** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: World Snooker Shootout

kevshat

As it says on the advert, it's snooker but not as we know it :loon. I'm sure this tournament will divide the purists from the people who like the new formats. So many different rules to normal. Matches are best of 1 frame, shot clock, 10 minute max per match and a random draw. Better still it's 16/1 the field. Starts on Friday night all live on Sky. Looking forward to it :cheers.

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout Yep, looking forward to it too. I'm taking the lad on Saturday afternoon so I'll get to see 32 of the top 64 players in the world in around 5 hours:D I'm not sure individual match betting is the way forward here, so it may be a case of taking 4 or 5 outrights in the EW market....1/4 odds 1st 4 so basically we need a player to win 4 games to reach the semis and guarantee a return:ok

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout Agree with you there Russ. As much as I'm looking forward to seeing someone new I'll leave the match betting to someone braver than me :lol. Not sure how many outrights I'm going to take but this could be a busy week for me so I'll hit 2 now. 1.5pts ew R.O'Sullivan to win Snooker Shootout 16/1 Coral (1/4 1,2,3,4) If this format doesn't suit O'Sullivan down to the ground I don't know what does. He's bossed the Premier League with the shot clock and the nearest thing to this event and the quirks of it was the Power Snooker and he blitzed that as well. I tend to think Ronnie shows up more in this alternative formats these days and although he didn't do a huge amount wrong in the Masters I do think he'll be up for winning this given it's the first going at it. He looked pretty strong on winning that Power Snooker and I think he'll be equally up for winning this. 10 minutes and the match is done. The format is designed for attacking, aggressive snooker and that's O'Sullivan down to the ground. If we ever see O'Sullivan 16/1 for a tournament like this again he'll either be playing no handed or blindfold. To be fair he could've drawn easier in this first round than Fu but at least it's a danger gone if he comes through. This format just suits him to a tee and for me 16/1 is huge on the genius that is. 1pt ew D.Junhui to win Snooker Shootout 22/1 Coral (1/4 1,2,3,4) Ding's another who should be well suited by this format. He's well drilled in the shot clock and the different element to the game it brings. We also saw in that Power Snooker gig that he's open to new formats and takes them in his stride and I think that'll be the same here. This tournament is a potters game and there ain't many better potters around than Ding. We know he's coming into this tournament in decent nick having won the Masters last week. In that tournament we saw him come out of the traps in style in almost every match. A fast starter who pots balls for fun and isn't slow in doing it has to have every chance in a tournament of this kind. 22/1 is more than a fair price on Ding so I'm happy to be on outright.

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout

Yep' date=' looking forward to it too. I'm taking the lad on Saturday afternoon so I'll get to see 32 of the top 64 players in the world in around 5 hours:D[/quote'] Should be a great day mate - is your lad aware he's the designated driver? :gimme Although I'm looking forward to watching this, I'm not sure it's a betting proposition. There are some tasty prices on the outrights, and I totally agree with Kev that this is Ronnie's sort of tournament, but with 10 minute matches one poor shot can put your man out, no matter how well he's playing. There could possibly be some value in picking a few rank outsiders each-way, as it's a format built for shock results. Will have a think about that and possibly come up with a few.

Should be a great day mate - is your lad aware he's the designated driver? :gimme
Should be fun, he's 10:lol Anyway, I've got it sussed. The missus & my daughter are having 'a day out shopping' in Blackpool. Designated driver sorted;)

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout Judd Trump @ 33/1 EW @ 1/4 1-4 Mark Williams @ 25/1 EW @ 1/4 1-4 Ding Junhui @ 20/1 EW @ 1/4 1-4 Jamie Cope @ 33/1 EW @ 1/4 1-4 I make no apologies for writing no real reasoning for these tips. I agree with you guys above that this is hugely innovative and an exciting bit of fun. Games are so short that results are likely to be highly unpredictable and hard to call. However as in the power snooker a few months ago, the cream did rise to the top and Ronnie won! I feel that this is likely to happen here again, so my four selections are not rank outsiders but players with the style that i feel will be sucesful, combined with a good price. All four players can score heavily and are good potters, and current form is decent, with the prices they are i basically need one of them to get to the semi for close to break even and of course a winner will bring tasty profit! All bets are 0.5 point each way with William Hills. Good luck and enjoy it Russ :ok

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout 2pts e/w Selby to win Snooker Shootout @20/1 with Bet365 1pt e/w Ding to win Snooker Shootout @20/1 with Bet365 2pts e/w Stevens to win Snooker Shootout @66/1 with Bet365 1pt e/w Murphy to win Snooker Shootout @22/1 with Bet365 Very hard to give any real explanation to this bet to be honest. The format is a pure lottery and it is pointless trying to make predictions etc. I've tried to back players who I feel will be able to settle quickly, and perhaps more importantly - are able to get themselves in. Therefore players I feel are decent long potters as well as handy breakbuilders. Ding plays Dale first round, Selby plays Hicks, Murphy plays McLeod, and Stevens plays Dunn. Despite the unpredictable nature of the tournament, I feel that all of these are winnable matches with my selections being worthy favourites in them all. Basically we're relying on chance here, but with the odds available it's well worth taking a few players e/w.

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout I'm taking 6 speculative outrights, staked such that 1 semi finalist will return a profit. The winner or more than 1 semi finalist would make an excellent event:hope T.Drago to win Snooker Shootout, 0.75pts EW @ 80/1 Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4) I was originally leaving Drago out of calculations. However, the news that Liang is unlikely to make this event could/should mean we have a bye into round 2. In an event where 4 wins guarantees us a return, this news means we may be 25% off the way there. Considering he'll be around Evs for the next 3 matches (assuming he gets that far), then 20/1 the place is good enough for me. A very speedy player, he'll be suited by this format too. D.Dale to win Snooker Shootout, 0.5pts EW @ 100/1 Victor Chandler (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4) Close your eyes and imagine. Ok, ok, it's bloody difficult to see Dale going deep in this but the glitz and glamour of this event may just suit the eccentric Welshman. He starts off with a very difficult opponent, recent UK winner, Ding Junhui but this event really could be a toss of the coin. Not sure Ding will be totally suited by the atmosphere and if Dale can produce a shock, the 100/1 on offer may just look a bit tasty. R.Milkins to win Snooker Shootout, 0.75pts EW @ 80/1 Skybet (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4) I rate this lad. Full of self confidence and lightening quick around the table, he's another where this event could be ideal. Not the greatest safety player but decent amongst the balls so worth a shot at a big price. He starts off against Martin Gould, a talented player but again one that may not be ideally suited by the format so I'll take the Gloucester lad to make round 2, and then who knows? T.Ford to win Snooker Shootout, 1pt EW @ 66/1 Totesport (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4) This kid will be massive news soon in the snooker world, he just hasn't quite made the big breakthrough yet. Is a superb break builder and excellent amongst the balls. This format could be taylor made for Tom. Like Mark Selby, he has a pool background so the rules are like a home from home; hit a cushion, shot clock. etc. Tough first match which I think has inflated his price but I like to take on Maguire where possible and, again, if he wins that, we're just 3 games from collection. R.Walden to win Snooker Shootout, 1pt EW @ 50/1 Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4) Shanghai winner in 2008, this North Wales lad has plenty of talent and is another great potter. You've got to fancy his first round match, he faces the steady if unspectacular Joe Perry. He's not afraid of the big boys and proved that in winning his first ranking event. Basically, if Ricky gets in with a chance, he'll be tough to beat and, in an event where form isn't that important, his price looks a little big in an event that he'll relish. J.Trump to win Snooker Shootout, 1pt EW @ 40/1 Bet365 (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4) I'll be there to see his first round game against Dave Harold so he better bloody win! Natural talent destined for great things in snooker but as yet unfulfilled. Can pot anything but not the greatest safety player.....this event's perfect. Is very attacking, has the ability and I'm of the opinion that his tender years (nothing phases him) is a plus. 40's is too big when you have the likes of Ryan Day and Stuart Bingham trading at similar odds. I hope it's time for the young guns to strike.

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout 3 more for me before the off. 0.5pts ew S.Hendry to win Snooker Shootout 66/1 Sportingbet (1/4 1,2,3,4) Stephen Hendry isn't in the greatest nick but this could just suit him. He's still a decent scorer and with a long game unlikely to be as essential in this event then Hendry could still do some damage. He has had history of a one frame format in the old pot black so that won't be completely alien to him. He's also played under the shot clock so that will be familiar to him too. In what could be a bit of a giggle with the emphasis heavily on potting then the Scot looks a big price given that he's still as good as anyone in the balls. 0.5pts ew M.King to win Snooker Shootout 66/1 Bet365 (1/4 1,2,3,4) Mark King has suddenly found some decent snooker and if the draw is kind this week you never know how far he'll get. He played well at the Masters until he had some illness against Cope and he's played well in the Championship League this week. He'd have won one of the groups had he not walked into a 138, 139 and an 80 from Murphy from 2-0 up in the final. King's sure to embrace this event and I think he'll revel in the atmosphere. He looks to have one of the easier opponents in the first round so with a favourable draw you just never know. 0.5pts ew T.Drago to win Snooker Shootout 80/1 Bet365 (1/4 1,2,3,4) Tony Drago could be a live outsider in this event. The tournament is basically pool on a snooker table and the Tornado has been playing 9 ball for years now. He's one who won't need to adjust too much to the new rules. With his natural speed the shot clock isn't going to worry him and if he can pot balls he'll be dangerous this week. There's rumblings that Liang may be a no show in this event but whether that comes to fruition or not I think the rules and format will suit the Maltese man and at 80's I'll pay to see how far the affable veteran can go this weekend.

Yep' date=' looking forward to it too. I'm taking the lad on Saturday afternoon so I'll get to see 32 of the top 64 players in the world in around 5 hours:D[/quote'] Good work bagging a seat in the front row to get the best view of the walk on girls mate :lol:lol.

Good work bagging a seat in the front row to get the best view of the walk on girls mate :lol:lol.
No idea what you're talking about mate:lol Aye, it was a cracking afternoon. Some terrific banter, great view (of the snooker). Lad enjoyed it too, got autographs of Murphy, Doherty, Perry amongst others:ok Funny as fcuk when Michaela set the colours up incorrectly (green on brown spot and vice versa). Chap shouts out, "It's a good job Andy Gray isn't here":lol:lol

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout This has been great fun to watch! That Drago match was unbelievable! By my quick reckoning we all have some left, so just need one of the following for a tasty thread winner! Ronnie and King (Kev) Selby (infamous) Milkins and Trump (Russ) Trump (me) I'm not holding my breath! but it's made it interesting to watch! Good luck

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout One thing that I've found profitable (but did it on very small stakes and to keep interest in the tournament) in this format is in-play betting... When a player is at the table and has made a break of 20 and the next shot looks difficult, you back the player that's in his seat at around 2/1... When the other player gets his chance and starts climbing back to the lead, you back the one sitting down at around the same odds and are guaranteed a profit. Obviously, this doesn't work that often as the players get used to the format. I backed Mark Selby in this because of his pool background. But really its a lucky dip.

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout Been enjoying this, and going to try a couple tonight Sport Snooker/Pool Event Snooker Shootout Selection O'Sullivan outright Strength 10/10 Date 30/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Skybet @ 3.25 Reasoning Really hard to see beyond O'Sullivan in this. He looks so good, and even over 1 frame has a big edge. His opponent must feel a lot of pressure playing against him, 1 bad shot and it's done. Got Dunn in the quarters finals, shouldn't be much of a problem, then I don't think it matters who he draws after that. Likely winner, should be under 3.00 I feel. Sport Snooker/Pool Event Trump v Milkins Selection Milkins Strength 10/10 Date 30/01/2011 Bookmaker/Price Betfred @ 2.20 Reasoning Stand out price looks too big. Milkins doesn't get on TV much but has been playing great so far, and looking very composed. The format clearly suits his style and it's working for him. Trump looks good too, and has played well so far. Really tough game, and this much above evens appeals.

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout Profit guaranteed for me, with Trump & Milkins facing each other:nana. Bit gutted though as I fancied their chances of making the semis anyway. Cheering on King & Ronnie for you, Kev....and hope Campbell can win to get Robbo out:hope Looking forward to it. Been a great weekend of snooker:beer

R.Milkins to win Snooker Shootout' date= 0.75pts EW @ 80/1 Skybet (1/4 odds 1-2-3-4) I rate this lad. Full of self confidence and lightening quick around the table, he's another where this event could be ideal. Not the greatest safety player but decent amongst the balls so worth a shot at a big price. He starts off against Martin Gould, a talented player but again one that may not be ideally suited by the format so I'll take the Gloucester lad to make round 2, and then who knows?
20/1 place already secured :clap:clap.

1.5pts ew R.O'Sullivan to win Snooker Shootout 16/1 Coral (1/4 1' date=2,3,4) If this format doesn't suit O'Sullivan down to the ground I don't know what does. He's bossed the Premier League with the shot clock and the nearest thing to this event and the quirks of it was the Power Snooker and he blitzed that as well. I tend to think Ronnie shows up more in this alternative formats these days and although he didn't do a huge amount wrong in the Masters I do think he'll be up for winning this given it's the first going at it. He looked pretty strong on winning that Power Snooker and I think he'll be equally up for winning this. 10 minutes and the match is done. The format is designed for attacking, aggressive snooker and that's O'Sullivan down to the ground. If we ever see O'Sullivan 16/1 for a tournament like this again he'll either be playing no handed or blindfold. To be fair he could've drawn easier in this first round than Fu but at least it's a danger gone if he comes through. This format just suits him to a tee and for me 16/1 is huge on the genius that is.
...and that one mate:clap Milkins v Ronnie semi final:\

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout Top, top event. Really enjoyed even though I just failed to land the big one. However 15.75pts returned from 10pts staked, for a +5.75pts profit. Pleased with that, roll on the German Masters:nana Well done Nigel Bond, who the hell could have picked him?:eek

Re: Snooker: World Snooker Shootout Unlucky mate. Still a cracking return for you though :clap:clap. Half a point loss on the outrights for me but a thoroughly enjoyable weekend of snooker I thought. Have to confess I wasn't overly keen on power snooker but I liked this a lot and hope it's a regular thing. Have to say you could've given me 64 picks and I still wouldn't have picked Bond to win :lol. Figuratively speaking, I'll see you all in Germany on Wednesday :ok.