** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai World Championship

RussP

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Ballintines Championship

Kim Dae-Hyun @ 201 ew BetFred Another player who clearly enjoys playing at home with a recent record of 5-7-2-1-14-7-13. The worst tournament in that sequence was a 14th at this tournament last year showing that he wont be overawed by the field in front of him. Missed the cut last week in China but hitting a second round 70 showed his game is still in decent working order having finished 5th on his last start before this (in Korea). He porbably wont have enough class to hang on but at 200s I'm willing to find out how good he can be on home soil! GL :hope
Kim Dae-hyun lying 3 shots off Rumford and Jimenez after 11 shots in the suspended 3rd round. Hopefully he can give the home crowd (and me!) something to shout about tomorrow :hope

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay I know that most will be focusing on the world matchplay but there is also the lower class Madeira Islands Open where last years champion James Morrison is a worthy favourite. I have great memories of last years tournament but having taken him at 50s last year, I cant have him at 18s now despite his decent form. What we're looking for is a player who can hit fairways and hole putts who is desperate to take advantage of the lower class tournament on the mainland (such as Morrison and Goya over the past two years); I have taken a couple of guys at pretty tasty prices who I feel fit the bill. Matthew Nixon @ 81 ew PaddyPower If you're looking for someone who can hit fairways and hole putts then Nixon is your man. 9th in driving accuracy and 14th in putts/GIR, and a rookie on tour, Nixon certainly fits the mould of a winner around here. He's played quite well this year with two top 15s in 8 tournaments so far. Started like a train last week with a 65 to lay 3rd and was level with eventual winner Darren Clarke in 2nd at the halfway point; however, the pressure and windy conditions eventually got to him as he faded to a mid-field finish. Hopefully he'll have learned from last week and with a bit of form on a course that should suit, I'm hoping Nixon can get in the mix once again. Charles-Edouard Russo @ 81 ew Ladbrokes This price will not last; a best of 51 elsewhere, Russo should thrive this week. He's currently 5th on the Challenge Tour money list with finishes of 2-13-39-11 with the 11th place finish occuring last week where he hit two rounds of 67; this good form is just a follow on from the end of last year when he had 3 top 8 finishes in his last 4 tournaments. What I really like about him, however, is that he showed a liking for the course last year after an opening round of 74 he played the final 3 rounds in 66-68-67, the joint best in the field with winner Morrison. At 80s in very good current form, good course form and good motivation, he is a must bet for me! GL :hope

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay Couple of outsiders each way i like from each half Anders Hansen @ 50-1 [Ladbrokes]..Three top 3 finishes in last six events..[54-1 on Betfair]:( Ryan Moore @ 35-1 [bet365]..About to contend in 3rd round of players last week before horror 16th hole stopped him in his tracks..[41-1 on Betfair]:$

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay Two for me in the Matchplay. 1pt ew I.Poulter to win Volvo World Matchplay 16/1 Betfred (1/4 1-4) Normally I have a select few players who I always look at in an outright market when matchplay comes along and Ian Poulter is definitely one of those. We've all seen what the Ryder Cup does for him and how he thrives on the format in that event and we shouldn't forget he won the Accenture Matchplay in Tucson last year and won it very well too beating another accomplished match player in Paul Casey in the final. It's fair to say Poulter's game hasn't been to the standard he'd like it this season but there's nothing like the one on one competitive matchplay to bring out his best golf. I don't think he's been too far off anyway. A lucky bounce here or there and he would be going nicely. I feel his game is on the edge of delivering something good. He has all the ingredients of being a good matchplay golfer - hits it straight, competes hard and holes clutch putts. Very few will relish the format like he will this week. He can't really have asked for a much better draw either. Take out Westwood, who has never convinced me away from the Ryder Cup that he enjoys matchplay, and maybe McIlroy and there's nothing to beat him in the top half of the draw. 16/1 isn't a lot shorter than he was when he won the US version of the matchplay and in a weaker field here I think it represents good value. 0.5pts ew M-A.Jimenez to win Volvo World Matchplay 33/1 Coral (1/4 1-4) I've got a sneaky suspicion that this could be a big price on the Spanish veteran. He clearly enjoys matchplay as his Ryder Cup record would show and that competition along with the Accenture Matchplay where he was a beaten quarter finalist earlier in the year and events like the Seve Trophy have given him a lot of matchplay experience. Unlike Poulter he's got a trickier draw being in the same quarter as Luke Donald but over the 18 hole distance anyone can beat anyone in many ways. One thing Miguel is assured of is the home support which coupled with his competitive edge can lead him quite far in this event at a very big price for someone with his matchplay experience.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay And 3 in the Thursday matches. Taking the last two at slightly lower prices with Stan James as they are refunding losing bets if the matches are tied on the first two days. 4pts M-A.Jimenez to beat C.Schwartzel 13/8 Totesport Match tees off at 11.20 BST. I've already spoken about Jimenez's experience in matchplay and I can't help but feel this match has been priced up on their respective strokeplay abilities. There's no doubt Schwartzel is having a breakthrough season in terms of having won his first major and had a very good South African leg of the European Tour too but this is 18 hole matchplay and I favour the Spaniard in this one. He's much more experienced both in the format and probably in conditions with this event coming from his homeland. I completely respect Schwartzel's achievements this season but this isn't strokeplay and I just feel Jimenez will be up for this enough to beat the Masters champion at a very tasty price. 3pts P.Casey to beat A.Quiros 11/10 Stan James Match tees off at 11.35 BST. Although this is a pickem match I have to side with Casey's better matchplay qualities here. In many ways this will be a classic matchplay match with Quiros outhitting Casey but in matchplay I think that's Casey's advantage in that he can get into the greens first and put the pressure on the powerful Spaniard. Sure Quiros is going to be hitting some short irons into the greens but it's amazing how in this format having your opponent close when you shoot makes the green go a lot smaller and holes even more so. Casey has a tremendous record in matchplay golf be it in this event when it was at Wentworth, be it the Accenture or the Ryder Cup. He's thrived in all three tournaments and although his game isn't really there at the minute, if the one on one combat can rediscover his best form I think Casey is the one to beat here. 3pts A.Hansen to beat L.Westwood 2/1 Stan James Match tees off at 12.50 BST. Anders Hansen looks a big price here given the form he's in at the minute albeit in strokeplay events. I'm convinced Westwood doesn't enjoy matchplay competitions. His record in them away from the Ryder Cup isn't great but with the game he has there's absolutely no reason why the Dane can't flourish in this environment. He hits the ball straight, finds greens regularly and is a pretty decent putter by European Tour standards. Sure Westwood is the favourite for this match probably as much for his experience as the state of his game at present but this is 18 hole matchplay. Anyone can beat anyone with a fast start and given the confidence which must be in Hansen's game at present with the good trot he's on I'll take him to make that fast start and upset the number one seed on the opening day of the championship.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay 0.50pt profit on the day after Jimenez won. Hansen walked into some wonder golf from Westwood while Casey is just shit :lol. 4 for the morning. Hitting them early because the markets are still settling down. 5pts I.Poulter to beat P.Lawrie 4/5 Totesport Match tees off at 06.45 BST. I like Ian Poulter here. I was so impressed with his fighting spirit today. He's clearly fighting himself on the greens which as a Poulter fan is annoying because it's the best part of his game I think and so to fight Molinari as well took some doing but to come from 3 down after 3 holes to grab a share of that match shows all the bulldog spirit this format brings out of him. When you look at it and see Poulter was never ahead against FMo you'd assume he played crap but he was actually 3 under on a tricky golf course. Paul Lawrie won the Open de Andalucia not too far from here earlier in the year but he hasn't played a lot of matchplay for a while and now he knows he needs one win in his two Friday matches he could be forgiven for saving himself a little bit on this very hilly course for his weaker afternoon opponent. Poulter needs the win here and I expect him to get it. 4pts R.Goosen to beat N.Colsaerts 10/11 Boylesports Match tees off at 07.15 BST. Retief Goosen was involved in a thriller against Rory McIlroy on Thursday and if he carries that form into Friday morning he should have way too much for the Belgian here. Goosen was four under for his round on Thursday and would've got a half out of the match but for McIlroy chipping in at the last to secure victory. It was a high quality performance from the South African. Colsaerts can't have much professional matchplay experience and you would imagine that will cost him dear in this event. Goosen could hardly be more experienced in matchplay whether it's this event either here on at Wentworth, the Accenture or the Presidents Cup. Goosen is playing well and although Colsaerts won in China earlier in the year this is a lot different and so I'll take the South African here. 3pts J.Vegas to beat L.Oosthuizen 7/4 Bet365 Match tees off at 07.25 BST. I'm going slightly against my experience in matchplay tactic here although in saying that Oosthuizen isn't going to have a lot of pro matchplay experience. He was woeful against Graeme McDowell on Thursday. McDowell was pretty poor himself in the main but he still beat Oosthuizen 3&1 and did it probably more comfortably than that. If Gmac hadn't gone walkabouts round the turn this one would've been over by the 13th or 14th. We have to assume Oosty will be better than that but it's no guarantee and at the price I'll take the risk he isn't. Jonny Vegas won't have played a lot of matchplay golf but he does make a lot of birdies in strokeplay and is very aggressive and goes at the flags. Vegas is never short of confidence and I think he's a decent price to take out the Open champion who could only shoot two over par for his 17 holes on Thursday. 3pts R.Fisher to beat R.Moore Evs Totesport Match tees off at 07.45 BST. Defending champion Ross Fisher kicks off his campaign in this match and we know he's a good player. A former semi finalist in the Accenture and winner of this he then added a Ryder Cup appearance to his matchplay portfolio last year and it was an appearance he cherished and performed very well in. It's fair to say his game hasn't been as good as it often is so far this year but as I've said about others this week the one on one conflict can bring out that missing edge to a player's game and I expect that to happen to Fisher here. Ryan Moore played the Accenture champion Luke Donald on Thursday and was comfortably beaten. He went round the 15 holes he played in one over par and I really think he'll need to go under par to beat the defending champ here. Moore doesn't have a lot of European course experience or professional matchplay experience. Both of those factors are in Fisher's favour and I expect the result to be too once these two hit the clubhouse after their round.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay I think that treble will be pretty popular mate. Can see myself regretting not staking more on Fisher but I'm a bit wary about him having 2 matches to play tomorrow and Moore having already sampled the course hence the lower stake. Very much hoping for a good return from those though and for the outrights to run a decent length of time too.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay Fisher's insane run at the end saved this morning. One for this afternoon. Will update the tournament tally after this as they tee off soon. 3pts S-Y.Noh to beat M.Kaymer 12/5 Boylesports Match tees off at 12.30 BST. I'm not going mad on this for a couple of reasons, firstly they are both through and secondly I'm concerned that two rounds around this physical testing course in the same day is a big ask although the Korean is a young man and should be able to cope with it. If he does cope then I think he has every chance in this one at a massive price. Noh walloped Yang this morning with a flurry of birdies and went round in five under par which is sensational golf around this golf course. Kaymer was nothing like as impressive as Noh in beating Yang. He shot one over par so the bare scorecards gives Noh every chance in this match. I can't work out why Kaymer is going through these swing changes but he is and it isn't having any immediate success. Kaymer may just be greatful to be through and against the aggressive youngster I think he'll come second here. Noh was fearless this morning and if he repeats that here he'll have every chance of landing this at a big price for an 18 hole match.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay -4.25 overall now after Miguel lost a playoff :(. Ain't looking great for Poults either but if he beats Westwood this thing opens right up for him. Two for the last 16. Won't be no QF bets. 4pts C.Schwartzel to beat R.Fisher 5/6 Blue Square Match tees off at 07.05 BST. I took Charl Schwartzel on in the opening round when he got gubbed by Miguel Angel Jimenez but he made up for that by coming out and beating Johan Edfors on Friday with a seriously good round of golf which had him at six under for the round. Even allowing for the fact not all putts are seen into the hole that's good golf. Especially around here. Fisher is the defending champion here and a mighty fine match play golfer in his own right but that's about as much as can be said about him in truth. He's done well to still be in this tournament because had it not been for Ryan Moore losing the last four holes, most of them with bogeys, against him he would've been out. Fisher has shot level par for both rounds but the way Schwartzel is putting at the minute Fisher will have to better than to prevail here. We've seen no evidence he will recently so I'll go with the Masters champion in this one. 3pts J.Vegas to beat N.Colsaerts 6/5 VC Match tees off at 07.25 BST. I like Vegas here. He lost to McDowell on Friday afternoon but he shot five under par which goes to show how good the match was. Colsaerts had a couple of top names on his beaten list this week but he hasn't had to play all that well to win those matches. Vegas is -7 for his two matches which is excellent play around this golf course and while the Belgian was -3 agaisnt McIlroy there wasn't a lot on that match and we saw with his opening nine against Retief that the pressure can be a bit much to handle. Jonny V is loving it out here and is playing good golf to boot. I'd have him favourite for this so I'll take the 6/5 on the Venezuelan.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay

1pt ew I.Poulter to win Volvo World Matchplay 16/1 Betfred (1/4 1-4) Normally I have a select few players who I always look at in an outright market when matchplay comes along and Ian Poulter is definitely one of those. We've all seen what the Ryder Cup does for him and how he thrives on the format in that event and we shouldn't forget he won the Accenture Matchplay in Tucson last year and won it very well too beating another accomplished match player in Paul Casey in the final. It's fair to say Poulter's game hasn't been to the standard he'd like it this season but there's nothing like the one on one competitive matchplay to bring out his best golf. I don't think he's been too far off anyway. A lucky bounce here or there and he would be going nicely. I feel his game is on the edge of delivering something good. He has all the ingredients of being a good matchplay golfer - hits it straight, competes hard and holes clutch putts. Very few will relish the format like he will this week. He can't really have asked for a much better draw either. Take out Westwood, who has never convinced me away from the Ryder Cup that he enjoys matchplay, and maybe McIlroy and there's nothing to beat him in the top half of the draw. 16/1 isn't a lot shorter than he was when he won the US version of the matchplay and in a weaker field here I think it represents good value.
I saw this but didn't fancy it for some reason. Got on Donald instead so wasn't too bad in the end. Top shout :clap

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay Ta mate. That's the winner of both matchplay's I've had this year. End this one +16.08pts. Now, how do I go about getting rid of strokeplay forever and getting matchplay in as the norm :lol.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - World Matchplay Can't argue with that. 2/2 matchplay winners, at 40's and 16's. Keep 'em coming mate, great shout:ok Also, let's give a lot of credit to Nicolas Colsaerts who played really well to go so deep into a top quality tournament.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - BMW PGA Championship I'll go with last years winner Simon Khan to finish in the top 10 which is 28/1 at totesport. The defending champion at 175/1 to win outright is a bit surprising, He has no recent form to speak of as has missed lhis ast 4 cuts, he has though been looking forward to Wentworth all year. http://www.sportinglife.com/golf/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=golf/11/05/24/GOLF_Column.html&BID=585

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - BMW PGA Championship I'll give strokeplay a go this week with a couple of bets. 1pt ew A.Hansen to win BMW PGA Championship 45/1 Paddy Power (1/4 1-6) I like Anders Hansen this week. One thing I'm keen to avoid in this outright market is anyone who went deep in the Matchplay last week. That was a seriously demanding course physically and 6 rounds in 3-4 days depending on the draw was tough. Anders Hansen went out on the Friday morning but he never played badly. That's perfect for me. Confidence wasn't dented too much because he walked into two insane opponents and he didn't waste too much energy so should still be fresh coming into this event, an event he's won twice in the past. We saw in Dubai earlier in the year that he can tackle a decent field and he's also had a top 10 in the WGC event too which shows he's playing well. I think the changes to the Wentworth golf course suit him with bombing it down the par 5's no longer as helpful as it once was. Hansen has a Wentworth profile. Hits it straight, finds greens and putts pretty well. I think he's got the qualities to go close this week. 1pt ew P.Lawrie Top GB&Ire Player 45/1 Stan James (1/4 1-4) Paul Lawrie is another who tasted the matchplay last week but got knocked out early enough for his preparation for this tournament to be relatively unaffected. Lawrie never played badly last week by any means. He was in a tough group having not played Matchplay for a while. In strokeplay recently he's been mustard even in poor fields. He won the Open de Andalucia and then his next two tournaments he was tied for 5th. There's arguably few hotter players than him at the minute. He was runner up at Wentworth in the past and like Hansen the course changes will have done the Scot no harm. In this market we've got the likes of Donald, Poulter, Westwood, McIlroy and McDowell who did play a fair amount of golf in Spain last week and that adds to Lawrie's value here. I think Lawrie's game suits this place and his form is fantastic right now. I expect a bold showing from the Scot but I'll keep the field condensed as far as he's concerned.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - BMW PGA Championship I had a daft little go at Richard Finch @390. He's been shooting some superb rounds of late. 5, 6 unders all over the place. Only problem is he's pairing them with 4 and 5 overs. I'm gonna look for him to finally put together 4 rounds together at good odds. Also ranks top 5 in GIR on the European Tour - most of the others in the top 5 over the years have had a win, so reaching for that to continue here.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Italian Open Throw a few coins at the Italian Open as I feel some of the odds look a tad generous - all with ToteSport. David Horsey @ 34 ew Feast or famine with Horsey in general but 3 top 7s (including a win) in his last 6 starts bodes well. He can clearly play the course having finished runner up here last year. Feel this is a good price for a guy who can clearly get the job done in what is not the strongest field he'll face all year. Peter Whiteford @ 51 ew Seven consecutive made cuts shows that Whiteford is playing well and with 3 top 10s this season he can definitely challenge this week. His recent form is great with top 8 finishes at both Wentworth and Celtic Manor last week. His other top 10 this year was a 5th in Sicily, and he also won the Challenge Tour final in 2009 in Italy, so he feels comfortable in the region. Missed the cut here in 2009 but followed up his opening 79 with a 66. Having learnt how to play the course after that second round he came back last year and finished top 15 having been 3rd after three rounds. A three time Challenge Tour winner playing some fantastic golf at decent odds. Scott Jamieson @ 101 ew No course form to speak of here, however, his form this year has been very impressive. Five top 12s in his last 9 tournaments is very impressive. He was also in the top 10 at the halfway point at Wentworth before fading away and after that effort I'll forgive his missed cut last week. His form in Italy reads 5-17-8-42-11 which is quite promising and at 3 figure odds I'll give Jamieson a whirl this week. Jamie Elson @ 126 ew Three ew payouts this year in only 11 starts show that Jamie Elson should not be 3 figure pricings. Add in his 5th in Sicily this year and a top 25 at this course last year and Elson looks a decent prospect at very tasty odds. GL :hope

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Italian Open Shame Peter Whiteford doubled the last to finish on -4 but the first morning looks good with Horsey and Whiteford on -4, and Jamieson on -7! Hopefully the rest of the weeks golf will carry on this well :hope

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - BMW Championship I must confess I don't follow the European Tour as much as I do the PGA, but there's one name that interests me Niclas Fasth @ 126 Sportingbet Australia Also Lowest Round Score of Event @ 101 Sportingbet Australia Fasth has had some good leaderboard presence of late. He finished 6th in his last outing and also had a Top 15 finish in the Open de Espana -- a result that could have been so much better had it not been for a double and triple bogey in the space of 3 holes in the 2nd round (he still shot an even par for that round!). He is also a previous winner of this tournament and has a recent 4th placing to make him a player that ticks all 3 boxes of a great golf bet: Over 100-1 or more? Check Recent Leaderboard presence? Check Strong Course Form? Check Now watch the bogeys go in :lol

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - BMW Championship Matthew Zions @ 250s ew ToteSport Cant resist having a go on last weeks winner at such a mammoth prize. He didnt just beat the field - he destroyed them. 7 shots. Only 4 people breaking par and he hits -8. Top 20 for distance, accuracy, GIR and putting. The guy clearly played great golf, but suddenly, because he won in weak opposition, he is dismissed. 250/1? Thank you very much! He'll either be hungover or absolutely buzzing. At that ridiculous price I'll pay to find out!! GL:hope

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Open de France Thomas Bjorn/Romain Wattel/Mark Foster - Mark Foster @ 2.63 - Coral 2.5pts Thomas Bjorn has had a hard time of it recently. He withdrew from the Italian Open and then missed the cut in Munich last time out. Thomas has been a slow starter on tour this year and it usually takes a round before he can play some decent golf. He shot a 72 in his first round last year in this tournament but then improved in later rounds. Wattel is an unknown to me because I haven't seen him play but he misses a lot of cuts. 7 times out of 16 events this year which obviously doesn't bode well for this first round 3-ball. My pick here in Mark Foster has been in decent form this year. Missing only 2/13 cuts in 2011, coming close in Munich last week however bottling it in the last round. Foster also started well in Wales before crumbling. The course in France looks a little tricky and Foster's GIR percentage (67.63) should set him in good stead.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Open de France

Thomas Bjorn/Romain Wattel/Mark Foster - Mark Foster @ 2.63 - Coral 2.5pts Thomas Bjorn has had a hard time of it recently. He withdrew from the Italian Open and then missed the cut in Munich last time out. Thomas has been a slow starter on tour this year and it usually takes a round before he can play some decent golf. He shot a 72 in his first round last year in this tournament but then improved in later rounds. Wattel is an unknown to me because I haven't seen him play but he misses a lot of cuts. 7 times out of 16 events this year which obviously doesn't bode well for this first round 3-ball. My pick here in Mark Foster has been in decent form this year. Missing only 2/13 cuts in 2011, coming close in Munich last week however bottling it in the last round. Foster also started well in Wales before crumbling. The course in France looks a little tricky and Foster's GIR percentage (67.63) should set him in good stead.
Bet won :ok Foster (-3), Bjorn (Par), Wattel (+6).

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Open de France Matthew Zions/Joost Luiten/Alex Cejka - Joost Luiten @ 2.10 - Ladbrokes 2pts This group didn't make much damage at the top of the leaderboard in the first round with Luiten and Zions finishing level par whilst Cejka takes a 2 over par score into Friday morning's round. Luiten has very recently added a new putter into his bag which may take some getting used to. He made 3 birdies (3rd, 11th and 14th) today but then bogeyed the 2nd, 7th and 13th holes. He hit 12/14 fairways and found the GIR 14 times this afternoon, but he felt his putting let him down. Zions is an able challenger having had a decent round but I feel Luiten gets more birdie chances then he and Cejka who isn't having a great year by taking a quick glance at his stats. Luiten's 2011 GIR percentage of 74.17 is pretty impressive, he just needs to tame the new putter fairly quickly.