** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

2011 Heads Up Cash +$3000ish

deadlydaveLDN

Ok, so my record of keeping up with my challenges isn't exactly great, but what better time than a New Year to change my ways. I'm hoping to quit my job by the end of 2011 to play full time poker, and while I love MTTs, I've figured out that heads-up cash is the best way to earn a steady income and have some flexibility in the hours I play. The long term goal is to make $100k profit in 2011 playing HU cash, then spend 2012 doing some travelling while I play poker. I'll be setting short term goals along the way to keep myself focused. I will be employing ridiculously thorough table selection - the goal here is not to become a better player, it's to make money. Therefore, I will be looking to play complete whales only. I've started already, with a bankroll of just $500, playing at $0.25/$0.50. Goal 1 : Bankroll of $5000 by the end of January Once goal 1 is acheived I'll be mixing in some $0.50/$1, again table selecting heavily, and I'll set a 2nd goal. I'll try to upload a graph every 5k hands.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: 2011 Heads Up Cash

Ok' date=' so my record of keeping up with my challenges isn't exactly great.[/quote'] This is the biggest understatement we'll see in the entire 2011 :lol ;) I won't get my hopes up but i hope you stick to this and get crushing and even pass your goals :clap One thing i'll add is though you're looking to play poor players you should seek to learn and improve too. Money is nice short term but if you've won a lot from poor players and your game has stayed stagnant then when you come up vs good players in a year or two that profit can be wiped away clean. I've obsessively been studying the last few weeks, not just to gain today or tomorrow but to gain for the next 10years.

Re: 2011 Heads Up Cash Dave, i am fairly new to punters lounge and i am also looking to play poker full time over the next year. I am not overly keen on internet poker and prefer live cash and tournements. However, to make my life a lot easier i woul like to improve my internet game. Its just a thought but what about some sort of challenge between us???? Would keep us both motivated and it looks like we both have the same goals. Any thoughts????

Re: 2011 Heads Up Cash good luck with your challenge Dave and a good start, setting targets is a good way to keep focused on the bigger picture and avoid tilt caused by variance. a word of caution - a mate of mine did something similar a couple of years ago with the same plan of moving up table limits. he was well a head of target after 2 months (over $20k) but found on moving up the standard was such that his profit was minimal in month 3 and he lost $4k in month 4. maybe it was variance, loss of confidence or whatever but on going back down levels he never made anything in month 5 and he gave up and hardly plays now. he always says he wished he had remained on the same level rather than moving up and puts it down to greed.

Re: 2011 Heads Up Cash Thanks for the advice. I don't actually plan to move up that high. If I put in the hours I think I could easily clear $100k without moving about $0.25/$0.50, but I'll probably go to $2/$4 at highest to reduce the hours. Since I'm only looking to play fish through my table selection, the standard isn't likely to change at whatever stakes I play.

No' date=' I'll play anyone who sits at my tables, and then sit out on them if they're clearly competent. You can pretty much always tell if this is the case within 10 hands.[/quote'] Certainly working well so far, impressive return after 1 day.. :clap How many tables do you intend to play?

Re: 2011 Heads Up Cash Frustrating day today. Didn't get the chance to play as many hands, didn't find as many uber-fish, didn't play a well, and didn't run as well. Of course, days like this are to be expected - if I could just show up and win 10 buy-ins per day while only play a couple of thousand hands then I'd already quit my job and made my $100k :lol On the positive side I felt I kept my discipline, quit good players, and was only slightly down depite what I think was about the worst day I can possibly have employing these tactics (aside from variance - obviously I'll have a day like this where I also run terribly) I've uploaded the daily graph, I think I'll continue to do this every day, and then add a weekly one at the end of every Saturday. jan2.png

Re: 2011 Heads Up Cash Good luck Dave :ok

No' date=' I'll play anyone who sits at my tables, and then sit out on them if they're clearly competent. You can pretty much always tell if this is the case within 10 hands.[/quote'] I hope you use PTR ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Ahem ........... ;)
:lol In my defence, my laptop has blown up, killing my HEM. I'm also talking to a couple of potential backers about a long term MTT staking deal and going on holiday next month. Add in the Nottingham UKIPT and that's why it's not been (and will continue to not be) so brief :ok Just messing about (HEM/HUDless) in small stakes stuff at the moment.

Re: 2011 Heads Up Cash I'm just going to say.. This is, i've counted, at least your 7th challenge, this one is going exactly the same route as all the others. Don't you feel you should at least try to follow something through? Is it a lack of discipline? Making excuses? or what?

I'm just going to say.. This is' date=' i've counted, at least your 7th challenge, this one is going exactly the same route as all the others. Don't you feel you should at least try to follow something through? Is it a lack of discipline? Making excuses? or what?[/quote'] :lol I know it doesn't look great, but everything I said in my previous post is true :ok

Re: 2011 Heads Up Cash In direct response to your question, I think it's pretty obvious that there have been discipline issues in my play - I can get bored quite easily once I feel like I've figured out how to beat a particular game (sometimes I have figured it out, sometimes I've run good, sometimes I've played bad, and sometimes I've run bad). Finally, if it was easy to complete, it wouldn't be much of a challenge ;)