Announcements
*** New Last Man Standing Competition - Win up to £1500 Annually - See Competitions Forum ***
Sign in to follow this  
Spooner

Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan One for me tonight. 4pts M.King to beat J.Cope Evs Blue Square Backing Mark King at even money isn't usually to be recommended but I think it has it's merits this evening. I thought King was excellent against Selby in the first round. Coming back from 2-0 down to win 6-4 against someone as good a match player as Selby is not shoddy at all. King put in a 139 and 4 other 50 breaks in a real burst of scoring which must've given him so much confidence to progress through in this event. Contrast that with Jamie Cope who if he wasn't awful he wasn't a lot better in his opening round match. Luckily for him Shaun Murphy was abysmal. Now Cope's better than that. A lot better in fact but he hasn't had much time to put his poor performance last night right going into tonight. I think King enjoys the one table situation. He doesn't get to play in that environment too often so he relishes it and being local it's a good tournament for him. I'm not sure Cope is completely happy with his game at the minute. Even prior to last night a couple of his results weren't up to scratch. I think King will win this and if Cope doesn't improve King could even win 6-1 or 6-2 if he repeats his performance of the 1st round. King for me.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Well, that was a disappointing afternoon. I really thought Dott would make more of a fight of it and he had his chances, especially towards the end of the match, but never looked like taking them. It's been a tough week so far and that loss plunges be back down to -1.61 for the tournament. Onto tonight and I'm in agreement with ash here. 5pts - Mark King to beat Jamie Cope @ 2.04 with Betfair If King plays anywhere near the level he reached against Selby then he's got this match in the bag. Even if he doesn't, I still fancy him to see off Cope, who looked a bag of nerves in winning his scrappy encounter with Shaun Murphy last night. There's never been any doubt about Jamie's ability but he tends to look a bit lost on the big occasions and his game is riddled with self doubt. King, on the other hand, makes the absolute most out of his more limited talent and showed remarkable composure under pressure when beating Selby. I can't imagine he'll score as heavily as he did in that match again (although he has been working hard on his breakbuilding recently) but I do think he'll get plenty of chances courtesy of Cope's fragile confidence and slightly ropey tactical game. At even money, I think King just has to be backed.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan WTF is going on??? Yesterday Cope couldn`t keep the cue straight. And today is like no. one of professional ranking. I can`t belive that Cope is not bookie moneymaker or something fishy is going on. If You call Higgins a scam, how will You call Murphy and today`s star Cope :puke

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Annoying couple of nights for me with poor performances gifting Cope two wins. -4.12 overall now. One for the afternoon match which should be a cracker. 4pts M.Allen vs N.Robertson - Over 6.5 50+ breaks Evs Skybet I can't see much safety being played here. Both are superb long potters and both love playing attacking, aggressive snooker. Both score heavily when they are in the balls so I think we're going to get a barrage of decent breaks here. Allen played well in establishing a lead against Ronnie and although he tensed up a bit with the line in sight that's understandable. He'll have to score well to put pressure on the world champ here. Robertson has been scoring like a dream all season and the only way this bet looks like it's going to lose is if this ends 6-2 or worse. I don't think it will. I think this could be a tit for tat I'll take the lead, no I'll come back at you sort of match. I think we'll get 10 or 11 frames here and that gives us enough back up and time to get the requisite 7 50's in here.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan

WTF is going on??? Yesterday Cope couldn`t keep the cue straight. And today is like no. one of professional ranking. I can`t belive that Cope is not bookie moneymaker or something fishy is going on. If You call Higgins a scam' date=' how will You call Murphy and today`s star Cope :puke[/quote'] I'd call it unpredictable and annoying mate, but I certainly wouldn't be shouting fix. Cope is a decent player but he blows hot and cold. Unfortunately, he chose tonight to blow very hot indeed whilst King could only show glimpses of the form that saw Selby off in the last round. Such is life unfortunately - otherwise, we'd all be very rich indeed.

I'd call it unpredictable and annoying mate' date=' but I certainly wouldn't be shouting fix. Cope is a decent player but he blows hot and cold. Unfortunately, he chose tonight to blow very hot indeed whilst King could only show glimpses of the form that saw Selby off in the last round. Such is life unfortunately - otherwise, we'd all be very rich indeed.[/quote'] I agree. King was clearly ill and Cope did nothing special but capitalised more often than not on anything King left him. That's sport.

What about Murphy? Even i could beat him on that match. C`mon' date=' he blew so much really, really simple balls. I can`t belive it.[/quote'] Stop talking through your pocket. Tell me the last time he performed well at Wembley. I admit he was poor but to suggest there was something fishy going on is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Just because Higgins has done it (or maybe has:lol), it doesn't mean they're all the same.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Murphy? You are aware that he's a God-botherer right? :loon Horrible day yesterday and I'm down to -6.61 for the week now. Still determined to try to finish this unpredictable Masters in profit though and I'll take one for this afternoon's match. 4pts - Mark Allen v Neil Robertson - over 9.5 frames @ 1.95 with Betfair Robertson breezed through his 1st round match against Hendry, missing out on a couple of centuries along the way but generally just looking too strong for the former champion. I said earlier that he seems to be totally unfazed by the weight of expectation on him as world champ and he must be really fancying his chances here as the only top 8 seed left in the draw. Mark Allen was more inconsistent in beating Ronnie but still knocked in a couple of 80+ breaks and showed terrific bottle to finish the Rocket off. He should be full of confidence after that win and he's certainly got the long-potting and breakbuilding game that can put Robbo under the sort of pressure that Hendry couldn't apply. There's always the danger that either of these guys could just hit a purple patch and run through this match 6-0 or 6-1, but I fancy it'll be a closer affair than that. Both have the bottle needed to produce their best snooker under extreme pressure and I think this could be the match of the round.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan The thing is this is the Top 16 in the world so of course everyone can beat everyone, how would you prove its fixed? I don't think its fixed but I'm keeping my money in my pocket for the rest of the tournament as the results are just not the way I would of called the games and there is a good chance that it will continue for the rest of the tournament. We can still enjoy by watching it, remember there are other things to bet on this weekend, if you don't feel comfortable with the way the tournament is going then just leave the betting out of it.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Back to -3.94pts. Anyway who finishes in profit here will deserve credit, that's for sure:lol. I expect the best match of the week so far this afternoon. I can't wait and am taking 2. M.Allen v N.Robertson, over 9 frames 4pts @ 11/10 Bet365 M.Allen v N.Robertson, 2 or more match centuries 3pts @ 7/4 Skybet I'm with WS here on the overs. We have a cracking match in store and whoever wins here must be supremely confident of making the final. Mark Allen will be buoyed by a great win over Ronnie. No matter which Ronnie turns up, to beat him is a massive boost and he did it pretty well too. What I was impressed with was the way Ronnie came back to 4 each, but Mark again pulled away to win. Robbo wasn't at his very best against Hendry but again did enough. He knows he has a fine chance of winning this now and I expect the form that made him world champ to come out this afternoon. I find it very difficult to pick a winner in this and am sure we'll get the required 10 frames to bring the overs in here, with a winning margin of 2 or under. In terms of breaks, these 2 are amongst the most attack minded players in the game who just want to get in amongst the balls. Heavy scorers too, neither of them managed a century in the opening round but that will surely change here. Both will feel more settled (just look at Ding and his 3 tons) and there's every chance of seeing a top quality match with lots of '1 visit' frames. If we do get the 10 or 11 frames here, I expect to see them build on the 4 80+ breaks they scored between them in the 1st round and hit a couple of three figure scores.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Back to just -0.11 now. One for tonight. 3pts P.Ebdon to beat M.Fu 11/10 Paddy Power Peter Ebdon's a bit of a weird case. I always think now that because he lives out of the country he needs a match to get going and get used to playing in the conditions again. Unfortunately for him because his ranking is low now it usually means that at this stage of the tournament he's playing a top player which makes it tough but that's not the case tonight. He's playing a Marco Fu who is generally out of form with fragile confidence. Against Stephen Maguire, Fu showed real class in banging in a couple of tons but he tightened up bigtime when the finishing line came and was refusing pots even I'd have fancied. One thing Ebdon is never short of is belief and confidence. He'll go for the right shots and at times the wrong ones. When he gets his teeth into a tournament Ebdon is still a good player. We saw that in the World Open where he made the semi finals only to be derailed by O'Sullivan who was in good nick then. Fu's results in ranking events this season has been nothing to write home about and for me Ebdon is still the better player of the two. Ebbo was ill when he played Carter on Sunday night but hopefully he's over that having had 5 days to rest and recover and if he is I think he'll beat Marco tonight.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Congrats all round this afternoon - which makes a pleasant change after the carnage so far. :clap 4pts - Peter Ebdon to beat Marco Fu @ 2.3 with Betfair I think this is a super price on Ebdon to be honest. Kev has pretty much said everything about this match. I watched the whole of Fu's game with Maguire and strangely, despite hitting back to back centuries, I just wasn't impressed with Marco. He misses so many easy balls these days and when Maguire began to come back at him he really did start to crumble. It was fitting that he won the match with a snooker because I honestly don't think he would have been capable of potting match ball he was so tight. On the other hand, Ebdon impressed me against Carter, especially in the way he held his nerve in the decider having been pegged back from 64-0 up in the previous frame. There's no doubt that Ebdon will stand up to the pressure more readily should this match go down to the wire and I think he has enough left in the tank to see off the inconsistent Fu.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan I'm taking a couple tonight and am following in WS & Kev. P.Ebdon to beat M.Fu, 5pts @ 5/4 William Hill P.Ebdon to win 4-2 v M.Fu, 1st 6 frames, 3pts @ 16/5 Paddy Power P.Ebdon to win 5-1 v M.Fu, 1st 6 frames, 1pt @ 9/1 BlueSq I pretty much agree with what the guys have said earlier. As Kev says, Ebdon was a little under the weather earlier in the week and will be feeling much better now. He did well to beat Ali Carter and what I like about Ebdon is that he's a real grinder and can spot an opportunity a mile off. With Ronnie & Robbo out, he will see this as a great chance to make the final and will have the crowd on his side too. Fu flatters to deceive all too often and will struggle if Ebdon starts tying him in knots with his safey game. Fu was handed his win on a plate, I feel, against Mags and this will be tougher. Add to that the 6-2 pasting Ebdon gave to Fu last year in this, where he won 6 on the trot, I think the psychological edge is with Ebdon. I expect him to start well and take this at a canter so I'm also on the 6 frame score where I'm confident he'll be leading.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Its personal between me and Ebdon now.... the amount of money i've lost opposing him and when I don't... he duely obliges and gets stuffed! I normally expect him to get stuffed and he wins... 1st round against Carter be a prime example! Got to love sport!

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Well, either 5 days wasn't long enough for Ebdon to recover from whatever ailment he had or he plays better when he's at death's door. I really can't remember a more unpredictable Masters than this year - you'd had to have been psychic to pick Marco Fu or Jamie Cope as semi-finalists given their form coming into the event. :loon Last night leaves me -7.01 for the tournament. I'm struggling to find any value on today's semi-finals so far. Allen might be a touch underpriced at 1/2 but it's hard to judge as Fu was put under no pressure at all last night. Will have another think and might come back with something later.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Sh1t or bust time for me. I'm going with 2 in the first semi. M.Fu to win race to 3 frames v M.Allen, 3pts @ 11/8 Betfred M.Fu to make highest break v M.Allen, 4pts @ 13/10 Betfred I'm actually quite looking forward to this semi, I think it will be closer than many people think. Mark Allen has that semi final monkey on his back and this time, more than any after, is the time he should make that elusive 1st final. That pressure may be too much for him although they way he's played and the players he's beat suggest he should be up to it. However, he's now the fav for this match after being the underdog for his last 2 wins. Marco Fu, meanwhile, has still played pretty well this week even though his opponents haven't produced that much. Beat Mags 6-4 after being 5-1 up, and destroyed Ebdon to nil. He's started very fast this week but thought the nerves got to him against Maguire with the winning line in sight, so I'll take him to win the race to 3 frames rather than the match. In terms of break building, both of these are well capable but interesting that Allen's top run of the week has been 88 whilst Fu has scored 4 breaks above that, including 3 tons. At odds against, he's a big price to hit the highest break.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan I agree Rob. I think Allen is short given he's yet to get past this stage in a tournament. Won't be easy being the favourite either. 4pts M.Allen vs M.Fu - Over 6.5 50+ breaks Evs Skybet This line looks high on the face on it but as bad as Fu's two opponents have been, he's still put in 3 centuries this week and could have had two more last night. Ebdon have Fu lots of chances but it's not a certainty that Allen won't either with his 'all or nothing' way of playing. Mark Allen is one of the heaviest scorers in the game at the minute though and when he gets in he's taken advantage all week. Both can score heavily when they are on their game and I've just got the feeling that this could be a very good, tight semi final and with that in mind I think we'll have enough frames and enough quality in the frames to over the 6.5 50's line.