** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

NHL - January 2011 picks

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: NHL - January 2011 picks

Edmonton look good for the win there. However, there's not a lot of goals in them. Don't be surprised if it goes to OT or if Islanders pull out a win. Philadelphia Flyers at New Jersey Devils - Flyers (-1.5) @ 3.25 (Stan James) I am astonished at these odds for quite possibly the best team in the league against the worst. The Flyers have been rested for a few days but face a terrible New Jersey side who has only won 1 of their last 6 home games, whereas the Flyers are 6-2 of their last 8 road games. They've beaten Detroit and LA on the current road trip but dropped games at Anaheim and Vancouver. However, those two teams have goals in them and quite good goaltending where as New Jersey don't. I would be surprised if Philadelphia didn't win this and cannot refuse the odds for the puckline.
Got the win. :ok

Re: NHL - January 2011 picks Toronto Maple Leafs at Atlanta Thrashers - Over 5.5 goals @ 1.95 (Stan James) Main reason for this bet is that they are both high scoring teams, basically. Atlanta will be the favourites and have scored at least three goals in 3 out of their last four games, and some of them have been against tough defensive teams, Montreal for example. With Toronto struggling to stop the goals going in, letting in five goals in their most recent game, they've also scored plenty, five goals against St. Louis and I'm hoping for another high scoring game here. The Over is 7-2 in their last 9 meetings and I'm hoping there will be one more in the win column after tonight.

Re: NHL - January 2011 picks Detroit Red Wings at Calgary Flames - Detroit Red Wings in 60 minutes @ 2.25 (unibet) After losing two home games against the Islanders and the Flyers, Detroit returned to winning ways with a convincing road win at the Oilers. Detroit have won their last 4 road games, against some tough teams (Dallas, Colorado) and are very capable of beating a poor Flames side who lost their most recent home game against the Islanders 5-2. Detroit are better in every sense and the odds are generous. If you're feeling lucky too the -1.5 is 3.35 on Boyle Sports.

SportIce Hockey
EventAtlanta Thrashers - Toronto Maple Leafs
Selectionover 5.5
Strength10/10
Date08/01/2011
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 1.95
ReasoningToronto last night match with St Louis was terific, they were 1-2 behind before taking a 5-2 lead to allowed 3 late goals for 5-5 and struggle the win in a shootout. Maple Leafs won 2 of last 3 matches recording 2 over and they scored 11 goals in these two matches. Maple Leafs won last two away matches scoring 9 goals 4 in New Jersey and 5 in Ottawa against local rivals. On the other hand Atlant are very strong team, they recorded few great matches like 5-0 win against Detroit, 5-0 win against Washington, aslo great match 7-1 with the Devils. The tradition between these two teams is for more and more goals, seven of last nine matches are over. This season they played 3 days before Christmas at Air Canada Center and the result was 6-3 Trashers away win, that's why I expekt another over today. Yesterday Kessel, Grabovski, MacArhur and Versteef remember for their best days and confirmed that they are in excellent fit so Maple Leafs offence seems to be hot today.

SportIce Hockey
EventFlorida Panthers vs. Carolina Hurricanes
SelectionCarolina
Strength10/10
Date08/01/2011
Bookmaker/PriceExpekt @ 2.90
ReasoningThe Hurricanes won five of last seven matches on the road, while Pahnters falled in three of last four matches at home. Carolina won this encounter 20 days ago at BankAtlantic Center (Sunrise, FL) with 3-4 and are looking another great win here because after the poor start of the season now they have a great chance to make playoffs trailing just 5 points but with 2 games in a hand. Florida is hard predictable team but they played 3 games in past 6 days while Carolina played just a game in last eight days and maybe this is the key to this match. Staal was great in past few matches if he keeps that fit this should be another big win for the Hurricanes.

SportIce Hockey
EventDallas Stars - New York Rangers
Selectionover 5.5
Strength10/10
Date08/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price5Dimes @ 2.30
ReasoningDallas have no injuries in their offence, they recorded four over in last five matches, while Rangers are with gour consecutive under but when these two are playing its a joy for the fans because four of last five matches at American Airlines Center are over, and last two matches who were in New York finished 5-2, 2-10. Rangers still has problems in their attack with Callanhan and Prospal injuries but there is another grate strikers there who also scored lot of goals like Gaborik, Dubinsky, Stepan, Avery and this should be a crazy match with many goals.

SportIce Hockey
EventChicago Blackhawks - Ottawa Senators
SelectionChicago Blackhawks (-1.5) (Asian-handicap)
Strength10/10
Date08/01/2011
Bookmaker/PricePaddy Power @ 2.62
ReasoningThe Blackhawks won three of last four games with the Senators, they should give more of them this season because at the half of season are sitting out of playoff spot with 1 point less. Towes is expekted to return today and this is a good news for Blackhawks fans, he is one of the most profitable Chicago players. Ottawa had bad days last month they are coming with three loss in a row, results like 1-5 loss against Toronto, 0-4 loss against Carolina, both two teams are sitting out of playoff spot and their chances are not so good to make it. Spezza the second best Ottawa player in table goal+assist is out of this match with lower body and I think nothing can stop Blackhawks to take 2 points here, this will be great about their fans, while Ottawa are trailing 10 points behind playoff spot in the East and they will have lower motivation in this game.

SportIce Hockey
EventCalgary Flames vs. Detroit Red Wings
SelectionDetroit moneyline
Strength10/10
Date08/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price5Dimes @ 1.89
ReasoningI expect a tough match between Red Wings who are fighting for the President's trophy with Canucks and teams in the East, against the Flames who will give everything for a win today who will keep their playoff chances alive because they are trailling 7 points. Calgary won two and loose 2 of last four home matches, they lost from a teams who arent's so strong Minnesota 1-3 and NY Islanders 2-5, while Detroit has four win in a row on the road, they also won last three matches at Scotiabank Saddledome in regular time. The Red Wings loose few matches at home and I believe they will be more concentrated today in a place where they feel and play fine. Jimmy Howard turn into a best goalie in NHL in December, I watched several his matches and he was incredible on the net, it will be tough for Iginla and company to score even a goal against him and this should be a Red Wings win.

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Vancouver - Edmonton
Selection Vancouver -1.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 07/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.03
Reasoning Usually I don't like to bet on clear favorite matches in NHL, I go against my system to take the -1.5 here, Vancouver is the team on fire, the only problem is they must stop somewhere, I just hope not here, not today, with 11/12 wins, most of them at high score, I expect to confirm their positive form in front of a modest team, only with a big luck Edmonton can win here, but if they lose will be a definitely -1,5 lose. If I'll be wrong will be just my foul, I'm breaking a rule of mine now and get the favorite. My tip: 5-2. Good luck!

SportIce Hockey
EventAnaheim Ducks - Columbus Blue Jackets
SelectionAnaheim Ducks (-0.5) (Asian-handicap)
Strength10/10
Date08/01/2011
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 2.45
ReasoningAnaheim won four of last five home matches without Ryan Getzlaf who is with broken nose after a deflected puck hit his face, 5-2 win against Flyers who are hot in the East, another good match 2-1 win with the champion Chicago. Columbus loose their good position in the table after they loose nine of last ten away matches, thats so unhappy because the Blue Jackets sharted with 8-1 win/loss on the road, now they got 9-10 record. I think Ducks are better team, they have very good players like Perry, Ryan, Koivu, Selanne and its a comfortable time to stop that loosing strike against Columbus who won last three matches between.

SportIce Hockey
EventVancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers
SelectionOilers (-1,5) (Asian-handicap)
Strength3/10
Date08/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price5Dimes @ 11.00
ReasoningOilers stopped their loosing strike yesterday against a team who was won five of last six games more of them against strong teams who are fighting for President's trophy Penguins, Red Wings I mean Islanders and now its a time for another great victory. Canucks won seven of last eight matches with Oilers, they also won 19 of last 21 games they are so strong, but Oilers proved that they can took a scalp of big teams defeating Chicago twice on the road 4-7, 1-2 and last match at Rogers Arena they took a 2-0 lead before but have no luck with many hit posts and loose 2-3. The Oilers game is with fast counters who are very dangerous and if they have more luck today and Dubnyk lock the net, this may be their win. Hemsky is very dangeorus and I'm sure that Canucks will underestimate their poor rival and that should be used by Oilers.

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Vancouver - Edmonton
Selection Vancouver -1.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 07/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.03
Reasoning Usually I don't like to bet on clear favorite matches in NHL, I go against my system to take the -1.5 here, Vancouver is the team on fire, the only problem is they must stop somewhere, I just hope not here, not today, with 11/12 wins, most of them at high score, I expect to confirm their positive form in front of a modest team, only with a big luck Edmonton can win here, but if they lose will be a definitely -1,5 lose. If I'll be wrong will be just my foul, I'm breaking a rule of mine now and get the favorite. My tip: 5-2. Good luck!
if nba was 2/4 here was 6-1

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Philadelphia - New Jersey
Selection Philadelphia -1.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 08/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.13
Reasoning Even if I broke again my rule: not to bet on favorite teams in NHL, I can't not to put this one, the same like Vancouver last night, odd over 2 for -1,5 win, was 6-1, even if NHL some teams can't hold the ritm, just came from Jersey where won 2-4 after was leaded 2-1, home with a great line, away Jersey with 4 wins and 15 lose, I believe this must be an easy win for home team, I didn't find -2.5 so I just put -1.5. My tip: 5-1. Good luck!

Re: NHL - January 2011 picks Tampa Bay Lightning at Ottawa Senators - Lightning (-1.5) @ 3.25 (Boylesports) Lightning have had a few days to think about their 8-1 thrashing at the hands of the Penguins and they face the Senators on the road where they get a chance to redeem themselves. They have a solid 12-9-3 road record compared to Ottawa's weak home record, 9-11-2. I expect Tampa Bay to bounce back here and thrash the short of confidence Senators who have lost their last 2 home games 5-1 to Toronto Maple Leafs, and 4-0 to Carolina Hurricanes and with the talents of Stamkos, St. Louis, and Lecavalier they have the weapons to beat this handicap.

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Philadelphia - New Jersey
Selection Philadelphia -1.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 08/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Pinnacle Sports @ 2.13
Reasoning Even if I broke again my rule: not to bet on favorite teams in NHL, I can't not to put this one, the same like Vancouver last night, odd over 2 for -1,5 win, was 6-1, even if NHL some teams can't hold the ritm, just came from Jersey where won 2-4 after was leaded 2-1, home with a great line, away Jersey with 4 wins and 15 lose, I believe this must be an easy win for home team, I didn't find -2.5 so I just put -1.5. My tip: 5-1. Good luck!
2-1 ugly match, shame on Flayers that couldn't score in last 45 minutes and in 1.20 min with empty net... ruined my day from a 7-1 it became a 6-2 :(

Tip Detail
Sport Ice Hockey
Event Ottawa Senators - Tampa Bay Lightning
Selection Tampa Bay
Strength 10/10
Date 08/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Centrebet @ 2.35
Reasoning Ottawa have not easy time now, they are in bad form, and lost last 4 games in a row.. It's not easy to play without star center Jason Spezza who is out of injury, and their best goalie Pascal Leclaire is out too.. So I think this evening they will produce something interesting. Tampa had nice run before losing at Pittsburg 8-1, in that game Tampa players looked very unmotivated, and watched how Pittsburg is skating on Ice. I think they will be hard motivated today, to recover after heavy loss, for me Tampa's M.St.Luis and S.Stamkos are one of the best players in NHL, and for me Tampa have good chance to beat out of form Ottawa this night.

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Washington Capitals - Florida Panthers
Selection Washington -1.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 08/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Betway @ 2.30
Reasoning Washington lost last game at home against Tampa Bay in overtime, 0-1.. It dissappointed me very much, because I can't imagine Washington to leave Ice without any goal scored.. They were ashamed at home in last game against Florida 0-3, this was the worst game what they showed in this season, and I'm sure Capitals players will be eager to come back on winning ways, and destroy Florida.. Florida is struggling team in Eastern Conference, they just have mediocre roster for NHL, and are one of the weakest side. To compare this teams players I see huge difference between class, and I think players like A.Ovechkin,B.Laich,M.Johansson, N.Backstrom, A.Semin and M.Knuble can make difference today, and trash Florida in front of their supporters.

Sport Ice Hockey
Event St. Louis Blues - New York Rangers
Selection St. Louis
Strength 10/10
Date 09/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Gamebookers @ 2.20
Reasoning I like very much St.Louis at home, this team is playing always with full heart in front of their supporters, and are looking always dangerous there.. Here is one very interesting thing too Rangers don't won at St.Louis about 5 years, and they hope that new signing Mats Zuccarello will make impact for Rangers, and will help them to beat home side after so long period... But I don't think that it will be easy to do, because I rate St. Louis in better form team at this time, and I'm sure they will dominate at home over unstable Rangers in this match.

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Los Angeles Kings - Columbus Blue Jackets
Selection Los Angeles -1.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength 10/10
Date 09/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price Betway @ 2.60
Reasoning LA Kings struggling hard 5 games in a row, they lost all games with high goals margin, and their defensive line looked very shaky. I think it's time that Kings come back, and they have perfect opportunity to do it today, because they will face Columbus Blue Jackets, who have not good time like Kings, and are losing streak.. They looked awful in previous round at Anaheim and were totally outplayed by home team 6-0.. I think they are one of the poorest travelers in NHL, and LA Kings must use it.. I hope Kings will be more concentrated in defense and beat struggling Blue Jackets.

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Los Angeles - Columbus
Strength 10/10
Date 08/01/2011
Reasoning LA is much better that Blue Jackets, but last 5 matches was a total mess for them, 5 lose, last 4 at home, 9-17 goals, that's not the real face of LA, at home, from last season it became a power, I don't know when happen again that in 5 matches to receive 23 goals, in only 5 matches they concede a quarter of all goals this season. They have the perfect day to became a wiener today, Columbus on a 4 matches road lost first 3 with no problems, 4-1 at Predators, 4-2 at Coyotes and 6-0 last night at Ducks (here 6-0, wow, Duck is really bad this season...) so I just don't see them recovering and wining this match, only with a tone of luck. My tip 5-1. Good luck!

SportIce Hockey
EventVancouver Canucks - Detroit Red Wings
Selectionover 5.5
Strength10/10
Date09/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price5Dimes @ 1.77
ReasoningThis should be a crazy match, today are playing both two best teams in nhl at the moment and they always make high scogring matches between. The last five matches at Rogers Arena finished with many goals, 6-4 and 4-3 Canucks win and 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 Red Wings win, so that make 5 big over in a row. The Canucks are in incredible winning strike 18 of last 20 matches have been won, they loose just one game 5-4 at Red Wings in last 13, but they defeated Red Wings 6-4 at home earlier in the season. The Red Wings are in a 5-game winning strike on the road, their last four away matches are over, scoring 21 goals which is average 5.2 goals per match, but also they allowed 13 goals, which is more than 3 per matchs, while Canucks scored 15 goals in last three home matches. This encounter finished over in last four matches, also 6 of last 7 matches between are over. This should be an easy over maybe 10 or even more goals today.

SportIce Hockey
EventLos Angeles Kings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets
Selectionover 5.5
Strength10/10
Date09/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price5Dimes @ 2.19
ReasoningLos Angeles Kings are in a five-games loosing strike, including last four who were at home, but they recorded four over in last five matches. The Kings fall 4-7 with Flyers, 2-5 with Nasville, 3-4 with Blackhawks all that at home and 6-3 loss at the Coyotes in last five matches. The Blue Jackets also recorded two over in last two matches who were on the road, they also got three over in last four matches. This season they played already at Staples Center 3-5 away win for the Blue Jackets earilier in the season, the last four matches at Staples are four big over 3-5, 4-5 away win and 6-0, 6-2 home win. These teams always can surprise himself but maybe the most important reason choosing over here is that Blue Jackets need to stop that bad strike on the road they falled in 10 of last 11 away matches, while Kings who are best homer 13-6 lost last four at home another reason for both teams to look for a many goals here.

Tampa Bay Lightning at Ottawa Senators - Lightning (-1.5) @ 3.25 (Boylesports) Lightning have had a few days to think about their 8-1 thrashing at the hands of the Penguins and they face the Senators on the road where they get a chance to redeem themselves. They have a solid 12-9-3 road record compared to Ottawa's weak home record, 9-11-2. I expect Tampa Bay to bounce back here and thrash the short of confidence Senators who have lost their last 2 home games 5-1 to Toronto Maple Leafs, and 4-0 to Carolina Hurricanes and with the talents of Stamkos, St. Louis, and Lecavalier they have the weapons to beat this handicap.
Quite unlucky with this. Was between this and the win 60 mins too. Think Ottawa played better today, but still wasn't quite enough for the win.

Sport Ice Hockey
Event Los Angeles - Columbus
Strength 10/10
Date 08/01/2011
Reasoning LA is much better that Blue Jackets, but last 5 matches was a total mess for them, 5 lose, last 4 at home, 9-17 goals, that's not the real face of LA, at home, from last season it became a power, I don't know when happen again that in 5 matches to receive 23 goals, in only 5 matches they concede a quarter of all goals this season. They have the perfect day to became a wiener today, Columbus on a 4 matches road lost first 3 with no problems, 4-1 at Predators, 4-2 at Coyotes and 6-0 last night at Ducks (here 6-0, wow, Duck is really bad this season...) so I just don't see them recovering and wining this match, only with a tone of luck. My tip 5-1. Good luck!
6-4, but hard, 4-0..4-3..5-3..5-4 with two minutes left and empty net gal 6-4

SportIce Hockey
EventCarolina Hurricanes - Atlanta Thrashers
SelectionCarolina -1.5 (Asian-handicap)
Strength10/10
Date09/01/2011
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 3.40
ReasoningThe tradition between these two is the team who play on the road win this encounter that happened in last ten matches, and most interesting is that nine of these games away team won with two goals or more. I think that strike should be stop today because Atlanta is in a weak fit loosing last match 3-9 against the outsider Toronto. On the other hand Carolina is trying to clinche a playoff spot, they are with five points behind but with two games in a hand. Carolina won four of last six matches, while Atlanta lost even against the Devils 3-1 on the road that was just few days before.

SportIce Hockey
EventNew Jersey Devils - Tampa Bay Lightning
SelectionTampa Bay Lightning (-1.5) (Asian-handicap)
Strength10/10
Date09/01/2011
Bookmaker/PricePinnacle Sports @ 3.26
ReasoningTampa dind't do so well on the road but they still have over 50% 12 win 11 loss, before Pittburg's loss 8-1, they defeated another great team Washington 0-1 away win. The Lightning won 7 of last 10 matches, they are just 2 points behind East conference leader the Flyers, so if they win today they will take a lead there for the first time ever and thats their big chance because today are playing with the weakest team in nhl. The Devils lost so many matches, I stopped to count them but at home Devils are with recorded 6 win 15 loss, the moment fit is so weak one win and nine loss in last ten matches, also just two won games in last 16 games. Tampa won four of last five matches, they won ten of last 13 matches. These two played once this season when Tampa won 2-4 on the road and this should be another great away win with two pucks or more.

SportIce Hockey
EventAnaheim Ducks - San Jose Sharks
Selectionover 5.5
Strength10/10
Date10/01/2011
Bookmaker/Price5Dimes @ 2.17
ReasoningI expect another tough match between these two Pacific division rivals. San Jose lost past three matches who were at home, they are now out of the playoff spot so they should throw everything in their attack today. The Sharks won four of last five away games, recording three over in last four. The Sharks scored 17 goals in last five away matches which is 3.5 pucks per match. On the other hand Ducks won four of last five home games, recording three over with 20 goals scored, so thats exaclty 4 goals per match in that strike. The last Ducks match finished 6-0 win against Blue Jackets, but the Sharks are with very strong offence Thornton, Marleau, Heatley, Setoguchi, Coucher can surpise each goaltender. Two of last three matches between are over. Anaheim offence looks also far better than their deffence, Selanne scored two in last match, also did Ryan, Perry, Koivu scored in previous match.