** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Doyle Brunson has ruined my life...

Oskar

OK so maybe he wasnt doing it on purpose but Ive just finished reading his power poker book, the so called 'bible' of poker. I can honestly say that is has done my game no good at all. Im now looking at AQ, AJ as trash hands, getting excited and raising the fcuk out of 67 suited, anyone else read this and think that its just not applicable in this day and age, what with internet players more aggressive etc??

Re: Doyle Brunson has ruined my life... His liking of 67s etc over AQ and AJ and all that is because AQ and AJ are hands that can get you into a lot of trouble. If you hold AJ or (even worse) call a raise with AJ and the board comes A102 then you are either going to win a tiny pot or lose a huge one. I far prefer playing speculative hands that can make something extremely strong than AJ and all its mates. Infact I dont mind calling raises with the likes of 67s but I would NEVER call a decent raise from anyone but a total fanny with AJ. However I certainly would not raise with 67s preflop in a net cash game - I want my opponents to be in the pot not out because if you make a hand with 67s then it is going to be a powerful one that can take down a big pot. As for doyles "style" of betting every flop basically, well I would say this is not a bad stlye in live games (but even then it is volatile - take note of his quote in the book "I have won and LOST a million playing like this") but on the net it is a disaster. If you bet every flop on the internet 99/100 you will be called by some fud on an overcard draw/backdoor flush door/some other crazy "made" hand draw and will lose. Doyles style can only work in games where people fold Jez

Re: Doyle Brunson has ruined my life... yeah i think that i forget it was written quite a while back, and for games like jezza said where people fold. Maybe I was being a little hard on him saying it ruined my game, I mean hes made millions using it so it cant be that bad!! I think the skill is to read about other peoples styles etc and then using them find your own. Back to the drawing board for me then.