** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan

Spooner

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan

What about Murphy? Even i could beat him on that match. C`mon' date=' he blew so much really, really simple balls. I can`t belive it.[/quote'] Stop talking through your pocket. Tell me the last time he performed well at Wembley. I admit he was poor but to suggest there was something fishy going on is, quite frankly, ludicrous. Just because Higgins has done it (or maybe has:lol), it doesn't mean they're all the same.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Murphy? You are aware that he's a God-botherer right? :loon Horrible day yesterday and I'm down to -6.61 for the week now. Still determined to try to finish this unpredictable Masters in profit though and I'll take one for this afternoon's match. 4pts - Mark Allen v Neil Robertson - over 9.5 frames @ 1.95 with Betfair Robertson breezed through his 1st round match against Hendry, missing out on a couple of centuries along the way but generally just looking too strong for the former champion. I said earlier that he seems to be totally unfazed by the weight of expectation on him as world champ and he must be really fancying his chances here as the only top 8 seed left in the draw. Mark Allen was more inconsistent in beating Ronnie but still knocked in a couple of 80+ breaks and showed terrific bottle to finish the Rocket off. He should be full of confidence after that win and he's certainly got the long-potting and breakbuilding game that can put Robbo under the sort of pressure that Hendry couldn't apply. There's always the danger that either of these guys could just hit a purple patch and run through this match 6-0 or 6-1, but I fancy it'll be a closer affair than that. Both have the bottle needed to produce their best snooker under extreme pressure and I think this could be the match of the round.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan The thing is this is the Top 16 in the world so of course everyone can beat everyone, how would you prove its fixed? I don't think its fixed but I'm keeping my money in my pocket for the rest of the tournament as the results are just not the way I would of called the games and there is a good chance that it will continue for the rest of the tournament. We can still enjoy by watching it, remember there are other things to bet on this weekend, if you don't feel comfortable with the way the tournament is going then just leave the betting out of it.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Back to -3.94pts. Anyway who finishes in profit here will deserve credit, that's for sure:lol. I expect the best match of the week so far this afternoon. I can't wait and am taking 2. M.Allen v N.Robertson, over 9 frames 4pts @ 11/10 Bet365 M.Allen v N.Robertson, 2 or more match centuries 3pts @ 7/4 Skybet I'm with WS here on the overs. We have a cracking match in store and whoever wins here must be supremely confident of making the final. Mark Allen will be buoyed by a great win over Ronnie. No matter which Ronnie turns up, to beat him is a massive boost and he did it pretty well too. What I was impressed with was the way Ronnie came back to 4 each, but Mark again pulled away to win. Robbo wasn't at his very best against Hendry but again did enough. He knows he has a fine chance of winning this now and I expect the form that made him world champ to come out this afternoon. I find it very difficult to pick a winner in this and am sure we'll get the required 10 frames to bring the overs in here, with a winning margin of 2 or under. In terms of breaks, these 2 are amongst the most attack minded players in the game who just want to get in amongst the balls. Heavy scorers too, neither of them managed a century in the opening round but that will surely change here. Both will feel more settled (just look at Ding and his 3 tons) and there's every chance of seeing a top quality match with lots of '1 visit' frames. If we do get the 10 or 11 frames here, I expect to see them build on the 4 80+ breaks they scored between them in the 1st round and hit a couple of three figure scores.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Back to just -0.11 now. One for tonight. 3pts P.Ebdon to beat M.Fu 11/10 Paddy Power Peter Ebdon's a bit of a weird case. I always think now that because he lives out of the country he needs a match to get going and get used to playing in the conditions again. Unfortunately for him because his ranking is low now it usually means that at this stage of the tournament he's playing a top player which makes it tough but that's not the case tonight. He's playing a Marco Fu who is generally out of form with fragile confidence. Against Stephen Maguire, Fu showed real class in banging in a couple of tons but he tightened up bigtime when the finishing line came and was refusing pots even I'd have fancied. One thing Ebdon is never short of is belief and confidence. He'll go for the right shots and at times the wrong ones. When he gets his teeth into a tournament Ebdon is still a good player. We saw that in the World Open where he made the semi finals only to be derailed by O'Sullivan who was in good nick then. Fu's results in ranking events this season has been nothing to write home about and for me Ebdon is still the better player of the two. Ebbo was ill when he played Carter on Sunday night but hopefully he's over that having had 5 days to rest and recover and if he is I think he'll beat Marco tonight.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Congrats all round this afternoon - which makes a pleasant change after the carnage so far. :clap 4pts - Peter Ebdon to beat Marco Fu @ 2.3 with Betfair I think this is a super price on Ebdon to be honest. Kev has pretty much said everything about this match. I watched the whole of Fu's game with Maguire and strangely, despite hitting back to back centuries, I just wasn't impressed with Marco. He misses so many easy balls these days and when Maguire began to come back at him he really did start to crumble. It was fitting that he won the match with a snooker because I honestly don't think he would have been capable of potting match ball he was so tight. On the other hand, Ebdon impressed me against Carter, especially in the way he held his nerve in the decider having been pegged back from 64-0 up in the previous frame. There's no doubt that Ebdon will stand up to the pressure more readily should this match go down to the wire and I think he has enough left in the tank to see off the inconsistent Fu.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan I'm taking a couple tonight and am following in WS & Kev. P.Ebdon to beat M.Fu, 5pts @ 5/4 William Hill P.Ebdon to win 4-2 v M.Fu, 1st 6 frames, 3pts @ 16/5 Paddy Power P.Ebdon to win 5-1 v M.Fu, 1st 6 frames, 1pt @ 9/1 BlueSq I pretty much agree with what the guys have said earlier. As Kev says, Ebdon was a little under the weather earlier in the week and will be feeling much better now. He did well to beat Ali Carter and what I like about Ebdon is that he's a real grinder and can spot an opportunity a mile off. With Ronnie & Robbo out, he will see this as a great chance to make the final and will have the crowd on his side too. Fu flatters to deceive all too often and will struggle if Ebdon starts tying him in knots with his safey game. Fu was handed his win on a plate, I feel, against Mags and this will be tougher. Add to that the 6-2 pasting Ebdon gave to Fu last year in this, where he won 6 on the trot, I think the psychological edge is with Ebdon. I expect him to start well and take this at a canter so I'm also on the 6 frame score where I'm confident he'll be leading.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Its personal between me and Ebdon now.... the amount of money i've lost opposing him and when I don't... he duely obliges and gets stuffed! I normally expect him to get stuffed and he wins... 1st round against Carter be a prime example! Got to love sport!

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Well, either 5 days wasn't long enough for Ebdon to recover from whatever ailment he had or he plays better when he's at death's door. I really can't remember a more unpredictable Masters than this year - you'd had to have been psychic to pick Marco Fu or Jamie Cope as semi-finalists given their form coming into the event. :loon Last night leaves me -7.01 for the tournament. I'm struggling to find any value on today's semi-finals so far. Allen might be a touch underpriced at 1/2 but it's hard to judge as Fu was put under no pressure at all last night. Will have another think and might come back with something later.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Sh1t or bust time for me. I'm going with 2 in the first semi. M.Fu to win race to 3 frames v M.Allen, 3pts @ 11/8 Betfred M.Fu to make highest break v M.Allen, 4pts @ 13/10 Betfred I'm actually quite looking forward to this semi, I think it will be closer than many people think. Mark Allen has that semi final monkey on his back and this time, more than any after, is the time he should make that elusive 1st final. That pressure may be too much for him although they way he's played and the players he's beat suggest he should be up to it. However, he's now the fav for this match after being the underdog for his last 2 wins. Marco Fu, meanwhile, has still played pretty well this week even though his opponents haven't produced that much. Beat Mags 6-4 after being 5-1 up, and destroyed Ebdon to nil. He's started very fast this week but thought the nerves got to him against Maguire with the winning line in sight, so I'll take him to win the race to 3 frames rather than the match. In terms of break building, both of these are well capable but interesting that Allen's top run of the week has been 88 whilst Fu has scored 4 breaks above that, including 3 tons. At odds against, he's a big price to hit the highest break.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan I agree Rob. I think Allen is short given he's yet to get past this stage in a tournament. Won't be easy being the favourite either. 4pts M.Allen vs M.Fu - Over 6.5 50+ breaks Evs Skybet This line looks high on the face on it but as bad as Fu's two opponents have been, he's still put in 3 centuries this week and could have had two more last night. Ebdon have Fu lots of chances but it's not a certainty that Allen won't either with his 'all or nothing' way of playing. Mark Allen is one of the heaviest scorers in the game at the minute though and when he gets in he's taken advantage all week. Both can score heavily when they are on their game and I've just got the feeling that this could be a very good, tight semi final and with that in mind I think we'll have enough frames and enough quality in the frames to over the 6.5 50's line.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan 130, 97 and 136:eek. 3 amazing frames on the bounce here from Marco Fu. Top, top quality snooker. People talk about a poor Masters, too many shocks, etc. Yes, it's been disappointing betting wise but these 2 are fully deserving of their semi final place. If Fu continues in the same vein, his name's on the trophy.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Going to put up for 2 for tonight too. J.Cope to beat D.Junhui, 3pts @ 21/10 Bet365 J.Cope v D.Junhui, over 6.5 50+ breaks, 4pts @ 5/4 Skybet Well, it's been bloody unpredictable this week so I'll hope that trend continues tonight and the underdog wins. Jamie Cope has a good record against Ding and has beaten in 2 ranking events in the last 12 months, 5-1 at the Shanghai and 5-3 at the Welsh Open, so has also proved he can do it in the short format. Admittedly, Ding was immense in his quarter final but Copey wasn't too shabby either. I just don't think the odds are justified based on Ding's last round performance. This season, he's been average at best, I'd say. Won a PTC event but, in the ranking events, hasn't done much. Got to the quarters in the World Open but fell in the last 16 of both the UK and the Shanghai. Cope's done little better but did make the semis of the Shanghai. A shade over 2's is a good price in what I think is a 'pick em', especially as we all know of Ding's tendency to have a mid match nap. Both of these are good amongst the balls and both hit 5 50+ out of 6 frames won in the quarters. That's a strike rate of 0.83 50's per frame. If they can continue that, we'd only need 9 frames to bring this bet in. I'm certain it will be a little closer so we should have an added bit of help to bring this bet home.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Didn't see the earlier semi but apparently Allen was on 48 twice, decided to double the black and stick his cue in the way of the pocket the 1st time and then missed a green the 2nd time. Consequently there were 6 50's :wall:wall. One for me tonight which will hopefully carry a bit more luck. 6pts D.Junhui (-1.5 frames) to beat J.Cope 4/5 Paddy Power I really like Ding tonight. He's played some really solid snooker this week and his first 4 frames against Graeme Dott were magical. So much so that Dott himself was applauding from his chair. I think he'll have way too much for Jamie Cope who's safety and tactical game is non existant. Without being unfair to Cope, both his opponents have done a major no show this week but Ding's not likely to be a 3rd. He's playing too well and he's too experienced at this stage now. He knows how to win tournaments from here. It could be argued this is the biggest match of Cope's career. Saturday night, semi final at The Masters with the title bang up for grabs. I just can't see him improving to the level he's going to need to in order to stick with Ding in this. Ding will have seen Marco Fu win earlier and the prospect of an all Chinese final will focus his mind with all the potential interest it would create. Cope's got a good record against Ding but the way the two have played this week I think Ding wins this and wins it no worse than 6-4.

I agree Rob. I think Allen is short given he's yet to get past this stage in a tournament. Won't be easy being the favourite either.
Wish I'd acted on that now. :( I think I'm going to keep my powder dry for the final and just sit back and enjoy the match tonight. Ding is tempting on the handicap and I agree that Cope has been given a fairly easy ride so far, but we've seen with Marco how much confidence a player can gain by just winning games, no matter how their opponent plays.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan -2.31 overall now. Seen the highlights of the 1st semi and I'm gutted that 50+ break bet didn't land. Would have had me +6 overall :@. 3 for me in the final. 3pts M.Fu to beat D.Junhui 2/1 Bet365 4pts Over 11.5 50+ breaks 11/10 Skybet 5pts Over 16 frames 10/11 Ladbrokes I'm really looking forward to this final. I think it will be an excellent watch. Both players have been in big finals before so nerves shouldn't play the part it may have done if this final had been say Cope vs Allen. Both are playing lovely snooker this week. Hitting centuries and high breaks for fun as well as good safety play. In their semi finals, Ding hit 8 50+ breaks in winning just 6 frames. Fu was no worse he hit 5, 2 of which were big centuries in a really impressive burst of scoring. So these two have covered this 50+ break total in their semis. They played a best of 19 match in the world championship a couple of years ago and Ding won it 10-9. There were 12 50+ breaks in that match and I expect the same in this final. The table looks to be playing lovely with the new cloth on it and I think we'll see lots of heavy scoring. Blue Square are 8/11 on the 50+ breaks bet so 11/10 is massive value. Masters finals in general are tight affairs and I don't see this being any different. I don't think either will run away with this match and whoever wins it I'm confident it won't be won any easier than 10-7. Both know each other's games very well indeed so this will be nip and tuck. I just think Fu will hold himself together a bit better, especially if this is close down the stretch. I don't know if Ding's previous Masters final will have an effect on him. He won't get the treatment from the crowd he got that day but you never know if it'll have an effect. I think Fu's playing really good snooker this week. He's knocked in 5 centuries and is pouncing on every chance he's given at the minute and as tight as I think this final will be, I think Fu has the temperament and the talent to take the crown in what should be a cracking final.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan -7.34pts for me. Hope to claw some back in the final though. I'm pretty much following Kev in here, think Fu has a great chance in a tight final. M.Fu (+2.5 frames) to beat D.Junhui, 4pts @ 10/11 Stan James M.Fu v D.Junhui, over 16.5 frames, 5pts @ 10/11 Coral M.Fu to make highest break v D.Junhui, 3pts @ 11/8 Boylesports Really looking forward to this final, more so than any other final since last years Masters epic. Both of these lads have played excellent snooker this week and are fully deserving of their final place. I think this will be tight; Ding generally starts very quick but has a tendency to switch off for a few frames whilst Fu is just a resolute battler with an incredible temperament. I just don't see there being much in it at the finish, just look at yesterday as an example - Allen was cruising but Fu fought back to take 5 on the bounce, whilst Cope had numerous chances to get back into it during Ding's mid match nap. I'm not certain Marco will have enough to stop Ding here, but he'll run him close so I'll take him on the handicap as well as being on the total frames market too. Both of these have been excellent in their break building but I think Marco's been better. Ding was superb in making 3 tons in 4 frames in his quarter final but, otherwise, has only had 2 breaks over 80 (89 in 1st round, 102 in semi). Marco meanwhile has been excellent in each of his 3 games from a break building perspective, 2 over 80 in his first game (109 & 117), 3 in his quarter (80, 91 & 107) and 4 yesterday (82, 130, 97 & 136). Those stats back up my claims that Fu should be fav for high break in this final, yet we're getting 11/8 so I'm more than happy to take some of that. Sit back & enjoy;)

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan After such an unpredictable tournament, I'm not going to try to pick a winner here. Fu does look a touch overpriced at around the 2/1 mark, but the quality of Ding's performance last night just can't be ignored. 4pts - Ding Junhui v Marco Fu - over 2.5 century breaks @ 1.9 with Betfair 4pts - Ding Junhui v Marco Fu - over 16.5 frames @ 1.91 with Betfair Between them, Ding and Marco have been responsible for 9 of the 15 centuries hit in the Masters this week. That's phenomenal scoring by anyone's standards and I don't expect it to stop here. Both players have looked so comfortable amongst the balls and even the questionable table conditions earlier in the week didn't faze them. I just can't see this final turning into a tactical battle and we should see plenty of opportunities for this line to come in. Likewise, both have been in such hot form that it's hard to see either of them running away with this match. As Russ says, Ding is traditionally a quick starter but he tends to be pegged back mid-match and Marco showed great calm under pressure to recover from 1-4 down against Mark Allen yesterday. Everything points to this being a close match and I think this is quite a generous line giving us a margin of no worse than 10-7 either way. Good luck to everyone who has stuck with this highly unpredictable tournament all week. Hopefully some of us can end up with something resembling a profit. :hope

Good luck to everyone who has stuck with this highly unpredictable tournament all week. Hopefully some of us can end up with something resembling a profit. :hope
Aye, good shout that mate:clap. We won't let the buggers beat us just yet:ok. In conclusion, we need: 1. Fu to win 10-7 or closer 2. Over 12 50+ breaks including 3 centuries (which are all Fu's) :hope

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Good first session in terms of the 50+ breaks bet for me but not anything involving Fu so far. I don't think he's a no hoper tonight though. With a bit more luck and a wobble here or there he could easily be 4-4. 5pts M.Fu (+5.5 frames) to beat D.Junhui 5/6 Betfred 1pt M.Fu to beat D.Junhui 11/1 Bet365 Marco Fu trails 6-2 going into this evening's session but even so I think this is a pretty big handicap for Ding to cover still. It means he's going to have to win tonight 4-2 and I don't see that being a certainty. I really do think there is more mileage in this final tonight. Fu's only won two frames but he's scored an 80 and an 82 in those frames so when he gets a nice chance he is scoring well enough to get back into this match. What he hasn't had is that little run of the ball that makes the difference between awkward pots and easier ones. He's missed two very close pots in this match and it's been the difference between 4-4 and 6-2. We've already seen this week that Marco has got a lot of fight in him and can score under pressure. It's the 1st to 10 tonight so Ding still needs 4 frames. If Marco can win this four frame mini session 3-1 then at 7-5 he's very much back in the match and he'll have brought this handicap in. Against Allen yesterday we saw that Fu can rattle off frames quickly when he's in the mood. I think he'll come out and win 3 of the 1st 6 tonight and with that he won't be too far away. As I said if he can win this mini session even 3-1 he's not out of this at 7-5. It's amazing what can happen in Masters finals when a guy is coming back at you. It's weird like nothing else. Even with a 4 frames defecit, having not done a lot wrong 11/1 is too big for Fu so I'll have a small punt he completes the turnaround but a much bigger bet that he makes it to 5 frames.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Unlucky all round, all through the tournament. -19.34pts for me:(. However, I'm not sure I'd do that much differently next time. The calls were the right ones, just some bad run of the ball and some easy missed pots. That's 2 tournaments on the trot where I feel I've run over a cat. I'm not the only one either. Unlucky Rob & Kev. On the bright side, we'll get it back with Shootout, German Masters & Welsh Open in just 3 weeks:nana

Good first session in terms of the 50+ breaks bet for me but not anything involving Fu so far. I don't think he's a no hoper tonight though. With a bit more luck and a wobble here or there he could easily be 4-4. 5pts M.Fu (+5.5 frames) to beat D.Junhui 5/6 Betfred 1pt M.Fu to beat D.Junhui 11/1 Bet365 Marco Fu trails 6-2 going into this evening's session but even so I think this is a pretty big handicap for Ding to cover still. It means he's going to have to win tonight 4-2 and I don't see that being a certainty. I really do think there is more mileage in this final tonight. Fu's only won two frames but he's scored an 80 and an 82 in those frames so when he gets a nice chance he is scoring well enough to get back into this match. What he hasn't had is that little run of the ball that makes the difference between awkward pots and easier ones. He's missed two very close pots in this match and it's been the difference between 4-4 and 6-2. We've already seen this week that Marco has got a lot of fight in him and can score under pressure. It's the 1st to 10 tonight so Ding still needs 4 frames. If Marco can win this four frame mini session 3-1 then at 7-5 he's very much back in the match and he'll have brought this handicap in. Against Allen yesterday we saw that Fu can rattle off frames quickly when he's in the mood. I think he'll come out and win 3 of the 1st 6 tonight and with that he won't be too far away. As I said if he can win this mini session even 3-1 he's not out of this at 7-5. It's amazing what can happen in Masters finals when a guy is coming back at you. It's weird like nothing else. Even with a 4 frames defecit, having not done a lot wrong 11/1 is too big for Fu so I'll have a small punt he completes the turnaround but a much bigger bet that he makes it to 5 frames.
Unbelievable here. Lost the 11th frame when Ding needed snookers to take it to 6-5. Turning point in the match, and ruined the bet also. Unlucky.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan I'd boil it down to 2 shots in the last 2 tournaments Kev - Williams not playing position on the yellow in the UK and Marco not attempting to pot the pink tonight. Them's the margins. :( -15.01 for me. It just wasn't gonna happen this week. On the plus side, it's great to see players actually attempting to play for snookers again. Marco did it a lot this week and I noticed a few more players playing on when 2 or even 3 snookers were needed in the UK. It's been a forgotten art for the last decade or so with the likes of Hendry and O'Sullivan pretty much conceding as soon as they need a snooker, so I'm all for that. :clap Upwards and onwards to the German Masters folks. :ok