** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Tennis - 14-20 February

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February Well ended with a tiny profit today with Stepanek and Jovanovski doing the job. The Pole just not good enough to grind out tough matches like the one against Dabul, could have avoided that one. He gets tight late in sets which is something I notice alot with him and not doing enough on return.Will keep that in my head for a later date.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February

- Radek Stepanek (vs. Benjamin Becker) @ 1.546 [Pinnacle] (5/10) WIN - Adrian Mannarino -3.5 games (vs. Jan Hajek) @ 1.752 [Pinnacle] (5/10) WIN - Michael Llodra -3.5 games (vs. Julian Benneteau) @ 1.917 [Pinnacle] (5/10) LOSS
+1.49 overall, Llodra missing out on the handicap by 0.5 games. +4.94 for the week, let's hope the profit continues ;)

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February Taken 5 for tomorrow's action in Dubai. Was considering taking both Azarenka and Zvonareva with their respective handicaps but opted against it. Agnieszka Radwanska vs Anastasija Sevastova- Radwanska -3.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) Suprised to see such a low handicap for Agy here, was expecting at least a 4.5 so happy to go with the 3.5. She recieved a bye into the second round due to her seeding so she'll be fresh and ready to go tomorrow and looking to repeat her good form that she produced here 12 months ago. She has only lost two matches this year, to Clijsters and Azarenka, and her Latvian opponent is nowhere near the standards of either of those two players. Sevastova IMO is being overrated simply due to her AO performance. Granted she made it to the fourth round but she didn't have the toughest draw in the world and eventually fell to Wozniacki. Traditionally her best results have over in America and she does seem to struggle in the humid conditions of the west. In her first round match, she was broken 7 times and it was only because Rodionova was even worse on her service that Sevastova progressed. She actually played on the Dubai courts in a challenger event at the end of last year where Jovanovski beat her after bagelling her in the third set. Just can't see the Pole having too much trouble tomorrow and expect her to knock the Latvian out like she did in their only meeting in the same tournament last year. 6-3 6-3 was the score then, might be something similiar again. Chanelle Scheepers vs Jelena Jankovic- Scheepers +4.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) Know IAG spoke a bit about the South African in her thrashing of Kirilenko in R1 and again I expect her to perform well again tomorrow. I find it near enough impossible to back Jankovic atm. 2 wins in her last 10 matches is poor for any players, but for a women who is meant to be one of the best in her field it isn't happy reading for the Serb. Losses to Rezai and Peng this year are really bad results and watching her at the AO, she was playing like she'd never played a competitive match before and with a severe lack of confidence. Scheepers should be the complete opposite after her victory over Kirilenko and by now, she's played enough tennis to be completely at home under these conditions. Will be interesting to see how Jankovic adapts to the new conditions. Prefer the handicap to the outright just in case Jankovic does win this one but even if she does, Scheepers could well take a set and make this a close one. Shahar Peer vs Alexandra Dulgheru- Peer -5.5 handicap- Evens Bet365- (4/10) Taking Shahar with the handicap for the second day in a row here. She was extremely comfortable today, winning the majority of the points and having little trouble after securing the first set against Sanchez. Dulgheru, who she plays tomorrow is a consistent player without any major weapons. Peer is better than her in every aspect of them game and although I'm always a little wary with handicaps above the 4.5 region for Peer, she should be good enough on the day to take the match in 2 comfortable straight sets. She beat Dulgheru only last week 6-0 7-5 and see no reason why she can't cover the handicap again. Kaia Kanepi vs Andrea Petkovic- Kanepi -1.5 handicap- 5/6 Bet365- (3/10) Favouring Kanepi to pull through after today's performances. Kanepi wasn't anything special today despite the favouring score but the fact is she was only on court for little over an hour so she will be fresh for tomorrow. Petkovic had a lengthy match with Kerber and in these humid conditions, fitness and freshness is likely to be key. If Kanepi was on court for longer I would be completely against her as when she is tired, her shots are all over the place and her unforced errors go through the roof. Would just fancy her to edge this one though if her hitting is on song and her serve isn't too erratic. She has the ability to either hit Petkovic out of this match, or hit her way out of the tournament. Hopefully it will be the former. Yanina Wickmayer vs Na li- Li -3.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (3/10) Much better price on this handicap over on Pinnacle if you want this handicap. Opposed Wickmayer on the handicap today and see no reason not to do so again today. Wickmayer in truth is fairly fortunate to have got past Jovanovski today. Was 5-3 behind in the first but managed to take 7-5 and then lost the second. Bojana could have easily taken this in two however it wasn't to be. Li will be a step up and she will be fresh and full of confidence after her AO final appearence. Wickmayer was broken 5 times today and saved a further 8 break points. Putting this together with her 8 DFs says to me that something still isn't right with Wickmayer and Li is the kind of player who will exploit these weaknesses it Wickmayer is still struggling with a little niggle. Only thing I would worry about is Li's lack of practise in these conditions so she may take a bit of time to settle in but a 3.5 handicap, break in both set looks fully within her range.

Sport Tennis
Event Ernests Gulbis vs. Philipp Petzschner
Selection Ernests Gulbis (-2.5) GH (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 16/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price 188bet @ 1.90
Reasoning Well, if the last season Philipp Petzschner has been the player that did impressed a lot as he did improved a lot and showed a stable form then now in 2011 season Philipp Petzschner is just not the same player as he has been very inconsistent till now. Petzschner has won in 2011 only from Thiemo de Bakker, Lupescu and Hajek, so from the form point of view he didn't looked well at all that is clear. Speaking about Ernests Gulbis, well it is true of course that he has lost from Benjamin Becker in a clear way at AO, but have to mentionate about that game that Gulbis purely didn't played his tennis then, there were so many errors in his play in that game. Gulbis had only one bad result in 2011 while for Petzschner the single good result from this season is his victory against Thiemo de Bakker. With other words, much more inconsistent did looked Petzschner till now than Gulbis who purely had a bad tournament at AO. Speaking about the difference in class between these two players, well here I will say that there are so many advantages for Gulbis and the german man will have to have a great serving day for to be able to compete against a much much better player than him. All in all, huge difference in class here and also better form if to analyze from the latest tournaments. This game should go only in one direction. Good Luck!

Sport Tennis
Event Albert Montanes vs. Fabio Fognini
Selection Montanes
Strength 10/10
Date 16/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price Unibet @ 1.70
Reasoning Well, not too much activity from Albert Montanes together with some good results have created this situation where Fabio Fognini is rated quite closed with the spaniard's chances. There are no doubts that Fognini can play great tennis on clay but still we don't have to forget that this player lacks some essential aspects in his game. Fabio did played twice against Tommy Robredo and has won two sets, he aslo defeated Thomaz Bellucci being as underdog, so obviuosly that he will be a litter bit overrated at the moment. But, despite all these advantages on the paper and stats there are other aspects much more important IMO which could make the real difference between these tw players. Albert Montanes is a great clay-courter, his expereience is from another level if to compare with Fabio Fognini, also the spaniard possess better qualities as better movement, better variety in the game. All in all, there is all about Montanes not too great start and Fognini's better results till now but have to mentionate that Montanes didn't played at his real level at Costa do Sauipe where he has lost from Ricardo Mello in straight sets. Here at Buenos Aires Montanes has played clear different, better tennis he has showed against Ramirez-Hidalgo, so IMO he should play at his real level against Fognini this time. Good Luck!

Sport Tennis
Event Del Potro vs. John Isner
Selection Del Potro (-1.5) GH (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 17/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 1.97
Reasoning Well, it is already incredible that Juan Martin Del Potro is rated with almost equal chances against John Isner. If to remember well, these two players have played two times against each other and in both games Juan Martin Del Potro was the clear favourite to win the game, thing that he did twice. Now, because of Juan Martin Del Potro's long time of no results the bookies rate these very closed odds between him and John Isner. Well, IMO this huge difference between the odds from today and the odds from the past is muc more due to Del Potro's long pause than something regarding with Jogh Isner. So, speaking about Del Potro I would like to mentionate that he is playing better and better game after game, tournament after tournament, yes he has lost from Verdasco in his last game but he did played much better against other players. John Isner is a player that purely do not possess the qualities to be dangerous from the defence point of view, the best thing you can do, to try your opponent's stability. Isner possess a great serve and forehand, but to break Del Potro will come to be very difficult for him, so IMO Del Potro should have all the chances in this game. Good Luck!

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February (5/10) S.Wawrinka-C.Berlocq-under 20.5 @ 1.88 LOSS (4/10) I.Andreev-E.Schwank-Schwank @ 2.33 WIN (2/10) N.Mahut-A.Kumantsov-Kumantsov+4.5 @ 2.03 LOSS Not a good day small loss,too bad for Wawrinka.Hope that today will be a better day.

- Michael Llodra -3.5 games AH (vs Julien Benneteau) @ 2.00 with Pinnacle (5pts) - James Blake -3.5 games AH (vs Ricardo Mello) @ 1.926 with Pinnacle (5pts) - Radek Stepanek -2.5 games AH (vs Benjamin Becker) @ 1.909 with Pinnacle (5pts) - Adrian Mannarino -3.5 games AH (vs Jan Hajek) @ 1.952 with Pinnacle (7pts) - Thomas Schoorel (vs Tobias Kamke) @ 2.00 with Pinnacle (4pts) - David Nalbandian -3.5 games AH (vs Potito Starace) @ 1.885 with Pinnacle (5pts)
Llodra d. Benneteau 6-4 4-6 6-3 - LOSS Blake d. Mello 6-4 6-3 - WIN Stepanek d. Becker 6-4 6-2 - WIN Mannarino d. Hajek 6-2 6-2 - WIN Kamke d. Schoorel 6-0 6-2 - LOSS Nalbandian d. Starace - 6-4 6-4 - WIN Very decent day indeed. Schoorel completely capitulated against Kamke, while Llodra was a half-game out against Benneteau, who fought well. Blake, Stepanek and Nalbandian were elementary, while the big one, Mannarino, won with ease :ok

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February Malisse x Stosur Double @ 1.90 (Pinnacle:3pts)

Took this a last night,price may have slightly changed. Fancy Malisse to beat Serra in Memphis, he's a class above on a fast surface. He was beaten well by Raonic last week but I'm guessing he just couldnt get a read on his serve and the kid was on fire all week. Malisse has mostly had a good start to the year bar a defeat to Clement which came on the back of a final in Chennai. Serra not up to much in the last year, really average player IMO. Malisse serve alone should give him the edge here and Serra always gives you some chances on his.

Stosur has not been at her best so far this year, mainly losing to quality players and in general I would look to go against her against strong players on hard surface. But she should be a poor match-up for Errani who struggles against big hitters. The italian mainly a claycourter but she can compete on hard too...final in Pattaya last week but was blown away by Hantuchova. She has a weak serve and not much zip on her groundstrokes so I expect Stosur to overpower her in this one.

GL!

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February Got a few more to run today ... just the one new bet so far. - Albert Montanes (vs Fabio Fognini) x Michael Llodra (vs Tobias Kamke) @ 2.33 with Betfred (4pts) Very appealling odds on this double, which I feel should come through. I think we might see Montanes kick on now after he got his first win on clay against Ramirez-Hidalgo. He's got more consistency and variation than Fognini, and is more stable mentally. I wrote about Fognini earlier in the week, about how he is supremely talented yet a complete nut-case, and that latter attribute often lets him down against solid players. Montanes will frustrate him and get under his skin, and will also bring him to the net, which Fognini doesn't like. It's 1-1 on the H2H but Montanes won their last meeting 6-1 6-1, and I'd expect him to win here. I'll double him up with Llodra, who plays Kamke tomorrow. Kamke dismantled Schoorel in R1 but I believe the Dutchman just collapsed rather than Kamke morphing into a wonderful player. Llodra did the hard part of his draw in beating Benneteau yesterday and I'd expect him to have too much for Kamke in these conditions, which are perfect for Llodra's game. Handicap does look a tad high so I'm happy to throw him in with Albert. :hope

Sorry for that mate. Hopefully you were following me last week. That one was much better :$.
I wish my answer would be yes, but unfortunately it's no. :lol I was doing well by myself last week so there were no need for that. That's kinda strange, because when i start followin someone almost always that man becomes unlucky. :lol But i know you're good punter and better days will come soon. ;)

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February Serra is demolishing Malisse at the moment, which brings me to my single ATP pick for today. (4/10) R.Kendrick to bt. J.Blake @ 1.83 at Pinnacle I agree that I may have underestimated Blake yesterday, but I rate Kendrick highly at the moment. I have seen him play last week and it was some impressive stuff. Mello got enough looks on Blake's serve and Kendrick is above Mello in terms of serve and power, so I cannot see him not getting enough chances. He seems to be the better player at the moment.

Sport Tennis
Event Svetlana Kuznetsova - Francesca Schiavone
Selection Francesca Schiavone
Strength 10/10
Date 17/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.24
Reasoning Svetlana Kuznetsova is favorite but not for me. I think that Francesca Schiavone can win this match. She won last two matches against Svetlana after three sets! Schiavone is in better form lately. She has better ranking too - she is 4, Kuznetsova - 23. Svetlana Kuznetsova had big problems today against Pironkova - lost firstset. Tsvetana Pironkova had 11 break points! For me too many! Francesca Schiavone easy won first match in Dubai - against Shuai Zhang. Maybe she wasn't serving very strong but she has very good return: 1st Return Points Won 57% (21/37) 2nd Return Points Won 68% (15/22) Break Points Won 50% (6/12) Francesca Schiavone plays fantastic in rallies and I see many break points for her in match against Svetlana. I think that she is better player than Kuznetsova and she will win.

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February - Horacio Zeballos (vs. Juan Ignacio Chela) @ 3.04 [Pinnacle] (2/10) I think it's about time Chela's run goes. He scraped through Brazil to the semi-finals, edging his opponents in the first two rounds before beating an injured Bellucci and losing to eventual winner Almagro. He dropped a set to Machado yesterday, and I think Zeballos is as good a clay court player as Machado, if not better. Zeballos holds a 2-1 head-2-head record over his fellow countryman (1-1 on clay), and although he's never 100% fit, he did beat Nalbandian in his last tournament in straight sets. I see value in Zeballos here, and I think it's worth a punt.

Sport Tennis
Event Eduardo Schwank - Juan Monaco
Selection Eduardo Schwank
Strength 10/10
Date 17/02/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 3.61
Reasoning Eduardo Schwank can win this match and odd like 3,61 in pinnacle sports is value for me. He is clay-courter and he likes play on this surface. Yesterday he played against Igor Andreev and won after two sets. He was serving very good: 1st Serve Percentage 64% (41/64) 1st Serve Points Won 78% (32/41) 2nd Serve Points Won 1% (14/23) Three weeks ago he lost against him in Santiago, yesterday easy won. You can ask why? He is Argentinean and tournament is in Buenos Aires - in Argentina. Juan Monaco is without form lately. Yesterday he played against Ivan Navarro - easy won first set but in second he had problems - won after tie-break. Navarro has 4 break points - Monaco saved 4 break points but I think Eduardo Schwank can break his service.

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February Hi guys, 2 more picks for WTA DUBAI: RADWANSKA TO DEFEAT BARTOLI @1.53 bet365 ZVONAREVA TO DEFEAT KLEYBANOVA @1.41 pinnaclesports Bartoli is after an injury and her participation in Dubai was in doubt. She lost to Radwanska all 5 matches they played and she nearly lost today to Bacsinczky who plays similarly to Radwanska but 2 levels below her. Kleybanova is not playing well this year, she is not moving well at all and Zvonareva is a number 2 player in the world for a good reason. Kleybanova to make too many errors in this one.

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February Malisse retired which was a shame after Stosur won so convincingly. Gonna do another double tomorrow. Radwanska x Llodra @ 2.00 (Paddy Power:3pts) Llodra should get the job done, indoor in France he is a really strong player. Perfect conditions for him. Kamke is promising but always liable to throw in loose games and that will be his undoing here. Llodra should be tough enough to break. Radwanska kills Bartoli in the h2h, 5-0. I do think Bartoli's best performance can beat Radwanska(like Wozniacki) but reality is that doesnt happen too much and she usually breaks down under her consistency. She had a huge struggle with Bacsinszky today and was a set and 4-1 down and likewise struggled with Date Krumm in round one. Radwanska hasnt played a great deal this year but reached the 1/4's at the AO losing to Clijsters and beat Svastova in her first match this week. Not a great performance but Sevastova is having a pretty good year so far and works hard on court, can be tough on her day. Radwanska's consistency to come through here. GL!

Re: Tennis - 14-20 February Tailing Crack on Cesca to beat Kuznetsova @Pinnacle 2.130. I am waiting to fade Svetlana from the very start. Aginst Llagoster a-Vives who playedlike as if she were playing for fun on some holliday court, Svetlana made it 64 62. Today lost a set against Pironkova, which does not necessarily mean sloppy tennis, because Pironkova knows how to play now and then. Hoever, Svetlana is infamous for being able to suddenly produce zillions of UE in one single set, and this will be her end tomorrow against Cesca. Also playing Jankovic (SRB) vs Kanepi (EST): Jankovic @Pinnacle 2.330 Personally, I would prefer to fade Jelena, if I only could. However, the way she dismantled Scheepers 62 63 today was quite impressive, and IMO Kaia will not be able to find weapons against Jelena, who apparently arrived in good form to Dubai. edit - anyone following this Wickmayer-Li Na match? How many matchpoints Li Na had in this second set tie-break? I noticed 4, but it could have been more. Unbelievable match.

Taken 5 for tomorrow's action in Dubai. Was considering taking both Azarenka and Zvonareva with their respective handicaps but opted against it. Agnieszka Radwanska vs Anastasija Sevastova- Radwanska -3.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) Suprised to see such a low handicap for Agy here, was expecting at least a 4.5 so happy to go with the 3.5. She recieved a bye into the second round due to her seeding so she'll be fresh and ready to go tomorrow and looking to repeat her good form that she produced here 12 months ago. She has only lost two matches this year, to Clijsters and Azarenka, and her Latvian opponent is nowhere near the standards of either of those two players. Sevastova IMO is being overrated simply due to her AO performance. Granted she made it to the fourth round but she didn't have the toughest draw in the world and eventually fell to Wozniacki. Traditionally her best results have over in America and she does seem to struggle in the humid conditions of the west. In her first round match, she was broken 7 times and it was only because Rodionova was even worse on her service that Sevastova progressed. She actually played on the Dubai courts in a challenger event at the end of last year where Jovanovski beat her after bagelling her in the third set. Just can't see the Pole having too much trouble tomorrow and expect her to knock the Latvian out like she did in their only meeting in the same tournament last year. 6-3 6-3 was the score then, might be something similiar again. Chanelle Scheepers vs Jelena Jankovic- Scheepers +4.5 handicap- 8/11 Bet365- (5/10) Know IAG spoke a bit about the South African in her thrashing of Kirilenko in R1 and again I expect her to perform well again tomorrow. I find it near enough impossible to back Jankovic atm. 2 wins in her last 10 matches is poor for any players, but for a women who is meant to be one of the best in her field it isn't happy reading for the Serb. Losses to Rezai and Peng this year are really bad results and watching her at the AO, she was playing like she'd never played a competitive match before and with a severe lack of confidence. Scheepers should be the complete opposite after her victory over Kirilenko and by now, she's played enough tennis to be completely at home under these conditions. Will be interesting to see how Jankovic adapts to the new conditions. Prefer the handicap to the outright just in case Jankovic does win this one but even if she does, Scheepers could well take a set and make this a close one. Shahar Peer vs Alexandra Dulgheru- Peer -5.5 handicap- Evens Bet365- (4/10) Taking Shahar with the handicap for the second day in a row here. She was extremely comfortable today, winning the majority of the points and having little trouble after securing the first set against Sanchez. Dulgheru, who she plays tomorrow is a consistent player without any major weapons. Peer is better than her in every aspect of them game and although I'm always a little wary with handicaps above the 4.5 region for Peer, she should be good enough on the day to take the match in 2 comfortable straight sets. She beat Dulgheru only last week 6-0 7-5 and see no reason why she can't cover the handicap again. Kaia Kanepi vs Andrea Petkovic- Kanepi -1.5 handicap- 5/6 Bet365- (3/10) Favouring Kanepi to pull through after today's performances. Kanepi wasn't anything special today despite the favouring score but the fact is she was only on court for little over an hour so she will be fresh for tomorrow. Petkovic had a lengthy match with Kerber and in these humid conditions, fitness and freshness is likely to be key. If Kanepi was on court for longer I would be completely against her as when she is tired, her shots are all over the place and her unforced errors go through the roof. Would just fancy her to edge this one though if her hitting is on song and her serve isn't too erratic. She has the ability to either hit Petkovic out of this match, or hit her way out of the tournament. Hopefully it will be the former. Yanina Wickmayer vs Na li- Li -3.5 handicap- 4/5 Bet365- (3/10) Much better price on this handicap over on Pinnacle if you want this handicap. Opposed Wickmayer on the handicap today and see no reason not to do so again today. Wickmayer in truth is fairly fortunate to have got past Jovanovski today. Was 5-3 behind in the first but managed to take 7-5 and then lost the second. Bojana could have easily taken this in two however it wasn't to be. Li will be a step up and she will be fresh and full of confidence after her AO final appearence. Wickmayer was broken 5 times today and saved a further 8 break points. Putting this together with her 8 DFs says to me that something still isn't right with Wickmayer and Li is the kind of player who will exploit these weaknesses it Wickmayer is still struggling with a little niggle. Only thing I would worry about is Li's lack of practise in these conditions so she may take a bit of time to settle in but a 3.5 handicap, break in both set looks fully within her range.
WIN LOSS WIN WIN LOSS Decent profit but not great after Peer and Radwanska just about cleared the handicaps this morning. Thought Scheepers would give Jankovic more of a match, especially after breaking in the first game of the match. Kanepi swung me into the profit though and could have been better if Li had broken Wickmayer at 0-40 in the second set to serve for the handicap. Looks like she could lose that one as Ivanovic did yesterday.