifiers and beating Hajek, but Mannarino is a complete step up in class. He'll play his laid back defensive game and can see Falla getting frustrated and making errors. Taking it in a double rather than the handicap just in case the Frenchman has one of his horror sets in which he goes missing but fancy him to win the match. Doubling him up with Jankovic who looks to be back in some form. Watched her last match against Mirza and she outclassed her in every department and ignored the Indian support in the crowd which says to me her head is back in the right place. Zakopalova beat Li in the last round but Li last week wasn't great and she choked and eventually lost to Wickmayer. Can only guess she wasn't too interested in yesterdays match allowing the Czech an easy win. Zakopalova is only here due to her being a lucky loser as she lost to Dushevina in qualifiers but she's played a fair bit of tennis so fatigue may start to creep in against Jankovic who will make her run and will vary her shot selection up. They've played 3 times but Jankovic has won the only recent meeting and that was at the back end of last season where she wasn't playing well at all. She looks to be putting runs of wins together now and would fancy her to come through this to get into the semis. Daniela Hantuchova vs Vera Zvonareva- Zvonareva -3.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) Favouring the Russian here to get the job done despite the result a couple of weeks back. She hasn't won a title for just over a year now which should be her motivation over the coming weeks and she has a really good chance of at least making the final. She was destructive against Cibulkova yesterday where many people thought that Vera would struggle. But just 3 games dropped shows that she is up for this week to me and she will be fresh and roaring to go today to make up for the defeat that she suffered to Hantuchova in Thailand. I'm still not overly convinced about Hantuchova yet. Granted she took the title in Thailand but since then she lost to Chakvetadze easily and then needed 3 sets to beat Azarenka and Dushevina. Dushevina could have easily beat her having several chances to take it in straight sets but it wasn't to be. Looking at the stats in that one, Hantuchova allowed her opponent 14 break points, saving 11 of them. If that is the case today, Zvonareva won't need a second invitation to break her serve. The H2H is 4-2 in Vera's favour although the last 2 have been won by Hantuchova. The handicap that I've taken today has been covered in 5/6 matches, including one of those matches which Zvonareva lost! Really think Vera will want revenge and the handicap is low enough for a player of her quality.

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February

Sport Tennis
Event Klara Zakopalova vs. Jelena Jankovic
Selection Jankovic (-4) GH (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 24/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.91
Reasoning Well, Klara Zakopalova is overrated at the moment because of her impresive victory against Na Li, but speaking about this game I have to mentionate that Na Li purely didn't played her tennis, there were so many unforced errors from her side. There are no doubts that Klara Zakopalova is playing with a good form at the moment, but still there is a clear difference in cla between her and Jelena Jankovic. Speaking about the serbian player I have to say that Jankovic is in a great form at the moment, in her latest two tournaments she has improved a lot and showed a much better form and she is continue to improve her level. Jankovic is playing a deffnsive style and Klara Zakopalova is a more defender player too, so IMO Jelena should have the final word as she should dominate the rallie in a game against a player who defends more. Jankovic's defence in better than Klara Zakopalova's ones, so I think that Jelena should have an advantage from this point of view too. Good Luck!

Sport Tennis
Event Adrian Mannarino vs. Alejandro Falla
Selection Falla
Strength 10/10
Date 24/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.45
Reasoning Well, Adrian Mannarino has played his first game here at Delray Beach against Leonardo Mayer and I have to mentionate that game wasn't a impressive one from Adrian Mannarino's side. Leonardo Mayer is not in form at the moment and he could had won against Adrian Mannarino having real chances to do that, the game between these two players was a game with quite many unforced errors, so I doubt about Adrian Mannarino's form of the moment. Today Mannarino will play against Alejandro Falla who has played already four rounds so dar here at Delray and have to mentionate that he has been in all of his in all control and played with a quite limited number of errors. Alejandro Falla certain at this tournament is playing clear much better than in the previous tournaments when he didn't showed nothing special, so I think that this is the perfect moment to go on his side. The difference in class between him and Adrian Mannarino is not meaningful, I will say that Falla is a even more complete player with better deffensive skills than the frenchman, he is just underrated at the moment because of his lack of good results recently, butcertain here at this tournament he is playing much better. Good Luck!

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Zvonareva onto the blacklist indefinitely. Whenever I see her she is so distinctly average. Find it hard to comprehend why she can ever trouble players such as Wozniacki and Clijsters. She's a no bet for a good bit of time now. Gasquet beating Simon as well, strange.

Simon to bt Gasquet @1.735 Pinnacle LOSS
Not the best week for the favs. Fortunately this match was LIVE on Pinny, so there was the opportunity to minimize losses. Hope Dolgo > Wawrinka will come through. Odds for Dolgo changed from 2.100 to 1.878 in the meanwhile. Wimpy souls can sell for decent profit. Just for fun going for Zakopalova to bt Jankovic @3.130 Pinnacle Seems that underdogs have their day, and Zakopalova is on fire.

Not going over the top this week like most as there doesn't seem to be much value about. Taken 2 for today though. Adrian Mannarino vs Alejandro Falla X Jelena Jankovic vs Klara Zakopalova- 2.14 @ Bet365- (5/10) Think this double is an attractive price for two players who I think will take their respective matches but not entirely sure about their handicaps. Mannarino has shown he can play with the big boys this year and has beaten some pretty handy opponents, whilst getting to an ATP semi a few weeks back. Falla is a strange on for me. He's not been great by any standards this year but the weird thing for me is that a couple of weeks back he went off to play in a clay challenger tournament before returning to the hard courts. That has got to interrupt any player's game on the hard courts after playing on the clay as the speed is completely different. He's won 4 straight matches now at Delray Beach after coming through qualifiers and beating Hajek, but Mannarino is a complete step up in class. He'll play his laid back defensive game and can see Falla getting frustrated and making errors. Taking it in a double rather than the handicap just in case the Frenchman has one of his horror sets in which he goes missing but fancy him to win the match. Doubling him up with Jankovic who looks to be back in some form. Watched her last match against Mirza and she outclassed her in every department and ignored the Indian support in the crowd which says to me her head is back in the right place. Zakopalova beat Li in the last round but Li last week wasn't great and she choked and eventually lost to Wickmayer. Can only guess she wasn't too interested in yesterdays match allowing the Czech an easy win. Zakopalova is only here due to her being a lucky loser as she lost to Dushevina in qualifiers but she's played a fair bit of tennis so fatigue may start to creep in against Jankovic who will make her run and will vary her shot selection up. They've played 3 times but Jankovic has won the only recent meeting and that was at the back end of last season where she wasn't playing well at all. She looks to be putting runs of wins together now and would fancy her to come through this to get into the semis. Daniela Hantuchova vs Vera Zvonareva- Zvonareva -3.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) Favouring the Russian here to get the job done despite the result a couple of weeks back. She hasn't won a title for just over a year now which should be her motivation over the coming weeks and she has a really good chance of at least making the final. She was destructive against Cibulkova yesterday where many people thought that Vera would struggle. But just 3 games dropped shows that she is up for this week to me and she will be fresh and roaring to go today to make up for the defeat that she suffered to Hantuchova in Thailand. I'm still not overly convinced about Hantuchova yet. Granted she took the title in Thailand but since then she lost to Chakvetadze easily and then needed 3 sets to beat Azarenka and Dushevina. Dushevina could have easily beat her having several chances to take it in straight sets but it wasn't to be. Looking at the stats in that one, Hantuchova allowed her opponent 14 break points, saving 11 of them. If that is the case today, Zvonareva won't need a second invitation to break her serve. The H2H is 4-2 in Vera's favour although the last 2 have been won by Hantuchova. The handicap that I've taken today has been covered in 5/6 matches, including one of those matches which Zvonareva lost! Really think Vera will want revenge and the handicap is low enough for a player of her quality.
LOSS LOSS That's me done this week. Complete minefield so need to stay away for a few days. Hope for a better one next week.

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Jankovic - Zvonareva 3.04 Pinnacle Zvonareva played 3 hours very tough gave against Hantuchova. Jankovic takes very easy her matches in Doha. Seems the Serbian finds her old form just in time. Very nice odds for a match that is 50/50 for me, adding the fact that Jankovic will be more fresh then Zvonareva.

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Copying these from my glory hunt thread Juan Martin Del Potro v Teimuraz Gabashvili - Del Potro total games under 12.5 @4/7 This is, in my mind, a value bet. Del Potro beat Gabashvili 6-3, 6-2 two weeks ago and is a huge favourite to win tonight. I don't fancy a 5.5 handicap though. 2-0 Del Potro is 3/10, which is very short but 4/7 on under 12.5 games is quite similar, I'm just relying on avoiding a 7-5 or 7-6 set. I've got the safety of Del Potro losing as well. Del Potro has only gone over this line in 1 of his last 9 matches (wins and losses). Stanislas Wawrinka to beat Alexandr Dolgopolov @10/11 Wawrinka has been in really good form this year and looks on course to break into the top 10. He was pushed hard in his last match by Fabio Fognini but he came back well and finished with some brilliant service games. Fognini barely got a point on the Wawrinka serve in the last set. Dolgopolov is playing well and will break the top 20 this year. I haven't seen him in Acapulco yet but he was disappointing in Buenos Aires, losing to Jose Acasuso in straight sets. He reached the final of the Brasil Open, but didn't beat anyone of note along the way and went down in straight sets to Nicolas Almagro. Expecting this one to be close, may even go the distance but I think Wawrinka is over-priced.

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February One more, from Delray Beach Kevin Anderson v Florent Serra - over 22.5 games @2.00 Anderson is a hot favourite and his serve will make him difficult to beat but Serra came through qualifying without losing a set. He then beat Ryan Harrison in three in the first round and is in with a chance here. Each of Anderson's last four matches have gone to three sets and he is almost always involved in tie-breaks (3 in his last two matches). The 22.5 game line will be covered by a three setter, while it can also be passed in two long sets, which are always likely with Anderson.

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Right, enough fannying around. Stupidly tried to modify a system that worked so going back to a points-based strategy. Starting off with this one today in what has, quite frankly, been a hopeless week ... - Novak Djokovic -4 games AH (vs Tomas Berdych) @ 1.847 with Pinnacle (5/10) Think this could be end of the line for Berdych. The Czech hasn't really looked himself since suffering a bout of flu in Rotterdam a few weeks ago and really laboured to a win over Petzschner yesterday. To me, it's his serve that is letting him down at present, and there doesn't seem to be quite as much zap on his groundies. Apart from beating Djokovic at SW19 last year, he's got a nasty record against the Serb, who trounced him in Melbourne earlier this year and also beat him comfortably in London at the World Tour Finals. Djokovic himself has been in cruise-control but he quickly snapped out of it when a break down to Mayer yesterday. He put on the afterburners pretty rapidly afterwards and I don't think he'll be taking the Czech lightly. Four games seems attainable for me - thought the line would be higher considering Djokovic is the form player at present - so happy to bite. :hope

Jankovic - Zvonareva 3.04 Pinnacle Zvonareva played 3 hours very tough gave against Hantuchova. Jankovic takes very easy her matches in Doha. Seems the Serbian finds her old form just in time. Very nice odds for a match that is 50/50 for me, adding the fact that Jankovic will be more fresh then Zvonareva.
I also planned to go for Jankovic to bt Zvonareva, but in her yesterday's match with Zakopalova, Jankovic had a medical treatment, and it appears that her knee is out of order. Zakopalova was not able to take advantage, but Zvonareva probably will. It all depends on how serious this injury is. Healthy Jankovic should destroy Zvonareva, but under these circumstances I would either stay away, or play plus handicap.

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Two more bets for the tennis today ... going back down the double route :eek - Nicolas Almagro (vs Tomas Bellucci) x David Ferrer (vs Alexandr Dolgopolov) @ 2.16 with Stan James (4/10) Fancy the two Spaniards to battle it out in the final. Almagro is on a dream run at the moment. Something like 12 games won in a row on the red brick and two titles. He'll be desperate to make it three. Bellucci's going to be a tough opponent but I've seen enough weaknesses in the Brazilian's game this year to see him losing this. Too flaky on serve and far too erratic off his backhand side. Almagro beat him in their only meeting last year and loves Acapulco. He's a fighter, and I can see him gutsing it out. Ferrer ... well, what more can be said about the guy. He's another warrior, and he's here to win this event. Had a bit of an epic with Monaco yesterday but pulled through. Dolgopolov will be a sterner test. I love the Ukrainian - he has made me an absolute fortune in the last year - but I'm not sure he's ready to beat top 10 clay courter like Ferrer yet. He just has a few lapses in his game where he chooses the wrong shot and that gets punished by the top players. He was lucky to win the second set against Wawrinka - the Swiss blew four set points and a two breaks of serve - and that sort of situation will be gobbled up by Ferrer. They've met twice before on a hard court and Ferrer won both, mainly because he drew the errors from Dolgopolov's game and took his chances. Might be tighter than those encounters but I see Ferrer in the final come the end. - Janko Tipsarevic (vs Ivan Dodig) x Kei Nishikori (vs Ryan Sweeting) @ 2.48 with Boylesports (3/10) Tremendous odds on an outcome that I can very much see happening. Wouldn't trust either of these guys on a handicap, particularly Tipsarevic, but I think they'll both pull through. I'll start with the wacky Serb first. The guy is evidently nuts. Go on to his twitter account and you'll see why. He's also suspect, but that's another matter. Why back him then? Well, Dodig isn't much better. I don't believe the hype about the Croat. He won in Zagreb with the help of the officials, and he is granted no such favours here. He hasn't had to beat much to get this far - Kunitysn and Sela are pretty easy opponents - and Tipsarevic is a step up. The Serb has beaten Karlovic and Kavcic and has looked okay in each match. He's a health warning as far as closing out matches (really selling him to you all here) but he's on the cusp of a semi-final, and by hook or by crook, I think he'll squeak this. I'd like to think Nishikori might be a bit more straightforward. The Japanese is a very handy player on his day and plays the American Sweeting. Not a fan of Sweeting's game, it's all about hitting the ball as hard as he possibly can. Nishikori's got enough to take him out of his comfort zone and force errors. He's beaten Sweeting every time they've played (three) and the Japanese comes here in good form having beaten Dabul and Blake. Sweeting stunned Querrey but let's face, Sam's on a hideous run and clearly has issues. Think Nishikori will keep up his dominance over the American. :hope

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Wozniacki (DEN) vs Bartoli (FRA): Bartoli @4,920 Pinnacle Wozniacki (DEN) vs Bartoli (FRA): Wozniacki -5.5 @2,250 Pinnacle Now the point of those two bets is that Bartoli will not lose in a tight match. H2H is 3-2 for Wozniacki, but last two matches (hard 2010, clay 2009) were won by Bartoli. In the remaining 3 matches Woz covered the handicap. When we look at last 10 Woz matches, she covered -5.5 in all of them, except for one retirement (Chakvetadze) and one miss by 0.5 games (with Jankovic last week). Therefore I expect that Bartoli either will keep and improve her level on this tournament and beats Woz as she did in their last two meetings (Woz being fatigued might help as well), or she will collapse similarly to Shahar Peer in Dubail round 3 last week, and Woz will have another easy win and the bet price on Bartoli will be refunded with 0.25 u profit.

And Berdych retired in set 3 at 76 26 24 after realizing that he will not cover the handicap. That's why I do not like Berdych. He is poor sport' date=' same as Gasquet.[/quote'] I'm sure that was exactly what was going through his mind as he retired... :eyes

Re: Tennis - 21-27 February Jankovic - Zvonareva Jankovic is playing well at the moment. Last week and this week she played good tennis. Zvonareva is tired , she played 3 set match yesterday. Last 4 meetings , zvonareva beat jankovic. But the odds of Jankovic's victory is too high. Zvonareva is not in-form this season. Jankovic to beat zvonareva @3.00 Bookmaker : 188bet Strength :10/10

Sport Tennis
Event Janko Tipsarevic vs. Ivan Dodig
Selection Tipsarevic
Strength 10/10
Date 25/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price Unibet @ 1.55
Reasoning Well, Ivan Dodig did had a very good season so far, he registered some nice wins over difficult players like Ljubicic or Garcia-Lopez and has lost only from players like Berdych, Del Potro or Djokovic. So, looking from the results point of view Ivan Dodig seems to be in a great form, but looking certain at the situation of the moment we could observe some interesting and different facts. As I have said Dodig did had a great 2011 season so far, but watching his games from this tournament I will say that he in not playing the same level of tennis at the moment as his two wins against Igor Kunitsyn and Dudi Sela didn't left a too nice impression about his form. Dodig has played here at Delray Beach with a increased number of errors and with not the same stability as he used to play at Zagreb for example when he did looked much more stable. Today Dodig will play against a really difficult player, Janko Tipsarevic should be just another type of task for the croat man as the serbian player is just one class over Dodig's level. Tipsarevic didn't achieved nothing special so far in 2011 and I'm sure that his motivation is at high stakes for playing as better as possible here at Delray Beach, tournament where he did showed some nice and stable tennis. Good Luck!