** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan

Spooner

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan 1pt E-W S.Murphy to win The Masters @ 10/1 Ladbrokes (2, 1/2) I'm taking a player from each half of the draw, this was a difficult choice because in this half we have Selby who has a brilliant record here and comes into this as defending champion, John Higgins & Mark Williams are also in this half but this is The Masters and you have to beat the best. Shaun Murphy was unlucky not to reach the final of the UK Champs just the other month, he was cueing well and is definitely favourite to get past Jamie Cope in the opener, Cope is to be respected but you feel that Murphy would edge it over the best of 11. Should Selby get past Mark King then the two will meet in the quarter's, Selby with he's record will be favourite but I wouldn't say a huge favourite, Murphy's been in good form finishing top of the order of merit on the players tour, ahead of Selby. He'll then meet one of Higgins, Williams, Ding or Dott which again you wouldn't have him as a huge underdog, Shaun's more than capable of making the final from this half of the draw. 10/1 is probably about right if not a bit stingy but I think Murphy will go well in this tournament. 1pt E-W S.Maguire to win The Masters @ 14/1 Stan James (2, 1/2) I'm avoiding the possible clash between O'Sullivan & Robertson as there is little value in their outrights, I was looking at one from four in this half and the player I chose is Stephen Maguire. Last year's semi finalist here has got to a couple of finals on the players tour, he reached the quarter's of both UK Champs and World Open. He'll be strong favourite to beat Marco in the opener but its no gimmie, nothing is in this event, if he does get past Marco then quarter final with either Ebdon or Carter will be in store, he'll be fav to beat Ebdon but nothing will split him in Carter in the betting, I fancy Maguire to get to the semi's and then the real tough match will come with it likely to be Ronnie or Robertson but will be on at a nice price.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Just for anyone wondering with the quarter betting, Bluesq are offering 3/1 on Higgins to win Quarter 2 which looked huge at first but I've got onto their live support and the price is incorrect, don't bother as they'll make it a palpable error. :ok

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan I love the masters, best tournament on the calendar for me. I think the value lies in Robertson outright 7/1. In my opinion he is the player all opponents will want to avoid. Why ronnie is favourite i do not no. I respect hes been a regular in the final in this tournament, but i think the cliche comment of his heads not right is to accurate as of late. Bingham proved that in the 1st round of the uk. The other is higgins. I think this cheat is the only player that can mount a challenge for robertson. Allen, williams, murphy, ding and selby in particular will fancy a challenge, but in my opinion robertson is the name that has that fear factor to avoid. He has a first world title to his name, time for a first masters.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan

I think the value lies in Robertson outright 7/1. In my opinion he is the player all opponents will want to avoid. Why ronnie is favourite i do not no. I respect hes been a regular in the final in this tournament, but i think the cliche comment of his heads not right is to accurate as of late.
I never back Ronnie as his odds dont even remotely reflect the probablity of him winning. Infact I think Allen will give him a fright in the first round next week. For me its Robertson, Robertson, Robertson.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Been having a think about this today and I've pretty much decided not to take any outrights. I fully agree with the sentiments about Ronnie's price above, but he does worry me a little bit here. He's made the effort to turn up and play the Championship League over the last 2 days and took it pretty seriously (he's just lost his group final to Mark Williams) and that suggests to me that he was looking for some semi-serious match practice prior to Wembley. He admitted after losing to Bingham in the UK that he'd made a mistake by abandoning the PTC circuit and coming into the tournament cold, and I just have a feeling he could be well up for this. Absolutely no value in his price though, as always. The only one that tempts me at the moment is Ali Carter out at 14s on Betfair. That seems a big price for a guy who's won a ranking event this season and he has a decent looking path through to the semis. He's another one that looked to be cueing pretty well from what I saw over the last few days as well. Mark Williams at the same price isn't a bad shout either, although he faces Ding and then the winner of Higgins/Dott in the quarters, so it's a pretty tough draw for him. Hmm...might have to mull it over a bit more as typing this out has given me some food for thought now. :dude

Hey I was looking to back Higgins to win the 2nd Quarter @ 5/4. Im not that familier with the layout of this tourny, so if he beats Dott he will then player either Williams or Din to win the quater? So hes got to win two matches for this bet to come in, is that correct? If someone could let me know im would be very grateful. Cheers
Correct:ok

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan The masters is always hard to call because its exclusively the top 16 and the first round is first to 6. I'll be watching Ronnie v. Allen and Dott v. Higgins as I reckon there could be a couple of upsets there. I think backing the likes of Selby and Robertson with the intension of laying them later in the week is the way to go.

There was a flamingtorch snooker betting system. do you know how it works? its profitable?
I googled it and I can imagine they simply suggest you to back a player at, say, 1.83, then lay him at 1.32. Easy in theory but not in reality. You could back Higgins to win frame 1 at 1.78 but his opponent theoretically could knock in a long red and clear the table. Snooker does lend itself to shifting odds which can be capitalised upon but you need a bit of luck as well as a good knowledge of the game and its players.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan I use 'the system' but its not full proof as the videos on flamingtorch suggest. It works like this, If Higgins knocks in a red and gets in amoungst the balls his odds may lie at 1.45 to win the frame. You could then stick £5 on him at 1.45. A few shots later as he continues to pot balls and extend his lead the probablity of him winning the frame becomes higher and his odds therefore drop further, to 1.35 for example. You would then sell off a proportion of your potential winnings at 1.35. So instead of the outcomes being, +£2.25 if Higgins wins (£5 x 1.45), or -£5.00 if Higgins loses You could have sold off £1.92 of your potential £2.25 winnings at 1.35 to leave, +£0.35 if Higgins wins (£5 x 1.45 = £2.25) - (£5.50 x 1.35 = £1.92) or +£0.50 if Higgins loses, you lose your £5 bet but gain the second £5.50 bet So in the space of a few minutes you could back higgins at 1.45 then sell him at 1.35 to guarantee the profit. The problem is Higgins could miss a matter of seconds after you back him and his odds will go long and you will no longer have the opportunity to lay him at odds that guarantee a win. So you need a good knowledge of the game to know when its safe-ish to back a player.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan As always, I'm really looking forward to this and am taking just 1 outright. R.O'Sullivan to win the Masters 3pts @ 4/1 Betfred Normally, I wouldn't take Ronnie especially as his odds are generally prohibitive. However, in a 16 runner field, I think 4's is a fair price and I can see him coming back to form with a bang. Admittedly, every match here is difficult but if he's on his game, he'll be hard to beat. Was awful at the UK and deservedly lost in round 1 to Stuart Bingham but that will have given him the kick up the backside he needs. He's played in the Championship League Group 2 in the last few days and made the final, losing out in a high quality match to Mark Williams. What impressed me though was the way he was cueing; in the 20 frames he won, he hit 19 breaks of 50+ including 6 centuries. That's world class break building. Has made 6 of the last 7 finals at the Masters, winning 3, and this is a venue he absolutely adores with a vocal crowd that suits the Rocket. Even as fav at 4's, I'm happy to be on Ronnie this week.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan 2 outrights for me. Russ, you've pretty much read my mind. 4pts R.O'Sullivan to win The Masters 4/1 Betfred I really like Ronnie this week. This is his tournament. He loves the locality, the crowd which is massively on his side (anyone who might think a snooker crowd can't affect a match ask Ding :lol) and the fact that he plays a best of 11 then disappears for a couple of days. I'll write off his UK Championship performance because he clearly wasn't right there but we've never seen his head go in this tournament. If he's beaten he's beaten fair and square. He won the Premier League which is another tournament he enjoys and that's a solid form line. In the UK he struggled with his long potting but the signs in the Championship League this week, which he took surprisingly seriously, were that his long potting was coming back. He's never ever been bad in the balls so we need no worries there. His draw this week is tough but in a way I think that's no bad thing as it will concentrate his mind. Ronnie's made 6 of the last 7 finals in this tournament which is pretty sick when you think about it. The only time he didn't make the final he was edged out 6-5 by Stephen Maguire. If he turns up with his best game this week even with the draw he's got he'll be tough to beat. I get the sense there's some unfinished business with Selby after the final last year and even at 4/1 I'm more than happy to be on the Rocket here. 3pts A.Carter to win 3rd Quarter 11/5 Boylesports I think Ali Carter is a massive price here. Over 2/1 in a quarter with Peter Ebdon who he plays in the opening round and has a 7-0 head to head record against, and then he'll play the winner of Maguire and Fu, neither of whom have pulled up any trees with their form so far this season. Although he went out in the opening round of the UK, we still need to remember Ali has won a ranking event this season. There was reasons why the Captain hit a bit of turbulence at the UK Champs but that's likely to be solved coming into this week. Being local he'll be able to head home after matches without messing around in hotels and stuff. This looks a pretty comfortable flight to the semi finals for the Captain and I expect him to navigate this path with a safe landing.

Sunday 9 January 2011 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Selby, M v King, M (13:30 GMT) 1.28 4.8 98.61 %
maximize.gif Carter, A v Ebdon, P (19:00 GMT) 1.57 2.84 98.85 %
Monday 10 January 2011 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Williams, M v Ding, Junhui (13:30 GMT) 1.9 2.1 100.00 %
maximize.gif Higgins, J v Dott, G (19:00 GMT) 1.47 3 101.36 %
Tuesday 11 January 2011 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif O'Sullivan, R v Allen, M (13:30 GMT) 1.5 3.02 99.56 %
maximize.gif Maguire, S v Fu, M (19:00 GMT) 1.57 2.62 101.73 %
Wednesday 12 January 2011 Player 1 Player 2 BPP
maximize.gif Robertson, N v Hendry, S (13:30 GMT) 1.33 4.1 99.39 %
maximize.gif Murphy, S v Cope, J (19:00 GMT) 1.49 2.98 100.67 %

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan I'll play both matches on the opening day. 4pts M.Selby (-2.5 frames) to beat M.King 9/10 Boylesports Mark Selby loves this tournament. He's been in the last three finals here and comes into this one as defending champion. It's fair to say he hasn't had the best of seasons so far but he looked in good touch in winning the opening Championship League group earlier in the week and he just seems to come alive in this venue. Mark King will enjoy the venue too given that he's fairly local but I don't think he has the game to live with Selby here. King wouldn't be here if the top 16 in the rankings today was being used and that's a telling factor for me. Sure King can dig in and scrap but he's out of nick and I just see Selby being too strong for the Essex man and I think the Jester will win this no worse than 6-3. 4pts A.Carter (-1.5 frames) to beat P.Ebdon Evs VC Ali Carter must love knowing he's going to be playing Peter Ebdon. He has a 7-0 head to head lead over 'The Force'. These two met here in 2009 and the Captain flew to a 6-0 win in no time. He's another who has shown good things in his game in the Championship League in the run up to this event. We also shouldn't forget he's won a tournament this year. Peter Ebdon's game is just below the top level at the minute. We know he'll scrap and scrap hard here but Carter's recent match practice should hold him in good stead. He'll be full of confidence having won a few matches last week and with his record against Ebdon his confidence can only be boosted further. Ebdon won't make this easy but I think Carter has the game to win this no worse than 6-4.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Me & Kev are going to fall out, me thinks:lol. I said yesterday I was backing 2 today, the bugger has stolen my bets! But seriously, 2 for me today. Looking forward to a cracking week of snooker. M.Selby (-2.5 frames) to beat M.King 3pts @ 9/10 Boylesports Can't really say that much more than what Kev has posted above but this tournament is as much about the venue as it is about form. Selby wins handsomely on both counts. His record here is amazing, in the final for the last 3 years and only Ronnie has beat him here in those last 3 visits. Last year, he started up superbly too with a 6-1 demolition of Ding in the opening round. Mark King, meanwhile, hasn't fared too great. Lost 6-3 first up last year after being 2-0 up on Stephen Maguire, whilst went out 6-2 in the Wildcard round in 2009 against Ricky Walden after again going in front early. Recent form also favours the Jester. Made the 2nd round of the UK after beating Walden in round 1 followed by a narrow defeat to the hands of Maguire, whilst King lost in round 1 to Ryan Day. H2H stats are another thing in the Jester' favour, 5-2 he leads including the last 5. Mark King should count himself lucky he's actually here as he now sits 20th in the provisional rankings but I'm convinced it will only be a day trip for him as Selby eases through 6-3 or better in the first part of his quest for a 4th successive final. A.Carter (-1.5 frames) to beat P.Ebdon 3pts @ Evs VCBet I fancy the Captain here, mainly because of his excellent 7-0 H2H. I'm not one to be taking 4/7 or 1/2 about anyone generally so will chance the handicap knowing that 6-4 or better will see this bet land. I'm sure that 2009 will still be in both players' minds when Carter destroyed Ebbo 6-0 and that can only be a good thing for Ali after going out early in the UK to Mark Joyce. We know that was only a blip, remember he won the Shanghai earlier in the season and has played well in the Championship League losing the Selby in one of the group stages. Ebdon meanwhile hasn't been quite as good. Out in the first round to Higginson in the UK, which was a disappointing return for a player favoured by the longer events. Did have a run to the semis of the World Open but that's a first to 3 format and I just can't use that form as a reliable guide. For me, this bet is all about the 7-0 H2H record and that I expect Carter to extend it. Ebdon is never one to write off in a final frame decider, so I'll take the scoreline to beat 6-4 or better, which brings with it more generous odds.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Williams - Junghui For me Williams is much much overstaked. Ding playing rubbish this seasson. First tournament, ok is not so important but after UK championship, i`m even more convinced that he`s completelly out of form. Williams is on really hot streak. I still can`t imagine how he lost UK champ with Higgins... That must be high physical handicap. There`s no other way. For me Williams is one of title contender and i got high stake on him to win. Williams - Junghui Tip: Williams Odd: 1,91 Bookie: stanjames.jpg Stake 7/10 Williams (+1,5) - Junghui Tip: Williams Odd: 1,51 Bookie: <a href=betfred.jpg"> Stake 9/10 GL

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Can`t really see Ali as a favourite. As he palys a bit better in powersnooker. In ranking tournaments is still rubbish. Ok, he won Shanghaj trophy, but c`mon most of the players just avoid. Just take a look at the scores. I saw almost every match of that tournament and Ali`s performance at UK champ. And really can`t see him more than first round. Ebdon is so unpredictable and this the only chance for Ali. But as i said there`s a hard pick for me. Selby - King Here is pretty nice bet on highest break of the match. And Selby is the one here as King is not very good in break building. Odd is not so high just 1,4 at gamebookers, but, pretty nice for accumulator. GL.

Can`t really see Ali as a favourite. As he palys a bit better in powersnooker. In ranking tournaments is still rubbish.
Bit harsh that ash. Ali was provisional world number 2 prior to the UK Championship, so he can't be that bad in ranking tournaments. I can't bring myself to back Ronnie or indeed anyone else on the outrights, so it's just the one for me today and I'm with Russ and Kev on this one. 5pts - Ali Carter (-1.5 frames) to beat Peter Ebdon @ 1.86 with Betfair Not much to add to what's already been said here. Kev mentioned the head to head stats, which are 7-0 in Ali's favour, suggesting that for whatever reason Ebdon can't seem to get to grips with Ali's style. Carter scored heavily in the Championship League last week and was very unlucky not to win the 1st group, getting a kick in the deciding frame of the final against Mark Selby when he was well placed to take the match. He's a solid match player these days and, if he brings that form into this match, I really can't see Ebdon getting within a frame of him here.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Carter isnt on form and even if he was I wouldnt back him for the title as he just seems to lack that something extra to convert semis and finals into silverware. King is a decent enough player, a seasoned top 16 player who has beaten the best when hes been on form. Hes had around 80 centuries which isnt bad. I cant see him beating the likes of Selby though.

Me & Kev are going to fall out' date=' me thinks:lol. I said yesterday I was backing 2 today, the bugger has stolen my bets![/quote'] Wish I'd ignored you now :lol. Seriously though, even though my bet is long since down, this is top level snooker. If we get this standard all week it'll be very enjoyable :dude.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Absolutely awful stuff yesterday, -6pts after day 1. Onto day 2 and I'll take 2 in the first match. M.Williams v D.Junhui, over 9.5 frames, 3pts @ Evs Paddy Power D.Junhui to make highest break v M.Williams 4pts @ 5/6 Paddy Power This is what the Masters is all about, 2 top players going head to head and I'm really looking forward to it. Although one player is clearly in better form, I don't see either of them running away with it. Mark J reached the final of the UK and held a big lead only to see Higgins come back and take it, and has also reached 2 other semis, at the World Open and in one of the EPTC events. Played pretty well to in the Championship League but that's not always a great pointer if Carter's performance is anything to go by. Ding, meanwhile, has been much less impressive. Out in the last 16 of both the Shanghai and the UK, quarter finalist at the World Open and winner of 1 PTC event, it's not been a great start to the season. However, he's a much better player than that. Last 2 meetings between these 2 have seen Williams prevail, 4-3 and 3-2, and I'm confident we'll see another ding dong battle here which should a 6-4 or 6-5 result either way. In terms of break building, Williams has always been a 'win the frame' sort of player, this was emphasised in his run to the final in the UK, where he amazingly didn't hit a century. Ding's very much from the other camp and likes to knock in the big breaks when he's amongst the balls. At the UK, Ding only played 2 matches to Williams' 5, yet he hit 6 breaks above Williams' highest run of the whole week. If we see that sort of play continue, I'll take Ding here.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Well, that was a nightmare opening day for this thread - bets down all over the shop. :( Have to take my hat off to Mark King as that's the best I think I've ever seen him play. Ebdon also did well for a man who was at death's door earlier in the day, but Carter was a bit of a letdown. He looked decent in the balls, but his tactical game was nowhere and he made some pretty basic errors (not least fouling the yellow in the 2nd frame with his arm :eyes). Still, it's early days and plenty of time to get back into profit. Just the one for me so far, but may have a look at the Higgins/Dott match later. 4pts - Mark Williams to beat Ding Junhui @ 1.87 with Betfair I think this is a decent price given their relative form this season. Of course, Ding is a class act and will have to come back into form sooner or later, but Williams seems to be relishing his snooker this season and is close to regaining his best form of a few years back. His long potting was his main problem in Telford, but it certainly looked to have been ironed out in his Championship League matches last week. He leads Ding 5-2 on the head-to-heads and I fancy him to get the measure of the Chinaman here as well.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Two for me in this afternoon's match too. Shocker of an opening day. 3pts M.Williams vs D.Junhui - Over 9.5 frames Evs Paddy Power 3pts Over 6.5 50+ breaks 6/5 Skybet Both these bets would've collected in both matches yesterday and that's in matches where there was a heavy favourite and a supposedly lesser scorer. I think this will be a belting match. As Russ says above this is what the Masters is about. Two of the best players in the world doing battle over 11 frames. Williams comes into this in good form, not just making the UK final and the World Open semi but he also won a Championship League group last week beating O'Sullivan in the final. Ding hasn't had much in the way of results this season yet but he's always dangerous and a very heavy scorer. MJW made 3 tons in the CL last week which shows he's scoring probably as well as ever. Ding is always fantastic in the balls and I think we'll see a good close, high scoring match here.

M.Williams v D.Junhui, over 9.5 frames, 3pts @ Evs Paddy Power D.Junhui to make highest break v M.Williams 4pts @ 5/6 Paddy Power
2 winners this afternoon, getting rid of yesterday's losses:ok. Another mouthwatering clash tonight and I'm again taking 2. G.Dott to win race to 3 frames v J.Higgins 3pts @ 13/8 Bet365 G.Dott v J.Higgins, over 9 frames 3pts @ 6/5 Bet365 Both these bets are based around the fact I firmly believe this match will be closer than many believe. Graeme Dott is one of the most underrated players out there and generally gives a good account of himself. Higgins is in super form since his enhanced ban but I'm not certain this venue suits him that well. It's close in the H2H, 6-4 Higgins, including last time at the UK where Higgins won a very tight encounter 9-8. I expect it to be this close tonight too. I'm just not sure Dott will get over the finish line so I've taken him to be leading after 5 frames. Statistics back this bet up. In the UK, he was 3-2 up after 5 and previous form at the Masters support this. In both 2009 and 2010, Higgins was down in his first round match after 5, last year in a defeat to Mark Allen and in 2009 to Marcu Fu, where he actually won the last 4 frames to record a 6-4 win. Dott's last appearance was also in 2009 where he lost a thriller 6-5 to fellow Scot Stephen Maguire. Again, he led after 5, in fact he 5-2 up. Looking forward to this one and let's hope Dotty can start well to give us a good night.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Frustrating match this afternoon. Williams looked to be cueing very well but totally lost his way in the middle part of the match and left himself with too much to do. Ding is still missing one or two surprising balls, but looks to be on the way back to his best form and could be dangerous in the next round. -9pts after just 3 matches isn't good, but still plenty of time to turn it around. Starting tonight I hope: 4pts - John Higgins v Graeme Dott - over 9.5 frames @ 2.14 with Betfair I was tempted by Dott on the -1.5 handicap here but I think I'll give myself the extra frame to play with. Totally agree with Russ's thinking in that this match could well be a lot closer than many expect. Dott showed in the UK that he has the game to go toe to toe with Higgins and he's become a much heavier scorer in recent years, making him a dangerous opponent for anyone. He didn't hang around for long in the Championship League last week but, given the way Selby, Carter, & Williams have performed here, that may be no bad thing. He certainly won't fear Higgins who has a history of early losses at Wembley despite his two Masters titles. 11/10 looks decent enough for a 6-4 or 6-5 win either way here.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan That was an annoying afternoon. 6 50+ breaks, all from Ding and yet I lost count of the amount of 45-49 breaks Williams made. Was at least 4 :wall:wall. Onto this evening and I'm going with 2. 3pts G.Dott to beat J.Higgins 85/40 VC 4pts Over 9 frames 6/5 Bet365 I think this will be a good match tonight. Higgins is in super form but he's already mentioned he doesn't go well in the venue and the fact he's come out publicly with it is interesting. It might fire him up but equally it could weigh on his mind. Since the tournament moved to Wembley Arena in 2007, Higgins has lost in the opening round 3 times which goes to show perhaps this isn't his favourite place. Graeme Dott hasn't got a much better record here. He seems to keep going out 6-5. I guess that's good for the overs. However having missed out on a place here last year Dott may well be inspired just by being here and with the pressure off I think he'll play well. This should be a really close match. Both are excellent match players but Dott can score when the chances come his way. The two met in the UK Championship last month and it went all the way to a deciding frame. I wouldn't be surprised if tonight goes all the way too. Dott isn't too far behind in their head to head record so he knows how to beat Higgins. I just think with nothing to lose and nobody expecting him to win that Dott will play really well tonight. Last month's meeting in the UK showed that Dott's way too big at bigger than 2/1 here and also that the overs look a good thing too. I'm happy to take both.

Re: Snooker: The Masters - 9-16 Jan Full house tonight. Superb stuff and a nice turnaround after yesterday's debacle:clap:clap. Well done Graeme Dott, that's 3 favourites turned over in the first 3 matches of this years Masters:eek 4 from 4 for me today so moved from -6pts to +8.81pts for the tournament. I won't be taking anything in tomorrow afternoon's match as I'm already on Ronnie outright. Will have a look at the Maguire/Fu and possibly post a bet up later:ok