** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series

kevshat

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Two ahead of the first match also: 5pts England to win EVS @ Bet365 Similar to the Twenty20, I can't quite understand why England aren't favourites here. They're the better team and have top players coming back into their ODI squad, including skipper Strauss. Australia have lost 6 of their last 9 matches at the 'G and are resting Peter Siddle and Mitchell Johnson. I fancy them to take his and at EVS, I'm happy to back them with my own money. 5pts Total Match Sixes - 4 or Less 5/6 Sportingbet Barring one freak match against the West Indies (where something ridiculous like 13 sixes were hit) this line has not been cleared in the last 10 ODI's at the MCG. As far as I'm aware, this is the biggest stadium in world cricket and it just doesn't bring that many sixes at all. There are 6 hitters in both line-ups tomorow but I am still confident that the Unders will come in. There were only 6 in the Twenty20 where over 300 runs were scored so I think there is scope for this to come in.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series 1st ODI. Personally think Australia will win the opener, Tait caused enough problems when brought into the side, the last time they met in England. However just going for a couple of top bats. Aus top scorer - David Hussey @6/1 Skybet Hussey's place for the world cup squad is by no means booked, however he is playing at his home ground, a big score here will book his place on the plane to India. Eng top scorer - Ian Bell - 4/1 Stan James Bell looks set to bat at 3, in cracking form during the test series and displaying his range of strokes in the 2 t20's im hopeful he'll have the time to build and accumulate a decent score.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series 3 for me. 3pts England Highest 1st 15 overs 10/11 Blue Square I like England here. Australia will open the bowling with Brett Lee and Shaun Tait and while they are quick and destructive, their pace will also go for a few runs too. Edges, middle of the bat shots, deflections, anything like that will go for runs such is the speed they bowl at. Andrew Strauss has become pretty adept at piercing and indeed going over the top of the infield in the powerplay and Steven Davies' natural game is exactly that. Ian Bell coming in at 3 is in the form of his life too and he showed in the twenty20's that he can score quickly. Shane Watson and Brad Haddin both like to get on with it straight up but they opened against Sri Lanka at the G a few months ago and lost the 15 over match. England's seamers are all pretty tight so they won't be easy to get away for boundaries. Michael Clarke looks like he'll bat at 3 which will be nice. I'm happy that England will exploit the extra pace Lee and Tait provide and win the 15 over bet in this opening ODI. 4pts B.Haddin's Performance Pts - 35&Over 8/11 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 25pts per stumping. I like Brad Haddin in this opening role. He's covered this total in his last 3 ODI's on this ground, the last two of which he opened the batting. We've seen in the test series that he's more than good enough to score 35 on the wide open spaces this ground provides us with. He's also had catches and stumpings on this ground in past ODI's too so there's scoring methods there even if he doesn't cover this with the bat. He's in excellent touch with the bat though and you just feel if he gets in he's going to cover 35pts with the bat. I think this wicket will turn though so points behind the stumps aren't beyond him. There's enough for Haddin to use to cover 35pts tonight. 3pts M.Yardy's Performance Pts - 31&Over Evs Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Michael Yardy's performance is a bit on the low side to me here. I'm certain his spin will be a factor here. He's bowled well in the twenty20's and I think this wicket will turn too. Xavier Doherty took 4 wickets against a strong playing spin Sri Lankan side in November and Steve Smith took 3 for against the West Indies in the ODI prior to that on this ground. So I think this will turn. As well as that, Yardy is a pretty decent batsman. He's got a half century against Australia in this format of the game and even though he'll bat lower down than usual he's still got every chance of getting a bat on a good cricket wicket. He won't be too far away from the bat so with 3 scoring methods I think 31pts is well within Yardy's reach.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series With the news that Johnson is in I'm going with one more. 3pts 1st ODI - Over 14.5 wides 5/6 William Hill This bet has taken an obvious boost with the news that Mitchell Johnson is playing instead of Shaun Tait. Tait can bowl wides but nobody does wides quite like Mitchell Johnson. In fact, Australia sling a few wides down at the G traditionally. In the last 4 ODI's on this ground Australia have bowled 12 wides, 5 (without Johnson), 11 and 12. So for whatever reason the radar is often off course for the Aussies here. England are a lot tidier when it comes to wides but Chris Tremlett is in their side tonight and his radar has been known to be slightly off, particularly to left handers of which Australia have one in Hussey. He's never 3 wickets wide like Johnson but he does sneak down the leg side from time to time, as Shahzad occasionally does too. Day night game, pressure on, swinging ball, I think it all equates to a few wides tonight.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Let's say Mitchell runs in to bowl to Strauss, slings it 'three wickets' down leg and it beats Haddin and goes for four. Does that count as 5 wides or does there literally have to be 15 wide balls for that to come in?

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Two for me: Pietersen Top ENG Bat @ 4.50 Pietersen always performs well against Australia and I thought he looked good in the first T20 game. He should come in with some overs to spare and his fast scoring and the big MCG ground will give him every chane. M Hussey Top AUS Bat @ 6.20 He will likely come in at 6 but I don't think that will hurt him too much. Watson still can't pass 60 and is liable to run someone out on the way. Hussey's strengths are placement and timing and at the MCG these shots are most often rewarded with two rather than one. The good value Hussey will get for his shots give me confidence here.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series

I'm not sure if this is a stupid question or not' date=' but I'm going to ask it anyway. Let's say Mitchell runs in to bowl to Strauss, slings it 'three wickets' down leg and it beats Haddin and goes for four. Does that count as 5 wides or does there literally have to be 15 wide balls for that to come in?[/quote'] That's 5 wides. A wide is the wide ball and any subsequent runs off it :ok.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Jesus Christ just woken up to find out the result. We got 294 and they still chased it down by only losing four wickets?! NINE sixes?! Fxck me. -10.00 for the first match, the only positive being Watson's 161pts. Played any winners, looks like Kev had a few there and Crouch had a Top Bat. Nice :clap

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Had a shocker in the 1st ODI but I'm going in with four ahead of tomorows 2nd. 4pts England to Win at 11/10 Bet365 I still think England are the superior side in limited-overs cricket. It's not every day that a team posts a 1st Innings score of 294 at the MCG and despite losing fairly comfortably, I think the margin of the loss didn't actually correspond with the overall performance. We still have a few players in good form and a lot of players capable of winning matches by themselves. The worry here is the bowling attack, without Jimmy and Broady our attack lacks abit of experience and looks abit toothless. We did only take 4 wickts at the 'G which is abit worrying however, despite saying that, at this price I'm happy to take on England to recover and push forward in this series. 4pts England to have the Highest 15 Over Total 10/11 Sportingbet England took this in the 1st ODI with a score of 102 after 15 overs which is pretty impressive. This was at the biggest stadium in the world too. Matt Prior has been drafted in to replace Steven Davies which only strengthens this line as both Strauss and Prior naturally score quickly. Next up for England is Trott and Pietersen who again get the job done when needed and at speed. Tait returns tomorow so there'll be plenty of pace onto the bat to exploit early on and we all know anything abit too straight will be despatched with ease by Strauss. Priors inclusion also means a Left-hand, Right-Hand opening pair for England which always upsets bowlers rhythms. I fancy England to take this one despite Warner and Watson lining up for the Aussies. Clarke comes in after those two and in the 1st ODI, he was in for 57 balls without hitting a boundary. All over it. 4pts Tim Bresnan (Player Performance) - 40 & Over @ 5/6 Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch, 20 pts per wicket, 25pts per stumping No Anderson or Broad actually make Tim Bresnan England's strike bowler. He took the new ball in the first ODI and took two wickets which would clear this line all day long. He is fairly handy with the ball generally bowling decent lines and at a good pace too. We saw in the test series and in the 1st ODI that he can take wickets and what makes this appealing too is the fact that he isn't a complete tool with the bat. If he only takes one wicket tomorrow, he is definitely capable of hitting 20 runs with the bat at #8 (ODI average of 25.64). I think he can clear this with the ball alone, if he doesn't a few runs is well within his reach. 1pt Top England Batsman Jonathon Trott 11/2 Sportingbet Trott is a good player there's not many who would deny. He can definitely score runs and has a ODI average sitting comfortably over 40. Recent history of ODI's at Hobart have been fairly low-scoring and the Top Batsman in each innings generally has been someone from the Top Order who effectively can dig in and stay there for 15/20 overs. Trott is the best in Englands Top 5 at doing that and he has a good disciplined head on his shoulders. Decent price from Sportingbet too at 11/2 I'm happy to take this on with minimal stakes. Never nailed a top bat before, I'll be rooting for Trotty here.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series 2nd ODI England @ 11/10 Bet365 Well again I have to take England here at odds against, I feel they posted a very good score in the 1st match, its not easy to get big totals on that ground, it took a brilliant knock from Shane Watson to defeat England. This is not a biased view that I keep backing England, simply I feel they are better in most areas and that should shine through when you keep playing each other, as it has done already.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series 3 for me. I was thinking about taking England but I'm in effect on them for the 6-1 so I'll give it a miss. 3pts A.Strauss' Match Runs - 41 or more 7/5 Blue Square Andrew Strauss has passed this total in 6 of his last 7 ODI innings and 7 of his last 9. He's in excellent record with the bat and has completely transformed his game with the invention of the powerplays and his elevation to open in the one day format of the game. His runs in this 7 matches apart from one innings have come at a strike rate of 90 or more which goes to show the change in aggression in the England captain. England played a warm up match here before the Ashes so these conditions won't be completely alien to him. A new opening partner might be of detriment to this bet but Strauss and Prior have opened the innings before. There were a couple of ways of playing Strauss here. Over 29.5 runs with Paddy Power or his performance at 36 but I think the value lies in this Blue Square line. With the form Strauss has been in all summer and the example he leads with when batting I'm happy to take the England captain to pass 40 in this 2nd ODI. 3pts 2nd ODI - Over 14.5 wides 5/6 William Hill I took this bet in the last match and I see no reason to desert it now. Admittedly it would be helpful if the Barmy Army's favourite, Mitchell Johnson was playing but we've got the second prize. Serial slinger Shaun Tait is expected to be back and at his pace if he slings one of those clangers down we could be collecting in 5's quite easily. England have changed their opening partnership to a left hand/right hand partnership and that can often mess bowlers up. With Tait likely to open the bowling we could bag a few cheap wides early doors. As I mentioned on Sunday, Australia bowl a lot of wides for the supposed best side in the world. England have to make a change in their bowling line up with James Tredwell expected to come in for Graeme Swann who is injured. Tredwell could be nervous or over eager to impress and sling the odd ball down the leg side, particularly with the left handed Marsh expected to be in the middle order. 17 wides in the 1st ODI and so I'm happy to take the same line here. 1pt S.Watson Top Australia Bowler 13/2 Blue Square I think this is a big price. Although Mitchell Johnson is totally hit and miss he does have that knack of taking wickets so he'll be a loss to Australia as well as England :lol. So someone will need to take the wickets and that man could be Shane Watson. Looking back at the last few ODI's on this ground the genuine pace options appear to be expensive with the best bowlers here being the slower swingy bowlers. In the last ODI here with South Africa, Ntini and Hilfenhaus were the top wicket takers. Prior to that Collingwood bagged wickets for England here the last time we played here. Watson's the right pace to get a bit of swing in the expected cloudy conditions and we saw in the twenty20's the danger his bowling possesses if it's not treated properly. At 13/2 with Australia still looking likely to go in here with 4 main bowlers I'll have a small play on Watson to top the Aussie bowling charts.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series I also think England should win this one. Looking at the line-up for tomorrow the only danger in Australia is Watson, after him Clarke, White, Smith and David Hussey dont look as dangerous as KP, Morgan, Bell and Trott. Australia expects too much from Watson, he is not going to make 160 in every ODI of the series...

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Apparently I have 3-0 in cricket bets so far, hope the run continues. 10pts (7/10) England to win the 2nd ODI @ 2.10 at Bet365 England are obviously the underdogs after the first match. Not for me though. I think they have the better line-up and that the odds are just an overreaction to Watson. Some days have passed and I am not sure he can put in another great performance. And without him, Australia are pretty much average. Odds against are nice and I will take it.

2nd ODI England @ 11/10 Bet365 Well again I have to take England here at odds against, I feel they posted a very good score in the 1st match, its not easy to get big totals on that ground, it took a brilliant knock from Shane Watson to defeat England. This is not a biased view that I keep backing England, simply I feel they are better in most areas and that should shine through when you keep playing each other, as it has done already.
LOST Woke up and Australia were seven down with 140 odd runs on the ball, thought lovely but not to be. England really showed signs of cricket they used to play today, it was very poor letting Australia get up to 230 in the first place, having got them 8 down you can't be letting them score another 90 runs. Then the chase was diabolical, just altogether wrong choices at the wrong times, now a big hill to climb to get back into this one day series. You also want to be going into the World Cup off the back of a confident one day series v Australia. As a fan I feel slightly let down by that performance and I do wonder if its to much cricket, lots of players picking up injuries isn't there. I don't want to be to critical as England have played very well in Australia however I wouldn't want to be on either side for the World Cup, India or the Sri Lankans with Murali going out on a high.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series I actually can't believe England lost again in this ODI. I watched the whole Australian innings and was completely baffled as to how we had them on the ropes at 142/8 and still let them get 230. Eight of the 10 Australian partnerships were below 12 runs, yet they still hit in excess of 200?! Madness. Clouded what would have been a clean sweep for me really as everything else came in. We walked the 15 Over line and Bresnan took 2 wickets as I thought he would. Annoyingly Ian Bell scored exactly the same as Trotty so in the event of a tie Sportingbet half your stakes. All in all +5.224 for the ODI and -4.776 for the series. Watson took a wicket and held on to two catches adding another 40-odd points to his 161 from the 1st innings so my outright on him looks good. England need to start winning games though this is ridiculous. Played any other winners :clap

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Good work Bigmac. Small 1.5pt loss for me but happy with the plays on what is my least favourite ground. Back into good territory for me for the next 4 matches so hopefully I'll produce some decent returns. With the 2pt loss on the correct scores I'm now +0.45 for the thread.

4 pts - MH Yardy (Player Performance) - 32 and over - 5/6 Bet365

I just think this is way to low here for someone who both bats at 7 (22 runs last ODI)and also bowls near enough all 10 overs per match. Last match he totalled 72 points, which i find strange this line is at what it is. I can see him clearing this line by bowling as i do think the Aussies still struggle with the way he bowls and adding the pitch at the SCG offers both spin and pace i can see Yardy causing them a bit of trouble.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series I've been watching Bet365's line on Yardy since the start of the series. In the first match it was 26 and in the last one it was 31 and he has cleared them both. I still am unsure why they keep it so low because as you say, he always bowls his over allotment and is handy with the bat. Very strange. May follow you, will add my lines later.

I've been watching Bet365's line on Yardy since the start of the series. In the first match it was 26 and in the last one it was 31 and he has cleared them both. I still am unsure why they keep it so low because as you say' date=' he always bowls his over allotment and is handy with the bat. Very strange. May follow you, will add my lines later.[/quote'] It was 31 in the 1st game. I backed it in this thread :ok. He only scored 19pts.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series I will go with England again, I cannot see Australia finding another guy making a heroic innings saving the rest. 10pts (flat stake, confidence 6/10) England to bt. Australia (3rd ODI) @ 2.10 at Ladbrokes I still trust England and I think they will actually bounce back now. They have been in winning position twice, but Australia always found a hero that saved them. But I doubt they can pull that trick again. England will be more focused for this one and they have the quality to take it.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Havent got too much time as im off out so will keep it short and sweet but i will take three in the third odi. 6pts England to bt Australia 11/10 Corals There really isnt too much between the two sides if im honest okay England find themselves 2-0 down in the series but they really should have won one of them if not both and on a pitch that should suit them here and at odds against im more than happy to take them to bounce back. 1 pt Michael Clarke Top Aussie batsman 9/2 Corals So Clarke has had a shocker this year, but i feel this could be the day when he bounces back.With a deck that is likely to play a little slow this will suit him down to ground.He has a good record at the ground and this may well be his day to find his form. 1pt Ian Bell Top England batsman 9/2 Corals Belly has looked in top nick all tour, as he has done in the first two odi where he made starts but failed to go on.Think its only a matter of time before we see him go on and make a big match winning score and Sydney tomorrow morning might well be that day.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Oh well that has shut me up. Could've been the Twenty20's where it started at 26 come to think of it. But anyway there's not much that is screaming out at me ahead of tomorow other than the following: 5pts England to win @ 11/10 Bet365 I may sound like a broken record but I will continue to back England in these matches especially at these odds. I can't help but feel that the two Australian wins have come only virtue of two big individual performances. I've watched both the ODI's and they haven't really played well as a team and the injuries in their side ahead of this match mean I can't look past England here. Bresnan is out for England but on the flipside, Johnson is out for the Aussies alongside long term absentees in the form of Ponting, Hussey etc. They will probably line up with both Xavier Doherty and Steven Smith who full me with no confidence whatsoever. England to finally get one for me. 1.5pts Ajmal Shahzad Top England Bowler 2/1 Sportingbet I'm a fan of Ajmal Shahzad. He is a good front-line bowler and he has a good wicket-taking record. He can be a bit erratic at times but he generally bowls decent lines with good pace too. He bowled three top-order batsman on Friday which is fairly rare in this day and age and he will almost certainly take the new ball tomorow. Bresnan is out which slightly increases his chances of taking wickets and I think if he bowls a good early spell and picks up one or two, he'll take this line. He has a good yorker on him too so if he comes on later on in the innings and bowls at the tail-enders, I'm confident he can pick up 2 or more wickets tomorrow.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Australia v England - 3rd ODI - Total Match Sixes Under (5.5) @ 5/6 6 points @ hills First of all the recent stats back this bet up. Only twice in the last few years has this line been cleared, on both occasions the lower order have hit a few sixes. Both teams have players capable of clearing this line such as Pieterson, Morgan, White, Watson, Hussey - however White and Hussey have looked out of form and with a weakened bowling line up KP and Morgan's time at the crease may be shorter than they would like. England have a top 5 where only KP is a recognised regualr 6 hitter, don't get me wron Strauss, Prior, Trott and Bell can hit sixes but their natural game is more 4's than 6's. I hope these guys will score quick runs but deal in 4's rather than go over the ropes. The wicket is expected to be on the slower side so the likes of Clarke and Trott should enjoy manouevering the bal around. Trott top bat for England - 9/2 - 1 point Hills Trott should have plenty of time to achieve a good score and his role in this team is to score big at a run a ball. He bats sensibly but at a good rate and at 9/2 is a nice price for a number 3 batsman who is in good touch. As I alluded to in the above bet, i also feel the pitch will suit him down to the ground. England to win 11/10 - 5 points - Hills England have been a bit up and down but have produced some good cricket in both matches. The top 6 batsmen all look good to me (even though i'd like to see Colly bat his way into form), Shahzad looks tasty, we are definately missing Jimmy and Swann is a blow. However Australia just dont look right to me. They have been fortunate enough to have Watson and MArsh batting out of their skins in the last 2 matches, without those two scores we would be looking at very different odds - 11/10 looks a gift to me. Hopefully it will be our turn for a big innings from one of our batsmen to catupult our innings from a good one into a winning total.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series 3 for me for this 3rd ODI. 4pts S.Watson's Performance Pts - 56&Over Evs Bet365 Points are scored as follows: 1pt per run, 10pts per catch & 20pts per wicket. Shane Watson has been in brilliant form all summer and although this is a line that looks high I think he has a very good chance of covering it. He was shot out quickly in Hobart but the ball was seaming all over the shop. It won't do that here at Sydney which is Watson's home ground. He scored 40 and took 2 wickets here in an ODI earlier in the summer against Sri Lanka and in the game before that here he took 1/10 and scored 67. So he's got previous of covering this total. His 161 in the 1st ODI shows he's in great nick with the bat and his wickets in the twenty20's show he's bowling well. He was even bowling in the batting powerplay at Hobart which is helpful. Throw in the chances of catches and there's more than enough potential for Watson to cover 56pts. 1pt X.Doherty Top Australia Bowler 13/2 Sportingbet Spinners generally go better on these slow, sticky ODI wickets at the SCG and Xavier Doherty is the spinner I think can do the most damage with the ball for Australia. Smith doesn't seem to bowl much and I don't see Hussey getting the turn at the pace that he bowls at that Doherty does. One thing we've got on our side with Doherty is KP seems to see it as a challenge to slog him to shut up his critics about playing left arm spin. But he doesn't always get it right and it would be no surprise should Doherty bag KP. I think the spinners will be the toughest to face on this surface so at a very appealing 13/2 I'll have a dabble on Doherty to take the most English wickets here. 0.5pts ew B.Lee Top Australia Batsman 50/1 Coral (1/5 1,2,3) Brett Lee is a big price but we've seen in the past he's no mug with the bat and batting on his home ground he should know the wicket and conditions very well. Australia's last two ODI's here their scores have been 225 and 210 and that side had the likes of Ponting and Hussey in it. With the dominance England have had over the Aussie batsmen this summer you wouldn't be surprised to see another low 200 score from Australia here. In the 225, James Hopes came 3rd batting at 7 while in the 210, Steve Smith made it to 3rd at 7 with Johnson not far away at 8. Brett Lee will come in at 8 for the Aussies in this match but it's shown that he won't be completely out of the game if those efforts are followed. Given that I rate Smith slightly above useless at this level then Brett Lee's effectively batting at 7 so with that in mind combined with the fact this is his home ground I'll have a go on the Aussie paceman at 50/1.

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series England have come in pretty dramatically to 10/11 in places from 6/5 at around mid-afternooon yesterday time. Pietersen apparently won't play though due to an 'injured groin' being more than likely replaced by Collingwood. All of a sudden the Unders on the 6's line looks a touch more tasty...

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series Jesus England once again throw an ODI away from a winning position and continue to lose me money. Somehow I didn't actually hit 'confirm' on sportingbet with the bet on Shahzad being Top Bowler so I didn't lose as much as originally thought. Lost a heap on England though and annoyingly, they won't win the series now so my outright looks like a dud. The only positive being Watson added another 39pts to his series putting him somewhere around the 250 mark now. Played any winners from yesterday :clap

Re: Cricket: Australia vs England - 2xT20s & ODI series I feel really sorry for you guys losing money on England. The least England could do is pick the right side. If Matthew Prior is an ODI opener I'm the next Donald Bradman. Add to that the fact that it's a complete and utter travesty that a shitheap like Luke Wright is even in this England squad ahead of Ravi Bopara being one thing, to put him in for a spinner at Sydney of all places for him to bat at 8 and bowl 2 overs is completely insane. I thought England were beyond those naive team selections. It appears not. As for game 3, for me it was a shambles. A near miss with Doherty and Watson flattering to deceive cost me 6pts so I'm back to -8.55pts overall now with the England handicap a loser.