** March Poker League Result : =1st Bridscott, =1st Like2Fish, 3rd avongirl **
** Cheltenham Tipster Competition Result : 1st Old codger, 2nd sirspread, 3rd Bathtime For Rupert **

Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai World Championship

RussP

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai Desert Classic another big desert tournament this week with the Desert Classic attracting Tiger this week !! Kaymer and Westwood will something to say and can expect to be in the finish however odds are short on a number of players Westwood flopped last week but lost in a play off in this tournamentlast year after missing 2 putts on the last to win. 12/1 with Paddy Power is an attractive price with Woods and Kaymer less than half those odds. Dont discount Thomas Bjorn having another good run after his win last week. He has won this before albeit 10 years ago and has adapted to the deseert well this year. 50/1 with Paddy Power catches my eye Mcilroy often gets a flier and can do so again to lead on day 1. He didnt play last week and will be well up fr this challenge Bets - winner Westwood 12/1 2pts win Bjorn 50/1 1pt win 1st rd leader Mcilroy 12/1 Bet365 1pt win

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai Desert Classic 2pts ew R.Fisher Top Englishman 7/1 VC (1/5 1,2,3,4) Ross Fisher is a player I rate quite highly. He hasn't had the start to 2011 he'd have liked in terms of challenging for titles but he was solid enough in Abu Dhabi without being competitive and he recovered from having the worst of the conditions and shooting 80 in Qatar last week to shoot a confidence boosting 68 in the second round and although he missed the cut he should come into this week in a decent frame of mind. He's played the Desert Classic 4 times in the past and hasn't been outside the top 13 yet so it's a tournament and a course he clearly seems to enjoy playing. His credentials suit the course so that's no surprise. This is a seriously stellar field this week though so I think rather than run the risk of the outright market I'll eliminate a lot of the main protagonists this week and take Fisher on the Top Englishman market, a market he and Lee Westwood dominate. It isn't a super strong turnout among the English players this week and at 7/1 Fisher looks like a good ew punt to be the Top Englishman in Dubai this week.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai Desert Classic Having just had a look at various bets just now I see McIlroy has had a good round -7. The bet that caught my attention was The big 4 v the field personally I think its the big 3 as Woods seems to have lost his touch. I just took the field @ 2.1 which should see me in with a shout at the death

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai Desert Classic I'm taking 2 bets going into the final round tomorrow: T.Woods - Outright Winner - 4/1 - VCBet - 2pts I think Tiger is up for this and can see him doing enough to reclaim the title he won back in 2008. He's obviously a class act but questions have remained over his temperament and hunger since his return. For me his back 9 today proved he is up for entering the winners enclosure again. He was +4 for the front 9 and looking like struggling but pulled things together nicely with an eagle and a few birdies to finish level for the round and -7 for the tournament so far, just 1 off the lead. There are a few quality players around him and just in front, in particular Mcilroy and Quiros but nobody on the planet has the last round experience and experience of winning quite like Tiger. I fancy him to push the leaders and overtake them (on the 19th hole, see below!) for his first victory since returning. Will there be a Playoff? - YES - VCBet - 13/8 - 3pts Not a great deal of explaining needed I don't think. 25 players are at -4 or better, within 4 shots of the leaders on -8. If Tiger was a shot clear i'd leave this alone but him being one back is enough of a 'handicap' for me to think this might need extra holes to come to a conclusion. We've seen how tough the course can be with a bit of wind, if its anything like that tomorrow the last few groups out will be happy settling for pars. Not only will this keep it close but it will also allow those out earlier and not under the spotlight of the final few groups to post a good clubhouse leader. With enough players within 4 shots that have won before, the likes of Woods, Quiros, Mcilroy, Garcia, Westwood and Hanson to name but a few, i'm confident enough nobody will break away and this could go down the 19th at least.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai Desert Classic

Alvaro Quiros @ 19 ew ToteSport I love betting on Quiros - it's always exciting. Without the first day's wind he would have run away with the tournament Martin Kaymer style last week and was very unlucky not to catch Bjorn with a few wholes to go. Clearly playing well (he finished 8th two weeks ago as well) and coming back to a course that he led at going into the final round last year before finished 6th. Finished 13th here the year before that (finishing up with a 64) so can clearly play the course. I expect his upward curve here to continue and after consecutive top 8s, the 18s on offer is more than fair. GL :ok
Two triple bogeys this week and he still wins the tournament...the guy is special! :nana

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Dubai Desert Classic

2pts ew R.Fisher Top Englishman 7/1 VC (1/5 1' date=2,3,4) Ross Fisher is a player I rate quite highly. He hasn't had the start to 2011 he'd have liked in terms of challenging for titles but he was solid enough in Abu Dhabi without being competitive and he recovered from having the worst of the conditions and shooting 80 in Qatar last week to shoot a confidence boosting 68 in the second round and although he missed the cut he should come into this week in a decent frame of mind. He's played the Desert Classic 4 times in the past and hasn't been outside the top 13 yet so it's a tournament and a course he clearly seems to enjoy playing. His credentials suit the course so that's no surprise. This is a seriously stellar field this week though so I think rather than run the risk of the outright market I'll eliminate a lot of the main protagonists this week and take Fisher on the Top Englishman market, a market he and Lee Westwood dominate. It isn't a super strong turnout among the English players this week and at 7/1 Fisher looks like a good ew punt to be the Top Englishman in Dubai this week.
A tied winner with C.Wood if i'm not mistaken? First round leader from Bowles10 Outright winner from the bookies mate, Hornet_18 Another cracking week for the thread :clap:notworthy:nana

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Avantha Masters Gone for some early prices on the Avantha Masters with 4 local boys. Gaganjeet Bhullar @ 34 ew VCBet Bhullar is the biggest rising star of Indian golf. He has started the season in sensational fashion winning his first 3 tournaments in India including one which was co santioned with the Challenge Tour. Add in his record at the course on the lower quality Indian Tour of 2/1/4 he can play the course. Jyoti Randhawa @ 41 ew BoyleSports Randhawa has admittedly been pretty awful for the past 12 months; however, coming back to his home course he should feel pretty good. He has won here twice previously including a 10 shot victory in 2007. He finally showed some good form last week finishing 2nd (albeit a distant 2nd) last week with four rounds in the 60s and that's enough for me to like his chances at his home course. Anirbat Lahiri @ 67 ew BoyleSports So Randhawa finished 8 shots behind someone last week...and it was this man; Anirbat Lahiri. Clearly the guy is playing well. Played 7 tournaments on the home tour last year finishing in the top 10 every time winning 3 times. Finished 3rd here late in 2010 in the DLF masters so worth a try after his massive victory. Ashok Kumar @ 151 ew BoyleSports Kumar made the cut here last year...more importantly he won the DLF masters by 8 shots late last year so he can definitely play the course. He loves playing at home as shown by his 4 wins and 9 other top 10s from 16 tournaments on his home tour. Finished the season as player of the year; has decent credentials at a 3 figure price. And one non-home contingent... Tetsuji Heratsuka @ 36 ew Bet365 Having finished 3rd here in this tournament last year including a second round 62, he ended up winning 3 tournaments on the Asian Tour including late in 2010. His first start of the year it may be, but I think that's added 10 points on to his price so I'll take that risk on a guy who can clearly close out tournaments. GL :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Avantha Masters I've gone with one this week. 1pt ew R.Finch to win Avantha Masters 33/1 Betfred (1/4 1,2,3,4,5) I like Richard Finch this week. He's shown already this season he's in good nick with a couple of top 20's and he was 2nd in this event last year. Accurate hitting is the name of the game this week and Finch is hitting greens like they are a mile wide at the minute. This isn't the strongest field the European Tour will ever assemble, in fact it's one of the weakest really but someone has to win and Finch can be the one to take advantage of that by going one better than he managed here last year.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Avantha Masters An extra small stakes bet for me (I'm having most of the field here!) after doing a bit more research... Rikard Karlberg @ 81 ew Bet365 Won twice last year, both in Dehli so clearly feels comfortable here. Opened the season up last week making the cut in Dubai and has said on his official website he didnt feel great but has had a few sessions with his coach already and has tweaked things and feels really good. Has no course form I can see (hence small bet) but well worth a go at these odds after a 2 out of 2 record in Dehli! Additionally, his two wins on the Asian Tour in India last year came off a T53 and a MC so in this field off a T65 shouldnt be too much of a problem! GL :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Avantha Masters

An extra small stakes bet for me (I'm having most of the field here!) after doing a bit more research... Rikard Karlberg @ 81 ew Bet365 Won twice last year, both in Dehli so clearly feels comfortable here. Opened the season up last week making the cut in Dubai and has said on his official website he didnt feel great but has had a few sessions with his coach already and has tweaked things and feels really good. Has no course form I can see (hence small bet) but well worth a go at these odds after a 2 out of 2 record in Dehli! Additionally, his two wins on the Asian Tour in India last year came off a T53 and a MC so in this field off a T65 shouldnt be too much of a problem! GL :ok
He was one of my picks for the weekly golf tourney for those very reasons! Great minds think a like! ( If only I was as good at picking winners :lol)

• 1 month later...

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Sicilian Open Does look like a pretty poor field...have taken a few at big odds, small stakes players as I dont know much about it if I'm honest! They'll probably all shoot 90 on the first day but I'll give it a go anyway...! Lorenzo Gagli @ 251 ew ToteSport Italian so know he will suit the conditions as he grew up there. Ended last season with 3 top 5s in last 7 starts on Challenge Tour with a tied 3rd in Italy. Has finished top 10 at St Omer in the last two years in this sort of field so I know he can compete at the level. Started the season in S Africa with a couple of made cuts finished top 40 in both and followed that up with a missed cut but opened with a 68 so hasnt been in bad nick. Just feel as he'll be comfortable and desperate to impress on a "home" course he's a bit big at these odds having effectively finished in the e/w places in his last 10 starts! Matt Haines @ 401 ew ToteSport 7 tournaments...7 missed cuts. Pretty awful it's true. But this is a young guy (just turned 21) who is touted for big big things and as such has been snapped up by Nike. Ended last season on the Challenge Tour played in Italy twice in last 3 tournaments - finished 3rd and 1st in the end of season finale so should hopefully feel some good vibes coming back here. In a poor field he can definitely outplay his odds as shown again in a mixed field (St Omer) when finished second last year. Stuart Manley @ 201 ew BetFred Apparently the greens will be easy to hit and this may become who can putt he best...well look no further than the guy top of the putting stats on tour...Stuart Manley at massive odds! Encouragingly his form is actually really good at the moment with 10 top25 finishes in last 12 starts last season (with a top 10 and top 20 in Italy) as well as starting this season with 2 top 15s from 3 starts in South Africa. Shows he can play at the level of this field and I'll take a guy in decent enough nick at these odds. Simon Khan @ 251 ew BetFred Ok, well this is just plain offensive. 10 months ago Simon Khan won at Wentworth...that's right, the European Tours top event. Now he is 250s to win a new event that's with a non-winner who he outplayed that day @ 16s?! Not a chance I'm missing out on that. He hasnt played great this year but made his last cut in the Middle East and this is a guy who finished top 25 at the USPGA at the end of last year. 80s would be about right in my opinion but for the profile he has. 250s...thank you! GL :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Open de Andalucia Stephen Gallacher @ 34 (before commission) outright BetFair I know it's a bit of a risk going for Gallacher at win only but it's with the option to trade in a weaker field. Gallacher has played brilliant golf since about this time last year when he finished 12th on this course with 4 rounds of par or better. His play this year is equally impressive playing 5 tournaments finished 31st or better everytime including 3 top 12s in the high quality fields in the Middle East. Feel that he should go close in this field considering his form and record here and expected worse odds too! Peter Whiteford @ 101 ew BetFred Whiteford played some very good golf last week to finish tied for 5th. Last year he finished in the top 20 six times having graduated from Q School with his best finish coming here when he finished runner up to Oosthuizen. To be honest, it's a little bit confusing why a guy who came 2nd here last year and 5th last week is 3 figure odds so I'll happily take them. Robert Coles @ 126w BetFred Last week, Robert Coles finished 45th to shake off the rust after a month off after the Avantha Masters. His game was in good shape at that tournament but he really should have won having finished runner up so it's good to see that he was still playing solid golf. Last year he really took to the course finished in 4th with 69-64-63 over the first three rounds so there's no doubt he can play the course. Considering he finished runner up on his penultimate start I feel these odds are pretty generous. GL :ok

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Open de Andalucia Very little time for reasoning, but course form used as a big argument. A Noren @ 70/1 Bet365 1 start here, 1 top 5 G Storm @ 110/1 Bet365 1 start here, 1 top 5 M Jonzon @ 500/1 Bet 365 Fascinating price. 3 starts, 1 top 5, 1 top 10 here. Hasnt played in a long time, but closed off the 09 season well with a win in Spain, and an 8th place in South Africa.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Open de Andalucia Posted last night, well wrote the post then PC crashed - typical. Anyway an abridged version.... Quiroz is too erratic for me and therefore too short. I love watching the guy but until he manages to get alittle more control in his gmae I dont think he'll win as much as could do. Jimenez will surely have too many off course involvments to be able to fully focus - if he does win then he must have a magnificent team around him! I'm with STephen Gallagher at the top of the market. Steady Eddy who has no major weaknesess in his game, think 32's on betfair is fair. Pablo Larrazabal had 2 doubles in his 1st round here last year - responded by going 36 holes without a bogey. Might be the one for the home fans to cheers on. David Howell is playing better better and i think the 130's on betfair is too big. Not sure he'll be winning but it is a tradeable price imo. His scoring average is not too shabby and he did finish 5th in Qatar. Played well here last year and he's definitely a better golfer 12 months on. Stephen Dodd is 320's on here. That's worth a nibble. Opened with a 65 in Sicily and this Welshman often keeps his form once he finds it..well that's the idea behind backing him anyway!!

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Malaysian Open So back to the grind of the usual tours and this week the "European" Tour is in Malaysia. It seems that looking at the winners, the majority of them were of Asian descent (7 of last 8) and those challenging, if not Asian, had previously proven records in Asia. The conditions in Malaysia are very similar to those in Thailand (apparently!) so a decent record in either Malaysia or Thailand is a must. I'll be overlooking the main guys - McIlroy and Schwartzel will be shattered from their Masters exploits, and Kaymer has not really performed since Abu Dhabi so shouldnt be single figures. Due to these guys at the top of the market, I feel there's a few guys further down who offer value... Simon Dyson @ 46 ew Boylesports Everytime the tour goes to Asia I look to Simon Dyson. A former Asian Tour order of merit winner, he clearly has pedigree in the region. In his last 7 visits to Malaysia, he has 6 top 18 finishes with top 3 finishes twice in the past 3 visits. Finished top 5 a few weeks ago in Sicily and top 30 in Morocco so should go well at decent odds here. Johan Edfors @ 51 ew VCBet 2nd last time out in Andalucia and with great form in Malaysia and Thailand, Edfors looks very decent odds. He finished top 10 on this course last year and the two previous years on different courses finished 10th and 11th. His last win also came in Asia in Thailand and I would expect him to challenge in this field in conditions he is comfortable with. Decent form, decent course form and a proven winner. 50s is a good price. Kiradech Aphibarnrat @ 67 ew VCBet 3rd here on this course last year, Aphibarnrat has improved significantly over the last year; this culminated with a win a few weeks ago on his last tournament. Finished 5th in Malaysia at the end of last year in the Iskandor Johor Open and 3rd in the Black Mountain Masters in Thailand just after so has shown good recent form in the region. These odds are more than fair. Tetsuji Hiratsuka @ 81 ew PaddyPower In his last 34 tournaments he has 3 wins and 9 top 10s...with two of these wins in Thailand showing he is more than happy with the conditions. In his last two tournaments on the European Tour has finished T18-T9. He missed the cut here last year but since then he has won 3 times so I wont dwell on that too long. 80s are very good odds for a guy in decent form with wins in this part of the world. Danny Willett @ 41 ew SportingBet It's only a matter of time before this kid wins. He is a quality player who was previously the number 1 amateur in the world. Best finish of the season last time out in Morocco, improving with every round to finish 11th. Finished 6th here last year so clearly deals well with the course and the conditions. Raphael Jacquelin @ 34 ew VCBet Has played brilliantly in recent weeks winning in Sicily and then finished 4th the week after. Finished in the top 30 in Morocco despite a second round 77 where a par round would have left in the top 10. Has played well in Malaysia in his last 3 outings with top 17 finishes in his last 3 visits. Finished 3rd on this course in 2006 so will have happy memories. Has previously won in Asia which is another positive to the list. GL :ok

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - China Open Giving this a go this week after noticing the strong form and super low scoring ability of the dane. Also found a small course form to go at: Robert-Jan Derksen @ 90 Betfair Has had a solid year this year, missing just two cuts and scoring a 4th a few weeks ago. His previous attempts at this tournament have yielded a 4th and a 6th so a lot of positive signs heading into this one for the Dutchman. Jeppe Huldahl @ 220 Betfair Also 1st Rnd Leader @ 126 E/W 1/4 1-2-3-4-5 Bet365 The dane managed a 4th place a few weeks ago after having a share of the 36 hole lead. He was within a couple of strokes of the 36 hole lead again last week before a poor 3rd round again put him out of contention. Still, he's made 2 cuts in his last 4 tournaments, and in the 2 where he did make the cut, he's shot a 65, 2x 66's and 2x 67's. If he can learn from his recent failures on the weekend then I think he'll be well in contention. Regardless, given his recent performances a 1st Round Leader bet is a must.

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Ballintines Championship Just taken nibbles at two local guys this week due to their record in their home country. Bae Sang-Moon @ 101 ew SportingBet On his last 16 tournaments on the Japanese and OneAsia Tours he has 10 top 10s including a win in his home country of South Korea. Clearly he can play. His recent record at home tournaments (most recent first) is 7-1-11-57-1-1 so with 3 wins in his last 6 home tournaments he clearly relishes playing in front of the home crowd. This is surely a step up in class but with a new course everyone will be on a level playing field and he will hopefully step up to give the home crowd a few things to shout about. Kim Dae-Hyun @ 201 ew BetFred Another player who clearly enjoys playing at home with a recent record of 5-7-2-1-14-7-13. The worst tournament in that sequence was a 14th at this tournament last year showing that he wont be overawed by the field in front of him. Missed the cut last week in China but hitting a second round 70 showed his game is still in decent working order having finished 5th on his last start before this (in Korea). He porbably wont have enough class to hang on but at 200s I'm willing to find out how good he can be on home soil! GL :hope

Re: Golf: European Tour 2011 - Ballintines Championship One more South Korean for me as I think he's been simmering towards this tournament... Kyung Tae Kim @ 41 ew Ladbrokes and 41 ew First Round Leader PaddyPower With KJ Choi and YE Yang, the 39th ranked player in the world and 3rd best Korean in the world seems to be a bit of a forgotten man...but I wont forget him! I've been waiting for him to burst onto more of a world stage having won the Japanese order of merit last year having won three tournaments and 12 more top 10s in only 21 tournaments. Excellent stats. This year, he has started pretty well and finished a decent 44th on his Masters debut. Since then he has finished 12th and 7th in his last two tournaments in Japan leading up to this so should be feeling pretty good about coming home. Additionally in 2007, he won the Asian Tour tournament in South Korea by 5 shots over Wen Chong Liang to win by 5shots. He knows the conditions and knows how to get the job done, and 40s it sounds good to me. The other thing with Kim is that he has traditionally been a quick starter. Since he joined the Japanese Tour as a 20 year old he has played 56 tournaments, ended round 1 as the outright leader 7 times and finished in the top 5 another 9 times. With an early tee-time at 7.30am the 40s with PP looks like value. GL :hope